Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Community POTW #4

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Actually, if you think about it, a guts set might work better on machamp then on Roobushin, since no one expected it in the first place, and it's less likely now.

Plus, with higher speed then roobushin, guts might work with the choice scarf better. What about stone edge?
    Surprise is not an important factor when it doesn't lure in anything important. And when the opponent sees a machamp that uses a Fighting move other than Dynamicpunch, they'll know that it's obviously guts.

Finally, you shouldn't be scarfing Machamp at all, since he's an absolutely horrible scarf revenge killer this gen.

I'd like to see some interesting ones soon indeed. Machamp isn't really interesting for me. Mewtwo gained a bit this generation with a signature move that 2KOs Chansey, Blaziken is hot now that it has speed boost, and Mew and Arceus can always be counted on to have loads of variety.

Perhaps you should just launch 2 pokemon each week, one on sunday, one on thursday or something like that, so you can cover more pokemon before 6th gen comes out. After 3 days it seems that pretty much everything remotely viable is posted and after that we either get repetitions or crazy things like physical attacking blissey and specschamp, especially with pokémon that don't have massive loads of variety in them like Machamp, Blissey, Ursaring, Metagross, and Heatran.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 29th January 2011 at 4:26 PM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Quote Originally Posted by Sceptile Leaf Blade View Post
    I'd like to see some interesting ones soon indeed. Machamp isn't really interesting for me. Mewtwo gained a bit this generation with a signature move that 2KOs Chansey, Blaziken is hot now that it has speed boost, and Mew and Arceus can always be counted on to have loads of variety.

Perhaps you should just launch 2 pokemon each week, one on sunday, one on thursday or something like that, so you can cover more pokemon before 6th gen comes out. After 3 days it seems that pretty much everything remotely viable is posted and after that we either get repetitions or crazy things like physical attacking blissey and specschamp, especially with pokémon that don't have massive loads of variety in them like Machamp, Blissey, Ursaring, Metagross, and Heatran.
    Metagross has a plethora of sets that are viable ._.

I completely agree with these Pokemon being boring. Not much can be done unless Reno or Serebii decide to change their plans early. But eventually (when B/W are released) a voting system will be installed in this where members will be able to choose the next POTW.

I think right now Reno is just trying to flesh out a core of analysis that cover most of the primary competitive Pokemon so we won't have to do them later. Doing two POTW (one voted on, another picked by staff) would solve this, but would double the work Reno has and sort of destroys the meaning of "Pokemon of the week".

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I completely agree with these Pokemon being boring. Not much can be done unless Reno or Serebii decide to change their plans early. But eventually (when B/W are released) a voting system will be installed in this where members will be able to choose the next POTW.

I think right now Reno is just trying to flesh out a core of analysis that cover most of the primary competitive Pokemon so we won't have to do them later. Doing two POTW (one voted on, another picked by staff) would solve this, but would double the work Reno has and sort of destroys the meaning of "Pokemon of the week".
    So I guess that means they already have the POTW Pokemon list planned out? I was kinda hoping that we could nominate the next Pokemon to do, 4th Gen of course. I mean, even some old guys have awesome new sets, like Blaziken, Gliscor, Cloyster, Dragonite, etc. Heck, we could do Ditto at the same time as something else next week, since it only has one good set and may not be hard to write an analysis for.

I think hes just trying to get the boring ones out of the way so when B/W are released (and Serebii gets flooded with new members) fewer people will be forced to deal with the boring stuff.

.. I don't know. Blissey, Salamence and TTar are ok, but I can't really defend Machamp as he didn't get anything new, is most outclassed by Roobushion and is UU now. So we basically copy pasted 4th gen sets for a Pokemon no one cares about.

I completely agree with these Pokemon being boring. Not much can be done unless Reno or Serebii decide to change their plans early.
    lol, petition. I think I suggested 2 per week a while ago. Before long, we're gonna be in gen 6 with twice as many pokemon as we had in gen 3, when we did only 1 per week. We'll need to do two eventually, why not start sooner rather than later?

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Heck, we could do Ditto at the same time as something else next week, since it only has one good set and may not be hard to write an analysis for.
    Here's its (only) set:
    Nature: Nobody cares.
    EVs: 252 HP, whatever else you feel like.
    Ability: Eccentric
    Moves: Who gives a crap?
    Item: Choice Scarf

That was hard :P

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    Here's its (only) set:
    Nature: Nobody cares.
    EVs: 252 HP, whatever else you feel like.
    Ability: Eccentric
    Moves: Who gives a crap?
    Item: Choice Scarf

That was hard :P
    You forgot to have the IVs listed -- there are actually about three "different"
    viable sets, technically, with IV's for HP Ice, HP Fire, and HP Electric respectively.

I'll make sure we get something like Ditto for April fools or something (in addition to the current POTW). It will simultaneously get a useless yet important analysis out of the way and appear like we're joking at the same time.

It will simultaneously get a useless yet important analysis out of the way and appear like we're joking at the same time.
    Well that's a confusing statement.

Wait, does Hidden Power copy IVs (ergo HP type and power) or does it simply change your stats? If the latter is true, the IVs should probably make HP a good offensive type just in case you copy a pokemon with Hidden Power, though whether or not you pick a type that is super effective against the copied pokémon itself is luck of the draw.

See, we could have this set ready by tomorrow alongside Champ. Wow, we've managed to discuss Blaziken, SpecsChamp, Ditto, etc. Shows how great our attention spans are, hehehe. Good work, team.
    Last edited by ASB; 30th January 2011 at 3:37 AM.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    Wait, does Hidden Power copy IVs (ergo HP type and power) or does it simply change your stats? If the latter is true, the IVs should probably make HP a good offensive type just in case you copy a pokemon with Hidden Power, though whether or not you pick a type that is super effective against the copied pokémon itself is luck of the draw.
    I believe you are referring to Eccentric, and no, I don't think it copies IVs, just stats. Oh, and on the Ditto set, a lot of people run max Def alongside HP, mainly to survive as many Struggles as you can in case you get into a Ditto vs. Ditto war.

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    I believe you are referring to Eccentric, and no, I don't think it copies IVs, just stats. Oh, and on the Ditto set, a lot of people run max Def alongside HP, mainly to survive as many Struggles as you can in case you get into a Ditto vs. Ditto war.
    Good point, I hadn't thought of that. If you find yourself with a double switch through explosion or something and both players send out Ditto (idk why they would unless it was their last pkmn), that'd suck. I guess that'd mean you want 4 Speed EVs to outspeed the other player as well. If you increased your defense, then the opponent wouldn't do as much, so wouldn't they not take as much recoil either? It seems like a stalemate either way. I guess you could run 4 speed EVs, 128 Def and 124 Atk, though I'm not sure whether or not the def and attack would matter because they would increase your recoil and decrease your enemy's recoil anyway.... (*i think*). If this is true, maxing spe would be best to make you outspeed other Ditto in a StruggleFest...

...see? It only takes the SPPF community about two days, three days max to come up with a bunch of practical sets for a pokémon like Machamp, and only a couple of hours to come up with strategy for a pokémon like Ditto (because it's SO hard to come up with a set for Ditto). They spend the rest of the time talking about stuff like SpecsChamp, ScarfShuckle, Specscadrill, and stupid stuff like that.

...Lol, I call dibs on the term "Specscadrill". I'm so clever =]
    Last edited by ASB; 30th January 2011 at 3:33 AM.

really, really, really getting sick of every thread turning into THIS POKEMON IS NOT WHAT I WANTED, EVERYTHING IS BORING.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234