Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rematch at the Nacrene Gym (675)

It's a great episode. Ash train Tepig and Oshawott to get stronger for the rematch. Tepig learns Flame Charge and Oshawott learns Aqua Jet, but has trouble using it. Ash faces Lenora again and wins. The best part was when Herdier used Giga Impact and Tepig used Flame Charge at each other. I can't wait for the next episode.

Okay, now that I know what everyone was saying....

I really liked Ash's dialogue and accompanying gestures and expressions. Many times in this episode he was insulted, all in good humor of course, but he took them all calmly, and with a smile. At least in that sense, he still felt like Sinnoh Ash.

I was really critical before about Ash entering the gym battle w/o making sure Oshawatt had learned Aqua Jet. I'm going back of that just a little (What! There's a fine for that?! ). That's b/c Iris and Cilan really emphasize how hard Ash worked in his training. There's no real sense of time, I guess, on how long Ash waited to rechallenge Lenora, and so it really could have been a while. Maybe Ash had been working on Aqua Jet really hard, and just decided he didn't have any more time. Sort of like Pikachu's problems with doing too many Iron Tails in the first Hoenn Gym. But, if that's the case, then I think it's fair to criticize the show for not actually SHOWING that Ash had really been training very hard, rather than talking about it. It's a loophole the writers are creating by doing this type of thing (and they've taken adv of it many, many times), in that you're never too sure how hard Ash really is working b/c we're hardly ever shown he's training. But that works against the writers big time here. The moral of this episode is supposed to be working hard gets the results, but as we're not actually shown Ash working really hard (what we were actually shown was what I believe is minimal effort just to be able to compete; every halfway serious trainer should be at least giving the effort Ash was shown to be giving in this episode), this episode absolutely fails at that. Ash winning the gym battle, with some pure luck and then some half-way show of Tepig's courage, doesn't by itself justify the main theme of the episode. So to be honest, just ignore the supposed moral of this episode, b/c it's really not there.

The part of the episode that really caught my attention was Iris scolding Cilan for being too analytical, and not supporting Ash. This was there last region, with Brock and Dawn, but Dawn never got as blunt as Iris did right here. It's quite the interesting idea, just in general, about what supporting someone really means. Do you always cheer for that person, no matter what? Or is it okay to be objective at times and admire the other trainer's tactics? I thought the "tension" b/w Dawn and Brock during Ash's battles in Sinnoh was really fun to watch at times, b/c it seemed to suggest that they were just different characters. But the fact that Iris actually called Cilan out on it already here kind of diffuses the situation in a way, making this group seem similar to Sinnoh's, and yet different. I feel like I should write a ton on this, but I'll just leave it at that, since I'm not familiar enough with things yet.

haven't seen the episode but i know some bits of the eps
        Spoiler:- :

Quote Originally Posted by TylerS View Post
    haven't seen the episode but i know some bits of the eps
    This.
    I think the battle could have been done a bit better. They went a little overboard with Giga Impact IMO. But I still liked the episode.
    It's good to see Tepig get an important battle, and it did very well. I wonder how strong it would be if it were to evolve.

That was the best battle so far in this season.... Both Tepig and Herdier were awesomely displayed

I thought this was a cool episode. It was nice to see Ash training with Oshawott & Tepig before the gym battle. Oshawott with Aqua Jet & Tepig with Flame Charge are nice additions to their move pools. Isn't it cool how Oshawott's eyes are closed when he uses Aqua Jet? You can see it for a little bit when we see him using Aqua Jet up close. Anyways, cool that Oshawott tied. Giga Impact might have been a bit over the top, but a well-played gym battle regardless.
    10/10

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

Much better, Ash! Now that's more like it! Looks like Lenora is actually using her in-game team now. I expected her Watchog to use Retaliate this time but... oh well. I guess Watchog's Retaliate got replaced by Herdier's Giga Impact.

Looks like Tepig FINALLY learned a new move. I was sick of Ash's Tepig using nothing but the extremely pathetic moves of Tackle and Ember. Oshawott's Aqua Jet was nice too, but I guess his Aqua Jet will be kind of like Gible's Draco Meteor.

Overall, the rematch was much cooler and action-packed than the original battle. I'd give this episode an 8.5/10.
    I derp.

"Don't take chances! Don't make mistakes! But get Messi, definitely get Messi!" - If Joachim Loew quoted Ms. Frizzle

Quote Originally Posted by American--Pi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Taavetti View Post
    Out of the three, I'd marry the soccer ball.

WTF? Tepig took like, 5 Giga Impacts and it didn't go down.
    Welcome to my lair, sssssmall tasssty morsssel'sssssss. How kind of you to presssent yourssselvessss to me, I hope you can sssstay for sssssupper......

98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.

Started by Crawdauntpro.

Didn't like the balance of this episode. I feel the training segment could have been done in half the time, and I thought the battle was a bit sluggish when it came to pace. I know that Ash's battles tend to be a bit ridiculous when it comes to his Pokémon's endurance and the opponent's frailty, but Tepig taking two Shadow Balls and two Giga Impacts, and KOing Herdier with Tackle and Flame Charge? Come on. And the Gym battle as a whole - there was nothing clever, nothing interesting, Lenora seemed more interested in making quips about Ash's battle style than actually battling, and there were frequent interruptions to what should have been the main focus of the episode. The only thing I enjoyed about this episode was that it had Oshawott in it, who always makes me smile.
    100% of information in signatures on this forum involving percentages is false. If you feel as cheated by this atrocity as I do, don't you dare copy this into your signature.
    Hold on... if this percentage was correct at the time of print, that means the actual percentage of false information is less than 100% if this signature is included. Which means that... no! I've become a slave to the system!!

I speedrun DS Pokémon games. Currently, I speedrun Pokémon White 2, and I've also ran Pokémon Pearl in the past. If you want to see Pokémon games pushed to their limits (or if you want to do so yourself!), check out the Pokémon Speedruns website, and if you want to watch me, catch me on my Twitch channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Articuno_rocks View Post
    Oshawott's Aqua Jet was nice too, but I guess his Aqua Jet will be kind of like Gible's Draco Meteor.

First episode since the first episode that Team Rocket did not appear was weird. but a nice change of pace them not always around.

Take a step and I'm on my way, gonna start all over again,.......again.

Tepig beat Herdier with Flame Charge because of its Blaze Ability I'm guessing. Since it had taken so much damage, it would have activated eventhough no-one mentions it. Hence Flame Charge gets a Blaze boost + STAB, making it pretty powerful.

Was a great episode, it was good to finally see Tepig in the spotlight. 8/10
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/rh4od5.jpg[/IMG]
    Currently Playing: Killzone 3, Atelier Rorona, LBP2
    Upcoming: MotorStorm: Apocalypse, Brink, Uncharted 3

Currently Watching:
    FMA: Brotherhood, Spice and Wolf, Pokemon,

A nice episode I thought. I really liked the training section where it was explained where tepig was going to train on his speed and power and oshawott was training on stamina. It was also interesting to see that oshawott did not master his aqua jet so maybe this may take a while too.

The gym battle was above par and there was a little thing that confused me. Iris stated that one more hit and tepig would be down so when the flame charge and giga impact collided I expected tepig to fall or both to fall (I was expecting both because Ash has lost to lenora previously). However, I figured that maybe tepig's flame charge managed to catch lenora and herdier off guard with flame charge because he had not used it before so the giga impact did not hit as perfect as it should and tepig managed to hold on. Nonetheless, I'm glad Ash won the badge and the unmastered Aqua jet was an interesting twist to show that Ash's training was not 100% perfect this episode.

Anyway, overall good episode. (I think I say this everytime because I always enjoy the episode so maybe I might stop this lol).

Finally, this reset is becoming more and more apparent the series goes on. 'Old' Ash would never train with equipment to train tepig's speed, he would have been in the great outdoors, using the speed pikachu has to up the speed and would have used battling to improve tepig's power. Oshawott would probably just receive battle experience.
    Loves every part of pokemon, loves the movies, the anime and every game, so you could call me fan lol.

Apparently i'm a...

Favourite Pokemon: but i like them all

TIME IS MONEY! Reuse the same clip for ember 3 times in one episode with the spacey background and the kids will never notice! Anyway, as for the episode, it was very predictable and obviously so because Ash is never allowed to lose to a gym leader twice. Needless to say, it was heavily skewed to favour ash (tepig has apparently become now some sort of tanking pokemon). For that reason it was not as enjoyable to watch. Bring on the next advertisement episode.
    Last edited by Doned; 22nd May 2011 at 5:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doned View Post
    Anyway, as for the episode, it was very predictable and obviously so because Ash is never allowed to lose to a gym leader twice. Needless to say, it was heavily skewed to favour ash (tepig has apparently become now some sort of tanking pokemon).
    Didn't Ash lose to Fantina more than once? :S

There were a few bad things. One was that when I was watching Ash train in the Battle Club it was horribly similar to a previous episode (unless I have very extensive Deja Vu) and I can imagine them getting boring and repetetive. Also I have a feeling that Tepig is going to turn into Ash's local 'I was once abused but now I just look at Pokemon and they faint'. Lastly I was disappointed that they left Nacrene City so soon. I'm happy that there's a change of pace but I hoped that instead of spending about 6 episodes on a single route they'd put one of those episodes into Ash exploring Nacrene City. Their time was too swift, and we only really got to see the museum.

Well the main and only positive for me was again Ash's Oshawott, whose personality was the best thing about the episode.

In the future I hope the Gym Battles are a bit more thought through and epic like the Sinnoh ones and I hope that Tepig (whose the most probable to be the starter that fully evolves) won't become too much of a powerhouse and that Ash doesn't neglect his Snivy. Yes, the same Snivy who left its trainer in the first place for effectively not challenging it enough.
    Running for the thrill of it

A little late to this, but I caught the whole episode last night. A great episode, and the battle was good.

I liked how Axew messed with the water machine and caught Ash and Oshawott by surprise from the huge waves. Silly dragon. xD

And another dub edit, which I was confused about at first. Lenora was said in the dub to have Herdier evolved from the Lillipup she had in the previous episode. Back in the original airing, they were two separate Pokemon. Personally, the evolution felt like it made more sense, but whatever. :P

Glad that Oshawott and Tepig learned some new moves, and they really pulled off during the battle. Despite Oshawott being rusty with Aqua Jet during the battle against Watchog, that Thunderbolt must have given Oshawott an edge to hit Watchog. Nailed it!

And to this episode, looks like Team Rocket's consecutive appearance streak ended this weekend. :P

~I just wanna feel that rhythm~
    Twitter @TrainerTrevino

Quote Originally Posted by the1stpkmnfan View Post
    And another dub edit, which I was confused about at first. Lenora was said in the dub to have Herdier evolved from the Lillipup she had in the previous episode. Back in the original airing, they were two separate Pokemon. Personally, the evolution felt like it made more sense, but whatever. :P
    Heh, that's quite an important edit. The dub's edit actually seems better. Why wouldn't Lenora just use Herdier in the first battle if she had it?

This episode was okay, though it was weird how the damage done to the Pokemon wasn't quite in balance.

And no Team Rocket was nice for a change.

Axew and Oshawott were cute during the water training. As other people have said, the aqua jet thing was interesting. Teh end result of the battle was obvious, and Tepig surviving two STAB giga impacts was a bit weird. Better episode than the last one.
    FC: 5472-7405-8122

I watched the dub, and only thing I liked more than original is Lenora's voice. Nothing, but nothing can replace original Oshawott (Mijumaru) voice actor, so I recommend everyone to watch original ones too.
    Black 2 team:

Just when I thought the series was seriously applying Pokemon mechanics to the show.. How does Herdier move after using Giga Impact???

Ugh! Writers please!
    Pokemon Journals
    Kanto Region:complete
    Johto Region:in progress

Herdier sounded alright.

Was kind of bored watching the episode, since I already watched it twice(Raw and subs). But I was able to watch the whole thing.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

Default it was

It was better than some other episodes.
    Pokemon Journals
    Kanto Region:complete
    Johto Region:in progress

Kinda weird how the dub said Lenora evolved her Lillipup while in the original, they just said she's using the evolved form of Lillipup not that she evolved her Lillipup.

Random : PokéRadar

The episode was ok.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast