I Kill Who I want to Kill!

Item: Muscle Band

Nature: Adamant

Stone Edge
    Dragon Tail
    Earthquake
    Knock Down/Aerial Ace

EVs: Mostly HP and Attack.

Stone Edge is a great stab move (no pun intended) other than its undesirable accuracy.
    Dragon Tail gets rid of any unwanted foes without Suction Cups (You know who you are, Cradilly)
    Earthquake and Knock Down create an amazing 2-turn combo.
    But Aerial Ace does take care of fighting types not named Lucario. All this and a muscle band, and you've got the world's pickiest physical sweeper.
    Other Options:
    Dragon Claw could replace Dragon Tail, just incase Kingdra stops by for a kill. Avalanche could take care of bulky grounds not knowing of it. Hone Claws would not only boost the already high attack, but take away some of the accuracy problems of Stone Edge.

one set me and my cousin came up with is this

dragon tail
    substitute
    focus punch
    crunch

focus sash

evs on defence
    nature: impish

dragon tail does damage and phazes anyone that will caus tyraitar problems as long as they dont take it out first but thats what the focus sash is for. sub punch is just plain powerful. combined with crunch covers every type in the game for at least netural damage and there you hav it
    Last edited by smayer; 13th January 2011 at 10:03 PM.

@ Eon Master
    I'm so so so so sorry, but I've wanted to work at Serebii for years. Now that I finally have a chance to contribute...well...nowadays it's taking a huge bite out of my already-limited time and I just like to know my work isn't going to waste (worst fear right there).

@ jesusfreak
    Oh, thank you ^^
    The final set is an original creation. I've wondered...Tyranitar IS unique in typing and movepool. To that extent, why WOULDN'T it work on a weather team other than Sand? I mean, if you needed a Rock/Dark with just the right moves... Just fix the ability so you don't screw yourself. Oh, and, please don't complement the BandSet; it's in no way original.

@ Epicpip
    OMG you're absolutely right!!

OTHER OPTIONS:
    Tyranitar functions fabulously under Trick Room, turning its only horrid Stat into a fearsome weapon. To this extent, any of Tyranitar's sets (save Scarf) are perfectly viable, though Choice is discouraged as it detracts from the tempo of Trick Room. Dragon Dance, of course, could be replaced by Curse or Hone Claws, though the Attack boost is too slow to compensate for Trick Room's limited 5 turns.
    Such a set often works best under multi-battles, as by having more Pokemon on the field, there are more targets for Tyranitar to destroy under Trick Room's limit. Tyranitar's fantastic bulk allows it to survive while a partner replenishes Trick Room (or Pokemon before Tyranitar can employ Explosion or some similiar move to keep up Trick Room's tempo). Finally, a partner offensive Pokemon or Helping Hand allows Tyranitar to net OHKO's much easier, also keeping in tune with Trick Room's hit-and-run method.

Default Double Battle Tyranitar

A Double Battle based Tyranitar has its ups and downs, but it can still take a chunk out of any team (It's Tyranitar for Goddness sake).

Tyranitar @Life Orb
    EVs Att252/126Def/126Sp.Def/4Hp
    Adamant
    Sand Stream

Stone Edge
    Crunch/Payback
    Earthquake/Taunt
    Aqua Tail

A Life OrbTyranitarcan dent any team.EVs are spread so that Tyranitar can take some hits and fight back with super hard STAB attacks and two strong attacks. Stone Edge is a resonable Rock STAB with only Accuracy letting it down. Crunch is a good Dark STAB, but Payback is stronger if Tyranitar takes an attack before hand. This is helped by Taunt and Tyraniatar's awful Speed.

Earthquake is hard to run in a Double Team since it hits all your Allies, but that can be overlooked because of Gliscor and Landlos-type Pokemon who can Levitate and take no damage from Earthquake. Taunt is good if you pair it with Payback and can stop Toxic and Will-O-Wisp becoming a problem. Aqua Tail can take out Ground Types with their STAB Earthquakes as well as taking a chunk out of Fire Types if you don't run Earthquake.

Some good Allies for Tyranitar are Gliscor, Aerodactle, Claydol, Archeos, Landlos nd Flygon because they all take no damage from Earthquake and Sand Stream. Gliscors the best because it also has Sand Veil which benefits from a Sandstrom which is gauranted with a Sand Stream Tyranitar. Aerodactle is a brave move since it's pretty weak compared with Tyranitar. Claydol is good for an Offensive/Defensive pair. Archeos is a more Offensive version of Aerodctle but is still a solid choice. Landlos benefits from Sand Strength and can start denting teams only to have Tyranitar dent the leftovers and have a KO. Flygon is a good option because it is the only Levitator Ground Type who doesn't take Super Effective damage from Surf and its Ice weakness can be baited and have Tyranitar have a KO on Ice Types who are stupid enough to switch into Tyranitar and Flygon.

Any Sand Streamer is a excellent pair for Payback Tyranitar. These include: Garchomp,Doryuuzu, Dugtrio, Cacturne, Donphan, Golem and Sandslah at a stretch. Tyranitar and Garchomp can OHKO by themselves, but together they'll wipe the floor with any non-Defensive Pokemon. Doryuuzu can also OHKO its own way but with the help of Tyranitar it will be unbeliveable. Dugtrio can quickly Toxic and only Skarmory with stand in Dugtrio and Tyraniatars way. Cacturne is the ONLY resonable Sp.Attacker with Sand Stream and can dispose of Water, Ground and Rock Types that could prove diffecult. Donphan is in the same boat as Tyranitar in terms of its best Attack can kill its own Team in Double/Triple battles but nontheless it has Sand Veil that can avoid some damage. Golem is really just there because it has Sand Veil although it can Explode to take out troubling Pokes. Sandslash is a terrible partner for Tyranitar but it does have access to Rapis Spin to taken out Stealth Rocks etc.
    My faboulous pokemon will see me through, when I'll come after you!
    Argg! Pomkemon I'm nealy out, but this one to lose I do so doubt!
    When you lose I'll dance with joy, versing you is like battleing a toy!
    I really think you ought to quit, you're Infernape hardly seems lit!
    Versing you I don't break a sweat, for I know the fate you'll get!
    This is impposible how did I lose? Huh! This is just a perpostrose ruse!

Tyranitar probably the most threatening of all OU pokemon. And look at it! Such great offensive stats, great defenses, Sand Stream, making it's walling all the more better... it's a wonder people wouldn't use it.

Tyranitar can run sets for defense, offense, and can even run a set for Bulky Waters, especially Vaporeon, who will be a big threat if DrizzleToed isn't banned. Below are a few sets I have deemed possible.

The possible end to Bulky Waters forever.
    Tyranitar @ Muscle Band
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Adamant (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Taunt
    - Thunderpunch
    - Focus Punch
    - Low Kick
    This set seems absolutely absurd. But you'd be amazed. Since most Bulky Waters in OU revolve around Rest, using Taunt can totally shut down any attempts to heal. Thunderpunch hits Suicune and Vaporeon for over 50% of their health. Taunt with that, and their screwed. If they decide to set up, you can easily flick a Focus Punch and scare them. Low Kick is just for Swampert. Since you don't want to be locked into Taunt, and want extra power, Muscle Band is helpful.

I've made one of the old classics my Choice.
    Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Ability
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge / Rock Slide
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake / Superpower
    - Pursuit
    Tyranitar still makes a great revenge killer. Although it may still have to deal with Shanderaa (if it is not banned at least,) it still can be a threat. Stone Edge or Rock Slide: Stone Edge's power drop was disappointing, so rock slide can be used for greater accuracy, and that flich hax is always useful. Crunch for STAB, Superpower is whether or not you want to kill Blissey or not, and Pursuit for those gay ghosts who may switch at the sight of this thing.

Tyranitar is like a rock, he just sits there.
    Tyranitar @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
    Impish (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Toxic
    - Dragon Tail / Rock Slide
    - Protect
    - Curse
    This is one big slap to the face for a whole array of pokemon. Tyranitar can make a place in a Stall Team quite well. He doesn't need any real attention to his SDef, his Sandstorm handles that. Toxic is for pokemon who fly, since your using this with Toxic Spikes. Curse increases his defense and makes him a behemoth. Although odd, Dragon Tail spread TS very well. Although, you can opt for Rock Slide, since the STAB and flinch chance can really save games. Protect to build up 1/8 of damage and gain Leftovers recovery.
    Last edited by Sweep Freak; 15th January 2011 at 7:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep Freak View Post
    I've made one of the old classics my Choice.
    Tyranitar @ Item
    Trait: Ability
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Stone Edge / Rock Slide
    - Crunch
    - Earthquake / Superpower
    - Pursuit
    Since when was Choice Scarf called Item?

This a set I came up with and plan to use, I based it off Groudon and it can work pretty well.

TWave Lead
    Tyranitar@Leftovers/Chople Berry
    Adamant Nature
    EVs: 252hp 128def 128sdef
    Crunch
    Thunder Wave
    Stealth Rock
    Stone Edge/Taunt/Ice Punch/Rest/Dragon Tail

It's based on a set I've heard of Groudon and Kyogre using. You Paralyze the oposing lead, get rocks up, then either switch or KO the opposing lead. Sashes are useless thanks to Sand Stream. The EVs let you come in as many times as possible (you can change them if you have something that can take physical or special hits, or if you want to hit harder) and Adamant lets you hit stuff for decent damage (just to pressure opponents). Crunch is the better STAB move, IMO, since you hit Magic Mirror pokes and Crunch has better accuracy and PP (since this is not meant to hit hard) than SE. SE can be used if you want more coverage/neutral power, but Taunt lets you shut down leads that have been paralyzed (or are just that slow), Ice Punch lets you hit Aerodactyl, Hippowdon, Erufuun, Tornelos, and Voltolos, the best coverage IMO. Dragon Tail lets you phaze and rack up SR damage, Rest is useful if you opt for the Chople (to take Focus Blasts and Mach Punches) and want to last longer in general.
    Last edited by GarSlizer; 15th January 2011 at 4:14 AM.
    What're you lookin' at soldier? DROP AND GIVE ME 645!!!

DO THEM RIGHT OR FACE THE WRATH OF MA' SAND FORCE!!!

--Landorus Boot Camp Motto

I would like to mention Ambipom as a partner for T-Tar in single battles. Ambipom has a large number of stat boosting moves (Hone Claws, Agility, Nasty Plot, Cheer Up, Double Team) that can help it get a quick power increase, then Baton Pass to Tyranitar to give him a boost to his stats without leaving him open to enemy attacks.
    The sets I can think up have all been said already, so this is all I can contribute...

@Above post: Tyranitar is arguably one of the worst baton pass receivers in the game this gen due to the commonality of Fighting types and, more specifically, Mach Punch.

Continuing, I've just seen this on soooo many posts, and it makes me so sad.....people having essentially a filler slot and not putting a Fire move or Superpower in it. D:
    Or people suggesting 252/128/128 spreads. Or, like, suggesting scarftar. D:

People who are just vomiting common 4th gen sets should be aware that its not 5th gen. Now Tyranitar is almost exclusively Banded, Scarfed or "general". You know, Pursuit / Fire Blast / Dragon Tail / Stealth Rock-esq sets that are half utility and half mixed sweeper. Doryuuzu, Breloom, Garchomp, Scizor and Roobushion cripple Tyranitar as a Dragon Dancer so I would never use it in 5th gen. I don't even think its a viable set anymore.

TTar's main use now is a Shandera hunter and sandstorm setter.. upper. Far too much checks and counters him in the top 15 to ever sweep.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    People who are just vomiting common 4th gen sets should be aware that its not 5th gen. Now Tyranitar is almost exclusively Banded, Scarfed or "general". You know, Pursuit / Fire Blast / Dragon Tail / Stealth Rock-esq sets that are half utility and half mixed sweeper. Doryuuzu, Breloom, Garchomp, Scizor and Roobushion cripple Tyranitar as a Dragon Dancer so I would never use it in 5th gen. I don't even think its a viable set anymore.

TTar's main use now is a Shandera hunter and sandstorm setter.. upper. Far too much checks and counters him in the top 15 to ever sweep.
    This entire post.

Except you're forgetting MixTar, which is still viable. It's just less so than last gen :/

Actually, Tyranitar is much less useful in general than last gen. It might actually sink to BL this gen.
    .:I reach out my hand and find you there:.

Cool

Why not use Iron Tail on a set? (Oh wait, it's similar type coverage to Stone Edge and needs an accuracy boost) You could also use Avalanche if you wanted to use a slow Tyranitar and bulk him up instead. Like this:

Sits like a rock. Resists like a rock. Smashes like a rock.
    -Avalanche
    -Payback
    -Fire Punch
    -Dragon Tail
    Choice Band
    Adamant Nature
    EVs: 128 Def, 128 SDef, 256 Atk, 4 Hp

Nothing for the speed, but you don't want this guy on a Trick Room team, especially because he revolves around going last. Fire Punch is there because someone said no bulky Ttars without a fire move, and besides, it's a good move in general for Ttar. I mean, who says speed is nessesary? The EVs help with the speed loss. Defense helps endure attacks, and attack EVs make his go last attacks AWESOME! Instead of raising his speed in vain (most of the time), just use it for a slow set... take it easy... ahh...
    Last edited by Epicpip; 15th January 2011 at 9:09 PM.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Default Reply

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    this week we are going to be covering Tyranitar. again, I know people will be upset/annoyed it isn't a 5th gen Pokémon or anything new, but give it time. we are starting 5th gen Pokémon once the games come to america and europe. anyway, there's a lot to add since the last time tyranitar was the potw!

easily one of the best pokemon in the game. if you don't know what it can do, you haven't played OU. anyway, go wild everyone!

also, double and triple battle strategies are greatly appreciated!

Please come with 5th gen Pokémon or anything new,that can we so exciting and with good fun.

Anisha567
    Search for People,HandwritingAnalyst and Detective Agencies

Hey, they use a random number generator, if ya don't know.
    Who is next?

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Talking Phbbbbbbbbbt!!

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpip View Post
    Hey, they use a random number generator, if ya don't know.
    Yesh, but they still haven't done Venusaur in 4th gen/5th gen, and it's pretty useful in my eyes. and it's NOT from unova. How's THAT for a request? (JK, but venusaur would be a good option next) Even if it IS random no.
    Last edited by Mr. Marowak; 15th January 2011 at 4:18 PM. Reason: Forgot 2 say what iNEEDED 2

I'm back, baby.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpip View Post
    EVs: 128 Def, 128 SDef, 256 Atk, 4 Hp
    Your EVs are a little funny there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bone Cold Marowak Guy View Post
    Yesh, but they still haven't done Venusaur in 4th gen/5th gen, and it's pretty useful in my eyes. and it's NOT from unova. How's THAT for a request? (JK, but venusaur would be a good option next) Even if it IS random no.
    Their doing the Psuedo-Legendaries so that they don't get in the way. Venasaur is good, but there are better things.

And stop whining like a baby.

I Got a Moveset it's my Tyrannitar's Moveset

Tyrannitar Brave Nature(+ATK -SPD)
    EVs: 252Atk 200SpDef 4HP
    Item: Choice Band or Muscle Band or Life Orb

Moveset:
    Payback
    Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    Ice Punch/ThunderPunch
    Earthquake

Okay. You Want Beave Nature To benifit from Payback's Effect, which double's attack power when Tyrannitar moves last. A base Power of 100 with STAB is nothing to mess around with, especially with Trannitar.

Stone Edge is the other STAB Move which has a high CH (Critical-Hit) Ratio. It can take out bulky Pokemon like Dusknoir, Foretress, and Regirock if you ever face one.Or you could use Rock Slide, But Stone Edge is just better.

Ice Punch is for Ground types you might face like Groundon, and can hit Dragon types or ThunderPunch for Water Types. You decide

Earthquake for Steel Types and it does Massive and Accurate Damage (Over Stone Edge/Rock Slide)

Please Feature this Moveset Please

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Haha yea no.

1. Most fighting moves are PHYSICAL, that special defense boost ain't helping that.
    2. If you are going to have payback, make sure BOTH defenses are covered.
    3. I guess earthquake is okay, but don't have Rock Move AND Ice Punch, it's not really worth the grass coverage.
    4. That set is completely prone to physical moves and bulky steel types. And Skarmory especially. Really, you should have a Fire Punch instead of Ice Punch.
    Who is next?

If anyone haven't noticed yet, it is possible to give tyranitar counter. It can be taught in Gen III though, so tyranitar'll be stuck with sand stream. Other moves illegimate to tyranitar include assurance and focus energy, and that's all.

I thought tyrantar could surprisingly punish fighting user with said move. However, it means it must survive said move in the first place. So....

With 100/110/100 bulk, is it possible to prevent powerful fighting moves from OHKOing tyranitar?

The aboves sounds to general anyway, so my next solution is the give it Focus Sash. But it has to be at full HP for it to work. SR has to be cleared first for 'tar to work. Fortunately, sandstorm won't work, and hail damage can be cleared once 'tar enters in.

Still, it only work once, and tar will be left to be revenge killed after using counter.

Another problem is that fighting moves are not always physical. Lucario with aura sphere is an example, focus blast is another.

That's all I can see in tar using counter. Let me know if I missed out anything else.

Closing this for Reno while he collates it for the PotW. #3 will be created shortly

okay, stop asking for 5th gen pokemon. I've already explained, as has serebii, that we won't be doing them for a little while. the games aren't out yet, so not everyone has access to the... knowledge, or something.

not to mention, a lot of these pokemon haven't been done since early dp or at all. since then, they've gained a lot of new sets or usage.

can you please just wait?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123