Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The Human Species (PG-13)

Haha! Lucario is just awesome, hitting Zoroark so easily was just fun to read. Also the three steps clash scene was fun as well.

Also, how did Zoroark learn about Bloodtypes? Did I miss something? Or is it just knowledge she happens to know?

Well, this is indeed getting interesting, more so than before. It will be exciting to see how they get out of this situation, mayhap even have a temporary truce to overcome it.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

Time, there's never enough of it but it's always there to waste.
    -Azurus

Lucario shall have a ball thrown at him, and toss it at zoroark. Zoroark is some sort of poke-hybrid.
    How did Lucario know...
    Please awnswer.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

This the aquabats song awesome forces:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4sL0w3SHM
    and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post14945242

Quote Originally Posted by Azurus View Post
    Also, how did Zoroark learn about Bloodtypes? Did I miss something? Or is it just knowledge she happens to know?
    Probably read the instructions for the Sph... Sphygno... Sphygnomanometer...

Nah, school actually taught him a lot of stuff, which is a big surprising considering his past. Once you know about his past, you'll never look at Zoroark the same way again.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotomknight View Post
    How did Lucario know...
    Wait a little longer, and he can tell you himself!
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    Year 4-7: Forever Legendary [img]http://i52.*******.com/16a5hc2.png[/img]
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Year 10: The Human Species [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/34zypdx.png[/IMG]
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Chapter 59

Electric Tiger Raikou

A crash of thunder sounded somewhere in the distance, and Lucario felt his heart miss a beat in shock. Zoroark sobered up in an instant at the terrifying sight before them. In the middle of the forest where they had fought now stood the legendary dog Raikou, carrying the eternal champion Red on his back.

Raikou looked as intimidating as ever, perhaps even more so in the darkness of the night and pouring rain. Yellow fur covered his massive body, one that was not as enormous as that of Entei but still more than twice as big as Lucario's. His four legs were long, but rather than lanky they were all thick, muscular and extremely sturdy. Droplets of rain dripped down the crest covering his forehead, disappearing somewhere within the white mane covering his face or the purple mane reaching across his back in a wavy patter. The water that came into contact with his spiky tail was not as lucky, instantly evaporating into tiny blue explosions.

Red sat on Raikou's back, nestled within the purple mane as if it were a classy robe. His beard had been trimmed and was shorter than Lucario remembered, but it was still quite prominent and did not hide the old trainer's advanced age. The red cap on his head was slightly different this time, but just as unfitting for a man of his position. However, his stature was as powerful as ever, radiating assurance and evoking a curious sense of respect from both Lucario and Zoroark.

"Two for one…?" Red said with a bored expression, eyes barely open as he looked back and forth between the two Pokémon, "… Half the challenge. What a shame."

Lucario did not know whether to cower or straighten himself up. The utter defeat he and Zerobi had faced the last time against the legendary and his masterful trainer still burned fresh in his memory, as did the unparalleled voltage that had left him paralyzed for days. He had trained and fought with the hopes of one day claiming revenge, but simply thinking about it was nothing compared to actually standing there. Raikou stared him down like the implacable beast he was, and Lucario could already feel something sinister in the air. It reminded him of static electricity, except it seemed to be flowing freely all around him. His hairs stood on end, partly due to the electrical currents and mostly due to the combined fear and excitement he was experiencing.

"So…" Lucario whispered as he looked back at Zoroark with a hopeful expression, "This is the part where we put our difference aside and team up to fight a common foe, right?"

Zoroark drooped, wondering when this extremely long day would finally end. Between nearly killing Mew, getting beaten up by Lucario and somehow running into the most dangerous enemy in existence by chance, his only wonder was if he was to die from a heart attack before the rest of the world succeeded in one of their many attempts to do him in. Shaking his head, he finally realized the severity of the situation and felt his adrenaline start pumping again. He knew he had survived worse, and refused to accept such an unfair end to his life.

"Not a chance," Zoroark replied bluntly as he took a step forward, "Stay quiet and let me talk to him."

Instantly he regretted moving, Raikou's piercing gaze quickly falling upon him. The giant canine's red, volcanic eyes reminded him so much of Entei, he felt an involuntary shiver run up his spine. Raikou was supposedly every bit the fighter Entei had been, the main exception being that he was guided by the greatest trainer of all time. Zoroark knew there was no tricking this experienced duo, and even if he wanted to there were few geographical advantages to make use of in the middle of the forest. He knew that actually defeating Raikou was not an option, and his only hope was to do what he was best at. If it had worked against both Entei and Mew, what were the odds of things being any different with this legendary?

"Hmm? Lucario…" Red muttered with a facial expression of mild curiosity as he looked at Zoroark, "… Is it the Weavile who has evolved into this strange, new species…?"

"Raikou!" Zoroark suddenly shouted, staring at the legendary while completely ignoring the aged trainer, "I bring a message from your brother Entei!"

Raikou returned his stare without giving off any hint of a response. For a moment, Zoroark felt like he was talking to Connor, slowly realizing just how much more intimidating the silence was when trying to communicate with a dangerous foe.

"He said…" Zoroark continued as his posture turned sharp and his voice gained more confidence, "… No, he demanded that you do not hinder this revolution!"

"… Foolishness…" Raikou suddenly responded, to both Lucario and Zoroark's shock. Even Red seemed to be taken slightly aback, wondering what the Pokémon could possibly be discussing to actually get a reply out of his normally mute guardian. Raikou's voice was rough and dry as the desert, yet not nearly as deep as Entei's had been.

"It is the truth!" Zoroark yelled, glad to finally get a reaction and possibly even a chance to escape the encounter unharmed, "As proof that I have earned his trust, he showed me what was behind his mask! I know what lies beyond yours, as well! He would never let someone he did not trust know about something like that!"

The legendary's eyes widened. A troubled look crossed his face for a moment as he seemed to contemplate what to do next.

"Raikou…" Red said with a dull tone as he petted the side of his Pokémon's head, "… Charge."

Suddenly, Raikou's bemused expression was no more. He continued staring down Zoroark with cold, uncaring eyes as his upper body began to give off a faint glow. The hair around his face rustled quietly, and his purple mane slightly lifted from his body. Lucario could see the legendary's yellow hair moving in ripples, and was suddenly struck by a feeling of unease all over his body. Looking down, he gasped as he noticed that his own fur was also in motion, dancing to the powerful pulses of static electricity emanating from Raikou.

"Are the negotiations going well, or what!?" Lucario yelled to Zoroark, but was not given a response. The once confident leader stood completely frozen, not budging an inch or making any effort of either talking or attacking.

"... What the hell am I waiting for!?" Lucario growled to himself, remembering his vow for vengeance against the legendary monster that now looked like fearsome lantern in the dark woods, still only partially lit. Not knowing how much time he had to spare before Raikou had finished charging up, Lucario quickly amassed as many mitochondria in the palm of his hand as he could. They burst and formed a glorious sphere of deep blue, contrasting against Raikou's white shine which was lighting up the night.

"HAH!" Lucario shouted, throwing his arm out towards Raikou and letting the Aura Sphere fly. The glowing hound suddenly looked up from Zoroark, Red harshly pulling a tuft of hair to signal a warning. Raikou did not even have time to recognize the Aura Sphere before struck him right between the eyes. Lucario smiled, knowing what was to come next. Had he taken more time to stabilize the sphere, it would have pierced right through the overgrown dog. However, such was not his intention, this time.

Raikou howled in pain as the Aura Sphere suddenly exploded, a flare of blue fire covering his head and burning both outside and inside his helmet. He staggered and took a large step backwards, Red holding on tightly as to not fall off.

"GOTCHA!" Lucario yelled triumphantly while Raikou's sparkling fur began to tone down, and the light quickly diminished as the legendary lost his focus and stopped charging. Teeth bared in hostility, Raikou glared viciously in Lucario's direction.

"See? Let's team up and show him how it's done!" Lucario said confidently as he turned around to look at Zoroark, still quite still and quiet. He had a hard time making out the dark-type's features in the darkness of the night, and the lack of any response made him feel strangely alone in his fight against the legendary.

"Ah… I see you have mastered the Aura Sphere," Red said quietly while stroking through the large mane beneath him in an attempt to calm down his Pokémon, "… Raikou, prepare maneuver Surge-two. Show the boy proper use of a projectile."

After hearing this, Raikou's angry expression settled down as he crouched down and once more started glowing with increasing intensity. Lucario got a bad feeling, but knew the Aura Sphere was by far his most speedy attack, and a large beast like Raikou really should have no possibility of dodging it. He let the aura flow through his right arm again, charging up while ready to react at a moment's notice. To his surprise, Raikou seemed to be doing the exact same thing.

"TAKE THIS!" Lucario shouted as he thrust out his left arm, trying to fake out Raikou. The legendary stood completely unfazed as Lucario two seconds later threw out the arm carrying the sphere, shooting it directly towards Raikou's body. It was already halfway there, and Lucario thought another direct hit was inevitable.

In an instant, Raikou made a short hop. To Lucario's utter disbelief, Raikou turned himself around like a corkscrew in midair, the Aura Sphere just barely grazing past the mane whishing through the wind. Watching the bulky body move with such impossible grace was enough to throw Lucario off, and he failed to notice Raikou opening his mouth. While still upside down in the air, the legendary spat out a surge of electricity which instantly took on the form of a thunderbolt. In a flash, it raced towards Lucario who did his best to leap to the side, but everything had happened to quickly for him to fully comprehend.

Lucario's world turned white and yellow as the thunderbolt struck, electricity coursing through him and causing a burning pain throughout his body. He felt his legs give way as he fell to his knees, confused and disoriented. A deep thud told him that Raikou had landed, realizing that all this had happened within the timespan of a small hop.

"Despite his size, Raikou is actually quite agile…" Red said, peeking up through Raikou's mane with a somewhat disappointed expression, "… Raikou, discharge."

A roar filled the skies as Raikou suddenly threw his head up, releasing the charge he had been building up. Red ducked within the mane as the legendary exploded in a brilliant flash of white, sparkles of slightly blue electrical currents stretching out over the area. Powerful thunder leaped between trunks and branches, chaining themselves together like a highly advanced and lethal spider's web. Stray leaves exploded into flames as a bolt of lightning struck Lucario, lying on the ground and shaking uncontrollably as if his every nerve had caught on fire. Unable to shut his eyes due to the intense pain, he could not help but see an even stranger sight unfolding before him.

Several feet behind the shimmering Raikou, a previously obscured figure stood illuminated in the middle of the electrical current. The creature became more and more visible with each passing moment, as if fading into reality. It rattled violently with painful twists of its upper body, before falling forward and landing squarely on its face. It was then that Lucario looked back and realized that Zoroark was no longer standing where he had last seen him. Before he could examine the figure more closely and confirm his fears, another bolt of stray lightning struck. The indescribably strong electricity claimed his very being, leaving his mind in a scrambled, panicked state up until the point where it finally gave out and he fainted.

After a few moments, the lightning diminished as the last of the stray bolts crawled after deeper into the forest, growing weaker with each passing tree. Raikou lowered his head calmly as Red peeked back up, witnessing the destruction around them. To his relief, he noticed that the fires had already gone out thanks to the rain, so there was no need for him to worry about an impending forest fire. To his disappointment, however, he also saw that his two opponents both lay on the ground, unmoving and utterly defeated.

"I knew it would be overkill…" Red sighed with pensive melancholy, having hoped for a better challenge and deciding to pick a weaker Pokémon the next time, "Raikou, you have done well. I demand that you take a vacation once we are finished."

Raikou lowered his head further, remembering how boring his last vacation had been. While thinking of a way to stay longer with Red, a painful cough sounded behind him. Turning around, the legendary saw Zoroark lying down, struggling to get up.

"You new species are all the same…" Red muttered as he examined the dark-type with chagrin apparent in his voice, "… Using whatever unique ability you were blessed with, thinking it makes you invincible… So boring."

Zoroark looked up, a terrified expression on his face. His attempt at escape had failed, and he knew there was nothing he could do about it. Quivering heavily while trying to stand, he remained lying down as he could no longer move or even feel anything below his waist.

"I… Will not…" Zoroark said with a trembling voice, reaching into his hair to grab a hold of a vial. He tried to drag it out, but dropped it as his hand continued shaking and refused to get a good grip. Red sighed once more as he patted Raikou on the side, the massive legendary beginning to walk towards Zoroark. The dark-type panicked and scrambled to get up, once again to no avail. Coughing ferociously, he stretched out towards a nearby root and tried to drag himself away.

"… No Man's Land…" Zoroark wheezed indignantly as Raikou and Red came up behind him, "… Is not ready… To survive… Without me… I can't… Not yet…"

"Who would have thought it would be this easy…?" Red said quietly as he reached into his backpack, pulling out something that Zoroark needed no closer inspection to recognize. He struggled harder, actually managing to pull the full length of his body ahead as Red jumped down from Raikou and walked up to him.

Only then did he realize that it was all over.

"N-No…!" Zoroark pleaded one last time as a round, metallic object touched the back of his head. In an instant, his being transformed into crimson light and was sucked up by the Pokéball. Red left the ball lying on the ground, watching it bounce back and forth as its captive gave his one last display of refusal, trying his best to escape the advanced contraption.

"Three… Two… One…" Red counted down, and precisely on the last beat, the movement of the Pokéball stopped. With that, the leader of the revolution was no more. All that remained as yet another addition to Red's sizable collection of Pokémon. He had caught Zoroark.

"You will get used to it," Red whispered reassuringly to the Pokéball as he picked it up. While he was still disappointed at how easy it had been, he felt relieved that at least one of his targets was able to fit inside a Pokéball.

"As for you, my friend… I am afraid the easy way is out of the question," Red said as he walked back to Lucario, seeing that the fighting-type was already unconscious and not about to make a final stand like Zoroark had tried. There were a few things he wanted to tell Lucario, but knew there was little time to spare. Carrying his body and placing it on Raikou's back, they began their journey towards the outskirts of the forest.

Red looked back in the direction of No Man's Land. For a moment, his boyish spirit for adventure awoke as he wished he could have seen the acclaimed city of Pokémon at least once. With its leader and founder resting quietly in his backpack, he knew it would not be there for much longer.
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Well balls, that didn't quote go according to plan. I wonder what will happen next.

I was kind of expecting Zerobi to make an appearance but it wouldn't have made I difference I think.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

-Azurus

Well balls, that didn't quote go according to plan. I wonder what will happen next.

I was kind of expecting Zerobi to make an appearance but it wouldn't have made I difference I think.
    It's not like she could do much against Raikou the last time...

I'm quite excited about the new Pokemon Mystery Dungeon, by the way. That the series that inspired this story, you know! Looks like I'll have to buy a 3DS, after all!

True enough, the discharge would have knocked her out too. Man none of the main characters are bulky at all, are they?

So am I, and I have a 3DS already so I am one step closer. When do you speculate a release date? I'm thinking sometime between April and July next year.

-Azurus

Wow! Zoroark gets captured by Red. Very nice, did not see that coming. I wonder how that will effect the revolution...
    Keep it up!

Hey! I just started reading and I must say, wow. I really like this story and think its awesome. I wonder who the main antagonist is? At first I thought it was Zoroark, but he was taken care of without the conflict being resolved. Now I'm guessing rather Red, Brendan, Darkarai, or possibly a behind-the-scenes character who won't reveal himself until the very end. Anyway, keep up the good work!
    Three most annoying things:

1. Metal Mario
    2. Arrogance
    3. Writer's Block

Chapter 60

Equilibrium
    (Epilogue of Episode IX)

Perplexed and exhausted, it took Lucario several minutes to comprehend that he was awake. He sat still, vacantly looking at nothing in particular, everything around him a darkened shade of brown. There was a light tapping against his right foot, but like everything else it was not enough to grab his absent attention. Things were rocking back and forth in a very soothing motion, and it only served to bring him closer to sleep once more. It was not until the room suddenly lurched violently, sending Lucario to the side where he knocked his head against some kind of metal and abruptly came back to his senses.

"Son of a…" he murmured, clutching his sore head. It felt like he had been banging it repeatedly against an unprotected electrical socket, the thought of electricity suddenly bringing his mind up to date. He tried sitting up straight, only to bash his head against yet another hard object. Swearing while clutching his head once more he looked around hastily, expecting to see Raikou or maybe even Zoroark sneering at him from somewhere.

There was not much to see. All around him was some kind of thick brown cloth, light seeping in through various small holes and cuts. He could see it move in the wind and hear it flutter, but the air was musky and unpleasant. Reaching up to try and lift the cloth, he was stopped by some kind of metallic object in his way. It was difficult to tell in the darkness, but as he inspected the object more closely he noticed that it was bar made out of iron, and only one of the many that now surrounded him.

Lucario growled and bashed his cage as hard as he could, not even making a dent in the hard metal. A decently powerful aura beneath the cage told him he was being carried by some Pokémon, one he had never met before. All of this seemed strangely familiar, and Lucario thought back to the last time a trainer had captured him. Back then he had been unconscious for most of the trip, and worried as to where he was being taken this time. If the scientist wanted him back for more experimentation, he knew he would eventually face the same fate as the poor Dragonair had.

Realizing the cage was not even large enough for him to sit up straight, Lucario slumped back in defeat. With nothing else to do, he suddenly became aware of something tapping against his right foot. Looking down, he saw a small round object lying on the ground, rolling with the constant motions of the cage between one of the bars and Lucario's toes. Picking it up without really thinking, the upper half of the ball suddenly opened up and exploded into a flash of red light. Lucario tried to back away but had no way of moving around, and the strangely sentient light ended up landing right in his lap. A warm sensation preceded that of something like a heavy pelt taking form upon him as the cage became more and more cramped by the second.

"Ah!" Lucario exclaimed in terror as he had no intention of being crushed against the floor, when the creature from the Pokéball suddenly stopped growing and the red light faded away. He tried to see who it was, his vision now obscured by a sea of red hair as something kicked him right between the ribs.

"Lucario!?" Zoroark shouted out with a confused voice as he tried to stand up, "Where are-"

"A cage!" Lucario replied as he covered his chest, somehow ending up with a fast elbow against his nose, "OW! Stop squirming, damn it!"

"Get away from me!" Zoroark yelled as he once more tried pushing Lucario away, but failed to do so. He began to realize that there was something behind him both of them, and quickly started to think of another way to separate. Trying to stand up, he ended up banging his head against the top of the cage. Almost falling face first onto Lucario, his descent was stopped by the fighting-type holding his arms in front and catching him in midair.

"Move your hands!" Zoroark suddenly burst out with indignation, his voice filled with rage. Lucario was about to snap back with a snide remark, when he suddenly noticed that his hands were sinking into something unexpected. It was warm, soft and hairy, but had the toughness of firm flesh to it. Zoroark quickly backed out of Lucario's grasp and scratched his aching head as Lucario pondered over the strange thing he had felt. For a moment he thought he'd pushed against Zoroark's belly, and that the dark-type had really gained a few pounds since their last meeting, but closer observation told him that he had definitively been pushing against the upper body.

There was something familiar about the sensation, like something from a very distant past coming back to him through either Ethan or Cyon's memories. Looking at Zoroark's torso, he saw nothing that could even remotely compare to what his hands had told him. His hair was bushier around his shoulders and chest, and Lucario began to wonder if maybe something was hidden within. Zoroark was busy examining their surroundings and seemed fairly unaware of their situation, and so Lucario saw his chance. Carefully he moved his hand to try to brush some hair aside without its owner noticing, but before reaching his target he felt his hand sink deep into the softness once more. Zoroark and Lucario flinched in unison, and Lucario filled up with horror as he could now feel the strange thing, but could clearly see that his hand surrounded by nothing but air.

"Last warning!" Zoroark growled sharply as he quickly raised one of his spiky hands in a threatening gesture, "If you touch me again-"

"I'm not touching you!" Lucario blurted out in shock, trying to figure out what was going on, "See? There's nothing there, but… But… I feel something!"

Zoroark glared at him for a moment, his expression slowly turning bitter as he saw Lucario's confusion. Trying not to break eye contact lest the dark-type try anything, Lucario could not help but notice something moving by the edge of his vision. Hesitantly looking down to where his hand was, he saw a faint swirl of darkness surrounding it, connecting his hand with Zoroark's body. He froze up, watching with utter disbelief as the darkness grew thicker and more solid, turning into the color of Zoroark's black hair. It finally took form, the swirl converging into two spherical designs, both symmetrical with one another. It was not until Lucario noticed a small nub at the end of one of the globes that he realized he was currently groping one of Zoroark's surprisingly large breasts.

"Now can you move your hand?" Zoroark sighed, Lucario immediately pulling his arm back and scrambling to get himself in order. Staring directly at the well-developed chest in front of him, he could hardly believe what he was seeing, but there was no denying the first thought that popped into his head.

"Y-You…" Lucario stammered with a perplexed tone, turning his gaze upwards to face Zoroark with a new set of eyes, "… You're female?"

"Took you long enough to figure out," Zoroark responded quickly and gave off an exasperated huff, "Was it too dark for you to see when I showed you the first time?"

Lucario thought back, remembering how Zoroark had initially promised to show him a secret which he ended up never seeing. Looking down at the bust once more, he realized that while it was quite apparent now, he could easily have missed it in the dim lighting of the underground cave.

"I… I'm no good at telling genders apart, but there's no mistaking the feeling of…" Lucario started before he suddenly realized what he had done and moved further back in alarm, "… Ah! Sorry about that, I thought you were… Or rather, weren't…"

Zoroark gave no response and looked away from him with an annoyed expression, making him lose his train of thoughts. Suddenly, he became very aware of Zoroark's body lying on top, trying to figure out exactly which parts of her he was rubbing up against. He had no way of telling, as everything still just felt like warm, hairy rug.

"… Why?" Lucario asked after a few minutes, examining Zoroark more closely to see if anything else had changed. Zoroark turned back towards him, an agitated expression still present on her face.

"Long story…" she whispered, before noticing Lucario's eyes on her body and feeling her temper rise once more, "… Would you stop staring!? I'd like to spend my last few hours alive with some manner of digni-"

"I knew it!" Lucario shouted as he clasped his hands together in triumph, having finally come to the conclusion he was looking for, "You… You can turn invisible! That's how you hid your gender, and vanished during battle!"

A moment of silence passed between the two of them, Lucario awaiting a response while Zoroark had no idea what to say. She had assumed Lucario would have figured out her true powers by now, and if her pounding headache was anything to go by, even managed to see through them.

"Wait… You didn't know?" Zoroark exclaimed in surprise, "Then how could you possibly have hit me that last time?"

"With my fist!" Lucario replied cheerfully, the great sensation of sweet revenge seeping back into him.

"… I know my illusion was perfect, tell me how you managed to see through it!" Zoroark demanded, far from satisfied with his answer.

"Well, honestly…" Lucario murmured as he thought back, "… I guess it was just a lucky shot?"

"Stop playing dumb!" Zoroark growled, becoming very infuriated by the stubborn fighting-type, "I am about to die because of you, at least give me some damn answers!"

"I… I just felt like that point of time would be a good time for you to attack," Lucario said quietly as he tried to remember exactly what he had been thinking about before deciding to lash out with an uppercut, "So I punched to the side, precisely where you attacked me the last time, and to my surprise I actually hit something."

Zoroark was speechless. Something inside her mind told her Lucario was neither joking nor lying. Leaning against the side of the cage, she suddenly felt very weak. Trapped right next to someone she was beginning to hate quite a bit and on her way to certain execution, all while No Man's Land stands unaware and defenseless. Forcing back her tears, she slumped down in defeat. She hoped her life had been as meaningless as it had seemed.

"… Luck…" Zoroark repeated quietly as she solemnly looked off to the side, "… How I miss the days when I had that…"

"What, you weren't expecting any bad karma after what you've done?" Lucario asked as he also leaned back into a more comfortable position, trying his best not to make their current positions too awkward, "Luck's with everyone else in the world, seeing how this is the end of your stupid revolution."

"… And I suppose you have a better idea for getting humanity to stop treating us like garbage?" Zoroark muttered bitterly, "You know, enslaving us on a whim? Hunting us down and murdering us just because they can?"

"… Uh…" Lucario murmured while trying to think of a good response, "… Did you try protesting?"

"That IS what we're trying!" Zoroark snapped back as she pointed accusingly at Lucario, "They are the aggressors, trying to shut us down through force since they are unable to do it through reason!"

"What I meant was… Violence only creates more violence," Lucario explained, copying what Mew had told him earlier, "The root of the problem is the lack of understanding humans and Pokémon have for each other. All we need to do is sit down and… Uh, talk."

"Exactly! Again, that is precisely what we are trying to do!" Zoroark continued with her tirade, feeling her spirits return at the thought of the injustices she had been served in life, "The language barrier forces us to show our displeasure through actions rather than words… I mean, just being near a human means they have the right to do whatever they want with you, so every discussion like that would open with a Pokéball and end with a lifetime of slavery!"

"… Alright, so maybe you've got a point," Lucario mumbled, not having given much thought as to how he and Mew were going to fix the relationship between humans and Pokémon, "But that doesn't change the fact that a selfish cross-dresser who hates humanity is SO not the right person for this job. Let someone more qualified handle it."

Suddenly, Zoroark lowered her head, letting an ominous shadow cover her face.

"… More qualified…?" Zoroark snarled intensely as she clenched her claws together, "… I've spent years studying… Researching… Planning… Do you think I would have given up everything for this cause if ANYONE else was able to do this!?"

Lucario flinched as Zoroark's voice turned into a powerful shout, the dark-type filling up with murderous rage.

"Pfft, given up everything?" Lucario responded casually to prove that her roar had not intimidated him, "Yeah, right. You're obviously just doing this as a grab for power, to become ruler of the world or something."

"Ruler!? Why, you little…!" Zoroark continued as she suddenly thrust her arms forward and held them right in front of his face, spiked fingers hanging limply at the end, "Look!"

"… Uh, did you change gender again or something?" Lucario asked, not seeing any obvious difference on the dark-type.

"Oh, for the love of-" Zoroark groaned as she leaned forward and pushed her right arm against Lucario's hand, "Feel, then!"

Lucario wondered if she was trying to get him to molest her again when he suddenly noticed that there was something unusual about her arm. It was covered with the same fine hair as the rest of her body, but while the hide underneath was mostly smooth, certain sections had a particularly coarse texture to them. Moving his hand around, Lucario could feel the rough skin stretching over her arm like long cuts, slowly beginning to realize what they were.

"I got these scars barely a month into the revolution, and was lucky to escape with my life," Zoroark explained with a vicious tone and angry facial expression, "Ruler? I'll be happy to have eyes left to see the fruit of my labor! These scars will never heal… I'm already disfigured beyond recovery, and you dare question my motives!?"

Breathing heavily, Zoroark had no intention of calming down. Her ideas of composure and putting up a reliable facade were all but gone at the thought of imminent death. What difference would it make?

Suddenly, Lucario's hand reached out and grabbed a hold of her arm, pulling it into himself and dragging it firmly across his chest. Before she had time to react or protest, a certain sensation of crudeness upon her wrist made her realize what he was trying to show.

"Welcome to my world," Lucario muttered sourly, "You think you're the only one suffering?"

Zoroark pulled her hand back in surprise, speechless once more. From sight alone there was no way of telling, but beyond his thick chest hair Lucario had more scars than even she. Giant, impossibly devastating scars, signifying a mutilation no living creature could possibly have survived. She knew she must have felt it wrong and decided to examine them more closely, caressing and prodding through Lucario's fur. He seemed a bit discomforted at this, but what she came to realize next shocked her even more.

"That… That shape…" Zoroark whispered as she felt around carefully and was able to determine the form of one of the scars, "… Caused by surgical tools? By… Humans!? But… Why…?"

Lucario came up short. He rarely thought about his scars, and figured they were just something Cyon had gotten from another Pokémon in the past. He knew two of them were from Deoxys, but the idea that the many others might have been caused by human tools made him feel uneasy.

Zoroark noticed Lucario's changing expression and pulled her hand back, worried that she had made him too uncomfortable with her examination. For a moment, she wondered why she even cared. Suddenly, Lucario no longer seemed like the brash ignorant who had ruined everything, but rather a tragic figure who really did not know any better… Just like she had once been.

Guilt came down upon her with great weight as she realized that she had done what she always hated when others did – Judged someone on face value. After dealing with thousands of different Pokémon each day, she had forgotten that there might be those out there that really are nothing like they seem. Wanting to test Lucario's character and knowing she really had nothing left to lose, she decided to be completely sincere for once just to see where it would bring them.

"… Listen, Lucario. I severely underestimated you when I said my reason for doing this was because I hated humanity," Zoroark explained while looking Lucario deep in the eyes without blinking to show that she was not lying, "I thought it might get you to join the revolution, since you were hurt so badly by them. You would have been a valuable ally, and I… I did not want to risk losing you."

"If it's any consolation, I wouldn't have joined, anyway," Lucario replied while wondering where her serious expression had come from, "Why am I so important? Cut the lying this time around, OK?"

"Because… Lucario… You are not like everyone else," Zoroark continued explaining, "You have no past to sway you from making the right decisions. You have no relatives to dictate your choices in life. It is as if you were born an adult with a mature mind, completely untainted by the opinions of others and ready to see what truly needs to be done…"

Zoroark suddenly felt a bit distressed, realizing that speaking truthfully might come back to bite her in the future. Even so, seeing Lucario's surprisingly interested expression made her decide to go through with it. Most would have shut her out by now, but here he was, listening to every word of her confession as if it really mattered to him. To her, it confirmed what she had felt all along.

"You are like me," Zoroark said bluntly, giving off a faint smile in confidence, "If it's because you have amnesia or used to be human, whatever. You are the only person capable of understanding what I am doing."

"But…" Lucario muttered, not sure on how to respond, "… I don't understand what you're doing."

"Humans do not treat Pokémon as equals. To everyone in the world this is simply the way things are, and no one believes it is possible to change," Zoroark clarified, a fire suddenly lighting up in her eyes as she rose a bit, "I will make them believe. Humans and Pokémon can coexist as equals."

"… Coexist?" Lucario repeated, the word sounding right to him but not clearing him of his previous concern, "So… No trying to overthrow humanity?"

"Heheh, Lucario…" Zoroark snickered at the strange notion as she shook her head in amusement, "I am merely the leader of an ideology, currently followed by thousands of others. If I deviate even a little from my original plan, they'll abandon or flay me in an instant. It is literally impossible for me to do something like that."

Zoroark fell quiet, Lucario sitting deep in thought as he considered her words. In the end, their goals were the same – To unite humans and Pokémon. He thought her methods seemed reasonable, and potentially a lot more effective than Mew's dedicatedly pacifistic route. Even so, Lucario found it hard to believe that he could have been so wrong about the revolution all this time, and he knew that he was not exactly the first person to ask when it comes to solving a conflict he had not even known about a year prior.

"… All right," Lucario finally said, "I understand what you're trying to do."

"That means…" Zoroark exclaimed hopefully, "You'll join the revolution!?"

"No," Lucario said bluntly as he shook his head, "But I won't hinder you anymore."

"Heheh… Odd choice of words for someone in a cage," Zoroark snickered quietly, her expression slowly turning into one of depression, "… Damn it. After finally managing to convince you… Why does it have to end like this?"

"What will happen to us?" Lucario asked as their surroundings suddenly lurched, making him feel nauseated.

"Had we been taken by a common rube it would've been one thing, but…" Zoroark said before stopping herself, "… Hmm, no, I suppose in that case we wouldn't have been captured in the first place. It had to be one of the champions, didn't it?"

A moment of silence followed, Lucario eagerly waiting as Zoroark thought of what to say. Little did he know she was not thinking of what to say, but rather how to say it without getting him to needlessly panic. The day had been rough to the both of them, and she did not know how many more bad news he could take before snapping.

"… Red is being manipulated by a troublesome group," Zoroark explained while displaying a grievous expression, "They call themselves Team Rocket, but that name is just a ruse. They are actually made up of remnants from many different criminal organizations that have disbanded over the years."

"Red? Manipulated?" Lucario repeated, the idea of someone putting a leash on the man who had defeated him twice sounding unreasonable and hurting his pride.

"The ultimate revenge…" Zoroark whispered with a sigh before raising her voice, "Red was the man who disbanded the original Team Rocket, and now they're the ones controlling him from the shadows. He is but a man and has grown old and feeble, but organizations… They take in fresh blood and stay young forever."

"… I see," Lucario whispered while nodding towards Zoroark, "That's what you're planning for the revolution, isn't it?"

"Hmm… Maybe? Their leader Giovanni stepped down and his son immediately took over… Monarchy really simplifies things, no?" Zoroark mused while contemplating the idea of having an offspring to take things over should anything happen to her, "Speaking of the revolution, I am fairly sure Team Rocket are the ones responsible for experimenting on the Pokémon in the tape. You know about the tape, don't you?"

"Read about it," Lucario said with a nonchalant wave of his hand, "Didn't see it."

"… I envy you…" Zoroark replied with distaste apparent in her voice, "… If we truly are within Giovanni's grasp, odds are we will be starring in a video of our very own before long…"

"Wait…" Lucario mumbled as the thought of being experimented upon brought back unpleasant memories, "… They're the ones that took me after I was kidnapped by that brat, weren't they!?"

"And I had to rescue you?" Zoroark verified, sadly aware that such an outcome would not be possible this time and starting to imagine the horrors that lay in store for them, "… The poor souls we took away from that place have yet to recover. I… I really don't want to end up like them…"

"… End up like what?" Lucario grunted defiantly and gave one of the iron bars above him a few knocks, "We're not dead yet. Turn invisible and escape when they open this thing."

"It is not that simple," Zoroark muttered with regret and a hint of grief as she leaned back against the cage, "My ability is convenient, but riddled with too many shortcomings to be of general use. There's no way I could use it to trick a master like Red, or a veteran like Raikou."

"Hmm…" Lucario mumbled in response, "What makes you think they'll be there?"

Zoroark looked at him. Suddenly, her eyes narrowed.

"Wait, who's carrying us?" Zoroark asked with confusion in her voice.

"Dunno, but I can sense its aura," Lucario explained while focusing his senses on the creature beneath them, "It's really not that strong, and definitively not Raikou or Red."

"… It's… It's not Red…?" Zoroark repeated hopefully before sitting up as straight as she could without bumping into the ceiling, "… Then… Then maybe… If only I could get past these bars, I could steer us right…!"

Lucario watched her as she began to examine the cage around them for structural weaknesses. He tried moving out of her way as to not intrude upon too many private areas when he suddenly noticed something tapping against his right foot. Looking down, he realized that he had all but forgotten about the Pokéball that had brought Zoroark there. A thought crossed his mind where he put her back into the Pokéball to get some more stretching room in the cage, but the thought quickly took the form of an idea.

"How was the Pokéball?" Lucario asked, wondering what transforming into a red light and living inside a container could possibly feel like.

"… I am never going back in that thing again!" Zoroark growled as she looked down at the Pokéball, apparently seeing it for the first time and moving as far away from it as possible. Nothing in this world could have prepared her for the sheer horror that was the inside of a Pokéball, at least to a Pokémon with her incurable affliction. She tried to subdue the fear welling up, but the thought of returning to that hell was even worse than the idea of dying.

"Too bad," Lucario huffed before a smile began to develop on his face, "Might be our ticket out of here."

"It won't fit, the bars are set too tight," Zoroark mumbled bitterly, trying to catch on to Lucario's train of thoughts while drawing attention away from her growing terror, "… And I won't be able to parachute if I'm still in the ball."

"… Huh? I mean, I don't exactly know how they work, but things that come out of it look like thin, red lights…" Lucario explained while hoping he was not completely off with his plan, "… If I hold it between the bars and open it, wouldn't you materialize on the outside?"

Zoroark thought to herself for a moment. A smile crossed her face as well, but it did not stay long.

"… Aha. Clever…" Zoroark whispered with a frown, "… By sealing me back within the Pokéball, you make sure that I will not find a way to escape, thereby condemning the revolution to a failure… Is that it?"

"… You don't trust very easily, do you?" Lucario sighed, realizing that his original thought actually amounted to something like that before he had come up with the idea. They looked at each other for a moment, trying to read one another. Somehow, the hostile atmosphere between the two had completely evaporated over the past hour, and it seemed almost unreasonable that they had been involved in such a perilous battle right before.

Still, Zoroark was not entirely convinced. She knew she had not made it so far in life by blindly trusting whoever she came across. Now that escape was a possibility, she was starting to feel that divulging her deepest secrets might not have been such a good idea. She needed to be sure of who she was dealing with.

"Tell me, Lucario…" Zoroark said quietly while giving him a serious look, "What is your purpose in life?"

"… Do I need one?" Lucario asked, feigning an offended tone.

"You struggle and suffer, yet leave behind all the impact of a passing cloud," Zoroark explained with an unwavering stare and harsh tone, "What is your reason to keep on living?"

As decisive as Zoroark hoped the question was, it was nothing new to Lucario. Since finding out he would never become Ethan again, he had asked himself the same thing more than once, weighing out his current situation. How he was a human-Pokémon hybrid that could not find peace in either societies. How he fought and bled for the sole purpose of keeping himself alive. How many others had suffered and sacrificed in order to help him.

Although the last thought brought him discomfort, the answer was more than obvious.

"I'm not a fan of the alternative," Lucario replied. Zoroark continued examining him with her pensive gaze for a moment before accidentally cracking up. She snorted, stifling a laugh from the direct yet unconventional answer.

"… Alright," she finally said, looking down at the Pokéball and regarding it with equal amounts of hatred and terror. She swallowed her fears and picked it up, careful not to touch the opening that would suck her back into the unending nightmare that dwelled inside. Breathing heavily, she kept telling herself that no matter what unimaginable terror she was to face this time, it would only be for a few moments.

"I will… Enter the Pokéball once more, and trust you to pull this off," Zoroark said as she thrust the Pokéball into Lucario's open hands, a bit woozy at the thought of soon being back inside the infernal contraption, "I am literally placing my life in your hands. Whatever your plans, thoughts or feelings might be… Please, do not waste it."

Lucario nodded assuredly, starting to get the idea of just how much Zoroark loathed being trapped. He held up the Pokéball and turned it around a bit, trying to figure out how to make it work. As Ethan he had supposedly used the things over a million times, but right now he was as oblivious as a child with his first Gameboy.

"Just… Push it against me," Zoroark muttered, noticing that she was already starting to shake and worried she would soon lose her nerve, "Once I am out, tear that thing in two… I do not want to know what happens if I try to escape while it's still functional…"

Their eyes met one last time, both regarding the other in a new light since having been thrown into the cage. To Lucario it was not an entirely new sensation, having initially regarded Zoroark with gratefulness and even admiration when she had saved him from the hell both of them were about to enter once more. The thought of turning out like the Dragonair made him toss out all inhibitions as he jabbed the Pokéball against Zoroark's stomach, a little too eagerly as she coughed in surprise.

The heavy exhale hung in midair as her body developed a red hue, beginning to shine brightly as it exploded into a beam of red light and disappeared inside the Pokéball. Lucario swallowed hard as he looked down at the tiny ball, wondering if Zoroark could still see or hear him somehow. He moved it to an empty spot between two bars, carefully as to not give her motion sickness, and pointed it to the ground just outside the cage. He did not exactly know what lay beyond the cloth, but knew sending her out there unprepared was not a good idea.

Fiddling about with the hull while trying to find a way to get the Pokéball to spit out Zoroark again, he found what seemed to be a small indent on the underside. Pressing against it, the lower half of the Pokéball suddenly shot open. The Pokéball leaped out of Lucario's flimsy grip as red light shoot out. It went past the bars and struck one of the makeshift walls around them, beginning to materialize Zoroark once more.

However, as more of her being came into existence, their already unstable prison proved itself not willing to accommodate. She had just reached full form as the cloth she was up against ripped from its foundation. Still glowing faintly red, the figure of Zoroark was immediately sucked outside, disappearing for Lucario's view.

"NO!" Lucario yelled as he reached out and banged his face against the iron bars. The cloth that had obscured their vision all this time now flailed wildly in the wind, and if the clouds outside were anything to go by, he knew without a doubt that he was being transported by flight.

"Zoroark!" Lucario shouted, wondering what to do. Zoroark had no way of flying as far as he knew, but the dark-type did have many other tricks up her sleeves. For all he knew, she could have an ability that lets her soar, or a parachute hidden somewhere inside her long red hair.

Suddenly, the memory hit him. Zoroark had said something about parachuting while he was busy explaining his idea. Lucario smiled a bit, and could not help but chuckle at the thought of her having realized they were in midair long before he did.

His smile faded, becoming aware that Zoroark was now heading towards the ground and was no longer in any position to rescue him. For some reason, it did not feel as bad as he had feared. She had saved him before, and now he had repaid the favor. Picking up the Pokéball and putting his muscles to use, the top and bottom half came apart fairly easily. Inside the Pokéball was wide array of technology, hidden by the simplistic red and white colors shown on the outside. Sighing in relief, he let the empty lids fall down beside him as he was finally able to lie down and stretch out a little more.

Lucario hoped Zoroark would not delay in mounting a rescue operation, and began mentally preparing himself for his reunion with Team Rocket and whatever they would try to do with him. His body sore from Raikou and mind exhausted from the very long and eventful day, he closed his eyes with the intent of taking a short nap. Little did he know, he would not be waking up for a very long time.

Don't DIE!!!!!
    Zoroark is a girl?
    I was expecting something like deoxys in armor.
    Or some other super pokemon in a costume.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

We already knew long ago that Zoroark is a girl, you just had to pay attention.

Anyway, I'm interested to see just how Lucario is going to escape this time, and what Zoroark plans on doing now.

Looking forward to more and glad they could patch things up.

-Azurus

Well, the next episode will be the last for quite some time, because I have to get back to work again. Don't worry, I won't be leaving you on a cliffhanger!

Chapter 61

Rocket Boss Giovanni

Lucario continued sleeping, the events of the previous day crawling through his head like frenzied insects, subjecting him to a very peculiar dream. He dreamed he was eating rice and curry off a black, furry pelt. A grain fell into a particularly thick bush of hair, but when he reached in for it his hand sunk into something and he was immediately struck by powerful static electricity. It was painless, but crippled his entire body as an angry roar sounded above him. There he saw a giant Connor, the bodybuilder's mouth open wide and giving off a guttural scream. In his hands he dangled a lifeless Mew back and forth by her tail, just out of reach from Zerobi who was jumping up and down to try and catch her.

"A dangerous one, is she not…?" the black pelt suddenly whispered with a voice that sounded a lot like Zoroark's, "I would not leave Mew in the care of that murderous psychopath…"

Lucario did not understand what the pelt was talking about, looking at the giant Connor taunting Zerobi more and more. Suddenly, Connor fell quiet. Zerobi had brought out her claws and cut into his kneecaps. A river of blood flowed from the wound and engulfed Zerobi, as she suddenly leaped up towards Mew and swished her claws past the small legendary, cutting her tail in half and sending her crashing down.

"NO!" Lucario shouted, and the vivid scene was no more. He sat up, his world transformed from a nightmarish realm into a tiny, dark room. It was completely empty room, and looked a bit like the inside of a closet. However, what caught Lucario's attention was not what he could see, but rather what he could hear.

Music.

The sound was slightly dampened and coming from the wall in front of him, but he could still make out what it was. It was a classical piece he faintly recognized, an orchestra playing and occasionally leaving room for a solo piano to show off. From the powerful, speedy sound of it he assumed the piece to still be in allegro, which meant this particular song had not been playing for long.

The more he listened, the more he realized just how poorly the wall in front of him was blocking the sound. While he had been anything but successful in the past when it came to breaking out of cages, he decided to at least give it a try. Pushing against the wall, he was quite surprised to find it easily giving way, almost like a door. The music struck a crescendo as light flooded his vision, and he could finally see where he was.

It was a grand hall, nearly as large the cavern Lucario had met the legendaries in. It had a regal air to it, luxurious pillars stretching up from the carpeted floor to the adorned ceiling. Several chandeliers hung above him, each one lit by hand with their tiny fires playing around and causing the entire room to flicker. Across the walls were paintings of landscapes humans and Pokémon, but most were unintelligible to the point where Lucario could no longer tell what they were supposed to display.

In the middle of the room stood a very long table, obviously designed for a dining hall. A multitude of chairs surrounded the giant table, but they were all unoccupied aside from one. Sitting by the far end of the table, as far away from Lucario as one could get, there was a man.

Although his skin was fairly pale, the man looked anything but unhealthy. He seemed to be around 30 years of age and had a strong air of importance about him, which Lucario assumed was because he was sitting at the end of the giant table like a king. The man wore a red tie and an orange suit, golden buttons shimmering like silver or crystal. Sitting straight with a curious smile on his face, he stared at Lucario. His eyes were red like lava, sharp as knives and for some reason appeared to be even more dangerous than both. In front of him was a glass filled with a red liquid, and a freshly uncorked bottle of wine stood next to it.

"Welcome to my humble mansion," the man suddenly said with a dry and deep voice, gesturing with his hand towards the empty chair, "Have a seat, Ethan."

Whatever Lucario had expected the human to say, it had not been that. His interest in the room and its glamorous decorations instantly disappeared, his attention focused entirely on the strange man.

"You… You know?" Lucario asked with his expression caught between bewilderment and worry, "How is that possible!?"

"Oh, I know you better than your own mother, Ethan…" the man explained as a hint of disgust crossed his face, "… Although considering the woman in question, I suppose that isn't saying much."

"You…" Lucario whispered quietly, very surprised to hear what sounded like an answer, "You understood me? You understand Pokémon speech?"

"Not at all," the man replied confidently before placing his arms on the table in a calm manner, "I am simply familiar enough with you to know exactly what you are going to say and do."

"… Oh yeah?" Lucario muttered defiantly, not at all pleased with the man's sense of superiority, "Well… Lovely barnacles grow upon the moon where only carrots may fly! How's that!?"

"I assume you are spouting gibberish as to throw me off?" the man asked with a slight shrug, once more beckoning Lucario to sit, "Do take a seat, so we may continue with the next phase of our conversation."

"Yeah… 'Conversation'…" Lucario repeated sarcastically. He forgot all about sitting down as a million thoughts raced through his mind at once, the idea that this man knew about his true nature all the way down to his shaky and rather private relationship with his mother overshadowing most. Apart from Mew and Zerobi, no one should know about his previous life as Ethan. Even he did not know until Mew told him.

"Perhaps a refresher would be in order?" the man said as he noticed Lucario's confused stare. He got to his feet, standing tall by the end of the table to let Lucario get a better look at him.

"I am the current leader of Team Rocket, Giovanni…" the man spoke with a powerful voice as he held up an open palm, "… But I believe you would remember me better by the name of Silver!"

"… Silver…?" Lucario repeated quietly. While the names 'Team Rocket' and 'Giovanni' were fresher in mind, neither had the same impact upon him as 'Silver'. He knew he had heard it somewhere before, so long ago it had to have been in another life. Even so, for some reason he felt his temper grow short, like he suddenly wanted to punch the smug bastard in the face.

"… We have been rivals since childhood, Ethan," Silver said with a look of burning passion on his face as he lifted his arms slightly, "Under the blazing hot sun, we fought. Within the coldest winter night, we fought. Beyond the realms of time and space itself, we fought."

The words struck a strange chord within Lucario. That a champion like he had been had many rivals was a given, but he had always assumed them to be Brendan, Red or other famous Pokémon trainers. He had never heard of anyone called Silver before, yet so far the strange man had proven to know him much better than anyone else.

"Hmpf. Feign ignorance as much as you please, I can recognize you all too well…" Silver said as he sat down and began musing to himself, "But I must wonder over your appearance… Were you so enamored with Pokémon that you ended up becoming one?"

They regarded each other for a moment, both silent. As far as Lucario could tell, Silver was not carrying any Pokéballs, and did not see any obvious containment space for them on his tightly pressed suit. This served to make him even more curious, wondering if perhaps his old rival had long since run out of hostile intentions.

"Go ahead. Sit," Silver said, this time with a more demanding tone to his voice, "I prepared this meal for your sake. You did not eat during the trip here, so you must be very hungry."

Lucario was. Little did Silver know that he had not eaten much before the trip either, or at any other point in his life except for the rice and curry the big flower Pokémon had served. He suddenly noticed a plate of widely colored plants and a spoon by the chair at his side of the table, the edible sprouts giving off steam and a very pleasant odor. He could tell from sight and smell alone that the food was about five stars above simple homely cookery, like something he excepted to see at a fancy restaurant right before a bill he would never be able to afford. Aware that he could just beat up Silver and split should anything bad happen, Lucario decided to indulge himself for a moment and finally sat down.

"You may eat," Silver said, the stern tone in his voice still quite apparent. While the food did look quite appetizing, Lucario knew better than to carelessly dig into a meal a man calling himself his rival had prepared. Carefully poking the sides of it with a fork, he tried to determine whether or not the food was poisoned, wondering if his inherent immunity was strong enough to save him.

"Come now, I would not greet your return after more than a decade with such childish tricks," Silver suddenly exclaimed, making Lucario wonder if he had accidentally spoken his thoughts out loud, "Besides, as a Lucario you would be immune to all forms of poison, no?"

However, Silver's words only served to increase Lucario's worry. He felt that everything was planned out too well, and began to wonder if Silver really was as vulnerable as he had first thought. The growling of his belly argued that he should not pass up a chance for actual food for anything, especially not needless paranoia. Rationalizing that he could use the strength only gained from a full stomach to fight off what was to come next, he dipped the spoon into his colorful meal and stuffed some of the plants in his mouth.

"Only the rarest… Only the finest…" Silver explained as he leaned back, picking up his glass of wine and swishing it around a bit, "I eat like this whenever I please. Plates lined with dining so exquisite, the peasants of the world would all die of starvation after taking just a whiff of this and realizing just how filthy their own food is!"

As much as Lucario wanted to disagree, there was no denying the eruption of taste coming from his tongue. In a world where berries were like ash and simple curry with rice was a gift from the gods, the food currently making its way down his throat was like ingesting the pure essence of life. The sheer nutrition his senses picked up was enough to make his deprived muscles revitalize in an instant. Lucario stopped breathing for a moment in utter shock at what he was experiencing, forcing himself back to consciousness as to not lower his guard before his rival.

"Heard my boy was the one to capture you the last time," Silver said before tipping his glass back and swiftly drinking up the content, turning quiet and leaving Lucario wondering what he meant.

"That was… Your son?" Lucario asked while thinking back. In between the agonizing pain inflicted by the tiny creature and the Zubat he had had such a nice chat with, he only faintly remembered that the hair of the arrogant boy that day had indeed been colored red.

"I can only assume what happened," Silver said as he set down the now empty glass, "But you of all people should know better than to underestimate a fledgling trainer… Especially one with the title of 'Silver'!"

"… You know, for a mortal enemy, you are quite courteous," Lucario said while prying his eyes away from his delectable meal and towards Silver, growing tired of their one-sided conversation, "Almost a shame that I have to beat you up and escape after this dinner."

"Oh, but of course. Our destiny as rivals has always been clear, Ethan," Silver responded with a sinister smile and longing gaze, "Ever since the day we first met… Do you remember? It was behind Professor Elm's laboratory…"

To his own surprise, Lucario did remember. While the details were still quite foggy, he recalled Elm and his lab quite well. They were just about the only interesting things in his hometown of New Bark, both quite mysterious and important. He would spend hours on end sitting outside by the back of the lab, dreaming of being allowed to come inside. While he was certain he had entered more than once, whatever was inside must have had a lot to do with Pokémon as he could not remember a single detail that lay beyond those doors.

What he did remember was the one day when he was not the only one out there. Another kid around his own age had come, and was trying to sneak a peek inside. He did not remember exactly why, but the two of them had ended up fighting over something.

"The day I took Cyndaquil was the most exhilarating day of my life," Silver whispered, leaning back and letting his eyes wander to one of the paintings depicting a small mammal on fire, "I had always attributed that feeling of triumph to Pokémon, and that is why I chose to walk down the path of a trainer."

Lucario suddenly came to, realizing that the plate in front of him was empty. The food had been so tasty, he had actually left his being to relive his youth once more. Taking yet another gander at Silver, he realized the man before him looked an awful lot like that kid, both giving off the same annoying sense of self-worth. The man's dry voice and rapidly changing expression was enough to bring him back to full awareness.

"However, unlike you, training Pokémon never was my passion in life…" Silver continued as his eyes turned dark, the smile across his face broadening and becoming wry, "… It was stealing."

Silver picked up the glass of wine again and drank a bit, relishing in the taste and memories for a moment before continuing.

"Liberating such a powerful tool from that foolish Professor Elm who did not even attempt to make use of it…" Silver started before he trailer off, closing his eyes and shaking his head solemnly, "… I was quite smart, even as a child. With it I defeated gym leader after gym leader, simply because I could…"

"… Gym leader…?" Lucario repeated, wondering what on earth Silver was prattling on about. He felt like he had heard the term before, and his thoughts suddenly turned to Zerobi and Mew, remembering that he would have to escape soon so he could start searching for them.

Suddenly, Silver leaned forward, putting his elbows against the table as he stared. His intense lava-colored gaze bore deep into Lucario, who felt like his very self was being examined.

"I hope you hugged that Chica of your very tightly, Ethan," Silver said with a sinister yet strangely joyful expression, "It could very easily have been her I stole that day. Which path in life do you think she would have taken, then? Would she still have become a goody two-shoes like yourself… Or perhaps a hardened criminal like me?"

Shrugging instinctively, Lucario definitively knew he had heard the name Chica before. He did not think too hard about it, as the latter part of Silver's speech is what caught his attention the most.

"Criminal? You pride yourself with that title?" Lucario huffed with a disappointed sneer, "You need to steal from others because you can't handle things on your own? Yeah, that's really impressive."

"… Going by that look on your face, I assume that you have misunderstood," Silver replied as his voice turned a bit sharper, "Not a criminal in the common sense of the word, no… Far beyond that."

"What, a… A lawbreaker?" Lucario exclaimed with confusion, recognizing that he was not exactly much of a law-abiding citizen himself, if beating several police officers unconscious counts as anything.

"The code of the Giovanni…" Silver said solemnly before lifting up the bottle of wine next to him, "Prey upon those weak of mind, and manipulate them into doing your bidding. That way, you can bend the smart to your will through the sheer force of numbers alone."

Pouring the rest of the wine into his glass, Silver suddenly started snickering to himself. It was a very low-key, content laughter.

"Power, skill, intelligence…" Silver muttered as he looked Lucario dead in the eye while holding up his glass, "Everything is meaningless before a man who wields other men."

Unlike with Zoroark's explanations earlier, Lucario had trouble following Silver's logic. To him, the biggest regret he felt was when thinking of all the others that had worked hard and paid dearly to help him. What was the point of personal improvement if he ended up relying on others, anyway? What was the point of struggling if he could not change things for the better? What was the point of living?

"I have thousands under my command, and in case you have yet to notice, everyone bows to me… Unwittingly or not," Silver continued as he drank from his glass and smiled, "Even Red, the eternal champion of Pokémon is now my lapdog… Sure, in the past you defeated him in combat, but what did that get you? He captured you on my behalf, and now you are also under my control."

While he could not deny that Red had captured him, Lucario disagreed with the last part. He was unshackled, so technically he could be at Silver's throat in three seconds, making sure it never uttered another sound again. He still could not help but wonder why Silver seemed so comfortable, sitting unarmed in the same room as a wild Pokémon desperate to escape.

Silver suddenly began to snicker, wagging a finger as if he had read Lucario's mind once more. The man quickly calmed himself down and gave off a sigh.

"You are in my extravagant mansion… Eating my luxurious food…" Silver whispered quietly, "All because I made your greatest opponent follow my will… The will of the Giovanni, the most powerful man on earth."

Taking another sip of wine, he suddenly slammed the glass down on the table.

"Although we are rivals… And even though you may have bested me over and over again within the realms of Pokémon…" Silver admitted reluctantly before looking up and gazing at Lucario with a triumphant stare, "… In the game of life, the winner is me."

The words hung in the air for a moment, and at that time Lucario knew exactly why he had been brought here. Silver was showing off, proving that he was better off than some mangy Pokémon with neither food to eat nor a roof to sleep under. He could still not remember much of their alleged rivalry, but felt himself starting to hate Silver all over again, wanting to see how much of a winner the man would look like without any teeth left in his skull.

"… But that would be too much of an anti-climactic finish to a rivalry such as ours, no?" Silver said with an amused tone as he leaned forward, "Fear not. I think we both know how this would always end."

As if on cue, Silver suddenly rose from his seat. Adjusting his tie while trying to hide his excitement, he waved his hand towards Lucario.

"Eat your fill. After this dinner, we shall duel…" Silver said as his expression contorted into one of pure malevolence, "… And then, you shall die."

So what theese are some of the last chapters.

SILVER!
    Tht's certainly a big change from HGSS, where you team up to fight Lance and Clair, then he understands Ethan's strength!

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

Well this is definitely going to be an interesting duel, but how will they go about it? Surely not man vs pokemon? We all know how that went last time.

Keep up the good work, I rather enjoyed this whole exchange and look forward to more.

-Azurus

I have been reading this for quite some time and I absolutely love it, whenever I turn my laptop on I open this to see if a new chapter has been published. I've been a quiet reader but I felt the need to comment to show that there are more than about 5 people enjoying this, and more importantly if this isn't a cliffhanger I can't wait to see one! XD
    You are making progress if each mistake is a new one

"Worlds are lost, or worlds are saved, from those dangers dragon braved."

"Dragonmen must fly, when thread is in the sky."

So i was hunting for fics on Fanfiction.net and saw you posted Le New chap.
    Mighty fine cliffhanger, I will read it there if this isn't up when I check, however, I shall review here.
    Spoiler Below, can't get spoilers to work
    It can't be the end, can it? If it is, there are too many untied threads
    SPOILER ENDS!

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

So what theese are some of the last chapters.

SILVER!
    Tht's certainly a big change from HGSS, where you team up to fight Lance and Clair, then he understands Ethan's strength!
    Well, a lot has happened since the end of the games... Just look at Brendan! Besides, I have to wonder... Was Silver ever that much of a trainer? He kept losing to Ethan, couldn't defeat the Elite Four and went to mope at Dragon's Den for the rest of the game. Did he continue to try and care for his Pokemon like he implied, or did he revert to his nature as a cruel, spiteful and power-hungry individual? If Ethan abandoned all of his Pokemon eleven years ago... How would Silver react?

Well this is definitely going to be an interesting duel, but how will they go about it? Surely not man vs pokemon? We all know how that went last time.
    Lucario should really learn some of Deoxys' tricks. Exploding things with his mind and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by Absol 4ever View Post
    I have been reading this for quite some time and I absolutely love it, whenever I turn my laptop on I open this to see if a new chapter has been published. I've been a quiet reader but I felt the need to comment to show that there are more than about 5 people enjoying this, and more importantly if this isn't a cliffhanger I can't wait to see one! XD
    Man, a lot of readers sure like Absol... Too bad I didn't include one as a character! Nice to see you reply, I always like hearing what people think. I mean, it's not like I can read the story, so that's the only fun I get!

So i was hunting for fics on Fanfiction.net
    Hey, you can't read that! It's got, like, curse words, spelling errors and no pictures! And the background's white, not calming green like here!

Fine...
    I'll wait here, you are right though it is pratically a different story.

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

My background is a nice soothing black, perfect for creating a nice atmosphere for writing. (Changing the forum theme is awesome)

-Azurus

Chapter 62

Selfish Gunslinger Silver

The music slowly faded to nothingness. Lucario expected another generic classical piece to follow, but was met with only silence. Silence, and the thoughts of an offer he had definitively not expected.

"… A duel?" Lucario repeated as a sneer crossed his face, eyeing his rival carefully, "Fighting against some monster you trained is not what I'd refer to as a 'duel'!"

"Of course not," Silver replied before straightening his composure and gesturing for Lucario to stand up, "That is why we will be fighting the old fashioned way… Man to man."

Lucario's mouth opened, but quickly closed again. Silver still referring to him as a man was strange enough, but had his former rival gone so mad with power that he actually thought he could win in a brawl with a Pokémon?

"Pokémon is a game for children," Silver explained, noticing Lucario's addled reaction, "Do you honestly believe a man in my position has time for that? I stopped training Pokémon ages ago."

A moment passed as Silver waited for Lucario to do something. Even though he was still confused, Lucario decided to get up from his chair and walk away from the table. He hoped things would be easy for once, envisioning his rival whistling and summoning one or all of the legendary dogs to his side.

"Tell me… Do you know why was I given the position of Giovanni?" Silver asked, turning his face away slightly as his sinister grin grew wider, "My father was the previous Giovanni, true… But one is not given a prestigious title such as this through heritage alone."

Shrugging, Lucario thought back to what Zoroark had told him. Apparently she had not been right on the money with her assessment, something he would enjoy rubbing in her face later.

"I was given it out of fear," Silver said as he held up a hand with the palm wide open, "I do not require Pokémon to fight or kill. I destroy everything with my bare hands alone."

Lucario examined Silver with skeptic eyes. Fine clothing aside, the man had very little going for him, and in the muscle department he was actually rather lanky. Worrying that he might be carrying a knife or something, Lucario realized that he had spent the past month with someone who had six of those for hands, and she had been the least dangerous of his encounters.

"Fisticuffs? You against me?" Lucario asked while crossing his arms, starting to feel uncomfortable about the concept of beating up a weakling, "Are you serious?"

"… Well, perhaps not BARE hands…" Silver corrected himself, "Technology is the weapon of us humans, after all."

Lucario flinched as Silver reached into his inner pocket, thinking he was about to drag out a Pokéball. To his relief it was something completely different, something he had never seen before.

"Tell me… Do you know what this is?" Silver asked as he held up the object in his hand, which Lucario immediately deemed to be strangest contraption he had ever witnessed. It looked like a long, hollow pipe attached to a handle, vaguely shaped like a boomerang. The pipe section gleamed in silvery metal, while the handle was pitch black and seemed to have a leathery texture. Connecting the two sections was an elongated button, looking like some sort of trigger. As odd as it was, he could not help but feel that he had seen it somewhere before, thinking it must have something to do with Pokémon.

"It is a weapon of obscurity, something I liberated from one of my less fortunate targets and greatly improved upon," Silver explained while idly stroking the side of the object, "A cylindrical block, equipped with chambers for carrying projectiles… A barrel for accuracy, as to where the projectile will strike… And a hammer, striking the projectile with unimaginable force, strong enough to pierce even the toughest hides."

Lucario paid notice to every word, yet was unable to attribute any of it to the tiny little thing in Silver's hand. However, the whole thing still made him uneasy, since Silver would not be asking for a duel in the first place if he was simply faking its fighting capabilities.

"I suppose… If you have a major degree in engineering or happen to be as savvy with technology as the old Team Rocket executives, you might remember this being called a revolver," Silver muttered before picking off a strand of red hair that had gotten stuck inside the barrel, "Single-action, to be precise and thorough… And believe me, it is. I know. I built it."

"You… You seriously expect to fight me with that tiny little thing?" Lucario asked, the reality of the situation crawling up on him as his chin dropped further with each syllable, "I… I've fought monsters. Legendary monsters. Two seconds into this 'duel' and I will punch your head clean off!"

"I do believe there was a fragrance of concern in your voice, there…" Silver muttered while wagging a finger almost sheepishly, "Worry not. Choose whatever attack you may find suitable to finish me off."

Suddenly, the very same finger moved down to the trigger-like section of the revolver. There was a metallic clicking noise as Silver took a tight grip around the handle and pointed the muzzle directly towards Lucario.

"I do suggest, however…" Silver said confidently, "… That you make it extremely fast."

Conflicting emotions coursed through Lucario. As much as he wanted to sock it to Silver for threatening him with death, a punch with full force might actually kill the frail man. Much like the hunter he had faced, the idea of killing another human did not sit too well with him, and he had only done so back then in order to protect Zerobi. Even so, he had not forgotten how underestimating the hunter had led to him nearly losing everything as a result. The more he considered it, he realized he would rather end up killing a guy who was more or less asking for it than put himself at risk again.

"Go ahead… Attack…" Silver whispered quietly, his finger tapping the trigger impatiently. Deciding to go all out right from the start, Lucario breathed in as he charged the human with great speed.

An explosive bang sounded, so loud that Lucario immediately lost his breath and his sensitive ears began ringing. A force comparable to one of the Umbreon's tackles struck him in his right shoulder, making him involuntarily twist his torso as he took a step back. A very cold breeze passed through his shoulder, exactly like the time Suicune had pierced the exact same spot with an icicle. Then, the pain finally struck.

"G… GAAAHH!" Lucario howled as he clutched his right shoulder, now sporting a small hole of severed muscle tissue and damaged nerves. He looked at Silver with hate and fury, his confident rival opposing his expression with satisfaction and triumph. For an instant he felt his gag reflex kick in as the pain made him sick to his stomach, but the sensation disappeared as something else took its place. The picture book. The loud bang. The hole. It all pointed towards another memory that had nearly been forgotten, yet a memory that was not related to Pokémon at all.

"That's no… Revolver…!" Lucario growled as he felt warm blood trickle through his fingers, contrasting the chilled and aching insides of his shoulder, "… That's… A gun…!"

"Semantics, I assume?" Silver responded happily while waving the weapon around, his wrists still shaking a bit from the powerful recoil, "This is a revolver. I know. I built-"

"YOU SHOT ME!" Lucario burst out angrily, adrenaline pumping through him like never before. The pain was crippling, but it also served to fuel his rage. It was not as severe as what he had withstood against the Garchomp's fiery jaws, Raikou's thunder or even himself when failing to use the aura correctly, but still enough to make him swear thousands of curses upon the smug human and his little gun. The morality of punching Silver's head off no longer seemed important as Lucario lounged forward, roaring and running with all his might.

Silver pulled the trigger once more, realizing the danger and aiming at Lucario's head for a quick kill. However, as the revolver shook with the force of a hundred stampeding Tauros and the loud bang sounded again, Lucario's head immediately jerked downwards as a reflex, both his ears twitching violently. The bullet pierced through his left ear, only serving to make Lucario's constant roar even deeper. Understanding that his opponent's sensitive hearing would make the head a difficult target, Silver grit his teeth and aimed downwards, letting his finger squeeze the trigger. This shot hit Lucario squarely in his left kneecap, making his leg to limp as he began to fall. However, using the retained momentum and incomparable spite, he pushed himself up again with his right leg and flew towards Silver, who had no time to brace himself for impact.

Heavy as a rock, Lucario fell over Silver, easily bringing the human with him down to the floor. Noticing an explosive pain in his left ear and not able to make his left leg stop shaking, Lucario knew he would not be getting up any time soon. Taking the opportunity he had created, he grabbed a hold of the stunned Silver's hand and wrest the gun away from him. Throwing the revolver against the wall and then pulling back his left arm, he punched Silver right in the jaw.

"AH!" Silver exclaimed in pain as he flailed about, trying to get the violent Pokémon off him, "Stop!"

"Ooh, what's the matter?" Lucario said with a mocking tone, feeling like he wasn't able to put any real weight behind his blow due to his crippled shoulder and leg, "Big baby didn't expect to get hit? What's wrong, you gonna cry?

"You… Insolent…!" Silver grunted as he reached up and threw an uppercut against Lucario's chin, rattling his already shaken brain with even more pain. Lucario responded with an elbow to Silver's chest, making his rival lose his breath before kicking Lucario in the stomach, almost making him barf.

In an instant, all pretense of finesse was gone. Wrestling with each other on the ground, they were biting and scratching, punching and wailing, tussling and struggling. To a regular onlooker it would appear as a man being mauled by a wild Pokémon, but to them they were as children again, like two boys fighting over who was going to get to use the cool toy next. Memories of similar fights with Silver from his past flashed in and out of Lucario's head, yet he barely even noticed them in his flustered rage.

"Your mother is a harlot!" Silver screamed, taking a punch to the gut before lashing out and headbutting Lucario's nose.

"GAH! Your dad's a jerk!" Lucario snarled as he reared back from the blow, spitting a wad of blood in Silver's face.

"ARGH! At least I know who he is!" Silver yelled while wiping the slimy blood away from his eyes, "My father is better than yours!"

"Go ahead then, call for him!" Lucario shouted and started laughing a bit, "His rigid old butt would probably put up a better fight than you!"

He immediately stopped laughing as Silver mounted a mighty kick against his lame leg. The sudden spike in pain caused Lucario to howl and stagger, as Silver sat up and jammed his fingers deep into Lucario's shoulder wound. Screaming in pain, Lucario fell back as Silver rolled away towards where the revolver had been thrown.

Lucario fell on his back and was just about to get up when he noticed just how badly his leg had been damaged. He grunted in agony as the pain he had been able to ignore all this time came back in full force, amplified tenfold by Silver's last assault. His rage was quickly seeping out of him, replaced by a strange coldness emanating from his gunshot wounds. He noticed the heat all over him dissipating and suddenly felt feverish and weak, like he was going to suddenly puke his guts out before passing out.

Before he knew it, a hot and unyielding metallic object pressed up between his eyes. Looking up, he saw Silver glaring at him with pure rage.

"Wretched cur, know your place!" Silver bellowed, a trickle of blood running down the side of his snarling mouth, "I will flay you and use your hide as a carpet! That way, you shall lick my soles forever!"

Inhaling sharply, Lucario knew there was no hope for him to simply lie down and give up this time. Even so, he could do nothing but stare at Silver as the muzzle of the revolver pushed harder against him. His rival's hateful face suddenly gave off a delighted expression, and without another moment's hesitation, he pulled the trigger.

Well damn.

Silver's pretty spot-on with the translation of Ethan, that was pretty cool. I never really considered 'Silver' and 'Giovanni' as a title, that was also an interesting idea.

I see you managed to get time to write despite coming back to work. THIS, though, is definitely a cliffhanger.

Well, back to silent reading!

Check out the forum World Beyblade Organization! It's a huge forum with over 85,000 members dedicated to the hobby of Beyblading! You can sign up here!

Pokemon X Friend Code: 1091-8184-3378
    Steel Type: , , and

And Silver was out of bullets...

For a split second I thought they became friends again during their tussle due to the description, but then I realize you were just saying they were acting childish.

Looking forward to the conclusion, not much left to go.

-Azurus

Ow! thats gotta hurt >.<

If the story ends here, I'm gonna go on a noob fan rage.

And Silver was the True Antagonist. I love it when there is a fake antagonist but the true villain reveals him/herself at the very end. My favorite example is Zero from Kirby.
    Three most annoying things:

1. Metal Mario
    2. Arrogance
    3. Writer's Block

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast