Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: The Human Species (PG-13)

What, you mean you still haven't read Occult Magazine: Evolution's Gate? Astrid's a major character in that story! He's got a picture and everything!

Also, a guy that everyone thinks is a girl hanging around with a girl that everyone thinks is a guy? What a weird revolution!

Quote Originally Posted by Knightfall View Post
    I agree with Azurus, Ethan and Zerobi just resonate with me as characters, not so much as something I can easily explain.

What I really like is how you put so much detail into the character's pasts and backstories. I makes the characters seem much more...alive than the characters of other fanfictions and even some books by professional authors.
    I hope you continue to produce the same great A+ quality work that I've come to admire as a fellow aspiring author.

As for ideas for advertising this fic, well, I'm all ready doing my part in my sig, but I sugest making an entry into the Fan Fiction Catalog: Entry Thread. I dunno, just a little more exposure for this fic.
    Maybe a Trailer for it (even though it's not a new fic), or a request in the Review Exchange thread?

Hope these ideas help with the "need more readers" problem.

Knightfall signing off...
    I would make an awesome video trailer, if not for the fact that I draw like crap. I've got a great storyboard and everything, but I think most people would want me to put my effort into writing more chapters, anyway.

Already did the review thread thing, I'll check out the catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Azurus View Post
    I like Zerobi and Ethan.

Zerobi because she is awwesome (meant to spell it like that) and while I can't give direct examples because I suck at describing/explaining/pointing things out, I do like the effort she puts in to change her past image.
    Yeah, just that what she's done in the past is so goddamn horrific not even a saint could possibly forgive her. Check out the link to Evo's Gate up there for a refresher. She's cool and is genuinely repenting, but I wonder if someone so evil really deserves to live? Snivy and Eve disagree!

Luckily for him we can't have him killed off since he isn't a minor character... or maybe we can, you have shown time and time again you can kill off anyone without interrupting the flow of the story.
    That's because every character in this story will eventually die. Such is the inevitable fate of all living creatures, it's just a question of where, when and how... But it's not how you die that matters, it's how you live!

Totally missed that quote... Thanks, Knight!
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    Year 4-7: Forever Legendary [img]http://i52.*******.com/16a5hc2.png[/img]
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Year 10: The Human Species [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/34zypdx.png[/IMG]
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

You might want to review your chapter here, lots of words missing and plurals. Examples as follows:

at least when compared Mew and Celebi (should be "compared to")

aggresively poking the head of small legendary (unless she is poking all of them and aren't important, it should be "of the")

she would just complain new hair style (should be "about my")

actually listening to me when I told about the legendaries (should be "told you")

There are more, but that's all I can find.

Onto the main reason I'm here, can't believe I missed an update, I checked subscriptions but nothing ever showed up.

Still enjoying this work, not a whole lot is happening but we will get there when we get there.

I had no idea there were prequels to this, I thought all those references were just historical lore.

Also what happened in years 8 and 9?

*Edit* Who cares what eve and snivy think, I think she deserves a chance and evil is cool, I always did like a repentant villain and besides people wanted to kill Golbez in final fantasy 4 but he still tried to repent, did a good job of it in the after years but died/didn't die due to certain circumstances.
    Last edited by Azurus; 27th May 2012 at 3:04 AM. Reason: Thought of more stuff

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

Time, there's never enough of it but it's always there to waste.
    -Azurus

Quote Originally Posted by ShadedSkies View Post
    I would make an awesome video trailer, if not for the fact that I draw like crap. I've got a great storyboard and everything, but I think most people would want me to put my effort into writing more chapters, anyway.

Already did the review thread thing, I'll check out the catalog.

Totally missed that quote... Thanks, Knight!
    You're very much welcome; I hope this gets the message out to prospective readers.

For this chapter, it was pretty good. I noticed some of the same errors that Azurus pointed out, but other than that the chapter was all right.
    So we meet a few other of the legendaries and learn why so few of are there.
    Hearing Mew say that a war is their best option was sort of unexpected, but hey, it's makes for a good plot.

Hm, it just occured to me about Ethan's former Pokemon. I can see several unfortunately halirious scenes of Lucario trying convince them of who he was. I also wonder about his mother, does she play a role in the plot, or was the mention of her just for the scene?

Anyways, nice chapter as usual.
    And if you ever make that video trailer, I'd like to see it one day.

Heading on over to pikablues story, really enjoyed evolutions gate, it answered a lot of questions and it seems that quote that everyone likes that I made applies really well there as well.

I would've posted in that thread but it's ancient.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

-Azurus

There are more, but that's all I can find.
    Alright, I fixed it. Like I said, the story's going to be really, really good in 2-3 chapters, so I guess I'm subconsciously rushing through this part. I'll inspect the next one more carefully.

I had no idea there were prequels to this, I thought all those references were just historical lore.
    On a related note, check out my 'zig! Too bad I could only fit in three of the stories, and not even with their full synopsizes! At least I got to fit in a little, it could've just been EG: BLOOD, FL: ANTIHERO, THS: HUMANS

Also what happened in years 8 and 9?
    Year 8 is the year of Mew's Christmas Carol, and Year 9 is the year of Mewtwo's Christmas Carol. That one extra chapter of Forever Legendary with the Flygon also took place during Year 8. Not much else happened around that time... I mean, as far as I'm willing to reveal right now!

*Edit* Who cares what eve and snivy think, I think she deserves a chance and evil is cool, I always did like a repentant villain and besides people wanted to kill Golbez in final fantasy 4 but he still tried to repent, did a good job of it in the after years but died/didn't die due to certain circumstances.
    SPOILER ALERT! Damn it, I was just about to play that. Oh, well, I guess I don't have a good excuse for not having played it yet...

Hearing Mew say that a war is their best option was sort of unexpected, but hey, it's makes for a good plot.
    She doesn't think it's the best option, she just believes it's the most likely scenario after being notified about No Man's Land. She really, really doesn't want war. Can't imagine her disregarding a peaceful solution in favor of grabbing an RPG-7, putting on jungle camouflage and going "Let's rock!"

Hm, it just occured to me about Ethan's former Pokemon. I can see several unfortunately halirious scenes of Lucario trying convince them of who he was. I also wonder about his mother, does she play a role in the plot, or was the mention of her just for the scene?
    I can't give that away... He who continues reading the story will find out! If you're wondering, Ethan's mom really is a troublesome person, so don't expect your typical tearful reunion. Ethan's Pokemon... Well, you'll see.

Heading on over to pikablues story, really enjoyed evolutions gate, it answered a lot of questions and it seems that quote that everyone likes that I made applies really well there as well.

I would've posted in that thread but it's ancient.
    Go ahead. If you post, maybe other people won't be afraid to? Evo's Gate fills me with nostalgia; I could use an excuse to revisit it!
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Chapter 47

Burdened Elder Lugia

Time was moving very slowly for Lucario. Lying deep underground he had no idea whether it was day or night, and had decided to record the passage of time by counting how often the legendaries would come out to take a break from their meeting. So far, he was up to 0.

"Sorry, but you cannot follow," Celebi had told him before going into the passage leading into the main chambers, one he was not allowed to enter, "Your presence would ruin the entire purpose behind a legendary meeting."

Lucario groaned as he turned to his side and subconsciously sniffed in the air, still not used to the odd aroma emanating from the sprouts he was lying on. The plants were bulky and nearly as uncomfortable as the rocky ground might have been, but Celebi had insisted that she would only grow what did not require sunlight so that they could live beyond her visit. Lucario sighed, realizing that the livelihood of a few plants were more important to her than his and her sister's comfort.

"Another round?" Zerobi asked sheepishly from beside him, noticing his restlessness. She was also worn out, but just as bored as he was.

"It's impossible to go on forever, we'll have to wait sooner or later," Lucario muttered and sighed again, still feeling sore all over from their last session, "… And it looks like we've got an awful lot of waiting to do right now."

"Yeah. Sis told me they debate in shifts, hardly ever taking breaks," Zerobi said as she moved around to make herself more comfortable against their bed of greenery, "Supposedly they can stay in there for weeks, or even months… Neither eating nor drinking, using every moment to find the best solution, even at the risk of their own lives!"

"That's a pretty badass description of Democracy…" Lucario said with a smile, hiding his depression over the fact that he hadn't realized they could be stuck doing this for months. His initial thoughts were that he would rather die than spend more than a week like this, but he realized he had little choice. His only option was to leave everything and everyone behind, and that was assuming he could brace through the storm that was apparently enough to keep even the most hardened and determined Pokémon away.

"True enough," Zerobi answered, but with a voice that did not sound like hers nor came from her direction, "At any rate, Lugia wishes to see you in private."

Lucario leaned back to see where the voice had come from. Above him floated a small legendary, one he had already gotten familiar with. She had called herself Mesprit, and was apparently the older sister of Uxie and Azelf. She looked the same as them, but had pink adornments covering her head that reminded him of his own dreadlock-like appendages. For some reason she was rarely part of the meeting itself, instead guarding the passage to make sure no unwanted visitors slipped past.

"Can't you see I'm busy?" Lucario asked while feigning irritation, stretching his arms, neck and legs and muttering disappointedly. Mesprit and Lugia did not matter to him, the only legendary he was keen on seeing was Mew. There was so much he needed to talk to her about, but ever since reading the article about No Man's Land they had not gotten to spend a single moment together. A silence drifted in the air between them as Lucario looked back and was met by Mesprit's judgmental stare.

"I'm resting!" Lucario said in defense of himself while Mesprit's face remained immobile, "… It's an activity!"

"We were sparring," Zerobi explained while sitting up and letting her own strained neck muscles relax, "We're both completely out of shape from not fighting for so long."

"Yeah, Mew would just blast away everyone that challenged us before I had a chance to do anything," Lucario muttered before also sitting up, feeling a twinge of pain in his exerted abdominal muscles, "I said I needed the experience, while she said she didn't want the experience of getting captured. Heh, like I'd lose…"

"Going by your track record, I don't blame her," Zerobi snickered softly before looking at him and sighing, "… You should probably go see Lugia, anyway."

"Well, it's about time he needed my expertise," Lucario mumbled and got to his feet, excited to finally be doing something. However, he was getting a creepy feeling from Mesprit who was still remaining quiet and giving him an insistent stare.

"I think he just wants to introduce himself," Zerobi said, wondering herself what Lugia could possibly want to do with Lucario, "I already met him. He's, uh, probably too big to come do it himself."

"Big-big or compared to Mew and Celebi-big?" Lucario asked, surprised that Zerobi had already met him, "Is he nice?"

"Compared to Rayquaza-big. He's the dad of the three legendary birds, after all," Zerobi responded before starting to mimic her sister's proper way of speaking, "Indeed, he's rather pleasant. You'd do well in putting on your formal stature, dearie."

"Formal? I'm formal by default," Lucario said as he walked past Mesprit and went into the passage, "I'm the only one wearing clothing."

The passage was shaped like a corridor, a very long one running underneath the earth's surface. It kept going and going until Lucario realized he might even have left the boundaries of the island, and had nothing but a bit of crust shielding him from the millions of gallons of water above. He walked very carefully as to not bump into the ceiling, and shuddered at the thought of accidentally cracking something and flooding whatever place the passage led into. The legendaries probably had their ways to handle a situation like that, but it would still make a very bad entry on his part.

When he finally reached the end of the corridor, he was not surprised to see that it led to a much larger room. He could tell that he was on the ground floor this time, as the ceiling rose very high above him. And there, right in the middle of the room, stood the legendary Lugia.

Lucario felt the muscles around his neck tighten. Nothing could have prepared him for the size of this monster. Even compared to Entei or the Tyranitar, the only being that even came close to size was Rayquaza. Unlike Rayquaza, Lugia wasn't just a flying eel but had a full body and stood upright, making Lucario wonder what manner of bones could possibly support that kind of weight.

The legendary reminded him a bit of Zapdos and Moltres, in that he was in the shape of a bird. However, his white feathers stuck together more closely and were much thicker, giving them the appearance of a winter's coat of fur. The end of his wings separated into five digits, each nearly as big as Lucario himself. They almost looked like ginormous fingers sitting on massive hands, and Lucario became unsure that they actually weren't. He had a long, slender neck, and his head looked like it was fused with a colorless beak. Sharp, dark feathers stuck out around his eyes like a severe dose of eyeshade.

Lucario finally composed himself, reminded that even if he was bigger than anyone he had met, at least he wasn't trying to kill him. Lucario looked around, and noticed that the two of them were alone. He wondered if the others were even deeper inside, and he smiled at the thought of maybe taking a little peek after his chat with Lugia was over.

"Lucario," a deep but gentle voice echoed from the gigantic creature. It sounded like he was purposely keeping his volume low as to not frighten Lucario.

"Lugia," Lucario responded with a courteous nod. Like with Zapdos, now that his intimidation had settled down he was starting to get the feeling he was going to like this legendary.

"What is your relationship with Mew?" Lugia immediately asked, taking Lucario off guard. Not even he had an answer to that, and had to think for a while. Remembering Zerobi's advice and seeing how Lugia appeared to be a no-nonsense kind of guy, Lucario decided to stay formal.

"She saved my life and taught me how to use the Aura Sphere," he answered earnestly before wondering if maybe he was sounding too formal, "… She's also my friend, and I owe her. Big time."

Lugia looked down at him, wine-red eyes looming ominously behind the shroud of dark feathers.

"Tonight, you will leave us," Lugia spoke with the same gentle voice as before, betraying the contents of what he was saying, "You will not tell anyone of your departure, and you will never seek out Mew again."

Lucario stood quiet for a few moments, trying to comprehend what he had just heard.

"Um… No?" he said after a while, scratching the back of his head in confusion.

"This is not open for debate," Lugia responded, his gaze never leaving Lucario.

"I agree, and that's why I'm just going to ignore you and stay, anyway," Lucario answered with irritation as the meaning behind what the legendary was asking came clear, "… I traveled for months to get here, and now you want me to leave!?"

"You may stay, but only under one condition," Lugia continued as his voice gained a hint of animosity, "You must make Mew despise you."

"Well, she's put up with pretty much so far, so I doubt I could do anything to make that happen…" Lucario said with an annoyed shrug as his irritation turned into anger, "… Why the hell would I want to, anyway!? What's your problem!?"

"That is not for you to know," Lugia replied, unfazed as he craned his long neck down towards Lucario, "Accept, or I will conjure up a twister so ferocious that you will be launched to the northern reaches of Shinnoh."

"… Do that, and I'll bounce off the mountains and come back to kick you in your stupid bloody face!" Lucario shouted, pointing up at the large legendary.

Suddenly, the cave began shaking, Lugia's gigantic wings flapping as he quickly moved his head back with a snarl forming around his mouth. Lucario wondered what was happening when he heard something heavy land on the ground with a dull thud. Looking more closely, Lucario noticed that Lugia also had a tail, one that was nearly as big as the rest of his body. It had two spikes sticking out from the end of it, and Lucario gulped as he realized they were both as long as his own legs.

"Watch your tongue!" Lugia roared loudly while slapping his tail into the ground once more, "Killing you here and now would be a certain remedy to the problem!"

"What problem!?" Lucario shouted back, torn between confronting the legendary and just getting out of there as quickly as possible, "Tell me what the hell's wrong, maybe I'll even care!"

His fear at trying to fight such a massive monster finally got the better of him as he decided to run away to warn Mesprit or Zerobi that something was wrong. However, as he was about to turn tail, the shaking around him suddenly stopped and the atmosphere seemed to turn cooler. He looked up and saw Lugia calm himself down, stopping the movements of his wings and visibly swallowing down his own rage.

"Has Mew told you about what happened to her mother?" Lugia asked with the deep, gentle voice from earlier.

"H-Huh? Oh, yeah," Lucario stammered as he tried to remember, still a little shaken form what had just happened, "She… Died."

"Yes," Lugia said before craning his neck down again for effect, "Murdered by one such as you."

Now Lucario was really out of things, racking his brain over and over to remember what Mew had said. She hadn't spoken about it since their very first meeting, and he hadn't brought it up out of respect for her feelings. No matter how hard he tried, he could not recall anything about a murder.

"Mew was… Her mother was a dear friend of mine," Lugia explained, forced to correct himself as he slipped back into his old mindset by mistake, "I took an oath to protect her daughter, should one such as you appear."

"One such as me?" Lucario repeated and wondered if Mew had told him about him being Ethan or something, "I… I don't get it. A Lucario?"

"A romantic interest," Lugia responded, and almost immediately everything clicked in Lucario's head. Mew's mother had died giving birth to her, something that happens to all those part of her species. He realized that Lugia's claim of her murderer must be referring to whoever impregnated her, and now sees him as one with the potential to…

"Whoa, slow down there," Lucario said as he stopped his own line of thinking and held his hands in front of him, "Me? With… With Mew? Are you insane!?"

"You referred to her as 'friend' earlier, did you not?" Lugia asked with a concerned tone to his voice, "If one can befriend someone-"

"HAHAHA! OK, if that's what you're worried about, let me calm you down right now," Lucario laughed in relief, amazed that such a ridiculous notion almost got him killed, "That will never, ever happen. She's, like, half my size!"

"So you say, but love has to the potential to-" Lugia tried to interject.

"Not in this case, no," Lucario interrupted while quickly shaking his head, "Nope, nah, nada, absolutely n-"

"SILENCE!" Lugia bellowed with a mighty roar, making Lucario fall back in surprise. Every sign of tenderness was now all but gone from Lugia, his eyes beaming in hostility and his slender neck flexing in anger.

"Even if you are not interested, she will eventually be if you do not separate," Lugia explained with a growly undertone to his already deep voice, "She has the potential to outlive us all, and thus, such thoughts were never meant for her. I will do everything within my power to make sure she never has to experience them."

"… All right, I get it," Lucario muttered as he got to his feet and brushed himself off, "I'll break the news to her gently."

"That is all I ask," Lugia said, feeling relief sweep over him as he once more calmed himself down, "Will you tell her that you hate her, or simply that you will never see her again?"

"Neither," Lucario said as he faced Lugia and braced himself for what was to come, "I'll tell her you're a sick old pervert with some serious control issues."

Lugia had heard enough. With a powerful flap of his wings, the cave began trembling once more as from an earthquake. There was no longer any doubt in his mind - The Lucario before him was precisely the kind of scum that would repeat history if left alone.

"Then accept the consequences of your decision!" Lugia roared with all his might, sealing off the rest of the cavern so no one else would be able to hear him, "Die in agony, lest you let the same fate befall Mew!"

"Go ahead. She's spent the last months with no one but me, she can probably sense my aura from miles away, and will know the instant it goes away," Lucario responded calmly, realizing he had a much better chance at survival by talking to Lugia instead of fighting him, "Plus, she's smarter than you. She'll know you killed me."

He then turned around and started walking, hoping his feigned confidence would let him escape before Lugia examined his statement too carefully. What he really wanted to do was go further inside to see Mew, but had a feeling Lugia wasn't too keen on letting him pass.

Lugia completely ignored what Lucario had said and prepared his mighty Aero Blast to kill him now that his back was turned. He focused all his hatred, knowing that the instant Lucario entered the narrow passage he would be out of his reach. He knew had to do it. For his friend, to fulfill her last request… For Mew, to ease her tortured mind… For himself, to soothe the anger in his heart… For revenge, to justify his own actions…

"Promise me… Do not let her suffer… Like this…" the words of his old friend echoed in his mind. He remembered how she, the true embodiment of life had looked sorrowful in her last moments. He had been the one to preach to her about the meaning of true love, projecting his own love for Ho-Oh and assuring her that it would only bring happiness.

But he had been wrong. The one she was with had used her, abandoned her and left her for dead. He was forced to watch as his best friend fell into depression, grew weaker and finally died in bitter grief without ever even seeing her own daughter. Because of his trust in love, she had been forced to tread the most agonizing path available.

"I promise," another voice sounded in his memories, his own this time. He took it upon himself to raise the daughter of his dear friend. He swore with all his heart that Mew, the heir to his friend's legacy, would never experience the same fate.

But as the time had finally come and he was but a single attack from preventing everything from happening… He could not do it. He could not bring himself to take the life of Mew's friend, even if he was to be her eventual demise. He was not a killer.

"P… Please… I beg of you…" Lugia pleaded as he slumped down to the ground in defeat, "… Leave Mew alone…"

"Bite me," Lucario replied with an angry huff as he disappeared into the passage, leaving the cave and an old man alone with his regrets.

Lucario grumbled angrily as he exited the passage, having gone from terror to rage at his mistreatment during the time it took for him to walk back from Lugia. He saw that Zerobi had fallen asleep while he was away, and felt he needed someone to share a little of his misery.

"Thanks for the whole 'formal' advice thing," Lucario muttered sarcastically, Zerobi twitching awake in response. She yawned and looked at Lucario, his face scrounged up in rage.

"Man, you look pissed…" Zerobi asked groggily while scratching her head, "What happened…?"

Lucario looked back at her and realized he was being a jerk, taking out his anger on her. She obviously had no clue as to what had happened, and he was less than keen at letting her or anyone else know. The subject matter had not exactly been something he wanted to revisit, and all he needed to do about it was to warn Mew that Lugia was too paranoid for his own good.

"… Nothing," Lucario responded with an exhausted huff as he fell down on the bed of sprouts beside her, "I'm going to bed. Do me a favor and kill anyone that touches me, I'd hate to have to get up and do it myself."

Zerobi looked at him for a few moments with confusion before shrugging and also lying down, too tired to delve any further. She fell asleep again much quicker than Lucario, who was kept awake by new thoughts buzzing through his mind. Most prominent were the ones that told him that coming here had been a bad idea.

Brilliant.
    Lugia used to be one of my favorite pokemon.
    You portayed him greatly. Mayhaps I guess how the percentage of total completioon. 50%.
    (I never quite get story arcs.)
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

This the aquabats song awesome forces:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4sL0w3SHM
    and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post14945242

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you wanted to get the chapters out quick.

I can see how Lugia wants to keep Mew safe, with her mother dying and his promise to her. God, nothing has been going right for Lucario lately. He finally gets to this island after months of travel and now is being asked to leave-more like ordered actually, he needs a break.
    I honestly wonder how Mew will take the news that Lucario is leaving, but maybe we'll now get to see the situation on the mainland again, and possibly the quest to find Ethan's former Pokemon.

With things picking up now in the story, I can't wait to read more.

Wow, Lugia won't even give lucario the chance to prove himself, it's just like "nope, you like her and will kill her through love." I hope lucario gets to stay, but lugia will likely complicate things however if he does, mew will intervene and hate lugia for his actions. Who knows.

I didn't find any errors here so yeah... good job as usual tho I can't wait for some real action and am looking forward to more.

P.S. read pikablus story, I really liked it, it felt like a story from PMD in explorers of sky but better and not involving me to do anything. Atleast now I know where those characters that showed up in earlier in the story are from.

-Azurus

Quote Originally Posted by Rotomknight View Post
    Mayhaps I guess how the percentage of total completioon. 50%.
    Content-wise or by wordcount? Either way, yeah, it's pretty close to that.

He finally gets to this island after months of travel and now is being asked to leave-more like ordered actually, he needs a break.
    Actually, that's the next story arc. Lucario lies around on a beach and sips distilled berry juice. The climax is when a cloud covers up the sun, and the main villain is a servant with a snooty attitude!

If only. Going by what's happened so far, the only breaks he'll be getting involves every bone in his body.

P.S. read pikablus story, I really liked it, it felt like a story from PMD in explorers of sky but better and not involving me to do anything.
    Haha, yeah. Those games had great writing, but around the 20th floor you start to wonder what you're doing with your life.

For legit Pikablu action, eat a Violent Seed and spam Double Team for 25%, or your strongest attack for 50%!

But lucario hates berries... 'twould be hilarious if it was dry berry juice he was drinking tho.

Sooooo... what do you do when not writing? Personally I've acquired an inspiration from knightfall to actually start a story from a villians perspective, and am browsing internet forums or reading fanfics (I hate that word since it implies idiocy, to me anyway) for ideas.

-Azurus

But lucario hates berries... 'twould be hilarious if it was dry berry juice he was drinking tho.
    It's distilled! He boiled away the nastiness (and coincidentally, anything resembling a taste)!

Sooooo... what do you do when not writing? Personally I've acquired an inspiration from knightfall to actually start a story from a villians perspective, and am browsing internet forums or reading fanfics (I hate that word since it implies idiocy, to me anyway) for ideas.
    The opposite of what I'm doing, then… I've got my mind full keeping track of one fanfiction – This one! Besides, I only write maybe two hours per week, so I wouldn't really classify that as an activity. If you're looking for inspiration, a good start is to go through every movie on the IMDB top 250 list. Watch Seven Samurai until you feel enlightened!

Chapter 48

Oppressive Sprite Mesprit

Mew closed her tired eyes as she floated through the long, stretching cavern. She had decided to take a break after only five days inside the main chamber, but realized it would not do her much as the fierce debate continued on inside her own head. Still, she knew a pause was necessary as she was beginning to find herself distracted near the end due to exhaustion and boredom, sorely missing the unexpected and often humorous input from a certain friend.

"How goes the proceedings?" a familiar voice asked as she looked up, and was surprised to have let someone as big as Lugia slip her notice. Being tired and not able to sense his aura had something to do with it, but she also knew the greatest reason was that Lugia somehow seemed smaller than she remembered. He was still massive in every dimension compared to her, but she vividly remembered how unspeakably gargantuan he had seemed when she was still an infant. Between being raised by both him and Giratina, she thought there was no wonder why she was so difficult to intimidate.

"Same as before you left," Mew answered quietly, "It seems that no matter how we go about it, No Man's Land will put a halt to our solution."

There was a moment of silence as she hovered in front of Lugia. Finally, she lowered herself to the ground and sat down. She had hoped to go see Lucario to help get her mind off things, but decided to stay with Lugia for a while to see what his personal opinions were. If there was anyone's judgment she had come to trust, it was his.

"… It is such a shame," she said, thinking about the people still discussing matters back in the main chamber, "We spent so much time and effort to assemble, and now it all amounts to us stopping a local insurgency while the real problem is ignored."

"Indeed," Lugia said while letting the feathers around his eyes flutter slightly, "Perhaps we do not require a collective to handle a situation of such nature?"

"Absolutely, if we were to show ourselves to the public now it would simply hasten the declaration of war…" Mew replied quickly as she had already thought along those lines, when the meaning of what Lugia had said suddenly hit her, "… Wait… Do you mean…"

Lugia let the silence drift between them for a moment as he looked down at her. She had become the exact likeness of her mother, and he felt a little out of breath as he remembered her last words once more. He hated himself for what he was about to do, but knew it was for her own good. This time, the true danger to her life was not among enemies in the ferocious wild, but among friends in her peaceful sanctuary.

"… I can still remember the day you were born," Lugia said quietly after his short reminiscence, "To me, you are still a little child… But I know that in truth, you are strong, wise and independent… Perhaps even more so than I am."

Mew could not believe what she was hearing. She knew she must be interpreting his words poorly, because there was no possibility the Lugia she knew so well was asking of her what she thought he was. Lugia, the one who had always opposed every task assigned to her that bore even the slightest resemblance to danger. Lugia, the first one out to commence a search whenever she and Celebi had ditched their education to go explore the world. Lugia, the very same who insisted on protecting her like a baby even after she had grown up, surpassed him in power and defeated the strongest Pokémon in the world.

"Time is of the essence, because this situation may escalate with every passing day," Lugia continued as he looked away from her as to not falter or hesitate, "Go. I have full confidence in you… However, should things become dangerous, I want you to abort and return immediately. Do you understand?"

"Yes!" Mew exclaimed happily, feeling her exhaustion lift like an exorcised curse. After decades of constantly improving herself, she had finally gotten him to acknowledge her maturity and strength. She wondered if it was thanks to her encounter with Deoxys and Ethan, and could not wait to tell the wonderful news to the latter.

"One more thing," Lugia said as he knew there was one more thing left to make sure of if his plan was to work, "You should not tell anyone of your departure."

"Why?" Mew asked as she calmed down, realizing that her giddy response might have revoked his newfound respect for her.

"You were accompanied here by someone, were you not?" Lugia continued as he craned his neck down towards her, being careful not to let his seething hate for the brash Lucario show, "Are you able to convince him to stay here as to not slow you down?"

"Of course!" Mew replied confidently before realizing the only reason he was here to begin with was because she had failed at just that, "Well… I should be…"

"There is no reason to fret. You will only be gone for a short period of time," Lugia assured her with a gentle smile, "Much like you, he is also an independent soul. I will personally see to it that his stay becomes pleasant."

Hesitation coursed through Mew, but after a few seconds of thinking she nodded in agreement. Lucario still had much to learn, and would benefit from staying with the wise Lugia for a while. He had followed her because he was worried about being ambushed and captured by powerful trainers, something that was nearly impossible now that he was among so many powerful legendaries.

As she exited the passage, Mew saw Mesprit hovering in suspended animation. The even smaller legendary was diligently practicing her ability to form an astral body, a task Mew knew would take her a few more years to master. Creating a being capable of sensory perception mostly out of skin residue and air was a very difficult thing, and Mew hoped the best for the younger psychic. Mesprit was guarding the passage and if she had sensed someone's aura she would have sprung to life in an instant, but as things were Mew knew she would be able to sneak by without much effort. Not far from the exit was a bed of plants that she believed to have been created by Celebi, and on top of it laid Lucario and Zerobi, peacefully sleeping next to each other.

A quick look told her that their muscles were strained, and she realized Lucario must be working to get back into shape after letting her pamper him for so long. A dissonant smile crossed her face as she remembered Lucario's very short attempt at sparring with her, which ended up with him not being able to move for the duration of the day. Even so, she felt a bit sad over the fact that Zerobi had no problems doing what Mew had denied him all this time. It was obvious to her now that they were a much better match for each other.

She flew away from them quietly as to not wake them up, and started planning on how she would get past whichever of the legendary birds was currently keeping watch. She stopped halfway through her planning, as a new set of thoughts interrupted her. Turning around, she looked at Lucario and Zerobi once more.

It would give the two of them more time to catch up. If Zerobi had any interest in Lucario, this would be the perfect time for them to get closer without her there to interrupt. Indeed, her silent departure was beginning to seem more and more like the perfect plan. She spun around once more, but could not bring herself to move away this time.

Mew did not understand. Why was she hesitating? Finally, she could fly free once more! No need to move at a Slowpoke's pace, hiding under a cloak and hoping Lucario wouldn't do anything too stupid to make them both get caught! No useless physical training, no snide remarks about everything and everyone, and no need to explain every obvious little detail regarding Pokémon!

A noise like a cough came from Lucario as he stirred, Mew flinching in surprise. She moved closer to make sure she had not accidentally spoken her thoughts out loud and woken him up. He was still sleeping like a log, just as he had every day they spent traveling together. She had hated all the unnecessary stops at first, but came to enjoy the fact that it had given her an excuse to rest more frequently than ever before. Had she been by herself, she would never have allowed such leisure.

Although she was reluctant to admit it, she knew there were many things Lucario had taught her as well. Disregarding his strange and even dubious claims about the difference between being human and Pokémon, his carefree view of life had somewhat enriched her own. His ability to see the absurdity in everything had rubbed off on her, and made it easier to come to terms with what she herself did not understand. For what she predicted was to come for the world, she knew it would be an invaluable skill.

Mew looked down at Lucario. Suddenly, she let her tail give him a light tap to the head, quietly hoping he would wake up. That way, she could tell him what she was about to do, and he could at least tell her what he thought. Maybe he would say something funny to ease her mind before she left? Maybe he would even demand to follow her once more, so he could help her handle the situation of No Man's Land? Maybe, just maybe, their time together wouldn't have to end like this…?

She shook her head. She knew she was being selfish. She would only be gone for a few weeks at most, and the lives of many depended on her constant vigilance and speed. With a quick turn, she sped away from Lucario so he would not suddenly wake up and ruin her newfound determination.

As she flew out into the raging storm, the past few months suddenly felt like a fleeting dream. Here she was again, risking a lifetime of slavery to ease the burden of strangers. Hiding herself… Fearing everyone… And once more, she was completely alone.

- - - - - - - - -

A new day was dawning. Lucario had finished his morning berry and spent the next few minutes heaving, much to Zerobi's amusement. After that, he had been pacing back and forth restlessly around the cave which seemed to grow more cramped than ever with each step. He needed to speak to Mew with increasing urgency, realizing that every passing moment in which he did not warm Mew about Lugia was one where the paranoid legendary might get to her first.

Zerobi was leaning against a wall while reading another newspaper Azelf had brought with him, her complaints about the uninteresting content falling on deaf ears. Mesprit was hovering by the entrance to the inner chambers, seemingly devoid of any consciousness. The legendary thunderbird Zapdos had come back a few moments earlier, roosting on a higher section of the cavern in an uncharacteristic display of calmness. Lucario knew that between upholding a storm and keeping up with the rigorous debates, she must be completely exhausted.

"Could you… You know… Take it easy?" Zapdos asked drowsily as she could not stop her eyes following Lucario around, "It's difficult enough getting some rest without you running back and forth."

"Damn it," Lucario huffed in response to anyone who would listen, "I've had enough of this. Is Mew finished in there yet?"

"Heh. I'd say," Zapdos said casually as she overheard him, "She left last night."

Suddenly, Lucario stopped walking and stood still as he looked up at her, a bewildered look on his face.

"… What?" he asked, not believing what he had heard.

"Yeah. She's gone to No Man's Land to fix that whole thing," Zapdos explained, glad to see the eager Lucario finally give it a rest, "She told me not to wake you. Not that I could, you snore like a…"

Zapdos stopped herself when she noticed Lucario was no longer there, wondering if this is what other people felt like whenever she took off hastily.

"Uh…" was all Mesprit had time to say as Lucario spun past her and ran into the passage, fury contorting his face. He paid little mind to not bump into his surroundings this time, thinking that Lugia would have an easier time dealing with a flood than him right now.

"Stop!" he heard Mesprit shouting from behind, obviously trying to follow him, "I demand that you stop!"

Lucario ignored her and continued running. Fighting was one thing, but when it came to running long distances, he knew not even a legendary would be able to catch up with him. Over a year of constant walking and running had strengthened his legs, something he not imagined would come in handy in a situation like this. Then again, he had never imagined a situation like this even happening to begin with.

"Lugia!" Lucario shouted as he ran into the room where the gigantic legendary sat, "What did you do!? What did you tell Mew!?"

Lugia had his back turned to him, but spun around at a leisure pace to face him with a confused look. Then, his expression turned into one of clarity.

"I informed Mew of a potential solution to the current situation of No Man's Land," Lugia said calmly as he regarded the small Pokémon by his feet with a smug smile, "She volunteered to handle it so we may resume with our decision regarding the real issues."

A chilling sensation crept up Lucario's back. It was as he feared; Lugia had spoken to Mew, and now he was truly alone against the massive legendary. He barely paid notice to Mesprit coming up from behind, and she stopped herself to see what was happening.

"… She really left?" Lucario asked with a defeated stare, somewhat out of breath after the previous spurt, "Then… Why the hell am I still here!?"

"Our differences aside, time is much too critical for her to have been able to bring you with her," Lugia explained casually while never breaking eye contact with Lucario, "That is a fact."

"I don't believe a word of it!" Lucario yelled angrily, a hint of doubt in his voice as the words she had spoken to Mewtwo regarding his existence echoed through his mind, "She… She'd at least tell me if she was planning on leaving!"

"Make no mistake, Lucario. The decision to send her alone was mine," Lugia explained before his expression because just as stern and menacing as it had the night before, "But the decision to sneak out as to avoid you… Was hers."

Everything froze for Lucario. Was it possible…? Everything had gone down just like she had told Mewtwo it would. Lucario's memories regarding Pokémon had all but disappeared, and so he was not the Ethan she had hoped to bring back… Even after all this time together, did she regard him as nothing but a disappointment? Behind a veil of tolerance, did she actually hate him?

"No…" Lucario whispered to himself as he realized what must have happened. She had been completely fine until she ran into Lugia, who had an obvious grudge against the two of them. He cringed as he imagined what the giant legendary must have told her, and that was assuming he hadn't just filled her head with lies.

"YOU'RE the sneaky bastard here, not Mew!" Lucario burst out in pure rage as he clenched his fists, "What did-"

"I have heard enough of this!" Mesprit suddenly interrupted, grabbing a hold of Lucario with her psychic powers. Lucario was completely taken off guard and lost control of his body, being dragged back through the passage by an invisible force. Lucario glared hatefully at Lugia who stared back at him with intensity, as a deceivingly gentle smile caressed the old legendary's face.

"How dare you speak to Lugia that way!?" Mesprit yelled angrily when the two of them had gone about halfway through the passage, slamming Lucario ferociously against the wall with her powers. Lucario twisted and turned to rid himself of her hold, ready to fight her the moment he touched ground again.

"Easy," Lucario growled between gritted teeth, "He's an old creep and I hate him."

"You insolent fool!" Mesprit shouted back, her two tails swishing back and forth in annoyance, "You… You're just a regular Pokémon! You should be worshiping him for even allowing you to be here among us legendaries!"

"Allowing me!?" Lucario snapped back as he pushed harder against the psychic powers, rage filling him and strengthening his lingering urge to beat her up, "I'll have you know, I came here to help you ungrateful bastards save the world!"

"No, you didn't…" Mesprit said slowly, letting herself calm down as she eased up on her restraining powers a little, just to make certain she wouldn't accidentally crush him in her anger.

"You came here as a pet," she said bitterly while looking up at Lucario, "Do you really think you or anyone of your inferior kind can help us in any way? You even turned out to be less than useless, having verbally assaulted the great Lugia."

"Y… You little brat! I'll kick your butt!" Lucario burst out with fury, his rage reaching its peak with Mesprit's demeaning words. He refused to accept it; the only thing the future had in store was his fist in her mouth and a smile on his face. He tugged manically at the small legendary's invisible force, which was currently the only thing holding him back from going completely berserk. However, no matter how hard he fought against it, he could not break the hold she had over him, and only grew more and more exhausted with each try.

"They assigned me to be your babysitter, you know…" Mesprit continued with the same sour tone to her voice as she yawned while watching his vain attempts at escaping, "I came all this way just to stay outside and make sure you don't get out of line… Which you did, anyway. I should be in there, why couldn't they have picked my brothers to take care of something this simple…?"

"BASTARD!" Lucario bellowed and continued his mad struggle for several minutes until there was not an ounce of strength left in him. He considered using his trump card in a last act of spite, but knew he required far more control of his body to pull it off. A vicious groan slipped from his mouth as he finally tired and hung limply against the wall. At long last, Mesprit released her grasp of him, but stayed alert in case he tried anything. He slumped down on the ground, drained of all energy.

"… The next time you come back, I'll punish you for real," Mesprit muttered as she turned around to go see if Lugia was fine, "Now, go play and stay out of our way. We legendaries have important business to take care of."

Lucario saw her disappear further in as he punched the ground in exasperation. In his mind, he tried to replace the rocky floor with Lugia's superior smirk and Mesprit's demeaning look, but it did nothing to rid him of his pent up frustration.

I have only just finished Chapter 1 but so far it is really good and I love both Lucario and Piplup's personalities.
    I also think that the plot is great.

"If someone tells me it's wrong to hope, I will tell them they're wrong every time. I could tell them that countless times" -Madoka Kaname

Hmm, not too much to say this chapter, I like it but it seems to be missing something... No errors that I can tell.

Anyway, what's the real problem they are dealing with? I thought the no mans land was the biggest thing going on at the moment, hopefully I didn't miss something.

Anyway, looking forward to more so keep em coming.

-Azurus

What you are missing is lucario's problems.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

Finally some time to respond.
    Overall good chapter. It seems Lucario is doing nothing but making enemies at the island, normally that's fine, but not so much when your enemies are superpowered gods.

A bit sad about Mew leaving, now Lucario has one less ally in that lion's den. I am eargely waiting for the next new chapter, to see what happens with Lucario now, with Mew, and what exactly Lugia has planned.

Sorry for the shortness of this reponse, but I'm short on time.
    So until next time,

Hmm, not too much to say this chapter, I like it but it seems to be missing something...
    It's missing the conclusion! The next chapter will be the end of this episode, and it should be finished sometime next week!

Anyway, what's the real problem they are dealing with? I thought the no mans land was the biggest thing going on at the moment, hopefully I didn't miss something.
    Well, uh, humanity has finally gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. Gathering the best of trainers, they have decided to subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. The strong will expire as a large conflict between Pokémon and humans arises… And since this totally sucks, the legendaries are trying to make sure it doesn't happen!

What you are missing is lucario's problems.
    Missing WOULD be Lucario's problem, now that he's got the Aura Sphere. Don't worry, though - He's actually got really good aim.

It seems Lucario is doing nothing but making enemies at the island, normally that's fine, but not so much when your enemies are superpowered gods.
    It'll be a race to see which one can horribly maim him first. My money's on Suicune!

If you're interested, here's a rejected image which I had planned to use for one of these chapters:

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/8492/legendsd.png

Took me a while to realize that Uxie was the yellow one, and he shouldn't be floating. Also, it's pretty cluttered, the four-in-one-image only worked well with the Kojofu (Mienfoo).

Slightly off topic but still somehow related, do you guys reread the past posts so you don't forget anything? Recently, since I now have to wait for updates instead of reading like 30 of them at once, the story becomes disjointed and it's hard to follow. Any tips other than just rereading past stuff so the story makes sense again?

Also that image is OK, but I don't see a practical use for it by itself. Also I recently clicked the image of bloody zerobi, what is with her eyes? They look a little messed up.

-Azurus

Chapter 49

Departure
    (Epilogue of Episode VIII)

"What's wrong?" Zerobi asked as Lucario exited the rocky passage. She had stood outside and waited patiently ever since he had gone in, not sure of what was going on and definitively not looking to get into a fight with the most powerful beings on Earth.

"These legendaries are starting to piss me off," Lucario responded bitterly with a grouchy expression, "I regret ever coming here in the first place."

Sympathy filled Zerobi as she sighed out loud. She had initially looked forward to coming here as it meant meeting so many legendaries, but they had turned out to be less spectacular than she had hoped. After that she had stuck around to be able to see Lucario again, but the atmosphere between them was thinning out in favor of complete and utter boredom. The only good part about all this, she knew, was that it would be a perfect time for her to share her secret plan.

"Hey…" Zerobi whispered as a very sinister smile crossed her face, "… Wanna do something crazy?"

"What?" Lucario asked, the words 'kill everyone' appearing in his mind.

"You said you know how to remove your aura, and I never had one to begin with…" Zerobi continued whispering, before looking around to make sure no one was listening, "How about we sneak out, ditch this island and go someplace nice?"

"I'm liking it…" Lucario responded almost immediately without giving it any extra thought. Anything was better than staying here, waiting for the moment when Lugia decides to kill him, Mesprit decides to emasculate him again or he simply snaps and starts throwing Aura Spheres in everyone's faces. The more he thought about Zerobi's plan, the better it seemed.

"… Wait, it's perfect!" Lucario shouted as the realization suddenly hit him, "We'll go help Mew!"

"Huh?" Zerobi exclaimed in confusion, "… Mew?"

"She's gone to No Man's Land to see Zoroark, who I've already met and talked to," Lucario explained as he felt his spirits rising once more, "I promised to help solve the issue between humans and Pokémon, and I'm not accomplishing anything by just sitting here!"

"You know, I can't but notice that every other word out your mouth is Mew-this and Mew-that," Zerobi muttered with a tinge of jealousy in her voice, "Why do you even care?"

"… I think Lugia might have told Mew a great deal of lies about me," Lucario muttered bitterly before his newfound determination told him that there was still a way for him to fix everything, "I've got to set things straight, or I'll never live it down. Oh, and patching things up with Zoroark wouldn't hurt… Maybe say hello to that guy Alfred, or whatever his name was…"

"… I don't know…" Zerobi mumbled. She had hoped for the two of them to be alone and maybe even settle down somewhere, not wander around and risk their lives for a cause she didn't really care about.

"Come on, traveling with you is so much fun!" Lucario said earnestly as he suddenly grabbed a hold of Zerobi's shoulders, "Let's go out and see the world together! You and me, just like old times!"

"… All right," Zerobi answered after a few moments, wondering why she suddenly felt so reluctant to go along with her own plan. It wasn't exactly what she had hoped for, but it was definitively better than sitting in a cave until they die from old age. She knew it would be the perfect opportunity for them to get closer, but was also starting to wonder if anything was ever going to happen between them. If Lucario really was as incapable of love as he claimed to be, she would be wasting her time for nothing. She needed assurance.

"YES!" Lucario shouted triumphantly, withholding the urge to leap into the air out of joy at the last moment, "Oh, right. Sneaking. How are we getting off this island, anyway? I saw that storm up close on the way here, we'll drown for sure!"

"Give me a minute and I'll handle it," Zerobi replied confidently, already having figured out the best solution to both that problem and her own, "Let's meet up here in a while. And yeah, pack your things discretely. You never know, they might try to keep us here if they find out."

Half an hour later, Lucario found himself alone at their designated meeting spot. He had actually been sitting there and waiting the entire time, having quickly realized that he had nothing to pack but a worn-out cloak which would not be needed anymore. Traveling with the very handy Mew meant that he hadn't needed to carry anything with him, and he silently prayed that Zerobi had brought some supplies lest they were forced to sleep on the hard ground without any protection from the rain.

"Are you ready?" a familiar voice suddenly came from behind, one that Lucario had not expected.

"Celebi!?" Lucario asked, standing up in shock as he saw the green fairy hovering behind him. His mind raced with many thoughts, wondering if she had come to put a stop to his and Zerobi's plan.

"Dampen your aura and follow me," Celebi whispered as she waved him over, "Sis is waiting!"

Lucario sighed in relief as the two of them moved through the cave, making sure that no one saw them. Mesprit had yet to come back from the passage that led to Lugia, and Moltres was sleeping soundly in a corner, so it was a fairly simple task. Lucario knew Uxie would erase his aura automatically, but still kept it low so they would not be discovered once they exited his area of effect.

They had made it all the way through the slanting passage to the world above ground before Celebi finally broke the silence. Having floated behind Lucario all this time, she had felt bored and scanned his body to pass the time, only to make a horrifying discovery.

"Wait… Your back…" she spoke quietly before raising her voice, "… You've been wounded! What happened!?"

"Huh?" Lucario exclaimed, wondering what she was talking about. He let a hand drift over his back, and noticed that it felt sore for some reason.

"Oh… Must be from Mesprit slamming me into the wall earlier," Lucario muttered, having completely ignored his physical damage in favor of how badly she had hurt his pride.

"… I see," Celebi responded with a depressed tone, somehow feeling bad for both Lucario and Mesprit, "Please, do not hate her for it."

"Won't be a problem, it's really not that painful," Lucario said, thinking to himself that he had plenty other reason for hating the oppressive legendary.

"She might seem a bit uptight, but that's because she's still young," Celebi explained as she remembered her own thoughts and disposition before she had matured, "I believe both Mew and I were the same around her age."

"… The same, eh?" Lucario muttered, vividly remembering a particular altercation between him and Mew that had resulted in her immobilizing him with her psychic abilities, "… Never would've guessed."

Celebi soared ahead and created a minor barrier to shield them from the rain as a very nasty thought hit Lucario. Celebi's response had sounded like she was defending Mesprit's actions, and he began wondering if she secretly harbored animosity for him as well. His short but devastating visit to the legendaries had made him far more paranoid than before, his memory of Ivy's unexpected and devastating betrayal burning stronger in his mind than ever before. He really wanted to believe that Mew and Celebi were truly his friends, but could not help but start wondering if there was anyone at this point he could really trust. The only one that even came close was Zerobi, and he hoped that she would never turn out to be hiding skeletons in her closet.

"You're coming with us?" Lucario asked, hiding his reluctance as he was yet unsure of her allegiances.

"Well, no…" Celebi responded sadly, "I thought I might use this opportunity to talk to an old friend who lives over in Viridian Forest! It is nearby, but not in your direction…"

They walked out into the rain, the barrier shielding them well from the elements. Since Celebi was here with him, Lucario wondered if Zerobi was currently alone out in the storm without protection. He remembered her liking the cold, but wondered if the same could be said for strong winds and wetness.

Meanwhile, Celebi was busy preparing herself for what was to come. She had never done anything even remotely like it before, but had promised that she would at least try. There was much riding on it, and she knew it to be was her most important duty as a sister.

"So, Lucario…" Celebi suddenly said, trying to sound innocent as they moved along, "… How are you?"

"Good, I suppose," Lucario responded and wondered what had brought that question on, "How are you?"

"… So, Lucario…" Celebi repeated awkwardly as she mustered up all her courage, "Do you… Do you think you could learn to… Love a Pokémon?"

Lucario stopped as he looked at her for a moment. Then, he started laughing out loud.

"HAHAHAHAHAHA!" Lucario laughed as he held his sides, "Sorry, sweetie, I think I'm a little too big for you!"

"N-No! Not me! Not…" Celebi protested while wildly flailing her arms around a bit before calming down, "… Just… Hypothetically."

"MAN! Why's everyone going on about this, all of a sudden?" Lucario asked jokingly before his expression suddenly turned darker, "… Bloody Lugia. What did he tell you?"

"… Lugia? Why would he have anything to say about this?" Celebi asked with a confused look on her face, realizing this conversation was not going as smoothly as she had hoped, "Did I say something wrong? I am sorry, I am not too familiar with this subject."

"No, it's OK," Lucario replied while waving his hand in a dismissive gesture. He knew what it felt like to be judged by other people for saying something stupid, and decided to ignore the whole thing for her sake.

"So…" Celebi continued after a short moment of silence, "… Could you learn to love a Pokémon?"

"… Why do you want to know?" Lucario asked with a sigh, realizing that she had no plans on letting up.

"You are the only human Pokémon in existence," Celebi explained, saying what she had planned out beforehand to hide her true motive, "I am curious about many things regarding you, and this is one of them!"

"In that case, no," Lucario said bluntly as he resumed walking, "I used to be human, so if I'm looking for love I won't find it in a damn Pokémon. There, there's your answer."

"But… You are no longer human," Celebi insisted as she followed behind him, impressed to see him moving in the right direction, "Will you live life without ever pursuing love?"

"… Well…" Lucario mumbled as he thought to himself, suddenly looking back at Celebi and smiling, "I guess I could join you and Mew in celibacy, no?"

"But… Our situations are vastly different!" Celebi responded with indignation, shocked and appalled that he had even suggested it, "We physically cannot, or we would die! In your case, you simply do not want to!"

"… Actually, it's not even that," Lucario said quietly as he looked forward again and continued walking, "I… Just don't feel like it."

Bewilderment clouded Celebi's features as she tried to determine what he meant. Her decision regarding relationships had always been made for her, and so she had no idea why anyone would willingly reject what was apparently the greatest experience in life. For a moment she felt a little better about herself. There were those that were capable of love but choose not to pursue it, and that meant she wasn't as alone in her predicament as she had once thought.

"What do you mean?" Celebi asked as Lucario scratched his head in annoyance.

"Argh, I don't even know…" Lucario muttered angrily, "I used to be human, and just thinking about getting together with a Pokémon is so taboo I should probably check into a mental institution."

A stifling feeling was beginning to spread through him as he explained himself. He stopped for a moment and looked down, once again forced to remind himself that he was not who he thought and felt he was.

"But… I'm a Pokémon now, and will forever be," Lucario continued has his angry tone dissipated into one of sorrow, "If I wanted to be with a human now… That would be what's crazy, no?"

It felt unfair, and he sighed as he realized there were some things he would never come to terms with.

"See? I don't have an answer," Lucario said as he gave off a dissonant smile and looked at Celebi, "I'm the one who needs love counseling, not you."

"… Then perhaps I can set you up with some manner of… Love counseling?" Celebi responded carefully, going through her memory to see if she knew anyone who would be up to the task.

"Just… Stop right there," Lucario groaned as he held his hands up in front of him, "I can tell you're doing all this on someone else's behalf."

"Ah!" Celebi exclaimed, surprised at finally having been found out and cursing herself for pressing too hard, "How… How did you know?"

"Wild guess," Lucario muttered with sarcasm, "Next time you see him, tell him he's so high up on my hate-list I'm putting his name as the header AND footer for every page."

"… Him?" Celebi repeated, wondering who he was referring to but swiftly using it to cover up who had really asked her, "Um, yes. I will do that."

They continued chatting, Lucario being careful about what he said from that point on. He was still a bit worried over whether Celebi genuinely liked him or not. At a first glance she seemed to, but he knew that she had defended Mesprit's actions before carrying out Lugia's request, and could just as easily turn on him if he explained the situation more clearly.

After a few more minutes the two of them reached the edge of the island. Seeing anything in the raging storm was quite difficult, but the sound of Zerobi's voice ahead told Lucario that he had come to the right place. He could hear another voice talking to her, one he recognized but had not expected. The closer he got, the clearer and more familiar the large, yellow figure became.

"… The refreshing northern cold, it's just way too hot everywh…" Zerobi's voice sounded as she suddenly peaked out from behind the yellow bird, "… Ah, there you are!"

"Yo," Lucario said to Zerobi before looking up at Zapdos, "And… Yo."

"Heard you ticked off pops," Zapdos said with a grim expression as Celebi flew up to Zerobi. The two sisters moved to the side and started whispering to each other as Zapdos' face suddenly lightened up.

"Hey, I don't blame you, he can be a bit stubborn at times," Zapdos said with something like a smile across her beak, "Listen, don't take it personally. He really hates that name, you know."

"What name? You mean… Sneaky bastard?" Lucario asked, thinking back to what else he had called the humongous legendary.

"Hahaha! Not THAT name, your name!" Zapdos laughed before her face became a bit more serious, "Wait, you KNOW about the trainer Ethan, right?"

"Of course!" Lucario responded, finally realizing what she had meant.

"He and pops had a bad tussle way back when," Zapdos explained while reminiscing, "I don't remember exactly why, I was just a lil' nestling… But mention that name to him, oh boy, that gets him riled up! Tressie and I used to do it every day!"

"I don't think my name's the reason he hated me," Lucario replied, suddenly very glad Mew had been smart enough not to disclose his past. He did not need more reasons for Lugia to want him dead. Still, he could not help but wonder if their apparently troublesome past had something to do with their current loathing for each other.

"No, of course not," Zapdos said as she snapped out of her dreamlike state, "Oh, well. Can't win 'em all over, can ya? Either way, you'll always have a friend in me."

"Yeah…" Lucario answered, suddenly feeling ashamed about his earlier fit of rage which had more or less included Zapdos as well, "… Listen, I'm sorry about leaving. You've been nothing but great to me, it's just that…"

"Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do…" Zapdos said as she turned her head and looked off into the distance, "… Say 'hi' to Mew for me."

With that, the thunderbird flew off into the night. Lucario turned around to see that Celebi and Zerobi had finished their whispering, both of them giving him a curious stare which made him feel uncomfortable. After making sure that they were ready, Celebi used her Miracle Eye to instill a temporary aura upon Zerobi, a sensation she reluctantly described as "very tingly". Celebi then lifted the two of them with her psychic abilities, Lucario keeping hold of Zerobi as a safety precaution just in case anything should happen. Unbeknownst to anyone but himself, he saw it as a safety precaution on his part as well, as Celebi would have to drop both of them into the ocean if she wanted to get rid of him. Together, they soared up into the sky and over the water.

Lucario smiled, eager to finally be leaving the island that had caused him so much inner turmoil and doubt. He knew that he would once again be treading into dangerous and unpredictable lands with nothing to protect him but his own legs and fists, but felt that whatever the future had in store for him it would not be worse than having to question the legitimacy of his own friends. Pokémon or not, they were all he had.
    Last edited by ShadedSkies; 12th June 2012 at 2:18 AM.

Two things right off the bat, 1st, zerobi is spelled wrong in the 3rd paragraph (zeorbi)
    2nd is near the end, "giving him curious stare" should be "a curious stare"

Well well well, it seems that Ethan/Lucario is a studmuffin, all the ladies want him, I wonder if he will ever fully realize it.
    Hopefully Lucario doesn't find out about the 40+ skeletons in Zerobis' closet
    Last edited by Azurus; 12th June 2012 at 2:03 AM.

-Azurus

It would be crazy if lucario could figure out how to see a dark's aura.

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

It would be crazy if lucario could figure out how to see a dark's aura.
    Definitively. That ain't happening. The aura of Dark-types is... Uh, I'll have to explain this in the story fairly soon, anyway. Can you wait?

Slightly off topic but still somehow related, do you guys reread the past posts so you don't forget anything? Recently, since I now have to wait for updates instead of reading like 30 of them at once, the story becomes disjointed and it's hard to follow. Any tips other than just rereading past stuff so the story makes sense again?
    Whenever that happens to me, I always re-read the story again from the beginning. After the second reading everything usually sticks. Also, you get to see cool stuff you didn't notice before, like how Azelf was introduced as early as in chapter 10, and both Mew and Mewtwo in chapter 16... Not to mention, you get a sneak peek at tons of characters that have yet to appear!

Also that image is OK, but I don't see a practical use for it by itself. Also I recently clicked the image of bloody zerobi, what is with her eyes? They look a little messed up.
    It is said that your eyes are the windows to your soul. They are glowing brightly, but are also twisted and bleeding.

Chapter 50

Wild Monster Hunter

Three days had passed since Lucario and Zerobi had reached the mainland once more and said farewell to Celebi. It had been a tearful goodbye with many promises to reunite as soon as possible, most of which coming from the side of the small legendary. The duo was steadily making progress towards No Man's Land, currently moving across a field west of Fuchsia City and far away from civilization as to avoid running into the police or anyone else out looking for their blood.

Their plan had worked a little too well. No matter how far they wandered, the lands were completely devoid of both humans and Pokémon. It left Zerobi with an uneasy feeling while Lucario did not mind in the least, far too happy over not being attacked by random strangers anymore. The grass beneath their feet was warm and dry, a stark contrast to the permanently soggy ground they had been forced to endure on the island of the legendaries. The sun had apparently done its job well, and was retiring for the day by the edge of the horizon.

"Nice to be able to enjoy the scenery," Lucario said dreamily before snapping himself back to reality, "You know, without worrying about some murderous legendary dog popping up in the middle of it."

"… Not to burst your bubble or anything, but that might still happen," Zerobi replied, breathing chilled air against one of her claws and then letting it run through her warm hair. The cool sensation felt pleasant, but it did little to comfort her since she knew the sweltering heat would only get worse the closer they got to the equator. Even though the exotic temperature was something she knew she would have to get used to, she would make sure that they avoided having to pass through the scorching Safari Zone at all costs.

"Sure, but now I don't need to worry about it anymore!" Lucario responded while lightly bashing his chest a few times, "I've completely mastered the Aura Sphere! Heck, I hope they appear, that way we can take revenge! You're up for that, right?"

"Lucario…" Zerobi sighed, wondering just how much trouble Lucario's inflated confidence would get them into this time, "I know you're proud of new abilities and all, but you can't go up against a legendary. It's suicide."

"I can hear that you haven't seen the Aura Sphere in action yet," Lucario said with a smile, Zerobi wincing for reasons unknown to him, "It's too fast to dodge, completely ignores defense and hurt like HELL!"

"It's pretty scary, I'll admit that…" Zerobi muttered as she ran one of her chilled claws past her back to soothe the sudden burning sensation, "How many have you defeated with it so far?"

"Everyone I've used it on!" Lucario replied without thinking, "… Which, coincidentally…"

"… Is none?" Zerobi filled in for him, wondering why she had even bothered to ask.

"Unless you count rocks, yeah," Lucario said, suddenly feeling distraught, "But… By the end of my training, I was able hit even pebbles with perfect accuracy, so if it's my aim you're worrying about…"

"I worry about a lot…" Zerobi whispered truthfully. She had seen firsthand that Lucario was a very powerful and clever warrior, but she knew that his own naivety, lack of experience and unfounded confidence was bound to do him in some day. She would just have to make sure she was there to pull him away from the danger zone and escape when it happens.

"Hey!" Lucario suddenly exclaimed as if on cue with her thoughts, "… Someone's coming!"

Squinting his eyes to avoid staring directly into the twilight of the sun, Lucario saw a figure approaching them from the side. With the setting sun to its back it was impossible to tell what it was, but it appeared to be vaguely humanoid with several appendages sticking out from it. The figure became less of a silhouette and more of an actual being the nearer it came, but strangely enough it was actually turning less recognizable. Some appendages became spikes, others became horns. The grey monotone faded to display nearly every color of the spectrum strewn over its body. Lucario wondered what it could be as Zerobi decided to look more closely, immediately eliciting a stifled gasp.

"Sick bastard…!" Zerobi hissed with a disgusted tone, surprised to find that there was still something in this world so revoltingly grotesque even she could be staggered by it.

"What the… What kind of Pokémon is that?" Lucario asked, and for the first time since they had met Zerobi herself had no idea. She had never seen anything like it before, and she wondered if this is how confused Lucario felt every time they would encounter a new Pokémon. It was like a mass of gore which bore certain spots which she faintly recognized, but after inspecting it carefully with her keen eyes she was finally able to tell what it was.

"Human," Zerobi gasped with a stunned expression, "It's… It's a human!?"

"Really?" Lucario asked while crossing his arms, "Doesn't look very human to me."

Zerobi agreed. The human wore a silvery helmet with spikes protruding out of it, and it covered most of his face. Still, its appearance had a very familiar feel to it, and Zerobi tried to figure out why. The more she looked, the more she realized the likeness the helmet bore to the head of an Aggron, excluding the lower jaw. Where the jaw should have been was a purple chest piece with similar spikes sticking out from the shoulders, something she had expected to find on a Cloyster.

"He's… He appears to be wearing the skin and body parts of a bunch of Pokémon," Zerobi explained slowly as she herself was busy comprehending what she was seeing, "Like… Those red gloves? I think they're the claws of a Scizor, like the one we fought when rescuing sis."

"You mean…" Lucario mumbled as he tried to make sense out of what he was seeing, "… He's wearing them as a suit of armor?"

There was no doubt that the human had some kind of business with them, having already spotted them and starting to move closer at a higher pace. Approximately fifteen meters away, he stopped himself and straightened up his back as he started intently at them. They did not have to wonder long if he had hostile intentions or not, the human suddenly reaching behind his back and pulling out two objects. Nearly as long as the arms holding on to them, the strangest thing about these tools were that they were something Lucario could instantly recognize.

"Oh, look," Lucario said as he smiled to himself, "Sworn'ds."

"Wh-What?" Zerobi stuttered as she looked back and forth between Lucario and the human, "You know what that is? What kind of human is he?"

As Lucario inspected the strange being under the pretense that it was actually human, he was starting to see the connection. Even though the human's get-up would have made him passable for modern art, the shape of his body and general stature was definitively humanoid. For a moment the scene reminded Lucario a lot of his own childhood, when he and his friends would grab whatever sharp utensils they could find before running into the woods to hunt trolls and monsters. While that had all just been pretend and child's play, Lucario could tell from the atmosphere that this human meant serious business.

"If you ask me… He looks like a bit like a hunter," Lucario said before gazing at the human in sudden admiration, "Hey… You told me humans didn't use weapons! I could've been using awesome swords all this time!"

"Weapons?" Zerobi repeated as she looked at the human. She agreed that the tools he was carrying looked awfully sharp, but he was still just human. Outmaneuvering his lumbering form and wresting them from his noodly arms would be easier than subjugating an Oddish, and that was if she decided not to be a spoilsport and simply freeze him solid from a distance. A peculiar thought hit her as she looked over the hunter once more, focusing on something other than his armor this time.

"Wait!" Zerobi exclaimed after she was finished with her inspection, "He's not carrying any Pokémon!?"

"… Well, he is…" Lucario said with a snarky tone, "Just, you know, not in any Pokéballs."

"He's gonna try to fight us on his own!?" Zerobi continued before lowering her voice and looking disappointedly at Lucario, "Also, what the hell? Not funny."

"Hmm…" Lucario murmured to himself as he reached out with his inner senses, barely noticing anything in front of them, "… His aura's pretty weak."

"He's human, what did you expect?" Zerobi asked with a shrug, the hunter eyeing her carefully but still not making a move.

"Hey, I take offense to that…" Lucario muttered as his and Zerobi's eyes met for a moment, "… Well, not really. How hard can I hit him without killing him?"

"Pretty hard, considering that grotesque armor he's wearing," Zerobi mumbled while thinking that even if he was just a weak human, not even a saint among saints would be able to show such a psychopathic monster any mercy, "Break his leg or something, and we'll drop him off at a hospital in the next town… If we have to."

"… Eh, I can probably just scare him off with a harsh slap or something…" Lucario whispered to himself, again drawing parallels to his childhood and feeling sympathetic towards the fellow human. He took a step forward and the hunter twitched in response.

"Sorry, dude," Lucario muttered, "Maybe if it was a Rattata you would've stood a chance, but with me you're way out of your league."

The human suddenly held up the two swords like a cross above him, starting to run towards them. Zerobi moved back as Lucario sighed, his current opponent moving much slower than anything he had been forced to fight so far. He wondered if this is how poorly he would have help up in a real battle back when he was human too. Standing motionless, he let the human run up to him as to give the guy a fair chance before knocking him out cold.

The hunter initiated his attack by swinging the right sword vertically down towards Lucario, who easily avoided it by leaning to the side. The very next moment his other sword followed and came aimed at Lucario's throat, and he was forced to duck to let it miss. However, this time Lucario felt a stinging sensation scratch his side, the first sword coming back impossibly fast and slashing him. He instinctively made a small hop backwards, but the hunter had apparently anticipated this, already following him by thrusting both swords forward.

Still in midair and with no hopes of dodging, Lucario was hit squarely in the chest by both swords. He thought for a moment that he was dead, the hunter putting all his weight behind the attack to pierce through his body. However, as he stumbled back, he noticed that the pain was nothing compared to that the small Pokémon under Silver's control had inflicted in the same spot, and the slash to his side was barely noticeable compared to when Zoroark had cut through him. Looking down, he saw two visible marks where the swords had struck, slightly bleeding but just barely having gone beyond breaking the skin. The hunter came at him again as Lucario jumped back further this time, landing several feet away.

"Whoa, what the hell!?" Zerobi screamed as she felt the muscles around her neck tense up in sudden fear, "Quit playing around, he's good!"

"It's… It's fine!" Lucario yelled back while inspecting the rest of cuts to confirm that what he was feeling was accurate, "He's fast, but he's really weak; those knives are just grazing me!"

"Get yourself together, he's not just swinging around those things aimlessly!" Zerobi shouted, recognizing the hunter's attack pattern as something she herself had made use of in the past, "He turns them around halfway through a stroke to retain velocity! Don't stand around in the same spot, or you're dead!"

"… Get MYSELF together!?" Lucario shouted back as he turned around with an annoyed expression, "You get YOUR lazy butt into the battle! Come on, let's both attack him at once!"

Zerobi hesitated, still shaken from having seen Lucario nearly get impaled just a few seconds earlier. However, she realized that no matter how skilled the human was, beating him would still be a lot easier than many of the battles that lay ahead of them. She decided it would be a good chance to practice their teamwork and prepared herself for combat.

"All right," she said bluntly as she starting running, "I'm faster, follow my lead!"

The hunter remained immobile as Zerobi dashed towards him, the nimble Pokémon leaping back and forth in a zig-zag formation to throw him off. She knew one well-aimed slash would finish it, but worried that human blood would affect her as badly as the blood of Pokémon. The only time she had tried it was during her last stand outside the Cerulean Cave, and she had been so jacked up on blood back then she had not even noticed any difference. To be on the safe side, she decided to go with her original plan and grab a hold of the weapons to throw them away. With her hard and durable claws, grasping even the sharp point would not be a problem.

Sparks flew as the hunter blocked her strike, swords and claws grinding against each other with a quiet hiss as Lucario approached from behind. Zerobi quickly closed her claws around the blades and started pulling, knowing that some steel on a stick could never match up to her fully maneuverable hands. However, no matter how hard she pulled, the human would not let go. She looked down at his hands and saw the claws of a Scizor she had pointed out earlier tightening around the handles, wondering if they were what was giving the human his abnormal strength. Suddenly, the swords gave away all resistance, slipping out of her grasp as she stumbled forward by accident.

The hunter spun around as he narrowly avoid the tumbling Weavile, noticing the spikeless Lucario coming from the left and throwing a punch. Mustering up all his strength, the human shouted as he started swinging his swords both left and right, cutting through the two of them at the same time while bracing himself for what was to follow.

The blow of the Lucario struck him straight in the chest like a bolt of thunder, but the shell of the Cloyster he had once killed protected him well and absorbed the brunt of it. Even so, the powerful strike knocked him back a little as he ignored the pain and continued his attack, slashing the two of them a few more times. The Weavile imitated his strategy of taking hits in order to continue attacking, and he felt something sharp grazing the back of his right calf. If not for his armor, he knew he would have found himself a leg short.

Lucario and Zerobi did not give up, hoping to knock out or at least exhaust the human. His cuts were weak, but were also quickly building up all over their bodies as he continued letting his swords flail madly around him. They were now standing on both sides of him, hitting him with all they had while getting slashed in return. With a swift turn, Zerobi abandoned her previous inhibitions and spun around the hunter to try to pierce him through the back, quickly putting an end to it all. A clinging noise sounded as her claws were deflected by a very hard material, something she noticed was even stronger and sturdier than the armor he was wearing. A chill ran through her as she saw that whatever it was, it was bigger than the human carrying it and also completely smeared with dried up blood.

"TIME!" Lucario finally shouted as he grabbed a hold of the hunter and threw him away, hoping to get some reprieve from the onslaught of attacks. The human was a lot heavier than Lucario had expected, but was still no match for the Pokémon's unbridled strength as he flew through the air and fell hard on the ground. The hunter quickly got to his feet again, but could not stop himself from wobbling slightly in weariness. Lucario breathed heavily and saw Zerobi mimicking him, both of them fatigued and bleeding from many different cuts.

"Hah! He's pretty good, but I'd say we hurt him more than he hurt us!" Lucario exclaimed happily, tired but still fired up from the exciting battle, "Hmm… You don't go mad after getting splashed with your own blood, do you?"

Zerobi did not respond, and did not even look in Lucario's direction. He was suddenly reminded of the time she had turned around and slashed his throat, and feared that he had overlooked something. If she had cut the hunter too carelessly, or if even a single drop of his own blood had come into contact with her, he knew it might happen again. He cursed himself for having let her jump into such a bloody battle, and readied himself for what was about to happen.

Zerobi's breaths were coming slower and less frequently, all while a strangely familiar sensation coursed through her. It reminded her of her final moments in Cerulean City, the memory still fresh like it had happened yesterday.

A very nasty feeling was spreading from her right arm; numbing it and making her feel uncomfortable. She looked down at it, and noticed that underneath all the small cuts, it was beginning to develop a slightly pink hue. Eight long years had passed, but she had never forgotten the indescribable terror that had once led to her demise.

"P… Poison…" Zerobi stammered while realizing that even though Lucario had been hit by the swords even more than her, he was immune and had not even noticed anything, "… Goddamn it…"

A loud thud sounded as Zerobi suddenly fell over, her muscles growing weaker with each passing second. The world around her turned into a blur as her head pounded painfully. She tried to move, but her arms and legs were no longer responding to her commands.

"Zerobi!" Lucario screamed while running up to her, cursing himself for having misread the signs. She wasn't going mad from blood, she was dying from poison! He bent over to examine her when he felt a faint aura approaching, which was immediately followed by the sight of two swords swinging towards him.

"Whoa!" Lucario exclaimed while stumbling backwards in surprise, completely taken off guard by the hunter having returned to go on the offensive. He braced himself for the inevitable follow-up to his sloppy dodge, but it never came. Instead, the human looked down at Zerobi, before suddenly raising his swords up high and thrusting them down towards her.

"H-Hands off!" Lucario shouted in terror, quickly leaping towards the hunter and trying to tackle him, anything to get him and his weapons away from the exposed Zerobi. The hunter saw his charge coming and rolled out of the way, leaving something behind him as he did. Lucario looked down and saw a small canister made out of wood lying next to Zerobi, a faint sizzling sound emanating from it.

Zerobi was too badly poisoned to move out of the way, but her panicked expression told Lucario everything he needed to know. Acting swiftly, he kicked the small canister away from them as it suddenly exploded in midair. Burning pieces of wood scattered all around them, and Lucario was too worried about his bleeding wounds to shield Zerobi properly. Luck was with them as they were left unscathed, except for a single piece of debris which fell down and struck Lucario hard on the top of his head. He groaned painfully and bent over for a second, before looking up again to see the hunter standing still and eyeing him carefully.

The human was not trying to capture them. He was not even genuinely fighting them. He was outright trying to kill them, and was simply using every means available to do so. Lucario looked down at Zerobi, whose eyes were dilating irregularly from the poison coursing through her. Even if he ignored the potentially lethal dose she had been infected by, he realized how close she had come to being gutted and having her face blown off.

The mere thought made Lucario loathe himself for having allowed things get so bad in the first place. Finally, he understood the kind of danger they were dealing with, and saw that defeating the hunter was not going to be as easy as he had hoped. What had been the point of all his training if he refused to put it to use when it was needed the most? What was the point of his continued existence if he was to become the cause for even more misfortune to those that trust him? The faces of Rukario, the small penguin and everyone else he had let down in the past burned clearly in his mind. Swallowing his pride and realizing that he would never be able to live it down, he still knew exactly what had to be done to ensure the safety of his friend.

"Damn it, I didn't want to use this against a fellow human, but you've left me with no other choice!" Lucario yelled at the hunter, who appeared to be unfazed. Focusing on his training and ignoring Zerobi's occasional twitches as to not be distracted, Lucario let the energy in his body flow through his right arm. If he was to be responsible for the death of a human, he knew that at the very least he should make sure that the Aura Sphere that killed him was nothing short of perfect.

Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast