Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The Human Species (PG-13)

Wow, dogs are that rare? How about animals that would normally go in a zoo? Extinct? Anyways, great chapter at least and it gives a bit of insight of what Lucario is thinking.
    The prequels are great, though a bit short, which is why I prefer this fic.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme8899 View Post
    Wow, dogs are that rare? How about animals that would normally go in a zoo? Extinct? Anyways, great chapter at least and it gives a bit of insight of what Lucario is thinking.
    The prequels are great, though a bit short, which is why I prefer this fic.
    Huh? Yeah, I guess they are kind of short. I came up with and wrote Evo's Gate in a week. I just happened to stumble upon a Pokémon fanfiction contest that was 8 days away from the deadline and thought, hey, why not? Thought up the whole thing right there on the spot.

Forever Legendary took a week and a half to write, and half the time was dedicated towards the fourth chapter. I kept coming up with scenes I wanted to put in it!

Then I waited about a month before deciding to write The Human Species, fully aware of how ridiculously long it would get. I could've sworn you guys would've abandoned me by now… But since you haven't, I guess I'll keep writing new chapters!

Some animal species are extinct, while some still exist. Even so, most have been heavily domesticated after generations of getting their asses kicked in the wild, so not even a Lion would be dangerous.
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    Year 4-7: Forever Legendary [img]http://i52.*******.com/16a5hc2.png[/img]
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Year 10: The Human Species [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/34zypdx.png[/IMG]
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Chapter ??

Copyrighted Trademark Lucario

Who's that guy with the Aura Sphere?
    Come on, let's hear it, give it a cheer!
    Lonesome
    Wanderer
    LUCARIO!

He's really strong, but not too proud!
    He'll kick you in the gonads, for crying out loud!
    Lonesome
    Wanderer
    LUCARIO!

You are cool, and so are we!
    Watch our show and cool you'll be!
    Lonesome
    Wanderer
    LUCARIO!

The show starts with a shadow running through a forest. The shadow belongs to the protagonist, Lonesome Wanderer Lucario, who has chosen to run through the densely grown forest in favor of the road that lies just beside him. He has no problem running at maximum speed despite all the roots and trees in his way, and the lackluster animation causes the same set of trees to pass by him at least three times before the angle switches.

"BWA-HA-HA-HAAA!" a loud voice echoes from somewhere, "How predictable! You have fallen into my trap!"

Spinning around, Lucario sees an intimidating figure floating above the road he had been running next to all this time, shrouded in the sudden darkness of the previously bright forest.

"How devious! As expected from the evil Dusknoir!" Lucario exclaims in the direction of the audience, "What manner of trap have you placed me in!? I see nothing but trees all around!"

"Do you, now?" Dusknoir snickers while pointing to his right, "Look closer!"

Twisting his head, Lucario gasps as he sees a large building sticking out from above the treetops, a lavish construction with several towers.

"A fortress!?" Lucario says with amazement while overacting just a little, "Out here!?"

"I told Joe the Carpenter to erect a big one as soon as I heard you were coming!" Dusknoir continues laughing, as a man shows himself from behind a bush. He is fairly old and wearing a carpenter's uniform covered in soot and dust.

"Uh, yeah," Joe the Carpenter mumbles with a light cough, "Any chance of me getting paid for my work this time?"

"You know the contents of our contract," Dusknoir responds with a serious tone as he suddenly lowers his voice, "You only get paid if the construction still stands by the end of the day."

"Uh…" Joe the Carpenter mutters before looking in Lucario's direction with pleading eyes, "Hey, Lucario, could you NOT destroy my piece of work, this time? My kid's been reduced to peeling the skin of berries and eating them, selling the good parts to other, less miserable kids."

"Silence, villain!" Lucario snaps back while pointing at him, "You should know that crime doesn't pay!"

"Oh, it pays… YOU! A VISIT!" Dusknoir shouts while displaying the astounding wit of the writers of the show, "Prepare yourself, Lucario! I have a surprise waiting for you! Come out, my UnInts!"

Throwing his arms out, three figures suddenly appears beside Dusknoir. One was a tall insect with long arms and a red shell. The other was a round and short sumo with yellow skin and black gloves. The third was Joe the Carpenter.

"Kricketune, the Unintelligible!" Dusknoir shouts, signaling to his right.

The red insect moves forward.

"Je suis enchanté, compadre!" he says with a very peculiar dialect while clicking his mustache-like mandibles together like castanets, "Ko no nińo wa sugoi, mon cheri!"

"Makuhita, the Unintelligent!" Dusknoir yells, signaling to his left.

The yellow sumo starts to stagger around for no reason.

"Ugh. Um, duh…" he grumbles with a voice like a base, "Imma beat you like mah gramps beat me... LOTS!"

"And finally… Gorulk, the Uninterested!" Dusknoir screams, signaling to his right again.

Joe the Carpenter looks around, before reluctantly taking a step forward.

"Sir, he's not here," he says slowly, "He's staying home today."

"WHAT!?" Dusknoir bursts out with pure rage, "You let that FOOL remember who crafted him out of the distant detachments of aloof impassiveness!"

"I did," Joe the Carpenter mutters while shrugging, "He didn't care."

"In that case, YOU shall take his place!" Dusknoir says determinately before turning towards Joe the Carpenter and placing his arms on his shoulders, "Rise – Joe, the Uninterested!"

Joe the Uninterested tried to shrug in response, but his shoulders were being held down by Dusknoir.

"And so, the UnInts have assembled!" Dusknoir growls as he suddenly turns back to face Lucario, "Tremble, Lonesome Wanderer Lucario! Do you think you stand a chance!?"

"Out of our 75 encounters, I have defeated them every time, including that time when you transformed me into a finless Magikarp," Lucario replies quickly and confidently, "So… Yeah. I'm SO gonna win."

"Rather COCKY, aren't we!?" Dusknoir snaps at him, "Kricketune, the Unintelligible, attack! The rest of you, do absolutely nothing and stand and watch while they battle!"

"Busenkelt, cońo!" the insect chimes, pulling a rose out of nowhere and sticking it in his mouth. Then, he rushes up to Lucario and takes a swing at him.

"UGH!" Lucario groans from the unexpected attack, narrowly dodging it as he stumbles back. The insect continues to attack as Lucario avoids every attack without problem, the insect's rose appearing and disappearing between shots as the animators were unable to keep anything detailed in mind.

Suddenly, Lucario leaps back.

"AAAAAAAAUUUURAAAAAAA," Lucario bellows in a drawn out attack animation, "SSSSPHEEEEEREEEEE!"

A very familiar animation appears as CGI swirls around the Lucario's body, culminating in a sphere of bluish fire, flying directly into the screen with The Unintelligible nowhere in sight. The next shot, the poor Kricketune is lying on the ground, his body blackened from the attack that had somehow hit him.

"Watch the power of aura!" Lucario says with a sardonic smile, the voice clip recycled from a previous episode.

"Watch the power of POWER!" Dusknoir replies with his amazing wit, "Makuhita the Unintelligent, ATTACK!"

"Uh, duh?" the Makuhita says. He then rushes up to Lucario and nearly punches him in the face.

"You know, that's the 714th swing you've taken at me, and the 714th time you've missed, including that time I was shrunk down to microscopic size," Lucario replies with a snicker as he sidesteps, "Just saying, maybe you should rethink your strategy?"

"THINK!?" the Makuhita yells with anger, steam coming out where his ears should be, "I HATE THAT!"

"Ha ha, you fool!" Dusknoir laughs menacingly, "Pointing out his stupidity only makes him dumber!

The sumo continues to attack as Lucario avoids the next set of attacks without problem, a single shade of yellow covering the sumo's normally nuanced body in order to save the animators work when coloring. Lucario stops himself for a moment as he yawns and taps the forehead of his opponent, the Makuhita becoming even more enraged by this.

Suddenly, Lucario leaps back.

"AAAAAAAAUUUURAAAAAAA," Lucario bellows in yet another drawn out attack animation, "SSSSPHEEEEEREEEEE!"

A very familiar animation appears as CGI swirls around the Lucario's body, culminating in a sphere of bluish fire, flying directly into the screen with The Unintelligent nowhere in sight. The next shot, the poor Makuhita is lying on the ground, his body blackened from the attack that had somehow hit him.

"Watch the power of aura!" Lucario says with a sardonic smile, the voice clip recycled from a previous episode.

"See, I told you that promoting a mentally challenged person to second-in-command was a bad idea," Joe the Uninterested says while sighing.

"SILENCE!" Dusknoir yells, "You are now Joe the Uninterested! Act the part!"

"Believe me, I wish I could…" Joe the Uninterested says as he looks back at the large tower behind him, "But if that fortress crumbles, so will my hopes and dreams."

Joe the Uninterested suddenly swallows hard and takes a step forward.

"For the sake my son… While there's still a breath in my body…!" Joe the Uninterested says while clenching his fists with determination he never knew he had, the laughter of his only child passing through his mind, "… You shall not pass, Lucario!"

"Oh yeah?" Lucario asks before charging up another attack, "Too bad, 'cause the episode's running short and I still haven't used the AAAAAAAUUUUURAAAAAAAA STOOOOOOOOOOOORM!"

An attack animation very similar to that of the aura sphere appears, only that it ends with the aura around Lucario not forming into a ball, but simply exploding from all around him. At the end of it, Joe the Uninterested is lying on the ground, a new sheen of coal surrounding him.

"Incompetent fools!" Dusknoir screams with an angry huff, "Looks like I'll have to handle this myself!"

The scenery explodes into a mist of blackness as Dusknoir's stomach opens up to reveal a second mouth.

"UNLIMITED POWER!" Dusknoir yells in unison with his second mouth, "WHAT NOW!? PREPARE TO FACE THE UNTOLD WRATH OF-"

Slowly bending over, Lucario picks up a small rock from the ground and throws it at him.

"Ow. Curses!" Dusknoir growls while closing the second mouth and starting to float away, "Retreat! I'll get you next time, Lonesome Wanderer Lucario!"

"Retreat…? But… That means… Our beautiful fortress still stands…" Joe the Uninterested whispers to himself, just barely keeping his consciousness intact as tears start to run down his face, "Finally, I am allowed to look my kid in the eye and not see disappointment…! I do not have to witness his life ebbing away with our every failure…! Perhaps when his severe illness has settled down with the medicine I will purchase, he will even smile and call me 'Father'-"

"AAAAAAAUUUUURAAAAAAAA STOOOOOOOOOOOORM!" Lucario shouts, the fortress in the background exploding into a thousand pieces. From far away, Dusknoir curses.

"Why… Why…!?" Joe the Uninterested weeps, his mind in shambles, "It… It wasn't even in your way…!"

"You should know…" Lucario says as he looks down at Joe the Uninterested, deciding to end on a rhyme, "… Crime doesn't pay!"

Who's that guy with the Aura Sphere?
    Come on, let's hear it, give it a cheer!
    Lonesome
    Wanderer
    LUCARIO!

He's really strong, but not too proud!
    He'll kick you in the gonads, for crying out loud!
    Lonesome
    Wanderer
    LUCARIO!

You are cool, and so are we!
    Watch our show and cool you'll be!
    Lonesome
    Wanderer
    LUCARIO!

Lucario woke up, gasping for air. It took him a moment to realize that he had been dreaming, and quickly looked down at himself before sighing out in relief. For the first time he was happy to see that he was in fact a Lucario, which while not all too pleasing of a concept was at the very least a step up from being a sloppily drawn cartoon version of one.

He looked to his side and saw Zerobi sleeping on the grassy soil next to him. He wondered if maybe she would know.

"Zerobi…!" he whispered while poking her in the side, "Hey, Zerobi…!"

"Mmm…" Zerobi moaned with a tired voice as she stirred, "… What…?"

"Did… Did you ever watch a show called 'Lonesome Wanderer Lucario'?" Lucario asked worriedly.

"Uh… No…" Zerobi mumbled, never having watched TV in her life, "I think I read 'bout it… Why?"

"Just… You know…" Lucario continued while still feeling like he was dreaming, "… Was it any good? It wasn't just some kind of cheap, no-effort drudge by a bunch of hacks trying to squeeze some quick dough out of stupid kids, right?"

"… I dunno… Who cares…?" Zerobi groaned with an exasperated tone before lying down and turning her head away, "C'mon, lemme sleep…"

Lucario continued sitting upright, thinking to himself for a few moments. Carefully, he let his body fall down to the ground once more.

"Just… Just a bad dream…" he repeated to himself and closed his eyes, "… Nothing else…"
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Bad Author! BAD!
    This is the sort of stuff you should put out after a series concluds and make a note about when it happened. People want the conclusion. One or two of theese is okay. MAYBE 3.
    4 is exceess and plot delaying. Missingno. Master got away with it because they gave backstory. This may tell us about piplup and Lucario's body(maybe.) but otherwise this feels like filler. And you are nearing your likit of filler. I recomend either no more filler till the end. Or maybe give the filler a twist so it doesn't feel like filler. Greatly constructed chapter. It just fels like theirs too much filler. Unless this is right before the final battle. By filler I mean chapters with little plot value. It was funny and entertaining though. I don't feel like you picked the best timing. I'm just going in circles now aren't I? Let me post this so it doesn't take up half the page.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

This the aquabats song awesome forces:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4sL0w3SHM
    and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post14945242

Well, that happened, atleast know we know why piplup was so enthralled with Lucario/Ethan. Seeing your favorite superhero makes you rather... weird.

Anyway I hope it makes it self relevant to the plot somehow, the other updates actually revealed more of what we didn't see.

Keep the chapters coming tho, I do rather enjoy them.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

Time, there's never enough of it but it's always there to waste.
    -Azurus

Can someone translate what the Kricketune said? Google translate is not helping.

Chapter 54

No Man's Land

"Celadon City…" Zerobi said quietly as Lucario stood and stared, "… No Man's Land."

After only two weeks of traveling, Lucario felt a certain appreciation over the fact that they had reached their destination fairly quickly this time. Hitching a ride in a truck on Route 17, they had managed to get back some of the time they had lost from the fighting and subsequent recovery. They had been forced to continue on foot as Route 16 had been shut down due to unstable roads, something Lucario realized was a bit of an understatement when they had come across massive craters and rocky debris blocking the way. He imaged they were most likely remnants from all the fighting surrounding No Man's Land, smiling at the fitting name for what had looked very much like a battlefield.

The rooftops of No Man's Land stood gleaming in the sunset, and were the only parts that could be viewed from the outside. While they had been able to see the tops of some of the taller buildings for quite some time, it was only now they realized that actually getting there would not be so simple. Before them stood a dense forest of massive trees, trunks wide and crowns high. Growing in thick clusters, they stood like a natural barrier, preventing anyone from passing through. Zerobi and Lucario began to wander around the outskirts of the woods, trying to find a good spot to squeeze in through.

"To be honest," Lucario muttered while almost tripping over a root sticking out of the ground, "I thought that whole 'Celadon' thing was going to turn out to be a metaphor, or something."

"The forest shouldn't be this expansive," Zerobi replied, barely recognizing their surroundings and trying to figure out where they were, "I was here on a class trip a couple of years ago, and things weren't nearly this bad."

"You sure?" Lucario asked, surprised to hear Zerobi talking about her past and even more so at the prospect of Pokémon going on class trips, "A couple of years… Trees don't grow that fast."

"You kidding?" Zerobi said and smirked in response, "I've seen sis make dust go into full bloom in a second. For grass-types, this is nothing."

A few minutes later, they were able to find a path that had thinner growth and led deeper into the forest. There were still plenty of trunks and bushes blocking them, but both Lucario and Zerobi were slim and agile enough to traverse the rough terrain. As they went further in, the air was beginning to turn heavy with rank odors from various plants and berries, making it harder to breathe as Lucario felt nauseous.

"Feels like some kind of fortress," Zerobi said, a light case of claustrophobia setting in due to the cramped and humid environment, "You think they might've planted all this to keep out intruders?"

"If so, it's doing a pretty bad job at it," Lucario said, amused at the thought of someone as bulky as Raikou or Entei trying to press through the compact area, "We're already halfway there, and no problems so far."

"I could get used to that," Zerobi grunted as she used her claws to cut through a particularly dense collection of vines in their way, "The last time we went to a city, we ended up fighting it. You, uh, realize that's not going to happen this time, right?"

"Definitively," Lucario replied with a confident nod, "The strongest Pokémon in the world have all gathered there, and from the aura I'm sensing I can tell you that's not a joke. With this many, we'd get murdered in an instant."

"Just tell me when you sense Mew…" Zerobi whispered, worried that someone might be listening in on them, "… And stay under the cloak… And if anyone asks, my codename's Weavile and yours is-"

"Lucario," Lucario responded while patting her back, noticing how tense it had become, "We've gone over this… A lot. Honestly, I was mostly worried about sneaking in undetected, but thanks to this huge forest, no one's going to-

"HEY! YOU!" a loud, skittish voice suddenly sounded behind them. Lucario flinched and instinctively held his arms in front of him, Zerobi spinning around to see where the noise had come from. To her surprise, she saw nothing but the path they had made to get there. She felt a tap on her shoulder, and saw Lucario quietly pointing upwards.

Above them was a Pokémon, hanging upside down with his tail coiled around a branch. Both Lucario and Zerobi recognized the Pokémon as a Mankey, the bitter memory stinging Lucario's face like tiny scratches and reminding him to not drop his guard. He had been able to beat up quite a few of the fuzzy balls before, but knew how vicious they could get when in numbers.

"I haven't seen you two before…" the Mankey spoke with an angry glare directed at them, "… Are you trying to get into No Man's Land!?"

Lucario and Zerobi looked at each other for a moment, wondering just how badly they had been busted.

"… Yeah?" Lucario replied carefully, getting ready to jump up and pull the hairy Pokémon down to where his fists could reach it.

"In that case…" the Mankey said before dropping down from the trees and landing in front of them, "… Let me be the first to welcome you to our humble home! I saw you enter the premises and thought- I mean, if you're here to join the revolution, you should go talk to Z- No, wait, there was something else I needed to-"

The small chatterbox kept talking as Lucario stood and stared, Zerobi sighing out in relief while Lucario fastened his guard and covered his face again. The Mankey smiled and reached out to shake their hands before suddenly pulling its hand away, digging around in the fur on its back.

"I just remembered, I need to take your names!" the Mankey continued as it dragged a sheet of paper out of its hairy backside, "What are they?"

"… Lucario?" Lucario answered, now more confused than worried as he slowly lowered his hands.

"Weavile," Zerobi said determinedly, hoping Lucario would realize that they were no longer in any danger.

"Wait, let me guess - Born and bred in captivity, recently escaped?" the Mankey asked as it displayed outstretched arms in triumph, "Don't worry, there's no police inside! Now that you're here, you're free to pick any name you want for yourselves!"

"… All right, then. I guess I'll be Ethan, and she'll be Ze-" Lucario said, but was cut off as Zerobi quickly stepped in front of him.

"Oh, honey!" Zerobi burst out with a nervous tone while putting her sharp claws dangerously close to Lucario's mouth, "You really should not be using our private nicknames for each other in public! It's embarrassing!"

"Oh…" the Mankey exclaimed as it fell quiet, suddenly realizing the implications and jumping a bit, "Oh! Don't mind me, I won't judge or- I'll just, uh, put you down as your species so you can go inside and get acquainted with the rest- Maybe not like that, but…"

They watched as the very embarrassed Mankey hastily scurried up the branches and disappeared inside the canopies, hearing the rustling of leaves grow fainter as it leaped further away. When she was certain they were alone, Zerobi turned towards Lucario with a vicious stare.

"What the hell is your problem!?" she nearly shouted, growing even more tense after what had happened as Lucario smiled mischievously.

"Well, 'honey', I couldn't prove that I'm the real Ethan even if I wanted to…" Lucario explained while trying his best to sound clever, "… And, in case you weren't listening, there's no police here, so you're not in any trouble with the law."

"Great idea, let's take as many unnecessary risks as we can!" Zerobi hissed sarcastically, aware that the police were not the only ones that would want her dead, "Listen - I'm Weavile, you're Lucario and we're friends. Take it easy or that last part's going to be another lie."

"Man, you're nervous," Lucario chuckled while ignoring the fact that he had been one second away from knocking the friendly Mankey into submission, "Relax. I'm sure it'll be fine. Looks like we're guests here, after all."

As they continued walking, the forest was beginning to clear out the closer they got to the city, the jungle-like environment transforming into a regular forest and finally becoming nothing but a small collection of trees.

"So… No Man's Land, huh?" Zerobi mumbled, once more failing to imagine the concept of a city with only Pokémon, "What're you expecting?"

"Can't be the same underground dugout as before," Lucario replied, remembering the revolution's previous lodgings and feeling glad that they had yet to run into any traps or ambushes, "But it IS a warzone. You should've brought some heavy duty boots, because we might have to wade through a river of blood just to get-"

"Somehow, I don't think that's probable… Or possible," Zerobi interrupted, wanting to keep the thoughts of blood distant. If the Pokémon were as powerful as had been said, she hoped her self-preservation would make it easier to keep her urges in check to avoid getting beaten to death by an angry mob.

"I think… I think you're right…" Lucario whispered in surprise as they finally crossed the last wall of bushes and officially entered No Man's Land.

The sight was too much for either of them to comprehend. Before them was the foundation of a regular city, but one that had been completely altered is so many ways it could hardly even be called as such anymore. The road had been ripped out of its foundation in seemingly random areas, leaving several spots of soil and growing grass. Skyscrapers lay toppled on the side, having been segmented into several different houses despite the rooms inside being entirely vertical. The buildings that were still intact were connected to one another through extremely long vines that came from trees growing right in the middle of the pavement. Between two of the buildings directly ahead were vines that had a strange formation to them, almost like a net. They blocked the evening sun and cast a shade on the ground in front of them, a shadow in the shape of pawprint that Zerobi could read as "No Man's Land."

And that was only the environment. Pokémon of every type and species were swarming the area, half of them so strange Lucario could scarcely believe his own eyes. A loud blast sounded as a Pokémon that looked like a living rock jumped up and smashed down into the pavement, cracking it even further. A small section was bent from the impact as another Pokémon with a shield for a head suddenly tackled it, snapping it loose. At the same time, a large mushroom moved to the impact site and started shaking itself, letting a thick cloud of yellow spores dwindle down on it.

Not really understanding what was happening, Lucario heard a sound from above and realized the ground was not the only crowded place. Birds, insects and something that looked like soaring balloons with tentacles were circling the buildings, the roof of which had been covered by branches like a bird's nest. There were also a few wingless Pokémon climbing the vines between the buildings, spitting vertigo in the face. Clinging to the wall next to a window, Lucario saw three purple Pokémon with translucent wings, all gossiping between one another about something called a Beedrill that was apparently very charming. One of them let go and flew down to a truck that lay overturned to the side, covered in many segments of green and orange shells. Slowly petting one of the green shells, it suddenly started moving and appeared to grow two eyes from out of nowhere.

"Whoa…" Lucario gasped, astonished and curious. He wanted to see what was going on, and began moving towards the truck.

"Lucario…" Zerobi whispered while lightly tapping Lucario's shoulder in warning.

"I know, right!?" Lucario burst out in amazement, thinking Zerobi had to be as stunned as he was. He kept walking closer to try to make out what was happening to the green shell, when suddenly he felt his right leg sink through the ground.

"Ow!" a meek voice sounded from beneath him, making his already strained composure shatter. He tumbled forward and retained his balance by hopping a few times on his left leg, turning around to see what the hell had just happened.

He noticed that the ground he had walked across looked slightly different from the rest. He had been too busy admiring everything to notice it, but he had stepped into a passage of newly dug soil which now had a big hole in it. Suddenly, the cylindrical head of a creature popped up from underground, eyes glistening with tears. Its brown fur was fuzzy and dirty, and it had a large pink nose.

"That hurt! Don't step on me!" the head whined, looking at Lucario with a pleading expression.

"D-Don't dig a pitfall in the middle of the road!" Lucario stammered as his poise returned, "I could've twisted my ankle, you know!"

"A pitfall…?" the head asked quietly while pitching slightly to the side in confusion, "No, no, I'm working on the canal! You know, so the water-types can go into the forest?"

"Right…" Lucario muttered, wondering why a creature such as the Floatzel he had fought would require water to get by. The water-type had displayed perfectly mobility on the ground before Lucario had shoved his face into it.

"Forgive my friend. He's new around here, and he's never seen a Diglett before," Zerobi chimed in with a wave of her hand, making the Diglett turn its head around to look at her. Quickly it looked back at Lucario, apparently eager to say something, but stopped itself short in the last second.

"Wow… You look strong!" the Diglett said in admiration, "You should go help out the roadworkers!"

"Sorry, but we're kind of busy," Zerobi continued as Lucario was too busy to answer, crouched over and examining the Diglett to figure out what the rest of its body looked like, "We're looking for someone."

"Oh? Hmm…" the Diglett said quietly while thinking to itself, "… Well, if he's here, you'll eventually find him, 'cuz no one ever leaves! Good luck to both of you!"

The Diglett dug itself underground again, Lucario giving off a disappointed gruff as he had just started seeing the neck of the Pokémon. He reached out with his senses and realized the Diglett had been fairly weak, wondering what someone like that was doing in No Man's Land. At the same time, he realized that there was another aura deep underground, this one massively powerful and strangely familiar.

"Was… Was that a threat?" Zerobi asked quietly, suddenly worried that getting out of No Man's Land would be more difficult than getting in.

"Nah," Lucario replied with a shrug as he tried to identify the strong aura, which was far more intense than anything inside the actual city, "I could've easily kicked that thing like a football, no problem."

"Not that, I mean…" Zerobi started before sighing deeply, letting the uneasy feelings seep out of her, "… Nothing to do about it now, I guess. Do you sense Mew yet?"

Lucario shook his head. Whatever the powerful aura underground was, it did not remind him of Mew in the least.

"No way, she's not here yet?" Zerobi asked, thinking that would be rather astounding considering she flew and they mostly walked, "Or… Has she already left?"

"She might just have transformed into a different kind of Pokémon, or she's hiding her real aura…" Lucario answered and realized he had not thought the whole plan through, "… If not, we'll have to ask Zoroark. Either way, Mew should be able to sense me without problem, so she'll most likely be the one who finds us."

"Great, I thought we went here to get away from all the waiting…" Zerobi muttered before looking towards a Donphan rolling by with an interested stare, "… Want to look around a bit more while we still can?"

"Yeah… Oh, yeah!" Lucario exclaimed as he grabbed a hold of Zerobi's arm, "There's a place I really want to check out! Come on!"

Lucario dragged Zerobi away further into the city, running past the roadworkers and almost stepping on the Diglett again. In an instant they had blended in among the other Pokémon, and were indistinguishable from the general population of No Man's Land. Indistinguishable to everyone, except for a lone figure sitting in the window of a building not far away. Idly stroking through his long red hair, he wonders who the new cloaked arrivals are, all while trying to figure out why the taller one seems so familiar…

Sweet, finally made it, this promises to be a most interesting scenario. Hopefully Lucario won't give them away with his lack of general pokemon knowledge or spontaneous nature.

Don't worry "red hair" the fates shall reveal that soon enough.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

-Azurus

This is great. Red hair is obviously zoroark. Now congrats on the work of a introduction of where the final showdown will obviously take place.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

Chapter 55

Mysterious Stranger Gengar

Once more running his claws through his red hair, Zoroark felt an inexplicable itch in the back of his head. His better judgment told him not to needlessly worry about every single new arrival that came into No Man's Land, while his paranoia insisted that cloaked creatures were always those that have something to hide.

Zoroark let a bothersome sigh escape him. He had more important things to be thinking about, and knew he was just using the new visitors as an excuse to shun his duties. The vacation he had taken after narrowly surviving the encounter with Entei had been far too short, forcing him back into work before any of his limbs had fully healed. He cracked his right wrist a few times. It still did not feel quite the same, but at the very least it was not as bad as when it had been but a bag of tendon and shattered bones. He was reluctant when it came to letting the already suspicious Chansey take another look at it, but preferred it over his precious hand requiring amputation in the future.

Looking down upon the city of No Man's Land, Zoroark spotted a Gabite and Quagsire carrying boxes of sand through the streets. They had found many such boxes randomly strewn about the city, and later dug a hole by the outskirts which they planned on filling up with pure, clean sand for all the ground-types to enjoy. Zoroark loathed sand more than anything else, but had allowed it to be done for their sake. He took comfort in the fact that he would at least not have to get near the thing, and hoped they would figure out a way to keep the sand out of people's eyes should a storm ever pick up.

Thoughts moving on to preparations for poor weather conditions, Zoroark suddenly heard a few light knocks on the door.

"Come in," he said coolly, knowing there was only one Pokémon in the world that would knock instead of just entering the room. As he had predicted, the door slid open to reveal the large tuft of white cotton he had come to recognize so well over the past few years. Zoroark's flowing red hair was no slouch in the size department, but was still no competition to the small Whimsicott who was literally more hairdo than body. Those shameless enough to nestle up against the soft texture would find that the body underneath was nearly completely wooden, save for a few joints and amber-colored eyes that could apparently be seen in the dark. Zoroark was not certain about the last part, having had perfect night vision for as long as he could remember.

"Sir…" the Whimsicott whispered quietly as he peeked inside from the open door, "… You have a visitor, one that demands to see you in private. Should I send her away?"

"Depends. Is she a legendary with bloodshot eyes and an angry snarl?" Zoroark responded immediately, wondering if the naďve shrub would catch on to him for once. A subtle tilt of the head and thoughtful expression told him that was not going to be the case.

"Hmm…" the Whimsicott mumbled, "Allow me a moment to verify-"

"A joke," Zoroark interrupted him while holding up a hand in a stopping gesture, "I told you before, everyone is allowed entry, always. Send her in and leave."

"Leave, sir?" the Whimsicott asked while showing uneasiness. Ever since Entei's assault during a time when the Whimsicott had been out on the field, he was always nervous when it came to leaving Zoroark alone with unfamiliar Pokémon.

"Go…" Zoroark mumbled, trying to think of some random menial task to send the Whimsicott out on to give him and his guest some peace and quiet, "… Go check on the canal work."

"Yes, sir!" the Whimsicott replied, still worried but glad to at least have a destination. His head disappeared behind the door one more, as a different head suddenly poked through it. Apparently it was only a moment's hesitation, as the new arrival quickly looked back before fully entering the room.

- - - - - - - - -

"Hey, I'm sensing something!" Lucario said triumphantly while turning his head to the side, expecting the eager face of Zerobi to be looking back at him, awaiting his news. Instead, he was met by the sight of her with her face deep in an occult magazine they had found earlier in an abandoned store. She had pointed out that the store was not as much abandoned as it was currently serving as a home for Bidoof and Rattata, but Lucario had not paid notice to anything but the fact that there had been no food left on the shelves.

"Mew, I presume?" Zerobi mumbled slowly, caught up in an especially interesting passage about the legendary lake trio and lifting her head a little. There were many different Pokémon walking all around them, so she decided to keep her voice down.

"Do you see me dancing in joy?" Lucario asked, grumpily trying to get Zerobi to look at him, "No, it's… It's kind of hard to explain."

"Something to do with that thing underground again, then?" Zerobi asked in return, this time lowering the magazine and idly watching Lucario through the corner of her eye.

"No… I mean, yes… I mean…" Lucario tried to answer before pointing in front of him, "Something similar to it has just appeared way over there."

Zerobi looked in the direction he was pointing. Three very small Pokémon seemed to be playing tag in one of the grassy sections of the road, two of them losing miserably as long appendages suddenly stretched out of the third and grabbed a hold of the others.

"Not that! It's much further away!" Lucario insisted as he pointed past the playing Pokémon.

"Outside the city?" Zerobi muttered while longing for the days when she too had been able to have fun with others, "How's it similar? Is it something powerful or something familiar?"

"… Both," Lucario responded after a second of thinking, "And not only that, but… They're similar in other ways, too. There's a certain likeness between them."

"You've got that right," Zerobi snickered as she started reading her occult magazine again, "Neither are Mew, neither are actually in the city and neither should be diverting our attention."

"Don't talk to me about diverted attention!" Lucario shouted angrily as he tried knocking the magazine out of Zerobi's claws, the agile dark-type casually moving to the side while continuing to read a section regarding Uxie and his alleged ability to erase memories.

"While no one actually remembers him doing it, we consider this to be a sign of forgetfulness which further supports our theory…" Zerobi read out loud before throwing away the magazine with a disappointed expression, "… Wow. I can't believe I used to read this drudge."

She turned her head to the side, expecting the annoyed face of Lucario to be looking back at her, awaiting his relief now that she had gotten rid of the paper. Instead, she saw him running off somewhere, and immediately became painfully aware of just how much he and probably she too stood out in the crowd while wearing a cloak.

Running up to him, she noticed that he had stopped in front of a peculiar store. Every other room on this street was bustling with Pokémon going in and out of them, while this one looked both dirty and deserted. Looking up and squinting her eyes to read the sign, she understood why this was the case.

"Restaurant…" she read out loud before turning towards Lucario, who had a very excited look on his face, "You don't honestly think it's still in business? No one but you would ever even touch this stuff."

"Which means there should still be plenty in storage," Lucario answered happily as he licked his lips. Ever since they had left the Meganium, Lucario had dreamed of once more wrapping his tongue around tasty food. Without an ounce of hesitation, he opened the doors to the restaurant and went inside.

- - - - - - - -

Zoroark examined the new arrival carefully. The Pokémon that entered was a Pachirisu, a name he hoped he would not be asked to pronounce anytime soon. The short blue stripe running down the Pachirisu's head showed Zoroark that she was female, and her unrecognizable smell told him she had only been in No Man's Land for a few days at most.

Despite everything from the yellow cheeks to the long bushy tail looking like normal, he could immediately tell this was not a regular Pachirisu. The few he had met had been skittish creatures, bouncing around with silly grins across their faces. This one, however, had a very serious expression, looking both left and right as if expecting to be pounced by something from the shadows. Zoroark might have considered this suspicious had it been anyone else, but felt confident enough in his combat abilities to not have anything to fear from a tiny electric squirrel.

"No need to be so nervous…" Zoroark said as he jumped down from his perch by the window, "You wanted to see me about something?"

The Pachirisu felt her pulse speed up, realizing just how bad it would be if she appeared to be fearful or unsure of herself. She looked Zoroark deep into the eyes while straightening her back in order to gain back authority, something easier said than done considering that Zoroark had just become twice as tall after standing up.

"Please, do not be afraid at what I am about to show you," the Pachirisu said as clearly as she could, "I mean you no harm."

Not giving Zoroark a chance to respond, the Pachirisu closed her eyes and braced herself for what was to come. She had spent a long time analyzing the structure of the building, knowing the exact location of every unwanted viewpoint and potential entryway so she could use her powers to seal them off. In this closed off environment, she was finally free to reveal herself.

- - - - - - - - -

Darkness filled the inside of the restaurant. The evening sun seeped in through a window behind Lucario and allowed him to see a little, but it was more difficult to do so the further in he looked. The light bulbs had long since faded, and remained as untouched as the tables and chairs they had once illuminated. All in all, Lucario was surprised to see that the store was not as big as he had expected and had a long bar table at the end, reminding him of a pub rather than a restaurant. He was also surprised to find out that the joint was not empty.

At the very edge of the bar table, sitting in the darkest corner of the restaurant was a Pokémon. Lucario could not tell the exact form or shape of the creature, as it was cloaked in a purple haze which seemed to distort everything around it. The shroud gave it an air of mystery, and Lucario was glad to see that while the stranger was larger than he was, at least it was not nearly as big as one of the legendary dogs.

Letting his eyes drift, Lucario spotted something he recognized on the table in front of the mysterious stranger. It was a half empty bottle, the label of which said "Berrybrew Pecha". Lucario remembered hating this brand of alcohol in particular and shook his head to clear his mind. Berries were the absolutely last thing he wanted to think about right now.

"That's a Gengar," Zerobi stated, having better eyesight in the dark compared to her companion. There was a tinge of worry to her voice as she remembered killing a Gastly in the past, and realized how bad it would be if this Gengar had any relation to it. Not wanting to take the risk, she quietly slipped outside as Lucario moved further in.

"Hey, you!" Lucario shouted as his stomach growled lightly, "Where's all the food kept?"

The Gengar remained completely still, the gas enveloping him swirling a bit.

"Ain't nothing for you here, kid," a deep monotone voice emanated from the ghost-type, "Berry deposit's two blocks further."

"Not that…" Lucario muttered before taking another step forward, "I mean, human food!"

This time the Gengar lifted his head a bit, or at least what Lucario assumed to be his head behind the thick purple mist.

"Spoilt… Thrown out…" the Gengar explained while staring up into the ceiling, "… And buried."

The realization hit Lucario like a stack of bricks, and his face fell flat. Over and over again he had promised himself that once he got to No Man's Land, he would loot them of every grain of rice until he was sated. His hopes shattered and his mood distraught, the bottle of alcohol that stood on the bar table was beginning to look very captivating.

He had never been much of a drinker, but after all the crap that had gone down since becoming a Lucario, he felt it was time to at least give it a try. He approached the strange Pokémon who paid no attention to him, continuing to face the ceiling as if he had been left alone again. Quietly yet swiftly, Lucario reached out for the bottle.

The Gengar's hand had grasped Lucario's arm before he could even touch the drink.

"I wouldn't," the ghost-type said coolly, an icy cold pair of eyes staring down Lucario from behind the veil of smoke. The Gengar's hand was cold and wet to the touch, refusing to let go as Lucario tugged against it. A feeling of urgency struck Lucario as he reached out with his senses to determine just how strong the Pokémon he had pissed off was, but was thrown off track as another more important aura instantly flooded his mind.

- - - - - - - - -

Zoroark's eyes widened as the Pachirisu's feet suddenly started growing. Her ears bent themselves to the side while her eyes expanded. Her mouth was pushed downwards on her face as the yellow pouches of electricity retracted themselves and disappeared from sight. The long bushy tail shrugged once, letting a large amount of white and blue hairs dwindle to the ground and leaving a thin, almost skeletal pink tail with a bulbous end behind. With the tail followed the rest of the body, shedding every strand of hair as only a fine pink fur underneath remained.

- - - - - - - - -

"It's Mew! She's in the city!" Lucario stammered in shock as he turned around, only now realizing that Zerobi had not followed him inside. Suddenly, the grip around Lucario's arm tightened. Turning his head back towards the strange Pokémon, he was about to apologize in order to get out of there as quickly as possible.

His plans instantly dropped as he saw the full face of the Gengar, having burst out towards him from the hazy gas. Gone was every notion of peacefulness, the icy stare having turned into a fiery glare of hatred, searing his own eyes with intensity alone. A mouth had appeared on the face, large and sharp teeth gnashing together as if belonging to a predator moments away from the killing blow. Letting his arm go limp, Lucario felt his knees grow weak in terror as he slumped down on the floor.

With an annoyed gruff, the Gengar suddenly let go of him and disappeared behind the cloud of smoke again. Zerobi came inside to see what was happening, when Lucario suddenly stood up and ran for the exit, not wanting to question the stranger's change of heart or ever see him again.

"A fight!? Why!?" Zerobi whined desperately as they sprinted outside, regretting that she had left Lucario to his own devices for even an instant.

"Never mind that, I sense Mew!" Lucario said as he almost bumped into a Pokémon that looked like a tree, "She was in disguise, but now she's herself again! I know where!"

Lucario jumped over a Pokémon that looked like a budding flower, almost landing on another one by mistake. Zerobi used her superior speed to quickly run ahead of Lucario and stand in front of him with arms outstretched.

"Way to not draw attention to yourself, moron!" Zerobi hissed angrily, "Slow down! Pretend that you're jogging, or something!"

Halting himself, Lucario felt his heart rate grow less frequent and his breathing come in more naturally. The horrible sight he had seen in the restaurant vanished and replaced itself with the joyous thought of seeing Mew again.

"Yeah, you're right," Lucario said as he grabbed a hold of Zerobi's arm and started moving again, "Come on, she's this way!"

- - - - - - - - -

"Do you know what I am, Zoroark?" Mew asked calmly after her transformation had finished, and Zoroark could not help but swallow hard. He did. It was a form he had attempted to imitate before, yet one he had never imagined it to be so radiant and colorful. He felt his breath coming in faster, only faintly remembering that he had prepared himself for a situation like this, wishing he would have been given a better warning.

"U-Unexpected…?" Zoroark stammered in shock, trying his best to settle down and compose himself, "No, I mean… The legendary Mew… To what end do I owe this great honor?"

"You must cease this revolution!" Mew pleaded, an earnest and serious expression on her face, "It will lead to war, with people and Pokémon dying every day due to meaningless fighting!"

"… It is all but meaningless, Mew," Zoroark replied as he forced himself to face her directly, feeling disappointed by her request, "Humanity has wrongfully dominated this world, with Pokémon falling under their control like animals… If we must fight to show that we will not submit, we will!"

"No species is capable of dominating the entire world… We need each other!" Mew continued with determination, "Only if we cannot co-exist do we run the risk of not surviving!"

"That was once the case, but no more. Are you oblivious to humanity's progress?" Zoroark said, growing more agitated as he waved his right arm around, "They have already taken away our freedom without any remorse, what will they claim next? Our bodies as food? Our skin as clothing? Our very heads as ornaments?"

"… What an absurd thought! They would not do that!" Mew exclaimed with a stunned expression, surprised that Zoroark was expecting such unspeakably horrifying scenarios, "A species as diverse as humanity would never accept such a heartless consensus!"

"… You know nothing," Zoroark growled bitterly, the memories of his childhood burning like a white hot flame all over his body, "Nothing of the plight of us normal Pokémon. If you did, you legendaries would have stopped this from ever happening."

"Right now, the first thing that needs to be stopped is the impending war…" Mew said quietly before raising her voice and intentionally letting her demeanor grow wild, "And if you will not co-operate… That means stopping you!"

Much to Mew's surprise, Zoroark did not even flinch in response to her outburst. She had hoped to rationalize with him, or intimidate him to the point where he would at the very least consider it, but the dark-type showed no signs of weakness. Clueless on what to do, Mew eagerly awaited Zoroark's response to see where this encounter would bring them next.

At that moment, something struck her from behind. The impact transformed into blinding pain in the blink of an eye, Mew gasping in shock as Zoroark pierced her with his claws. She was still unable to sense his aura, but had kept her eyes on him the whole time and still not seen him move before feeling the stab.

"Let's not get too hasty…" Zoroark whispered menacingly, an unexpected sense of satisfaction coursing through him. His insides roared in triumph, the feelings of betrayal that had been dormant for so long finally sated as he saw the small legendary slump down on the floor. He basked in the glory of the sensation, but before long his more rational side took over once again.

"… Oh, damn, I guess I'm the hasty one for doing this?" Zoroark chuckled before feigning a confident smile, "Sorry, but if you had attacked first, I doubt I would have stood a chance. Can't have you running off, either."

Lying immobile on the floor, Mew had no idea what was going on. She had tried to fly away in reflex after the attack, but instead she had fallen to the ground like an old acorn. Her mind was beginning to feel sluggish as the pain running through her immediately dulled, replacing itself with a tingling sensation she had never felt before. It spread throughout her body and grew stronger by the second, and as it did the pain started to return. At the same time, her outer senses faded off quickly, leaving her with nothing but her basic five senses to rely on.

"Do you know of the ability 'Miracle Eye'? What I used just know is something I like to call 'Disaster Eye'," Zoroark said with an amused expression as he let an empty vial roll back and forth between his claws, "It's reversed, you see. I infused my dark-type aura into you, effectively removing your ability to control your psychic powers."

Mew tried to gasp in terror, only to realize nothing was happening. Her diaphragm felt so heavy, so sluggish. She could not get it to contract against her lungs even a little, it was like pushing against a large boulder that refused to budge. Horror struck her mind, and only now did she realize that she was no longer breathing. She panicked and tried to scream, only able to let out a small whimper.

"It will eventually pass, and when it does I will let you go," Zoroark explained in order to calm her down, wondering why she was making such a scene, "For now, let us continue this discussion in a more relaxed environment. Not much else to do, might as well hear me out, right?"

Chest burning for air, the only thing still within Mew's control was her tail, which was currently torn between helping her up and reaching out towards Zoroark's neck to make him share her fate. Although she knew that her feeble strength would deny her of that kind of revenge, she could think of nothing else that might soothe her overwhelming feelings of hysteria.

She could not believe what was happening. She had defeated Mewtwo through willpower, she had survived the monstrous Deoxys through strength, and now she was dying the death of a stillborn fetus.

"First, let me start by saying that I truly respect you, and just to be talking to you…" Zoroark started talking before noticing that Mew's movements were starting to weaken, a pang of worry striking him, "… Mew? Can… Can you hear me?"

Trembling in spasms, Mew felt as if every nerve in her body had come alive and was busy committing suicide. She tried breathing in one more time, her already unwilling muscles refusing to work due to the lack of oxygen and her frail body could do nothing to stop her from choking to death. Every bodily section she had subdued and controlled since birth was reminding her of its existence, joining the hundreds of simultaneous thoughts rushing through her head. Was this truly the end? Could all this have been avoided? Would anyone even know of her passing? Why had she sensed Lucario earlier? How had Zoroark moved so quickly?

"Wh-What's happening!?" Zoroark gasped in shock, finally realizing that something had gone very wrong. His expression of worry and regret did nothing to settle Mew's heavy emotions, tears running down the side of her face. She felt frustrated that there was nothing she could do, wishing she had just ripped the building from its foundation to immediately force Zoroark into submission. Her mind was turning foggy, but she could not prevent it. An equal amount of regret coursed through her at the thought of leaving the world the way it was, not having been able to even try to realize her dream before dying. Her chest burned in agony, and everything was fading away. However, the strongest emotion of all was the one that had gripped her entire body, keeping her from fighting, moving or even breathing.

Fear

Mew felt her eyelids fall, mind blank as everything clouded itself in endless darkness.

Oh Zoroark, you fool, don't you know Mew only exists because shes psychic? If she dies you won't even have pokemon on your side.

Hmm, I wonder if we will see Gengar again, and under what circumstances he would show.

Kind of ironic that Mew said that, that would never happen, in response to what Zoroark said considering that hunter Lucario fought awhile ago.

Looking forward to the next one ShadedSkies, remember, people like these stories.

-Azurus

Kinda sad that Zoroark unintentionally killed her. I always thought Mew would die in an epic fight against a captured legendary Pokemon, ...or childbirth.

But whatever, maybe she won't die, maybe she's just unconscious... Nah, she dead.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
    MEW CANT BE DEAD!
    YOU *utters a stream of cursewords so foul no one in the house lives.*
    Please tweak your story, reincarnate mew, anything.
    You are on the verge of losing lots of readers.
    This story is too griping. Please DON'T LET MEW DIE!
    *BLEEP BLEEPING BLEEPER BLEEPING BLEEP!!!!!*
    If you agree about mew, you should voice up in a petition.
    No flaming. Give somthing you like as well.
    Or a theory.
    Zoroark is a ditto.

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

@Rotomknight might wanna shorten the Nooooo bit, it's a little excessive. Anyway, to quote myself again, as he has shown time and time again, he can kill off anyone without interrupting the flow of the story.

I don't think people were reading for mew, so he's in no danger of that.

It's a shame that Lucarios physical exercise wasn't enough to help, assuming she even tried.

-Azurus

Chapter 56

Docile Shrub Whimsicott

"Come on!" Lucario shouted, rushing up the staircase at a high pace. Zerobi stumbled closely behind, but had trouble keeping up as she did not have much experience when it came to climbing stairs.

"H-How many more f-floors…?" she panted and immediately stopped as her cloak was caught up on one of the railings. She carefully pulled it free and was glad to not have tripped and broken her neck from the shock.

"Doesn't matter, we're going to the top!" Lucario exclaimed as he continued higher up to where he had previously sensed Mew. Her aura had disappeared a couple of moments earlier, something he thought meant that she had transformed again and was about to go back into hiding. He would have to hurry, or they would miss her completely. As luck would have it, the building they were in was quite empty save for a few lone individuals here and there, and it helped him keep Mew's location fresh in mind.

A minute later, Lucario had made it to the top floor where the staircase ended. Zerobi came up from behind, exhausted and still trying to grasp the concept that they had reached the top of the immensely tall building by running diagonally upwards. The thought mocked her inner senses, and she could understand why there weren't many Pokémon at this height.

"Here, I think," Lucario said with a determined nod before looking around. His confidence waned as he could see that the layout of top floor was anything but simple, twisting corridors and turning passages in every direction. Many doors were scattered about, and Lucario solemnly wished that Mew's aura had not gone away so she would be easier to find.

"You think?" Zerobi repeated with a worried tone, seeing a window a little further away and promising herself not to look out of it. The last thing she needed was to confirm her fears and freak out.

"It's not THAT accurate," Lucario muttered as he examined their surroundings more carefully and counting the amount of doors, "Might've even been the previous floor if we're really out of luck… Damn, this is going to take forever."

"I'll start here and you go there, then," Zerobi said while pointing to her left, feeling impatient and wanting to get out of the sky high construction as quickly as possible, "It's not THAT big. Yell if something happens and if not, we'll switch floors."

"Right," Lucario responded and turned left. There were three doors on each side of the corridor, and it seemed to continue in another direction by the end. Very eager to see Mew, he set off and immediately started checking the rooms behind the doors.

A few minutes into the search, Zerobi was starting to regret her suggestion. Room after room had brought nothing but empty offices, leading her far away from the stairs and into a slithering corridor. Everything looked so much the same that she could have sworn she was going around in circles. The closed off air and symmetrical backdrop made her feel uneasy, wondering how humans could work in such a boring environment. Even the cavern she had spent seven years of her life in seemed more exciting than this.

Sighing deeply after having examined another empty room, she turned a corner and suddenly wished she had not been complaining about the monotonous structure.

Where the corridor turned another corner, the walls and floor were corroded and dented. It was as if something had exploded, a deep indent in the ground where the carpeting had burned up and left nothing but ashy remains behind. Knowing there was no time to waste, she carefully made her way across the burned floor and, to her surprise, saw that the rest of the corridor had been too damaged to continue. Whatever had once been there, it had now been reduced to slag. Sighing deeply at her fruitless search, Zerobi started running back to rejoin Lucario.

"Don't leave me alone…" a whispering moan echoed through the corridor, Zerobi stopping and immediately turning around. Seeing no one, she spun around once more to fully examine her surroundings.

She was all by herself. A shiver ran through her as she looked back and stared at the molten mess behind her. It had been a soft, whimpering voice she had heard many times before, but like always she knew it was just her mind playing tricks on her. Ignoring what she had heard, she kept moving back through the corridor.

Distractedly rounding another corner, she felt herself bump into something. There was no time for her to react as a set of thick knuckles came down upon her head, immediately rendering her unconscious.

Meanwhile on the other side of the building, Lucario grumbled in annoyance. The corridor he had picked seemed to go on forever, and with each empty room he felt like Mew was slipping further away from him. Opening yet another door, he recalled how she had left him on the island of the legendaries without saying anything, almost as if she had been avoiding him on purpose. While at first he had thought Lugia must have filled her head with lies about him to make her run, he had since then come to realize that she was much too smart fall for something that simple. Even if she had, she would have come to talk to him about it, not just go away without saying anything.

Lucario swallowed hard as he came to the most logical conclusion, and a nasty thought hit him. If she really had abandoned him by her own free will, had he made a grave mistake in coming here to find her…?

His mind raced as he opened yet another door and examined the room inside. His thoughts elsewhere, he idly paid notice to the window at the far end, the regular tapestry and familiar smell inside. It was not until he was just about to turn around and search elsewhere that he saw something lying in the middle of the room.

A small, pink creature lay hunched over. Lucario's mind immediately turned to Mew, but this creature's fur was nowhere near as colorful, radiant and outlandish. Appearance-wise it was far more like a stuffed animal of Mew, the colors a little off after years being exposed to the elements. Also, the Mew he knew would never lie down; she was always floating or occasionally sitting. Lucario could at least admire the accuracy of the replica's size, before noticing a trickle of red running down its back.

"Mew…?" Lucario whispered, a cold feeling sweeping over him. He ran up to the puppet and crouched over it, putting his hand over where the red liquid was running down. Immediately, he drew his arm back with a frightened gasp. The red smear over his palm told him two things - The puppet bled, and it was warm beneath its skin.

Bleeding. Wounded. Dead?

"Mew? MEW!" Lucario shouted, grabbing a hold of the tiny legendary and rolling her over. Terror flowing, Lucario choked on his own breath as he saw the face he had come to know so well, still and lifeless. Her eyes were closed and her mouth was halfway open, but those were not the only things that told him something was wrong. There was no aura or purity surrounding her, all that remained was pink ball of hair that looked and felt like someone had just dyed any other Pokémon pink.

Is that what happens when you die?

"Snap out of it!" Lucario continued, wondering why the hell was going on. She was not breathing, had she figured out a way to take in oxygen without using her lungs? Her pulse was gone, was she trying to trick him into going away so she could flee?

Or maybe… Maybe she really was dead?

"You… You can't just…" Lucario said, noticing that his voice was trembling. He could not understand what had happened. Was it too late to do anything about it? She was not breathing, but could he give her CPR with his peculiar snout? Her pulse was gone, but could he give her heart massage without crushing her tiny body? In the end, all he did was and stare at her lifeless body, unable to comprehend what was happening.

It had been a while, but one by one they were slowly returning. A set of vines constricted Lucario's neck, a wounded Rukario lying next to Mew with the tears running down her face still visible in the rain. In every corner of the room were Dragonair, twisting around and shaking uncontrollably. Lucario looked around in terror and despair, a bat-like creature flying past the window outside. Suddenly a high-pitched scream filled his head, the small penguin pleading for his help as he turned his head away and covered his ears-

In an instant, everything vanished. One familiar sensation replaced another as something very painful pierced and spread from Lucario's right side. The pain spiked as something pulled out of him, Lucario gasping and falling over Mew. He hit her with the full weight of is body and worried that he had hurt her, still clinging on to the hope that she was alive. Her body was still warm, but it was not moving. As he tried to get off, he noticed he was just barely able to move, his muscles turning more sluggish by the second. Before he knew it, he could not even lift his head as his arms gave out and he fell onto Mew once more.

A pair of feet suddenly appeared in front of him. Spiky red claws adorned rough grey fur that continued up on a set of legs. As the creature bent over, Lucario felt like he was looking at a twisted version of himself, before the bushy red hair fell down and he knew exactly who it was.

"Z…" Lucario stammered in shock as he felt a fire of hatred ignite in his chest, "Zoro… Ark…"

Zoroark's emerald eyes narrowed as they examined him, the dark-type's stature far less composed than usual. His face looked nervous, not confident. His crouch was sloppy, not steady. His fur was rugged, not sleek.

"Oh, please! What's with the surprised expression?" Zoroark exclaimed with anger, heavy agitation apparent in his voice, "You were expecting a different welcome after what you did the last time!?"

The pain vanishing altogether, Lucario now knew what had happened. He had been stabbed in the side by Zoroark's claws, in the exact spot as the year before. The effect of this attack was less painful but had rendered him completely immobile, and Lucario remembered how the dark-type would coat his claws in liquid that causes paralysis.

"My offer expired a long time ago, I'm afraid," Zoroark huffed while giving a nervous shrug, trying to stay calm but drawing ever closer to the complete opposite, "If you had played your cards and hid your intentions better… Oh, you can't even imagine what I had in store for you…"

A sliver of hope entered Lucario as he thought that maybe Mew had simply been paralyzed as well, but to his sadness he could feel that his heart was still beating. Hers had not been.

"… Mew…" was all Lucario could muster with a croak as he looked up at Zoroark with eyes of sorrow, "… Why…?"

"… How was I supposed to know she couldn't even breathe without psychic abilities?" Zoroark muttered furiously as he turned his back away from Lucario, feeling guilted by the gaze he had been given, "It's absurd! Ridiculous! I've seen Patrat with stronger wills to live!"

He turned back to see that Lucario's body was completely obscuring Mew. Sighing deeply in yet another attempt of settling his nerves, Zoroark walked up to them and pushed Lucario aside with his foot. Lucario helplessly rolled to the side, unable to control himself. His head fell back, his face now completely expressionless. He knew that even if he could speak, he would have nothing to say. Even if he could feel, it did not matter anymore. Mew was dead.

"Years pass without her doing anything, and when I finally decide to fix things myself, she comes out to stop me and gets taken down in one blow…" Zoroark explained as he focused on breathing in and out, at long last starting to feel better about the whole situation, "… Good riddance. What an utter disappointment. And to think I once admired you… Both of you!"

Zoroark pointed accusingly at the two lifeless Pokémon before him, suddenly realizing that neither of them could see him any longer. As Zoroark pondered over what to do next, he heard a set of heavy footsteps outside the door. Had it been any other set of footsteps, he would have hid himself and prepared to incapacitate whoever was to enter once more. However, the owner of these footsteps was of unwavering loyalty, and the only one he felt like he could trust with anything.

The door flew open with a slam, revealing the great Connor standing behind it. Zoroark knew the slam had not been intentional, rather he had been holding back his strength quite a bit as the door had refrained from turning into a pile of splinters. The upper floors were always empty of the regular inhabitants of No Man's Land, so no one but those normally serving him would hear the slam and come to help.

Zoroark smiled. Finally, he felt like he had gained control of the situation again.

"I presume you haven't forgotten about Connor, no?" Zoroark said with a bit more confidence than before as he gently tapped Lucario's open wound with his left foot, sending a shiver through the fighting-type, "He's got experience when it comes to keeping you in captivity, so he will be your host until I have time to ask you what the hell you're doing here. Forgive my hospitality, but as you can see, I'm kind of busy with matters of genuine importance."

Unwillingly frozen in place, Lucario could not help but look at the Conkeldurr that had once been his ally. His large, bulging muscles looked as intimidating as the day they had crushed solid steel, and seemed far more fearsome now that Lucario's skull could be on the receiving end. The strong fighting-type looked at him, and then at Mew. His expression never changed, and he never said a word. Even so, both Zoroark and Lucario could not help but look at him with surprise. Hanging limply from his shoulder like a fine, black coat much too small for the massive Pokémon was none other than Zerobi.

"Zoroark! Zoroark!" a meek voice suddenly peeped as a small pitter-patter filled the room, "Are you hurt!? What happ-"

The noise trailed off as a ball of white fluff came running beside Connor, immediately halting himself at the sight of Mew and Lucario. The Whimsicott recognized both and gasped in shock.

"Wait… Is that…" Zoroark said slowly as he recognized the Weavile that Connor was carrying, immediately remembering the fearsome tales Astrid had told him about her, "She… She's unconscious, right?"

A quiet nod from Connor was his only response, the Whimsicott looking up to see who they were referring to. Also recognizing Zerobi, he fell back in terror, remembering exactly what had been written in the papers regarding the massacre of the Cerulean Cave.

"Good…" Zoroark whispered before swallowing hard, thinking that a rampaging serial killer was the absolutely last thing this crime scene needed, "Listen, those two will probably want me dead when they wake up. Connor, take care of them until I figure out what to do. As for… Mew…"

Zoroark trailed off, curious to see how they would react to him having killed the most popular legendary in the world. Connor had so far followed his every order without ever objecting or even saying a word, surely the death of Mew would not change things? As Zoroark had expected, Connor was not one to hesitate when it comes to orders and bent over to pick up Lucario, who was currently certain he would be popped like a berry between the large Pokémon's fists. As he was thrown onto Connor's shoulder and once saw Mew's lifeless body lying on the floor like a discarded toy, it suddenly did not seem like such a terrible fate.

"Mew…" the Whimsicott whispered sadly, moving up to her as Connor left the room with Zerobi and Lucario hanging from his shoulders. To Zoroark's surprise, tears began to form in the grass-type's eyes. He had not expected such a strong reaction.

"I went too easy on Entei, and almost got killed…" Zoroark mumbled as he turned around, again feeling guilty over what had happened, "Then I go even easier on Mew, and she dies…"

"She… I-I can't believe…" the Whimsicott said shakily as he fell down beside her, "Was there really no other way…? Sir…?"

Zoroark did not answer. Quietly he approached the window at the end of the room and looked out, the Whimsicott sniveling behind him. Everything outside was the same as it had been just a little over an hour ago, before Mew had come to visit. The familiar sight broke down the tensing he had been locked up in. Many conflicting thoughts raced through his mind, remorse over what he had done and fear of what sort of repercussions it might bring, both from the Pokémon of No Man's Land and perhaps even other legendaries. No matter how he looked at the situation, he could not help but imagine a very bleak future.

The Whimsicott's crying did not help in the least.

I wonder if it was Astrid that was the source of the voice Zerobii heard.

Well it certainly seems Mew is dead for good, gosh dangit, Zoroark you are either going to fail miserably or succeed through controlling others by fear in having killed a legendary, which is unlikely as it seems you now doubt your ability to succeed at all.

Man this was good, in a sad sort of way. Keep it up, we need a conclusion.

-Azurus

Whaaa...
    Zerobi is tough, but unable to beat connor. She needs to learn ice punch and faint attack.
    What is the plot completion and chapter completion. (how much is left chapter wise.

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurus View Post
    I wonder if it was Astrid that was the source of the voice Zerobii heard.
    She does hear his voice from time to time, in her nightmares and elsewhere. It just so happened that she heard it when passing through a burned corridor. Must be a coincidence... Or...?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotomknight View Post
    Whaaa...
    Zerobi is tough, but unable to beat connor. She needs to learn ice punch and faint attack.
    What is the plot completion and chapter completion. (how much is left chapter wise.
    40, 60 or 80, depending on how short I make the chapters. Leaning towards 60.

Or...? your not going to tell us, are you?

Why not a happy medium and hit 70? I kid, it will end when it ends but extra length is always nice so long as it's relevant.

-Azurus

Quote Originally Posted by Azurus View Post
    Or...? your not going to tell us, are you?

Why not a happy medium and hit 70? I kid, it will end when it ends but extra length is always nice so long as it's relevant.
    It's not about that, the length is already determined. He wanted to know how many chapters remained, and I don't know how many I'll split what's left into. Depends on how much writing I can get done once our next project has kicked off and I've got to get back to work.

Chapter 57

Silent Brute Conkeldurr

Everything was gone.

What had once been a living being floated around in endless emptiness, thoughtless and unmoving. It could not see, and all was darkness. It could not hear, and all was silence. It could not smell, for it existed nowhere. It could not speak, for no one would respond.

But it could still feel. A gentle, rocking motion disturbed the creature from its eternal sleep. It tried to think, but something inside deterred it. Something inside that was very important. Something inside that had been brought back to life. Something inside that had been waiting ever since the creature's birth to fulfill its function. Something inside that was drawing every shred of energy from the creature's body, depriving it of four senses and the ability to think. Something inside that was starting to move for the very first time.

And with an anguished inhale, the body drew breath once more.

- - - - - - - - - -

"Ahh…" Zerobi groaned as the world returned to her, somewhat hazier than she had left it. A dull pain in her head made her draw her hand up, getting a few small scratches across her forehead from her sharp claws. She would have to tolerate it for now, because nothing else seemed to be able to soothe her pounding headache.

Before noticing anything else, she saw a Pokémon sitting in front of her. Although his face was turned away from her and his cloak was missing, she immediately recognized him.

"Lucario...?" Zerobi asked groggily, "What happened…?"

"Dunno…" Lucario mumbled in response, not budging an inch or turning around to face her. Zerobi got the strangest feeling that her recovery was the last thing on his mind. She wondered what was wrong and decided to examine their surroundings. They were in a fairly small room with two chairs, both padded and looking a lot more comfy than the glorified sticks in the offices she had been searching through. Lucario had still chosen to sit down on the floor for some reason. Upon the walls hung a few mundane paintings, and the tapestry was soothingly blue.

The events of the day were starting to come back to Zerobi as she continued looking around. She remembered some big brute knocking her out, but nothing else from that point on. However, the cozy atmosphere made her feel like they were in some kind of a guest room, which struck her as odd considering how they had gotten there. The room had no windows and only one door, which to her surprise was not only unlocked but had been left open.

"Hey… Look!" Zerobi said while pointing towards the exit, the discovery bringing clarity to her dazed mind, "It's not locked or anything! Come on, let's go!"

"Yeah…" Lucario muttered solemnly, but continued sitting perfectly still. An awkward silence filled the room as Zerobi stood up, moving into Lucario's field of vision to see what was going on.

She immediately felt her mouth go dry, for Lucario's face was not the face she knew. His flaming red eyes were not eagerly zooming around, but empty and still. His ears that used to stand tall and twitch whenever she poked them now hung to the side, looking like withered leaves stuck to a dead branch. The mouth that she had seen smile, snarl and speak was now unmoving and slightly open, looking more like an unhinged door than anything else.

"You don't look so good…" Zerobi said quietly as she looked Lucario in his lifeless eyes, hoping for some kind of response.

"I don't… Feel so good…" Lucario replied quietly, sensing a familiar and dangerous aura approaching them from just outside the door. He did not make any attempt at hiding or preparing himself for battle. Something inside of him was not responding, as if it had died together with Mew. Why do anything, he wondered, it was not like his intervention would normally change the outcome for the better. If anything it would only make things worse, as with Rukario and the Zubat.

"Someone's coming…" Zerobi warned, feeling herself tense up as she heard a heavy set of footsteps approaching. Still confused as to what was happening and taking the moment into action, she ran to the side of the entryway, ready to ambush whoever was to come through it. Her confidence waned as the footsteps became louder and louder the nearer they came, signifying a very big and strong creature heading their way. Lucario remained immobile like before, and Zerobi wondered if his inaction was due to him being drugged or something. Eventually the footsteps reached the door, and Zerobi prepared herself to attack.

She halted herself as a huge Conkeldurr entered the room, making the paintings that had not been nailed to the wall properly rattle in a miniature quake. The brown, veiny muscles bulging in brute strength made her recall the instant before she had been knocked out cold, realizing just how badly outclassed she was against the powerful fighting-type. As luck would have it, he did not look at her, but his eyes seemed to be fastened on Lucario and nowhere else.

Without any warning, Lucario suddenly stood up.

"D-Don't…" Lucario stammered in surprise before shouting, "Don't you touch her!"

Zerobi looked at Lucario and then at the Conkeldurr, suddenly realizing that the brown giant was carrying something. It was a Pokémon with pink fur, and a long tail that seemed to have some kind of white bandage attached to it. She thought it looked like Mew with a peculiar tinge of realism added to her, like Celebi when she would lower her aura to camouflage herself against other plants. Mew seemed to be unconscious, and the Conkeldurr was cradling her like a baby. The colors drained from Zerobi's face as she realized that the small legendary was not moving.

Lucario's anger soared in an instant. The traitorous Connor had brought Mew, gruff uncaring hands carrying her gracious body like they would a bag of potatoes. Lucario wondered if the Conkeldurr was here to kill the two of them, just so he would be able to dispose of all three bodies in one go. Although Lucario felt just as bad as before and would very much prefer to simply lie down and die, he raised his fists. Not knowing what to do or how to feel, he did what he would always end up doing anyway - Readying himself to fight to the death.

Connor continued staring at Lucario, suddenly moving towards him. He slowed down his footsteps as to stop the quaking, his movement looking both strange and unfamiliar. Lucario realized that the large bodybuilder was not using his arms to walk around as they were busy cradling Mew. He had not just thrown her across his shoulder like he had with Lucario and Zerobi, but was actually carrying her rather carefully. If he was not using his arms, how would he fight? Before Lucario had noticed it, Connor stood directly in front of him, still not making any signs of hostility.

Eyes drifting downwards, Connor looked at Mew, a subtle nod urging Lucario to do the same. Careful about not dropping his guard, Lucario turned his vision towards Mew, still as colorless and vague as when he had seen her earlier. However, unlike back then, this time she was not completely still. There was a very subtle and strained movement of her upper body, like water filling a balloon before pouring out due to pressure. Throwing all caution to the side and putting his hand by her mouth, Lucario felt his pulse skyrocket in anticipation. The small draft across his palm made his own breaths come in faster than ever.

"MEW!" he screamed, Connor remaining unfazed while Zerobi flinched from the sudden outburst. As if a mask had suddenly fallen off, Lucario's ghastly expression went away and was replaced by a face she was more familiar with. She paid little mind to it however, since at the current moment she was far more terrified over what was wrong with Mew.

"She lives!" Lucario yelled happily as he turned towards Zerobi, "I kid you not! She's alive!"

"What!?" Zerobi burst out in confusion, once more wondering what the hell had happened while she was unconscious, "Don't scare me like that! From the look of things, I thought she was dead or something!"

"She was!" Lucario continued as he began to smile, "She really, really was!"

Before he knew it, he had reached out to grab Mew from Connor's arms. Suddenly realizing what he had done and expecting a swift knuckle to the head, he was surprised to see the giant letting go of her without a fuss. The Conkeldurr looked down at the frozen Lucario holding Mew, before nodding to show his acceptance.

"… Mew, can you hear me?" Lucario asked while gently tapping Mew's forehead, marveling over the body in his arms. It had been warm before, but only now did it feel alive. There was a clear pulse moving through her, and if he focused really hard he could even hear her strained breathing over the various noise coming from outside in No Man's Land. After a few moments, Mew stirred, very slowly opening her eyes. She looked extremely confused as her vision turned up towards him.

"L…" Mew wheezed before suddenly starting to choke. She gasped for air, closing her eyes again and letting herself go limp as the breathing resumed after a few moments.

"N-No! Don't talk!" Lucario stammered in fear, worried that he was about to lose her again, "Focus on breathing, nothing else!"

"That's…" Zerobi whispered as she moved closer, still wary of getting too near the Conkeldurr that had been able to defeat her in one blow, "She's using Rest?"

"Wha…" Lucario exclaimed, suddenly aware that both Zerobi and Connor were there. For a moment it had seemed like it was only him and Mew, like the many months they had spent traveling together.

"It's like a self-inflicted coma, disabling needless bodily functions to focus purely on one or two…" Zerobi explained while remembering her failed attempts at using it a few years earlier, "It's said that it can be done by every Pokémon in the world, and that it greatly boosts natural recovery if you use it properly."

"So… We can't wake her, huh…?" Lucario mumbled as he looked around the room, wondering what to do next, "Hmm… I wonder if Zoroark knows about this? If not, better get out of here before he or any his followers find us."

"Great idea, but…" Zerobi whispered with a scared tone while pointing towards the Conkeldurr and swallowing hard, "… What about this guy? Do you know him, or something?"

"Huh?" Lucario exclaimed, looking at Connor with a bewildered demeanor. Connor looked back at him without any expression on his face at all, as if he was looking at an empty pot or something else of very mild interest. Although it had only been a few minutes earlier, Lucario's impending battle with the fighting-type over Mew's corpse now seemed like part of a completely different world. He suddenly recalled being carried to this room by Connor, and the more he thought about it, he remembered it being due to Zoroark's orders.

"Hey… Does Zoroark know that we're here?" Lucario asked. Connor's expression seemed slightly troubled before he nodded.

"Does Zoroark know… Mew's here?" Lucario continued. Connor hesitated for a moment, but then shook his head.

"Oh, and by the way, do you have an explanation as to why you punched me so hard in the head that I was rendered unconscious!?" Zerobi shouted angrily, not at all pleased by the friendly atmosphere between her best friend and worst enemy. Connor sneered at her, but did not respond.

"Fine, whatever," Zerobi muttered, annoyed by the still throbbing pain in her forehead, "If he's not here to stop us, then let's go with your plan and get the hell out of here while we still can. About time, I've had it up to here with this place…"

Zerobi headed towards the door, but this time Connor responded. He held one of his massive outstretched hands directly in front of Zerobi, making her stop and give off a grumpy expression. Both her and Lucario stood frozen in place as the Conkeldurr moved forward, walking past them and to the wall on the opposite side of the door.

Taking a step back, he suddenly threw the bulk of his body against the wall. A loud boom filled the room and made Lucario instinctively try to cover his ears, stopping himself in the last second as he was almost about to drop Mew. She was a small Pokémon, but still about as big as his torso, requiring his full attention as to not let her fall and hurt herself even more.

The wall that Connor had rammed suddenly crumbled, revealing the outside world beyond. The hole was shaped in almost perfectly square, showing that the spot had once housed a window which had hastily been cemented and covered up. Connor walked back to the middle of the room before looking at Lucario and pointing towards the hole. To his own surprise, Lucario had no problem understanding what the massive fighting-type meant.

"An escape route…?" Lucario whispered to himself, looking up at Connor in surprise, "But… Why?"

What happened next caught Lucario even more by surprise. For the first time since he had laid eyes upon Connor, the stoic giant's face finally showed genuine emotion.

Sadness.

"Are you kidding!? We're on the top floor, we can't just jump ou…" Zerobi protested before looking out the hole and realizing they were back on ground level, again wondering what she had missed while unconscious. Connor and Lucario looked at each other, Lucario trying to understand why on earth the seemingly loyal giant had decided to betray Zoroark for their sake.

Suddenly, Connor's mouth opened. Not a sound was made, but his lips formed a word. Two syllables.

"This is not something we've got time for!" Zerobi said, feeling very uneasy around the Conkeldurr and imagining him going berserk at any moment and taking both of them out, "We're still in trouble as long as we're in No Man's Land… You want us to get to safety or not?"

"… Right!" Lucario exclaimed as he came to it, seeing the urgent look on Zerobi's face and feeling the tiny body in his arms. Moving towards the hole in the wall, Lucario lowered his head to whisper in Mew's ear.

"… Relax, Mew… I'll be the one protecting you, for once…" he said, not caring whether she could hear him or not, "I… I swear… This time, I swear I won't screw up!"

Zerobi jumped out, Lucario following closely behind. Night had fallen and the streets were fairly empty, no source of light present apart from the full moon soaring high up in the clouded sky. Zerobi sighed out in relief as they started running, knowing it would be easier for them to not be seen in the darkness. She felt secure as they headed towards the woods, but the sensation waned as she noticed just how slowly Lucario was moving. Looking back, she noticed that being encumbered by Mew was not the only reason for his sluggish pace.

"See… Run…?" Lucario whispered, trying to imitate the Conkeldurr's lips with his own. He felt the aura grow distant behind him and knew he had better things to be thinking about, but could not shake the feeling that there was something important about Connor's last and perhaps only statement.

"She… Won…?" he continued, the outcome still not sounding quite right. There were two syllables, but both were shorter than three letters. Lucario kept trying to mimic him over and over, until finally the right combination struck.

Immediately stopping himself, Lucario turned his face back towards the building they had left. The room they had left was empty, and Connor was no longer anywhere to be seen.

"… Cy… On…?" Lucario said out loud, feeling as if his heart was about to stop before an unfamiliar set of memories suddenly came upon him. He saw a very tiny, almost child-like Lucario looking himself in the mirror, a different Pokémon standing beside him. Holding a piece of lumber above them and flexing his beige muscles, the other Pokémon smiled broadly as suddenly a heavy set of footsteps sounded, the two of them turning around as-

"Keep up!" Zerobi shouted further ahead, already slowing herself down considerably so Lucario could follow. As if struck by lightning, Lucario snapped back to reality and continued running. An odd feeling ran through him, something aching in his chest and on top of both his hands. He had no idea what was happening, but decided to leave his curiosities for later. They were not out of the woods yet.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Zoroark carefully examined the handheld monitor, lightly tapping the side of it to scroll through the readings. His grin grew wider with every number he calculated.

"A pulse…" Zoroark whispered to himself, a great weight lifting off his shoulders. Laughing a little, he realized that he had once more underestimated a legendary. He would have to prepare something far more extraordinary for the next encounter, and preferably something involving less of him sticking his neck out. His nerves were not keen at taking any more punishment than they already had.

While the name Sphygnomanometer alone had been enough to scare off the two Bellsprout that had found the curious bandage and tiny monitor it lying in an old hospital, Zoroark had realized its functions and kept it in case he needed to make sure that someone was not just pretending to be dead. He had attached the bandage to Mew's tail before letting Connor carry her downstairs, not really expecting her to spring back to life so quickly. He would have to apologize profusely before continuing their discussion, this time with less panic and more of the peace and quiet he had initially hoped for. The best part, he thought, was that he was still safe from harm, since she would still not regain her psychic powers for at least a few days.

Relieved as Zoroark was, he could not help but frown as the readings from Mew's pulse stopped coming. The words "OUT OF RANGE" suddenly appeared on the screen. The remote Sphygnomanometer supposedly had a range of over 50 meters, so for it to be out of range was not a possibility as long as she remained in the building.

A nasty thought hit him. On a whim, he ran up to his favorite window and peered outside. Seeing nothing, he ran out into the corridor and looked out a window acing the other way. There, in the darkness of the city, he saw two figures running away into the woods.

"Damn…" Zoroark mumbled, recognizing Lucario and Zerobi thanks to his sharp eyesight and perfect night vision. He wondered how they could possibly have escaped the dauntless Connor, but felt that perhaps it was for the best. With Mew as a guest, he had far more pressing matters to attend to than exacting revenge upon Lucario. Also, he genuinely had no clue on how to handle Zerobi, who aside from being a coldblooded killer could apparently survive a gaping hole in her chest as well as being completely liquefied.

It was not until Zoroark noticed the small pink creature in Lucario's arms that he realized the gravity of the situation.

"Oh, damn!" he burst out, turning around and starting to run down the stairs. He had no idea what the two of them had in mind for Mew, but if she was to get away now the consequences could be catastrophic for both him and No Man's Land. Zoroark picked up the pace and leaped out of an open window, sliding down the rope-like vine that hung from the side.

Running his claws through his hair once more, he confirmed that the useful vials tied up within were still there. Zoroark smiled as he set off towards the forest. Zerobi and Lucario might have been able to escape Connor, but there was not a creature alive that could escape him. It had all been but a minor setback, and he would show them exactly why it is a bad idea to cross the leader of No Man's Land.

Well she WAS dead, bjt not anymore. This is turning out to be quite interesting.

So that introduction paragraph was related to Connor I take it? I wonder what happened to him...

Ah, so everythings already determined, well then.

-Azurus

Body of Cyon, Mind of Ethan
    Cyon raised a timburr, Ethan cared for pokemon
    Cyon's adopted son, conkledurr.
    They should have invited Connor.
    Will Rukario show up again.
    JUST GET ME MORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

Omg, Mew is alive! Hahaha! I knew a legendary couldn't die that easily! (kinda)
    Well anyway, I'm glad shes back. The prediction that she'll die in an epic battle returns!
    Also, I'm a little surprised that Cyon and Connor knew eachother in their childhood.
    Can't wait for the next chapter.

Chapter 58

Elusive Trickster Zoroark

Night had fallen upon the city of No Man's Land. The evening's cool and refreshing air replaced the sweltering heat which had lingered at daytime. Even so, Lucario knew everything would turn dense and rich with unpleasant odors once he went deeper into the woods, and took the moment to enjoy his current surroundings. Running through the forest, the strong moonlight filtering through the leaves and branches was the only thing illuminating his passage and stopping him from tripping over a root or crashing headfirst into a trunk. Soon the thick crowns would fully block out the sky, and he wondered how much longer he would be able keep going before the forest became too dark to move through.

Zerobi was leading the way, relying on her fairly adapt night vision and gleaming claws to beacon a route for Lucario to follow. Normally she was only a little bit faster at running than he was, but with Mew in his arms and quite the troublesome terrain to navigate in the dark, she felt like she could be running circles around both of them without breaking a sweat. Still curious as to what could possibly have incapacitated Mew, she had no intention of slowing down to find out. Instead, she was busy trying to decide if her paranoia had returned at the worst possible time, or if there really something behind them.

"Is someone's chasing us?" Zerobi asked, deciding to check with Lucario. Lucario looked behind them for a moment, then shrugged.

"Probably not… I'm not sensing an aura," Lucario responded while panting a little from the exhausting run, realizing that his statement was not entirely true. He was still sensing many aura from No Man's Land, the extraordinarily strong one from underground grabbing his attention once more. As he reached out with his senses, he could not help but notice that the familiar aura he had noticed outside the city was currently on the move. He tried to pinpoint exactly where it was heading, but was suddenly interrupted.

"STOP!" a loud voice came from behind. Lucario snapped out of his thoughts and looked back, almost dropping Mew in surprise as he saw a black and vaguely red figure coming right at them.

"It's Zoroark!" Lucario screamed as he recognized the voice, "Ergh, he's fast!"

"THAT'S Zoroark!?" Zerobi shouted as she spun around to look for half a second before turning her face forward again and speeding up, "Come on, keep running!"

Lucario tried to speed up as well, but noticed he was already at his limit. Mew stirred a little as he jumped over a root, and he could hear Zoroark quickly closing in from behind.

"Lucario and Zerobi! I do not care about you two!" Zoroark yelled with surprisingly clarity despite running at top speed, "Hand me Mew and I will let you go!"

"Sounds trustworthy!" Lucario replied sarcastically, noticing that his panting was becoming heavier and more labored. Zoroark was catching up fast, and he had no hope of dodging or fighting him while carrying Mew. Growling menacingly while putting all his powers into a spurt, he increased his speed a little and ran up beside Zerobi.

"Z-Zerobi, here!" Lucario gasped as he held Mew's sleeping body towards her, "T-Take Mew and r-run! I'll stop Zoroark!"

"Wh… What!?" Zerobi exclaimed, moving a pace away from Lucario before ducking and narrowly dodging a low branch, "You can't be serious!"

"He's t-too fast, I can't outrun him!" Lucario continued as he moved closer and forcefully pushed Mew towards her again, "I can't fight while holding Mew, either! Take her and let me kill this bastard, I'll catch up with you later!"

"But… But…" Zerobi stammered, unable to think of what to say as she noticed the pricks of deep red across the tiny legendary's back, "… I can't carry her, she's bleeding! If that gets on me-"

"Just from behind, hold her the other way!" Lucario yelled as he flipped Mew around far less carefully than he would have wanted to, starting to panic as Zoroark was now closer than ever before, "NOW!"

Zerobi muttered a curse as she held her arms out, turning the sharper side of her claws downwards. Lucario tossed Mew's body into her chest, making her recoil as she repositioned the legendary as to not drop or accidentally cut into her. Letting Mew's body rest upon her outstretched arms, Zerobi steadied her run and could not help but pensively eye the blood trickling down her sides.

As soon as Mew left his arms, Lucario let both his feet hit the ground, stopping and turning around. Zoroark was heading straight for him.

"No!" Zoroark suddenly yelled, a panicked expression crossing his normally confident features while his eyes followed Zerobi and Mew, "Don't let them get away!"

"Go ahead, try to follow them!" Lucario shouted with a smile before letting the aura flow through his arm, "Let me introduce your back to the Aura Sphere!"

Zoroark flinched as a thousand conflicting thoughts ran through his head at once. While most told him that Lucario was bluffing and he should keep running, his back was already quite familiar to the Aura Sphere and knew exactly how badly it hurt. The thought of getting knocked out and possibly killed finally made Zoroark halt himself a few feet away from Lucario, hastily trying to think of what to do. Before he knew it, the Weavile carrying the legendary had disappeared out of sight into a sea of trees and bushes ahead.

"You… You idiot!" Zoroark burst out with an exasperated voice while clenching his claws together in rage, "Do you realize what you've done!?"

"Yes!" Lucario replied with a sense of excitement that surprised even himself, letting the aura flowing through his arm settle down as to not misfire and ruin his valiant stand. At long last, he felt like he was making a difference. He felt like he was selflessly protecting someone he cared about, and his worries and doubts about himself began to vanish as Zerobi and Mew managed to get further and further away. Although neither had an aura for him to sense, he knew they would be fine on their own.

"You left the legendary Mew in the care of that murderous psychopath!?" Zoroark shouted, watching his plans go dreadfully wrong and once more ending up with the death of Mew.

"… Who? Zerobi?" Lucario asked after thinking for a moment, "Hah! I think you've got it mixed up, YOU'RE the one who's trying to kill Mew!"

"I don't have time for your nonsense!" Zoroark kept going as he impatiently waved his arms in front of him in a threatening gesture, "I mean Mew no harm… And her blood will be on your hands unless we stop Zerobi!"

"Yeah, not going to happen," Lucario said before shaking his head and striking a battle pose, "Come on, you could at least put some effort into lying."

"You… You damn numbskull of an imbecile!" Zoroark suddenly burst out, finally fed up with Lucario's misinformed views and unreasonable confidence, "Why do I even try explaining anything!? You're so deluded it's just… Not possible! You're impossible!"

"You should've realized before that I'm way too smart for your trickery," Lucario replied with a smile while continuing to ignore Zoroark's words, "Face it, you've met your intellectual match!"

"I will not let Mew die because of your stupidity!" Zoroark growled as he prepared himself for combat, "Last warning! Move!"

"Fine… As you wish!" Lucario shouted as he cracked his knuckles and ran forward. He took a swing, his fist whishing through the air as Zoroark reacted quickly and crouched down. Coming in low, Zoroark countered by aiming his claws at Lucario's right leg. Lucario pulled his leg back and spun around in a clockwise motion, a mighty kick striking Zoroark in the side.

"GAH!" Zoroark coughed as he hopped sideways, the painful blow reminding him that he was no match for a fighting-type in direct combat. Even so, it only served to make him more indignant.

"That was for last time!" Lucario exclaimed cheerfully while putting his hand to his own side, the successful attack bringing him extreme satisfaction, "… AND the time before that, might I add! Get ready for more, I've got so many skills for kicking your butt I don't know where to start!"

"For your sake…" Zoroark whispered with a grim, loathsome expression, "… I hope none of them rely on you actually knowing where your enemy is."

In an instant, Zoroark was no longer there. Lucario's eyes widened and he choked on his own gasp in surprise, turning around to examine the area. Not seeing anything and still not able to sense the dark-type's aura, he finally turned his head upwards as if expecting to see him hovering above.

There was nothing. Out of nowhere, Zoroark had completely vanished. There were only trees and bushes around, all of which provided ample hiding places. Lucario wondered if Zoroark was just waiting for the right opportunity to strike, or if he had gotten past him and was already trying to catch up with Zerobi and Mew.

The latter thought seemed to be the most likely and troublesome as Lucario immediately took off in the direction where Zerobi and Mew had disappeared, neither of them providing an aura for him to track. Instead, all he could sense was the aura that had been roaming the outside of the forest. It was definitively on the move, closer now than before and seemingly inside the forest. Not only that, but there was something else there… Something approaching quickly from behind…

Spinning around and thrusting out his elbow, he felt it connect with Zoroark's snout. However, he had not been fast enough, as something slashed across his chest before the dark-type staggered backwards with a pained cry. Both of them were taken by such surprise that they just stood and stared at each other for a moment.

"H-How the hell did you…!?" Zoroark snarled viciously while clasping his hand around his nose, realizing that he was bleeding. His own attack had drawn blood from Lucario, but had not done nearly as much damage as he had hoped.

Lucario smiled while reaching up and flicking his ears a bit.

"These aren't just for show, you know," he said confidently, suddenly grateful to finally get some use out of having such large ears. So far, all they had done was bump into things overhead and force him to cover them whenever a loud noise sounded. Zoroark had moved both quickly and quietly, but the light pitter-patter that would have gone unnoticed by anyone else had alerted Lucario to his presence.

"… Damn it!" Zoroark huffed angrily, having hoped for a quick and easy resolution instead of a drawn out battle. Every second that passed, Zerobi was getting further away, and the bandage part of the Sphygnomanometer had already fallen off Mew's tail, so soon he would have no hope of finding them. Not that it would matter, Zoroark thought, not knowing just how many moments it would take before Zerobi started digging into the poor helpless legendary. A wave of guilt ran through him, and he knew that he had to try anything to rectify his mistake in incapacitating Mew.

"… You know what? Screw this!" Zoroark suddenly snarled as he dropped his stance, "I've got better things to do, damn it. I am willing to call this a draw if you are."

"A… A draw!?" Lucario burst out in surprise, having expected the battle to continue for quite a bit longer, "Uh… I'm keeping you busy so the others can escape, remember?"

"You are all free to go for now," Zoroark muttered as he waved his hand and turned around, "Go ahead, before I change my mind."

Lucario looked at him with a confused expression for a while, before also dropping his guard.

"… Alright," he said while nodding in agreement, "It's a draw. Good bye."

Also turning around, Lucario and Zoroark stood with their backs to each other. Hesitantly, they both started walking away.

After nearly three steps, both of them turned around again and charged each other, clashing together in a violent slam.

"… So?" Lucario asked expectantly as he took a step back.

"I… Changed my mind," Zoroark mumbled before raising his voice, "You were planning on attacking me too!?"

"Hah! You think I'm settling for a draw after coming this far?" Lucario chuckled as he struck his battle pose again, "No way! I'm kicking your butt!"

Something sinister passed over Zoroark's face. His angry features began to melt away as his usual confident demeanor crept forward. It was obvious that he had just gotten some kind of idea. In a flash, he zoomed one of his arms through his hair, his claws clutching a small vial containing a clear yellowish liquid as they came out.

"Kicking? MY butt? I never knew you thought so highly of yourself," Zoroark mused as he uncorked the vial and gave the contents a quick whiff, "Mmm… Tell me, which flavor of defeat would you prefer? Paralysis, sleep or poison?"

"… Poison?" Lucario responded, hoping Zoroark did not know about his inherent immunity to poisoning. He remembered how he had been taken down with a single blow when paralyzed, and how the scientist Zoroark had put to sleep had faced a similar fate.

"Ahaha… Clever," Zoroark snickered, trying to draw things out as much as possible, "No, I think paralysis would do nicely, so you can lie here and mope while thinking about what you've done."

Before pouring the liquid over his claws, Zoroark looked down and realized they were covered in blood. Some of it was his, and some of it was Lucario's.

"Hey, you think I'm going to let this happen?" Lucario asked, realizing that this was a perfect opportunity to cancel his enemy's preparations, "You know I can attack at any moment, right?"

"Oh, I wouldn't suggest that…" Zoroark mumbled while holding up his bloodied hands, "Do we share the same blood type? If not, stabbing you with these would probably kill you."

"… How considerate of you…" Lucario grumbled sarcastically, the wound on his side that had been pierced by the same claws twice aching a bit. Zoroark produced a towel from his hair which he used to wipe his claws clean, using his tongue to lick up the last remnants of blood. The flavor was iron-like and strong, and he could not comprehend how Zerobi could be so passionate about it. Something told him that understanding her twisted mentality might actually be worse than not.

Meanwhile, Lucario had his own problem to worry about. Focusing his senses, he noticed that the powerful aura that had been on the move was definitively heading directly towards them. At first he had thought Zoroark was an idiot for stalling the battle, since he needed to catch up with Zerobi and Mew as quickly as possible… But the more he thought about it, he realized Zoroark was probably just waiting for some kind of backup from No Man's Land. The aura came from the outskirts of the forest, so it was probably some kind of guard... A very strong one, judging by its ferocious and strangely familiar aura.

"You ready, or what!?" Lucario yelled impatiently, knowing he would have to end the battle quickly before having to fight two foes at once.

"Oh… Almost…" Zoroark whispered as he was finally given what he had been waiting for; a light, cold and wet tap on the nose.

Lucario felt something touching his head, and he looked up. It was difficult to tell in the darkness, but the steady stream on water falling into his eyes told him it was starting to rain. In just a few moments it was as if the skies themselves had dumped a bucket over them, the rain coming down in a violent shower. The darkness around them became covered in grey scratches, illuminated by the moon's pale light.

"Hmpf… Heheh…" Zoroark snickered, a sinister smile appearing on his face. Lucario braced himself for what was to come, wondering what possible use his opponent could make out of regular rainfall. If anything, it should wash the poisonous coating from his claws before long.

"… You've got good hearing, do you?" Zoroark asked gleefully as he ran one of his hands through his bushy red hair, water dripping down his face and matting down his fur, "I wonder… Can you hear this?"

Zoroark then stepped down with his foot on the wet soil. It made no splash and left no mark, and whatever miniscule sound it might have caused was drowned out by the millions of raindrops falling all around it.

"No? I guess those ears really are just for show!" Zoroark shouted triumphantly while shaking his head, several droplets of water flying off to the sides. Lucario tensed up, finally realizing what Zoroark was getting at. The dark-type snickered as he finally turned the vial upside down and coated his claws with the strange yellowish fluid. It was done both swiftly and efficiently, for he was no longer waiting for the rain to start.

"Take a deep breath, Lucario. I hear gargling mud is a fairly disgusting experience…" Zoroark said, and then he was gone. Lucario was just about to rush him, but stopped himself when realizing he had missed the opportunity.

Immediately he began thinking of a way to counter the attack, but nothing obvious came up. He really had no way of seeing, hearing or otherwise detecting Zoroark's location anymore. He thought of using the Aura Sphere, but while the attack was both destructive and accurate, it wouldn't matter much if he didn't know where to aim. It had missed once against the hunter, and this time a miss would result in defeat.

Lucario suddenly thought about the hunter. He remembered how the fairly slow and heavy target had still managed to dodge his Aura Sphere. He suddenly had an idea. It would be quite risky, but it was still better than nothing.

Closing his eyes, Lucario dropped his hands to his sides. Both his arms were flexed, and ready to attack at a moment's notice. However, even so he tried to relax as much as possible, attempting to figure out when to strike. At any moment he could be pierced, paralyzed and left for dead on the wet ground. The rattling of the rain made it seem like it had already happened, and he was completely still while lamenting over his defeat. Knowing Zoroark was already moving on. Knowing he would take Mew back to No Man's Land despite her near death experience. Knowing Zerobi might not even make it that far before being killed off. Knowing that he had failed to protect the only two people in the world he genuinely cared about.

He would not have it. Not this time.

"YAAH!" Lucario burst out, putting all his weight behind an uppercut to his right. His fist connecting with Zoroark's chin like a volcanic outburst, sending the dark-type flying upwards in a graceful arc. Zoroark's mind went numb as he flew back and fell down on the ground, instinctively getting to his feet but still not capable of any rational thinking.

"Wh… What the…" he stammered through his dizziness, the pain pounding against his head and making it seem like he was being hit over and over by the attack, "How the… How could you possibly…?"

"Take a deep breath, Zoroark," Lucario said with a confident smile as he charged, "I hear kissing the ground's not all that great, either!"

Zoroark wobbled a bit, trying to get out of the way but still too dazed to make a genuine effort. Lucario was just about to slug the dark-type once more when a very strong feeling overwhelmed him, making him halt and grit his teeth in anger.

"That's… That's not fair! I'm winning, damn it!" Lucario yelled before pointing accusingly at Zoroark, "Hey, you're not a coward, are you!? Tell your backup to piss off so we can continue this fight in peace!"

"My… Backup?" Zoroark repeated with a curious expression. His mind began to clear as he heard a booming crack somewhere within the woods. It sounded something like a branch breaking in two, but many times louder.

"Yeah! I've been sensing that thing ever since getting here!" Lucario continued, feeling the immensely powerful aura coming up right upon them, "You know, one of the guards you put outside No Man's Land?"

"… I didn't put any guards outside…" Zoroark whispered and stared into the forest, a very bad feeling spreading through him. He heard yet another explosion-like snap, closer this time.

"… Huh?" Lucario exclaimed in surprise, "But… That can't be! I recognize this aura, I just can't remember from where! You mean… It's NOT one of yours?"

Both their curiosities were answered as one final blast sounded, and one of the trees they had been staring at broke around the middle and came crashing down. Behind it was an incredibly large creature, one that both Lucario and Zoroark recognized all too well. It approached them with footsteps so heavy that they could be heard even through the pouring rain.

A figure suddenly emerged on top of the beast, crawling out from under its fur. As astounding of a sight as the monstrous creature was, the one thing that drew their attention was the color emanating from the trainer on top…

RED

Page 10 of 18 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast