Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sig Rule Change: Don't Hotlink to Arkeis

Default Sig Rule Change: Don't Hotlink to Arkeis

For those of you who don't know, hotlinking is when you directly link to an image using [img] tags.

Lately many people have been hotlinking to arkeis.com for the 5th generation animations and other images. First of all, it says right on the site to please not hotlink the images, and the site's server has been getting so much traffic lately from tons of people hotlinking the images that it can sometimes lag, and that can cause problem on our end as well.

So, we are making it an official rule to not hotlink to arkeis in signatures. We are not making a rule against it in posts yet, but I would still suggest that you not do so, because it may end up being a rule in posts as well soon if the staff deems it necessary. Plus it's just common courtesy not to steal bandwidth from other sites.

You have one week to remove any images hotlinked from arkeis in your signature. It literally takes 2 minutes to save the image to your hard drive and upload it to *******.com or another image host, so do it if you don't want a strike.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

Was wondering when this would happen. Good call.

So let me see if I got this straight.

I save the animated sprite to say imageshack, and when I want to put the image up, I can use my imageshack save containing the animated sprite?

Anything I got wrong there so far?

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!
    Wakin, I'm already a demon...
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post

I save the animated sprite to say imageshack, and when I want to put the image up, I can use my imageshack save containing the animated sprite?

Nope.

10char

As we wind on down the road~

Nice move. However, there's just this one major problem: in the 5th Gen Disc., the "What Is/Will Be Your Team". Probably over half of the posts in that thread have animated sprites, often from arkeis.net, with some posts having ten or more sprites. The thread lags like crazy...I know it's silly to try and ban hotlinking to Arkeis in all shapes and forms over the whole forums, but perhaps something can be done to stop the forums, especially 5th Gen Disc in what will be a very busy month, from returning to its former laggy state? Perhaps limiting the amount of animated sprites per post...?

Personally, I think it'd be better if hotlinking in general was not allowed.

Saving the image to your computer and re-uploading it to ******* does not take that long. @__@

That would probably be hard to enforce with a forum this size though.

This Rule has been in effect in the Signature check thread for a few days.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

just a quick question, will this apply to regular posts? Like some people use them on their first post of a thread ( i know im guilty of this too xD) and not just in their sigs

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

Quote Originally Posted by Bestgamepearl View Post
    just a quick question, will this apply to regular posts? Like some people use them on their first post of a thread ( i know im guilty of this too xD) and not just in their sigs
    I recommend not using it, there is no rule here yet. It's their rules that you're breaking, and they can remove it any time they want.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

Ellie, I'd be happy for people to hotlink the sprites on my site if you want ( http://pokemondb.net/sprites ). I just recently moved the images "into the cloud" on Amazon's CDN so bandwidth isn't a problem.

I don't have animated sprites but there are static sprites for all the games. (Forum code is provided too if you click the sprite.)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Nutter View Post
    I recommend not using it, there is no rule here yet. It's their rules that you're breaking, and they can remove it any time they want.
    kk, i was going to upload the other ones anyways, but was just double checking
    Last edited by Bestgamepearl; 22nd February 2011 at 3:28 PM.

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

Alright, just switched my images over to my PhotoBucket. Thanks for the notice.

The future surrounds us.

Let us begin.

Use imgur, it's currently the best free image hosting site you can get.
    natie respect Takahashi Meijin. He is Champion. He can push a button continuously no less than 16 times in 1 second. It's sooooooooooooo great!!

Good idea. Hopefully this reduces lag.
    asdfghjkl

...Um... if we do have Arkeis in our signature, will we have to take them out as soon as possible?
    Click Jirachi to join the amazing Ever Grande City forums! You won't regret joining it!
    I've claimed this Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by palamon View Post
    ...Um... if we do have Arkeis in our signature, will we have to take them out as soon as possible?
    Save them to your computer, upload them to imgur, use that link in your sig instead. It's not like they're telling you to get rid of your signature. But yeah, it seems if you don't want a strike you should take it out as soon as possible.

Okay, now I understand. So, just upload them into am image site...
    Click Jirachi to join the amazing Ever Grande City forums! You won't regret joining it!
    I've claimed this Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by palamon View Post
    You have less than a week to have them on a new host.. however, soon as possible is better.

Also, I should remind you that a PARTY of Animated Sprites MAY exceed the 500KB limit for total file size. (I've seen a few single Sprites about 200KB.)

I will remove them all if you're still using Arkeis as a host, even if it's the first strike.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr

Didn't it clearly stated NOT to hotlinks the animated sprites from Arkeis? It even says it there, on the animated sprite page, bolded.

NOTE 2: Please don't hotlink to these sprites. Save them to your own computer and upload them using an image host.
    I just don't see how people could have missed this. Either way, it hasn't effected me one bit. I do have animated sprites loaded up, just not here, all uploaded using an image uploader host such as ******* or Imageshack.
    [IMG]http://i50.*******.com/jb1rmh.jpg[/IMG]
    I claimed Ponyta

I customized these

it does, but that's arkeis's rule, not ours. and tons of people ignore that message anyway.

be sure to read the rules of every section before posting ;)

Little Miss Stalinist/Secret Al-Qaeda agents (i.e. Ellie) would be a ***** even if she was a conserative republican. What makes her the way she is happens to be the fact that the webmaster of this site let's her behave like this. (Of course, I would never make a liberal a staff member at any forum I'd be in charge of, regardless.)

I don't get why people don't save them anyway. They even have a convenient download link for you on their site.

I think this is a good rule, arkeis was lagging.
    And so were/are the rate my team threads in the 5th gen section.

Re-done. I can see why it was a problem, so this is a good move But yes, it's gonna be a big problem with some threads :/

POKÉMON OMEGA RUBY & APLHA SAPPHIRE
    |
    MEGA EVOLUTION | 0301-9985-7534 | SAM
    Y FRIEND SAFARI: WATER WITH OCTILLERY, WARTORTLE AND AZUMARILL

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post

Imageshack or any other image hosting site provide links for forums with the IMG tags wrapped around already. So you can copy and paste the links provided.

3DS Friend Code: 2337-4608-0376
    Most Recent Shiny: - 868 eggs | Current Hunt:

is it alright if someone else uploaded it on an image host and you link from there?

Either way, everything is from Photobucket now, except for things off GPX Plus, I hope they're alright.
    Last edited by murkrowrob; 23rd February 2011 at 6:57 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast