Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: The Human Species (PG-13)

Chapter 93

Care: Generativity vs. Stagnation

Cave. Crate. Bottle. The sight Lucario awoke to should not have been entirely unexpected, but he found himself quite surprised none the less. He had just been dreaming about getting into a pinch and suddenly evolving into a fearsome creature, his hair growing longer with his hands and feet turning red. Several spikes sprouted out all over his body as he gained enough super-powers to turn Darkrai into mincemeat and then following up by dancing a cheerful jig with Mew.

A bothersome headache broke him out of his dreamland, keeping him from getting engulfed completely in the fantasy. Rationalizing, he figured that to have spikes shoot out of him and later retract would probably hurt like hell.

"Lucario, what are you doing!?" a shrill voice behind him echoed, and Lucario slowly came to realize the origin of his unusually happy dream. Looking back with a blank expression, he saw that the legendary Celebi had come to visit. Her eyes were wide open, but the skin underneath them possessed abnormal shades of dark green. Even so, the strangest thing about her was her posture. Although constantly hovering, both she and Mew would always make a point to keep their bodies upright for the sake of being on the same level as everyone else. Now Celebi just kind of hung there like a blanket on a hook, tilting a little to the side while casually spitting in the face of gravity.

"Stop that!" Celebi burst out in shock as Lucario's current appearance was nothing to boast about either, "Steel-type or not, you will destroy your liver!"

Lucario shrugged before putting his head against the wall. Even in a state like this she possessed the aura of positive energy. Normally it would cause Lucario to feel better, but currently it was only able to cancel out the worst of his depression, leaving him with a numb sensation.

"... A liver failure for a living failure..." he muttered, nothing but complete apathy running through him, "... Sounds fitting to me..."

"What kind of reasoning is that?" Celebi asked with genuine concern, "You will contract painful and potentially lethal diseases!"

"Good," Lucario replied bluntly, "I'm getting impatient."

Unable to retain enough pride to stop it, Celebi felt her eyes tear up. To refer to her as a broken shell of her former self would be an understatement. She had been captured. She had been shot. Her sister had turned out to be a serial killer, Pikablu had possibly been paralyzed for life and now her best friend since birth was dead. It was as if the entire universe had come down on her, squeezing out what little spirit she still had after the fateful battle at Hilltop Mountain.

"Stop it... Please..." she whispered while shaking her head in denial, "Don't... Don't you leave me, too..."

She looked at Lucario, his eyes devoid of sympathy.

"Other way around," he answered, "You leave me. Alone."

Lucario's insensitive behavior was beginning to affect her in the worst way. Like a cauldron at boiling temperature, long subdued anger was beginning to bubble to the surface.

"You... You selfish bum!" Celebi exclaimed loudly while pointing at him, "Just sitting here, killing yourself and not caring about how it affects anyone else!"

Lucario's head snapped up, surprised by her sudden change in mood.

"I'll have you know, I still have a sister to take care of!" Celebi fumed, "Duties to perform! Friends to c-comfort! L-Loose ends... T-To..."

Her voice broke up as she failed to uphold her rage. Although she had begun to scream and shout, her tears from earlier had not stopped pouring out. She quieted down while Lucario simply looked at her, expressionless.

"No one... N-Not a single one of you knew Mew like I did..." she sobbed while turning her head away, "Why c-can't I sit around and w-wallow in pity forever...? H-How come I'm not allowed to c-curl up and d-die...?"

Lucario sighed as he leaned back and stared up into the ceiling. No matter how hard he tried, he could not find any words of comfort. He just didn't care about anything anymore.

"Hey... You want to trade places with me?" Lucario asked in a low-key voice, "I can't do anything for anyone without causing misery... You want my body?"

Forcing back her tears, Celebi looked back and stared at Lucario in surprise. So far she had assumed herself to be the only one hurting so bad from Mew's death, thinking the others had barely even gotten to know her.

"I got to spend half a year with Mew before losing her forever... You want my past?" Lucario continued bitterly before giving off a cold snicker, "I'm not even really here. I'm a ghost who's possessed a dead body, shouldn't even exist... You want my life?"

Already lamenting how Lugia, Mesprit and Zapdos would react, Celebi had not anticipated that Lucario had been so close to Mew to begin with. Was he mourning the fact that now there was truly no way for him to become human again? Or was he simply feeling guilty that he could not save her? In her musings, she begun to realize that it did not matter. Neither he nor she was the one that deserved pity.

"Why are we complaining...?" Celebi whispered as she wiped the tears away from her face, "We are still alive... Mew's the one who..."

"... What else can we do?" Lucario replied quietly, "I already miss her. I want to see her again, I need to talk to her..."

"You can come by and visit her later, if you wish," Celebi said as she was immediately met by a confused expression, "... I am doing my best in keeping her body intact. I... Cannot bear to see her wither away."

Not having any gratitude to offer, Lucario simply nodded. Mew was dead; after crying in the snow for what seemed like an eternity he already knew that talking to her corpse does not do a damn thing. Thinking back to that time, he suddenly remembered a certain selection of Mew's final words.

"... I need to get back..." Celebi said in a dismal tone, "... Cerebral necrosis always stalking around the corner..."

"Wait. Out there in the snow..." Lucario mumbled as he looked at her, "Mew said something about you."

"... She did?" Celebi asked, a little agitated that he had not told her about this before.

"She said she'd tried something you told her to do," Lucario explained, every last thing Mew said burned into his mind, "But... She was ashamed."

He decided to leave out the last part about Mew avoiding him on purpose, as it could make the others realize that she had been in love with him. It was not something he was ready to acknowledge, still wondering if the memory had not just been another drunken dream. But even though he purposely left the part out, he realized his cover had been blown as Celebi's face suddenly turned slightly red.

"Oh..." Celebi exclaimed while looking away in embarrassment.

"What... Was it?" Lucario asked slowly, clinging on to the faint hopes that he had not been busted.

"Back at the Seafoam Islands..." Celebi started before finding herself at a loss for words, realizing she was about to give the least fitting eulogy ever, "... No, this is not something you need to know about."

"... It's about me, isn't it?" Lucario admitted while lowering his head, awaiting the inevitable bombardment of questions even he did not know the answer to.

"It has nothing to do with you," Celebi answered with a huff, wishing he would act a bit less self-centered, "In fact... One might say it is none of your concern. At all."

Lucario stared blankly at her for a moment before sighing out in relief, never having felt so glad to have been told off. Soon afterwards, Celebi slipped out of the cave to go tend to her very unhealthy obsession, leaving him to return to his drinking binge. Cracking open another beer with his teeth, Lucario wondered if maybe he should take her up on her offer after all.

Are there things left for me to do?
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    Year 4-7: Forever Legendary [img]http://i52.*******.com/16a5hc2.png[/img]
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Year 10: The Human Species [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/34zypdx.png[/IMG]
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Chapter 93x

High School Reunion

Zerobi stood in the middle of town, staring at a window while partially hidden by the shadow of a nearby house. Feeling quite foolish, she really hoped no one would see her like this. She had no valid explanation as to what she was doing there, a problem compounded by the fact that her graceful and extremely lethal claws were currently lodged deep inside two snow white pillows. A strange scene that would confuse anyone but exactly two people in this world – Herself, and the person she was meeting.

She knew she could do this. She had stood up to Darkrai. She had revealed her past to the two most important people in her life. Indeed, she had even done the impossibly difficult task of confessing her love to someone. This was not going to be anywhere near as trying or dangerous. Just a simple chat with an old friend, something they had both enjoyed so many times before.

A sigh escaped her lips. At this point she would rather take on two Darkrai than jump up to that window. It was beginning to snow again – Was that an excuse enough to call it off? She could slip and break her neck. The soft buns around her hands would not exactly improve her dexterity or make a fall any less dangerous, either. Going from scissorhands to cushionhands made her look very stupid, but they were necessary apparel to make her out to be as non-threatening as possible. She had only tried it once before, when she evolved and her claws rapidly outgrew their gloves. She hoped the person whose idea it was to use pillows for protection still remembered her clever little scheme.

Zerobi was not the only Pokémon making use of pillows that night. Far from a bustling metropolis, the homely little town nonetheless offered many conveniences such as a Pokécenter, a police station and a hotel, the latter of which was currently housing a very unusual occupant. Like any guests, she and her husband had paid for their stay, causing the surprised manager to give them a room before wondering if providing lodgings for Pokémon might be an overlooked business opportunity. At the moment, the Pokémon's husband was working overtime at the police station while she spent the cold night indoors.

Human beds were nice, she thought. Lying curled up like usual, it was a nice experience to find that her cozy tail was not preferable to the fine bedding and soft headrests. She was not entirely sure on what to make of human TV, though. Movies were one thing, but even Snivy seemed to carry some disdain for what he referred to as "entertainment for the pleb." It seemed to have little to offer but uninteresting reality shows that worked to put her mind to sleep, and any fictional show that idolized a Lucario left a bad aftertaste in her mouth.

But nothing could bring her down right now. In a simple bed, engaged in no special activity, she had temporarily entered a state of fully encompassing comfort. Her insides rocked gently, only adding to the sweetness of the moment. The atmosphere was calm and the room was in perfect temperature thanks to her opening the window and letting in the cool winter's air. Snivy would ceaselessly warn her about leaving it open, asking if she could not simply follow him to work if she was so eager to meet burglars. He was paranoid, but she felt they both had fairly good reasons to be. Still, she was a rational being – What were the odds of the source of their nightmares appearing right now on this very night?

This cold night.

This black night.

A shudder ran through her, ruining the coziness. Something felt off, like someone was staring at her. Someone by the window. Hastily she tapped the remote, muting the TV and hoping to catch the sound of whoever was there, or more preferably, not catching any sound because there was no one there.

All she heard was a small tap, and it grabbed her attention as a terribly familiar figure landed outside the window, crouching on the slate of the roof. The darkness of the night made her wish that her mind was only playing tricks on her, being needlessly scared by a rare black cat only seeking shelter for the night. But there was no denying the creature that swiftly slipped in through the window, the light striking and fully illuminating Zerobi's features.

The temperature in the room dropped to absolute zero as Eve felt like her heart was about to stop. Zerobi looked very elegant, even more so than in her younger days due to her more impish features receding. Yet still, she seemed so much more frightening. Zerobi tried to smile, but all Eve could see were the fangs of a vampiric creature, not in the least bit calming or cute but only a glimmer of her demonic nature. Losing control of her breathing as she panicked, Eve leaped up to her feet in an attempt to flee.

"I come in peace! I just want to talk!" Zerobi interrupted her while flailing around with her wrapped up hands, "See? Gloves and everything! I'll just stand over here, I won't try to come any closer, just don't scream…"

Eve froze up in terror, realizing it was already too late. Nothing but humans in the hotel; they would get sliced to ribbons in a fraction of a second. She could never match up against Zerobi in the past, so fighting or fleeing while carrying an extra passenger was beyond impossible. By the time Snivy and the others arrived at the scene, she would be but a finely carved cadaver. She was trapped.

Amazed that Eve was not screaming hysterically, Zerobi already felt things were going in her favor. Watching her old friend cowering like this was discouraging, and so she summoned up all of her amicability. She could do this.

"I-If you think…" Eve stammered in warning, staring down Zerobi while hoping to evoke enough sympathy that she would come out of this alive. It did not seem very likely. After all, when Zerobi had been on the verge of death and begging for mercy, Eve had left her to die. She trembled, knowing the blooded wraith's revenge upon her and her unborn child would be unimaginable.

"I know. There is no excuse for what I have done, and I would understand perfectly if you would rather I go away and die…" Zerobi explained as she looked around the room awkwardly, finding it more and more difficult to stare into Eve's hateful eyes, "But… I want you to know. At least you should know what really happened, and why. You deserve that much."

Zerobi quickly lifted her hands to her hair, trying to grab the small object she had stored within. Due to the pillows covering her claws, she rummaged around with the finesse of two very soft sledgehammers.

"… Stupid…" Zerobi grunted as she slipped out one hand from the cushion, the shiny metal causing Eve to sharply inhale. Moving quickly as to stop the normal-type from panicking, she withdrew and object and threw it on the ground in front of Eve.

"… Here," Zerobi said as she put her claw into the headrest again, "It's a picture of me and… My sister…"

Eyeing her carefully, Eve threw a glance down towards the ground. It stayed there for only a second before it snapped back up at Zerobi again. However, her expression turned slightly daft as she warily looked down again, staring more intently at the picture this time. After a few moments, she lifted her head with an expression that practically shouted "Are you serious?"

"Yes, I would also consider myself insane if our roles were reversed," Zerobi answered her unspoken question, "Turns out, Celebi and I are family. I could have brought her, but… This is between you and me."

"… And everyone you killed…" Eve said, unable to stop herself. She knew she was in a bad position, but seeing what could be genuine proof that the legendary Celebi was real overwhelmed her. It had to be fake.

Sighing deeply, Zerobi stared off to the side while twiddling the soft cushions around her hands. Any little gesture to ease what she was about to explain.

"… I never meant for it to happen…" she whispered with a hazy, almost dreamy expression, "I never knew I was of legendary heritage. I had no idea on how to shackle myself. My powers… Overtook my being. Controlled me."

Once more examining the picture, Eve realized that even if the picture was fake, Zerobi's inexplicable resurrection was not. She felt eight years of nonsense explanations and futile reasoning vanish in a second. Of course Zerobi survived, she was a bloody legendary. Or perhaps, a legendary of blood? For the first time, Eve looked at Zerobi with curiosity rather than fear, wanting to know more.

"… You know exactly when it happened, don't you?" Zerobi asked while thinking of that one fateful night with the Kadabra, "The day I changed. The time when I evolved…"

She did, in a manner of speaking. Eve had always assumed Zerobi to be a typical serial killer, acting normal around other people until the day she finally snapped. When they founded Evolution's Gate, Zerobi stopped being the cheerful, caring girl she once befriended. However, Eve had come to believe that it had all been a ruse on Zerobi's end, trying to hide her murderous tendencies from the public.

"… It was the blood. The unstoppable lust for blood controlled my mind, and ruined my life," Zerobi continued with a chilling voice, "When I came down from my high and returned to my senses, I had no idea how it had happened. I had been possessed to kill, something I would never even have been able to even imagine before."

Hesitating for a moment, Darkrai's words echoed in her head. The blood did not control her – It simply allowed her to act out her urges. She decided to leave this out of the explanation, thinking it would ruin what little credibility she was gaining with people.

"The following seven years I lived in seclusion, knowing I was too dangerous to ever be with anyone again," Zerobi explained as she clenched her unseen hands, "Every night, I could hear the cries of those I killed… And… Even worse…"

This was it. Forcing herself to look at Eve, Zerobi prepared to say the most difficult thing she had ever said.

"… I knew you hated me," she admitted breathlessly before quickly looking away again, "You were my best friend, Eve. I… No, the other part of me ruined that, and that's why I could never let it control me again."

Eve felt her heart skip a beat, not believing what she was hearing. Mustering up all the knowledge Snivy had given her regarding criminals and their aptitude for lies and trickery, she could not help but take in Zerobi's ridiculously sincere admission. In fact, ever since the Dark-type had entered, Eve had not felt the presence of the murderous swine she had come to fear for so long. It had been exactly like that of her old friend, a presence she had forgotten about ages ago.

"I never wanted to hurt anyone… But especially not you," Zerobi said while suddenly finding it a bit easier to look into Eve's eyes and their diminishing hostility, "If there was anything I could do to make things better, I would."

"If you truly feel that way…" Eve spoke up for the first time in a while, her voice calm if maybe a bit wary, "… You should turn yourself in to the police."

"… A year ago, I might have done so…" Zerobi whispered while thinking of two quietly weeping figures in a cave not far away, "… But now, there are others that need me. I can do a lot more redemption out here than in a cell."

A strange silence followed. It was awkward, but at the same time very comforting and somewhat nostalgic. Eve and Zerobi looked at each other without fear, eight years of frightened memories beginning to melt away.

"I… I would've brought some Leppa Cake for you…" Zerobi said to break the silence, "… But knowing what I did, you'd probably think it was poisoned or something…"

Eve stared at her, speechless. Could this actually be happening? She was talking to Zerobi, the serial killer who had betrayed her. Tried to murder her. So many dead, so many friends back in Cerulean City with their lives ruined, all because of her. Every nightmare. Every session of therapy. Her fault.

"… No…" Eve whispered to herself and fixed a serious gaze into Zerobi. The Weavile suddenly felt a cold sensation take grip of her heart, causing her to freeze up in nervousness.

"Snivy would know if it was poisoned or not," Eve explained calmly while feeling a sudden urge for sweets, "He can smell poison from a mile away."

Zerobi sighed out in relief and smiled. For a moment she thought the conversation was going to head in another direction.

"… He's a good man," Zerobi lied, not really knowing Smugleaf for anything other than what a Leaf Storm feels like, "He protected you well. I hope I did not hurt him and his partner too badly…"

"… Well…" Eve whispered while remembering what Umk had told her about the conclusion of their battle, "Compared to what they did to you…"

"Hey… Remember the days we spent at the river by Bill's House?" Zerobi reminisced while smiling, "Sitting and chatting… Reading magazines… Not a care in the world…"

"Those days are long gone," Eve spoke sternly, wondering if Zerobi honestly thought they could pretend Evolution's Gate never happened, "And they are not coming back."

"I know," Zerobi answered with dismay, but her smile never faded, "Things are different… For both of us."

This was as far as she would get, Zerobi thought. It was a bit unrealistic to try and rekindle their friendship with a past surrounded by murder, betrayal and blood. Just talking to Eve after all this time was enough, and definitively a step up from what could have happened in this meeting. It felt so strange to see Eve looking so grown up, despite still being unevolved. Zerobi attributed part of this due to Eve's lightly sagging belly, still not believing what she was seeing. Wishing she could stay around longer, she felt it was time to retreat before the pleasant encounter had the chance to turn sour.

"Thanks for hearing me out. I'm not sure what to say… Just…" Zerobi said while bowing in respect, "Please… Do not suffer any more for my mistakes."

She turned around to leave, relieved to see no one outside had notice her little intrusion. She wondered how this all seemed to Eve, watching her disappear into the darkness of the night one last time. Was she being too hasty? Should she try to-

"Wait," a voice sounded from behind. Zerobi turned around, shocked to see Eve jumping off the bed and walking towards her.

"I didn't… I mean…" Eve fumbled with her words as she looked up at the surprised Weavile, feeling very weird inside. She had always assumed Zerobi hated her, only acting like her friend to keep together Evolution's Gate. The rise and fall of Evolution's Gate was merely the catalyst that tore them asunder, Zerobi finally showing her true colors. Believing her dead all this time, their brief encounter in Snowpoint City made Eve imagine the malicious Weavile plotting revenge for seven years, not sitting and crying her eyes out over what had happened. Despite being the perpetrator, could the tragedy have affected her nearly as badly as her victims?

"… I hated what you did," Eve admitted as she straightened her legs, "But I never hated… You."

Zerobi's mouth fell open, wondering why Eve would deny something like that. But Eve knew that although they had drifted far and away from one another, their past was intertwined whether they liked it or not. Their friendship had been unbreakable, at least that seemed to be what Zerobi was banking on. They would never have what they had then, but that did not mean they could not share anything.

"If… If you want to come back and talk another time…" Eve said quietly, hoping she was not making a mistake. Zerobi looked at her with a stunned expression before smiling and nodding. Suddenly hesitating with her notion of leaving, Zerobi forced herself back out the window, knowing that her old friend needed time to think things over.

They both spent the rest of the evening mulling their moments together in the good old times, blind to the future and the misfortune it would bring. Dreaming of growing up to be a Vaporeon, or discovering the many secrets of the world. Hugging a doll of a Wigglytuff, or reading the latest issue of Occult Magazine. Exploring caves or lying by the riverside, or even just staying up at night to watch scary movies on Halloween. No Snivy, no Lucario. No police, no legendaries. Just two children, doing insignificant things that left no impact on their lives or the world as a whole whatsoever.

So happy together.
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

So the reunion went better than I thought it would. Though it might not be that way next time. I liked the chapter, as it strays from the depression the last few chapters had, instead replaced with Zerobi and Eve's longing for the days before Evolution's Gate.
    Three most annoying things:

1. Metal Mario
    2. Arrogance
    3. Writer's Block

Chapter 94

Competence: Industry vs. Inferiority

Finally. Applicants from Unova – Verified. Petition for a moat – Rejected. Oh no, what's this? Apartment 151 'renovation'? I suppose that one could wait. Really need a break. Let me work things out while on the way to the stash, I'll feel more relaxed once it's done. Maybe? Hopefully. I need to get some damn sleep.

Stupid Seif. "Hey Zoroark, why are you so tired? Oh, nothing, just being haunted by a ten year old trauma whenever I close my eyes." Fifteen years? Whatever, too long ago. Why can't I forget about it already? Not to mention Darkrai reopening old wounds. I'll never sleep again at this rate. Maybe I should inquire Lucario regarding what he did to cure Celebi's insomnia? What could it possibly be? A drug? A… Hug? Hahaha, no. That's silly.

Let's just get it over with. So… Apartment 151. I wonder if the humans appreciate the irony? They must have cleared out trees and bushes in order to construct that building, and now we are de-constructing it just to get all of that back. A bit worrisome that they needed to contact me all the way out here about how to proceed. They are loyal, but this is not exactly helping my goal to keep No Man's Land functioning without me.

Getting dark outside. What a mysterious atmosphere, feels like anything could take place. A theft or a murder, requiring the full attention of an equally secretive detective, the inquisitive Private Investigator Zoroark… Hmm. Is that the kind of career I could have ended up with, had things been different? With mom and dad still around… Would I ever have turned out the way I did? Had they spoiled me and made me into some airhead bimbo? Now there's a thought. And a scene. Blech.

There we have it. Our… Distillery? Ethanol storage? More like "Ethan storage" as of late… Perhaps some Pokémon would consider a free stack of booze to be an asset. The very same Pokémon lying in a ditch and humming tunes about a saucy Meloetta with overactive ovaries while a trainer gently taps them on the forehead with a Pokéball. And suddenly it's MY concern to set them free!? We do not have the luxury to be drunk and careless - One week in the desert and they would agree.

And there's Lucario. Well, at least the place is tidy. Kind of hoped he wouldn't be lying flat on the floor like that, blacked out… Can he even tell I'm here? I think I saw him blink. Did he blink? Oh, now he's looking at me. Are you going to say something? No? Let's just get this over with quickly, then. Apartment 151 awaits my permission for destruction.

"Before I tell you this, I want you to realize something," I say out loud. Still just staring at me. I think he's listening, but who can tell? Let's hope those big ears of his aren't just for fighting.

"I am not weak," I keep going, "I have survived dangers that would kill a thousand men. I have withstood hardships that would place its mark upon history as catastrophic. I did it all on my own, and what little 'assistance' I was given I could easily have done without."

OK, he gets it. No need to go into details. I'll let him know about my childhood some other time.

"Darkrai would have been no different," I continue and shake my head, "He may have attacked my mind, but my body remained unharmed. No matter what the situation, I would have come out of it alive and stronger than ever."

He's giving me a weird look. I'm not the one passed-out drunk and lying on the floor, you idiot. Does he think I came here to boast, or something? Wait, I guess it does kind of seem like that. Better stop acting so haughty.

"But… It was still… Fairly unpleasant…" I say while lowering my voice and thinking back, "And from what I remember, you pushed me out of Darkrai's reach to shorten the duration of the attack, and carried me away to prevent it from happening again."

Ugh. Darkrai. Hope he doesn't ask me to describe it. Probably the… Second worst thing to ever happen to me. Actually, I should feel a bit insulted. After what I've been through, does that wretched specter think that hell and all the mind-shattering torture within had anything new to show me!?

Slipping from the subject here. Have to hurry. Apartment 151.

"… Again, I did in no way request your help," I elaborate, "It is because of me and my planning that you were there to begin w…"

Oh god, why is this so hard? Just a term. It won't kill me. Just look him in the eyes, focus on the eyes…

"… What I'm trying to say, is…" I continue while swallowing and mustering up willpower, "… Thank you. Thank you for saving me."

There. Did I just shiver? Why would I do that? And no reaction from Lucario, either. Fine, be that way. What a waste of time.

"Get over it or sit here forever, it is up to you," I say while turning around, "I will not judge or force you to do anything. You have earned that much."

Not a single word as I leave. He must think I'm a pretty cold person… Well, don't force me into a monologue, you idiot! I'd get more of a conversation talking to one of those computer-things! Why is he like this? Guess he was more attached to Mew than I imagined.

Can't believe she actually died… If someone like her can be struck down so easily, what chances do I have? And to lose such a valuable ally to our cause so quickly, I sure don't get any breaks. Of course, I bet she could've usurped my position rather easily to take charge of No Man's Land, but I'd like to see her do the daily grind and all the menial paperwork that comes with…

… Paperwork? Oh yeah, apartment 151. Ah, how annoying, can't even spare five minutes to put together a plan to save a friend. At least Zerobi is following the lead I gave her regarding that Eevee and Snivy, and seems to be keeping it together so far. Can I trust her to help out Lucario in my absence? Probably not. But what can be done? Can't get rid of the stash, can't seal it up, can't trust that Gengar to…

Wait.

Aha!

I think I've got it.

Can I make a difference in the world?

Chapter 95

Will: Autonomy vs. Shame and Doubts

Another drink, another nap. Lulled to sleep by the sound of his own stomach growling, Lucario was finding the routine a bit tiresome, but still considered it preferable to facing the reality that hated him so. What was reality, anyway? His worries were not tangible, only fragments of his imagination that he himself had created. A few bottles of beer and they were gone, vanished into whatever place they had spawned from and should probably have stayed in.

While not exactly in possession of a license, Lucario was swiftly finding out that drinking and sleeping was another dangerous combination. His dreams would turn more and more surreal, while still bring so vivid that after waking up he could barely tell if something had actually taken place. Was Mew really dead? Did Darkrai even exist? Was Zerobi a real person, or just an imaginary friend?

"Ahh! What do you think you're doing with my liver!?" a voice sounded in Lucario's ears. A voice he did not recognize, yet something about it was so familiar it almost sounded like it had come out of his own mouth.

As it turns out, it did. Although the entire world was currently a dancing blur of colors, before him he could see a literal reflection of himself. A Lucario like him, with no spikes and no lack of yellow chest hair. Thinking someone had dragged a mirror into his resting place to make him realize what a slob he had become, Lucario realized the other Lucario was standing upright in a fashion that looked surprisingly comfortable, a posture he himself had never used. Staring into his own face staring back at him was an unusual feeling, but with his higher brain functions on extended leave due to sleep and alcohol, Lucario had no intention of questioning the situation at hand.

"It's mine now," Lucario replied cockily to the Pokémon whose body he now inhabits, waving around his right arm in a boastful manner. Cyon looked at it almost enviously before turning his gaze back to Lucario's face.

"That doesn't give you the right to ruin it like this!" Cyon pointed out while stomping his foot into the unusually colorful soil, "I already dealt with one trainer to keep my body intact, so don't think I won't treat you the same, Ethan!"

"So, what're you gonna do about it?" Lucario taunted with a quiet snicker, wondering how it would feel to get punched by his own hand.

"Guess I could remind you that you're in the precious body I left behind," Cyon growled while tapping his chest, most likely around the spot where Deoxys had dealt the finishing blow, "Remember how Mew fixed it up for you? You owe it to her to take good care of it!"

Lucario's face drooped. Even in this kind of nonsense scenario he was mercilessly reminded of his greatest failure. If he could not forget about it after drinking himself into mindless oblivion, would he ever be free?

"Hey…" Lucario muttered while laying down his head on the crate, "… I'm done. You can take your body back now."

While Lucario stared off to the side, Cyon appeared before him. The spikeless Lucario had never moved, but simply changed location in a blink.

"… I can't," Cyon answered hesitantly, "I don't even exist anymore. I'm probably just a hallucination brought about by your overconsumption of alcohol."

"Then stop whining, damn it!" Lucario shouted and slammed down his fist. He knew he had fallen far, but he was not about to take any lip or mockery from non-existent phantoms. For a hallucination, Cyon was showing a surprising amount of interest, inspecting Lucario from every angle with an inquisitive look.

"I don't like you…" he said after a few moments, "… But I hate watching you kill yourself even more. Don't forget that you have things left to do."

"No kidding. Plenty of friends left to see die for my sake," Lucario replied before finally noticing that the dream he currently drifted in had been heartless enough to separate him from his precious beer, "I'm saying, it'd be better if that didn't happen."

"Fine…" Cyon said while shrugging and lowering his head, "Just… One thing."

The dead Lucario fastened a vicious stare into the dead Human. This being an encounter deep inside his own mind, Lucario knew exactly what Cyon was referring to.

"… Rukario…" Lucario muttered with disdain, "What, settle down…? Raise a family…?"

"Absolutely not! She's much too good for a dreg like you," Cyon said sharply while pointing at Lucario, "But… I don't want her to suffer anymore. Tell her what happened to me, so that she can move on with her life."

Lucario began flailing his hand around, needing a drink badly and trying to make the bottle reappear. Explaining his past as a human was one thing. Explaining that he was currently talking with the ghost of Rukario's boyfriend inside his head was another. The inevitable stink of alcohol on his breath was sure to make his ridiculous story seem all the more plausible, he thought. Had it been Zerobi or someone, he might at least have given it a try. However, Rukario had suffered enough by his hands. He kept thinking of the time he had punched her in the face for no good reason, and that she not unlike Mew had given everything just to save his unworthy hide. Just the notion of seeing her again filled him with despair.

"… Do I have to…?" Lucario whispered with a frown, "… I'm feeling guilty enough as it is…"

"Then help her out, and maybe some of it will go away," Cyon said while dunking him in the back, expertly avoiding every single invisible scar with his huge hands, "Come on. I'm dead, otherwise I'd do it."

Annoyed by the incessant chatter of the bothersome ghost, Lucario reluctantly nodded and sighed.

"I've died too, you know," he mumbled and wished he could remember his final day as a human.

"Sucks, doesn't it?" Cyon chuckled with recognition. Lucario found himself smiling for some reason as he leaned back.

"Mmm… But I got a few interesting encounters out of it," Lucario said to the imagination of the Pokémon whose body he now inhabits. He was thinking of all the crazy things he had experienced after leaving the shackles of his old body. There had been a lot of pain and little fun, but somehow he looked back at everything with a sense of nostalgia. If he was given the choice to go back and prevent it all from happening, he would find himself stumped on how to proceed.

As addled as he was, Lucario suddenly realized this was a great opportunity to find out a thing or two from Cyon.

"So… Mind telling me what this is?" Lucario asked while running a hand through the hair on his chest, feeling the rigid surface of scar tissue.

"No refunds," Cyon answered sheepishly, thinking Ethan really ungrateful to be complaining about a body he stole.

"I don't want refunds, I want explanations," Lucario continued with a sneer as memories of No Man's Land entered his mind, "And that big guy, Connor… He called me by your name. Tell me what that's about."

Cyon shrugged.

"How should I know?" he said with a mocking expression, "I'm just a figment of your imagination."

Lucario grunted and shook his head. Turns out Cyon was completely useless, and the dream had long since stepped over the boundaries of what was too confusing for his taste. He'd had enough. Without hands designed for pinching, he opted for biting down on his lower lip, watching with immediate satisfaction as Cyon was pulled away from him. Drunk or not, no one was hijacking his mind while he was still in charge.

"But if you really want answers…" a voice echoed in his head, "… I bet Rukario knows."

Unfitting colors and light-headedness vanished as Lucario woke up. The world was just as dreary as he remembered, sitting alone with a few crates, an empty bottle of beer and a decently sized mirror.

Is it OK for me to continue being me?

Wooo, short and sweet, but it's good to know that Ethan/Lucario has enough of a conscience to still do what's right.

I want Zerobi to get together with him, dammit, so much teasing throughout the story.

I look forward to another chapter.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

Time, there's never enough of it but it's always there to waste.
    -Azurus

Lightbulb Gengar makes a second appearance...

I KNEW that Gengar would make a second appearance! I just got the timing wrong... I thought that it was Gengar when Darkrai made his appearance. Eh, well I guess it can't be helped. I can never seem to predict anything that happens in your story.

I can't say that I expected Gengar to be much more than a secondary character much like Whimsiscott, or at least in this story, Astrid. He makes two minor appearances, and suddenly becomes a major character in one chapter! Well, I guess this doesn't change the character hierarchy in terms of 'main-ness' too much. It was an unexpected twist. So HE must have been the person that stole Mew's mother's life. That's who Lugia was talking about.

These last few chapters seem to be following a trend. All of them start with Lucario being drunk, and end with either him or someone else inquiring to no one in particular about their current or past actions. Your story has always had plenty of introspection, and this is where I think it peaks.

I sure hope you don't plan on ending the story once you fill the character circle that you've been using for every recent chapter. I don't want to know when exactly this story is going to die, you see. I know that this is the last 'year' in the story, and that we're past the climax, but you must know how I feel without me going into detail, right? There are too many loose ends that need tying up, you hear? When this story is finally over, I hope that you'll at least stick around to hear what people thought of your stories before you withdraw from the world of fanfiction completely. I can assure you that there will be a major azz-kissing coming from my and other people's direction.

Quote Originally Posted by DrewLols View Post
    I can't say that I expected Gengar to be much more than a secondary character much like Whimsiscott, or at least in this story, Astrid. He makes two minor appearances, and suddenly becomes a major character in one chapter! Well, I guess this doesn't change the character hierarchy in terms of 'main-ness' too much. It was an unexpected twist. So HE must have been the person that stole Mew's mother's life. That's who Lugia was talking about.
    Whimsis? Damn, that's a good nickname. Should've made him female.

Sadly, I have no idea how to make minor characters. Everyone has a lengthy backstory filled with cool stuff happening. For instance, the Whimsicott is an aspiring writer and faced severe persecution for this in a situation dealing with the difficulties Pokemon face in trying to create higher art, not to mention the unforgettable event that bought him and Zoroark together.

Will any of this ever be shown in the story? Not unless I can shoehorn it in, no.

The problem is that there's no way I can focus enough time on each character to show all this, meaning it was pretty much wasted effort. I mean, something very unexpected happened Astrid between Evo's Gate and THS... Too bad I'm the only one who knows about it!

As for the Gengar, now you know why he suddenly woke up back in No Man's Land! In fact, why do you think he was there in the first place? Remember that report on TV waaaay back in Twisted Pokémon Professor, mentioning the sighting of a Mew near a truck (which was actually Zoroark's illusion)?

These last few chapters seem to be following a trend. All of them start with Lucario being drunk, and end with either him or someone else inquiring to no one in particular about their current or past actions. Your story has always had plenty of introspection, and this is where I think it peaks.
    I mean, if the peak of introspection wasn't when I went through each of Erikson's stages of psychosocial development, this story is WAY too introspective.

I sure hope you don't plan on ending the story once you fill the character circle that you've been using for every recent chapter. I don't want to know when exactly this story is going to die, you see. I know that this is the last 'year' in the story, and that we're past the climax, but you must know how I feel without me going into detail, right? There are too many loose ends that need tying up, you hear? When this story is finally over, I hope that you'll at least stick around to hear what people thought of your stories before you withdraw from the world of fanfiction completely. I can assure you that there will be a major azz-kissing coming from my and other people's direction.
    Don't worry, I've written nothing I couldn't tie up properly. One way or another, I won't leave any loose ends behind!

We'll see what happens when it's all over. In the end, this was just an unpopular fanfiction, and I doubt too many got so involved that they would bother with me after it's done. All I could offer were moments of excitement and sadness, very intense at one time but soon to be forgotten.

I do believe it's a bit naive to consider oneself unscathed at the end of any story. Personally, I am very careful about what I read and watch, because for good or bad, that story will be part of the past that shapes me for the rest of my life. Isn't it strange? You couldn't tell me apart from a homeless man, we probably live millions of miles away from each other, yet part of your past was my doing. THAT is a weird feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurus View Post
    I want Zerobi to get together with him, dammit, so much teasing throughout the story.
    It's funny, because initially I kept them apart to preserve the realism. I was so tired of cliched romances where two people hook up after knowing absolutely nothing about each other and having been together for like a day or a week or a month. Anyway, by the time that became a full year and countless emotional moments together, it was starting to become UNREALISTIC for them to at least not try getting together!

I won't be a coward who keeps them on edge forever, but while I can guarantee a resolution, but I can't guarantee it to be what you wish for. Maybe Zerobi will succumb to her bloodlust and kill everyone? Maybe Lucario's brain will spontaneously explode one day? Don't think I wouldn't!

Chapter 96

Fidelity: Identity vs. Role Confusion

It was a shoddy mirror, for sure. Dirty, bent and cracked in the corner. Lucario didn't know why he expected better, being out in the wilderness and all. Of course, the biggest issue was that the mirror was somehow broken enough to be reflecting the wrong thing. In it he saw a hunching Pokémon with a bottle of beer in his freakishly overgrown paw, instead of a confident human in the prime of his youth, carrying a Pokéball in one hand and a delicious sandwich in the other.

He could picture it now. A confident smirk, worn only by men that knew neither fear nor defeat. A red jacket for protection from the elements, and shorts for perfect mobility. In the case of the latter he did not have to stretch his imagination too far, again remembering he had yet to replace Cyon's old trousers or even give them a more thorough cleaning than what could be offered by the river and a good, solid rock. Were he still human he would have a washing machine, not to mention bedding and food. How he longed for those days.

"Hey, stupid," a voice sounded, "Look at me when I'm talking to you."

Lucario had no intention of lifting his head to greet whoever was coming to forcibly drag him out of his misery. Arguing with Zerobi and Celebi had only brought him down even more. Hopefully whoever this was would leave faster if he ignored them, like with Zoroark. He stared into the mirror while feigning unawareness, only to realize the inconspicuous apparatus for reflection had finally started working. In the mirror was not a sulking Lucario, but a healthy human being he recognized all too well.

"That's better," Ethan said while gesturing towards Lucario, whose mouth fell open.

"… The hell?" was all Lucario could say to the peculiar yet nostalgic sight.

"I could say the same," Ethan replied with an uncaring shrug, "But if Cyon gets a round with you, that means I do too."

"But… You're me," Lucario mumbled breathlessly. Ethan's voice was definitively his own from before he transformed, sounding a bit off as if coming out of a recording. First Cyon, and now this. Was the mirror magical? It would not be the most implausible thing he had encountered so far. Or maybe was someone playing a prank on him? Idly observing the room and realizing the amount of empty bottles were about to reach three digits, he felt that if the second impossible illusion wasn't enough to get him to stop drinking, nothing would be.

Deciding that things weren't strange enough already, Ethan stepped out of the mirror and sat down next to Lucario. Although normally somewhat shorter, their heads ended up on the same level thanks to Ethan keeping his back straight while Lucario was still hunching over.

"Listen. What are you doing?" Ethan asked while looking at him, "You're going to lose all your friends if you keep this up."

"Big talk, coming from a guy who gave away all his Pokémon…" Lucario muttered slowly and stared into the wall, not really in the mood to humor his own restless brain. Ethan followed his stare and sighed.

"Seems I have a tendency for that," he muttered, "You know. Being an idiot."

"What, so we're idiots now? Just because we can't take all this ****?" Lucario exclaimed while raising his voice, "You were fed up with being a trainer. I'm fed up with being a punching bag. Heck, mom was fed up with being a mom! I'm just carrying on the family tradition!"

They looked at each other following the outburst, both human and Pokémon sharing the same expression of defiance.

"… Am I really this stubborn?" Ethan said after a moment of silence, placing his elbows on the crate while gesturing with his hands, "Alright, let me try to explain – Stubbornness will only last you so long."

"Stubbornness is the only thing keeping me going…" Lucario grumbled, wondering if this Ethan even knew about the brutal fights he had been through.

"Precisely," Ethan said before leaning in close, "You can sit here and drink… Being alone and sad… But eventually, you won't be able to take it anymore, and by then it'll be too late to go back to the way things were. Everyone will have abandoned you, because you abandoned them first."

"YOU'RE the one who abandoned your Pokémon!" Lucario shouted, wondering what gave his past the right to lecture his present.

"And every day of my life, I regretted it!" Ethan shouted back. Both of them displayed the same dumbfounded expression, despite being of two completely different species.

"It's true. I came to hate being a trainer, but it was ingrained in my blood… I was addicted to it…" Ethan elaborated as he shrugged, "I knew that to quit, there could be nothing for me to go back to. I released all my Pokémon and stepped down at the peak of my triumph, ruining everything I had spent the past decade building up…"

"It worked," Lucario replied. No one heard anything about Ethan ever again, not even when he died nine years later.

"Yeah, but…" Ethan started, but trailed off as he glanced to the side.

"You missed the exciting lifestyle?" Lucario tried to fill in, being the same person after all.

"No…" Ethan replied while looking a bit unsure of himself.

"You… Had to get a real job and realized being a trainer wasn't so bad after all?" Lucario continued predicting.

"No…" Ethan repeated.

"Then…?" Lucario kept prying as Ethan finally looked back at him, obviously about to admit something he never had any intention of telling anyone.

"… I missed my Pokémon!" Ethan shouted, but for some reason it did not harm Lucario's ears. This being part of a dream had something to do with it, he figured.

"I was a goddamn idiot who traded his friends for a new start at life!" Ethan continued rambling as he grit his teeth, "The ones I had been with since they hatched, like Misdreavus… The ones that had been with me since I was a kid, like Chica… I couldn't stop thinking about them! It haunted me every second of my life!"

"You could've just gone to see them," Lucario said, finding it very strange to be seeing the world from a trainer's viewpoint for once.

"Don't you think I wanted to!? Don't you think…" Ethan burst out as he grabbed a hold of Lucario's head… Or at least tried to, his hands not even bending a single hair on the Pokémon's poorly groomed face. He let go and sunk down in his seat.

"I was… Ashamed," Ethan whispered, realizing his role was merely to talk and never again act, "I couldn't find the life or peace I abandoned my ambitions for. What the hell was I going to say…? Hey, remember me? Former champion, current drifter? Spare some change?"

"You…" Lucario muttered as he suddenly gave off a disgusted expression, "… We begged for cash?"

"Hell no! We were loaded after winning so much!" Ethan exclaimed before raising his voice further, "That's not the point! The point is that I was supposed to be the one who found a new life… But everyone moved on but me! I couldn't stop thinking about my former life… The friends I gave up… And… And…"

Ethan suddenly fell quiet, showing a bemused expression. He clenched his fists and stood up on the makeshift barstool.

"… Wait, that's not the point either! I don't exist anymore!" he yelled while pointing down at the drooping Lucario, "This is about you, Lucario! Don't make the same mistake I did!"

"… So, don't make the same mistake that I already made in a former life and completely forgot about…" Lucario said with a hint of amusement, "… Why worry?"

"Don't kid yourself thinking you're better off being lazy!" Ethan kept going as he leaped off the crate and smiled, "The traveling, the fighting, the constantly rising challenge… It's not easy, but you love it! I went nine years without directing a Pokémon, but the second I teamed up with Mew, a fire lit up inside me!"

A similar fire suddenly lit up inside Lucario as well, his eyes shooting wide open as he lifted his head.

"Oh! Wait!" he exclaimed hopefully, "You mean… The reason why Mew was so important to me… Is because of that? I somehow remembered something that happened to you two?"

The smile was beginning to diminish as Ethan crossed his arms, thinking to himself for a few seconds.

"Don't count on it," the former trainer said quietly, "You didn't even remember a single thing about Chica. Compared to her and the rest, Mew was nothing…"

Lucario exhaled as he fell back on the crate, relishing in the familiar sensation of having gotten excited over something, even if only for a moment. He was not sure what other name Ethan had said, since right now his mind was entirely on Mew again. As a result of that, Ethan's presence in the room seemed to drift away.

"Time's up for old times, I guess," Ethan said reluctantly as his voice steadily became weaker, "Which reminds me, say hi to Celebi for me… Ask her to make you that thing she made me… Tasted really good…"

Ethan's disappearance went unnoticed by Lucario, who was now focusing on a new desire roaring in chest. It was true – He had been acting lazy. For too long had he been sitting on his ***, not doing anything to improve his situation in life. No one was going to come help him, he would have to take matters into his own hands. He was not about to surrender to such a menial task. Today was a day of change.

Taking hold of the large mirror, Lucario mustered up all his powers and carried it outside the cave where he leaned it up against one of the walls.

And so, the deed was done. Somehow he always knew there was still immeasurable willpower resting within him. With this, he would no longer be bugged by restless phantoms of guilt. Feeling proud over his long day of hard work, he went back inside and cracked open another beer.

Who am I? What can I be?
    Last edited by ShadedSkies; 12th November 2013 at 2:08 AM.

Despite you saying it was an unpopular fanfiction, it is still a good one, and like you said, has left a mark on me.
    I enjoyed the end of this chapter just because of how amusing that was, but I'll be sad when the whole story is done and you move on from writing in this stories universe.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

-Azurus

Quote Originally Posted by ShadedSkies View Post
    Whimsis? Damn, that's a good nickname. Should've made him female.
    We'll see what happens when it's all over. In the end, this was just an unpopular fanfiction, and I doubt too many got so involved that they would bother with me after it's done. All I could offer were moments of excitement and sadness, very intense at one time but soon to be forgotten.
    Eh, maybe I was a bit overzealous. At least it was exciting for those of us reading it as it was being written. Lots of small chapters to read. I could never never churn through huge chapters since it was updated incrementally. It WAS the first well written fanfiction I ever came across, not that I haven't found more, so I might be a little bit biased in my opinions.

I won't be a coward who keeps them on edge forever, but while I can guarantee a resolution, but I can't guarantee it to be what you wish for. Maybe Zerobi will succumb to her bloodlust and kill everyone? Maybe Lucario's brain will spontaneously explode one day? Don't think I wouldn't!
    This is why this is my personal favorite fanfic and many other's. This is why this incredible fanfic has 41,370 views. Don't think that this isn't a popular fanfic. In fact, I'd be willing to go as far to say this is the fanfic that almost every reader puts at the top of their mind. 41,370 view is not something to scoff at.

It seems that my favorite days almost always have a chapter from this. This is my favorite fanfic.

Don't worry, we are all just hiding in the shadows. Also, if you are taking writing to a profession, please give some kind of information to help us find a book from you if you release a book.
    Last edited by joey1234; 12th November 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShadedSkies View Post
    You are being a bit too hard on yourself. This was a great story so far. This is probably one of the most realistic Pokemon fanfics out there. And THAT is saying something, considering this is Pokemon we are talking about. And don't say people didn't notice this. The story did win one or two fanfic awards, and the fic also got multiple nominations too. That shows that people have read your "unpopular" story, and really have enjoyed it so far. The only thing this story didn't get a lot of were comments, which shouldn't dictate the quality and popularity of the story. Just like you said, you have left a mark on people. We all expect a spectacular ending to this series (not to apply pressure or anything), and that means that we have enjoyed the ride so far.
    Last edited by JFought; 11th November 2013 at 5:17 AM.
    Three most annoying things:

1. Metal Mario
    2. Arrogance
    3. Writer's Block

Damn I was hoping to be the first to notice the use of Erik Erikson.

Yes, the very first fanfiction I ever read on this forum was Forever Legendary, which was, to put it lightly, incredible. I'm sure several here will and already have testified to the fact that your skills in storytelling are one of the best on the entire site. I'd be rather sad to see this go, because this was the first Pokemon fanfic series I've ever read and the one that I have kept up with the longest.

Don't lose faith.

Check out the forum World Beyblade Organization! It's a huge forum with over 85,000 members dedicated to the hobby of Beyblading! You can sign up here!

Pokemon X Friend Code: 1091-8184-3378
    Steel Type: , , and

I'll reply to everything later, for now have 2 new chapters!

Chapter 97

Purpose: Initiative vs. Guilt

"Get up, you drunken fool," a sinister and dry voice roused Lucario from his sleep. Something slender wrapped around his ears and pulled up his head from the crate, the pain heavily dulled by his inebriated state. Looking around to see who was being so rude, it took him a few moments to realize the Pokémon in question was a few feet shorter than he had expected.

"I am authorized to book you for six different crimes," Snivy said as he withdrew his vines from Lucario's ears, "I am also authorized to break your legs, if you would prefer that. I know I would."

The small snake-like Pokémon stared up at him with an ill-tempered expression. Lucario only faintly recalled their brief encounter back in Snowpoint City, and failed to be intimidated by the pint-sized Pokémon's threats.

"… You seem grumpy…" Lucario mumbled while flashing a sardonic smile, "… You know you deserved that kick to the face, right?"

"No, I didn't," Snivy replied bluntly, "And my wife sure as hell didn't, either."

The lizard jumped up on the crate Lucario was sitting next to, leveling their eyes despite his diminished stature. Lucario got the feeling Snivy wanted to say something to him, but could not fathom what.

"What do you want?" Lucario asked grouchily, "Here to 'comfort' me like everyone else?"

"Not a chance," Snivy answered while angling his head backwards to be able to look down on the Fighting-type, "Nothing pleases me more than your miserable hide finally getting what it deserves. Like expensive wine and a good movie, it is."

He let his attention stray from the fugitive as he peered around the room, locating a semi-opened crate a few feet away. Sending out a long vine, he reached into it and pulled out a fresh new bottle of booze, opening it with a flick of a razor-sharp leaf in his hands.

"No, I have a demand," Snivy muttered as he sniffed the drink, "Tell your girlfriend to stay away from my wife."

"My girlfriend…?" Lucario repeated with confusion, "… Your wife?"

Snivy eyed him with disdain before taking a swig from the comparatively large beer.

"Tell… Zerobi…" he elaborated, mouthing the words as if he had just tasted something terrible, "Tell her that if she does not leave Eve alone, I will make life very miserable for the both of you."

"Waaay too late for that, I'm afraid," Lucario responded, not entirely sure what he was talking about, "You think I have any control over what Zerobi's up to? If you're so worried, go 'protect' your wife and leave us alone."

"… While I was away, she was ambushed by… Zerobi…" Snivy explained while once more fumbling with the name, "… And coerced into thinking they were friends once, or something… And that they would have trouble reconciling if I were there…"

Silence reigned for a few moments as Lucario successfully put two and two together.

"… They threw you out?" Lucario asked before starting to laugh, "Hahaha! You're in the doghouse, man!"

"Shut up!" Snivy warned loudly while pointing a finger at the end of Lucario's long nose, "I will not be judged by a drunkard hobo like you!"

Giving off a snarky huff, Snivy sat down on the crate Lucario was leaning up against. He muttered to himself and wondered how he had found himself in such a strange situation, trying to ask a criminal for a favor while a serial killer occupied his place at home, happily chatting with his wife.

"Eight years of therapy… Eight years of nightmares…" Snivy whispered with a harrowed expression, "And Eve just… 'Gets over it'…? Impossible…"

Thinking back to the endless misery Evolution's Gate had caused their community, there was no other way of putting it. Eve had shown time and again to be just as much of a recluse as he was, but for her to cling on to a friendship with a literal murderer was absurd.

"If so, then how come…" Snivy continued and swallowed hard, "… How come I can't get over it? My child's about to enter this world, and I am still clinging on to what happened almost a decade ago…"

"Kid's gonna turn out to be a wimp," Lucario replied, wondering how rude he could be without actually punching the police officer, "Just like his dad."

Snivy sneered in his direction, obviously not unused to insults thrown his way.

"You bark like a rabid wilder," he grumbled in response while showing enviable restraint, "I shudder to think what manner of illegal activities was wrought upon the world by you and that… Zerobi…"

They sat there together for several minutes without saying a thing, lost in their own thoughts. Snivy continued sipping his drink, swishing the bland drink around his mouth in order to detect some manner of flavor. Lucario just swept down whatever he could, finding what little he could taste to be quite disgusting. The one to finally break the silence was Lucario's stomach, once again reminding him of his inevitable starvation.

"… Women, huh?" Snivy suddenly whispered with a dreamy expression, "Mysterious and unpredictable… But spend enough time with them, and you might even come to love 'em…"

"… Mmm…" Lucario mumbled in agreement. For some reason, the vision of Mew was the first to pop into his mind.

"Sometimes, I think…" Snivy continued as his face turned sour, "… That just makes them even harder to handle."

Thoughts about the future clouded his mind as Lucario continued thinking about the past. Feeling like he had spent enough time away from the hotel he was paying for, Snivy put his empty glass down.

"So, are you ready for prison?" he asked with a surprisingly amicable tone to his voice. Lucario twitched and swallowed, realizing he was in no shape to put up a fight. Should he call for help? Who would hear him out here? Snivy examined Lucario from head to toe before sighing and shaking his head.

"No, you are not," he said bitterly, "I know that look. The way you are now, there is nothing I could do to you. You would just sit there like a zombie all day and mutter about the cold."

Lucario raised his head, then lowered it again. Why risk his freedom by saying anything in response? Snivy seemed a little disappointed, having expected some manner of reaction from the fallen Pokémon.

"… Try mixing that with a slug of water," Snivy muttered before jumping down from the crate, "Makes it go down easier."

The small snake walked out of there without saying another word, realizing it was useless to reason with Lucario and already trying to figure out how to talk to his wife about Zerobi. Her pregnancy was supposed to be a beautiful time of their lives, not the resurgence of their most horrible trauma. As Snivy pondered his relationship and situation in life, Lucario found himself aware of the cause behind his previous hallucinations and was occupied with remembering the last time he actually had a source of clear water.

Am I still allowed to do, move and act?

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Chapter 97x

Grade School Reminiscence

The moon was generous this night. A universal lighthouse that lit up the otherwise pitch black ocean to save countless boats and lives from the remorseless shoals, all while illuminating the surface of the sea and allowing eager Water-Pokémon to stay up a few extra hours without fear of bumping their heads into one another by accident.

Lugia saw it from a different perspective. Safe from shoals and not carefree enough to loaf about after bedtime, the only relevance the bright moon carried was making it easier for others to spot the enormous legendary flying above the ocean's surface. He moved at great speed and all in all was a capable flier, but during shorter journeys he would always prefer swimming underwater. His massive bulk reduced to a tenth of his original weight, he was free to move as fluently and gracefully as he pleased. But to avoid detection from the sea's inhabitants during such a long journey, he was forced to stay out of their watery realm and remain airborne. It was tedious, and he found himself idle of thought in a matter of minutes.

At times like this, he often thought about his wife and children, and as of late, Mew. She was taking surprisingly long to finish up her duties in No Man's Land. He had managed to get rid of the dangerous Lucario fairly quickly, and had not expected her return to delay so. Feelings of unease crept up on him as he feared that something might have happened, that she was trapped and helplessly begging for help which would not come.

Lugia shook his head, dismissing his worries. Mew was not a child anymore. She had defeated Mewtwo, a feat beyond even his capabilities. Now that Lucario was out of the picture, there was not a single thing in this world capable of harming her. However, such had not always been the case, and Lugia found himself thinking of times when the complete opposite had been closer to the truth.

After all, Mew was the daughter of his precious friend. She was to be taken care of by Cresselia after his friend's passing, but the legendary of the moon became obsessed with hunting Darkrai and ended up shunning her assignment. In scarcely a year, the child Lugia had sworn to protect stood alone in the world with no one to supervise or teach her. However, fortune in misfortune, there was another legendary who shared her jinxed fate.

Tefay had been assigned as the original caretaker of Celebi's daughter, but was relieved of duty when Celebi somehow managed to survive. While no one could have predicted that the second child Zerobi would be the end of her, the sudden disappearance of the one who caused the impregnation came as no surprise to Lugia. The new generation's Celebi had neither parents nor caretakers, and a sister with no place among the legendaries.

Overwhelmed and out of options, Lugia sent the non-legendary child to a foster family, leaving her with nothing but a name and hopefully secret heritage. As for the new Mew and Celebi, it was decided that both would be taught by the wise Giratina, one of the very few Pokémon even Lugia might refer to as "old".

Lugia smiled to himself. Even then he had been haunted by needless worries over Mew, thinking Giratina would bite the dust and leave the children to fend for themselves. He frequently went to check up on them in the distant meadow where they resided in peace.

He remembered one time in particular, when he had come there and not seen a sign of any of them. Calling out, one of the rocky hills had begun to rumble, the aged Giratina showing his face. Moss grew over the legendary's large and grey body, letting him lie in camouflage as humans and Pokémon alike passed over him without even realizing it. His once proud clawed wings that were as black as the night now hung down the sides of his body, like long shreds of a grey tattered cloak.

"Where are Mew and Celebi?" Lugia asked while examining the area, seeing no sign of the two children. He could not help but notice that unusual apparel marked Giratina. Endless amounts of tiny doodles covered his face, suggesting that his two juvenile pupils had grown restless and played a prank while he was sleeping. Lugia was unsure whether Giratina realized this or not, figuring the mossy elder had not seen the reflection of a mirror in at least a century.

"I wonder…" Giratina whispered, following Lugia's gaze and looking around while his calm expression never changed.

"… Have I overestimated you?" Lugia asked as he felt a twinge of anger hit him, "Is taking care of two infants too much to ask of an old relic like yourself?"

"Patience," Giratina continued with a heavy sigh, "Exert befits you poorly, young one. Observe."

Lugia felt rather annoyed at being called young, having lived several decades longer than your average Pokémon. Wanting to go out to search for the two, he suddenly saw two small figures moving at the edge of the clearing, zooming through the air towards Giratina at a brisk pace. Lugia felt his worry melt away and forced himself to calm down, not wanting to intimidate the innocent children.

Celebi had grown a little since the last time he had seen her, a pair of feelers beginning to sprout out of her forehead. Perhaps she had even gained a centimeter or two in height, but it was not easy for someone as large as Lugia to determine. A spitting image of her mother, he knew she would not be growing much more in size anyway. She was turning out to be a clever and compassionate legendary, showing promise with her botanical skills and appearing fit to care for the flora of the world. Lugia could only hope that her sister Zerobi was displaying equal excellence among the ranks of regular Pokémon, finding peace and never agonizing over her unknown origins.

Mew came up swiftly from behind, Lugia wincing as she narrowly avoided a branch by ducking her head in the last second. She was just as skilled as Celebi if not more, but Lugia could not help but pay extra note to her flying, ready to swoop in and grab her should she lose focus. Had she even aged at all? Lugia saw her body looking fragile and helpless like always, her fetus-like appearance making her appear to have left the womb too early. Indeed, had her birth been delayed but another year, Lugia might have been able to spend more time with his dear friend…

"Uncle Tina! Uncle Tina!" Celebi screamed with a shrill voice, carrying a small object in her hands with Mew following closely behind. Lugia left his inner musings and felt his departed worries quickly return. Although they both were but a fraction of his size, he was certain he could have pinpointed their ridiculously panicked expressions from miles away. They ignored him and went directly for Giratina, stopping in front of one of his massive eyes.

"Mew killed it!" Celebi yelled, holding up the object in her hands.

"Did not!" Mew protested, soaring up to Celebi and trying to take whatever it was away from her.

"Did too!" Celebi retorted and tightened her grip around it.

"You're the one who plucked it!" Mew yelled while trying to pry Celebi's hands open.

"You're the one who blew it up!" Celebi argued before her hands accidentally dropped the object, making both of them gasp in terror. Lugia squinted as the tiny object slowly dwindled towards the ground, trying to see what it was they were arguing about. In a gentle arcing motion, it suddenly began to drift upwards, its fall reversed by Giratina's telekinesis as he moved it closer to his face.

"Is that…" Giratina said as he examined the object, a thin stalk with a thick knob on the top, "… A dandelion?"

"No!" Celebi huffed before pointing accusingly at Mew, "It was a flower! White and pretty before Mew killed it!"

"I-I'm sorry!" Mew replied with a shaky voice, seemingly on the verge of tears as she gazed at the stringy flower before her, "I-I don't know what I did, I j-just looked at it and… And…"

Lugia felt like he should intervene and do something, remembering himself to be the child's guardian. Even so, he had only promised to protect her, and did not know where to start when it came to comforting her. He knew himself incapable of replacing her mother in every regard, but felt he should at least try.

"Calm down," Giratina said before Lugia had time to act, smiling and speaking with simpler terms than Lugia had come to expect of the ancient being, "A dandelion IS a flower. A very special type of flower."

Inhaling slightly and then gently blowing out, Giratina accidentally conjured up a hurricane for his tiny pupils. Both Mew and Celebi flailed about in surprise, the two inexperienced legendaries having a little trouble stabilizing themselves in midair. As the powerful gust rushed past them, several white fuzzy things tore away from their bodies and soared up into the sky. Giratina used his psychic powers to grab a hold of one of them, patiently waiting for his students to settle down.

"Mew, you did not cause the dandelion any harm," Giratina explained calmly, Mew's head perking up hopefully, "Rather, you fulfilled its purpose in life."

"Ah!" Celebi gasped as Giratina brought the miniature cotton-like thing in front of them, "That's a piece of the daddy lion!"

"Yes… And no," Giratina corrected, "This is a seed. From this, a new dandelion will grow."

"But… But…" Mew stammered with a lump in her throat, "How? They were flying, not… Burrowing…"

"The white segment functions as a parachute, which allows for a safe landing," Giratina explained while slowly turning the seed to the side, "All it needs is to hit the soil. The more scattered it is from its brethren, the better, so even a slight puff of wind is enough to send them on their way."

Celebi and Mew stared at the miniscule piece of the flower, examining it from every angle with amazement. After a few moments, Mew's face suddenly turned into a frown as she pointed at Celebi.

"But… That means YOU killed it!" she accused her friend, realizing their roles had been reversed.

"… What!?" Celebi exclaimed in shock, looking at the ruined flower before gazing at Giratina with pleading eyes, "No! Please, don't die! Uncle Tina, save it!"

"Pay it no mind," Giratina said while slowly shaking his head and letting go of the broken plant, "You only ripped off the stalk. From the roots, several new dandelions will grow to replace that one."

Celebi gasped, and quickly dove down to catch the flower in mid-air as it dwindled down.

"But… But…" she stammered while hugging the stalk close to her chest in protection, "This is my daddy lion! I… I'm the one who…"

"You did not harm it either," Giratine explained while refraining from shooting Mew a dirty look, "Spreading its seeds was the purpose that dandelion had in life. After that, it would have wilted on its own."

Celebi stared up at him with a stubborn expression, refusing to let go of the dead plant. Meanwhile, Mew's expression brightened as she smiled.

"See? I told you we didn't do anything bad!" she said reassuringly while flying up next to Celebi. Knowing that Giratina was not about the break character as the benevolent grandfather any time soon, Lugia realized it was up to him teach the two children about reality.

"You BOTH did bad!" Lugia exclaimed with a strict tone, "Why were you out looking at flowers in the first place? You know you are not supposed to leave this area!"

Mew's smile faded, and Celebi clutched the flower harder, her absolutely non-existent physical strength barely even causing the stalk to bend.

"And that dandelion is not a flower, it is weed!" Lugia continued, needing to set things straight, "An unprofitable, troublesome and noxious growth! All the real flowers would have benefitted had you properly destroyed it!"

Like her mother before her, Celebi was to be the caretaker of flora. For her to be given misinformation at such an early stage in life was unacceptable. Both Mew and Celebi stared off to the side in embarrassment, not willing to face him.

"But… It was so pretty…" Mew whispered in defiance. Lugia muttered quietly, both tiny legendaries developing an attitude he did not approve of. Could the responsibility of the future truly ride on their shoulders? Obviously Giratina felt that enough was enough, interjecting between them with a deep murmur.

"Appearances can be deceiving, my dear," he explained calmly, lifting both legendaries up to his eyes with telekinesis like a sustained gust of wind, "For all you know, it could have been poisonous. If you must ignore my warnings and sneak out again, at least remember to never touch… And stay far away from anything that moves."

"But if they can't fly-" Celebi started as Mew's tail suddenly jumped into action, the thick end covering the front of her mouth.

"Shh!" Mew hushed her friend with a meaningful expression. Not knowing what else this behavior could be about, Lugia figured the younger of the mischievous duo had almost spilled the secret of their little prank against Giratina. However, this proved to be a faulty assumption as the two girls looked at each other for a moment before nodding in agreement.

"We found a monster!" Mew revealed with an excited voice. Giratina and Lugia stared in awe as both Mew and Celebi's faces broke into endless amazement.

"It was big! Really big!" Celebi shouted while reaching out with her arms, the itty bitty sprout failing to properly represent anything of large proportions, "It had a tailbone-"

"But no tail!" Mew interrupted as she wiggled her toes, "And so many toes! It can probably carry things with its feet! We saw that it had an extra eyelid, and when it looked at us-"

"It saw you!?" Lugia suddenly burst out with a terrified voice.

"N-No!" Mew immediately responded, her eyes opening wide. Seeing that his sudden yell had scared her, Lugia sighed and tried changing his tone.

"It saw you," he said calmly. Mew stared at him for a second before reluctantly looking down at the ground.

"… Yes," she admitted before lifting her head again, "B-But it couldn't fly or anything! It couldn't reach us!"

The tiny legendaries continued chatting delightfully about the peculiar being, the two elders exchanging a quiet look of disdain as it slowly became clear that Mew and Celebi had just had their very first encounter with the human species. It seemed the time had come to stop trying to preserve the children's innocence, and finally begin to instruct them about the dangers of the real world.

BLORP

The sound from out of a nightmare awoke Lugia from out of his daydream, no longer finding himself in a grassy meadow but hovering above the sea at night. The sound emanated from a massive bubble of air that had crawled up from the depths and burst by the surface. The size of the bubble told him that he had reached his target… Quite a bit sooner than expected. Had his reminiscing made him lose track of time? It was the most reasonable explanation, as the notion that she had moved this far away from her usual habitat carried far too many unfortunate implications.

"… Foolishness…" Lugia muttered to himself. He would forever be burdened by paranoia and worries of the worst kind. Even now, he wanted nothing more but to race for land to find out if everything was still alright with his family, friends and Mew. Still, they were all legendaries, not only powerful but also revered. Lugia knew that should misfortune befall Mew, one of the Earth's many other creatures would protect their savior now that he was not there. Like always, he was worrying over something he could do nothing about. But perhaps that was enough? Mew was the world's most powerful psychic, after all. If he wished hard enough, she might sense just how much he thought of her, praying that she would be safe.

Feeling recharged with determination for the task at hand, Lugia took a deep breath and dove into the black ocean. Darkness covered his being as he disappeared into a reflection of the moon, the waves scattering the solemn picture.

Oh, Lucario didn't do anything about that sudden revelation... He disappoints me.

As for Snivy, would he even have been able to take him to prison anyway? He got knocked out so easily before.

Lugia seems to be a worrywort, a big one at that. I wonder as to the purpose of his memories now, so late in the story.

Waiting for more conclusion, keep it coming.

-Azurus

but I'll be sad when the whole story is done and you move on from writing in this stories universe.
    Hopefully I won't be leaving you hungry, 151 chapters and all. Odds are bigger you'll end up hating the story before it comes to a close, after all! Have to work my *** off to keep things interesting up until the end...

It WAS the first well written fanfiction I ever came across, not that I haven't found more, so I might be a little bit biased in my opinions.
    What's the point of opinions if they're not allowed to be biased? Cherish 'em, spread 'em and be ready to defend 'em!

Quote Originally Posted by joey1234 View Post
    It seems that my favorite days almost always have a chapter from this.
    Might just be because I usually upload new stuff on Fridays, to celebrate the weekend. Is there a particular weekday you'd like me to dispatch new chapters on?

Quote Originally Posted by joey1234 View Post
    Also, if you are taking writing to a profession, please give some kind of information to help us find a book from you if you release a book.
    I suppose I could publish something digitally. You guys wouldn't mind paying for what you've been getting for free for three years and could still be getting through every download site in the world, right? I don't condemn piracy, but it has turned a few mediums into an unsustainable business. Looking at it rationally, there's just no incentive to publish a book anymore, because the risks are high while the rewards are low.

Quote Originally Posted by JFought View Post
    The only thing this story didn't get a lot of were comments, which shouldn't dictate the quality and popularity of the story.
    You've got a point, but I just love comments so much, if this hueg post is any indication. One might say I'm in this whole thing for the comments, the reactions.

Quote Originally Posted by JFought View Post
    We all expect a spectacular ending to this series (not to apply pressure or anything), and that means that we have enjoyed the ride so far.
    Oh, how I wish I could tell you the ending right now. Screw conventions, let's skip everything and jump ahead to the final climax! Today! Everything ends with this post!

… Huh? What, buildup? Plot development? That scene with a Viddrer that will make people remember this post, jump back a few pages and say "ah, so that's what he was talking about when he said Viddrer?" Damn it, why must writing be so slow? I've already thought everything out!

Quote Originally Posted by Ga'Hooleone View Post
    Yes, the very first fanfiction I ever read on this forum was Forever Legendary, which was, to put it lightly, incredible.
    Oh wow, how did you react to reading Evo's Gate afterwards? I designed the stories so that people starting with Evo's Gate hate Zerobi, those starting with Forever Legendary are indifferent and those starting with THS like her.

Wish I could've kept the trio around more often, but Celebi's been getting a chunk of screentime, at least. Still never showed Astrid, much of Anne or that poor Dragonite, except her daughter who didn't last very long.

As for Snivy, would he even have been able to take him to prison anyway? He got knocked out so easily before.
    Lucario agrees, but in truth Snivy could just swiftly tie him up with a few vines and drag him off. Really, even with all his recently acquired skills, there's nothing Lucario could do about that. Restraints are easy to get out of when you've got a big-clawed friend, but if you're alone and can't move, that's the end of the fight.

Chapter 98

Love: Intimacy vs. Isolation

A shiver ran through Lucario as he poured the contents of yet another bottle down his throat. It had not even emptied out before he got up and staggered over to the next crate, fumbling about with another beer in his pursuit to get drunk as quickly as possible. He drank until he gagged, but the alcohol did nothing to keep his inner turmoil at bay.

It wasn't working. No matter how much alcohol he consumed, the visions of Mew would not go away. Her meek voice echoed between the walls, blaming him for what had happened and trapping him in guilt like so many others before. But even compared to the penguin and Dragonair, Zubat and Rukario, Mew was completely merciless in her hauntings, as if the afterlife had assigned her with the sole purpose of torturing him. Slumping down by the crate as her figure danced in the corner of his eyes, his only consolation that at least dead girls don't cry.

"Yo, what's up?" a cheerful voice echoed in Lucario's head and roused him from his solitude. It was the kind of voice you'd hear when running into an old friend standing in line for ice cream, not inside a dank cave filled with booze and various unpleasant odors. Next to him he noticed a slender yet far from imposing figure, detecting the colors green and white. He lifted his head to see who it was, regretting his action as he identified the thin man who immediately broke into a big smile.

"You might think you look cool, sitting here and drinking…" the Gallade said before playfully slapping his well-toned abs, "… But keep it up and you'll get out of shape, and then you'll just look pathetic!"

"What the hell…" Lucario exclaimed in confusion, "You, of all people… What're you doing here?"

"I'm glad you asked!" the Gallade replied while clapping his curiously shaped hands together, "You see, I'm the only guy in the world who knows why you're depressed!"

Lucario remained still for a moment before letting his head fall on the crate again. As if it could possibly be any more obvious. He had always taken the Gallade for a bit of an airhead, but taking weeks to figure out that losing a friend might make people depressed was nothing short of sad.

"You were in love with Mew, weren't you?" the Gallade asked.

The question hit Lucario on the head like a brick. It took him completely by surprise, which was impressive considering the recent visitation of two dead people. Not able to stop himself, he lifted himself up again and stared at the Gallade like the overly cheerful psychic had just casually mentioned the meaning of life or something of equal importance. In return, the Gallade just started laughing.

"Hahaha! Your expression and your reaction…" he chuckled while pointing at Lucario's scrounged up facial features, "I recognize them! Believe it or not, but I've had my heart broken, too!"

"I-It's not like that…" Lucario tried to defend himself, still startled by the question.

"Sure it is! You loved her and now you feel like dying, don't you?" the Gallade said as he lowered his voice, very obviously feigning sorrow, "Now, that's not what she would've wanted, is it? What would she think if she could see you like this?"

Desperately wanting to come up with some kind of retort, Lucario found himself constantly bashed over the head by the Gallade's well-placed questions. He could not stop himself from imagining what Mew would think had she still been able to judge him, realizing she would never have tolerated his behavior. Whatever respect he had garnished would disappear in a moment, and she would stop caring about him, just like everyone still alive was in the process of doing.

The Gallade continued chuckling and dunked him in the back.

"Hey, don't forget that there's more to life than women… And there are more women in life!" the Gallade cheered, quietly wondering if Zerobi was ready to start a new relationship yet, "Why give up now? Maybe the best has yet to come?"

An unstoppable process of enlightenment ran through Lucario, a breeze of wisdom and understanding. In the world as he had come to know it, getting the most accurate assessment and vital life lectures from a playboy who literally did ballet in battle to record it for his blog was simply not a possibility. Then again, it was no more impossible than the death of a legendary like Mew.

It seemed life was not as complicated as he had assumed. Everyone dies eventually, and although Mew's demise happened far too early, it was a perfectly natural occurrence. Lucario suddenly began to wonder if he was overreacting, needlessly agonizing over the fact that he was not living in a perfect fantasy world where everyone is safe and happy. He had known that was not the case for a long time, so it made no sense for him to suddenly reject reality just because something he didn't care for happened. What made him go on after Ivy? Why didn't he give up as soon as the legendary dogs came after him? Millions of fresh thoughts ran through his head as he slowly stared at the Gallade with admiration.

"You're… WAY smarter than you look…" Lucario mumbled breathlessly.

"Thanks!" the Gallade hastily chimed, misinterpreting his hidden insult, "Well, cheer up! Bye!"

Lucario watched as the Gallade eagerly slipped outside, glad to see the rousing speech for his next feature presentation had worked out perfectly. Who needed test audiences when you could test it on the real thing? If Lucario's reaction was anything to go by, the real audience would be completely captivated and the critics deeply impressed… And in future interviews, he could say that the speech was inspired by "a close friend" and look even cooler. The Gallade snickered to himself – His career was about to enter its finest hour.

His mouth slightly ajar, Lucario sat up straight. A somewhat unappealing waft of alcohol made him push the half-finished bottle aside. For the first time in weeks, he knew he needed to be sober in order to figure things out. Thoughts of the people and Pokémon he had encountered flashed through his mind, and he remembered the words of all who had come to talk to him after Mew's death. At long last, he felt he was on the verge of a breakthrough.

Can I love?

So Gallade has recovered? He's...er, okay?

Maybe I missed the detail earlier or something haha

As for reading Evo's Gate after, I was mainly thinking "oh zerobi paganism wat", there wasn't too much of a conflict between the two stories yet. And you're right, I was pretty much indifferent to Zerobi when she appeared in this story.

Check out the forum World Beyblade Organization! It's a huge forum with over 85,000 members dedicated to the hobby of Beyblading! You can sign up here!

Pokemon X Friend Code: 1091-8184-3378
    Steel Type: , , and

I agree with your assessment of Zerobii's appearance to the reader depending when it was read, but I still think I would have liked Zerobii anyway as I like "evil" characters especially when well developed.

Another breakthrough for Lucario? Let's hope he follows up on it this time.

-Azurus

Bah! Gallade still isn't even reacting to either of his teammate's incapacitation! Then again, those two are always either ignoring or berating him, not that they're not justified, so MAYBE I can understand his indifference. Still, you know that the world has been turned upside down when instead of the intellectual lecturing the idiot, it's the idiot lecturing the, well, nvm...

Chapter 99

Wisdom: Integrity vs Despair

Despite not being legless anymore, Lucario was still far from making progress. The Gallade's words echoed in his mind as he felt confused, trying his best not to come to terms with the absolutely last thing he wished to think about. In one final attempt to escape his worries, he had managed to completely zone out, glaciating his brain while waiting for the afternoon to unravel. He almost made it until nightfall, had it not been for someone else entering the storage dugout.

Lucario turned his head and saw a specter floating in through the wall, barely even batting an eye in surprise. He took some pride in the fact that he had finally adapted to all the nonsense he was constantly subjected to. The phantom was covered by a veil of purple mist, bearing a structure similar to Darkrai but without the malignant presence. As the fog slowly dissipated, Lucario identified the new arrival as the Gengar he had met back when he was chatting with Zoroark, and even earlier in No Man's Land.

"What do you want?" Lucario asked warily, instantly straightening himself up. He remembered all too well the sensation of being run through by someone, and that their first encounter had nearly ended with a battle.

"A drink," the Gengar answered bluntly. Lucario stared him down before waving his hand towards the crates.

"Go ahead," he muttered quietly, "Plenty to go around."

"Hmm… Your manners ain't so bad, after all," the Gengar said in response, a compliment Lucario knew for certain was a ruse as he braced himself for a fright or a fight. However, all the Gengar did was calmly reach into one of the open crates, pull out a beer and somehow open it by engulfing the cap with a wisp of black smoke. Stepping beside Lucario, he gestured for the reluctant Fighting-type to shuffle over and sat down next to him. Lucario looked at him with annoyance, while all the Gengar did was to stare at the wall in front of them.

"Tell me about her…" the Gengar said after a few moments of silence, "Tell me about Mew…"

"… What are you, bloody Paparazzi or something?" Lucario asked while suddenly standing up in rage, "Here for the hot scoop on the legendary? If you think I'm about to spill my guts-"

"Cool it, kid," the Gengar interrupted while holding up a hand, "Just here for the woes of a drunk who's not me, for once."

Ceasing his short-lived tirade, Lucario fell back in his seat. As much as he wanted to lash out at someone other than himself for once, the Gengar was clearly not looking for trouble. Observing the Ghost-type's weary eyes, he felt a strange sensation of calmness run through him.

"Maybe I don't look the part, but I lived your future out," the Gengar muttered as he turned back towards his drink, "I was where you're at now."

Lucario huffed at the prospect of being analyzed and judged by someone worse off than he was. There was no need to hold back - This was just some stranger, not a friend or police officer or someone he might regret losing face to.

"Listen, I don't know who you lost, but I guarantee she doesn't even compare to Mew," Lucario explained before feeling the need to elaborate, "… Mew was… She was not of this world. She was too good. Wherever she was, everything else looked like filth!"

"… Radiating purity…" the Gengar added quietly, "… Not just physically, either…"

"Of course! She was gentle," Lucario answered as he thought back to the first time he met Mew, how overjoyed she was to see Ethan return, "She had every right to treat me like a piece of crap, but she… She was understanding, and really, honestly seemed to care…"

"… Passionate…" the Gengar mumbled with an exasperated sigh, "… Both in good and bad… Disagreements could lead to heated fights…"

"We had a few issues, but that's just because I cared about her so much," Lucario replied quickly, remembering how a single dog almost tore them apart and suddenly realizing what he had said, "Her opinions, I mean! After all, with someone like her, odds are a bonehead like me was the one in the wrong…"

"… Mature and intelligent…" the Gengar continued without paying heed to Lucario's slip of the tongue, "… But momentarily, she would partake in a manner of childlike innocence…"

"Yeah, that's true. She was powerful enough to reshape the world," Lucario responded confidently, but could only summon up the visage of a frozen Mew and a sting puncturing his heart, "But beyond her psychic abilities, she would seem so weak and helpless… I just wanted to be with her, to protect her from harm…"

No. Lucario suddenly realized something felt off about what he had just said. Since day one he saw Mew as a nearly omnipotent being, and knew she did not need anyone to protect her. It was the other way around.

"I mean… I'm weak, so I wanted her to protect me…" Lucario corrected himself. Again, something seemed off about his assessment. He never thought of himself as weak, and he definitively never willingly relied on anyone else for protection. Had he sought protection, he would have stayed with Lugia and the rest of the legendaries. If so, then why did he so desperately chase her around?

"I…" Lucario stammered as he shook his head. The hole inside his chest was beginning to widen, a deep longing overtaking his senses. He wanted to see Mew again. There was so much he wanted to tell her. There was so much he wanted to do with her. But most of all, he only wished to hear her speak again, enlightening him with her gentle words as she had done so many times before.

But it was impossible. Claimed by the cold winter's night, she had died. With the still light of dawn's arrival, she was dead. No amount of time would change that. A month of drinking or thirty years, even after his own passing they would not reunite. Mew was gone forever.

It was then that Lucario noticed the tears running down his face. It had happened so suddenly he had not even felt them coming out, as if they had been lying in wait, ready to spring into action at his first sign of weakness. Feeling like a fool to be crying over settled matters, he simply could not accept that he had been denied the company of Mew forevermore. He still refused to understand why she meant so much to him, but the truth was becoming more and more obvious no matter how he tried to ignore it.

"Let it out, kid," Gengar said calmly as he patted Lucario's back, "I'd join in, but my tears ran dry so long ago I don't remember much of what it's like."

Raising his head, Lucario was suddenly reminded that the Gengar was there. He tried wiping his tears away, but they kept coming and ruined whatever dignity he still wished to maintain. It was the Gengar who had made him like this, knowing exactly what Mew was like and forcing memories of her to resurface within him.

"Y-You… Your guesses are too good…" Lucario choked through the tears, "Who… Who are you…?"

The Gengar looked at him for a moment before sighing. He then stood up, putting down his empty bottle as he began to head for the wall on the left.

"… Just another stranger…" he muttered, leaving a trail of purple mist behind him, "… Someone who's loved and lost."

Lucario sat frozen and followed the Gengar with his eyes as the shadow began to float rather than walk, but still moved at the same sluggish pace.

"Someone…" the Gengar continued, "… Who also loved and lost a Mew."

Having reached the wall, the Gengar soundlessly disappeared through it, once more covered by a veil of dim fog.

He moved unhindered through walls and low ceilings, not feeling the shift in temperature as he occasionally passed through the snowy outdoors. Those that saw him pass by would flinch in surprise, but ultimately decide to leave him be. It was bad luck to tangle with Ghost-types, lest one was willing to continue their day affected by Curse, Spite or a similarly nasty affliction. Zoroark would probably have asked him why he had shrugged his duty for so long, but there was no need for him to pass by the Dark-type's quarters now anyway. The location he was heading for was far-off, secluded and populated by only one being.

"Wh-Who are you?" Celebi exclaimed with a startled expression as the Gengar entered the chambers. It was an unusually large area, but indistinguishable from every other room the caverns had to offer. The only thing to bring uniqueness to it was an enormous flower sprouting out of the ground in the middle with a thick stem, yellow petals and a soft head made out of hundreds of tightly grown florets.

Upon the flower laid a figure. A frail creature, still and harmless even when compared to the plant beneath it. The Gengar ignored Celebi as he moved forward, keeping his focus on the botanical pedestal.

"Stop, don't you touch her!" Celebi shouted as she flew in front of the Gengar, the once fern-like legendary looking pale and giving the impression of something wilting, "What are you doing here!? Go away, or I will throw you out myself!"

"Celebi…" the Gengar muttered while throwing her an icy glance, "Be quiet. Excelebi would not approve of you being so tactless."

The Gengar put extra effort into pronouncing the strange name, causing Celebi to slap her hands against her mouth in utter surprise. Excelebi was the nickname her mother had been given by Mew's mother, casually mentioned in one of her father's memoirs. All three of them having been dead for decades, it was not a name anyone left in this world should know anything about. She stared in shock as the Gengar settled down in front of the flower, examining Mew from head to toe with a very sad gaze.

"I abandoned you to force the Deadly Enervation Sustenance onto Cresselia…" he whispered so quietly that not even Celebi could hear him, thinking back to days long bygone, "And… I could not bear to watch your mother die because of me. But now…"

He stared at Mew for a few moments, realizing how young and weak she looked compared to the Mew he had known. Even as he stood there and beheld her corpse, he did not feel regret or sadness. He felt nothing except for maybe a slight tinge of nostalgia. It had been too long. Too many years of shame, too many years of drinking. He wanted to touch her, but knew he had no right to. Instead, he leaned in as close as he could get without touching, focusing on the meek, paralyzed face in front of him.

"One day, soon… I will follow you to your mother…" the Gengar whispered almost inaudibly, "Perhaps then… We can finally be a real family."

Without another word he turned around, passing by the confused Celebi on his way out. She stared as he disappeared through one of the walls, leaving the empty husk of his daughter behind.

Was it OK for me to have done what I did?

Now that's interesting, Gengar is the father. Never saw that coming.

So many conclusions left to resolve though, I wonder who's next on the list?

I expect to be surprised with action but I know it's coming to a close, and as such, have mixed feelings right with the story. Like a hurry up already and get to the point but at the same time, I don't want it to end.

Looking forward to more, keep the good work, Shaded.

-Azurus

Chapter 100

Prologue of Year 12

Celebi stirred awake, the large flower she was lying on moving in response to the arrival of another day beyond the cavern's walls. She stretched out her arms as she flew up, grimacing as she was feeling stiff all over. A strong urge to go outside and lap up as much sun as possible struck her, the cold and darkness having taken a toll on her floral body. A few days earlier she would not even have noticed the passage of time, but the Gengar's unprecedented visit had reminded her that there was a world outside of where she currently was, tending to the leftovers of her murdered friend. She had never shied away from everything like this before. Although she had been raised to live in secrecy and seclusion, she had always been curious enough to get herself and those like the unfortunate Pichu in trouble. She couldn't help it - The vast world had so much to offer, and nothing disgusted her more than the idea of sitting alone in a cave.

But that was before her world broke into pieces. It had not caught her off guard completely, because she had feared that even if they managed to retrieve the virus successfully, there might be causalities. She could have coped with seeing Zoroark or some of the revolutionaries die. Losing Pikablu, Lucario and the others would have been painful, but she could have handled it. Even Zerobi's death was something she believed she would eventually overcome, but instead it was the most important person in her life who fell. Mew deserved to live more than anyone.

Celebi sighed in dismay while moving down to the flower again, placing a hand on Mew's forehead. Was she really wishing for the demise of her own sister? She knew she had to cherish those she had left, and could tell that spending so much time with a corpse was not doing wonders to her sanity. Even if she were to preserve Mew's body for all eternity, her friend would never wake up. Mew had always been there, and she felt safe in knowing that no matter what came to pass they would experience it together. They would greet joy and sadness together. Live and overcome hardships together. Indeed, the very first hardship after losing Mew seemed insurmountable as Celebi found her way of life shattered.

It was then that she felt herself enter the chambers. Or at least her aura did, the familiar presence by the room's only entrance telling her that another visitor had come, and this one was not as unexpected as the last one. Quickly running a hand across her face to dispose of any visible tears, she turned to face the new arrival.

Lucario looked around the area for a moment before casually examining Celebi. He had failed to pick up too many nuances when she came to visit him earlier due to being dead drunk, but now he could see that she was in surprisingly poor shape. She looked even smaller and thinner than usual, her skin was losing color because of diminishing chlorophyll, and the lines under her huge sunken eyes were like ravines. If it was due to sorrow, negligence or simply lack of sunlight he had no idea, but the cadaver of Mew on the flower seemed a thousand times more radiant than the wilting Celebi. He felt bad for her, realizing she was honoring the memory of Mew at the cost of her own health, but he was in no position to reprimand her, considering she was still keeping things together a lot better than he was.

"Celebi… May I have some time alone with Mew?" Lucario asked humbly, turning his attention towards the pedestal plant in the middle of the room. Still feeling broken down, Celebi thought to herself for a few moments, not too keen on leaving and no longer having either Mew or Lucario as company. She figured she could use some fresh air at least, hoping she did not look as much of a wreck as the recently sober Lucario. She nodded and began to float away, keeping in mind how long she could be gone before Mew's flesh stared decaying again.

"Don't… Listen in," Lucario requested, trying to think of a good explanation as to why. It was going to be sappy? He was about to reveal something he didn't want her or anyone else knowing? At any rate, Celebi decided not to question it as she simply nodded again and left the cave. He waited until he sensed her aura at an adequate distance away before slowly approaching where Mew was.

Instantly he realized why Celebi was spending so much time in there. Mew looked more alive than ever, shining brightly as if still in life. Her eyes were closed and her tail was hanging by the side of the flower she laid on, giving the illusion that the fabulous legendary was just resting, taking a short nap to cure her weariness before getting ready to face another day.

But Lucario knew better. Mew rarely slept, and when she did she was always hovering in midair. A quick scan with his aura told him that the beaming radiance was the work of Celebi and did not contain a trace of Mew's presence. She was not about to face another day. She was not breathing, moving or dreaming. She was dead.

"Hello… Mew…" Lucario said out loud as he sat down next to the colorful plant, his shoulders on the same level as her unmoving face, "Thought you might be bored, hanging around here with no one but Celebi, so I came to visit."

Lucario faked a smile before groaning to himself. That kind of corny behavior was not the reason he was there.

"No… That's not it…" he whispered, hoping she would not object to starting the conversation over from scratch, "I came to… Talk about things. Things that need to be said."

Already he was having trouble getting the words out. Mew did not seem nearly as dead as when she had been on her last legs out in the snow, and he felt stupid to be choking up with no one actually hearing him. Mew was in front of him, but never again would she listen to him or speak to him. Her life was over, but it was not for her sake that he had decided to do this.

"Listen… I'm sorry for being a useless piece of crap who let you die…" Lucario muttered while imagining that on some level she could understand him, "But come on… You know me. I screw up all the time; it couldn't have been that much of a surprise. I can't compete with the likes of Zoroark or Celebi, I'm just not that competent."

He sighed and placed his large palm on Mew's head. She used to hate it when he did that back at the start of their journey, proclaiming to despise all invasion of personal space. A few months of clinging onto his back cured her of that ailment, and she eventually grew to at the very least be indifferent to his touches.

"I couldn't save you… But I never claimed I could, either," Lucario explained while shaking the pleasant memory from his mind and looking off at a wall in nervousness, "I tried my best against unfavorable odds, so of course I failed. Had the requirements been to beat up that Torana again or something, I would've saved you for sure…"

It was an implausible scenario, but the idea of Fire-types bugged him. Had he been one, he could have easily saved Mew from the merciless cold. As he was now, aside from hugging her close there was not much else he could have done.

"And… I'm not the reason you fought Darkrai," Lucario continued as he scratched the back of his head, "That was your fight. We could have fled, but you wanted revenge for Cresselia… Wanted to rid the world of Darkrai… I don't blame you, not even a little, but I just want you to know… I'm not the reason you're dead."

A heavy exhale followed as Lucario withdrew his hand and leaned back on his arms. Although circumstances brought him, Darkrai and Mew to the same place, it was Mew who insisted there be a conflict. Even Darkrai seemed keen on letting things be after her appearance. Escaping the unimaginably speedy Deoxys was one thing, but even Lucario was able to outrun Darkrai for a good while. They could easily have made it away, and she would still be alive.

Lucario looked at Mew, wishing she would look back. Laying the guilt on her felt cowardly, but in life she had never been one to dodge blame. In fact, the only thing she seemed quite willing to dodge was him. He thought back to her final words, about how she really had avoided him on purpose, and the very obvious reason why.

"… Anyway, I've been thinking…" Lucario whispered as he shuffled a bit closer to the flower, "… About your feelings for me… How you said you love me, and all that…"

This time he stared directly at Mew instead of looking away. It was difficult as he had not anticipated her to be so beautiful still, but decided not to back down.

"… COMPLETELY ignoring the fact that I told you countless times that I don't care for Pokémon," Lucario growled with a harsh tone and a frown, "All while placing me in the awkward position of withholding what you said from everyone else, not to mention proving that old bastard Lugia right and making me look like a goddamn villain in the end even though I didn't do anything!"

Letting his voice grow to a shout, Lucario huffed as Mew was predictably showing no reaction whatsoever. Had she not had the convenient excuse of being dead, it would have irritated him even more.

"You're right. It was meaningless, and if I might add, rather stupid of you," he scoffed while showing a scornful sneer, "Avoiding me on purpose, like I'd actually do anything to harm you. I know you know I suck, but give me some credit. I would never knowingly kill someone I…"
    Lucario noticed his speech sounding a bit hoarse. The raspy effect remained even as he lowered his voice. He swallowed to try and clear it up, but to no avail.
    "… Forget what I just said…" Lucario whispered while running a palm across his eyes, "What I really meant to say was… The reason I chased you all over the place…"

He detected a hint of something wet in his palm as he looked at Mew, fixating on her still shape.

"A-And… Why I'm crying like wimp right now…" he stammered before taking a deep breath, "I think… I think I might've loved you, too…"

The words fell out of him with ease, but almost immediately he wished he could take them back. Words unheard but not unspoken, he was finally coming to terms with what had been bothering him so much all this time. His desperation in chasing her and sorrow of losing her was too powerful to stem from a simple friendship. It had been love, and he had been too inexperienced to recognize it until it was too late. Even now he felt confused, unsure of what to do or how to cope with the unfamiliar sensations, not to mention the concept of letting go forever, considering he never even had time to get started.

"That is why… This… Is our last meeting…" Lucario muttered as he stood up, his eyes never breaking contact with Mew's closed eyelids, "It's easier to just forget about it, stop dreaming of what could've been… I mean, I've got things left to do, people who have need of even an idiot like me…"

A vision of Zerobi flashed by his mind, and suddenly he felt guilty for some reason. Like it was up to him to decide who to love, or something. He still figured it would probably be best not to tell her or anybody else anything about this, considering he was trying to forget about it himself. He would have to take this unconventional break-up one step at a time and see what future held in store for his previously barren love life.

"Ahh… What could've been…" he repeated slowly as he looked over Mew one last time. If only he had realized it earlier. If only she had told him sooner. Would it even have worked out, or were they simply abandoning reason for emotion? She was a legendary, one with a million ideas on how to improve the world and the means to do it. She could not have stayed shackled to a regular Lucario like him forever, and unless he was able to keep up, he would have been forced to spend most of his life alone anyway. Children were out of the question and as were the means to create them, Lucario thinking that a relationship with Mew would probably be any man's nightmare.

So, why could he not stop staring at her? Even when dead, why did she shine so brightly? Starting to regret his decision to make this their final goodbye, Lucario moved closer to the flower, his stomach rubbing up against the leafy petals. Mew did not talk or think, yet still he was drawn to her like a bee to the pollen, making him fret that he had unknowingly been hexed by a spell of love or something of equal paranoia. But at this moment, it did not matter. No amount of pain in the world could ever erase the innocence of her face, even as it lay blank and still. Minutes passed as he simply looked at her, too weak of a man to turn around and leave. Surely he could not just let her go like this?

Conflicted as to what to do, he was reminded of an old story so much like theirs, the man giving his perished love one final kiss before taking his own life. The horrible scenario instantly broke Lucario out of the romantic atmosphere and brought him back to reality. As bad as his first kiss with Zerobi was, it was probably not as unpleasant as locking lips with an overly ripe corpse. And killing himself was the absolutely last thing on his mind, now that he had finally overcome the most devastating trauma of his life. Realizing he was leaning ever closer to Mew and breathing all over her, he quickly retracted himself.

"Sorry, sorry!" he squabbled as he stepped back, shaking his head in disapproval of what he had almost done, "I know, this is our last moment together. At least this I won't screw up."

Scarcely a moment away from breaking into tears again, he decided to wrap things up and give a respectful goodbye he would not come to regret when thinking back to this. Straightening his back, he placed a paw by his forehead in a salute.

"You are the greatest being I've ever known," he spoke with a voice carrying sympathy rather than authority, "If I run into Darkrai again, I'll send him to where you are so you can pay him back in person."
    Sighing out, Lucario gazed over Mew one last time with a deep longing emerging in his chest. Carefully looking behind himself while making sure there was no aura nearby, he walked up to Mew one last time, hunching over and sneaking in a very quick kiss on her cheek.

"Farewell, Mew…" he whispered and closed his eyes, relishing in the overwhelming emotions, "Rest in peace."

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Lucario felt usually good about himself as he walked through the complicated cave system. It seemed like a cheap move to receive forgiveness from a dead person, but he knew there was no guilt that could affect him if he denied responsibility. The sorrow of losing a loved one would linger, but he felt he could handle it. After all, fully encompassing happiness had not been his lot in life for many years.

Scanning the area for familiar presences, Lucario felt like he wanted to share his triumphant return with someone. Celebi was still gone though, there was no way for him to sense neither Zerobi nor Zoroark, and the occasional Pokémon he passed by seemed busy going somewhere else. Actually, as he came to realize, a lot of them seemed to be running away from the direction he was heading in, and the few whose expressions he could determine seemed frightened. Although most of them were too occupied with getting away from whatever laid ahead, the fifth Pokémon trying to move past suddenly noticed him and stopped in its tracks.

"L-Lucario!? There you are!" the Pokémon stammered in unexpected triumph mixed with fear. She was a Lilligant, her verdant body a familiar sight to Lucario who could not stop himself from slipping back to the past, experiencing the same flashback with Ivy that he had revisited two years earlier.

The Lilligant stared at him with confusion as his eyes rolled to the back of his head, a dreamy expression crossing his face. Wondering if she was exuding Sweet Scent or Aromatherapy by mistake, she knew there was no time for a relaxing break and hastily tried to slap him back to his senses. However, her weak leafy arms only brought about a gentle caress which allowed him to slip further into a coma, and in desperation she swiftly gave him a headbutt instead.

"They're calling for you! What did you do!?" she yelled right in his face as he recoiled from her attack, charging up a punch to counter in reflex. It was not until the very last moment that he recognized the soft, harmless face graced by innocent, pleading eyes about to be crushed by his fist, and managed to halt himself. The flashback was gone, and he was back in reality again.

"… Nothing?" Lucario mumbled with a dazed expression, "What's going on?"

She wanted to sigh out in relief after not having accidentally been punched into oblivion, but the looming threats behind kept her on edge.

"You have, um… Visitors!" the Lilligant exclaimed while pointing behind her, trying to hide her fear, "Go greet them! Fast!"

"Who?" Lucario asked in confusion, wondering just how many more people were seeking his audience, "Where?"

"You can't miss 'em! Go, or they'll come in here!" the Lilligant insisted as she ran past Lucario and suddenly pushed him in the direction she had come from.

"Wait, hold on!" Lucario shouted in surprise, not sure if he was ready to handle action so soon after such a tearful goodbye, "Can't you tell me anything!?"

"I'll tell you this - You picked the wrong day to stop drinking!" she responded quickly before letting go and running further into the cave, away from whatever was scaring away all the Pokémon. Wondering if this was some kind of prank, Lucario focused and suddenly detected the aura of two beings he recognized all too well.

His face drooped. The first thought to hit him was that he had an unusual knack to jump from one problem to the next. He had occasionally contemplated drinking for the rest of his days, only now realizing there were those in this world that would simply not allow it.

He kept walking. Might as well face it like a man and get it over with, he thought. This problem wasn't going away any time soon, and he wasn't going to feel nearly as suicidal later. He could not sense Celebi, but hoped she had not decided to go on an all-around the world tour as he would be finding himself in grave peril very soon. Not that it mattered, not even she could save him from the fate that lay ahead. No one could.

Seeing the exit, the outside lands were covered by snow and bright daylight. Not nearly a hostile as his last venture outside, but somehow the sight was even more troubling than Darkrai. Fangs and claws, thick limbs and manes, waiting patiently outside Nomad's Land were Raikou and Suicune, carrying Red and Brendan. Blue was also there, clinging on to his Skarmory which in truth was a rather pitiful sight compared to the two legendary dogs sandwiching it.

"Yo, Lucario!" Brendan shouted cheerfully while eagerly waving his hand, "We got sick of hunting you down all the time, so we decided to team up and kill you right now!"

Well that was sweet, he finally admitted he loved her.

And now we got this problem, jeez, Brendan needs to give it a rest.

-Azurus

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast