Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Cloning Extinct animals

Default Cloning Extinct animals

This is a serious debate topic. I read a story that said Scientists are going to attempt to clone and resurrect a Wooly Mammoth. We all know what cloning is, the question is is it right to bring back a species using science that has been extinct for millions of years? I want to start by saying I dont think so.

The world has changed. The climate and environment is way different now than it was when Mammoths and other ancient animals walked the earth. Also the food they used to eat is also extinct. They are talking about making a species that was alive a millions of years ago, and forcing it to try to live life in a world that likely led to extiction in the first place. This animal if they succeed, will just be a lab rat, a thing for the scientists to study and experiment on. I think this is wrong and a wate of a life, and most likely the mammoth wont survive very long and wont live a good life. If they succeed it might also lead to them cloning other antient species, and a Jurassic Park like scenario comes to mind.

Debate.

Sounds great to me, just make them taste good and raise 'em on a farm. Everyone will want a mammoth of a mammoth burger.

um wow, thats not a good reason at all to bring an extict animal back to life, thats not the reason they want to do it in the first place.

I think it depends on the animal. And how long ago it was extinct.

For example scientist have been attempting to clone a Thylacine for years. The last Thylacine died in 1934, while some climate changes have happened since 1934, no real major change to the atmosphere has happened in a period of nearly 80 years. I think bringing the Thylacine back from extinction would be a good idea.

However, Mammoths have been extinct for 10,000 years. There have been massive changes in the climate since then, esepecially regarding the heat. A mammoth probably would not survive the rather hot climates of today, so bringing them back from extinction is probably a futile effort.

Isn't cloning extinct animals against the laws of natural selection, as in only the fittest can survive the current environment while the others die off to extinction for not adapting? Personally, I wanted them to clone a T-Rex to see it in action and end the "hunter or scavenger" debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Dattebayo View Post
    Isn't cloning extinct animals against the laws of natural selection, as in only the fittest can survive the current environment while the others die off to extinction for not adapting? Personally, I wanted them to clone a T-Rex to see it in action and end the "hunter or scavenger" debate.
    Humans already killed natural selection. A hurt animal in the wilderness, if a animal-activist comes along, will likely be helped even though natural selection was eliminating it. Zoos have bunches of animals that survive whether they're good or not, and animal care centers take in hurt animals all the time.
    3DS FC (Pokemon X): 1848-1667-7668
    Friend safari is Ice with Snorunt, Beartic, and Cloyster. Looking for Dragon safaris, safaris with Whirlipede or Espurr, and Y-exclusive Mega Stones.

Shiny Chains (D/P): Ralts, Magnemite, Beldum
    Targets: Shinx
    Shiny Chains (X/Y): None
    Targets: Clauncher/Clawitzer, Swirlix, Smeargle

I dont think they should bring back dinosaurs or mammoths or things like that but if it works (probably not but you never know) they should bring back dodos and the tasmanian tiger and things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nye the Sneasel Guy View Post
    Sounds great to me, just make them taste good and raise 'em on a farm. Everyone will want a mammoth of a mammoth burger.
    Me too, I wonder what a mammoth burger tastes like. Anyway, cloning a mammoth and forcing it to live in a place it's not familiar with-not a good idea.
    ------------------------------
    ------------------------------
    I'm a giraffe. I belong in the wide plains of Africa. With my people, in sunshine.
    I will shine. Hopefully I don't get noscoped. Pece.

I believe Cloning is better used to bring back species that we ourselves made extinct, as we would be correcting a mistake we made, and leave it at that.

This reminds me of one of my favorite movies.. **looks at my location**

If we have the technology, why not? There's nothing bad about it unless you want to discuss it's morality. I think it would be wonderful to have the technology and figure out how animals lived and looked back in they're time.
    Fan of Jurassic Park? Jurassic Park Legacy is your friend: http://www.jplegacy.org/board/index.php

cloning itself is Ethically and morally wrong on many parts, yet scientists continue it's study. this topic isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

my opinion on this subject? No, do not bring it back, like people have said, it would just die soon after for not being able to adapt.
    sudo apt-get remove Windows && sudo apt-get install Ubuntu

self proclaimed geek and Linux user.

Proud owner of both Pokemon Black AND White. will get the FCs up here when I'm not too lazy to do so,

Isn't cloning extinct animals against the laws of natural selection, as in only the fittest can survive the current environment while the others die off to extinction for not adapting?
    Skydra has a point. Besides, there is artificial selection. Humans have bred dogs that would have not otherwise come to natural existance.

Personally, I wanted them to clone a T-Rex to see it in action and end the "hunter or scavenger" debate.
    Yeah, and while we're at it, let's give it brain functions equivalent to a human and give it a race car.

The greatest experiment ever!

Awesome!

Anyway, the woolly mammoth would be interesting to revive, but it was adapted to the Ice Age. There would be no way you could revive enough to bring it back to the environment of today.

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!
    Wakin, I'm already a demon...
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Nothing about this proposal makes sense. First, elephants are becoming extinct because they have less space to exist in the wild and farmers are treating them like pests and killing them. And elephants are really hard to keep in captivity.

Where would they keep a growing mammoth if they ressurrect one? It would be cruel to introduce a mammoth to a world and then introduce it to a family that is facing so many problems in the future. If we're still worrying about elephants, then it's jumping the gun to resurrect a mammoth.

Quote Originally Posted by Albus Dumbledore
    Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

My deviantART
    | Suggested Alternative News: The Juice Rap News and The Corbett Report

I would support this research. Studying an ALIVE extinct animal (or any other) would be awesome. The data obtained would help to clear phylogenetic relationships and to fully understand their physiology, going beyond the simple guessing we do.

Yes, this animal would be nothing more than just a lab rat, and knowing mankind, we will probably try to exploit it, like we once did.

Nevertheless, the studies than could be performed are worth it.
    10th prestige Lv 55 Nightmare

I still Like wafflezzzz...

Hmm. Like SunnyC, I think this is a matter of mixed priorities. If we can't even take care of the species we currently have, it's a bit presumptuous of us to try bringing back ones we've lost. Especially if those lost species require a certain different climate. We don't even pay proper attention to our own contemporary climate! Kind of jumping the gun, there.

But that's sort of the case with scientific research. We just run forward, studying and experimenting on whatever we're interested in at the moment. It would be far wiser to have a linear progression of "first study and learn how to control X topic, then study and learn how to control Y-dependent-on-X topic."
    Last edited by Profesco; 18th January 2011 at 1:46 AM.

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

This would be great if it were possible. We could bring back Neanderthals, and breed with them to make some half-human hybrids. Anyone who says cloning in ethically wrong doesn't want progress. We need to explore our scientific powers. We should then clone extinct animals to make them fight for our amusement. We can also store them in little balls.
    Jackpot!

I have a theory that the Pokémon world and the Mother world are one in the same. I won't go into spoilers for Mother 3, but think of Black and White's story of the dragon and the twins. Also, chimeras are kind of like Pokémon.

Werster is without a doubt the Pokémon Master.

Quote Originally Posted by Arceusdude222 View Post
    cloning itself is Ethically and morally wrong on many parts, yet scientists continue it's study.
    but what's so immoral about genetics? What's wrong with cloning? It's science, and we can learn a lot about biology and evolution if we could resurrect the animal.
    Fan of Jurassic Park? Jurassic Park Legacy is your friend: http://www.jplegacy.org/board/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Arceus-sama View Post
    um wow, thats not a good reason at all to bring an extict animal back to life, thats not the reason they want to do it in the first place.
    I find an alternitave source to feeding the technically starving world population a great idea. Humanity > Practicallity.

Quote Originally Posted by ~Spacial_Rendation~ View Post
    However, Mammoths have been extinct for 10,000 years. There have been massive changes in the climate since then, esepecially regarding the heat. A mammoth probably would not survive the rather hot climates of today, so bringing them back from extinction is probably a futile effort.
    It's called adaptation. Every organism does it on this planet. They would too. There are places, however, these beasts could roam, like Northern Alberta, Northern Saskatchewan, and Northern Manitoba.

Brilliant idea. Ressurect one of the most dangerous hunters in the history of Earth. See above comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Arceus-sama View Post
    I believe Cloning is better used to bring back species that we ourselves made extinct, as we would be correcting a mistake we made, and leave it at that.
    That's a little, discriminatory. And knowing some jerk-face scientist in the US or some other country, they'd probably get the idea to ressurect previous forms of life.

Quote Originally Posted by evolutionrex View Post
    If we have the technology, why not? There's nothing bad about it unless you want to discuss it's morality. I think it would be wonderful to have the technology and figure out how animals lived and looked back in they're time.
    This, to an extent. There are flaws, however. One being the resurected species over-adapting, thus becomeing smarter than the human race, and enslaving us all.

cloning itself is Ethically and morally wrong on many parts, yet scientists continue it's study. this topic isn't even the tip of the iceberg.

my opinion on this subject? No, do not bring it back, like people have said, it would just die soon after for not being able to adapt.
    So, you're for the reversal of modern society? Half the crap you eat is cloned or genetically modified. See second comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    Anyway, the woolly mammoth would be interesting to revive, but it was adapted to the Ice Age. There would be no way you could revive enough to bring it back to the environment of today.
    See second comment.

but what's so immoral about genetics? What's wrong with cloning? It's science, and we can learn a lot about biology and evolution if we could resurrect the animal.
    The fact that maybe it wanted to die, I dunno. It's a veiwpoint, go with it.

As you can tell, I'm all for this idea. We could thus have a surpluss of meat, vegetation, as plants could be ressurected too, and dino-shit, which I believe everyone these days wants. And hell, while we're at it, why not breed a few species of dinosaur for personal transportation? Truly green technology. Just saying...

I'm curious as to hearing these ethically and morally wrong reasons.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/dheavp.png[/IMG]
    Credit to Nuit

Quote Originally Posted by chuboy View Post
    Quick, someone get the scientific community onto this one! A truly brilliant hypothesis that would have been insofar overlooked by every researcher who has contributed to this field of science. And it's only 8th grade stuff!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister Zero
    I roam Johto with my partner Pokemon, Rattata, who knows Hyper Fang, Sunny Day, Rock Smash and Cut. Anyone who runs with more than one Pokemon or evolves their Pokemon takes the game way too seriously.

But one of the problems that'll block this process is the budget issue. The U.S. is under a reccession, which could also affect other countries that revolve around it, and cloning an animal there would cost millions of dollars.

But one of the problems that'll block this process is the budget issue. The U.S. is under a reccession, which could also affect other countries that revolve around it, and cloning an animal there would cost millions of dollars.
    Cloning a single male and female would cost millions of dollars. The rest, we let them do.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemazter3001 View Post

Brilliant idea. Ressurect one of the most dangerous hunters in the history of Earth. See above comment.
    Don't forget the race cars!

This, to an extent. There are flaws, however. One being the resurected species over-adapting, thus becomeing smarter than the human race, and enslaving us all.
    Highly unlikely. You would have to have either very expensive and hard to obtain technology and want to do it (as well as having the fruitfulness of getting it to work), OR you get millions of years of artificial and natural selection to take its course.

The fact that maybe it wanted to die, I dunno. It's a veiwpoint, go with it.
    Without getting into theology, let's use Pokemon as a beginning example. Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf represent intellect, emotions and willpower of animals respectively. Just as many animals exhibit signs of intelligence and emotions, I believe there is a driving force that gets them in life. It "wanted" to die? Heck, if it wanted to die, maybe it would have invented contraceptives. Okay, that's going to far, but still, organisms live to live.

As you can tell, I'm all for this idea. We could thus have a surpluss of meat, vegetation, as plants could be ressurected too, and dino-shit, which I believe everyone these days wants. And hell, while we're at it, why not breed a few species of dinosaur for personal transportation? Truly green technology. Just saying...
    Cloning is not effecient the slightest. Heck, why would anybody want a Flintstones dream come true?

Cipher sent us to hell - but we're going even deeper - take back every Pokemon that we've lost!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    Highly unlikely. You would have to have either very expensive and hard to obtain technology and want to do it (as well as having the fruitfulness of getting it to work), OR you get millions of years of artificial and natural selection to take its course.
    Or you get a group of retarded scientists to teach whatever it may be to think.

Without getting into theology, let's use Pokemon as a beginning example. Uxie, Mesprit, and Azelf represent intellect, emotions and willpower of animals respectively. Just as many animals exhibit signs of intelligence and emotions, I believe there is a driving force that gets them in life. It "wanted" to die? Heck, if it wanted to die, maybe it would have invented contraceptives. Okay, that's going to far, but still, organisms live to live.
    I'm just saying, and it's not like we can interpret the thoughts of animals. Yet.

Cloning is not effecient the slightest. Heck, why would anybody want a Flintstones dream come true?
    Who wouldn't? And it can be efficient. Start off the race, and let it breed.

Or you get a group of retarded scientists to teach whatever it may be to think.
    Okay, if they are retarded (assuming that word is used to mean stupid) than how are they capable of being top class scientists. You fail to grasp that cloning is HIGHLY inefficient. Scientists can't make all dreams come true. There are dimensions (limitations) to what we can do scientifically.

I'm just saying, and it's not like we can interpret the thoughts of animals. Yet.
    We got a gorilla to learn sign language. It's not that we are completely alienated to finding intelligent thought to some creatures.

Who wouldn't? And it can be efficient. Start off the race, and let it breed.
    Let's clean up dino-poop, clean the blood that was caused by the dinosaurs preying on whatever, and not take advantage of technology that would make lives even easier. I must say, that would be a truly naive concept. Cloning is not efficient. You cannot repopulate an organism that quickly; breeding with only a few organisms will not be quick enough, nor sustain all the environmental pressures that are against it.

Cloning a single male and female would cost millions of dollars. The rest, we let them do.
    The "Adam and Eve"/"Noah's Ark" approach does NOT work. You'd need hundreds or thousands of different individuals to keep a population going, genetics-wise.

The animals also need to be able to thrive, i.e. food, water, shelter, etc.. The further back a species went extinct, the less likely it'll be able to adapt. Oxygen levels, climate, food, diseases, all change over the ages...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast