Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #2

easily one of the best pokemon in the game.
    Untill Gen 5. Ttar lost a lot of its effectiveness thanks to Roopshin and other types of weather now being predominate in OU. Dragon Dance Tyranitar (once its goddamn flagship set) is now completely innefective due to the ridiculous prevalence of Scarfers that can outspeed it and the multitude of Fighting- and Steel-type priority moves in OU, and its inability to get past Roobshin. This, combined with the fact that the most prominent Sand Sweeper (Doryuuzu) also has problems with Roopshin's Mach Punch means that Tyranitar has lost a lot of usability in favor of Salamence and Hippowdon as a Dragon Dancer and Sandstorm inducer, respectively.

Again, I'll be making a list of teammates.

Slowbro: I know, you guys probably lol'd. Check again, though. Slowbro checks Pokemon such as Breloom (provided the Sleep Clause is in effect), Doryuuzu without X-Scissor, Gliscor, Flygon, Blaziken, and a few others that can threaten Tyranitar, as well as being one of the best Roopshin counters in the game. It can offer status support with Thunder Wave, crippling faster Scarfed Pokemon and opposing sweepers, and it can tank hits extremely well thanks to Slack Off and its potential Regeneration ability (not sure if it's released yet). It resists both Steel- and Fighting-priority moves as well.

Also, in case you didn't know, Slowbro is being hailed as one of the most anti-metagame Pokemon there is over on Smogon.

Starmie Pretty much the same as Slowbro, only Starmie gets Natural Cure instead of Regeneration, which is useful for taking status. However, Starmie isn't nearly as bulky, and should instead stick to the Scarfed variant when assisting Tyranitar.

Burungeru: One of the best Bulky Waters in the game, and for good reason, Burungeru makes an excellent Tyranitar partner. It checks many of the same threats that Slowbro does, but unfortunately has more trouble with Roopshin, thanks in part to Roobshin's lower Speed stat and Payback.

Randorosu: Since Doryuuzu benefits more from being partnered with Hippowdon, it's pretty natural that its buddy Randorosu would benefit more from being with Tyranitar. Randorosu particularly enjoys being partnered with Choice Scarf Tyranitar so that some of its checks like Starmie and Desukan can be picked off early.

Gliscor: The support side of Randorosu. SR, decent synergy, benefits from Sand Stream with Sand Veil, scouts with U-Turn. The works.

Celebi: Another excellent partner for Tyranitar, Celebi can either play it offensive and act as a scarfer or Life Orb user, or it can go defensive and SubSeed everything to death. Thunder Wave, Stealth Rock, and Natural Cure are nice bonuses to add to the list. Resists Ground, Water, Grass, and Fighting-type moves.

Skarmory: A good partner for Defensive Tyranitar, Skarmory can lay any type of Entry Hazard while taking letting Tyranitar take Special Attacks aimed at its weaker defense stat, particularly Fire-type moves that Tyranitar resists. Skarmory also checks Roopshin decently and can phaze the Bulk Up version to get rid of its boosts. Skarmory also enjoys the phasing support Tyranitar provides with Dragon Tail / Roar.

Rotom-M/Most Rotom-A formes: Most of the Rotom formes work well together with Tyranitar, but Mow Rotom is probably the best. It provides resistances to Steel-, Grass-, and Water-type moves, and immunity to Ground-type moves. In addition, Rotom-M can provide status support with Thunder Wave or Will-O-Wisp.

Salamence: Resists all of Tyranitar's weaknesses, save for Steel. It carries Intimidate to soften up physical blows, while Tyranitar can take Special moves thanks to Sand Stream, offering decent synergy statwise as well. MixTar can eliminate Skarmory and other physical walls so DD Salamence can get off a sweep.

More as I think of them.
    Last edited by Eon Master; 12th January 2011 at 1:57 PM.
    "I'm fighting because there's a battle to be fought, Archer. I'm fighting to win. That's all."
    "Hm. Alright, Rin. You are indeed my ideal Master. There is no one else I could hope to serve."

Default Double/Triple Wonder-Trick Room Sandstorm Tyranitar

What a long title!

Doubles:

Nature: Bold or Timid
    EVs: 252 Def, 252 Spd, 4 Sp.Att
    Item: Life Orb or Leftovers
    Moves:
    Rock Polish/Thunder Wave
    Dark Pulse/Bark Out
    Ancient Power
    Earth Power/Focus Blast

The rock polish will boost its speed up or paralyze an annoying foe while a partner sets up a wonder room. Then you sweep away! Make sure your partner is able to take down any fighting types. Rankurusu is your best bet because it can set up a wonder room and not get hurt by the sandstorm. To make it harder for you opponent to break through its boosted Sp. Def., you can use bark out to lower Sp. Att.

Triples:

Note: You can use the doubles set tyranitar and have a Follow Me or a Wide Guard user protect your wonder room setter and tyranitar while he boosts its speed. If you plan to combine with Trick Room, here's the thing for that:

Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 Def, 252 Att, 4 Sp.Def
    Item: Life Orb or King's Rock
    Moves:
    Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    Dark Pulse/Crunch
    Focus Blast/Flamethrower
    Thunderbolt

While the room setters set up, you can start off the battle with a physical move. After the rooms are ready, go and crush you opponent with a surprise Sp. Att. move. For some support (like if your partners set up the reflect and the light screen), use the rock slide and hope the opponent flinches.

Emergency: If Tyranitar faints, send in a Steelix with special moves to take its place.

Other things: If there's a persistent grass-knotter or a low-kicker that your partners can't deal with, you can give tyranitar a pumice stone. If you want to keep the defense high, you can give it iron defense or curse.

Counters: From the switch of defense and Sp. Attack, its very vulnerable to physical fighters. Weavile will be the worst of the bunch with its resistances.

I hope this will work out for you all. =)

< I feel Special inside! )

Tyranitar
    @ Leftovers
    252 HP 252 Def 4 Att
    Nature: Adamant/Impish/Careful
    Rest
    Sleep talk
    Dragon Tail
    Stone Edge/coverage move

Okay, so for this set to work to it's full potential, Tyranitar needs a partner who can set up entry hazards as well as a partner to spread status. Basically you're trying to combine sandstorm damage with entry hazards and status in order to stack residual damage as well as causing damage with Dragon Tail. Nattorei is great as it can lay spikes. Also a partner with Stealth Rock is helpful too. Burungeru is a good partner as it can come in on any water, fighting, or possible bug moves as well as blocking any rapid spinners. It can also cripple physical attackers with Will-o-Wisp making Tyranitar even more difficult to take down. Although situational, Psychic may be given to Burungeru in order to take down things like Roobushin and other fighting types attempting to stop Tyranitar.

So the Evs are meant to make Tyranitar as bulky as possible. The nature comes down to preference, you can either make it more bulky or allow it to hit a little harder.

Rest allows you to keep healing while sleep talk allows you to lay the smack on pokemon while you are sleeping. Dragon Tail is for your phazing so you can rack up residual damage while also stopping set ups. Stone Edge is for coverage, but you could easily substitute earthquake or whatever you think would be helpful.

So this Tyranitar is a little unconventional, but if played with proper support, it can be extremely difficult to take down.

Any flaws that might hinder this set? Or something that may be improved upon?

Alpha Sapphire --> Arceus is the Alpha pokemon --> Arceus is a generation 4 pokemon --> Sinnoh confirmed!!

(Yeah, get used to it now, because this is what you're going to have to put up with for the next 5-7 years)

I really didn't want to have to repeat this, but defensive sets should always run a Fire attack and/or Superpower, as the former eliminates Skarm, who's a hindrance to sand sweepers, and more importantly means that Nattorei can't consistently set up on you.

And not to shoot down creativity, but I personally think that the only sets worth including are Choice Band, BaitTar, Spec. Defensive MixTar, and MixTar. CurseTar and most other Defensive TTar just aren't really good this gen because due to the commonality of fighting types, it's defensive typing is just plain horrible, and it's setup bait for a ton of stuff. And Scarftar doesn't really have any use outside of trapping Lati@s and Rankurusu.
    Last edited by windsong; 10th January 2011 at 7:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masteryoshimon View Post

Mix-Sweeper Tyranitar

Tyranitar
    Naive
    252 Attk/ 252 SAttk/ 4 HP
    Sand Stream
    Leftovers
    -Hone Claws
    -Stone Edge
    -Dark Pulse/ Fire Blast/ Thunder/ Blizzard/ Earthquake/ Surf
    -Dark Pulse/ Fire Blast/ Thunder/ Blizzard/ Earthquake/ Surf

Hone Claws, Stone Edge, you get the idea. Dark Pulse you get STAB, but with the Accuracy boost, Fire Blast is 100%, while Thunder and Blizzard get 95% Accuracy. They're all more powerful than Dark Pulse and all can inflict status conditions on your opponent (Blizzard also destroys Dragons). Earthquake benefits from the attack boost and gets pretty good coverage. Surf, great attack, good coverage, but isn't as powerful as Fire Blast/ Thunder/ Blizzard. Leftovers to extend life, and Naive nature to boost Speed.

Don't ever use Thunder on Sandstream Tyranitar. During a Sandstorm, Thunder's accuracy gets nerfed down to 50%, so even after Hone Claws you still only have 67% accuracy on Thunder, meaning a lot less expected damage than from Thunderbolt.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 10th January 2011 at 4:04 PM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Teach it moves that pwn its weakness and some for clever strategies!

Teach it:
    Earthquake (Beats those Fire/Fighting starters, destroys electric types as well)

Thunder (Zaps those water and flying types)

Ice punch (Get it from battle frontier so it can knock out ground and dragon types. Tyranitar has a great attack stat so this is a perfect move)

Outrage (Also from the battle frontier of Sinnoh and Johto, use this to wipe out dragon type Pokemon with full power! Give Tyranitar a persim berry to recover it from its confusion once)

Thunder should deserve a mention once tyranitar gains its DW abilty (Tension). Otherwise, you'd hae to rely on your foes to have rain dance team. As mentioned earlier, sand stream hinders its accuracy. Reason to give it thunder is also for its 30% chance of PAR, compared to the rest of electical moves that have 10% PAR. Reason not to is its Sand Stream.

Thunderpunch is a physical alternative eelctric move to tyranitar. Tyranitar can learn it from 4th gen move tutor (http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wi...By_leveling_up). The only legimatcy issue it has is with tension abilty; correct me if I'm wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by ThePretenderXXUSA
    Lets get ready to rumble!!!!
    Nature: Adament
    Ability: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 Spd/252 Atk/4 HP
    Items: Life Orb/ Choice Band
    Moveset:
    *Ice Fang/ Ice Punch
    *Stone Edge
    *Earthquake
    *Crunch

This Tyranitar is great when it comes to fighting Fire, Ghost, pure Physic, Steel, and Electric.

This Tyranitar has definately some key disadvantages. First, when it comes to speed, Tyranitar isnt the fastest, and there are some pokemon that can handle him pretty easily, that with one simple blow can take down this tower of a pokemon. Fighter-type pokemon, like Lucario, Medicham, Breloom, etc. can easily pull off a fighting move and with a x4 advantage knock out Tyranitar completely, even if Tyranitar can wipe them out. Bulky water pokemon, like Swampert and Whishcash can sustain all of this Tyranitars attacks, and with water and ground attacks they can send Tyranitar to its doom. Bug attacks, which have a x2 advantage, can take out this Tyranitar, pokemon who out speed him like Yanmega (which has an incredible Sp. attack stat) or Armaldo (with a nice Attack stat), so Tyranitar might have trouble there.

Other Attack Choices:
    Outrage: Good with high attack and accuacy, but, when it comes to knocking down Steel pokemon, not your best solution. Plus, the fatigue which leads to confusion can be dangerous, unless you simply switch it out if the field.
    Thunder Fang/ Thunder Punch: Pretty nice to take out flying pokemon, but Ice Fang/ Ice Punch can already do that. It is good, however, to knock out one of his opponents, water pokemon.
    Fire Fang/ Fire Punch: can be nice to have fire attacks, but in the end result not the best attack to use when it comes to fighting Dragon, Ground, Water, Fire, or Rock types.
    Super Power: It has one kick-butt attack, 120, but still wont help clear up Fighters, plus, his attack and defense stats are lowers, which is just aweful for those are two key stats.
    Focus Punch: Nothing much to say here, very good attack, only you have to wait and pray to see if he opponent doesnt attack you
    Aqua Tail: Its good to see that ones weakness can become a strength against ground and rock types, but, with no real damage to water types and already having earthquake which can take out Fire, Steel, Electric, and Rock, this attack is maily if the user likes aqua tail or not. I personally dont like it for its accuracy 90, for even though its close, it can still miss.
    Arial Ace: Gets rid of the annoying figters and is nice for its attack never misses.
    Hone Claws: Ups attack and accuracy, greatfor if you want to assure your Stone Edge becomes a total weapon of mass destruction.

Now this other Tyranitar is just for fun, not really recomemnded for techinically has no good use. Could be fun to use while you roam around Unova, but when it comes to competitive challenges this Tyranitar wont make a big entrance.
    I have been wondering for a while; why are the fangs included? Punches are superior to fangs in both accuracy and power. Sure, fangs can also flinch the foes, but that is 5% chance overall.
    Last edited by pikadon92; 10th January 2011 at 3:19 PM.

Thunder isn't a good option at all, even with the Dreamworld Ability, because without Sand Stream, TTar gets **** special defense, destroying his ability to switch into say, miscellaneous Draco Meteors with any ease, loses the ability to pivot in on rain and sun, etc. And in Sand Thunder is 50&#37; accurate.

Also there's the issue that the only use for Thunder on TTar is to hit random bulky waters who are bulkier on the special side anyways and can take it easily, or the random Kabutops. Which is in no way worth using it over other moves, such as Fire Blast, Superpower, etc.

I know! T-tar would work great on a sand-storm-trick-room team. Or you could go for a pure power Ttar.

Pointy Tip T-Tar

Stone Edge
    Hone Claws
    Dragon Claw
    Fire Fang
    (Jolly, +Speed, -SpAtk)
    Evs: 254 Speed, 254 Atk, 4 Hp
    Item: Scope Lens

Hone Claws+Stone Edge=Deadly. Making his attack deadly and giving stone edge an accuracy boost, this set can and will annihilate foes. And, with perfect neutral coverage, this is AWESOME!

And Kyogre is a great counter.

And dream world dialga + empoleon is a good triple battle, as they both resist sandstorm and can use full-range attacks.

So? Whaddya think?
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpip View Post
    I know! T-tar would work great on a sand-storm-trick-room team. Or you could go for a pure power Ttar.

Pointy Tip T-Tar

Stone Edge
    Hone Claws
    Dragon Claw
    Fire Fang
    (Jolly, +Speed, -SpAtk)
    Evs: 254 Speed, 254 Atk, 4 Hp
    Item: Scope Lens

Hone Claws+Stone Edge=Deadly. Making his attack deadly and giving stone edge an accuracy boost, this set can and will annihilate foes. And, with perfect neutral coverage, this is AWESOME!

And Kyogre is a great counter.

And dream world dialga + empoleon is a good triple battle, as they both resist sandstorm and can use full-range attacks.

So? Whaddya think?
    - Increasing speed in a Trick Room team is very stupid, especially with both Jolly nature and EVs wrecking you.
    - I... really don't think banking on Hone Claws and Stone Edge is wise. It makes him to predictable and easily countered. I'd say with a Trick Room set and Life Orb (Why the heck use Scope Lens, the luck v.s. consistency debate always goes with consistency) that uses Stone Edge, Crunch, Dragon Claw/Pulse and Flamethrower/Fire Blast. Mixed TTar has a lot of viability in 5th Gen. When people see Hone Claws, they expect Stone Edge. It's too easily countered.
    - Kyogre alone as a counter seems insufficient. TTar is countered by a lot of pokemon. Kyogre counters a whole mess of stuff also. It was the last pokemon of the week for 4th Gen for a reason, save the best for last.
    - There's no call for Telepathy on Dialga unless TTar packs Earthquake and Empoleon packs Surf. And even then, Dialga resists Surf and Empoleon isn't exactly a heavy hitter.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

I'm just going to go ahead and post what seems to be an effective set for a Generation 5 Tyranitar in this thread, just to see what I can contribute I guess... If there is anything wrong with this [which there probably will be] let me know. Anyways, I have seen a lot of these kind of Tyranitar running around:

Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP | 40 Atk | 96 SpA | 120 SpD 0 Spe IVs*
    Nature: Quiet
    ~ Substitute
    ~ Focus Punch
    ~ Flamethrower
    ~ Crunch

Classic TyraniBOAH set as I am sure most of you may recognize. This Tyranitar is especially effective in this generation with the prevalence of pokemon like Nattorei, Skarmory, and Forretress running around. This Tyranitar will easily be able to break the Burungeru + Nattorei stalling combination as if I recall correctly with those EVs, Tyranitar's substitute won't break after one boiling water attack from Burungeru. Also, most stall teams are no match for Tyranitar. Pokemon such as Evolution Stone Chansey combined with a partner such as Skarmory or Nattorei will become much easier to take down with the combination of substitute, focus punch and flamethrower. If you're wondering why 0 Speed IVs are used it is because you need to be able to take Nattorei's gyro ball easier if you ever need to possibly switch Tyranitar into Nattorei. As I think Epic Evee previously said in this thread, Mixed Tyranitar is the best set for Tyranitar in this generation really. Most physical Tyranitar are set up fodder for Nattorei or Skarmory which really isn't good considering the abundance of these two pokemon [Nattorei especially]. In short the EVs are used for having a guaranteed 2HKO on Burungeru with Crunch as well as Chansey or Blissey with Focus Punch. The special attack grants a 2HKO on Special Defensive Skarmory, Forretress, and Nattorei, which is a real selling point of Tyranitar in this generation.

I guess that was a pretty good summary of a seemingly effective Tyranitar set in Generation 5. Sorry if this wasn't really that original or what you wanted, I just posted a set that I found to be very effective in the beginnings of the B/W metagame.

Credits to Arkeis for the animated picture btw.
    [12:46:24 PM] Garza: yeah yeah
    [12:46:34 PM] Garza: your a tubular troller

mangoes, peaches, and limes

Honestly, I am incredibly disappointed that apparently no one held any notice to my Salamence post, not even my variations of RestTalk Mence. I know this sounds narcissic, but if no one pays attention to me this time around, I will stop spending time contributing to PotW. I'm sorry, I just can't invest so much time and effort here only for it to be ignored. New changes: I have decided to list the Pokemon's tiering and weight damages to precede the overview.

Tyranitar - OU
    HP 100, Atk 134, Def 110, SpAtk 95, 100 Def, 61 Spd
    Low Kick/Grass Knot power: 120

Overview: We welcome yet another star player back for another Generation. Much like Salamence, Tyranitar is bolstered mainly through its powerful typing and monstrous mixed attacking potential. Rock/Dark is a special typing, and grants it powerful coverage in Stone Edge and Crunch. As a pseudo-legendary, it also receives many unique moves given its unique typing. Perhaps one of its most notable traits of all comes in the form of Sand Stream, the key component in any team trying to stall with Sand or activate the powers of Sand Throw or Sand Power.

Ability:
    -Sand Stream: As aforementioned, Sand Stream has been Tyranitar's main claim to fame. The second it enters battle, permanent Sand graces through the rest of the match. As a standalone, this extra damage not only complements Tyranitar as a whole (both offensive and defensive), it gives a crucial 50&#37; boost to all Rock type's SpDef (including Tyranitar itself). Though the damage on yourself may be rather annoying, there will be very rare circumstances where your opponent will benefit from it more than you will.

Hidden Ability:
    Tension-Your opponent cannot consume Berries so long Tyranitar is in the field, though it does not negate the power of Natural Gifts, nor are Berries extremely common Items. Unless your team has a very complex strategy that requires the lack of Sand Stream (possibly the best examples are being paired with Shedinja or Tyranitar on another weather-based team), use Sand Stream.

BandTar @ Choice Band
    Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    180 HP, 252 Atk, 76 Spd
    Stone Edge
    Crunch
    Earthquake
    Fire Punch

This is the most straightforward Tyranitar set that can be run. Tyranitar's already record-breaking Attack stat is made bone-breaking with a 50% boost. Combined with Tyranitar's excellent moves, it gains Stone Edge + Earthquake for near perfect coverage, rounded out with STAB Crunch. The final slot is Fire Punch for default to destroy targets such Scizor or Nattorei, but truly can be replaced by any strong option, such as Pursuit.
    Such a Tyranitar should not be relied upon to sweep all by itself, nor is it meant to effectively revenge-kill. BandTar should utilize its brick defenses and resistances to easily come into attacks, then unleash a unbelievably powerful strike. Chances are, however, your opponent can take advantage of Tyranitar's Choiced move to earn a free set-up turn, forcing Tyranitar to possibly switch.
    The 76 Speed EVs permit Tyranitar to outrun Skarmory and eventually beat it down with Stone Edge, though this number may be increased or decreased to your own content.

ScarfTar @ Choice Scarf
    Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
    4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Sand Stream
    Stone Edge
    Crunch
    Pursuit/Ice Beam
    Earthquake/Low Kick

This set has seen a lot more usage nearing the end of the Fourth Generation. It exchanges the power of Band to remedy its painful Speed, while still retaining most of its original offense.
    The secret lies primarily in its fast Pursuit. Why use Scarf in tandem with a weak move that is designed to nab Pokemon on the switch? Tyranitar's gargantuan Atk, plus STAB and the fact Pursuit mainly strikes Pokemon weak to Dark lifts much of the weak points of the move. Upon seeing Tyranitar, Pokemon such as Gengar or Starmie's innate instinct is to flee, while Pursuit destroys them regardless of Band or not. Should they have the insight to remain on the field, they chance an immediate OHKO from Crunch. Pursuit still gets the 2HKO, and thanks to Scarf, Tyranitar will only have to receive one survivable hit (especially if the target is Choiced itself). Aside from all that, Tyranitar still makes for a moderately fast powerhouse and clean-upper reminiscent of the first set.
    As always, Fire Punch or any other type of physical move can be run in place of Pursuit, or, more likely, Earthquake (as it is the most expendable move on the set).

SpecsTar @ Choice Specs
    Modest (+SpAtk, -Atk)
    Sand Stream
    Dark Pulse
    Fire Blast/Flamethrower
    Ice Beam
    Thunderbolt

Tyranitar's 134 Base Attack is completely ignored in favor of its still respectfully high 95 Bast Special Attack. Perhaps the greatest advantage of this Tyranitar (aside from its broad array of Special attacking options) would be the surprise factor onto your opponent. Imagine your opponent exchanging Ononokusu into a Gliscor, only to be struck head-on by Ice Beam, from Gyarados to Skarmory right on cue for Thunderbolt, or just the plain satisfaction of blowing Fire Blast straight onto Nattorei. Of course, I am only hypothesizing best-case scenarios, but I still stand by the fact Tyranitar's attack options and stats coupled with its other unique oppurtunities mean such a set should not be written off. In fact, you may find yourself using this team more often than you would believe due to the high number of Physical attackers already on a team Tyranitar would find itself on.
    Just like the first set, the Speed EVs list the bare minimum to outrun Skarmory, though may be increased to max if you deem necessary.

DDTar @ Life Orb/Lum Berry/Balloon/Babiri Berry/Chople Berry
    Jolly (+Spd, -SpAtk)
    4 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Spd
    Sand Stream
    Dragon Dance
    Stone Edge
    Crunch
    Earthquake

This is Tyranitar's main boosting move, notable for using up a turn in order to give itself both a Band and a Scarf plus any additional Item. The dual power of Rock and Dark is here, along with Earthquake to round things out. As usual, many moves are admittable to replace Earthquake. They have all been relegated to the Other Options, as Earthquake holds the most generality.

Curse @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    Careful (+SpDef, -SpAtk)
    252 HP, 4 Def, 252 SpDef, 0 Speed IV
    Sand Stream
    Curse
    Rest
    Crunch/Payback/Assurance
    Sleep Talk/Fire Punch/Stone Edge/Dragon Tail/Thunder Wave

In lieu of the previous set, Tyranitar's other boosting move Curse allows it to forgo becoming a dominating Physical wrecking ball into an incredibly sturdy threatening Wall. This is Tyranitar's least reckless set and is its best option for being defensive midgame. Coupled with naturally forgettable Speed, Curse, and the Speed IV, Payback matches Stone Edge for Tyranitar's most powerful move, not only being more reliable and having double the PP but also attaining muych more neutral coverage. However, Payback has been horrible nerfed in the Generation shift. Its power now gets cut in half should the opponent switch or use a negatively prioritied move. Assurance is the inverse of this: it attains the 100 Power should the opponent use a recoil attack or switches into Stealth Rock or Spikes, but loses everywhere else. Crunch is Tyranitar's all-around best primary offence. It stands static at a respectable 80 Power and carries 50% more PP than either Payback or Assurance. Most attractively, it is backed by a 20% effect to take a bite out of the opponent's Def Stat, and once that happens at least once Crunch immediately overpowers Payback or Assurance.
    Three moves are viable for the final slot. Sleep Talk is in general the best option for Tyranitar to continue Crunching and Curse-boosting behind Rest, but Fire Punch is possible to round out some coverage against Steels, especially a hit on Skarmory who can and will use Whirlwind. Stone Edge is possible for Tyranitar's strongest move, its low PP remedied by Sleep Talk. Finally, Dragon Tail is an option for Tyranitar to send out any problem Pokemon, like other Curses, to make sure Tyranitar is the one that stays ahead.

TyraniBoah @ Leftovers
    Quiet (+SpAtk, -Spd)
    252 HP, 232 SpAtk, 24 Atk
    Sand Stream
    Substitute
    Focus Punch
    Flamethrower/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt
    Dark Pulse

This is one of the most famous mixed sets of all time, enough to warrant it a specialized name. Invented by Jumpman16 since Gen 3, this Tyranitar was meant to rip apart Fighting-weak Pokemon (especially Blissey) while still retaining the ability to decimate Special walls along the likes of Skarmory.
    Max HP allows Tyranitar's Substitute to withstand a Seismic Toss or Night Shade, and thus Focus Punch comfortably. This is great in tandem with its Dark STAB, in the form of Dark Pulse. Tyranitar can run any Elemental Beam to suit its desires. The Special Attack EVs allow it to claim 2HKOs on many Physically defensive Pokemon with a respective attack, such as Flamethrower on Skarmory. 24 Speed perfectly allows Tyranitar to outspeed Blissey. Crunch is possible to use over Dark Pulse, but with so much Special investment Tyranitar's SpAtk exceeds its Atk. Furthermore, Dark Pulse gives Tyranitar the opportunity to strike Specially frailer Pokemon with greater impact.

Defensive (Lead) @ Leftovers/Chesto Berry
    Adamant (+Atk, -SpAtk)
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpDef
    Sand Stream/Tension
    Stealth Rock
    Stone Edge/Crunch/Payback
    Earthquake/Low Kick/Superpower
    Rest/Dragon Tail

This is the most common spread you would hope to encounter versus a lead Tyranitar. Not only does Tyranitar get the Sand Stream going straight away, it, of course, has the ability to throw out Stealth Rock. Either Ability is a fine choice. Tension allows Tyranitar to disable Custap Berries an opposing lead may try to pull on it, though Sand Stream is often more common for generic use and to pick off Focus Sashers.
    Any move other than that is up to the user's decision, though. Tyranitar has more moves than many Pokemon could hope for, offensively or defensively. You can even mix and match this set with other sets, if you feel you can fit Stealth Rock onto them.
    Stone Edge and Earthquake are listed here for just a generic combo; this will be further discussed in "Other Options."
    Either Chesto or Lum Berry are used so that Tyranitar can take on Status moves. Rest is often run in case Tyranitar's Berry is not consumed or if there is a Cleric on hand.

Weather Support @ Expert Belt
    Quiet (+SpAtk, -Spd)
    252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpAtk
    Tension
    Thunder/Fire Blast/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt
    Aqua Tail/Surf/Blizzard/Ice Beam/Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Crunch

This Tyranitar is very specialized, intended to be used for its unique typing and lack of Sand Stream to complement other types of Weather. Any type of Tyranitar may run Tension to be used with other Weathers, but this set is meant to capitalize from it.
    Thunder can 2HKO fully Special Defensive Skarmory without any investment. With a positive nature, Thunder or has a 15% to OHKO Physically Defensive Skarmory. Fire Blast has the same percentage to do the same to Specially Defensive Skarmory in the Sun.
    Gliscor (assuming max HP for all calculations) would be destroyed by Ice Beam even with a negative Nature. When Blizzard is factored in, not even Expert Belt is needed. In the Rain, Tyranitar would OHKO Gliscor with Surf half the time, and Aqua Tail already does a large number in and outside of Rain.
    Hippowdon (assuming max HP and Def), Tyranitar's third most largest nemesis, is cleanly 2HKO by Ice Beam or Surf (Blizzard gets no notable KOs). In the Rain, Surf can net a guaranteed OHKO, though 216 EVs would be required.
    It has many types of attacks it could possibly use to benefit from the other weathers. As stated countless times before, Tyranitar can deviate between its EVs and moves and run any sort of set it desires in regards to its team. Running this Tyranitar alongside Weather is meant to complement that. In a pinch, Tyranitar could run Rain Dance or Sunny Day itself, though with Drizzle Politoed or Drought Ninetales this has little use.

Other Battles:
    As a greatly offensive Pokemon, Tyranitar highly benefits from moves such as Helping Hand or Follow Me. It can easily attain OHKOs, or start setting up or using Focus Punch without fear or spamming Earthquake. Defensively speaking, its Sand Stream can get quickly activated, helping to ruin opposing weather strategies while setting up a Pokemon like Doryuzu at the same time. This is much more amplified in Rotation, which is basically Triples with only one active Pokemon. This allows Tyranitar's Sand Stream to activate before Politoed and Ninetales, as the both of them outspeed Tyranitar. This is not without its drawbacks: switching is much less common in multi-battles, making Tyranitar's signature Pursuit much less effective. Pursuit doesn't even work in Rotation. In short, Tyranitar is one of the most common Pokemon in Doubles, Triples, or Rotation, and you must always be prepared to see one.

Team Options:
    The final set aside, Tyranitar is most often employed to operate a Sand team or normal Stall; if it were used on an offensive team, its own Sand Stream would be highly detrimental to any Life Orb partner it has.
    In terms of a Sand team, please make sure not to overcentralize with Rocks, Steels, and Grounds. Due to this, a Water type such as Starmie, Tentacruel, or Vaporeon is often employed. Aside from the many defensive tactics it can run, a Sand team is able to activate the powers of Sand Veil, Sand Power, and Sand Throw, making Doryuzu a very powerful partner for Tyranitar.
    The residual damage from Sandstorm also allows for many antics that can be abused, relying on low-level Pokemon in tandem with Focus Sash or Sturdy. This includes Donphan (Sturdy, Shell Bell, Ice Shard, Endeavor), Cleffa (Magic Guard, Focus Sash, Endeavor), and Magnemite (Sturdy, Berry Juice, Recycle).
    In a generic Stall team, Tyranitar is most often used as a lead and utilizes its fantastic defences and typing to take hits. All its weaknesses but Water are covered by most Flying types. This is most easily done by Zapdos, which can also Baton Pass Agilities to offensive Tyranitar. A Water or Grass type helps handle Water comfortably (except for Grass and Bug hits, respectively). A Dragon type such as Dragonite is a great partner for Tyranitar both offensively and defensively.

Counters:
    Ground types with heavy Def should be able switch into Tyranitar and respond with an Earthquake. Such Pokemon include Doryuzu, Gliscor, and Hippowdon. They can come in on almost any of Tyranitar's best moves, pose an immediate threat, and begin to set up themselves. In fact, any powerful Earthquaker such as Salamence or Ononokus can come in and threaten Tyranitar immediately.
    One of Tyranitar's biggest threats are one of the five Water/Ground Pokemon. They can switch in with impotence, immediately seriously threaten with Boiling Water or Earthquake, and some, such as Swampert or Whiscash, can get straight to boosting.
    Steel types, similarily, can usually switch in on Tyranitar with impotence, though most are warded off by Fire Punch, if not by Earthquake. Still, Forretress and Nattorei can easily demolish Tyranitar with a Gyro Ball. Bronzong can too, with a lesser weakness to Fire. Skarmory is unable to take repeated hits, but can Whirlwind away Tyranitar's boosts. Skarmory is able to set up itself with Spikes (or, rarer, Curse). Although I have personally never seen it before, Skarmory's Steel Wing does respectable damage to Tyranitar. Finally, in terms of Steel types, Scizor is a very prominient threat against Tyranitar, threatening any of Bull Punch, U-turn, or Superpower. Genesect or Yanmega can easily outspeed and let loose a Bug Buzz.
    I have not even begun to touch on another of Tyranitar's many weaknesses: Fighting, which resists both of Tyranitar's STABs with ease. Fighting has priority moves in the form of Mach Punch or Vacuum Wave, usable by any of Toxicroak, Hitmontop, or Roopushin. Lucario or Terakion are most notable by being Steel type as well, threatening to use Swords Dance on Choiced Tyranitar or by Close Combatting right away. Heracross or Breloom more than threaten Tyranitar, who could only hope to defeat them by getting them on the switch.
    In terms of Weather, Abomasnow is slower than Tyranitar, though this means if both are leads, Abomasnow's Snow Warning activates over Sand Stream. Also, Abomasnow always has access to powerful Grass STAB to strike Tyranitar with, but often Abomasnow fears Tyranitar more. Both Politoed and Ninetales, however, are naturally faster, and can attack with a Water or Grass move, respectively.
    Going into the troll category, beware setting up too quickly, lest a Ditto come in and obtain all your boosts. Erufuun or Jumpluff can also switch into Dragon Dance or any non-threatening attack and Encore immediately. If Balloon Shadow Tag Shandera comes in on a Choiced Earthquake, that could end the game right then and there (Shadow Tag or not, Hidden Fighting Power is a powerful threat). Aqua Jet is similar to, but unlike the Fighting priorities or Bullet Punch, it has no notable users.
    As mentioned in the beginning, both Grass Knot and Low Kick are effective weapons against Tyranitar. Last of all, a Status move greatly hinders Tyranitar's capabilities, but it might run a Lum Berry for this very reason.

Other Options:
    As mentioned many times, Tyranitar's attacks on both sides of the offensive spectrum are seemingly perfect.

Physical-
    Avalanche is a stronger option over Ice Punch, though with Ice Punch you are usually running max Speed, and it is mainly used for Grass and Ground types that Tyranitar does NOT want to be outsped against.
    Aqua Tail gains a crucial 2HKO for Hippowdon when backed by Choice Band or a Dragon Dance. Aside from that, it has great neutrality and still nets a super-effective hit on Gliscor or other Tyranitar. With the advent of the Balloon Item, it has also become a very vital option to shatter Pokemon along the likes of Doryuzu or Heatran who might have otherwise become immune to Earthquake.
    Aerial Ace is Tyranitar's strongest move against most Fighting types, but it only scores acceptable damage on Breloom and Heracross, and Tyranitar can KO those with Fire moves instead.
    Tyranitar has been blessed with the Elemental Punches, reliable 75 power physical hits with Fire, Ice, or Electric typing. Ice Punch and ThunderPunch both have key targets to nail, though Fire Punch is the most famed of all, happily giving Tyranitar the power to crush Steel types that defy Earthquake (usually this will be Skarmory, Scizor, Genesect, Forretress, Nattorei or Ballooned Steels). Still, its coverage is often for a very situational purpose, especially when accounting the massive drop in power and overlapping coverage of Earthquake. The next Punch up is Ice, which is good in particular for gaining a OHKO for Gliscor yet still maintaining a strong hit for other Ground types, like Hippowdon. Tyranitar's Stone Edge is enough to OHKO most Dragon/Flyings, though Ice Punch still has the OHKO under its belt, doing so with higher Accuracy. Finally, ThunderPunch is practically nonexistant for Tyranitar, as prone targets such as Starmie or Gyarados are usually destroyed already by Tyranitar's main moves.
    Where Ice Punch may fail to OHKO Ononokus, Outrage does the job. Though this is highly situational, Outrage still is able to destroy Dragons and has fantastic neutral coverage, and Ononokus IS a dangerous foe. Remember that STAB Stone Edge is slightly less than Ice Punch on Ononokus for power. Jolly Tyranitar with a Dragon Dance or Band will net a roughly 60% OHKO with Ice Punch, and without any sort of boost at all, an Adamant Tyranitar always fails to OHKO Okonkwo.
    Tyranitar's Attack is high enough to afford it to run Rock Slide on its Dragon Dance set. Most Pokemon that would be Stone Edged would be OHKO'd anyway through Rock Slide, and the 30% Flinch, higher Accuracy, and higher PP can all be more attractive sometimes compared to Stone Edge's higher crit rate.
    Anywhere where there is Earthquake, Superpower can be used. Although Superpower cannot be used repeatedly and has overlapping coverage, it does net important KO's, including other Tyranitar, Ballooners, and Normal types. Low Kick, however, usually finds more utility than Superpower, only really missing out on Blissey.

Special-
    Tyranitar could gain STAB from AncientPower, but its only use is for the Specs set and its power is just much too low. Using Hidden Rock Power is much superior for a secondary STAB.
    In terms of Fighting moves, Tyranitar has access to Focus Blast. It has very poor Accuracy, but is a great complement to Dark Pulse should Tyranitar opt for the Special attacking side, such as possibly for the Lead set.
    On any set running Special moves, the Elemental Beams usually grant enough coverage, but Earth Power is a fine choice, most notably hitting Heatran who could previously only be struck by only Thunderbolt, Focus Blast, or Low Kick.

Tyranitar also has many boosting options. Iron Defence is possible, but would find little utility. Hone Claws are a possible replacement instead of Curse or Dragon Dance, coupled with low Accuracy moves such as its Special moves. Finally, it has Rock Polish. It pales in comparison to Dragon Dance, but has use with a Special sweeping set.

Tyranitar's other support options consist of Thunder Wave, Block, Taunt, or Torment. These moves are powerful in their own right, though it is too common for Tyranitar to be in a tricky situation to be able to actually use them, an example being Doryuzu switching in on Thunder Wave or Block. Tyranitar does of three phazing options: Dragon Tail, Roar, or Screech. Dragon Tail and Roar are different in their own right; the former is blocked by Substitute whilst the latter can be Taunted. Screech, however, is very interesting. Although having Accuracy on par with Fire Blast, no Pokemon would enjoy having its Def cut in half versus the behemoth that is Tyranitar. This is more prominient in an endgame situation where your opponent may not afford to be able to switch out. Screech as a move in general would be very difficult to utilize, but it could promise interesting results.

With all these combinations, it is easy for Tyranitar to run a mixed set aside from SubPunch. Generally, you would max out the main offensive stat and put about 16 EVs in a Special attacking set, or 40 EVs for using Superpower/Low Kick. The rest can go in Speed with Naive or Hasty, but I recommend using Smogon's Speed Tiers as a gauge to set your Speed. You generally only want one move to deviate from your main offensive stat, except for possibly using Crunch over Dark Pulse. This set has lot a lot of its potential since Blissey's drop in usage for Gen 5, but Tyranitar still plays a very mean mixed set and can very easily devestate an opponent who switches in on its Substitute with a Pokemon such as Lucario or Gengar.

Illegal Moves:
    Any combination of Curse, Pursuit, or Dragon Dance
    Dragon Tail or Tension with: Aqua Tail, Counter, Elemental Punches, Low Kick, Superpower, Outrage, AncientPower, Block, Earth Power

WHEW that was tiring -.-
    7 pages of text, let's have a simpler Pokemon next time and save big Pokemon for the holidays.

Oh, I was just commenting on how he WOULD be good for a trick room. But, nice sets.
    Who is next?

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophicalPsychologica
    I know this sounds narcissic, but if no one pays attention to me this time around, I will stop spending time contributing to PotW. I'm sorry, I just can't invest so much time and effort here only for it to be ignored.
    If that's the attitute you're going to take, you shouldn't be here in the first place. People shouldn't do this for glory, they should do it to help others learn and lend a helping hand to Reno, who has to write this damn thing every week. If you don't understand that, don't bother posting.
    "I'm fighting because there's a battle to be fought, Archer. I'm fighting to win. That's all."
    "Hm. Alright, Rin. You are indeed my ideal Master. There is no one else I could hope to serve."

Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophicalPsychologica View Post
    Honestly, I am incredibly disappointed that apparently no one held any notice to my Salamence post, not even my variations of RestTalk Mence. I know this sounds narcissic, but if no one pays attention to me this time around, I will stop spending time contributing to PotW. I'm sorry, I just can't invest so much time and effort here only for it to be ignored.
    I'm glad that you put so much work into this, but if someone doesn't comment on your sets, don't worry about it. If someone really likes or dislikes your sets, then I'm sure they'll comment on them.

Personally, I like most of your sets, just a few things here and there. The weather abuser kinda bothers me. First off, the best way for Tyranitar to abuse weather is to utilize his own SS SpD boost. Also, never use Thunder on Tyranitar. Even if you want to abuse rain, you run into two big problems:

1) You lose the SpD boost, making Tar more vulnerable to attacks.

2) You boost the power of your opponent's Water moves, making Tar even more vulnerable to certain attacks.

As for the rest of the thread, I think all the good sets have been gone over already. I personally like the Choice sets, especially the Band set. Makes a nice counter to the very overused Shandera.
    Last edited by jesusfreak94; 11th January 2011 at 8:33 PM.

Handy double/triple battle partner traits: (I may make more of these the next weeks if nobody complains about it)

* Rock, Ground or Steel type pokemon, or a pokemon with Dust Proof or Magic Guard as its abillity. These all resist Sandstorm damage

* Eventually a Flying or Levitating pokemon, because TTar sets often use Earthquace. Don´t rely too much on a Balloon, as you can really hamper yourself by hitting your own pokemon with a Tyranitars Earthquace if the Balloon has popped

* Pokemon who can counter the counters for Tyranitar, and in the meantime survive some sandstorm damage and, if you use it, Earthquaces.
    Last edited by jespoke; 11th January 2011 at 7:56 PM.

Well for a double Battle or Triple battle I would recommend having Doryuuzu with the Ability Sand Power or a Gastrodon with the storm drain. They both will be beneficial.

Doryuuzu's Sand Strength would power its own Ground, Rock and Steel type attacks due to Tyranitar's Sand Stream

Gastrodon's Storm Drain would be able to protect Tyranitar from water type attacks

there could b a set running speed nature and max speed evs, though salamence is better in this regard:
    Quick Claw
    -Dragon Tail
    -coverage
    -coverage
    -coverage

keep on dragon tailing util you run out of pp, the use coverage

Hmm, I guess on my set you could go for dragon tail instead of dragon claw, if you wanted to. But, Gastrodon is brilliant as a partner. Ttar also has one unmentioned option: Giga Impact, which I think is up for discussion. Ttar has massive power without any sort of stat boost. Just give him a set that goes for all-out power, you may have a monster. If you're like me, before you discovered EVs and stuff, you went for POWER POWER MORE POWER. Who says any sets like that aren't usable?

Power Ttar
    -Giga Impact
    -Stone Edge
    -Fire Punch
    -Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail
    Choice Band
    (Adamant/Jolly nature)

Yea, that set isn't the best option. Actually, it's an abuse of power.

Another move I saw that looked viable for Ttar was Bark Out. Not really so much for the power, but the side effect. That looked good for countering Lucario, a special fighter. Unless the fighter is physical (which 99% of the time is the case). Ttar could go all supportive and lay out stealth rock, thunder wave, and stuff. Yea...

Nobody sees this coming, though! (Actually, they might)

Counter Surprise
    -Aerial Ace
    -Fire Punch
    -Stone Edge
    -Dragon Tail
    Choice Band
    (Jolly nature, +Speed, -Spatk)
    EVs: 254 Speed, 104 Defense, 104 SpDefense, 50 Attack.

See, there you have a fighting, grass, and bug counter all in one! It's missing ground and water, though, but that's what dragon tail is for! And fighting guys, too, if you don't want to risk trying an aerial ace or something. The speed's there for the speed, I guess, and you may outrun a slower fighting pokemon and get the faint/switch out. Defense is in case the speed fails to deliver, and the attack is so Ttar has a decent Ttar's attack.
    Who is next?

Hyper Beam variant moves aren't such a good idea, even Giga Impact. 3 reasons:

1)You have to use up a turn after you use it, where you are pretty much a sitting duck

2)You can't even switch out while recharging, which means that your opponent can just kill Tar in his sleep

3)It's not really that powerful. Base 150 power is matched by a STAB Stone Edge, which has much better coverage, and the effective damage for each of those two turns is really only 75.

I'm not so sure about Ariel Ace either. You already hit Grass types hard enough with Fire Punch, especially the ever-present Nattorei. Bug types...well, Stone Edge. You're not going to be taking out Fighting types with Ariel Ace very soon anyways, as many Fighters outspeed you or can kill you with priority (TechniLoom and Roobushin say "Hi").

Good try, though. You've got the right idea.

Quote Originally Posted by KYOGRE-D View Post
    there could b a set running speed nature and max speed evs, though salamence is better in this regard:
    Quick Claw
    -Dragon Tail
    -coverage
    -coverage
    -coverage

keep on dragon tailing util you run out of pp, the use coverage
    It doesn't work. Didn't you post in the salamance thread aswell. I think you are just trying to be annoying but if you are not, sorry, and by the way, dragon tail will always go last. ALWAYS.

First time doing this and i'm going to do a gimmick set.

Fling-tar

Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Payback
    Fling
    Item: Iron Ball
    Trait: Sandstream
    Nature: Brave
    EVs: 180 HP / 252 Atk/ 76 Def

As i said, it's a gimmick. This works well with trick room support. 0 EVs + brave+ iron ball = very slow. With the classic quake- edge combo for attacking and trickroom it will be hard to beat. If it runs out trick room support it has payback because it's pretty much the slowest thing there. Fling might be only one attack but with 130 base power with iron ball + STAB and high attack stat, it's kind of hard to ignore. And it's the only way to speed yourself up after losing trick room support. Another way you can use it is as trick fodder. The tricker gets the iron ball or nothing and Tyranitar gets more fling artilary. And since most trickers are phychic or ghost, the fling is super effective. It could work but again, it's a gimmick.

In multi battles, levitating bronzong is the best partener because a) has trick room, b) avoids earthquake c) immune to sandstorm. Landlos is good because it had sand power so it boosts Tyranitar's stone edge and earthquake. Gliscor, Skarmory, anything that flies and is immue to sandstorm is a good partener.

Quote Originally Posted by noahk View Post
    that wasnt spam.
    Agreed.
    How does one report a post?

Anyway...
    Wall
    Rugged Helmet
    Sand Stream
    Impish nature
    Payback
    Attract
    Scary Face
    Curse
    EVs:252 Def, 252 Def, 4 HP

a couple thing wrong about that set.
    1) attract isn't reliable because it only works on pokemon of the oppisite gender and doesn't work at all on genderless pokem and can be healed by withdrawing it.
    2) 252 Def, 252 Def? you must mean 252 Def, 252 Sdef.
    3) curse and payback together is good, but why scaryface? payback works better when you're hit first.
    4) no explation

Quote Originally Posted by bugcatchersdream View Post
    Agreed.
    How does one report a post?

Anyway...
    Wall
    Rugged Helmet
    Sand Stream
    Impish nature
    Payback
    Attract
    Scary Face
    Curse
    EVs:252 Def, 252 Def, 4 HP
    1) You report a post by clicking the icon in the upper right-hand corner of that post. I wouldn't do it, simply because somebody most likely has already, and the next time Reno checks in he's going to delete it anyway.

2) No Defensive Tyranitar can afford to be without a Fire or Fighting-type move. Nattorei laughs at it otherwise.

3) Attract and Scary Face are horrible ideas for crippling, since Scary Face wears off on switches and Attract is based on gender, which varies.

4) Curse Tyranitar is a joke. It's bait for just about any Fighting-type out there.

5) You have two Defense EV'd stats on there.

6) Max HP before defenses for maximum bulk.

7) Invest in Special Defense before Defense, since Curse raises Tyranitar's defense stat.

8) A wall without a form of recovery (in this case, Leftovers or Rest) is like a king without a crown. Doesn't work.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast