Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Human Species (PG-13)

Quote Originally Posted by ShadedSkies View Post
    It's a bit different from what you had expected, no? Also, what's a PM list?
    It's a list of people whom you send PMs (private messages) to everytime a new chapter is up.

Anyway, i've been reading this fic for quite some time now, just never commented. I love how you throw a cliffhanger at the end of every chapter. And whenever the situation looks bleak for Lucario, he always manages to come through, but it's always believable. Anyway, If Lucario is going to die, I hope he goes down with all guns blazing, since he's the main character (and my favourite).

I'll be waiting for the next chapter. It'll be interesting to see what will happen between Zerobi and Zoroark. Anyway, I probably don't remember, but when did Zoroark learn that Weavile was the killer who killed all of Astrid's friends and family?
    Last edited by T-Bolt; 13th April 2013 at 4:55 AM.

Chapter 77

Perky Jester Gallade

Celebi trembled, but not from the cold of the blizzard whipping past her. Not from fear either, the stark landscape of caves and stones withholding far more creatures of the revolution than the eye could tell. Hovering next to her sister and sensing the arrival of her three best friends, one would think it was impossible for her to be shaking from anything but excitement at this moment. In truth, however, she was nervous beyond belief.

After leaving the Seafoam Islands, she had gone to Viridian Forest to pay visit to her old friend Pikablu. The aged mouse had greeted her with disturbing news, having found out about Zerobi's run as a serial killer, warning Celebi and seeing her head out with the intents of a confrontation. However, how would she be able to explain that although he had been right all along, the small legendary had chosen to forgive her sister? Pikablu had hunted down Celebi for contributing to a single unintentional death, and would most likely not be nearly as merciful to the murdering Weavile. Not wanting to repeat their violent battle from five years ago, Celebi knew she would have to lie, something she was apparently very bad at.

"So… How long until Lucario's fur grows back?" Zerobi asked, not nearly as nervous as her relative.

"Leave that for later," Celebi said in an attempt to bring Zerobi's mind back to the current situation, "You should focus on making a good impression on the trio. It would be terrible if they end up disliking you!"

"Right," Zerobi replied, thinking that she really couldn't care less, "How long?"

"… A week, at most…" Celebi reluctantly admitted while worrying that her sister was taking things too lightly, "Please think about that later and prepare yourself for the meeting at hand! Do not… Say anything unnecessary…"

"Well, you know them better than me, so I'll probably just stay quiet," Zerobi said with a shrug, "If they ask about it, just say I have bad breath or something."

Not that bad breath was anything Pokémon usually cared about, Zerobi thought. The only one who would complain about it was Lucario, and she was suddenly reminded of something important.

"Ah! Right!" she exclaimed while looking at Celebi, "Sis, you've got to grow more mints for Lucario!"

"Oh? So he did enjoy eating them!" Celebi responded cheerfully, glad to see her idea of human culinary techniques had not been entirely misguided.

"… Not really, but who cares?" Zerobi asked as she shrugged, "They're the only hopes I have of getting him to kiss me!"

Celebi fell quiet and looked away for a moment, surprised by her sister's bluntness. Although she was steadily getting used to the two of them being a couple, the real reason for her embarrassment was simply because no one had ever talked to her so openly about love before.

"But… Normally you kiss under the mistletoe, not mint," Celebi corrected her, remembering what she had learned while celebrating Christmas so many times.

"… Nothing normal about what I have to do to get kissed…" Zerobi muttered quietly, a foreign noise suddenly sounding by the mouth of the cave.

"Cell! Over here!" a happy voice shouted, and out in the blizzard both Zerobi and Celebi could see the tall and slender figure of a Gallade emerging, wearing a pair of sunglasses. Despite being caught outside in the middle of a fiercely cold storm he was completely untouched by the flurry, walking on top of the bed of snow since he was apparently light enough to not sink through.

"She can sense us… She already knows we are here…" a grumbling voice came from behind him, the short and hulking form of a Kabutops entering visual range. He seemed a little extra short today, having sunk into the whiteness but still seemed to be completely unhindered by the decimeter high snow attempting to hamper his progress.

Not far behind both of them came a Pikachu, who much like the Gallade being able to walk across the snow. Even so, he was completely covered by snowflakes, not capable of creating a miniature barrier like the psychic next to him. Moving out of the wind as he approached Celebi and Zerobi, he let a jolt of electricity run through his fur, whipping the tiny bits of snow over him into motion and splashing them against the cavern's walls.

"Celebi," Pikablu said as he respectfully bowed his head, before turning it towards the Weavile with surprise, "… Zerobi? Kabutops, that thing. Give it to me."

The Gallade and Kabutops both stared at Zerobi with bothered expressions, the latter suddenly raising his shoulders. Loosening up his body, he poked one of his scythes in behind his chest plating, a large piece of paper sticking out the other side. It had odd coloration due to being covered in purple mucus, the heat visibly dissipating due to the cold all around.

"Eeeeeewww!" the Gallade exclaimed with a disgusted expression at the sight of the dripping paper, "Don't tell me that's where you keep that contract I asked you to hold on to!?"

"No," Kabutops replied bluntly while throwing him a quick glare, "I threw that away as soon as I got it."

"What!?" the Gallade shouted out in shock, clutching the sides of his head with his long arms, "That's…! I mean, I've got copies at home, but now I can't show it off to everyone!"

Pikablu sighed as he watched his two companions bicker back and forth, suddenly jumping up to snatch the paper out of Kabutops' shell. While it was slimy and had a fairly unpleasant odor, he handled it carefully as he held it up in front of himself.

Zerobi grit her teeth and Celebi gasped as they saw what it was. In his hands Pikablu held a large flyer with a picture of a Weavile on it, wearing a menacing expression with claws visible in hostility. Zerobi recognized the background setting as Snowpoint City, realizing that someone must have managed to take a photo of her during the turmoil, most likely when she and Lucario were busy escaping. Beneath the picture was a message in clear, powerful lettering.

SERIAL KILLER AT LARGE, SKILLFUL AT HIDING
    MAY BE ACCOMPANIED BY STRONG LUCARIO
    Client: POLICE
    Objective: ARREST ZEROBI
    Place: NORTHERN KANTO
    Restrictions: NONE
    Difficulty: S
    Reward: 10,000 P

"There's a pissed police officer hammering these up all over town," Pikablu said snidely as he held the picture closer towards Zerobi, "Look familiar?"

Zerobi swallowed hard, seeing her own face on a wanted poster. She realized her days of wandering around town in a cloak to pick up her subscription of occult magazines had come to an end before she even knew it. Lost on what to say, Celebi hovered in front of her and pushed aside the paper to look Pikablu directly in the face.

"Calm yourself, Pikablu," Celebi said sternly, "Zerobi and I have already discussed her past. Things are not as bad as neither you nor the police assume, and there is nothing for you to worry about."

"… Obviously, seeing how you two're still together…" Pikablu muttered while looking at Zerobi with disdain, "I'm going to need some details."

"No," Celebi insisted without batting an eye, "It is within a past she has no intention of revisiting. Trust me."

"… But…!" Pikablu exclaimed in irritation at being told off, "She's wanted by the police, damn it!"

"So is Celebi," Kabutops pointed out with a shrug, "And so were you."

Pikablu frowned, suddenly realizing that he was the only sane being in the vicinity. A nail's length away from smacking both Kabutops and Celebi in the face, he instead closed his eyes and breathed in deeply. He was reminded of the time he had first met Celebi, when she had lamented over her lost sister. They were finally reunited, and Pikablu was starting to think that maybe it was not his place to ruin whatever they had going. After all, if he had gotten to see his little brother again he wouldn't have cared about anything else.

"Fine…" he groaned while shaking his head in disapproval before pointing accusingly at Celebi, "… But you are never allowed to lecture me on morality again!"

Celebi sighed out, feeling the tension in the room thin out. So did apparently the Gallade as well, who started laughing.

"Haha! Well, I for one am glad to see that Zerobi is as innocent as she is beautiful!" the Gallade said with a smooth voice as he clapped his elongated hands together, "But if you're worried about your reputation, you could always hang out with someone like me! The tabloids would love you! What d'you think?"

"… Fine by me…" Kabutops said quietly before leaning in closer to Zerobi and whispering, "… Just make sure he dies painfully…"

However, Zerobi did not hear either of them, her mind clouded by newfound worries. Pikablu looked at her while feeling a bit restless to not have been given any explanation to her past, wondering if he could really trust Celebi's sometimes questionable and always otherworldly judgment.

"Pikablu, that police officer…" Zerobi suddenly asked with a bothered expression, "What kind of Pokémon was it?"

"… A Snivy," Pikablu replied quietly while scratching his nose, "Looked grumpy as all hell. Shitty day at the job I'm guessing, using a hammer with those tiny arms."

"Did…" Zerobi started in an attempt to push her luck a little further, "Was there an Eevee anywhere nearby? Maybe an Eeveelution?"

The members of the legendary trio looked at each other, searching for any signs of recognition.

"Like, when we left…?" the Gallade muttered as Pikablu's ears suddenly perked up slightly.

"Oh yeah! The fat one!" Pikablu burst out as he remembered. The Gallade continued looking at him for a moment before suddenly cracking up, turning his head away in an attempt to stifle a laughter.

"… 'Fat', he says…" Kabutops said slowly, a very faint snicker echoing inside his shell.

"Hahaha! Ah, the naivety of youth!" the Gallade laughed and held his arms out, pointing jokingly at Pikablu, "Couldn't you see that the Eevee was clearly pregnant?"

The Gallade continued laughing heartily, hoping everyone else would join him. Although Kabutops was clearly amused and Celebi was able to suppress her giggle at the last second, Zerobi's face was one of utter shock and surprise.

"Hey! Screw you!" Pikablu shouted in an attempt to hide his embarrassment, "Unlike you, I don't like to think of little girls in that way!"

"Oh, right," the Gallade snapped back with a big smile, "Is it because she didn't have any mandibles?"

"Alright, that does it!" Pikablu growled and clenched his fists, absolutely not willing to tolerate lip form someone as ridiculously flamboyant as the Gallade. Kabutops sighed as Celebi gasped.

"Whoa whoa, calm down!" the Gallade shouted in response while backing off and waving his arms back and forth, "Remember! Think positive!"

Feeling his muscles clench involuntarily in annoyance, Pikablu simultaneously felt the anger seep out of him at the Gallade's last statement. For reasons unknown to anyone but him and his two allies, he cracked a smile.

After that they continued to chat excitedly over all that had happened, Celebi glad to finally have a few interesting events of her own to share. Arguing heatedly about old pointless issues while occasionally laughing it up over long forgotten times, it was no wonder neither the legendary trio nor Celebi noticed Zerobi slipping away. Staggering quietly through a rocky corridor, she sought emptiness in order to be given some privacy with her own thoughts. Eventually she found a narrow passageway leading into a hollowed out section of the mountain. Where others would see a dead end, she saw a chance to be left alone. Walking into a corner and placing her back against the cool, hard surface, she exhaled a breath she had not realized she was holding in.

"… Pregnant…?" Zerobi whispered to herself, the words sounding as unreal coming out of her mouth as they did swirling around in her head. It did not feel right, and slowly she came to the realization that while she had basically been frozen in time the better half of this past decade, those around her had long since carried on with their lives.

A heavy feeling came upon her heart as she thought of Eve, a deep sucking sensation of regret in her chest. She remembered all the years of fun they had together, proclaiming to be best friends forever long before even coming up with the concept of Evolution's Gate. Imagining the same friend laying on the ground somewhere, the terrible Snivy pounding her and filling her womb with a child made Zerobi wince and blush fiercely. She shook her head and brought her mind to more pleasant matters, namely the fact that despite all the lives she ruined, at least her best friend was able to acquire a happy ending. More than anything she wanted to go congratulate Eve and let her know of her own remorse, to give the soon-to-be mother some closure and peace of mind.

Her plans were put on ice however, as a dampened knocking sound alerted her that she was no longer alone. Heart aching both from grief and shock, she spun around to see a dark, thin Pokémon leaning by the exit.

"Hello, Zerobi," Zoroark said with a menacing tone, "You and I are going to have a little talk."

"… Yeah?" Zerobi replied while recomposing herself, not wanting to appear easily intimidated, "About what?"

"About your plan to murder us, of course," Zoroark said bluntly. Zerobi tried to make her expression as devoid of concern as possible, but it was difficult as she stared into Zoroark's probing set of glaring eyes. Quickly she tried to figure out just how much Zoroark knew, and how easily she could get off the hook by bluffing.

Zoroark eyed Zerobi carefully, looking for any kind of reaction. Bloodthirsty as the Weavile was, Zoroark believed herself to have an edge should push come to shove, and could at least incapacitate her with a dose of stun spore. In truth, she would much rather prefer to use poison powder to put an end to Zerobi as quickly as possible, but knew the Weavile to be far more difficult to kill than one would assume. As Connor had showed her, incapacitation had proven to be far more effective.

"See, in the early days of the revolution, I came across a very peculiar being…" Zoroark explained as she crossed her arms and leaned up against a wall, "Astrid was his name. Does it ring a bell?"

Zerobi felt her teeth unintentionally grind together. Even though her own endeavors were well-publicized, Astrid was not someone anyone outside of evolution's gate would know of. She had assumed to have scared him off for good, imagining him running wildly around the Cerulean Cave forever. Was Zoroark trying to trick her?

"K…" Zerobi stammered before swallowing hard, "… Kabutops' wife…?"

Zoroark stared at her with a piercing gaze. Her smile and kind features were all but gone.

"By playing dumb, you are only making me more suspicious," Zoroark said with a sharp tone to her voice, "I think one would remember spending a few years with the only rock-eeveelution to ever have lived."

"… H-Have lived?" Zerobi suddenly stuttered, not being able to help herself. Zoroark took note of her flustered expression before closing her eyes.

"Yes. Unfortunately, he died a most untimely death…" she whispered before opening her eyes and once again with a fierce glare, "… But not before he told me an awful lot about you, Zerobi. Some things I think he was the only one to know about."

A chill ran through Zerobi. Not at the prospect of Astrid no longer finding himself among the living, but rather that Zoroark was so well-informed on the subject of her. Realizing that playing dumb was pointless and deciding to make sure she wasn't playing directly into Zoroark's hands, she decided to add some new information into the conversation.

"You're wrong," Zerobi said bluntly while slowly shaking her head, "That's not the case anymore. I've already told Lucario and Celebi everything."

"Oh, but I don't think you have," Zoroark replied quickly as she uncrossed her arms and pointed towards Zerobi, "The fact that they forgave you is enough proof."

Zerobi did not know how to retort, actually equally surprised that she had been forgiven after all she had done. Zoroark examined her carefully as she decided to push her own personal theory on the matter a little further.

"I wonder… How does a kind, harmless student turn into a ruthless killer from a simple blood transfusion?" Zoroark asked before giving off a strained shrug, "The short answer is… She doesn't."

Their eyes locked together once more, a bitter fight raging between them with both on edge and ready to strike at any moment.

"You may have fooled the rest into believing that you were controlled by some strange force, that your actions were not your own…" Zoroark growled accusingly as she felt her temper rise, but suddenly decided to calm herself down, "… But tricking me will not be as easy. You knew what you were doing. You were always in control of your own actions and could have stopped had you wanted to."

Yet another chill ran through Zerobi, but this time it was not as merciful. She felt it run through every inch of her being as she could not stop herself from trembling. Her deepest fear, a secret kept from everyone including herself in one last attempt to save her own sanity was coming to light once more.

"No!" Zerobi yelled with desperation, refusing to accept what she deep down knew to be the truth, "I never hurt anyone before the blood set in, and I haven't done anything since it ran out!"

"Is that because you hate killing… Or simply because you fear the consequences of it?" Zoroark continued and knew she had struck a nerve, the Weavile's expression turning more and more frantic with each syllable, "Should I give you the opportunity to get away with it, you will strike… And it is not because you cannot help it, but rather because our blood is worth more to you than our lives. Admit it!"

"No, you…!" Zerobi growled and instinctively raised her claws, "You know nothing! Nothing of what I've gone through! I would rather DIE than succumb to my bloodlust once more!"

Breathing heavily, Zerobi saw Zoroark looking at her with a disappointed expression. Zerobi looked down and noticed that she had subconsciously brought out her threatening claws and hastily lowered them. Even so, Zoroark continued to look unimpressed.

"I hope you mean that…" Zoroark said with a menacing tone, "… Because if as much as a drop touches you… I will not hesitate in killing you myself."

Raising her own claws and grinding them together slightly, Zoroark could not help but feel like the villain in the scenario as a terrified expression crawled up on Zerobi's face. It annoyed her a little, wondering what manner of naďve and careless fool would have acted differently.

"Consider that the extent of my mercy…" Zoroark sighed as she put her claws away by crossing her arms once more, "… Do not think too badly of me. What choice do I have? You have the potential to become the most dangerous being in the world, and you have shown the ambitions to pursue that. Should I risk the death of millions just because you tell me that things are different? That you've changed?"

Zerobi felt a moment of reprieve in the constant onslaught of accusations, Zoroark's tone taking a gentler form as the revolutionary finally admitted the cause of her worries. Zerobi sighed out, suddenly not as intimidated by the fellow Dark-type.

"I don't know how to convince you otherwise… But if a man like you really wants to understand a girl like me…" Zerobi said bitterly, unaware of Zoroark's true gender, "Try killing your friends. All of them, especially those you like. Get melted down by acid and live in seclusion for seven years with no company aside from endless nightmares, and THEN ask yourself if you think it was worth it."

Fed up with indictments and still annoyed to have been so rudely interrupted from her own musings, Zerobi stormed towards the exit. Half expecting to be attacked, she passed by Zoroark with no intervention whatsoever and entered the passage unhindered. Leaving the sanctuary where so many of Zerobi's thoughts had swirled around, the emptiness was soon replaced by Zoroark's contemplations. Watching the back of the Weavile disappear from sight, she sighed and looked up at the ceiling.

"Friends, huh…?" Zoroark whispered and closed her eyes. A weight lifted from her consciousness, realizing that Zerobi seemed to be in control at least for the time being. Although important, Zoroark knew she was only delaying the inevitable by handling the easy tasks first. Soon she would find herself back at her makeshift desk, struggling to figure out a successful strategy for the army she had amassed. She soon made her way out of the room as well, hoping no one would be able to see the uncertainty she was keeping within.
    Last edited by ShadedSkies; 8th April 2013 at 5:39 PM.
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    Year 4-7: Forever Legendary [img]http://i52.*******.com/16a5hc2.png[/img]
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Year 10: The Human Species [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/34zypdx.png[/IMG]
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Wow... nice. I now feel like an idiot for believing the blood magic.
    Also, it's okay, you don't have to make a pm list.
    You have the potential to become the most dangerous being in the world
    But... didn't she get killed 2 times...

Nice cliffhanger!

Plot Twist? Was Darkarai the reason for Zerobi's Vampirism, or is it entirely intentional? Is Zoroark planning something big? WILL EVE'S BABY BE NAMED BEN OR BENNY? 2 of these will be answered, next timeihope.

Other than that, no first-run-visible grammar mistakes (my specialty) and great chapter overall. And seriously, will Eve's baby be named Ben, or Benny. I have to know! XP
    Three most annoying things:

1. Metal Mario
    2. Arrogance
    3. Writer's Block

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    Anyway, If Lucario is going to die, I hope he goes down with all guns blazing, since he's the main character (and my favourite).
    Yeah, there's no way he'll go down quietly. Just look at that outburst when Suicune held him up!

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bolt View Post
    Anyway, I probably don't remember, but when did Zoroark learn that Weavile was the killer who killed all of Astrid's friends and family?
    Before she was introduced in the story, for sure. Zerobi's a notorious killer so it's not weird that Zoroark knows about that, but the strange thing is how she managed to run into Astrid. Too bad he died before giving us the full story!

Quote Originally Posted by joey1234 View Post
    Wow... nice. I now feel like an idiot for believing the blood magic.
    It's getting pretty complicated, for sure. Was Zerobi in control of her actions? Is she simply fooling herself by believing that she has found redemption through love, pretending to be in some kind of romantic fairytale? Hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by JFought View Post
    Plot Twist? Was Darkarai the reason for Zerobi's Vampirism, or is it entirely intentional? Is Zoroark planning something big? WILL EVE'S BABY BE NAMED BEN OR BENNY? 2 of these will be answered, next timeihope.

Other than that, no first-run-visible grammar mistakes (my specialty) and great chapter overall. And seriously, will Eve's baby be named Ben, or Benny. I have to know! XP
    I think she'd get teased with an odd name like that! They'll probably give her a much more common name, like Timburr or Cofagrigus! Can't make fun of someone with a regular name like Beheeyem, can you?

But if they had to choose, I'd say Eve wants Ben (three letters) while Snivy wants Benny (five letters, ends with a 'y')
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Chapter 78

Restless
    (Epilogue of Episode XII)

Night had fallen. Amidst a torrent of loud snoring and mild wheezes laid a bothered Lucario, completely sleepless. Having difficulties in finding peace while on an uncomfortable bed of rocks, he stared as a pair of purple balloons snorted in their sleep, each exhale filling the air with a foul-smelling fog. Not much further away was what Lucario could most accurately describe as a pile of brown hair with tusks sticking out of it, tainting the room with yet another rancid odor while also sawing wood like a thunderstorm. He had never been around this many Pokémon before, always finding sleep out in the open wilderness. Realizing he would never, ever get any rest in this kind of atmosphere, he muttered as he got up and walked away, hoping to find a better place to spend the night.

After a short walk to a place where his only companions were rock and stone, he found a decent enough spot where he sat down and leaned up against a wall. However, even though he was quite tired he was still having trouble falling asleep. There was an unfamiliar sensation all over his body, and unlike the rowdy Pokémon in the other room, this he knew he would not be escaping from.

Examining his body he was pleased to see that his fur was coming back rather quickly. Only problem was that for some reason, different patches of hair were growing back at different speeds. Celebi suggested it was because of the massive beatings he had taken over the past few years, damaging the hair cells and shunting their growth. As a result, the hair that had grown back was relentlessly tickling the parts with naked skin as if mocking them for being so weak, and he constantly felt both hot and cold in different areas of his body. Despite all of this he struggled as hard as he could to fall asleep, but to no avail.

As he desperately tried to still his thoughts, he was suddenly made aware of a faint noise. A small, yet largely annoying scratching sound was emanating from somewhere deep inside the cavern. Eager for yet another excuse to not have to lie still and wait for sleep that would not come, Lucario got up and followed the sound. Despite the labyrinth-like structure of the cave's passages, with his acute hearing he had no trouble detecting the origin of the noise, finally finding himself inside a small and surprisingly well-lit room.

At the source of the scratching he saw Zoroark sitting on a soft cushion in front of a desk-like rock, slightly hunching over something. Although he sure she should have noticed his arrival, she seemed to be too absorbed into what she was doing as Lucario moved nearer to get a closer look. On the sleet stone she sat next to laid an open notebook, a bottle of ink and a couple of feathers, some of them worn out at the tip. Lucario marveled at the sight of a creature with claws writing at an unexpectedly quick pace, keeping a steady grip around the pen-like feather with her spiky fingers. An expression of disdain crossed Zoroark's face as she stopped writing and held the vellum in front of her, finally noticing that he was standing there.

"Lucario?" Zoroark whispered as she looked up from the parchment with a frown, "Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

"Shouldn't you?" Lucario responded quickly, and Zoroark sighed audibly as she put down her work.

"I am a Dark-type. We are active during the night," she tried to explain.

"… And during the day too, if I'm not mistaken?" Lucario continued, having seen both Zerobi and Zoroark alert during daytime. Only difference was, one of them was sleeping tight while the other one was currently looking at him with a very bothered expression, obviously wishing he would just go away.

"What do you want? There is work to be done," Zoroark muttered with an annoyed tone as she shooed him with her hand, "Consider me permanently busy. As such, stop bugging me."

"Just curious. Do you sleep, like, ever?" Lucario asked with an inquisitive look and a short snicker, "I bet you're hiding fifty million bags under your eyes with some kind of illusion."

Zoroark groaned to herself, well aware she should not have underestimated Lucario's persistence. Short on lies and quite worn out from the seemingly endless work, she realized that Lucario already knew a whole lot of secrets about her, assuming one more wouldn't hurt.

"… Fine. I suffer from insomnia," Zoroark admitted as she leaned back in her chair with a tired expression, "Can't be helped. It lets me stay alert and get an awful lot of work done, so it's not all bad."

Lucario titled his head slightly, surprised to hear her admitting something like that out of nowhere. He wondered if it was him or rather her lack of sleep responsible for breaking her down.

"So… You're just never going to sleep again?" Lucario asked as he crossed his arms, not really sure about what to say. Of course, he was having trouble sleeping too… But that was mostly a side effect caused by his irregular hair growth and irregular bedroom partners.

"Oh, no… I should be collapsing from exhaustion in two or three days," Zoroark explained as she looked up and stared longingly at the ceiling, "Hopefully. My performance plummets after too long, and I begin to hallucinate. I have to figure out a strategy for our assault before then."

"… You have two legendaries on your side, as well as a whole battalion of strong Pokémon," Lucario said while thinking of Mew's and Celebi's overwhelming power, "Do you REALLY need a strategy?"

Zoroark decided not to give a response this time. Although her own morale was steadily waning, she knew there was no point in telling Lucario of the ruthless opposition they were facing. She wondered how he would react if she were to say that despite having come up with nearly a hundred different strategies involving the nearly limitless potential of both the overly powerful legendaries, they all ended up with everyone being defeated, captured and the virus being deployed.

"Why don't we take a walk?" Lucario suggested as he saw a concerned expression form over Zoroark's face, "Might help you relax."

Zoroark continued looking up at the ceiling a few more moments before turning her gaze towards Lucario, a sneer across her face.

"A walk," Zoroark repeated mockingly, "And to think, all this time… After millions of various attempts and thousands of medicines… The cure for the greatest issue in my life was but a simple walk. How come I never thought of that before?"

"Hey, don't knock it 'til you've tried it," Lucario pointed out confidently, "I was able to cure Celebi of insomnia in one night."

The sneer quickly vanished from Zoroark's face, replaced with one of surprise.

"… Really? How?" Zoroark asked with a newborn voice of sheer curiosity. Lucario imagined himself squeezing her tight while convincing her that it was part of the technique only moments before getting a knee to the groin, deciding against even trying.

"I, uh…" Lucario muttered while involuntarily wincing, "… Don't think that particular method's going to work with you. Let's start with a walk."

Although she looked disappointed at first, Zoroark eventually gave off another sigh and got up from her cushion. The two of them left the workroom with Zoroark taking the lead, explaining that the cave system they were currently in was like a maze that went on for miles. It kept them from being detected as an organized group of Pokémon, but getting lost in the frozen wastes was just as easy. After her explanation, Zoroark fell quiet with a sudden display of awareness.

"… Did you just coerce me into giving you a guided tour?" Zoroark muttered accusingly while giving a sideways glance towards Lucario.

"Maybe," he replied with a shrug, "This place is a lot cozier than I had expected."

Compared to the dank underground near Saffron City and the busy streets of No Man's Land, Lucario could not deny the charm of the area he was currently in. The caves were faintly formed out as houses with rooms, the passages between them giving way to the outside and letting fresh air seep through the otherwise stale atmosphere. Sensing several strong auras in the vicinity, the whole thing felt a little like a fortress, well defended and safe.

"Hmm… It just occurred to me that we have yet to do this formally…" Zoroark suddenly said, breaking him out of his chain of thoughts, "Lucario, will you help us claim and destroy the virus before it comes to fruition?"

"Uh… Sure, but…" Lucario replied as he scratched the back of his head, "I'm sensing quite a few strong auras all around. You sure you need another brawler like me?"

"Do not worry, I have a more important role in mind for you," Zoroark said with a sinister smile showing itself. Lucario tried to ignore it, but felt a little worried as to what the future held in store for him. Focusing more carefully on the auras, he was disappointed that there weren't anything familiar about them. There were actually two revolutionaries he had hoped to meet up with.

"Oh yeah… Where's Connor and Astrid?" Lucario asked curiously. The smile on Zoroark's face faded almost instantly, realizing she had yet to break the news to him. She felt reluctant in doing so, rather enjoying the quiet and peaceful walk they were having, wondering if maybe her duties as a leader could come in second for once. However, it was not her duties as a leader, but her duties to her dead comrade that finally convinced her to go through with it.

"Connor has trouble traveling long distances, and is staying behind to fortify our defenses back home…" Zoroark whispered, deciding to get the lighter side of things out of the way first, "… Astrid… Perished during a raid of No Man's Land…"

It took Lucario a few moments to stop, his steps growing continuously heavier and slower until he was barely moving at all. The so-called frightening vision of the extremely cute eeveelution crossed his mind for a moment, Astrid's worried yet very talkative demeanor bringing about a sense of nostalgia. Even though it had annoyed him in the past, Lucario now wished he had gotten to hear the small thing speak some more.

"Raid…?" Lucario repeated as his mouth dried up, "How many…?"

"Very few have died since the creation of No Man's Land," Zoroark explained while lowering her head, "Astrid… He chose to bravely face the enemy head on. I doubt they intended to kill him, they just wanted to move him aside… And it went too far…"

Hearing the words "brave" and "Astrid" in the same sentence sounded wrong to Lucario. A bitter sensation crawled up on him, remembering how he had instructed the small Rock-type to be manlier and face adversities without backing down.

"… Damn it…!" Lucario growled as he clenched his fists, suddenly feeling guilty. Astrid had followed his advice and gotten himself killed as a result. Zoroark looked at Lucario, surprised that he even knew about Astrid. Wondering if Zerobi maybe had told Lucario everything about Evolution's Gate after all, she suddenly remembered having seen both him and Astrid talking about something in the underground base beneath Saffron City. Seeing the devastation apparent on Lucario's face, she decided to drop her inquisition and instead gave him a pat on the back in comfort.

"Wh-What the…!?" Lucario burst out in shock as he took a step back, Zoroark slowly realizing that his devastation was caused by neither her touch nor the memory of Astrid. Looking down at the ground, she saw a purple mist leaking out of the rocky floor. Her fears of the cavern filling up with poison gas faded quickly as she noticed a familiar set of red eyes suddenly rising out of the floor.

"Good evening," Zoroark said quietly, welcoming the end of all privacy with a faint smile. Following the eyes, the rest of the creature's body rose up from its tomb of stones, gracefully and without leaving any sign of its passage through solid rock.

"Good evening," a deep, disembodied voice replied as the apparition's mouth came into view. Lucario watched as the purple haze grew until he could make out the monster's feet hovering out of the soil, before silently setting down on the same area they had just effortlessly gone through. Although the scene was bizarre, something about this creature was urgently tugging at his mind.

"Ah! You!" Lucario suddenly exclaimed, recognizing the Gengar he had found drinking back in No Man's Land. The terrifying being's eyes had gone back to being icy cool, but Lucario remembered his outburst all too well and no longer wondered as to why he had been so frightened only moments earlier. The Gengar stared at him silently before looking at Zoroark with a not-so interested expression.

"The reputation of your hauntings is so severe that people are too afraid to partake in the stash of booze we found," Zoroark told the Gengar with a calm voice before nodding in appreciation, "Keep up the good work."

The Ghost-type nodded back, suddenly beginning to sink back into the ground. Lucario was surprised by the unexpected guest leaving as quickly as he had appeared. Taking the moment into action, Lucario knew that while he had many things to ask, most of them could be summarized into a single question

"What are you?" Lucario asked with a bewildered expression. Expecting the Gengar to continue sinking out of view and out of his life forever, the Ghost-type instead brought himself to a stop. His torso was halfway submerged in the cavern's floor as he looked up at Lucario.

"See for yourself, kid," he spoke quietly, before suddenly lounging up at Lucario from the ground. Lucario staggered backwards and held his hands in front in an attempt to defend as the Ghost-type came upon him. Expecting a collision, all he saw was the Gengar continuing his approach as he continued moving unhindered, Lucario's arms sinking into the purple haze surrounding his body. A stifled gasp sounded as Lucario felt his arms caressed by a thick, formless gas and he was met with the Gengar's eyes at point blank range, only moments before those very eyes melted straight through his own. Something like millions upon millions of tiny fleas crawling over his body shook Lucario as he froze up, feeling his body invaded from every direction and through every pore.

Zoroark watched as the Gengar walked through Lucario, somewhat glad to not be in his position. Her body possessed secrets, most of which could only properly defend against the naked eye. The Gengar reformed behind Lucario, the normally grumpy old bastard seemingly pleased with himself as he continued his trek downwards, disappearing into the ground and away from sight. Zoroark felt a bit annoyed by the ghost's hasty leave, realizing that she would have to be the one to explain everything once Lucario came back to his senses.

"S-Spectre…!" Lucario stammered with vocal cords that just moments ago had been touched by an unearthly force, "H-He ran r-right through me!"

A sigh escaped Zoroark's lips, amazed by her own precognitive abilities. She was at least glad Lucario's curiosities were directed at the Ghost-type and not their stash of alcohol, because the last thing she needed was for him to be drunk when he had so much learning to do.

"Ghost-types have a very strange ability, which is why we do not simply refer to them as Gas-types," Zoroark said, knowing that if Lucario had no idea what a Fighting-type was he definitively did not know about something as advanced as this, "Due to their… Non-solid body structure, they can break and scatter their bodies into very small components without dying."

"Of course!" Lucario replied loudly as his body was beginning to return to normal, pushing away the feelings left behind by the unwelcome visitor, "… Ghosts can't die!"

"I believe that you are missing the point," Zoroark explained slowly in an attempt to calm him down, "What they do is break up their bodies to such an extent that only microscopical particles remain. Such miniscule pieces can easily slip through seemingly solid matter, which is why they can move through walls and other objects low in atomic density. Because of this, I hear they dislike Platinum."

"Ah," Lucario exclaimed in realization, saddened by getting a logical explanation instead of a creepy ghost story, "It's… A bit boring when you explain it like that."

"Just be glad you have yet to fight a Ghost-type," Zoroark said bluntly as she watched Lucario, glad to see that he had settled down so quickly, "Punches, kicks, slashes and anything done by solid matter will have no effect. I have a natural advantage, but as they hardly have any weaknesses they would be quite troublesome for someone like you…"

She was then made aware that Lucario was no longer listening, instead looking over his body with a concerned expression, obviously trying to distinguish if the Gengar's harmless attack had affected him in any way. Sighing for what seemed like her fiftieth time this night, Zoroark began walking again as Lucario followed. She was beginning to realize how difficult it would have to be to re-learn everything about Pokémon. For someone as clueless about the dangers of the world as Lucario to be wandering around, she knew it was nothing short of a miracle that he still had both his life and freedom in possession.

A quiet smile suddenly formed over Zoroark's face. Having read the reports on each of Lucario's battles, she knew there was neither luck nor miracles involved. Lucario was strong, persistent and most importantly, had very powerful friends who cared about him. For a fighter like him to be taken down for good, luck and miracles would have to be with his opponent. Admiring his beneficial position in life, she wondered if Lucario even realized this. Did he know that even if he were to lose and get captured, someone like herself or one of the legendaries would come to rescue him? Could that be the reason for him constantly sticking his neck out, because he knew himself to ultimately be untouchable?

Zoroark felt her line of thinking get out of hand. Lucario was facing mortal danger just as often as capture, and no helpful urges on anyone's part would change the outcome of death. Again she could not help but wonder why Lucario bothered doing anything. He had told her that his reason to keep on living was simply because he disliked dying… But if that truly was the case, why did he constantly set himself down the path of danger? For a man concerned with only survival, it would be far safer to hide oneself as his companion Zerobi had done for so long. Perhaps he was incapable of sitting still? If so, what did he have in mind for when the battle was over? Bothered by how much she was thinking of Lucario when she could be thinking of more important things, she decided to ask him straight out.

"Say, Lucario… What are your plans for when this is all over?" Zoroark asked curiously, "As to say… When you are no longer needed?"

Lucario shrugged as he kept on walking.

"I don't have any plans…" Lucario answered earnestly, wondering what was really expected of a human-made-Pokémon like himself, "… But I wasn't really doing anything before this all went down, so I'll think of something. You?"

"Well… I still have No Man's Land to take care of," Zoroark replied quickly as if having anticipated the question, "But soon enough, it will be able to sustain itself whether I am there or not. At that time, I shall retire."

"… You mean, permanent vacation? Go relax on a beach somewhere?" Lucario asked as he thought of what would qualify as retirement for a being with neither job nor home, "… Get a family and settle down?"

Giving off a quick chortle, Zoroark imagined herself in the many unlikely scenarios. It suddenly occurred to her that despite having figured out a lot of her personal secrets, Lucario really knew very little about her. As tempting as it was to reveal everything, she knew there was still one secret about her that she could absolutely not let anyone know of.

Agonizing memories began to crawl up on her and wipe away her cheerful expression as she was suddenly reminded as to why she was here, or rather why she even existed at this moment. She sternly told herself that if she had time for leisure, then she had time to bring prosperity to her goals. Converting her peace of mind into determination, she hastily regained her will to keep on working.

"I need to get back to work," Zoroark said as she stopped and turned around, signaling her departure to Lucario. He looked disappointed but eventually nodded, completely unaware of her reasoning.

"Alright, keep working for that retirement!" Lucario said in an attempt to understand her motives. Again, Zoroark smiled. If only he knew the truth.

"Haha, Lucario… We are rather similar, you and I…" Zoroark snickered while shaking her head, "… But it seems that there is one major difference that will always separate us."

"Oh? What's that?" Lucario asked and wondered if she was referring to her gender again. Instead, Zoroark fully turned her back away from him and spoke with total clarity.

"Trauma," she said before walking forward, soon disappearing within the darkness of the cave. Lucario stood and wondered what she had meant, but was beginning to feel drowsiness come over him and affecting his reasoning. Yawning loudly while realizing this was as good a place to sleep as any, he lay down on the rocky ground and closed his eyes.

"That looks really uncomfortable," a familiar voice sounded, Lucario wondering why Zoroark had returned after such a cool departure. Opening his eyes, he suddenly realized that it was not her at all, but another very familiar aura-less being.

"You don't HAVE to sleep on rocks, you know," Zerobi said as she looked down at him, one of her fangs poking through her smile and gleaming slightly in the moonlight, "I'm pretty sure even the soil outside would make a better bed."

"… Too cold…" Lucario muttered, too tired to explain their difference in body temperatures again. Even so, he could not help but notice that something was different about Zerobi, and before he even had time to ask she held up one of her claws in a stopping gesture.

"I tried mixing one of those weird plants you like with some berries," Zerobi muttered while making an odd sound in her voice, "Didn't, uh, go down too well."

"Heh. Told you berries are bad," Lucario chuckled, diverting the blame of his precious mint towards the loathsome berries. Zerobi snickered for a moment before her face suddenly became serious.

"I heard you talking to Zoroark," she said with a stern tone.

"Yeah," Lucario replied and felt a bit annoyed over the fact that he was unable to sense her aura. Between her and Zoroark's ability to become invisible, he was pretty much guaranteed to never be sure that he was actually having privacy. Zerobi looked behind, making sure no one was listening in on their conversation before leaning in closer to Lucario's ear.

"… You honestly think we can trust him?" she whispered with a concerned expression. Not sure on how to answer, Lucario simply sighed and thought to himself for a while.

"Listen… Once you've shared a cage with a guy, you get to know a few things about him," Lucario started, aware that one of those things was that the guy was never a guy to begin with, "Don't worry, I understand the way he thinks. He's cool."

"But… Do you think Zoroark will trust us?" Zerobi continued nervously. She obviously had some beef with Zoroark, but he could not think of what it was.

"Sure," Lucario replied bluntly, swallowing before lowering his voice to a whisper, "Mostly just guessing here, but… I think I'm the closest thing he has to a friend."

This brought a reaction out of Zerobi, the Dark-type flinching with a flustered expression.

"A-A friend?" she stammered before scrounging her face into one of complete confusion, "What… Makes you think that?"

"Uh…" Lucario muttered as he thought of what to say, "Well, every time we meet it's like he starts gushing out all he's been thinking about, all his secrets and everything. I don't think he does that with anyone else… I don't think he has anyone else he can talk to openly…"

Finding it difficult to explain things without revealing too much about Zoroark's true nature, Lucario tried to feign a yawn. He did not have to work hard, the yawn becoming progressively more natural as it slipped out of him. He really wanted to go to sleep.

"Can we do this tomorrow?" Lucario groaned as he laid his head back again and closed his eyes, "I'm… Really tired…"

"… Of course," Zerobi replied in an unusually calm manner, suddenly sounding a little unsure of herself, "Um… Good night?"

She looked down as Lucario gave no reply, obviously halfway on the road to dreamland already. Feeling jealousy creep up on her once more, she began to walk away while thinking of what he had just said. As she continued down the passage and out of his sight, her body began to change. Her chest shrunk back as the rest of her upper body elongated, claws transforming from scythes to spikes as her red hair grew longer. Where Zerobi had stood now was Zoroark, releasing her illusion and ending her impersonation with a quiet sigh.

"… Friend, huh…?" Zoroark whispered to herself. She felt people were throwing that particular word around an awful lot lately. Knowing she was not about to get any sleep anyway, she headed back to her workplace with somewhat lighter steps than before.

YES, first reply to a chapter twice in a row!
    Anyways,
    That was great! I can't exactly find a grammer/spelling mistake, but I don't look for them. Nice job setting up for the bang.

"Uh…" Lucario muttered as he thought of what to say, "Well, every time we meet it's like he starts gushing out all he's been thinking about, all his secrets and everything. I don't think he does that with anyone else… I don't think he has anyone else he can talk to openly…"
    Hmm... is Zorark looking for competition?

Chapter is obviously a filler chapter, though we do get a hint towards Zoroark's past. I didn't find any mistakes either.

1. Metal Mario
    2. Arrogance
    3. Writer's Block

Hmm... is Zorark looking for competition?
    Competition? How?

Chapter is obviously a filler chapter, though we do get a hint towards Zoroark's past. I didn't find any mistakes either.
    No filler chapters in this story, I'm waaaaaay too lazy to write anything that's not utterly vital to the plot! In fact, this chapter is probably the most important one in the whole episode. Nothing compared to the next episode however, it's going to be a long one...

As in competition, I mean like 2 girls trying to get one guy, but I can see that i'm wrong. Also, a word of advise, you do really well creating chapters such as Helplessness.

As in competition, I mean like 2 girls trying to get one guy, but I can see that i'm wrong. Also, a word of advise, you do really well creating chapters such as Helplessness.
    Glad you like it! I've gotten criticism saying that Zerobi was too melodramatic, but that's actually been a part of her personality ever since Evo's Gate.

Chapter 79

Deceptive Spider Spinarak

Mew wandered awkwardly across the ceiling of the cave, trying her best not to stumble over one of her many legs. No matter how many times she transformed, she always found herself having a hard time getting used to not being able to float. As much as she wanted to shed her disguise and speed towards her destination, it simply would not do to be seen by the countless revolutionaries roaming about the area. While Celebi had already gained slight amounts of notoriety due to her antics together with the legendary trio, Mew definitively wanted to let her own existence remain a legend.

There was really no need for her to be going where she was going. Zoroark had summoned her and several others for a strategy meeting later that afternoon, but she was definitively more than a few hours too early in her arrival. In truth, she was feeling slightly inadequate as of late. Legendaries had many duties to fulfill in order to help the world flourish, nearly all of which she had ignored in favor of moving her own agendas. In an attempt to sate her conscience and idle hands, she would have to confront Zoroark once more in private. Thinking that the third time's the charm, she hoped this encounter would not end with either of them in mortal peril.

Mew was able to hear Zoroark before actually seeing him, the Dark-type practicing her speech for the big meeting later. Where others had seen but a simple Spinarak going about its daily business of loafing about, Mew had managed to sneak all the way to their leader's chambers completely undetected. She could easily have remained quiet and eavesdropped to find out more about what the meeting had in store for them, but thought that to be quite rude. Longing to be set free from the body of a spider and having to watch the world from an upside down perspective, Mew reverted to her original form and entered the cave Zoroark stood in. The revolutionary immediately stopped her rehearsal and looked at her with surprise.

"Mew?" Zoroark exclaimed with a bit of a hoarse throat, instantly erasing her shock and activating her most cordial behavior, "What brings you here? The strategy meeting is not until sundown."

"Pardon me… But do you have a moment?" Mew asked with a regal yet humble tone, wanting to get off on the right foot for once.

Zoroark sighed. Between her 'discussion' with Zerobi and stroll with Lucario, she felt like she was being tugged further and further away from what she should really be focusing on. After all, none of this would matter if the virus ended up killing everyone.

"Sure," Zoroark replied while swallowing down her pride, knowing better than to refuse a legendary. She had a feeling her only options were to agree or continue the conversation a hundred feet up in the air.

"What species of Pokémon are you?" Mew asked bluntly. It was not a regular question in any way, as whatever Zoroark chose to say would define the answer for generations to come. She was the only known example of her species, and Mew felt it was only right that she would be the one to name it.

"… A Zoroark," Zoroark muttered quietly, not wanting to make things overly complicated, "I was born a Zorua, and evolved into this form."

Mew pondered her statement for a moment. There were millions upon millions of subspecies among Pokémon, and only those notably different from the rest are recognized as independent species. She wondered what genetic mutation could have caused something as unique as a Zorua to spring forth, deciding to excavate her lineage for clues.

"Are there any others like you out there?" Mew continued asking, keeping her tone gentle and calm, "Do you have any relatives?"

Zoroark froze up for a moment. Slowly, she lowered her head.

"No…" she replied solemnly before regaining composure, "My parents are dead, and they were neither Zorua nor Zoroark."

"… I am sorry to hear that," Mew responded sincerely, feeling like she might have dug a little too deep. As much as she needed Zoroark focused on dealing with the lethal virus, she knew she would get scolded by Giratina and Lugia for not fulfilling her duties as a legendary and could not free up her mind until she had gotten this particular meeting over with. Gathering her courage, she decided to speak unhindered.

"Zoroark. You are the only one of your species," Mew said with a touch of curiosity, "What actions are you taking towards preserving your legacy?"

"… A revolution is a good start, no?" Zoroark replied while faking a smile, getting a hint of where the conversation was heading.

"I am referring to your… Biological legacy," Mew clarified, although she was certain the sharp revolutionary had figured that out by now and decided to keep pushing, "All you need is a single offspring, and the world shall be enriched by many more generations of both Zorua and Zoroark."

"Doubtful. I am male, after all," Zoroark lied with a confident shrug, "You are familiar with the rules for Pokémon breeding, no? What are the odds of my child being a Zorua?"

"Quite big," Mew responded quickly, "Seeing how you are, in fact, female."

Zoroark's expression dropped as she stared at Mew. In her mind, she swiftly rearranged a certain Fighting-type's role in their planned assault, hoping he would not mind handling extremely dangerous situations.

"Lucario told you?" Zoroark growled menacingly, feeling very betrayed and cursing herself for being so lenient with her secrets.

"No. You hide your characteristics well, but your chromosomes do not lie," Mew explained before wondering how Lucario had managed to figure out Zoroark's gender before she did, "But… Lucario knows? How?"

Zoroark looked at her with a surprised expression, before suddenly sighing out in relief and redacting her earlier planned punishment. Although freaked out that Mew was able to actually see her chromosomes, she was unable to bring her illusions down to microscopic levels and would not have bothered trying even if she had known. The problem was not that Mew knew the truth, but rather that Zoroark once more found herself faced with the big question.

"Please," Mew begged as she lowered her head in a sign of respect, "If you refuse, your species will go extinct. You will be the last Zoroark to ever exist."

"… Perhaps that is for the best…" Zoroark mumbled while thinking back to her past, not wishing to bring anyone to life that might suffer the same horrid fate.

"Certainly not!" Mew insisted, "You are part of the gift of nature that we are preparing for the future generations! If you truly wish to change the world for the better…"

She fell quiet as she realized she was becoming forceful again. Embarrassment rose as she was beginning to think that spending so much time with the headstrong Lucario had a negative effect on her usually gentle behavior. Zoroark held up a hand, gesturing for her to stay quiet.

"Do I look like I have time to be carrying a baby?" Zoroark pointed out with a hint of anger, "Not to mention having to reveal that I am female and did, in fact, lie to everyone. Do you not think it would be bad if my followers' faith was to waver at this crucial hour? Let me handle my own affairs, or there will be no future generations!"

Zoroark and Mew stared at each other for a moment, their meeting once more taking a turn towards a battle of wills. However, before things could escalate Mew decided to withdraw, closing her eyes and nodding in submission.

"I understand," Mew said quietly, "Then, stay safe until this is all over. I shall protect you to the best of my abilities until the time that you feel you are ready. Never forget the important role you have in this world."

With that, the legendary took her leave. Zoroark had to sit down for a while, wondering what difference it would make to Mew or anyone else if her species went extinct. She was getting a bit grumpy over the fact that all her efforts, struggling and triumphs paled next to the importance of her getting knocked up. Annoyed but eager to get back to work, she picked up her paper and began rehearsing once more. It would not be long, now.

- - - - - - - - - -

"Left?" Zerobi asked curiously, looking down the splitting passage.

"Left," Lucario confirmed as the two of them continued walking. The sun was setting, and he could sense the aura of many strong beings converging. Zoroark had summoned the so-called "top-brass" for a special strategy meeting before the rest of the troops, an exclusive club which apparently both he and Zerobi were a part of. He kept up a brave display, but was getting really nervous about the whole situation, not only due to the virus that threatened to kill them all but also the fact that he had no idea what they were up against. If Zoroark's earlier reaction was anything to go by, even with their overwhelming forces it would not be an easy task.

Zerobi was also nervous, but for a different reason. The fact that Zoroark had decided to allow her entry into this important strategy meeting when the shrewd leader obviously did not trust her sent an alarm signal through her head, thinking the fellow Dark-type was planning on assigning her a suicide mission or something of similar nature. Zerobi and Lucario's thoughts eventually blended into one another's, imagining some huge monster with many teeth eating them for lunch.

"Whoa! Look at all those cool scars!" a cheerful voice sounded behind them, making both Lucario and Zerobi jump. Swiftly turning around, they saw the Gallade standing there, a big smile on his face.

"D-Don't sneak up on people like that!" Lucario shouted, all too aware that the Gallade was hiding his aura for that express purpose, "Where're the other two?"

"Dunno. Probably went ahead without me," the Gallade said while yawning, "Gotta get some of that spotlight before I show up and steal it, I suppose. But, hey!"

The Gallade suddenly reached his hands towards Zerobi, obviously looking to give her a friendly pat. The sight of her mouth and claws twitching angrily made him halt himself in the last second.

"The movie we made premiers in just a few weeks!" the Gallade chimed happily while pointing at Zerobi and then Lucario, "You're in it, and you're in it too! I named it 'Pokémon of the Sunset'! Pretty cool, huh?"

"So, you think sis went before us?" Zerobi asked Lucario, resuming their walk and completely ignoring the Gallade.

"Can't sense her," Lucario replied, trying to ignore the Gallade but had a feeling that a spikeless Lucario must be a really common sight on the big screen by now. The three of them kept walking until they reached Zoroark's workplace, the area quite a bit brighter than Lucario remembered. Behind her desk like usual was Zoroark, chatting casually with Pikablu. Her long red hair seemed to be a little more well-kept this time around, like she was trying to appear more inspiring than usual. Appearances were deceptive as Lucario wondered what manner of poison vials and explosives she kept beneath the innocent-looking locks. Pikablu looked the same as always, a short and rugged beaver-like creature with the voice and attitude of a wild bear. Although easy to make fun of, both Zerobi and Lucario had learned to respect the violent rat after having witnessed him knock out a legendary the size of a mountain in a single hit, and would prefer to stay on his good side no matter what.

Sitting next to Pikablu like a statue was Kabutops, blending in well with the rocky background. Lucario at first thought Kabuta had come to visit, but noticed a distinctive difference in both height and aura. Before he had time to examine the old creature any further, he noticed that something was subtly pulling at his shorts. Looking down, he saw the Whimsicott standing by the entryway, having moved forward to greet the new arrivals but ended up getting completely ignored.

"Mr. Lucario! Mr. Gallade!" he said with excitement when he realized they were looking at him, Zerobi's gaze suddenly making him tremble slightly, "M-Ms… Z-Zerobi…"

"Oh, give it a rest," Zerobi muttered as she walked in, tired of being treated like a ghastly apparition by Pokémon she was fairly certain she had never wronged before. The Gallade whistled quietly in amazement as he followed her, Lucario carefully examining the room to make sure he wouldn't accidentally sit down on a particularly small and stone-like Pokémon.

"Lucario, Zerobi, you can come sit with-" Pikablu said before noticing the Gallade, seeing him walk directly up to Zoroark and rudely interrupt their conversation, "Damn it, you led him straight to us!"

"Welc-" Zoroark started when the Gallade suddenly gave her a pat on the shoulder, causing her to trail off in surprise.

"Ah, the star of the evening!" he chimed confidently, "Give us a good show, and don't be afraid to ask if you want me up there on stage with you!"

"Eh…" Zoroark stammered but quickly regained her composure, "… I can handle things on my own."

"Hahaha! Of course you can!" the Gallade laughed, seemingly a bit disappointed to miss out on his chance to show off, "But hey, since you're pushing this revolution and looking to get your message out to the people… How about starring in my next movie? You'll get attention, fame and, of course, more women than you can handle!"

"Sorry. I am a bad actor," Zoroark lied to such an extent that Lucario choked on his own spit in surprise, starting to cough violently.

"… Hey, you trying to infect the whole troop with that?" Pikablu growled at Lucario, not appreciating the display with the looming threat of a deadly virus nearby. The fact that there even was a strategy meeting was getting on his nerves, wanting it to end as quickly as possible so he could go and electrify whoever was responsible. Between fighting insane cults, despicable criminals and innocent legendaries, he felt he could handle some labcoat eggheads just fine even without a plan.

"So…" Kabutops started as he gave Lucario a dirty look, "… Has the 'human' realized his true identity yet?"

"… Huh? Yeah…" Lucario answered while looking at Kabutops, the ancient Pokémon seemingly a bit healthier than during their last meeting, probably due to not having gotten beaten and captured just prior, "Turns out I'm actually Ethan, transported into the body of a Pokémon."

"… Of course…" Kabutops replied quietly, sounding less than convinced. The skeptical look on Pikablu's face told him his buddy was feeling the same.

"Hey, where's Kabuta?" Lucario asked curiously, having associated the legendary trio with her rather than her father all this time.

"… As far away from here as physically possible," Kabutops replied bluntly.

"Oh… Arm's still growing back, eh?" Lucario asked, to which Kabutops only gave him silence. Her arm was healing just fine, and he wondered why Lucario would think it strange that he did not wish for his daughter to be present in what was probably the most dangerous spot in the world. It had not been easy getting her to stay home, but he knew she would thank him for it later, especially considering her recent entry into puberty. The absolutely last thing Kabutops wanted to do was entrust his precious legacy to a bonehead like Lucario.

A few minutes passed as the group caught up with one another, sharing stories about their recent mishaps and adventures. The Whimsicott listened eagerly as Lucario told everyone of how he had defeated Torana, Pikablu equally eager in pointing out that he could've taken her, too. Kabutops zoned out as the Gallade shared his take on why he was so amazingly popular yet still incredibly smart, and Zerobi found herself not ignoring the flamboyant psychic for the first time in her life. Zoroark purposely stayed out of the conversations, taking one last moment to go over everything she was about to say. She did want to tempt fate by chatting with Lucario in this friendly atmosphere, thinking him likely to be spilling his guts about her by accident.

Everyone suddenly fell quiet as the atmosphere in the room took a drastic turn. The excited air dissipated into tranquility, and everyone immediately knew why. By the entrance to the hall hovered two beings, their combined aura strong enough to shatter the greatest mountain, yet gentle enough to melt even the hardiest hearts. Mew felt uncomfortable as a dozen amazed eyes fell upon her, whereas Celebi was getting rather used to it by now. She stuck by her friend as they floated inside the room which by now was practically overflowing with nervosity from each occupant.

"Hey, what's up? You two haven't missed a thing," Lucario said casually, not even a little awestruck by the two living legends in front of him. Kabutops and Zoroark both felt the urge to smack him over the head for not showing proper respect, but calmed themselves as Mew suddenly broke into a smile.

"Comforting to know," she answered happily, grateful for Lucario's intervention to help lighten up the heavy mood.

"Yo, Cell," Pikablu chimed, not wanting to be outdone by Lucario, pointing next to him where Zerobi was sitting, "Saved a seat for you and your sis."

"… Thank you?" Celebi replied with dismay, realizing she would now have to be sitting instead of floating like she usually did. Setting down between Zerobi and Pikablu, her friend Mew preferred to stay airborne as she hovered in between Zerobi and Lucario. As everyone had settled down, Zoroark could not help but be a bit amazed at the group she had amassed. Legendaries, legendary-wannabes, a human in the shape of a Pokémon and a murderer. The fact that these creatures were meant to work together gave her second thoughts about her plan, and took the moment into action before doubt would cloud her mind.

"Now that we are all gathered…" Zoroark spoke clearly as she stood up, "… Let the strategy meeting commence."

3rd in a row!

Great chapter. Did Lucario ever find out that he was talking to Zoroark? Mew can see in cronological level? Creepy... AND YOU LEFT Us on a cliffhanger. grrr...

Chapter 80

Final Peaceful Day

The Whimsicott stood guard by the entrance, signaling Zoroark that no one was eavesdropping. With deep sigh, she decided to start the meeting.

"I trust you are all already aware of the nature of the virus we are facing?" Zoroark asked. A few oblivious looks were exchanged among the small crowd.

"I know it'll kill us," Pikablu said with a shrug, "I guess detail would be nice."

"The new Pokérus virus exists in endospores, and as such cannot be detected, destroyed or avoided by any known means," Mew began to explain before Zoroark had the chance, "It infects both humans and Pokémon, but will only attack bacteria found inside of us Pokémon. The new bacteria exchanges genes from its plasmids with other bacteria, mutating into factories for three proteins that are harmless on their own but will rapidly attempt to combine to a lethal formula."

"… I believe what Pikablu wished to know was…" Kabutops suddenly chimed in with his usual depressing tone, "… How will it kill us?"

In an instant everyone's full attention was focused upon Mew, eagerly awaiting her answer. She was wondering whether to actually tell them seeing how it would probably not boost morale, but thought they should at least know what they were up against.

"… Respiratory collapse, most likely," Mew answered quietly, "There may be boils and tissue destruction, but as necrosis activates and your nervous system shuts down it should not cause any more pain than the alternative."

"You're damn right, I'm nervous!" Lucario exclaimed while feeling a knot tie up in his stomach, "Let's go destroy the virus already, can't wait to NOT have to worry about this any longer."

A murmur of agreement followed, the occupants starting to wonder why they had not done so already. Gradually, eyes begun to turn towards Zoroark.

"Yes, I suppose it is time for me to reveal the location of the virus…" Zoroark said slowly while digging around her area for something, "… As well as the lab where so many Pokémon were tormented…"

"Wait, let me guess…" Zerobi interrupted as a sudden thought hit her, "Pokémon Stadium?"

Zoroark looked at her with surprise for a moment. With a swift gesture, she brought forward a large map from behind her desk-like rock and placed it down on the ground.

"Indeed. Underneath the abandoned dome of Pokémon Stadium lies a secret laboratory," Zoroark explained while pushing one of her claws against a circled spot on the map, "Most likely an attempt to get some 'privacy'… And it explains why it was closed to the public in the first place."

"Not closed enough… Especially not to Brendan…" Lucario muttered before turning his head away from the map and towards Zerobi, "Wait, how did you know about this?"

"Huh? I told you when we got there, that I could sense blood in the air," Zerobi replied while wondering if Lucario had forgotten, "Figured it was from all the fighting, but then I thought… Why would there be fresh blood in an abandoned stadium? I mean, now there is, but BEFORE Torana and all that…"

Lucario had no recollection of Zerobi ever saying anything about blood, but also remembered zoning out around that time. He worried over what else he might have missed and hoped none of it would come back to bite him later on.

"I must say, you VERY NEARLY ruined the entire operation by heading there prematurely," Zoroark continued with a stern tone as she glared on both Lucario and Zerobi, suddenly easing up just as quickly, "But I assume it was not exactly your choice. My spies tell me the scientists were a bit shook up by your rumble with Torana, but luckily have not chosen to relocate."

Silence followed as everyone took a moment to examine the map. At first it looked rather shoddy to Lucario with a bunch of footprints all over, until he realized it had been translated into pawprint.

Suddenly, Pikablu rose up. Without warning, he turned around and began to walk away.

"Pikablu?" Zoroark exclaimed with a surprised voice, the yellow rodent turning around to face her.

"Underneath Pokémon Stadium, right?" he said as he held up a hand with all four of his fingers outstretched, "Give me… Four hours. I'll have this thing wrapped up before breakfast."

"Nice!" the Gallade whistled while clapping his hands, "A round of applause for Pikabro, redefining manliness like always!"

Pikablu looked at the Gallade with an annoyed expression as Zoroark stepped away from her desk to confront him.

"Do not be so hasty!" Zoroark said loudly, trying her best not to act too harshly, "You will not succeed without a proper strategy!"

"Sure I can," Pikablu snorted cockily, "What've they got? A legendary? Two legendaries? We've got three."

"And they have something FAR worse," Zoroark responded while realizing she was being forced to reveal the gravity of their situation earlier than expected, "Do you think I would have gathered everyone here today if our opposition was but a simple legendary? No… All of our problems can easily be summarized into two colors…"

Moving back from Pikablu and sitting down by her desk again, she gave a moment of pause for impact.

"Red…" Zoroark said clearly with an expression of dismay, "… And Blue."

A quenched gasp was heard from Lucario as Zerobi felt herself grow colder, and not in the usual good way. The Gallade's smile froze into a panic as Pikablu grit his teeth together.

"They have chosen to support the virus!?" Celebi exclaimed, appalled that people so familiar with Pokémon willingly support their total destruction. Zoroark looked at her with a calming expression.

"No. They know nothing about it or the secret laboratory, and believe they are only there to protect the Stadium from rowdy Pokémon," Zoroark explained before breathing in deeply, "The liaison we sent out to inform them was quickly captured, and it seems unlikely that any other would fare better."

Everyone fell quiet as they worked on comprehending the current situation. Pikablu slowly made his way back to the others, sitting down and staring at the map again. He saw that the Gallade was still taken by shock, while Kabutops seemed as unfazed as always.

"Well…" Zerobi suddenly whispered, breaking the silence, "… It's not like we have to hold back, right? Tons of lives are at stake here. If we all attack at the same time…"

Zoroark closed her eyes and shook her head.

"These are the two strongest trainers in the world with access to a nearly limitless amount of Pokémon, and quite frankly…" she said before giving off a bothered sigh, "Even with all our resources, we do not stand a chance against either of them. Unless, of course, the omnipotence of you legendaries is not overstated…?"

Zoroark was looking expectantly at Mew and Celebi, a sight the two legendaries were rather accustomed to. It was the sight that expected everything and anything from them, as if they could recreate the entire world with a snap of their fingers, when in truth neither of them could snap their oddly formed fingers even if their lives depended on it.

Mew had remained calm throughout the conversation, but noticed that Celebi was taking the news rather hard. She had recently been captured by a trainer after all, and was definitively not eager to put herself in harm's way any time soon. Sticking up for her friend, Mew met Zoroark's gaze.

"No," Mew said reluctantly, "Although legendary, we are still just Pokémon. Against several powerful enemies, even we may lose and be captured."

"H-Hey, now. Really?" the Gallade suddenly said with an unusually shaky voice, "We've got Pikabro, Cells AND Mewsy on our side! Just bumrush the place, we'll stroll in right behind you and pick up the pieces of what's left!"

"Trainers are very dangerous foes…" Kabutops muttered as he gazed sternly at the Gallade, "They carry a team of six Pokémon, built to counter any threat… Pokéballs, which can potentially end the battle in a single hit… Healing items, eliminating the viability of status effects and making their Pokémon nearly impossible to bring down…"

"We could always just, you know, attack the trainers themselves," Zerobi suggested, stuck in the mindset that everything was allowed since so many lives were at stake. Instead, all she got was a reprimanding look from Lucario.

"I'm pretty sure that'd be good reason for them to start open warfare," Lucario replied, seeing an appreciative expression from Mew in the corner of his eye.

"… And a virus created to wipe out all Pokémon isn't!?" Pikablu suddenly burst out with rage, thinking Lucario was so deluded in his fantasies of being human that he would defend humanity no matter what. Before long the argument was in full swing, Pikablu and Lucario shouting angrily at each other. The rest of the legendary trio were quick in backing up Pikablu while Zerobi went with supporting Lucario's point of view. Mew and Celebi watched them, trying to interject but finding their voices too weak to break it up.

It was then that a screech filled the room.

"People! Please, calm down!" the Whimsicott shouted with all his might, "Zoroark has been working on it day and night, and has without any doubt constructed a brilliant strategy for defeating both Red and Blue!"

Everyone fell quiet as they stared at the tiny piece of fluff, their gazes quickly turning towards Zoroark. The Dark-type tensed up at the sudden attention, having come to realize just how difficult it was to take charge of this rowdy crowd.

"Well… No," was all she could say as disappointment filled the room, the Whimsicott's face falling in despair.

She knew this was it. All the planning, all the repetition had been leading up to this moment. This is what would make or break her legitimacy as a leader. It had to be done.

"Red and Blue were both geniuses by the time they were ten years old, and have only grown wiser since… In truth, not one of us is even nearly as experienced as they are when it comes to Pokémon battles," Zoroark spoke with a clear voice as she looked at Lucario, for the first time sorely wishing the experienced Ethan had been sitting there instead, "No matter what strategy, plan or trickery we could come up with, I am certain they would see through it in a second and immediately counter."

"Then what can we do?" Lucario asked, still a bit riled up from his debate with Pikablu. Zoroark closed her eyes as she smiled.

"Simple… We will not be using any strategies," Zoroark said confidently, "Just like wild Pokémon, we attack them head on."

Sighs of disappointment filled the room, but Lucario felt a tinge of hope as Zoroark continued her confident charade.

"See, there really is no need for us to defeat either of them," Zoroark elaborated her plan with a certain mischievous glint in her eyes, "If we can just keep them occupied in battle while a smaller team slips past them undetected, we can take the virus and make a run for it."

"Keep them… Occupied…?" Kabutops repeated with a dull tone, before fastening a set of judgmental eyes upon the Dark-type, "… I understand that you have faith in your followers, but you greatly underestimate the champions if you think your ragtag gang of rebels can do anything against their ilk…"

"Indeed," Zoroark replied quickly, "Even a hundred Pokémon at above average strength would get wiped out in half a second by Raikou and whichever powerhouse Blue decided to bring. And if we bring out an army, they'll grow suspicious and know it's an organized attack, probably sending for reinforcements… No, what we need are powerful individuals."

"Ah!" Lucario exclaimed, remembering what she had said about having a special role in mind for him, "Like, I'm flattered and all, but if I have to go up against Red again I think I'll end up with some pretty serious afflictions. I'm still jittery from the last time!"

"Don't worry - You're on the stealth team," Zoroark assured him before exchanging looks with Mew, Celebi and Pikablu, "To be honest, there are only three Pokémon in this cavern able to stall enemies as fearsome as Red and Blue…"

As Zoroark's plan was starting to take form and finally make sense, Pikablu could not help but feel his earlier disappointment in the revolutionary leader disappearing. Instead, at the sound of a certain other Pokémon's name, a flame was beginning to ignite in his chest. Although the current mission was dire, it was forced to give way to a far older desire of his, one that he had nursed inside of him for decades.

"Dibs on Raikou," Pikablu said with a smile perched precariously on his lips.

"… How is fighting thunder with thunder a good idea?" Kabutops immediately interjected, before getting interrupted by the Gallade.

"Hey, hey! Don't talk like that!" the Gallade chimed while tapping his forehead, "Remember! Gotta think positive!"

"Shut up," Pikablu muttered, so very tired of the eager dancer constantly trying to give away his new trump card. Almost wishing he hadn't told him about it, he thought back to the past when things weren't so bad between them. Roaming the earth in search for legendaries, driven by his desires of becoming one himself… The instant he had seen Celebi he had switched his goals and wished for nothing more than revenge, but his will to become a legend had never reached its conclusion.

"Raikou's the legendary of thunder… If I beat him, that title's mine," Pikablu said out loud in order to inform everyone else of his intentions, exchanging a look with Celebi. The small legendary recognized the dangerous glint in his eyes, suddenly feeling a bit uncomfortable to be sharing the same room as the man who tried to kill her.

"And I'll film it, so the public knows who's boss!" the Gallade added happily, and for the first time in years he was given an appreciative nod from his old friend. Kabutops saw it unnecessary to say anything, his two partners already knowing he would follow them anywhere and drag them out of the fray if push came to shove.

"That works," Zoroark said while giving the Whimsicott a signal with her hand, the small Pokémon beginning to write down something on a parchment, "And since we have no idea which Pokémon Blue might use… It would be nice for that team to be skilled in utility. Mew? Celebi?"

The two legendaries turned their heads towards each other, deciding on who one to go. By exchanging only a single look, they were able to come to a conclusion.

"Both of us will fight him," Celebi said determinately.

"We are both legendaries, so it would not seem like an organized attack even if we were to be seen together," Mew continued with a confident flick of her tail, "I assume our presence would help to draw attention away from the other squads?"

An awkward silence filled the room. Suddenly, the Gallade burst out laughing.

"Hahaha! Wouldn't wanna be Blue!" he said with a smile, imagining the overkill of being forced to fight the two most powerful legendaries in the world at the same time. Lucario thought the same thing, remembering that even he and Rukario had been enough to defeat Blue. He wondered how his self-proclaimed ex-wife was doing, and wondered if there was any way for him to contact Blue about her without ending up in another fight.

"That also works," Zoroark said while giving another signal to the Whimsicott, the wooly Pokémon already hard at work with writing, "Now, for the team that moves in to retrieve the virus… A speedy, stealthy squad…"

Zoroark threw a glance around the room, as if deciding right then and there on whom to pick.

"It will consist of me… Lucario…" she said before adding a tint of bitterness to her voice, "… And Zerobi."

The change in tone did not go unnoticed by Zerobi, who was both shocked and worried. But before she even had time to formulate a sentence in protest, Zoroark decided to explain herself.

"I know, but it can't be helped," Zoroark said as everyone else looked between them in confusion, "Too much is at stake. You and I are the only Dark-types here, and only our presence cannot be sensed by Psychic-types… Besides, I would assume that you know a thing or two about staying hidden."

"And me?" Lucario asked quickly, still worried that he was about to get another shock treatment from Red and Raikou.

"You can hide your aura, and…" Zoroark started before giving pause as a difficult thought struck her, "… Our team will be heading deep into uncharted territory, and there is no telling what we might encounter. If we end up caught by a sudden torrent of Pokéballs, someone needs to be there to bail us out… Or carry on the mission, if need be."

Lucario scratched the back of his head, imagining himself wading through a sea of Pokéballs while carrying Zoroark and Zerobi on his shoulders. Standing up, Zoroark looked over the small crowd one last time.

"That is all," she said, "Brendan has left his post but may rejoin Red and Blue before long, so time is of the utmost importance. Work on the details of your strategies, and we shall discuss them in the early morning's sun. Tomorrow, after nightfall… We strike."

"Uh, yeah, we don't have a strategy," Lucario replied with a shrug while Zerobi slowly shook her head, "We'll just tag along with you."

"Hmpf… A fight with Raikou…" Pikablu mumbled as he crossed his arms, wondering if there was still a chance for him to become a true legend after all.

"Alright! The legendary trio's back in business!" the Gallade cheered while patting Pikablu on the head, "And don't worry, after the epic battle that's sure to happen, I'll teleport your broken body to a Pokécenter!"

"… His body is the least likely to break…" Kabutops muttered, wondering why they always had to pick fights with legendaries he had an elemental weakness to. Looking over at Celebi, he saw that she and Mew were already in deep conversation regarding their upcoming battle.

"A Baton Pass tag-team?" Celebi asked her friend, only somewhat familiar to the basics of Pokémon battle.

"Why not combine our forces?" Mew suggested, thinking that a unique strategy only they could pull off would disorient even a veteran trainer, "Synchronize to inflict various status effects and then heal ourselves through Natural Cure?"

"Excellent!" Celebi exclaimed while immideately moving on with the plan, "After that, I could easily restrain our foe…"

"… While I exploit its weakness…" Mew whispered, continuing to form their nasty plot.

To Zoroark's utter surprise, the mood of the room was rapidly easing up. Having expected a doomsday atmosphere considering what they were up against, the occupants were instead taking the news rather well. Lucario and Zerobi were talking about how relieved they were not to be on one of the other teams, the legendary trio kept bickering back and forth as to who owed who a free lunch after everything was done, and Mew and Celebi were a little too eager in proving their expertise in planning as their methods of attack grew more and more advanced.

"Actually… There was one more thing…" Zoroark spoke loudly as everyone turned towards her. She considered not saying anything, but had to make them take this whole thing more seriously.

"I hardly even have to mention it, but know that failure is absolutely not an option… No matter the cost," "There are more lives at stake here than just ours, after all. If you are captured, we will perform a rescue after this is done with. If killed, we shall never forget the name of the one who saved all Pokémon in the world. That is all I can offer."

Zoroark felt a little awkward as the atmosphere in the room took a nosedive, but at least they were now meeting her serious expression with their own.

"Hey, I just need to stall Raikou, and I wouldn't worry too much about Mew and Celebi…" Pikablu muttered while pointing a thumb at Lucario, "… Looks like the ones most likely to get killed will be you, Zerobi and Mr. Human."

The Gallade laughed, but Pikablu's ominous prediction struck a chord with some of the Pokémon present. The legendary trio decided to turn in for the night and left rather abruptly, carrying an unmatched air of confidence about them. Celebi followed, but not before urging Zerobi to be extra careful. Lucario was also feeling tired and was about to leave when he was stopped by a gentle tapping on his back.

"Stay safe," Mew said as Lucario turned around to face her, her long tail returning to its position behind her.

"You too," Lucario answered calmly, realizing his request was a lot more likely to be fulfilled. To head into the unknown was not a fun thing, but he took relief in know that at least he would be fighting neither Red nor Blue.

"Know that I will not hesitate to come to your aid, should danger befall," Mew said with a quiet nod, "Simply let your aura flow, so I may locate you."

"I can handle myself," Lucario replied and felt like spreading a little gallows humor, "Besides, you're supposed to keep Blue far away from where I'm going. By the time you get to me, I'll be long dead!"

He was given the opposite reaction of what he had expected, Mew gasping with concern overflowing in her expression.

"I mean it! If you were to die because of my absence, I could never forgive myself…" Mew whispered softly. She already felt responsible enough for killing him once, wondering if his close brush with death had given him a much too casual look on the subject.

"So… When I die, you want me to make sure it's in front of you?" Lucario continued with his dark humor, Mew finding herself caught between a smile and a frown.

"We have so much more to talk about," Mew kept going, unabated but his attempts to lighten the issue at hand, "Please stay your recklessness… Just this once!"

"Yeah, yeah…" Lucario mumbled as he waved his hand around, giving up on trying to be funny. He realized that spending so much time with Zerobi was starting to give him a very sinister outlook on life.

Few of them slept well that night, minds running rampant with thoughts of the upcoming mission. While the Gallade had sweet dreams regarding the great battle he was about to film, and Kabutops saw himself at home with his family once again, Pikablu was revisited by haunting nightmares of his deceased little brother. His suddenly awakened hatred made the dream seem all too real, finding himself choking Celebi to death in a fit of rage without any recollection of what had really happened. The intensity of his emotions seemed to spread themselves over to Celebi, who in turn dreamed of fighting Pikablu once more in an attempt to protect her sister from his anger. Zerobi too could not help but feel uneasy, worried about what tomorrow would bring and feeling like something really bad was about to happen.

Like usual, Zoroark found herself completely unable to sleep even a little. Sitting and staring at the horizon, she waited for the arrival of the sun. It would shine for a full day, before leaving and giving way to an event that would surely determine the fate of the world.

Missed a chapter. Anyway though, the battle for Pokemon os about to commence. Who will win? Don`t ask me cuz I do not know! Also, I wonder what happened to the Zorua and Zoroark population...

1. Metal Mario
    2. Arrogance
    3. Writer's Block

Long time, no post, anyway... the final showdown will soon commence, and I can't help but be anxious to the results.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

Time, there's never enough of it but it's always there to waste.
    -Azurus

Chapter 81

Royal Joker Blue

Red and Blue were wasting yet another eventless night away. Bored with their dull task of defending Pokémon Stadium, they found themselves spend their time together locked in fierce battle like usual, rival versus rival with both trying to prove their superiority over the other.

"Squirtle…" Red muttered as he quietly pointed towards his opponent, "… Bubble."

"Cubone, use Snivel!" Blue retorted immediately. Flipping a coin twice, the first came up tails and the second came up heads, eliciting a cheerful whistle from Blue as his Cubone successfully blocked both damage and paralysis.

"Water is meant to be effective against Rock-types…" Red argued with a tired expression, wondering why he was even bothering.

"Not in this game, it isn't!" Blue replied as he rearranged his cards. Using a complicated strategy of Gust of Wind, Scoop Up and an unexpected Hitmonchan, Red quickly found yet another one of his cards knocked out. His experience with real Pokémon battles was interfering with his skills at the card game, and so their first combat of the evening ended with Red's loss. Although not exactly eager to make up for it, he decided to have another round just to help pass the time.

"Alright, stop me if you've heard this one…" Blue started while shuffling his hand, "So, there's this team of scientists doing research over at Cinnabar Island. Place's ruined since the volcanic eruption, but it's pretty big and they've gotta stay there for several weeks."

"Hmm…" Red mutters, wondering what kind of research a molten rock held.

"After a while, one of the younger scientists starts to feel pretty lonely, y'know?" Blue continued with a chuckle, "Can't control his hormones and all that! Checking in with his superiors, he asks how they deal with it. They laugh and say it's only normal, and that they brought something just in case. They decide to give the guy a break and tell him to go open one of the Pokéballs back at camp."

Drawing a card, Red acquired possession of a Professor Oak. He hoped the deceased professor did not mind being used from beyond the grave to defeat his own grandson in a children's card game.

"He goes back, opens the Pokéball, and guess what?" Blue said while rearranging a few of his cards again, "It's a Gardevoir. Elegant and stylish, sure, but… Guy's shocked at his superiors' suggestion. Still, she looks KIND of human, y'know? He's so damn pent up, and was not about to bug the others any further. So, he pulls down his pants and starts doin' her."

Red sighed. He knew all too well where this was going.

"After a while one of the superiors comes back, sees him knee-deep inside the Gardevoir and starts yelling," Blue kept going while suddenly doing an impersonation, "No! We meant for her to teleport you back to town to find a girl and get laid!"

Blue laughed heartily while Red felt obligated to give a mildly amused expression. He had heard the same joke many decades earlier, although in that version it had been a Jynx instead of a Gardevoir. Thinking back, he was pretty sure Blue was the one who had told him back then as well. Wondering if maybe his long-time rival was finally going senile, he looked up to see Blue's smile fade away into an expression of utter shock, obviously staring at something.

Still laughing from his own joke, Blue suddenly saw something pink move near the window to their little shack. Smiling to himself at the thought of some curious Pokémon looking in at their game, he wondered which kind it was. An Audino? A Jigglypuff? His question was answered as not one, but two faces suddenly peered inside.

The first face was pink and had extremely fine hair, two small ears and massive sapphire eyes. The second face was green and looked like a budding flower, two stalks protruding out of its forehead. Blue's expression froze until he felt himself choke on his own spit, immediately recognizing the creatures and helplessly reaching towards the window as both of them promptly flew off.

"Mew!" Blue exclaimed loudly, drawing Red's attention, "Mew and Celebi! Holy bloody WHAT THE HELL DID YOU SEE THAT!?"

Red turned around and looked at the window as Blue practically flew to his feet, grabbed his jacket and sloppily threw on a pair of boots, moving as eagerly as a ten year old boy about to receive his first Pokémon. Seeing nothing but white snow and black darkness outside, Red could only assume that Blue was indeed turning senile, and was about to get a lot colder for it.

"… Calm down…" Red muttered, "… It was most likely just the snow."

"Ah, yes! For sure!" Blue shouted as he ran outside, thinking he was lucky to be getting the two legendaries for himself, "Now sit here and do nothing while I go out and go down in history as the best damn trainer that ever…"

Red heard Blue's voice trail off into a mutter, the antsy trainer already well on his way to verify what he had seen. A few seconds passed as Red sat with nothing to do. Carefully he peeked over at his opponent's hand, seeing that Blue was carrying almost nothing but basic Pokémon cards. Red sighed as he leaned back, realizing that his rival he were still quite different even after all these years.

- - - - - -

"C-C-Cold!" the Umbreon stammered as his pads touched down on the snow, having just been summoned by Blue into a much chillier area than he had hoped.

"… Brisk…" the Espeon whispered before shivering slightly. The two of them looked up at their trainer Blue, who was breathing heavily and had a look of excitement on his face.

"Mew's here, and Celebi too!" Blue yelled happily while rummaging through his pockets for his Pokédex, "You two, sniff them out!"

"C-Can't even smell…" the Umbreon whined with a running nose before sneezing, his ears suddenly perking up, "… Wait, Celebi!? Celebi's here!?"

"… Mew? Truly?" the Espeon repeated with an equally surprised expression.

"Yahoo!" the Umbreon cheered as he began to hop around in anticipation, "Come on, let's get Celebi to send us to the past so we can be cool time travelers!"

"… Sending you into the past would be like signing history's death warrant…" the Espeon muttered with a tone so cold it made the blizzard seem warm and gentle by comparison, "… And I would think the mother of all Pokémon should warrant more attention than a common Grass-"

"Not now, argue later!" Blue shouted with a stern voice as he crouched down and put his hands on his Pokémon's heads, "Tell me, where's Mew and Celebi!?"

"Skyward," something not human replied, and it took Blue a moment to realize that neither of the Eevee siblings had said anything. Instead, both of them were looking up at something, faces frozen in surprise. Faintly recognizing the meaning of the Pokémon speech, Blue slowly turned his head upwards as well. There, floating above him were the legendary Pokémon Celebi and Mew.

Blue's expression exploded into joy as he beheld the two living legends. Pink hair so fine it could only be properly appreciated through a microscope accompanied by a verdant appearance clashing poorly against the cold and lifeless area all around… There was no doubt in his mind. At long last, he had found two of the most elusive legendaries in the world.

His excitement began to turn into nervosity. Mew and Celebi were certainly not large or intimidating, but had a certain presence to them that made Blue feel like an insect. The way they looked at him was unlike anything he had experienced before, like their gazes were piercing into his very soul, and a lifetime of experience with handling Pokémon told him that it was not a peaceful sign.

"E… Eh… Esp…" Blue stammered while nearly tying his own tongue into a knot, "Espeon! Surround us with a barrier so they can't escape!"

"On the contrary," Celebi spoke softly as Mew placed her hands together, turning the surrounding area into a pink hue, "It is you who will not be escaping."

- - - - - - -

Red had been staring into the wall for quite some time, feeling a bit unfulfilled with his current situation in life. Aging was in no way glamorous and he had always expected to live out his final years in boredom, but never saw himself in a rickety chair in some shack in the middle of nowhere, waiting for nothing in particular to happen. Still, it was not as bad most people would assume. The six decades leading up to this moment had given him enough adventure to last three lifetimes, and now he just wanted to take it easy and rest. Indeed, the start of his retirement had been sweet, giving him time to enjoy the fruit of his labor and relax while reflecting over his eventful past.

However, he knew his satisfaction had come at a high price. Deoxys had rampaged through the world unhindered, killing thousands of people and Pokémon, all wondering why there was no one skilled and powerful enough to stand up to the threat. It made Red realize that champions like him were never allowed to retire, but had to fight for the sake of others until his bones turned into dust. At least then, he would finally find peace at the end of it all.

A loud knock suddenly shook him out of his thoughts. Another followed, seemingly coming from the door. Thinking Blue had finally gotten fed up with the winter wonderland and strangely eager to continue their children's card game, Red went and opened the door.

Whirling snow quickly slathered his face, but there was no Blue in sight. The wayward rival seeped out of Red's mind though, because standing on top of the bed of snow with arms crossed was a ghost from the past.

"Knock, knock," Pikablu said menacingly, "Can Raikou come out and play?"

Red could not believe what he was seeing. A Pikachu? Out here, on the snowy plains? If there was one species Pokémon he considered himself versed with it was Pikachu, and was fairly certain there were no fitting habitats such as forests or cities anywhere nearby. For forty years his own Pikachu had whined about the cold due to never wanting to go inside his Pokéball, and Red could feel that something about this situation was off.

Even so, Red found himself intrigued by the creature. It was old and nearly as worn by battle as his own partner was shortly before drawing his last, peaceful breath. Despite the Pikachu's smile, Red detected animosity exuding from him, the glint in his eyes telling the aged trainer he had a fight on his hands.

"Hmm… Such untamed ferocity… You could use a trainer…" Red muttered before feeling his mood sullen once more, "But I am retired… Be agitated somewhere else…"

The Pikachu remained steadfast and shook his head, showing that he had no intention of backing down. Red was amazed the seemingly wild fiend understood him, and could not imagine what a Pikachu would ever want to do with an old man like him. He painted up the only plausible scenario he could think of – That he was trespassing upon the Pikachu's territory. Unbeknownst to anyone, the abandoned Stadium now housed Pokémon and he was preventing this Pikachu from coming home.

Feeling distressed and uninformed, Red suddenly thought back to the mission he had been given. Had they expected this? Were they not concerned about random Pokémon causing a ruckus, but rather precognitive beings organizing an attack? He gave the Pikachu one last warning gaze before reaching into his backpack and pulling out a Pokéball.

"No? How stubborn…" Red sighed as he let his own curiosities die off, "… As you wish. I will end this quickly."

- - - - - - -

The powerful aura of Raikou flared up in the distance as Lucario gnashed his teeth together.

"Raikou's out," Lucario whispered while tightening his grip around Zoroark's wrist, "You, uh, sure we're completely invisible?"

"Shh," Zoroark replied hastily with an almost entirely soundless hiss, "No one can see us, but they can definitively hear us… We cannot help but leave footprints in the snow, so we must be careful…"

Zerobi felt like pointing out that she was graceful enough to not leave any footprints, but decided not to. She already felt silly enough as the three of them trudged through the snowy landscape, clinging on to one another in a chain formation. Zoroark apparently had the ability to make himself and his surroundings invisible, which would help them get inside the Stadium undetected. But since they could no longer see each other, they needed to "stay in touch" so to speak, and she ended up getting dragged along Lucario who was being tugged along by Zoroark.

Already feeling exhausted from maintaining such a complicated illusion, Zoroark constantly ran the mission through her head over and over. If any of the other parties should fail, it would be up to her to figure out the right course of action. She found herself longing for tomorrow. For better or worse, at least by then this would all be over.

nice chapters. i was out for a very long camping trip. any ways FIRE a master ball at mew. you havnt completed your mew death promise. you did deserve better in the awards though.

Well, here's hoping Mew and Celebi and the rest of the gang make it through their initial encounters in one piece and free.

Kind of a short chapter, but looking forward to the next where we will inevitably see each of their conclusions, or at least how they play out.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

-Azurus

Quote Originally Posted by Azurus View Post
    Well, here's hoping Mew and Celebi and the rest of the gang make it through their initial encounters in one piece and free.

Kind of a short chapter, but looking forward to the next where we will inevitably see each of their conclusions, or at least how they play out.
    Next chapter will be even shorter, but that's because I'm gearing up for a couple of HUGE chapters coming afterwards. Yes, big things are about to happen!

Missed a chapter. Anyway though, the battle for Pokemon os about to commence. Who will win? Don`t ask me cuz I do not know! Also, I wonder what happened to the Zorua and Zoroark population...
    There is none, Zoroark is the only one of her kind... With every mutation of a species, someone has to be first! Let's hope she doesn't die too soon, or Night Daze will just be a waste of an animation!

Chapter 82

Cardinal Master Red

The exotic Raikou stood tall and proud, not showing the slightest hint of discomfort in the biting chill. He lowered his head as Red adjusted his winter coat and climbed up upon the beast's back, covering himself in the warm, cozy mane.

"Sweet ride. How fast does it go?" Pikablu asked with a mocking tone. He could not shake the feeling that he was but a rat barking at a tiger, and was certain that anyone else in his position would be running for the hills right about now. Even so, Pikablu was not about to falter. Earlier in his life he had matched and perhaps even bested Celebi, a legendary a whole tier above the one currently in front of him.

A frown crossed Red's expression as the Pikachu suddenly made a small hop, stomping down and sinking into the snow. They layer of snow was a good decimeter thick, and so the small rodent found his entire lower body submerged. As if eager to further worsen his predicament, he crouched down and placed his hands against the frozen soil.

"… Reducing your own mobility? Raikou..." Red said with a dull tone as he patted the side of his Pokémon's head, "... Stomp."

Raikou showed no hesitation as he made a ferocious lunge, bringing his forepaw down on Pikablu. As it hit the ground, the lack of moisture in the air caused massive sparks of static electricity to stem from the mighty slam, making the snow around the impact site to scatter in all directions. Raikou lifted his paw, witnessing the crater that had swallowed up the hole as well as the small electric rodent within.

"Actually, I was increasing my mobility. You know, 25%?" Pikablu said while calmly leaning up against Raikou's other foreleg, prompting a startled expression from Red. The electrical charge from Raikou's attack seemed to have latched on to the Pikachu somehow, sparks emanating out of his body in steady pulses.

The legendary dog spent no time figuring out what had happened, instantly sweeping the ground with his great claws. Pikablu did not bother backing away from the fierce attack, instead running directly between the large beast's front legs. Raikou halted his swipe in the last second as he noticed his target disappearing from view, Pikablu suddenly jumping up with all his might and headbutting the great tiger's stomach. An audible cough came from Raikou as he temporarily staggered, Pikablu taking the opportunity to headbutt his foe once again. The legendary dog had apparently had enough of the rat's assault, discharging all of his stored up electricity and surrounding himself with a powerful veil of lightning. However, Pikablu had already escaped from underneath him, crouching several meters away with a sinister smile.

"That's two attacks…" Pikablu said with a voice rattled by the strong electricity running through his body, "… Hmm, you used three? Strange, you seemed pretty damn slow to me!"

"… You…" was all Raikou was able to say, still reeling and feeling queasy from Pikablu's raw force. Red continued staring at the Pikachu while gauging the situation. A moment passed before the old trainer lowered his head and sighed in dismay.

"How unfortunate. I was going to let you go free..." he whispered as he reached into his backpack, bringing out a regular Pokéball from one of the pockets, "... But after such a magnificent display, how can I?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

"Ugh… Do you smell that…?" Lucario muttered bitterly as he clutched the end of his long snout. His group had just passed the gates of Pokémon Stadium, and as he was not busy experiencing a long-winded flashback this time around he was fully aware of the awful waft coming from inside. It smelled like burnt hair, and there was a defined hint of gore mixed into it. Seeing Zoroark's and Zerobi's equally disgusted expressions, he could tell it was not just his imagination. At the same time, it occurred to him that Zoroark had made them all visible once more.

Meanwhile, Zerobi was dealing with a problem worse than the stench. Her heart palpitated at an alarming rate and her body was tingling all over with the same kind of feeling she got after just having finished carving up an unfortunate victim, about to take her first dip into the bloodbath. It was a good feeling, and that is what worried her.

"There's so much blood in the air!" she tried to whisper, but was unable to hold back the urgency in her voice, "It wasn't this bad before!"

"Hmm? I did trash Torana pretty badly, I guess," Lucario replied confidently, hoping they would not point out that the fiery bird had no hair to be burnt in the first place, and that he had bled a whole lot more than she had. Zoroark felt troubled by the heavy musk of death hanging over them, and quietly ran a claw over her lips to see if they were sticky. It was a common effect from lingering fat in the air, which in itself was a common effect of someone exploding. Sensing nothing, she hoped their sentient blood-detector would continue to keep her informed.

"Follow me," Zoroark ordered as she moved ahead, "And remember that we are here for the virus. We can worry about anything else later, and that includes corpses."

"Right, let's drop the illusion and charge in like real men!" Lucario said while clenching his fists as his excitement quickly turned into worry, "… That is why you dropped the illusion, right?"

"Men?" Zoroark snapped back before suddenly realizing she still had her regular illusion activated, "I mean, yes. Like men."

Zerobi felt left out, being the only girl in the group. She knew groups of three usually came all male, such as the three legendary dogs and the legendary trio. Tugging her mind away from the lingering blood, she found herself wondering how the latter was holding up against the former.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

"Raikou..." Red muttered with an uncaring flick of his wrist, "... Thunderbolt."

The mighty legendary roared and spat out a ball of lightning, the mass of electricity grazing Pikablu as he used his 25% to zoom past it.

"You call that aiming?" Pikablu asked while lowering his hands once more, letting the excess electricity flow out of his body and into the ground, "Probably used to facing bigger targets, huh? That stupid mask is obscuring your vision; let me help you with that!"

Once more he made use of his superior agility to make his way to Raikou unhindered. Not even waiting for Red's commands, Raikou tried to bite down on Pikablu but only got a mouthful of air as the speedy rat jumped up and headbutted the underside of his chin, his teeth crashing together painfully.

"Watch your tongue… Both of you…" Red muttered words of warning as Raikou slowly staggered backwards, not even bothering to strike out at the untouchable Pikachu in front. Pikablu felt his body reaching its limit and decided to temporarily deactivate 25%. Letting all the electricity flow out of him, he smiled as he felt amazed by his own abilities.

"I knew it!" he shouted and crossed his arms in a prideful gesture, "You legendaries are too damn lazy, doing nothing but relying on your inherent abilities! All it took was some training plus a few new skills, and even a guy like me can usurp your throne!"

"… Training…" Raikou repeated slowly with a certain harrowed tone to his voice. It was at that point Red realized the gravity of the situation. He was not simply one command away from going back inside to his warm fireplace and comfy chair, unlike with most of his encounters. For the first time in years, he was actually being met with resistance. Standing up on Raikou's back he gazed down at the creature in front, analyzing his every detail.

"I must say, I am impressed that a wild Pikachu would know of such a high level move…" Red said loudly as he reminisced, "… A most impressive technique. I still remember when I first taught it to my own Pikachu. Blaine's called me a 'cheater' for using it to defeat his Rhydon…"

"… Taught…?" Pikablu repeated with a confused expression. Red sat down again with a slight bit of effort as his knees refused to bend properly, and grabbed onto Raikou's mane once more.

"But for maximum efficiency, you really should apply the technique to a body with greater bulk…" Red explained as he patted the head of his Pokémon and lowered himself, disappearing inside the fluffy mane, "Raikou, show him how it is done."

Something changed in the eyes of the tiger as Pikablu could not help but take a step back, still trying to comprehend what he had just heard. Raikou relaxed his muscles for a moment before slamming the front of his body into the ground, lightning stemming from the impact with a loud crash, surrounding the legendary dog in an aura of flashes and whirling electricity. Throwing his head to the skies and piercing the blizzard with an intimidating howl, Raikou activated the same technique that had led Pikablu through so many battles before.

Unable to do anything but stare in disbelief, Pikablu noticed that he was trembling, and it was not because of the cold.

Wow, two pikachiu and one riakou can learn the technique. But wasn't riakou suposed to be under celebi powr-wise... LETS SEE THIS BATTLE Begin. I now give blue the official though-who-shall-be-pitied badge. But will Pikablu go 100% again? I dout Celebi can make the save again. Now if Blue with with a bunch of sweepers, will mew remember the killer trick room.
    Now that I think about it, is the crazed aura-storming shiny lucario going to mak a return? That will most likely be decided by how honorable blue is. The main thing is, will Zerobi go blood-crazed?

Oh geez, pikablu is in a little over his head at the moment, I wonder as to how he'll pull through.

Also, I hope Zerobii is able to stay un-blood-frenzied, it wouldn't be good if that happened.

You were right that it was shorter, but it's something and I can't wait for the rest.

-Azurus

Chapter 83

Enduring Sabertooth Raikou

"I… Impossible…" Pikablu stammered as he suddenly felt himself run low on air, "My technique… It was so difficult to master…"

Raikou stood before him and looked down with an intimidating glare, covered by a veil of electricity with sparks randomly shooting out of his body.

"… Your…?" Raikou said questioningly as his voice was distorted from all the electricity running through his body, making him even less intelligible than usual. Thinking back to the merciless training Pikablu had put himself through, he did not believe for a second that Raikou or anyone else for that matter had managed to go through the same torturous ordeal.

However, what truly worried him was that fact that if the technique let a regular Pikachu like himself take on legendaries such as Celebi, how strong would it make an already beastly foe like Raikou?

"Tch!" Pikablu spat as he crouched down and activated 25%, his body exploding into an aura of thunder. He had not done it a moment too soon as Raikou sprang into action, the huge monster flying at him like a bullet. Pikablu did not even have time to react as he found himself struck by a few hundred kilograms of charging legendary, Raikou tackling him with the side of his body.

"UGH!" Pikablu coughed as he flew back, but immediately as he landed on the ground he retaliated, jumping back and responding with his own tackle to Raikou's face. Staggering for only a fraction of a second, the large tiger charged and struck back at Pikablu again, instantly moving at the speed of a rampant locomotive despite not having accelerated at all. Pikablu grit his teeth through the pain and once more tried to retaliate as he hit the ground, but instead felt his body shut down and collapse from exertion.

"Gh… Gah…" Pikablu stammered as he struggled to keep control the electricity running through him, but felt it grow unwieldy. About to be torn asunder from inside out, he was forced to conduct the electricity into the ground where it quickly dissipated.

"I suggest you cease trying to trade blows with someone approximately fifteen times your size…" Red mused as he emerged from Raikou's mane and crossed his arms, "… And although that technique makes you both very fast, your reaction time should remain unchanged. You may move like a bolt of lightning… But can you dodge one…?"

Pikablu groaned and clutched his forehead. His strenuous training had made him nearly immune to all pain, so he had not realized that his body had taken so much damage and was too frail to match brute force with Raikou. He knew he would have to try a different approach, or this battle would not last much longer.

"… Don't make me laugh!" Pikablu taunted as he stood up and reactivated 25%, "Your body's too big and bulky! You're just a big canister of electricity! Let me show you the difference between you and a genuine bolt of lightning!"

- - - - - - - -

The deeper they went into Pokémon Stadium, the less certain of herself Zerobi became. Each footstep added another layer to the already heavy musk of blood in the air, and she was certain she was already feeling some of their effects just by inhaling. She lowered her head and breathed in and out at a slow pace to keep her mind steady, hoping things would not get worse before they got any better.

Lucario and Zoroark looked at her with concerned expressions, the foul stench not going lost on either of them. They had arrived at the iron gates leading up to the stands, which was their destination. Sighing audibly, Zoroark went ahead and began to fiddle with the lock, inserting two of her spiky claws.

"Zerobi. The source of this blood is where we are heading," Zoroark muttered as Zerobi flinched and lifted her head, "Can you handle it? This mission is far too important for you to become a liability."

"I can…" Zerobi said before stopping herself, thinking this was probably not the best subject to feign hardiness with, "I… Probably can… Depends on how much blood there is…"

"Smells like a lot," Lucario pointed out as he clutched his queasy stomach, "Urk… Maybe even I can't handle it. I just barely managed to force down breakfast."

A clinking sound echoed through the hall Zoroark finished undoing the lock, but deliberately kept the gate closed. Turning around, she faced Zerobi with a stern expression. Zerobi met her gaze as Zoroark examined her, the two Dark-types staring at each other for a while. Noticing Zerobi's labored breathing, Zoroark decided to ease up and placed a hand on her shoulder.

"Listen. Lucario and I can handle things from now on, you stay here and secure our escape route," Zoroark said with calmness to her voice, "The last thing we need is a surprise ambush as we flee."

Zerobi looked down before slowly nodding, feeling disappointed in herself.

"Hey," Lucario muttered as he patted her back, "It's the smart thing to do, we didn't expect there to be blood down there. Anything's better than you going crazy, right?"

"Ah… Well…" Zoroark suddenly interrupted, holding up a finger. She stopped herself as Zerobi and Lucario looked at her in confusion, the revolutionary obviously at a loss for words.

"… I was hoping it would come naturally… That I would not have to ORDER you to do this, but…" Zoroark whispered before putting more strength behind her voice, "If Lucario and I fail, I want you to head inside, lather yourself in blood and slaughter everyone."

A moment of silence passed before Zerobi gasped and Lucario inhaled sharply, feeling an involuntary twitch of anger and surprise around his temples.

"A… Are you insane!?" Zerobi burst out with indignation, forcing Zoroark to approach her and make a hushing gesture.

"Shh! Listen! Have you forgotten what is at stake here?" Zoroark explained with a shred of panic across her face, "Even if we die and even if you must surrender your reformed life… The virus cannot remaining in their hands, or this was all for nothing!"

Swallowing hard, Zerobi forced herself to keep a straight face. The very same person that had demanded she never touch a drop of blood again was now practically forcing her to do it.

"You are this team's greatest asset, and it is for this express purpose I brought you along," Zoroark continued while moving her arms around, displaying a sense of urgency, "You have experience with killing in vast quantities, do you not? If we do not return, the main force will make their move to retrieve the virus. Just cooperate, they have been ordered to put you down should you prove troublesome."

"… I'm not some rabid animal!" Zerobi hissed angrily at the sinister proposal, "And I did not come here ready to risk my life!"

"Everyone's life is already at risk, yours included," Zoroark muttered depressingly, "I am giving you a chance at redemption. Is that not what you told me you wanted? Lucario, am I out of line here?"

"Yes!" Lucario burst out, having finally reclaimed the words he was looking for all this time, "The enemy is out there, not here! You're saying something down there's going to kill us!? Like I'd let that happen!"

"… You don't know that…" Zerobi whispered quietly before shaking her head. It seemed unreal, that she might be forced to engage in what she had abstained from for so long. A few years back the prospect might have excited her, but now she could only associate her bloodlust with misery and regret.

"Stop thinking about it," Lucario said reassuringly as he suddenly put his arms on both her shoulders, "I won't die. But if I do, I'll give 'em hell so you don't have to."

Zerobi did not have time to react or respond as Lucario was suddenly pulled away from her, Zoroark dragging him with her behind the steel fence.

"We have already wasted too much time," Zoroark muttered sternly, "People are bleeding for us up there. Let us hurry."

"W-Wait!" Zerobi stammered abruptly as she reached out for Lucario, "K-Kiss for good luck?"

"Uh… Sure, when I get back," Lucario replied while scratching the back of his head, not having brought any mint and already close to barfing from the smell of death and roasted skin all around. Detaching from one another, Zoroark and Lucario hastily slipped behind the iron bars and disappeared down the corridor, out of sight from Zerobi but definitively not out of mind.

- - - - - - -

Raikou threw his massive body into a tackle, narrowly missing as Pikablu rolled to the side in the very last second. As the legendary skidded over the frosty soil, Pikablu saw his opportunity and moved gracefully on top of the snow, chasing down the considerably heavier legendary still recovering from the fearsome lunge. He mustered up all his strength and shot out like a rocket towards his opponent's hindquarters, but Raikou proved himself to be just as agile as his opponent by avoiding it through a strangely acrobatic jump and mid-air twirl.

"Whew," Pikablu exhaled as he landed on the ground and decided to take a break from the assault, "Your ballet might give uncle sissy a run for his money!"

"… You talk… Big…" Raikou wheezed as he caught his breath, "… For such a… Tiny rodent…"

"Oh, do I? In truth, I could just go all-out and wipe the floor with you any second…" Pikablu growled before drawing a heavy breath, "… But those techniques are too unwieldy and would kill you, Red and probably me too. I've got things to live for now, and I'm not squandering them for you."

Unable to read Raikou's expression behind the mask, Pikablu found himself thinking of Anne back home again. It felt strange that a world containing such a peaceful existence was the very same that had placed him into this hectic battle.

He knew that if he had wanted to, he could have avoided all of this and stayed at home. He was old after all, Celebi and the rest of the trio would have understood. Yet still, although he was beginning to feel the labors of a bad back and stiff neck, his youthful spirit was all but extinguished. There was still something he had never quite finished.

"Going down in legend's one thing. Could've done that whenever I wanted to," Pikablu explained before shrugging, "But now, I actually want to be there to enjoy it. Ain't no use to me when I'm dead. Fight with all your might, because the battle of how a simple Pikachu became a legendary will be retold for generations to come!"

"… Unwarranted… Self-confidence…" Raikou muttered angrily, the small rat's arrogance serving to defile his precious memories of Red's Pikachu.

"Maybe. But to win, I don't need to go 75% or 100% anymore," Pikablu said before raising his voice to a shout, "One might say I have a more POSITIVE outlook on life!"

The effect of his shout was immediate. For the first time since the start of the battle, Red's eyes darted away from the yellow mouse to witness a sudden altercation to the battlefield. In two separate areas, the snow was beginning to move, two previously unseen figures standing up and making their appearance. The first quietly shook in order to get the snow off him, while the other one suddenly jumped ahead, instantly clearing himself from the frozen water and landing directly in front of Raikou. Red stared in disbelief as the Gallade in front of him suddenly pointed to the heavens and struck a pose.

"Sha-zaam! Prepare from trouble, and make it double!" the Gallade spoke with a big smile and determination in his voice, "To protect the world from devastation, the impregnable duo is here to rescue our trusted companion from a painful death at the hands of a psychotic legendary! Our journey has been long… Our trials many… But in this pale moonlight, we find ourselves at the gates of the final confrontation! Say your last prayers as we, the heroes of justice, put an end to your tyrannical rule over Pokémon so unfairly captured! Time has come for you to step down, and leave the world to a new generation! With me as the king and you as an old queen, let the snow be our ballroom and the wind our orchestra! Now, come with me and let's boogie, baby!"

The Gallade finished by striking another pose, holding his hands in front of him in a taunting gesture. A long, awkward silence followed as everyone stared at him, Pikablu slapping his forehead with an open palm while Kabutops shook out the last bit of snow caught inside his left shoulder.

"The camera is broken," Kabutops said monotonously, "Raikou stepped on it."

The Gallade was wondering why Kabutops wasn't following the script as he put extra effort into smiling for the hidden camera, suddenly noticing a cracked lens sticking up from one of the many paw-shaped footprints in the snow. His mouth fell open as his scripted sequence came crashing down all around him, staring at the wreck that was supposed to have captured his greatest moment of cinema.

"NOOOOOOOOOO!" the Gallade screamed with anguish and ran up to the broken camera, kneeling next to it and slowly picking up the ruined lens. In it, he saw a broken reflection of himself, telling him his gallant speech had not been recorded. With a furious gaze, he turned towards Red and pointed at Raikou.

"You will pay for this, you… You simpleton!" he yelled angrily as his voice turned into a higher pitch, "You may think me bested, but I brought a Polaroid! I will pose on top of your unconscious body and take pictures! SO MANY PICTURES!"

Still flabbergasted by the psychic's odd behavior, Pikablu was the first to snap out of it and walked up to the Gallade with the intention of kicking him in the shin for ruining the atmosphere. However, he found his trek hindered as a most unusual sound was emanating from in front of the Gallade. Looking up in disbelief, he saw what looked like Red, hunched over himself and shaking lightly. He felt as if his own senses were betraying him as he realized that the aged trainer, the very same person who so far had not shown even a shred of emotion, was without any doubt laughing to himself.

"Hnf… Hnffnf…" Red chuckled before lifting his head and looking at the Gallade, "I believe you and Blue would get along quite well with one another."

The Gallade stood frozen for a second before nodding in gratitude, completely forgetting his position. The old man had broken into a smile, and he soon turned his head towards Kabutops who remained unfazed in face of the happy expression.

"And you look an awful lot like that fossil I gave up in Mt. Moon," Red said as he tapped the side of his chin, "I suppose that super nerd successfully revived you? Who'd have thought it was actually possible…? Be grateful, the one I picked is still lying in a box somewhere."

At the sound of this, even the stoic Kabutops could not help but twitch. He did not have time to ponder Red's statement before the Pokémon trainer suddenly unhinged his backpack, opening the biggest pocket and beginning to rummage around. Ignoring that he was in the middle of combat, his smile only grew wider as he seemed to have sunken into his own little world.

"What a night… A genuine ambush, of all things…" Red whispered to himself with a hint of admiration in his voice, "A wild Pikachu, handling himself like a legendary… An extinct being, about to put that old museum in Pewter out of business… And that Gallade… Fellow…"

The members of the legendary trio wondered what was about to happen when Red suddenly pulled something out of his backpack. Expecting it to be a Masterball or some manner of trainer's tool, they were surprised to see that it was but a regular white and red cap. It looked very old, lightly torn and tattered at the edges. There were signs of repetitive damage and repair, stitches and filth covering every inch. It would have seemed like garbage to anyone else, but Red continued staring at it with an adoring gaze, lightly caressing it. He had not seen it for quite some time. It had been lying at the bottom of the backpack he always brought, but never had to use because all his fights were usually over in one stroke.

The cap seemed to be in disrepair, but such was not the case. Every notch, every burn mark and every faint fragrance brought another memory to life inside of Red. A mildly displeasing aroma hung in the air as he recalled the time he had accidentally slept next to a Gloom after forgetting to put her back in her Pokéball for the night, worrying that the stench would never go away. He snickered to himself, thinking of how right he had been. He felt a slightly sticky segment inside, where Blue had placed a piece of gum to get it stuck in his hair after their seemingly peaceful encounter on S.S. Anne. He knew the hat looked like crap, but to him it was far more beautiful now than when he had first won it from the Pokémon League Expo all those decades ago. Slowly lifting it, he placed it on top of his head, glad to see that it still fit.

"Appears there are still a few interesting encounters to be had in this life," Red mumbled quietly as he felt a tinge of discomfort, "But… Something seems off…"

He twisted and turned the hat which seemed unfamiliar somehow, not quite finding the correct spot around his cranium. Suddenly it hit him, and he grabbed a hold of the front. Pulling it, he turned it backwards on his head and as if it was sending signals directly into his brain, he was immediately overcome by even more nostalgia.

Pikablu grit his teeth. Normally he would have intervened and put a stop to the silly display, but something had drastically changed in the trainer before him. His eyes were no longer the weary oculars of a man with one foot in the grave. They were sharp, filled with confidence and frightening competence. His tired expression had been replaced by the cockiness of a prodigy teenager, one that knew he was the best and would gladly show everyone why. The faded being upon the massive legendary was gone, and Red was now exuding such an overwhelming presence that even Raikou dwarfed beneath him. Grabbing a Pokéball from his backpack, he held it in front of himself as his smile turned into a grin.

"Gotta catch 'em all isn't a goal… It's a way of life," Red said as he threw up the Pokéball, letting it spin around in midair before catching it again, "And unfortunately for you, it seems mine has just picked back up."

So all Red needed to revive his spirit was a decent challenge. This should be interesting to see. Looking forward to another chapter.

-Azurus

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast