Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pokemon Diamond & Pearl Adventure! Discussion Thread

The art is strange. Almost inconsistant, especially in the final volume. But when it's good, it's REALLY good.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

Have you ever noticed this manga's heavy influence from Dragon Ball?

Hareta's character is basically just like Goku: very powerful, very naive, always means well, used to live in a forest by himself... then one day he meets a girl and sets off on an adventure to find a legendary dragon! After that story is over, he goes on to fight in a tournament.

I mean, come on! The similarities are too much. He even has the old, bearded master and the womanizer rival (Krilin wanted to be womanizer, just like Jun wants to too XD).

Another similarity is that in Dragon Ball, a lot of the enemies become friends after being defeated by Goku (Krilin, Ten Shin Han, even Piccolo). In this case, Team Galactic (specially B2).

I still really enjoyed reading it but there are really striking similarities!

^Now that you mention it, Hareta really looks a lot like Goku too. The hair looks really similar.

The TV Tropes article refers to it as "Like Dragonball, but with pokemon".
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

^
    Pretty much sums up DPA! I guess. ^U^

I didn't notice the art changes until I re-read the series.
    I think I noticed it more with Jun.
    After about vol. 4 or 5, Jun started looking less gay girly...
    BUNP

Saturn on the other hand...

Also, for anyone interested in checking out said page, here.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    Saturn on the other hand...

Also, for anyone interested in checking out said page, here.
    That's a really cool website. I love the "this series provides examples of" list, especially things like "Adaptation Dye Job" and "Blind Idiot Translation." Really funny stuff. ^^

So by now you all may have noticed that I contributed some DPA icons to this site. I'm making more (including some Golden Boys and PokeWake), but I need your assistance. I want you guys to suggest some icons for me to make!

I've made some more of Creepy Charon because those are always good, some determined Hareta, some of Palmer, and so on. Anyone else you guys want to see? Oh yes, and I got B-2's butt.

Oh yes, and I got B-2's butt.
    Do you have the one from volume eight (I think) where B-2 and Prof. Rowan are in the plane, and B-2 has his butt in Rowan's face? I loved that scene. ^_^

Not yet I don't.

Also, before you ask, I WANTED to do one of the shot where B-2 and Hareta are "butt-ies", but it can't be cropped right without huuuuuge speech bubbles in the shot.

^ Lmao. oh B2.

Any Mitsumi ones are fine with me. :3
    BUNP

Absolutely loved this series, particulary because of the TG focus. They're my favourite bad guys to come from Pokemon and personally, I think they were pretty much nailed in terms of character. Cyrus was also brilliant! (favourite character from Pokemon by far!)

This is also the first manga I've read. I'm gonna move onto Pokemon special next I think, probably starting with D,P,Pt. Anyone know if it's available in the UK?

So by now you all may have noticed that I contributed some DPA icons to this site. I'm making more (including some Golden Boys and PokeWake), but I need your assistance. I want you guys to suggest some icons for me to make!

I've made some more of Creepy Charon because those are always good, some determined Hareta, some of Palmer, and so on. Anyone else you guys want to see? Oh yes, and I got B-2's butt.
    Just saw this. More Cyrus ones please! Particularly the last frame of this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ntasyclose.jpg Will be much appreciated!

Hoenn, here I come!

I like you.

Yeah, I love what they did with him in DPA. Evil but still making full use of the sympathy we have for him...and exploring the consequences of his affectionless life. Ihara really picked up on a lot of things the fans did, such as his hidden want to be adored, and the true strength of his emotions...It was fascinating to see those fan theories played out in canon.

Although two things that could have been better about DPA Cyrus--I would have liked to have seen Ihara start him off as "emotionless" like in the games, which would have made his eventual break even more powerful. And his change of heart could have been explained better. I know he had a lot of time to think offscreen, but a bit of insight into that would have been appreciated. (and a third thing--his art in the last volume is really inconsistant. Why is he suddenly barrel-chested with a snub nose? WTF Ihara?)

Also Mitsumi could have gotten more credit. She also helped melt that icy heart, and I think had a deeper relationship with Cyrus than Hareta did, when it came down to it (although I ship both pairs, let's be honest). But then, Hareta didn't really change over the course of the series, while they both did. Mitsumi's changes were more internal, though, more dealing with her coping with her past, while Cyrus's were a complete change of life.

...I tell you, you know what would have made an awesome epilogue? And I was very disappointed that this never went anywhere--that much-promised battle between Hareta and Cyrus. The last one honestly can't count, since Cyrus just stood there (what DID happen to his pokemon anyway? Did they run afowl of Charon's experiments?).

Also I wanted Hareta to meet Arceus. Surprised he didn't.

Yeah, I love what they did with him in DPA. Evil but still making full use of the sympathy we have for him...and exploring the consequences of his affectionless life. Ihara really picked up on a lot of things the fans did, such as his hidden want to be adored, and the true strength of his emotions...It was fascinating to see those fan theories played out in canon.
    I really think this is what made Ihara's Cyrus memorable.
    I'm glad he did pick up on stuff that fans already deduced from game!Cyrus. :3

Although two things that could have been better about DPA Cyrus--I would have liked to have seen Ihara start him off as "emotionless" like in the games, which would have made his eventual break even more powerful. And his change of heart could have been explained better. I know he had a lot of time to think offscreen, but a bit of insight into that would have been appreciated. (and a third thing--his art in the last volume is really inconsistant. Why is he suddenly barrel-chested with a snub nose? WTF Ihara?)

Also Mitsumi could have gotten more credit. She also helped melt that icy heart, and I think had a deeper relationship with Cyrus than Hareta did, when it came down to it (although I ship both pairs, let's be honest). But then, Hareta didn't really change over the course of the series, while they both did. Mitsumi's changes were more internal, though, more dealing with her coping with her past, while Cyrus's were a complete change of life.
    Emotionless Cyrus in the beginning would have been nice to see as well. It would also have surprised alot of fans as he grew more passionate about his new world thing. I wished they would have showed more stuff with Cyrus beginning his change of heart... The only parts we really saw were during Hareta and Cyrus' first battle and then after he gave that really long rant in vol.5 about useless emotions, after he saw Hareta crying. (the art thing bothered me too BlackJack. ._.; )

I'm surprised about that too. :c Mitsumi had alot to do with Cyrus' development as well, seeing as he practically raised her. Both of their changes would have never happened without each other, that's what I think. And that's also why the part in Vol. 8 when he officially frees her from Team Galactic seems so heartwarming to me. It was a sign that Cyrus' definitely changed for the better.

...I tell you, you know what would have made an awesome epilogue? And I was very disappointed that this never went anywhere--that much-promised battle between Hareta and Cyrus. The last one honestly can't count, since Cyrus just stood there (what DID happen to his pokemon anyway? Did they run afowl of Charon's experiments?).

Also I wanted Hareta to meet Arceus. Surprised he didn't.
    :'c I really wanted to see that Hareta Vs. Cyrus' fight. (though yeah, his pokemon were MIA since Vol. 3...). It would have been epic...

Same with an Arceus Vs. Hareta fight. Because only Hareta can make bffs with God.

Also, eeee~ thank you Black Jack for the icons. *uses one* :3
    BUNP

Yeah, the part where he freed her was really touching. She already knew, basically, but it showed such great change in him that I started tearing up. And of course, she could leave her doubt behind.

And that she went back to aid them was awesome. Yes she could leave her past behind, but in the present, she was making her own decision to stay with them. She left Team Galactic, but she chose not to leave the people, and that was a really big step forward for all of them. Compare that with when they all encountered each other in volume 2. Mitsumi was shaking, Jupiter was yelling, all sorts of things, and they all came to accept each other.

I like how Jupiter was more fleshed out too. She's usually the most ignored of the commanders. Heck, the anime waited until the last possible moment to let her shine and then they wrote her out of the climax, and I don't know who Special thinks they're writing about but that's sure not the flirty, sarcastic Jupiter from the games. Showing Jupiter, and to a lesser extent Mars and Saturn, accepting affection and realizing that they don't have to be badass all the time and can let themselves feel weakness...that was some nice development. Although it'd be nice to have had backstory, but there's only so much Ihara could have done since they have no backstories in the games.

One thing that would have been awesome but there just wasn't any space for it in the comic--Hareta meeting Cyrus's grandfather. It would have made for the perfect DPA-style mood swing. First, depressing backstory! Then, embarassing baby pictures! ("Wow, he was a fat little kid!" "Haha look at the snowsuit! How can someone glare when they're in a snowsuit? He looks like an evil snowman!"). And then some more depressing backstory before sending them on their way.

It would also have been nifty to see Ihara's take on the Rotom plot.

No no, the ultimate for Hareta to make friends with would be Mewtwo. Also N.

The Mitsumi in vol. 2 was different from the one after vol. 5. Definitely. She showed that she was truly terrified of Cyrus, but after Vol. 5, her fear went away I guess. Then Vol. 8, she did show concern about helping the commanders free Cyrus, and even he was surprised that, after everything he's done, she decided to help him anyway.

The commanders were cool. Ihara's Jupiter is definitely my favorite version of her. And Mars in DPA! was also really likeable (SpecialVerse!Mars gave me the creeps. *shudder*). And I know what you mean about showing weakness. The Deoxys bonus chapter with Mars was pretty cute. She blushed when Hareta said that Deoxys is everyone's friend, even hers. >w<

That would have been awesome. *A* too bad Ihara kinda rushed through most of the cities. And we didn't even see Sunnyshore. :c disappointing... I would've liked to see Hareta run amok in Sunnyshore.

...oAo....I really would like to see him interact with N. It would prove to be entertaining. ewe ehehehe
    BUNP

On the Spear Pillar I think is when that changed. That's when Mitsumi's feelings towards Cyrus seemed to switch from fear to pity. He wasn't the confident, heartless overlord any more, but showed his true self--a severely mentally ill man motivated by his own fear. And her compassion towards him, despite what he'd done to her already, was very powerful. It's never stated that she forgave him, and really I don't think she did, at least not entirely. But she was willing and able to look past that and see that he needed help. Which is something I wish we could do in the games. Yes, he needed to be stopped and yes he did some incredibly vile, wicked things. But at the same time he is very sick, and it seems that Ihara's the only one who took that into consideration.

I love DPA Mars. Although I have to say I kinda like Psycho Hosebeast Mars from Special too. Something I've wondered--when Koya says that he didn't find any other Galactics inside, and Mars is slinking off clearly in sight, did Looker see her and just play along? Because he doesn't really have any reason to ignore her being there, since he doesn't know that she's effectively quit, and even if he did, she's still a criminal.

Oh man, Hareta in Sunyshore would have been hilarious. "Hareta, put some shoes on! You'll leave footprints all over the solar panels!"

And man Hareta meeting N. I'd pay good money to see that. "You were raised by pokemon too? AWESOME!" "I...I want to hear their voices?" "...Yeah I don't think you want to hear what Empoleon just said about you because it was pretty rude. But I don't think you're creepy!"

And that's why Ihara is awesome. *nods*

I found that weird too. I'm all "Looker, she's right over there!"
    Maybe he did play along. He was smiling, wasn't he?

I could only imagine how many things could break with Hareta in Sunnyshore. Volkner will be displeased...(or indifferent. It's hard to tell with him. ono;; )

Poor N will probably wonder what's wrong with this boy. (unless this is ooc, since I haven't played the games yet, and I've been avoiding Team Plasma and N spoilers)
    BUNP

It seems odd for Looker to play along, considering everything. But then we're dealing with a world where only Charon got arrested and even the grunts only got a stern talking-to.

Oh goodness, Hareta would break the entire gym. And since the gym is connected to the city's power supply in obscene ways, there's a big chance that he'd break all of Sunyshore.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow_Lugia_XD001 View Post
    Absolutely loved this series, particulary because of the TG focus. They're my favourite bad guys to come from Pokemon and personally, I think they were pretty much nailed in terms of character. Cyrus was also brilliant! (favourite character from Pokemon by far!)

This is also the first manga I've read. I'm gonna move onto Pokemon special next I think, probably starting with D,P,Pt. Anyone know if it's available in the UK?

Just saw this. More Cyrus ones please! Particularly the last frame of this: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ntasyclose.jpg Will be much appreciated!
    Hahahahaha! Nice one, Shadow_Lugia_XD001! Poor Cyrus and Saturn.

When did they mention Saturn there?

Hey im curious, does anyone have scans in englsih of Jun protecting Mitsumi from the Rampardos? Just wanted to see because more or less it was the last JunXMitsumi hint

When did they mention Saturn there?
    Mistook Jupiter for Saturn in the manga scan perhaps?

Hoenn, here I come!

Quote Originally Posted by gangsta_pigs View Post
    Hey im curious, does anyone have scans in englsih of Jun protecting Mitsumi from the Rampardos? Just wanted to see because more or less it was the last JunXMitsumi hint
    I don't think we can really show scans of that scene. I think it takes up the whole page. oo;
    Sorry I can't help you there.
    BUNP

No, you can't take the entire manga, scan the entire contents, and post it for everyone to read.

One single page means nothing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast