Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #3

Default New sets, eh?

Ok, here's a set that could work well on any berry holding pokemon.

Uh-uh, I choose you item.
    Choice Specs
    -Incinerate
    -Gift Pass
    -Recycle/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam
    -Recycle/Thunderbolt/Ice Beam
    Bold/Modest
    EVs: 256 HP, 256 SDef, 4SAtk

This is my mix, but really, it only works on berry-holding opponents. So, what you do is use incinerate, and that gets rid of the berry. Then, you use Gift Pass, so that they would be trapped with the item and hopefully stuck using status moves. Next, you could do a combination of things. You could use Recycle and gain the Choice Specs back (Unless Recycle doesn't do that, the attackdex doesn't say), or you could start attacking with either Thunderbolt (Water types) or Ice Beam (Dragon types). You choose.
    Last edited by Epicpip; 17th January 2011 at 12:38 PM.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

This set is for my boy, Reno!

Fat Pink Whore @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EV's: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
    Naughty nature
    - Charm
    - Sweet Kiss
    - Pound
    - Helping Hand

Pound. Pound. No. Return is soooooooooooooooooooo much better in every way possible.
    Who is next?

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Egad, it's another OU pokemon!

Blissey has always had the crown of Arceus Of Special Walls ever since 2nd gen. Maybe it's the base 135 special defense, beaten only by a few others. Maybe it's her gargantuan base 255 HP, a base HP so high it doesn't even need EVs. Or mayhaps it's her impressive support movepool. Either way, Blissey is here, is fat and is once again queen of special tanking.

Of course, every Blissey has to have 252 Defense EVs. Without em, she is OHKOed by stuff such as Dugtrio (base 80 attack and EQ). With them, she effectively has doubled defenses. Blissey's main features aside from her massive bulk is access to Softboiled. Those eggs from 3rd gen might also run Wish, which got some major improvements. Thanks to her HP, Blissey is -undoubtedly- the single best user of Wish Passing, giving 300+ HP heals to the recipients. Looking at her DW ability, Healing Heart only has uses for doubles and triples, and even then is outclassed by Natural Cure and Serene Grace. Most folk would like Natural Cure as it lets Blissey simply switch out of Toxic poisoning and reenter on a clean slate.

Blissey's physical side is her flaw. Even now, any good physical fighting attack will do severe damage to her, and indeed Superpower from anything with above base 90 attack will likely be OHKOing her. Back in 4th gen, Kyogre was a significant threat with Choice Specs, able of 2HKOing with rain-boosted STAB Water Spout, a mighty power indeed. Now Blissey has a threat with Shandera running around, whose dizzying base 145 special attack rivals Kyogre. Indeed, with a dose of Calm Mind, the ghostly chandelier can pretty much destroy Blissey with what is without question her greatest fear: Psycho Shock. A base 80 special attack that does damage based on the foe's defense stat is a terrifying force indeed, allowing many special sweepers to work around the fat egg.

I reject your Nyancats and replace it with my own.
    FB

Uh, you must mean Mewtwo. Shanderaa can't learn Psycho Shock. But, Mewtwo, because of that move and a couple others that it gained, has now gotten back into the game and can smash Blissey with Psycho Break.
    Who is next?

Tried & True(With a twist)

Item:Rugged Helmet

Nature:Bold(+Def, -Atk)

Ability:Natural Cure

Moves:
    Double Team

Softboiled

Toxic

Charm

EVs:252 Def, 252 SpDef
    If you haven't realized this yet, I think that the Rugged Helmet is an awesome item. Combine this with the traditional Blissey wall and it becomes practically impossible to defeat, even for Steels.

Where does Blissey actually get wish? It isn't listed as an egg move for Blissey. Has it been forgotten in the pokédex and can it get it by breeding with Togepi or does it get it somewhere else?
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

I believe it's an egg move. For a pre-evo.
    Who is next?

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpip View Post
    I believe it's an egg move. For a pre-evo.
    I'd say it should be listed for blissey as well then, since pokes always come out of the egg as pre-evo. But it also doesn't show as egg move for Happiny or chansey.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Special-Wall Blissey @ Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252HP / 224Def / 24SAtk
    Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Softboiled
    - Seismic Toss / Substitute
    - Toxic / Thunder Wave
    - Ice Beam / Thunder Bolt

This is an awesome special wall. Softboiled doesn´t need big explanations, it´s your healing move to make your opponents go crazy. Seismic Toss is there for some always trustful damage, exept your opponent is a Ghost. Instead, you can can run Substitute, witch does really well in healing you with the Leftovers and killing your opponent with Toxic. Speaking of Toxic, choose it if you are running Substitute, since it will be much more profitable. If you choose Thunder Wave, Seismic Toss is better.

So we get Ice Beam, a really good move. Grab it depending on your team needs. Get Thunder Bolt only if you are running Toxic because it´s dangerous to have both Thunder Bolt and Thunder Wave in the same Pokémon - you will get trouble if your opponent is Ground type.

Natural Cure is there in case you get a status, witch is not very good for Blissey. In EVs, going max HP and almost there for Defence is needed, sice you are going to have troubles with physical moves with this Blissey. Just throw the rest in Special Attack to boost your damage a little.

Handy Double/Triple battle partner treats:

* Someone who is capable of getting rid of physical hard-hitters.

* Anyone who can use a special wall or just an effective distraction next to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Leaf Blade View Post
    Where does Blissey actually get wish? It isn't listed as an egg move for Blissey. Has it been forgotten in the pokédex and can it get it by breeding with Togepi or does it get it somewhere else?
    Blissey gets Wish through an event giveaway. Therfore there are some legality issues concerning Wish in combination with other moves (i.e. Aromatherapy).

To be honest, Blissey is still Blissey this Gen. Nothing changed for it, but a ton of stuff changed around it. Chansey now outclasses it in a ton of ways. Blissey still has a couple of advantages, though.

-Bigger Wishes: Not really a big deal, only a five point difference.

-Leftovers: Big deal. With Leftovers, Blissey dies much less quickly from status than Chansey (although this is alleviated by Natural Cure) and doesn't lose HP every turn in Sandstorm and Hail.

-Usable Special Attack: Another nice advantage, Blissey can actually hurt stuff with the appropriate attack.

You should definitely take advantage of all of Blissey's strengths, lest you be outclassed by Chancey. The way I see it, Blissey can still do best with a Wish set. It does have slightly bigger Wishes than Chansey, and between Wish, Protect, and Leftovers, Blissey will probably last longer too. And you should take advantage of that decent Base 75 Special Attack too. Without Wish and Protect to get the maximum mileage out of Leftovers, Blissey seems to be outclassed by Chansey as far as the Cleric role goes.

Just my thoughts on Blissey.
    Last edited by jesusfreak94; 17th January 2011 at 10:16 PM.

Name: Tank
    Bold, 252 HP/252 Def
    Item:Leftovers/redcard/Anything Useful/ect.
    Calm Mind
    Soft Boiled/Wish
    Ice Beam/Blizzard/Rain Dance/SunnyDay/sandstorm
    Thunderbolt/Thunder/Hail/FlameThrower/Fireblast/Solarbeam/sandstorm

It's partners depend on how you're using it.
    Mainly, it enjoys the company of physical walls. Spikes and Toxic Spikes Speed up the sweep.
    For sandstorm, tyranitar has massive defense and ability. Skarmory Hippodown, Doryuuzu, and Gliscor are also great teammates.
    For hail, Regice makes a deadly tank, once given Blizzard. Glaceon gets an Evasion boost, sp.def boost, and 100% accracy Blizzard. Abomnisnow can get up a sandstrom just by entering the battle, and Walrein Slowly restores health, and Evolution stone Piloswine will love it.
    For rain, Politoad can get drizzle. Vaporeon is amazing with Rest/Hydration. Crown Raikou can sweep with weather ball at 150 power, and Thunder with 180, both accurate. Swift Swim Armaldo has good defense, and can pull of a swords dance sweep.
    For Sunshine, Ninetales has drought. Weather....Yawn....Upon coming into battle....Snore....Sunny days sweepers and leafeon.
    Max out defense, boost sp.def, and give it a recovery move, then you have an amazing defensive threat. With the SP.attack boost, it might be able to sweep with the bolt-beam combo. Also, this thing could make a great weather supporter, leftovers saving it in Hail and Sanstorm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    To those moan, can I just iterate that I disagree with the "1 set to rule them all" philosophy that Smogon sets. I like variety and these past two weeks have been choc-full with variety. So a set isn't used so much? So what? It's still viable in certain strategies.

We're not just here to provide the same set as everyone else, we're here for variety, especially in these early times
    I love that way of thinking. I made a Umbreon that relies on hax alone.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpip View Post
    Pound. Pound. No. Return is soooooooooooooooooooo much better in every way possible.
    Please, you gave an EV spread with 256 EV's. I think I know a thing or two about WhoreBliss and how she works her magic. Bless ya though.

item:Ruged helmet
    nature + special defence, minus attack
    252 health evs, 252 defence, 4 special defence
    Toxic
    Softboiled
    Sesimic Toss
    Protect/Light Screen
    Toxic, then stall, heal... use the rugged helmet to inflict damage. Sesimic toss for steel Pokemon

Nurse Blissey@ leftovers
    Nature: bold(+def, -atk)
    Trait: natural cure
    Ev's: 252 HP, 252 def, 4 sp. Def.

-thunder wave
    -softboiled
    -double team
    -flamethrower/ toxic

This set is good ol' blissey. Thunder wave lowers speed and has a 25% chance of the opponent not attacking. Softboiled is Blissey's own healing move. Double team increases evasion, so they'll be hitting you less. (Basically, you want them to hit you as little as possible.) Flamethrower gives blissey a somewhat ok offensive move with which to protect itself, giving it type advantage over troublesome stuff in this gen. You know who I'm talking about. Toxic is another alternative, which works slow but steady. Anyways... 252 HP means blissey gets extremely high HP. 252 def gives blissey a little extra edge on that spectrum. 4 sp. Def gives blissey one little point in sp. Def that it may need. Bold nature also helps blissey on the defense spectrum. And last but not least, leftovers is for HP recovery.

Hey, wasn't the original point of the Community POTW to have each person not only give their set, but also vote on the next POTW?

Salamence / TTar / Blissey are boring standards. Especially Blissey who only has like two good sets (WishBliss and Softboiled), maybe two-three more if you include crap like CM or Charm Blissey.

Though I have to say the TTar and Salamence POTW were very good. Its true a lot of the sets are obsolete but none of them seem completely unviable (except Rest/Sleep Talk Salamence, I'm sorry Reno but that set is horrible lol). Great job so far!

well I'll ask serebii about the voting, but it'd probably start when 5th gen pokemon are introduced.

Default bliss

blissey

ability: serene grace

Item: rugged helmet

Nature: bold

attacks:

charge beam
    hyper beam
    counter
    soft boiled

EV: special attack and speed

Cleric updated

blissey

ability: healing heart

item: leftovers

nature: bold

attacks:

toxic
    hyper beam
    aroma thereapy/heal bell
    heal beam

EV: SA and def
    peace, love and lush

Blissey (F) @ Mind Plate
    Trait: Natural Cure
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Flamethrower
    - Softboiled
    - Healing Wish

basically a slight wall using its stall time to damage the opponent....
    other mover sugested-toxic, water pulse, etc.

If I could be a Gymleader:
    ELECTRIC

Just as Jesusfreak said, the only thing Blissey has going for it over Chansey is the better special attack and leftovers. Leftovers should always be on Blissey. Always. And because of the better SpAttack, always go for the standard Ice Beam/Flamethrower/Thunderbolt standard special moves (maybe Shadow Ball or Psychic if your team really needs it). If you're going to go for the set damage Seismic Toss, you might as well use Chansey, who can't use the special moves, and needs something damaging to use. Just some input for people to consider before posting
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

I know this feature does not usually have much maths, but in the case of comparing Bliss and Chansey the best way to make the comparison clear is by throwing some in, at least the conclusion. If you want some numbers when comparing Bliss and Chansey, assuming 252 HP / 252 Def Bold (the most common for both by the stats).

Blissey:
    HP: 714
    Def: 130
    SpDef: 307
    Defensiveness: 92820
    Sp. Defensiveness: 219198

Chansey:
    HP: 704
    Def: 178
    SpDef: 370
    Defensiveness: 125312
    Sp. Defensiveness: 260480

So Evo Stone Chansey takes roughly 1/4 less (25.93%) from Physical hits and roughly 15% (15.85%) less from special hits. Blissey counteracts this by regaining 6.25% per turn from leftovers and being able to use non-Seismic Toss attacks (Ice Beam, Fthrower, Tbolt). It can also do a fair bit more with Counter, though risks being KOed by more physical attacks than Chansey.
    Last edited by eric the espeon; 18th January 2011 at 7:51 PM.

Wishing Blissey (pretty standard and IV Gen)

Blissey@Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    252 HP/252 Def./4 Sp.Def
    -Wish
    -Protect/Softboiled
    -Flamethrower/Seismic Toss
    -Toxic

Wish for healing partners or herself. Softboiled for extra healing, Protect for stalling Toxic damage, and, along Flamethrower for full coverage against everything, especially Steel-Types that resist poison, and Gengar. Seismic Toss if you are not afraid of ghosts.

Aroma Blissey (cleric)

Blissey@Leftovers
    Bold Nature
    252 HP/252 Def./4Sp.Def
    Ability:Natural Cure
    -Aromatherapy
    -Softboiled
    -Seismic Toss/Flamethrower
    -Thunder Wave/Toxic

Aromatherapy for obvious reasons of healing team status. Softboiled to recover. Seismic Toss go well with Thunder Wave, to cripple poisonous ghosts; or may run Flamethrower and Toxic to poison everything and melt Steel-types.... and Gengar.

Bliss... Chansey?

Chansey@Miracle of Evolution
    Bold Nature
    252 HP/192 Def./64 Sp.Def
    -Seismic Toss
    -Softboiled/Wish
    -Aromatherapy/Protect
    -Toxic/Thunder Wave

With that miraculous item, Chansey gets more Defense and Sp.Def. than her evolution, at the cost of Special Attack. So with this set, Seismic Toss is the way to go. Then, choose between Thunder Wave, which nicely cripples fast sweepers; or Toxic, that goes great with Wish and Protect, but Gengar may switch and SubSplit Chansey with terrible results. Aromatherapy goes there if you choose Thunder Wave and Softboiled, since you won`t need Protect and it will heal all your team from status. Oh, and another thing, Chansey loses Leftovers recovery.

EV Options
    There is a little of controversy of choosing whether maxing HP and Defense, or actually investing a little to improve Special walling. Run for max Defense and Sp.Def if you fear heavy special assaults, such as Choice Specs Users, or if you are going into Ubers. Otherwise, a max HP max Defense set may be better. There is always something that goes in the middle, however, the vital stat to max is Defense, as some Special attackers may have a physical attack in order to attack Blissey.

Less used Options:

Serene Grace: Raise probability of added effects, but status moves are better in a lot of cases.

Healing Heart and Healing Beam: Double and Triple battle use, otherwise useless. Healing Heart has a chance of healing partners`status (Aromatherapy does it better), Healing Beam instead is more useful, as it heals directly a partner.

Counter: Not many Blisseys run this, but if one carries this and resist the attack, better say good bye to the attacker. May run with a Focus Sash, if you actually want to do this strategy, but this way you won`t heal each turn and Blissey will be extremely easy to kill. Mmm, very risky.
    Last edited by Blackbomber72; 21st January 2011 at 4:59 AM. Reason: added a few info

Not Again!!!!!!!
    Does this have anything to do with the new server?
    EDIT: All the spam site's URLs are .co.cc sites, Is there any chance Joe could contact the people there about this?

Quote Originally Posted by bugcatchersdream View Post
    Not Again!!!!!!!
    Does this have anything to do with the new server?
    EDIT: All the spam site's URLs are .co.cc sites, Is there any chance Joe could contact the people there about this?
    Please don't comment about the spambots. All forums have had an influx of them, it's not just us. We're trying to block them but recently the main methods of blocking them was cracked. Just ignore them and use the report button when they are posted.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast