Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: The Human Species (PG-13)

Wow, I always wondered how a human using swords and armor would fare against pokemon, now I know. This hunter must be really strong to wear all that armor without being slowed down a lot by it.

I hope Zerobi is gonna be ok, she is growing on me. Also I hope that the aura sphere destroys this hunter, I think the armor is Steel/Rock/Ice (Aggrons steel/rock and Cloysters Ice) type which would be 6 or 8x supereffective.

Maybe Ethan can steal his swords and keep them for himself.

Also an error, in the sentance wondering how he would hold up, you spelled held as help.

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

Time, there's never enough of it but it's always there to waste.
    -Azurus

Good job.
    Some thing is wrong.
    Zerobi hit something that isn't a bomb.
    I have been meaning to ask you:
    Under zoroark's disguise is deoxys maybe?
    Something is missing about deoxys.
    I just have a hunch that we are not done with deoxys.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

This the aquabats song awesome forces:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx4sL0w3SHM
    and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.
    http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...2#post14945242

Quote Originally Posted by Azurus View Post
    Wow, I always wondered how a human using swords and armor would fare against pokemon, now I know. This hunter must be really strong to wear all that armor without being slowed down a lot by it.
    Yeah. The helmet is from an Aggron while the chestpiece is from a Cloyster, both of which have great defense. The arms are from a Scizor, which has pretty high attack power. The leggings are made from the cloth wrapped around an Accelgor, and the feet are made out of a Floatzel's flippers... Very high speed, indeed! Considering that… I wonder, is he moving too quickly… Or too slowly…?

Quote Originally Posted by Rotomknight View Post
    I have been meaning to ask you:
    Under zoroark's disguise is deoxys maybe?
    Something is missing about deoxys.
    I just have a hunch that we are not done with deoxys.
    Zoroark wouldn't have had so much trouble fighting Entei with that kind of power! As for Deoxys, had even a molecule of him been left behind he would've just regenerated and killed everyone, so he's completely dead and won't be coming back.

That's not to say that we're done with him, of course. He did kind of pop up out of nowhere... Who's to say there aren't more things out there to be afraid of...?
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    Year 4-7: Forever Legendary [img]http://i52.*******.com/16a5hc2.png[/img]
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Year 10: The Human Species [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/34zypdx.png[/IMG]
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Will we get any story on the hunter.
    Is he just filler with emontional value.
    They say if you press cntrl and W you get to see the programming of a website after making a signature with 3 ws and 8qs
    Fanfics I like that are still in production: Author's Run, Pokémon emerald the better version

and here is their song shark fighter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3wchrctxFo

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

Also, was Lucario supposed to say sworn'ds? or was it supposed to be swords?

Credit to Brutaka for the amazing banner and user bar. Yeah, having 2 is redundant, but it shows you guys my favorite pokemon, what story I had planned and my position in the WoJ.

-Azurus

Quote Originally Posted by Rotomknight View Post
    Will we get any story on the hunter.
    Is he just filler with emontional value.
    One thing I can guarantee is that nothing in this story is filler, because I'm WAY too lazy to spend my time writing something that isn't absolutely vital for the plot. Can't give away anything more, keep reading and you'll eventually find out!

Also, was Lucario supposed to say sworn'ds? or was it supposed to be swords?
    Nah, sworn'ds. Give this chapter another whirl:

http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...1#post11997001
    Year 1-3: Occult Magazine, Evolution's Gate [img]http://i55.*******.com/kvo8z.png[/img]
    The Eeveelution cult called Evolution's Gate was disbanded after the bizarre deaths of 47 of its members. This is a story where one must question where the line between fantasy and reality is drawn...
    A brash Pikachu hunts down Legendary Pokémon in the hopes of becoming one himself.
    Humanity has gotten fed up with their fragile position in the world of Pokémon. The best of trainers will subdue or dispose of every powerful Pokémon in existence. However, which side of the conflict will you end up on if you are neither human nor Pokémon...?

Bad End II

'Negligence'

"And so… We are back where we started…" Lugia muttered disappointingly. The legendaries had assembled deep underneath one of the Seafoam Islands to discuss the current situation of the world. They were all in agreement over preventing the potential war between humans and Pokémon, but the unexpected news of Zoroark's revolution had put a stop to their planning.

"This will not do," Moltres said with a sigh, "We need to take care of No Man's Land as quickly as possible. Any ideas on how?"

"Well… We are legends, after all," Celebi chimed in while remembering the legendary trio's star-struck expressions when first meeting her, "There is a possibility that they will halt their aggressions if we simply ask them."

"Indeed," Lugia said with a gentle smile caressing his face, "Perhaps it would be best for us to send an emissary?"

Mew nodded in agreement, as those present suddenly started looking at Zapdos. She was the fastest being alive, and would be perfect for such an assignment. She yawned in response, and suddenly exploded into a ray of red light.

Where the magnificent avian had once stood was now nothing but a tiny sphere dressed in yellow and white. It wobbled a little from side to side as everyone stared at it in shock, before giving off something akin to a sigh and ceasing its movement.

"A Pokéball!?" Celebi burst out, all too familiar with the process Zapdos was currently going through.

"They have found us!" Mew shouted while looking around with a panicked expression, "Everyone, flee! Azelf, you must-"

Mew could not finish her sentence as she too turned red before being drawn into a pink Pokéball. A loud rumble was heard throughout the cavern as Lugia extended his wings in rage.

"Cretin!" Lugia howled madly, "You shall n-"

More than that he did not have time to say, as he himself transformed into a bright red light and disappeared within a cyan Pokéball. Another trainer had snuck up from behind and captured him, and suddenly the legendaries realized the inner sanctum was crawling with humans. Uxie's presence had erased their aura and let them go in unnoticed as legendaries all over the cave began falling victim to their specially designed Pokéballs. Many fought back valiantly, but were eventually taken by surprise and found themselves trapped within a customized Pokéball.

That day, every Pokémon within the secret hideout beneath the Seafoam Islands was captured except for a Lucario and a Weavile, both of which were able to escape by unknown means. The two were later seen mounting a rescue effort to free the legendary Mew, a reckless and daring assault during which all three of them were killed. The legendary Celebi took her own life shortly thereafter, forcing the caretakers of the legendaries to keep those remaining under harsher restraints lest they try anything similar.

With the legendaries under the control of humanity, the budding revolution of No Man's Land lost its morale and was easily destroyed. Their leader Zoroark was assassinated in a manner that left little remains, and to this day scientists wonder what species of Pokémon he truly was. The rest of the world's powerful Pokémon were subdued, and many laws regarding the humanitarian treatment of Pokémon were lifted as to not give them the opportunity to rebel again. For all intents and purposes, the war had ended before it had even begun.

Through experiments and research, the astounding biology of the legendaries amazed scientists all over the world. In only a few months, humanity was able to advance their current technology by almost a century. This success was unprecedented, and with man's natural greed it only left them hungering for more. Utilizing a newly developed manner of interrogation upon the infants Mesprit and Azelf (Uxie was unable to sustain himself in captivity and expired shortly after) proved very effective, and they were able to discern the location of some of the remaining legendaries. Using similar ambushes, they managed to capture Giratina, Dialga and Palika.

After that, all the legendaries mysteriously disappeared. One by one they were taken from their current masters, after which they were never heard of again. However, people paid little mind to this. With their technology flourishing, humanity reigned supreme and began to surrender their reliance upon Pokémon altogether.

The sings of what was to come were weak at first. With the loss of the legendary bird trio, the first generation of the world without legendaries saw nothing but a heavy reduction of storms all over Earth, making people miss the trio even less. The loss of Mew seemed to have no effect at all; no one realizing that had she been alive there might still have been hope for the future of the world. It was not until the next generation that people began to notice that something was wrong.

With the loss of Celebi, the second generation was met with increasingly bad crops. The loss of Lugia caused a widespread drought which only served to make matters worse, eventually leading to worldwide starvation. Unable to rely on food from berries and fruit, Pokémon were forced to devour each other for sustenance, creating devastation and mistrust in their already loosely held society. Humanity fell into line not long after, using Pokémon as a source of food instead of friendship. Slowly, the practice of training Pokémon disappeared, and means to murder them through weaponry became more common.

As the third generation came along, the mighty legendaries Groudon and Kyogre rose from the bowels of the earth, resuming their unending battle. Their fight brought about extremely harsh climates and storms that razed the world, turning large sections of it uninhabitable. With the legendaries gone and humanity unable to command Pokémon, there was no one left to oppose them. Approximately 90% of the population were unfit to handle these new conditions and perished, leaving only the strong to constantly fight each other for food and shelter.

With the loss of Dialga, Palika and Giratina, the fourth generation saw gravitational and dimensional anomalies springing up all over the world, wreaking havoc upon the already desolate wastelands. Survivors over the globe are reduced to mere thousands, and few even remember that times were once different. Day to day survival is the only truth known by the inhabitants of this era, constantly falling prey to their hateful world and each other.

At the start of the fifth generation, all life upon the Earth has been eradicated as storms unlike anything seen before tore it asunder. Once more Earth joins its brethren in the solar system as a dead rock, floating around in space and being completely uninhabitable by any form of life.

BAD END

Why would you do that!

Heh, good to know why the legendaries must succeed, and it seems space travel never occurred to them either.

Is this just a filler story, or are we going to have to wait longer for the actual story to continue?

Keep em coming either way, I always look forward to more.

-Azurus

What about Arceus? Couldnt he/she/it have made more legendaries? You could get a Palkia/Dialga/Giratena egg in an event involving Arceus in the Heartgold and Soulsilver remakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflesbaby View Post
    What about Arceus? Couldnt he/she/it have made more legendaries? You could get a Palkia/Dialga/Giratena egg in an event involving Arceus in the Heartgold and Soulsilver remakes.
    Arceus wouldn't even know what was happening. You'll have to ask Ethan as to why that is, too bad he doesn't remember...

Why would you do that!
    Hmm... I write BAD ENDs so you get to see some of the possible outcomes of this story. I want to show that the future is not predetermined, that actions and events are what shapes it instead of some fate written in stone. Also, it gives a tinge of fragility to everything, just like with real life. Just think about how close the world came to an end... Arceus won't swoop in and deus ex machina in the last minute, a ruined world will forever remain so... And who's to say that won't be preferable compared to what happens now that it didn't! Remember, this BAD END was worse than the last one!

Besides, I thought actually detailing the end of the world would have greater impact than someone going "Don't catch 'em all, or we're screwed!" You readers would just go "Yeah right, like that's really gonna happen..."

Anyway, the BAD ENDs are accurate as well, so you know things you wouldn't otherwise. Celebi DOES have the power to end the world (although she doesn't know it), catching too many legendaries WOULD advance humanity's technology immensely and if not for berries, Pokemon would totally be eating each other.

You know that kinda makes sence. Arceus didnt help when Deoxys appeared, why would he help now? Maybe he just got bored and created Deoxys just to see what would happen.

Chapter 51

Raging Monster Hunter

As the aura coursed through Lucario, so did a great deal of hesitation. He could scarcely believe that was about the end of the life of a human, a person that could so very easily have been him as his past self. Imagining what it would be like to walk around one day before getting blown to bits by a random monster, Lucario scoffed as he realized that it was not so far off from what he had been forced to experience ever since turning into a Pokémon. Was he really going to inflict the same fate upon someone else? Had he somehow become what he had always hated?

He knew that escaping was always a viable option. Having once been able to outrun the legendary Suicune, there was no way the hunter could keep up with him. However, since carrying Zerobi with as many bleeding cuts as he had meant getting a much deeper one straight through his throat a few meters down the road, he knew that his only choice would be to abandon her. To kill a human and save a Pokémon, or run away to abandon the Pokémon while sparing the human... The answer to the dilemma grew hazier the more he thought about it.

Suddenly, Lucario shook his head, surprised at the stupidity of his own thoughts. There was no relation between his past self and the hunter, the damn guy had attacked them and was unwilling to back down. Meanwhile, the Pokémon in question was his best friend, and the human was just some random bastard who the world would be far better off without. A determined smile formed around Lucario's lips, his previous hesitation clearing up from his mind.

"Hope you're prepared…" Lucario mumbled as he held his arm in front of him, forming a straight line between him and the hunter, who suddenly got into a more ready stance.

"AURA SPHERE!" Lucario shouted, suddenly letting the aura flow out of his arm as a great sphere launched itself from the palm of his hand and flew towards the hunter. It was nearly as big as Lucario's head, and rushed forward faster than the eye could follow. Before he could even blink, it was over.

The hunter fell to the side, landing flatly on his stomach while covering the back of his head with his hands. He laid there for a while before realizing that the danger had passed, after which he rose to his feet again while breathing almost as heavily as his enemy.

"I-Impossible…" Lucario stammered in between breaths while in utter shock, "That's… That's impossible! How the hell did he dodge that!?"

"Don't…" a weak croak came from the collapsed body of Zerobi, the combination of an Aura Sphere and poison make her feel far more nostalgic than she wanted to, "Don't… Telegraph… Your… Attack… Idiot…"

"It's not supposed to…" Lucario continued before silencing himself due to heavily conflicting emotions. Hearing Zerobi speak made him feel relieved that she was still alive, but what she had said made him feel devastated. He cursed under his breath, realizing that he had held out his arm in front of himself before the attack like a complete idiot. It had been like telling his opponent that he was going to use an Aura Sphere while also showing exactly how it was going to travel. The human only had to react to Lucario doing anything out of the ordinary before easily moving anywhere else.

The hunter's breaths were starting to come in normally again. He drank something from a red flask located at his hip before suddenly sheathing his swords by his sides. Reaching behind himself, he detached something that Lucario had up until now thought was a part of his armor. But even in her poisoned state, Zerobi recognized that it was the thing that had deflected her claws earlier. As the object's true nature became clear, she felt strangely fortunate that she was incapacitated.

It was indeed another sword, yet it was much too big to be called a sword. Massive like the man carrying it, thick like the trunk of a tree and rough as an unpolished rock. It was as if someone had sharpened a statue and decided to wield it as a weapon. The hunter looked a bit smaller now that he was holding what Lucario had figured was some kind of back plating of his armor, and he seemed to just barely be able to keep his balance with the humongous beast of a sword held in front of him.

"Haha, what? He's not going to use THAT, is he?" Lucario exclaimed in surprise, trying hard to contain his laughter at the sight of the wobbling human, "What the hell, he can barely even move!"

Smile fading and upper lip stiffening, Lucario could not help but notice the brown stains of rust and many nicks across the outer edges of the weapon, reminding him not to underestimate the hunter again no matter what. He decided to take advantage of the situation before it disappeared, and rushed towards his enemy.

The hunter suddenly lifted the greatsword and kept it resting at his shoulder, waiting to strike. Lucario wondered who would ever be dumb enough to rush straight into it and ran around the hunter to hit him from behind. The human tried to spin around, but was too sluggish with the heavy sword held high into the air. Lucario saw his chance and moved in to kick the hunter straight in the back.

Before he knew it, the hunter was suddenly facing him, and more urgently he noticed the massive sword coming down upon him from above. The human had twisted himself around with a strangely fluent motion, similar to those he had used with the dual swords earlier. As luck would have it, this larger sword was nowhere near as fast as those, and Lucario quickly sidestepped the swing to let it hit the ground.

The earth shook as shrapnel of rocks diffused in every direction from the impact zone, the sword digging itself through solid ground like it was sour milk. Lucario lost his balance from the quake but still managed to get away through sheer willpower, scrambling away like a frightened bug as the hunter pulled out his sword from the ground.

"WHOOOOOAAA!" Lucario yelled as he almost fell over in terror, "Wh-Where'd that strength come from!?

He did not have time to think about what had just happened, the human suddenly attaching his sword to his back again. Then, he ran towards Lucario, and all in one motion removed the sword and tried to cut Lucario vertically this time. Lucario ducked and managed to avoid the swing, but the wind alone whooshing past him was nearly enough to knock him off his feet. A strong chill ran through Lucario as he immediately turned around and started running.

He might die. With a sword strong enough to rend the earth, he knew he was literally a stumble or a slow reaction away from certain death. Once upon a time a battle with his life on stake had seemed as natural to him as eating berries; He hated it thoroughly, but it was something he needed to do it in order to survive. Months of traveling with the almighty Mew had given him a sense of security, one that he had come to enjoy and even rely on.

But as he ran, he saw Zerobi lying paralyzed on the ground in front of him. He had completely forgotten about her, and stopped himself as to not make the same mistake with her as he had with the small penguin, a mistake that still managed to fill him with guilt and remorse.

As he saw the hunter drawing nearer, the past few months suddenly felt like a fleeting dream. Here he was again, fighting for his life just to survive another day. Exerting himself… Fearing everyone… And once more, he was completely alone.

"… Hey, you think I'm going to shy away just because you might cleave me in half!?" Lucario shouted defiantly as he fastened himself on the ground, "I've fought for my life before, and at least this time my death will be quick and painless if I fail! Hell, I'm grateful, really!"

The hunter ignored him and continued running towards them. However, Lucario suddenly started running towards him in return.

"But when you're trying to kill someone, you'd better watch out…" Lucario growled between gritted teeth while increasing his speed, "… They just might kill you instead!"

The hunter immediately halted when he saw Lucario's approach, and held up the flat side of the greatsword in front of him. Lucario's tackle connected with it, forcing the hunter stumbling backwards from the impact. Twisting the sword around in midair, the hunter used its velocity to deliver a quick swing towards Lucario, who instantly crouched down and threw his leg out in a sweeping motion. Losing his balance, the human was dragged by his heavy weapon and he tumbled to the side and hit the ground.

Wanting payback for what his opponent had tried to do to Zerobi, Lucario saw his chance and prepared a dropkick against the defenseless hunter. His leg came down hard, aimed directly at the human's head with enough force to easily snap his neck. In the very last second before impact, the hunter suddenly moved his head as he got to his knees, brandishing his two smaller swords from earlier. Lucario aborted his finishing blow and tried to dodge as the hunter suddenly thrust his two swords down towards his unused leg, and Lucario braced himself for the stabbing sensation that he knew was to follow.

However, there was no pain. Lucario looked down and saw that the two swords had been lodged into the ground around his foot, some kind of net dangling between them and covering his leg. When he looked back, the human had already gotten to his knees and was swinging the gigantic sword towards him. Lucario tried jumping back like before to dodge it, but tripped as he felt his leg tangled up in the net. Lacking a proper foothold, he did not even have time to realize what was happening before it was too late.

The massive sword struck against his right arm, plowing through it like an avalanche as it continued on and hit him in the side. Pain shooting through him, Lucario screamed as he was tossed away like a ragdoll by the strong impact. The hard ground felt like landing on a sea of soft pillows in comparison.

Expecting himself to be dead or at least a limb short, Lucario was surprised to notice that despite the great pain and a fairly large cut, his arm was still fully functional. Lucario realized that the hunter had not been able to put his full force behind the attack as he had standing on his knees, but judging from the damage he had just taken there was no longer any doubt in his mind. One good hit would be all that's necessary for him to be utterly destroyed. Again he marveled over how close he had come to actually dying, and imagined what a pathetic end to his life it would have been. Slain by a guy with a big sword, all while not even trying his best.

Gritting his teeth even harder this time, Lucario scorned. He had already used up the debut of the Aura Sphere he had worked so long to master, wasting his absolutely final trump card in a random encounter like this was unthinkable. Even so, he knew that death was even less preferable and decided to finish the battle once and for all.

"… Look closely, Zerobi…" Lucario muttered as he stood up, looking back at Zerobi to see if she was functional enough to give a response, "The time has come for me to use my ultimate skill… I was hoping to save this for a little longer, but better to be safe than sorry."

"It… Already… Missed…" Zerobi groaned painfully, somehow keeping a snarky tone to her voice despite being close to fainting.

"What I'm talking about is nothing like the Aura Sphere, or even the Aura Storm," Lucario said, hastily adding the last part as he realized he'd rather be using the Aura Storm had he learned how to, "I'm talking about the secret technique I developed in order to combat and defeat all the unreasonably powerful monsters in this world that want my behind."

Lucario hesitated, suddenly aware that even though the human had yet to say anything, he could still be able to understand the speech of Pokémon and might be preparing to dodge like before. A bitter smile crossed Lucario's face at the thought. With this technique, it would not make a difference even if he tried.

"It's strong; I believe it could even defeat someone like Mew before she could even blink…" Lucario continued undauntedly, "… And without a doubt, it will blow this idiot away even faster than that! Behold!"

With expectations soaring, Lucario took control over the aura in his body again, this time leading it along a different route through his body. It flowed calmly at first, but began to rage as it passed through unfamiliar territory, Lucario cursing himself for not having practiced more. Focusing with all his might, he forced the mitochondrion to continue towards their destination.

And then, things were no longer as calm as they had once been. A particularly large seepage of aura set off a chain reaction which instantly made Lucario's entire lower body explode into a ball of blue flames. Screaming loudly as the familiar pain spread through him and tore up his every nerve, Lucario crouched down and hunched over while shaking violently in agony.

"Not… Surprised…" Zerobi whispered with a sigh, Lucario's all too familiar display of self-inflicted pain making her feel a bit nostalgic.

"OWOWOW!" Lucario wailed as he bent over and clutched his right leg, "I SCREWED UP! RUN!"

"… Damn… You…" Zerobi wheezed as she made one last attempt to stand up. Not only did she find herself unable to move even a single inch, but she found her own eyelids growing heavier as she finally succumbed to the poison and fell into darkness.

"Argh!" Lucario growled menacingly while carefully caressing his sore legs, the most intensive pain beginning to subside but leaving a powerful ache in its wake. The damage told him that there would be no second attempts at using either the Aura Sphere or his trump card, and he shuddered at the thought of continuing the regular battle.

Suddenly, Lucario began to wonder why the human had not yet exploited his state of weakness like he had with Zerobi. Looking up, he noticed that the hunter was lying down on the ground, completely immobile. Confusion coursed through him as he for a moment thought his ultimate attack had somehow worked despite failing so spectacularly. The sun's glare was still strong despite having almost completely vanished behind the horizon, and it took him a few moments to see that there was something moving beside the fallen human. Something much bigger.

His overuse of the aura had left its sensory functions weakened, so he had not noticed anyone approaching and could still not feel anything from the new arrival. It was not until his eyes had completely adjusted to the sun that he began to make sense out of what it was. The sight shocked him even more than the hunter's sudden defeat.

"… I-Ivy…?" Lucario stammered with a surprised gasp. Standing next to his fallen foe with two vines outstretched was the first Pokémon he had ever befriended.

Her form was different, however. The flower he remembered sitting firmly on her back had moved itself to surround her neck, which in itself was many times longer than he recalled. Two large antennae protruded from her forehead, and her eyes were gleaming yellow unlike the deep red he had thought about so often. Lucario had heard a lot of talk about Pokémon evolving, but had not expected such a radical change. There was a nagging feeling at the back of his head that told him that despite the similar appearance, this was an entirely different Pokémon. While there was definitively something very familiar about the big flower, it felt even more intimate than what he had experienced with Ivy.

"Are you all right?" she asked with a gentle voice, one that was actually quite different from Ivy's, "Can you hear me?"

"… Yeah. Yeah, I'm just…" Lucario mumbled, withholding his questions in order to not make a jerk out of himself like usual. Had it really been Ivy she would have said so or at least tried to kill him instead of asking how he's doing. The green Pokémon looked at him as he slowly rose to his feet, and as he got up he saw her pick up the hunter with one of her vines.

"Hey, be careful!" Lucario exclaimed with a worried tone to his voice, "He's strong, dangerous and-"

"Asleep," the big flower interrupted him as it smiled warmly, "Humans are quite susceptible to my special brand of Sleep Powder, but… Has it somehow affected your companion, as well?"

"… Zerobi!" Lucario suddenly exclaimed, turning around to see his incapacitated friend lying where he had left her. He ran to check her pulse, realizing that his knowledge regarding Weavile anatomy was severely lacking as he could not find even a single vein around her metallic wrist. Holding his hand in front of her mouth and looking closely at her upper body, he saw her chest rise a fall at a slow pace while feeling a slightly cold draft run through his fingers. He was relieved that she was still breathing, but her sleeping expression looked so tortured and painful that he could not find it in himself to rejoice.

"Ah, damn… That guy poisoned her, and she's completely out of it…" Lucario said out loud before leaning in closer and whispering in Zerobi's ear, "… I'm sorry…"

"Hmm… Never underestimate poison," the big flower replied as she seemed to drift off into an old memory for a moment, "I was actually on my way towards a place where she can be healed. I could carry her, if necessary."

"You'd do that!?" Lucario shouted in surprise as he snapped his head up and put his hands together, "Please! I'll be in your debt!"

"Oh, think nothing of it…" she replied peacefully, moving away from the hunter and carefully picking up Zerobi with two vines.

"Careful, don't let any blood get on her, she hates that…" Lucario warned as he moved away from them while trying to brush off some of his own blood, only succeeding in smearing it around more across his body. He sighed as the big flower placed Zerobi on her back and started walking towards the sunset, beckoning Lucario to follow.

"… Wait…" Lucario muttered with a hint of suspicion, still paranoid over his treatment by the legendaries, "… Did you really just happen to stumble upon us? Out here, right in the middle of nowhere?"

"… No. I scented blood and fear from a little further away and thought to see what had happened," she explained before noticing Lucario's confused expression and smiling warmly, "These antennae aren't just for show."

"Right…" Lucario said, ready to pull Zerobi away from the big flower should she try anything. Still, he could not shake the feeling that he had met this Pokémon before, but no matter how hard he tried to remember where it would only come up blank.

"Hey… I'm kind of new around these parts, so if you don't mind me asking…" Lucario said while cleverly disguising his real question, "… What kind of Pokémon are you?"

"Me?" the big flower responded as her expression brightened, "I am a-"

-.- status ailments man, whaddyagonnado

Anyway, that is a fairly interesting resolution to a combat, too bad Lucario wasn't able to do it himself tho. If Zerobi wasn't so badly hurt I'd reccommend taking all the hunters stuff and destroying it.

You know, I swear it's just me and few others that read this because I don't see any unique posters anywhere. Oh well, I appreciate this story and I always want to find out what happens next.

-Azurus

Who's that Pokemon? Iiiiiit's Chica!

But seriously Lucario, confusing a maganium with an ivysaur? I know your bad with pokemon but couldnt you tell they are different species!? They look nothing alike!

THanks I coudSn't tell.
    Shhh.

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

-.- status ailments man, whaddyagonnado
    Pecha Berries? Yuck, talk about the cure being worse than the disease...

Quote Originally Posted by Trufflesbaby View Post
    But seriously Lucario, confusing a maganium with an ivysaur? I know your bad with pokemon but couldnt you tell they are different species!? They look nothing alike!
    I know, but you'd be surprised how many people see two flowers and call them both "flowers" despite clearly being two completely different species of flora. Botanists disapprove!

Quote Originally Posted by ShadedSkies View Post

I know, but you'd be surprised how many people see two flowers and call them both "flowers" despite clearly being two completely different species of flora. Botanists disapprove!
    I see your point.

Chapter 52

Grassy Starter Meganium

Ethan was thoroughly enjoying himself. Leaning his head back against a pillow, he wondered how something so simple could feel so great. What was the point of dreams and ambitions? He already had everything he could ever want. A soft bed stuffed with feathers, carrying a permanent indent of his body. A window through which the sun could peek in, eager to share her warm and beautiful light with him. A fragrance, something like a summer's breeze carrying a wide assortment of trees and flowers with it. The familiarity of it all made him sigh in relief. This was his room, and at long last, he had returned home.

"Good morning," a tender voice echoed from somewhere, as everything around him suddenly melted. Half expecting to see his mother when opening his eyes, Lucario was instead greeted by the Meganium that had been nice enough to let him stay in her house. The feathery contents of the bed had transformed into a stack of hay, still soft but rather itchy and prickly. The walls were made out of rammed earth and the window was now just a hole, installed as if mocking the skies to dare cause rain and fill the entire room with water.

Only one thing remained unchanged. The fragrance.

"Your friend seems to be doing better," the Meganium continued with a smile as Lucario sat up hastily.

"Good…" Lucario responded while feeling a great weight lift from his heart, "It's only been, what, three days?"

"The poison was apparently very persistent," the Meganium explained, remembering how carefully the Weavile had to be treated as to not let it affect anyone else, "Something you would only find in the worst Toxic a Muk could possibly produce."

"Really? Hadn't noticed," Lucario replied sourly, scratching the cuts on his arm and feeling grateful for his own immunity. After that, the drowsiness left behind from his fleeting dream instantly disappeared as his mood lightened at the news of Zerobi's recovery. He leaped to his feet and stretched his sore legs.

"Hey, thanks again for helping us out," Lucario said while casually patting one of the Meganium's petals, "Don't know what might've happened if you hadn't come along!"

"Well, SOMEONE had to come save that poor human!" the Meganium responded sarcastically as the flower around her neck twitched slightly, "I doubt he could have lasted another second against you!"

"Uh, yeah…" Lucario mumbled quietly while scratching the back of his head in embarrassment. He knew he had screwed up at the end, but was surprised and happy to get at least some acknowledgement for his effort.

The two of them became silent as they could hear a light pitter-patter coming from outside. Suddenly, a tiny Pokémon came running in through the door, completely out of breath but still quite energetic. It looked like a smaller version of the Meganium, the flower still just budding out of its neck and a great leaf sticking out of its forehead.

"Mom!" it shouted, frustration apparent.

"Yes, dear?" the Meganium asked while bending her head down to nuzzle against her child. However, it pulled itself away from her and showed an aggravated expression.

"No, mom, this is serious!" the small flower continued while shaking its head violently, "We're playing explorers, and Meowth took our flag again! It's not fair!"

"You need to protect your flag, sweetie," the Meganium said reassuringly before lowering her head while whispering as if telling a big secret, "You already know he will try to steal it, right? This time, stand near it and pretend not to see anything, until he's only focusing on the flag… Then, you leap up and stop him!"

The small flower looked up at her with a strangely bewildered face. Then, it turned around and immediately ran outside again.

"I'm in, best out of nine!" they heard it shouting eagerly as the voice grew weaker the further away it got, "You're goin' down!"

"Nice kid," Lucario said, smiling as he saw the pear-shaped Pokémon moving a little too excitedly and accidentally stumbling over its own legs.

"One of many," the Meganium said as she gave off a prideful nod, "My oldest has already defeated the Elite Four. He will be home soon, stay a few days and you'll meet him!"

"Hmm… Sorry, but we're on an important mission," Lucario muttered, thinking about returning in case they were unable to find Mew or get anything accomplished in No Man's Land, "Just being here is costing us precious time, but… Hey, sure beats dying."

"In that case, times of reprieve must be rare," the Meganium said with a meaningful tone to her voice, "Enjoy these moments while you can, they are what you'll come to cherish as you grow older."

Nodding solemnly while remembering the homely sensation he had felt earlier, a completely different feeling suddenly hit Lucario as a deep growl emanated from his belly.

"About time, I haven't seen you eat anything since you got here," the Meganium chuckled as Lucario clutched his empty stomach, "We have a lot of food in stock, feel free to have some."

"Let me guess - Berries?" Lucario asked sarcastically.

"Well, yes," the Meganium responded with a confused expression, "Were you expecting something different?"

"I'd be lying if I said I was," Lucario muttered sadly, contemplating using whatever rough surface he could find to grind off the taste buds from his tongue and lessen the misery that was to come, "… Fine. I'm hungry. Let's eat."

Lucario followed the Meganium out of the small hut and then went in through another entrance. He figured this to be some manner of pantry, berries and bottles of berry juice neatly assorted in various piles. Each new sight brought him distaste, like he was walking through a gallery of gore and mayhem. He looked around to try and pick out whatever looked the least horrible, when in the corner opposite to where the Meganium was heading he saw the absolutely last thing he had expected to see in there.

"… But… That's…" Lucario stammered in shock, his breaths coming short and his heart beating rapidly, "… It cannot be…!"

"What?" the Meganium asked, turning around to see Lucario's stunned expression. In the corner where he was staring laid a tiny sack, its small white contents poured out slightly across the ground. Right next to it stood an even smaller canister, marks of yellowish orange powder strewn across the edges.

"Oh, don't let that rice and curry spoil your appetite," the Meganium said while nonchalantly waving one of her vines around, "It's just that I've personally developed a taste for human cuisine over the years. Want to try some, just for fun?"

"I love you," Lucario whispered quietly, a single tear rolling down his cheek where it blended in with the waterfall of saliva pouring out of his mouth. Time halted itself in expectation of what Lucario knew was to be the greatest moment of his life as a Pokémon. Before he even knew it he was sitting down and eating, his hands digging wildly into a lovingly prepared meal of rice and curry.

The exquisite flavor brought life to the mistreated sandpaper he had once referred to as his tongue. Pure euphoria coursed through his body with every swallow, each bite gently caressing inner organs he didn't even remember having. It was as if he had been crawling through the sandy dunes with a parched throat for years, before finally tripping headfirst into the waters of an oasis. Then, he had spent the rest of his life beneath the surface, hating himself for having to come up for air every now and then, and dreaming of the possibilities of replacing the blood in his veins with the water around him… And even if he were to drain the entire oasis of every single drop of water, it would still not be enough!

"Haha! Either this type of food isn't new to you…" the Meganium laughed at Lucario's gluttonous display coupled with his enlightened expression, "… Or you became accustomed to the taste even faster than I did! It's good, isn't it?"

"… Well, yes! But…" Lucario said loudly, interrupting himself as he saw it necessary to grab another bite before continuing, "… There're so many other great meals that humans eat, even better than this! Like… Pasta! Spaghetti with marinara, tons of spices and side-dishes!"

"Oh, that's funny! I knew someone who used to eat that every day!" the Meganium continued laughing, a mild sneer suddenly appearing on her face, "Couldn't stand the stuff, personally… But he constantly insisted on giving me some!"

"Of course!" Lucario grinned as he swallowed down another bite, "I mean, after cooking a meal like that, how could you not want to share it? Good food's not something you experience alone!"

"My thoughts exactly, which is why I always ate it!" the Meganium said while nodding in agreement, "And when it was time for rice and curry, he always did the same for me… I remember now, he used to look so disappointed!"

"Didn't know what he was missing," Lucario responded as he held his empty plate in front of him, "Of course, to a guy customary to spaghetti… Can't really blame him! Anyway, more! Lots and lots more!"

They continued talking as they shared the meal, Lucario eating way past the point of bursting and only stopping when he realized that there were no reserves left. The Meganium sighed and muttered something about having just gotten home and needing to go to the store again. Lucario apologized profusely, despite her insisting that it was worth it to finally meet someone with the same taste as her.

After a few minutes of digesting, they went to another house to see Zerobi, this one also made out of rammed earth. Lucario wondered if all the dirt kept things sanitary enough to call it a hospital, only somewhat recognizing that the same could be said for the food storage he had just looted. He walked through the door and saw his friend sitting upright in a bed, seeing her awake for the first time since the perilous battle.

"Hey, Zerobi!" Lucario exclaimed as he stared at a slowly healing cut right across her forehead, "You look… Great."

"You too," Zerobi responded sarcastically, pointing at a particularly large gash on Lucario's arm before suddenly recoiling away from him "… Ugh, what's that stench on your breath!?"

"Genuine food," Lucario said mockingly as he leaned in closer, opening his mouth wider as he spoke, "Aahh'd let youhh haaaave soooome, buuut weeee're cooooompleeeeetely oooout."

"Good. I'm already poisoned enough as it is…" Zerobi muttered, moving to the far edge of the bed as to avoid the hideous smell. Lucario started laughing as the Meganium gave Zerobi a sympathetic look. Zerobi returned it and calmed herself; there was something she had been aching to know.

"… What happened?" Zerobi asked as she stared down into the bed, "That human… He poisoned me, and everything after that's just like a feverish nightmare where Lucario was an idiot who did stupid things."

"Uh… Yeah. What a strange dream," Lucario replied while uncomfortably scratching the back of his head, "At any rate, this awesome flower here made him fall asleep and saved us, so everything worked out fine!"

"Yeah, we've already met, thanks again," Zerobi said while nodding towards the Meganium before staring eagerly at Lucario, "But… Wait, you got him to sleep, and then what?"

"… Uh, we went here?" Lucario answered, not sure of what she was getting at.

"You… You just left him there!?" Zerobi shouted as she clutched the sheets with an angry expression, "That psycho tried to kill us! He'll do the same to someone else if we… If we don't…"

Zerobi suddenly became quiet, realizing what she was saying. Parroting the words of others, she remembered that she had been on the other end of things with Snivy and Umk, both of them agreeing that she was too dangerous to be kept alive. It put her stomach in a twist, the understanding that she had been as monstrous as the hunter combined with the awareness that even she would not have forgiven someone responsible for what she had done, had it been someone else.

"Defeat has the potential of teaching even the strongest warrior humility," the Meganium suddenly said, "We might never see him again… Or the next time, he might even be our ally."

Again drawing parallels to herself, Zerobi recognized that she was currently trying her best to do good, but despite her efforts she was always just one splash of blood away from killing again. The thought made her wonder if perhaps she would come to regret surviving being poisoned this time as well…

"I'm not so sure I agree with that…" Lucario muttered before shrugging, "… But it's a good excuse for not having to kill anyone, and a good outlook on life too, I guess."

"Thank you," the Meganium responded as she lowered her head, "… It's something an old friend of mine used to say. It took me a while to understand what he meant, as well."

"I mean, someone attacks you, you somehow manage to win and then they just go looking for revenge!" Lucario exclaimed while thinking about Suicune and holding his arms in front of him, "It's like, no! I already won, what else can I do to get you to stop following me!?"

"Oh, don't remind me! I've just finally managed to get all my self-proclaimed 'rivals' to stop bothering me!" the Meganium laughed in return before bringing herself down to a regular smile, "And as it turns out… Even rivals can make for rather nice friends."

Zerobi watched the two of them talking back and forth, surprised to see how much they appeared to have in common. It made her temporarily forget about her inner turmoil, but the sight of Lucario suddenly holding his arms out brought more pressing thoughts to mind.

"Mooooooom!" a voice suddenly yelled from outside.

"… I suppose I should leave you two in private…" the Meganium said calmly before turning around and running outside, "Coming!"

The two of them watched her leave as things became quiet, and Zerobi realized this was her chance. She knew it would not be a fun conversation, but definitively a necessary one. They had both suffered enough.

"Lucario…" she whispered quietly.

"My breath isn't that bad, is it?" Lucario chimed happily, still jacked up form is previous conversation, "Because if you think I'm ever washing the taste out of my mouth-"

"If you use another one of your 'secret techniques' or 'ultimate attacks' again, I swear…" Zerobi said with a menacing voice before jutting a sharp finger in his direction, "… I will never, ever forgive you."

"Huh? But…" Lucario stammered as he realized this was serious, "… Sure, they're kind of risky and might not work all the time, but practice makes perfect!"

"It's not 'practice' if it results in us dying!" Zerobi shouted accusingly as she grabbed a hold of the sheets again, mostly just ribbons now after clutching them too hard during her previous inner struggle, "Using an untested ability with horrible repercussions in a battle between life and death… Are you insane!?"

"Well…" Lucario muttered, not sure of how to defend himself, "That's what using the Aura Sphere was like, and I eventually learned from tha-"

"No, you learned it from Mew, who could easily protect you even if you were to screw up," Zerobi explained, realizing she needed to be as harsh as possible to get him to understand, "But with me, I'm depending on you as much as you depend on me, and I for one will NOT die because of a stupid mistake like that."

The two of them looked at each other, and Zerobi saw a moment of regret crossing Lucario's expression. She could tell her reasoning was working, but she had no intention of making him permanently hate her and decided to ease up.

"Try learning it outside of battle, or at least when I'm not in danger," Zerobi continued and sighed as she leaned back into the bed, "You can risk your own life if you want to, but don't risk mine."

"… Fine," Lucario said after thinking to himself for a long time, "I'll stick to the basics, and maybe an Aura Sphere or two. I pulled that one off pretty well, right?"

"You held your arm out, a blind person could see it coming a mile-" Zerobi started, but was interrupted by Lucario.

"APART from that!" he shouted while shaking his head, "I'll keep it subtle the next time, I swear!"

"You'd better…" Zerobi sighed again, becoming quiet for a moment before raising her head, "Hey, Lucario…"

"What?" Lucario asked, wondering what else she could berate him for.

"Good fighting," Zerobi said bluntly while giving off a faint smile.

"… Yeah," Lucario replied while returning her smile, "You too."

The next day came along, and Lucario together with Zerobi knew they had to get back on track with their journey. The Meganium showed them the best route towards No Man's Land and went to see them off, somewhat disappointed that would not be staying longer. The two of them said farewell and had a difficult time giving up the alluring hospitality she had offered, especially Lucario who almost brought the empty canister of curry with him just to be able to sniff it.

"You two seemed to get along pretty well," Zerobi said behind a smirk as they walked along the road, seeing their temporary home grow smaller behind them.

"Well, you know what they say, right?" Lucario replied while grinning broadly, "The way to a man's heart is through his desolate and tortured stomach!"

"… Really?" Zerobi asked, suddenly gaining a very interested expression.

"… Well, apart from that, she just happened to be a great person, too," Lucario admitted as he closed his eyes, "I guess… It's for people like her that we're fighting to stop the war. Hmm, you think that's enough pay for the food and lodging?"

He started wondering if maybe he could start charging everyone for his good deeds to buy genuine food, when suddenly a terrible thought hit him and his eyes shot open.

"… Damn!" Lucario exclaimed while slapping his forehead, "All that time, and I didn't even catch her name! I can't keep calling her 'Meganam' or 'big flower' forever!"

"Huh. Even I had the courtesy to ask, and I was dying from poison," Zerobi snickered as she thought back with a curious expression, "… It was a little strange, but hey, what's in a name?"

"What was it?" Lucario asked, eager to know.

"Hmm… How did she pronounce it, again…?" Zerobi continued thinking before putting her hands together in realization, "Oh yeah… I think it was 'Chica'."

Lucario felt as if his brain had ceased to function. Instantly, a thousand memories roared around his mind at once, each more familiar than the last. He was a child, lying on a grassy hill and reading comics. He was an adult, running away from a rampaging Tauros. He was a teenager, sitting on a chair in a Pokécenter while nervously twiddling his thumbs.

But no matter who or where he was, there was always someone beside him. Someone who had supported him all throughout his life, someone so close to him it was like an extension of himself. There was so much love between them; everyone he had met before and after losing his humanity were like complete strangers in comparison. Tears welled up as Lucario could not understand how he had forgotten the most important being in his life, wanting to run back to see her again with his newly awakened mindset.

However, as quickly as the memories had appeared, they vanished. As if absorbed into a black hole, his treasured past with his cherished friend was completely gone before he had even noticed it. His will to see her again disappeared as the only thing on his mind was the journey towards No Man's Land and Mew. Not a single shred was retained of his old companion, and all he had left to remember her by was a strangely nostalgic sensation and a full stomach.

"Chica, huh…?" Lucario whispered as he smiled to himself, "… Good name."

Somehow I think Zerobi didn't say all she wanted to say in that little exchange. Great chapter as usual tho somehow I doubt that hunter will be a friend in the future, also Lucario needs to be more aware of how the people around him feel.
    Chica... past partner for Ethan? Maybe. Anyway Looking forward to more, you never disappoint even tho there wasn't much action here.

That breath scene was hilarious.

-Azurus

Zerobi: What's with he creepy smile.
    Ecario: She was a past partner.

Ahhhh memories.
    Sorry I just wish e would go back now.

I NEED A BETA READER!
    Check out my fic.

Hey, I'm one of those people who never post but lurk all the time. So after looking for good stories to read here, I happened across this one. I just want to say this is one of the best stories I've seen and I can't wait for the next chapter!

Chica... past partner for Ethan? Maybe.
    Definitively. She was his old partner, his first and final Pokemon. Together they traveled for years through nearly insurmountable hardships and managed to conquer both Johto and Kanto... And now, they couldn't even recognize each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Xtreme8899 View Post
    Hey, I'm one of those people who never post but lurk all the time. So after looking for good stories to read here, I happened across this one. I just want to say this is one of the best stories I've seen and I can't wait for the next chapter!
    Cool! Hope you didn't ruin your eyes reading through it at once, with all the copyright infringement in this story I've got enough lawsuits on my tail...

Did you check out the prequels to this story yet? That should tide you over until the next chapter!

Everyone, get ready for a flashback!

Chapter 53

Roaming Legendary Dog

"999.998…" Lucario mumbled to himself, the occupant beneath his cloak making herself known once more. A little more than a month had passed since he had first met with the legendary Mew, and they were currently heading towards the meeting of the legendaries. So far, the journey seemed to drag on forever. Crossing the lands, they had only moved through empty plains at night as to avoid confrontation, leading to very predictable, dark and boring landscape.

"999.999…" Lucario continued, realizing that the scenery was not the only reason he was bored. Whereas Zerobi had been chatty and outgoing, his current companion might as well have been dead for all she ever did. The only time she would say something was to answer him if he had a question, and even then only if they were unable to sense another aura within a mile's radius. With weight comparable to that of an empty matchbox, he wondered if his back was genuinely carrying her or if she was simply floating near it, and he occasionally had to check to make sure she had not just soared away and left him behind.

A far too familiar sensation once more told him otherwise, and it was then he knew he could take no more.

"That's it!" Lucario suddenly shouted, reaching to the back of his cloak and pulling at Mew. She held on to his back and wondered what was happening as Lucario dragged out her long tail and held it in front of him.

"Unintentionally or not, that was your tail's millionth slap against my back," Lucario muttered before starting to growl menacingly, "As a reward… I'm biting it off."

Mew gasped and hastily pulled her tail away from him, letting it easily slip out of his grasp and lay to rest against his shoulder.

"Heheh… Relax, I'm kidding," Lucario chuckled, glad to finally get a reaction out of her, "Man, you're uptight."

He could hear Mew respond, but suddenly felt her starting to crawl around underneath the cloak, moving down his back.

"That reminds me… Your body is of a different structure than most Lucario," Mew said gently, her voice muffled by the cloak around her, "I have been meaning to determine what your weaknesses and resistances are."

"H-Hey…" Lucario stammered as he felt something soft graze past his own tail.

"Your tail will be a perfect target for my experiments," Mew continued with the same serene tone as before, "Which element would you like me to start with?"

Lucario gulped, wondering if she was kidding or not.

"Fire it is, then," Mew said calmly as a very hot sensation began spreading over Lucario's back. This was all it took for him to finally snap and grab onto the cloak, tossing it and Mew to the side while smacking at his back to put out the flames. But as he quickly noticed, the hotness had already disappeared, and the cloak stopped itself before hitting the ground and floated in midair.

"OK, now THAT's not funny!" Lucario yelled angrily at Mew, a light giggle coming from underneath the hovering cloth. Ignoring Mew's current likeness to a cheap ghost costume, Lucario suddenly realized that their cover had been blown and looked around just to make sure no one was there to witness his clothing's odd behavior. A sigh slipped through his lips as he remembered that so far nothing had slipped past Mew's notice, and since she seemed to think it was safe enough to mess around, it probably was.

He was just about to stop searching the area when he noticed something further ahead. Squinting his eyes, he noticed something that looked a little like an oddly colored plant or rock. Suddenly, he saw it moving slightly.

"Quick!" Lucario hissed to Mew, "Hide!"

"Hide from wh…" Mew started, but stopped herself as she peered through the cloak and saw what Lucario had been referring to.

Waiting for Mew to slip onto his back once more, Lucario's eyes were transfixed upon the being that lay ahead. There was something very unusual about it, something he could feel but not quite put his finger on. Little by little, Mew's presence grew fainter as the mystery creature took a more prominent role in his mind. Unlike every type of Pokémon encountered so far, this one Lucario could recognize despite never having run into it before. Instantly forgetting his obligations to the small legendary, he started moving forward as the shape in front grew more and more familiar the closer he got.

"What… The…" Lucario stammered, completely beside himself at what he was seeing, "No way… NO way…"

The creature was lying down on the ground, not sleeping but resting with eyes occasionally fluttering open. It had a reddish fur, becoming whiter the lower down on the body it crept. Its snout and large ears reminded Lucario a lot of his own, and in his opinion the only thing telling their faces apart was a set of whiskers sticking out by the base of the creature's nose. All in all, it was like a less spectacular version of one of the legendary dogs, but Lucario could not stop himself from trembling in amazement at what he was witnessing.

The creature suddenly yawned, making Lucario jump in surprise, his heart beating quickly.

"A… A dog?" he stammered, barely even believing what he was saying, "… In the wild!?"

"Oh my," Mew said with a surprised tone as she came up from behind, "How rare."

"Rare? RARE!?" Lucario shouted before turning towards Mew with eyes wide open, "More like, impossible! To think that there is still a place in this world for genuine animals…!"

"If not in this world, then where?" Mew replied with a smile, amused at how Lucario was giving a dog far more attention than he had ever given her, the most sought-after Pokémon of all time.

"It… Yeah, it must have escaped from a zoo, or something…" Lucario whispered as he swallowed hard before slowly nudging towards it, "Come on, there's got to be a town up ahead. Give me a hand in bringing it back there."

"… What? No!" Mew exclaimed as she flew in front of Lucario, "Leave it alone! If it is in the wild, then we must preserve its freedom!"

"No, we must preserve its life," Lucario said as he carefully pushed her away, remembering what Zerobi had told him when he had asked where all the animals were, "Dogs are much too weak to compete with Pokémon in the wild… What, you didn't know that?"

"Normally that would be the case, but this one seems to have managed just fine!" Mew said as she scanned the dog's body for any abnormal vital signs, "I believe it has found its own way of life… We have no right to take that away!"

"… Gonna have to veto that, Mew," Lucario muttered before immediately halting himself, the dog looking warily in his direction, "Animals are on the brink of extinction, and we need to gather as many as possible so we can conserve-"

A sudden loud bang next to his ear threw Lucario off his feet. As he fell to the ground, he could see the dog getting to its feet in shock, ready to run at a moment's notice. After he hit the ground, he looked up and saw Mew put her hands together, another loud bang sounding.

"Hey, what the hell!?" Lucario shouted before seeing the dog's terrified face and lowering his voice, "You're scaring it away, you idiot!"

"I will not let you entrap an innocent creature, Lucario," Mew explained while giving Lucario a sideway glance of disappointment, "I… I had thought you were better than this."

"Sorry, but I just don't feel like exterminating an entire species today," Lucario growled back menacingly before calming himself down, seeing that he was frightening the dog even more, "… Come on, I promise it'll be happier this way! We'll bring it to a zoo and it'll live like a king, food and drinks every day!"

"It is a free spirit, not some kind of trophy to be put out on display!" Mew shouted, doing the opposite of Lucario and making an effort of raising her voice while throwing an angry glance towards the dog. At the sound and sight of this, the dog finally realized that its luck had run out as it turned around and fled.

"No!" Lucario yelled, harshly pushing Mew to the side once more as he took off after it. The dog was fast, but if there was something Lucario had experience in, it was running. Unless it was planning on going for three days straight without ever slowing down, he knew he would be able to catch up with it in the long run. He had been able to outrun a dog four times its size, after all.

Lucario's plans were put on hold as the ground suddenly disappeared beneath his feet. Touching nothing but air, his legs flailed around for a moment before he looked down and noticed he was hovering in midair. Wondering if he had finally mastered flight, he felt something take a strong hold of his body, preventing him from moving an inch. It seemed somewhat familiar, and a dark atmosphere emanating from behind told him all he needed to know.

"No… Fair…" Lucario gasped as he began to struggle, seeing the dog getting further and further away from them, "Let me go, Mew!"

"So this is how you truly feel, is it!?" Mew screamed in rage as she held up Lucario with her psychic powers, "I suppose you believe that I would be safer if captured and under the control of humanity as well!?"

"That's… That's different! You're competent enough to survive on your own!" Lucario continued as he fought even harder, wondering why he could not break free like he had when put in the same position by the Gallade, "Dogs aren't intelligent, it'll run into a wasteland somewhere and die from dehydration!"

"Removing its freedom for such an unlikely circumstance…" Mew whispered bitterly, seemingly unaffected by Lucario's valiant effort of breaking free, "… You humans truly are complacent to a fault."

"We have to be, I know your kind doesn't care about animals!" Lucario burst out while clenching his fists, getting more and more outraged at how she was treating him, "That's why they're nearly extinct in the first place!"

"My kind? The kind you humans also capture on sight?" Mew shouted back sarcastically while feigning a mean-spirited snicker, "Are you in fact protecting us, too? Then maybe I should just let one of the legendary dogs take good care of you!"

"… Well, there's really no point in arguing any more, is there!?" Lucario growled in defeat, the dog already having disappeared from his view, "Let me go, already!"

A few seconds passed before the invisible grip around Lucario eased up, making him fall to the ground. It had not been as crushing as the attack the Gallade had put him through, but the lasting effects from the argument lingered as he turned around to face Mew.

"I hope you're glad," Lucario muttered irately, a deep sensation of betrayal coursing through him, "You just killed an innocent little puppy…"

"Rather, I rescued it from a fate worse than death at your hands…" Mew responded with an equally disappointed tone. It was clear to both of them that they had misjudged each other, and neither of them knew what to say.

Silently, they continued their journey. They could not sense any other creatures nearby, and so Mew decided to hover a few feet away from Lucario instead of hanging on to his back. The real reason, however, was that neither of them was too keen on acknowledging the other for the remainder of the trip.

Mew wondered which would be worse; Breaking her promise and abandoning Lucario, or being forced to spend several more months with him. He had turned out to be far less noble than she had thought, would it be a sin for her to act the same? Lucario was not thinking similar thoughts, but rather comprehending the fact that Mew had actually defeated his best fighting efforts without even trying. That she was powerful was no news to him, but the idea that he might one day have to oppose that power was. Clutching his fists fiercely, he thought that staying near her might not be such a good idea, after all.

Evil plans clouded their minds as day began to break, and they sat down to rest. Many hours had passed since their conflict, and neither of them had yet to say a thing to one another. The entirety of the situation had begun to sink for both, as Lucario realized that at this point he was just being stubborn. Looking at Mew while scratching the back of his head, he finally spoke.

"… Hey," he said quietly, "… I'm sorry about earlier."

"Regarding the dog?" Mew asked, too surprised at hearing Lucario apologizing to stop herself from demanding a rhetorical affirmation.

"Yeah," Lucario muttered with a somewhat reluctant nod, "I mean, I still think I'm right, but we both only wanted what we thought was best for that dog. Can't really hate you for that."

Mew looked at him, seeing genuine sincerity in his eyes. Suddenly, she was overcome by guilt as she remembered what she had done and lowered her head shamefully.

"… I am sorry, too," she whispered before raising her head to face him, "Forgive me for threatening you, and… Restraining you."

"That was kind of a low blow," Lucario snickered as he threw his arms up, "We had a heated argument, and you're the one who turned abusive. What the hell?"

"… You must understand…" Mew said as she tried to explain herself, "My entire life has been an escape from the clutches of humanity, and-"

"You saw yourself as the dog, and always wished that there was someone like you on the other side?" Lucario interrupted her, thinking that he was finishing her sentence.

"… What?" Mew exclaimed while trying to make sense out of his strange wording.

"You know, a group of people that would let you roam free?" Lucario clarified as he saw Mew's bewildered expression. Suddenly, it turned into a grin as she started to giggle.

"Hmm…" she said earnestly, "That would have been nice."

Smiling in relief, Mew was glad to see the heavy atmosphere between them lifting. However, she could tell that there was still something troubling Lucario, seeing him biting his lower lip while looking away from her and staring solemnly at a leaf passing by in the wind. She wondered what could be wrong, but assumed that she was somehow responsible.

"I was not serious when I said I would allow you to be captured," Mew explained with regret, realizing just how vicious she could get during her very rare fits of rage, "Is that what worries you?"

"Nah, just…" Lucario muttered as his eyes left the leaf and turned his head away from her, "… I used to be Ethan, you know? A great Pokémon trainer… That means I've captured my fair share of Pokémon, probably way more."

"… Yes," Mew agreed. While the Ethan she had met had not been carrying any Pokéballs, his skill at handling Pokémon told her that he definitively had very much experience in the matter. She often thought about how under different circumstances, they might have ended up as the worst of enemies.

"… Deep down… You hate me for it, don't you?" Lucario whispered bitterly as if reading her mind, "I took away their freedom… I must've caused misery for hundreds upon hundreds of innocent Pokémon."

"That is not true! Many Pokémon take joy in befriending a trainer!" Mew shouted while shaking her head, "We… Simply prefer that it be our choice!"

"But… How would I know which ones actually wanted to be with me!?" Lucario shouted back as he turned himself around again, displaying an expression of complete and utter despair, "It's not like they could tell me!"

"That…" Mew stammered at the sight of Lucario's unexpectedly tormented features, not knowing what to say to calm him down, "… That is all in the past."

"No, it isn't!" Lucario scoffed to himself as he put his right hand to the ground and clutched it hard, digging up a patch of soil in the palm of his hand, "It's going on right now, with me on the other side of things. Now that I see what it's like… Goddamn it, what the hell was I thinking!?"

The loathing Lucario had felt for the trainers that had hunted him all this time was culminating, and he was ready to do anything to keep from turning his hatred towards himself. Suddenly, he gritted his teeth and punched the ground over and over again in frustration, looking for something to ease the waves of guilt and anger that washed over him. Normally he would never have done so at the risk of looking like a fool, but his inner turmoil was growing to the point where he was no longer aware of his surroundings. Having finally admitted the implications behind his heritage as Ethan, it was dragging him back into the personality crisis he had faced after the initial revelation, making him realize that he was still far from over it.

Mew was staring in complete surprise, not shocked at what Lucario was doing but rather why he was doing it. Never before had she imagined that a trainer could lament over the Pokémon he had wrongfully captured. It did not make sense to her, for if both sides disliked it, why was it happening? What was the cause? Unhappiness ran through her as she once more slipped back to the conclusion she would always come to when dealing with issues between Pokémon and humans.

"It is not your fault," Mew whispered as she floated down towards Lucario and put her tail on his shoulder. An exasperated gasp escaped him as he slowed down his vicious onslaught, wondering where the soft, familiar sensation was coming from. Looking to his side, he saw Mew giving him a sympathetic look. For a moment everything stood still, conflicting emotions tugging at each other with Lucario in the middle, sitting confused and wondering what was going on.

"… Not… My fault…?" Lucario repeated. It was a term that had once seemed so distant, and now it was staring him right in the face with great blue eyes.

"No…" Mew continued with a pensive expression as she lowered herself and sat down next to him, "… It is… The way of the world."

They remained still for a while, Lucario calming down as Mew gathered her thoughts once more. Sitting down and examining his damaged knuckles, Lucario wondered how he had flown into such a rage just by telling someone what he had been thinking of for so long. Sharing his shame had made it more difficult to ignore, and he decided to keep the rest of his past failures to himself for his own sanity.

"In my dreams…" Mew finally spoke as she looked up into the sky, "… There is a world where there is no difference between humans and Pokémon. A world in which we are all considered to be of the same species, and can co-exist without worry of segregation."

"… That…" Lucario said carefully, having a little trouble finding his casual voice, "… Sounds nice."

"However… The current relationship between Pokémon and humans is deeply flawed," Mew admitted before turning her face expectantly towards Lucario, "Do you think there is hope for us to one day truly understand each other?"

"… Sure," Lucario replied as he looked back and scratched his chin, "We're a good example, aren't we?"

"Yes," Mew answered with a nod before letting her eyes dart off to the side, "… I simply wish there was a way that does not involve the apocalypse… Or switching bodies…"

"What do you mean? My transformation into a Lucario isn't the reason I care," Lucario explained, his confidence slowly returning as he recalled how much his outlook on things had developed over the past year, "In fact, at first I really hated Pokémon… You know, before meeting you."

"Strange," Mew responded with a curious expression, "I had little affection towards humanity before I met you."

Their eyes met for a moment, and their minds seemingly locked on to one another. Instantly the atmosphere turned awkward, and both of them scrambled in their seats to quickly look somewhere else.

"A-At any rate, you're, uh, the legendary Mew!" Lucario exclaimed with a shaky voice, feeling embarrassed and hastily working on bringing back his composure, "I mean, if anyone can make it happen, it's you!"

"Y-Yes. Of course…" Mew said, fairly perplexed but also swiftly collecting herself, "… As of now, I fear that I have no concrete plans on how to do it."

"… Any ideas, at least?" Lucario asked, noticing involuntary movement from his legs and ordering himself to stop fidgeting.

"Mending the current rift between the species would have to be the first step…" Mew explained as she thought to herself and prioritized their ongoing objective, "The larger it grows, the more difficult my task will become."

"Our task," Lucario corrected her as he pointed to himself, confidence at long last fully returned, "I'm with you on this. Can't solve an argument by only representing one side of the species, eh?"

"But… Why?" Mew asked. She knew he had a vast amount of problems of his own to handle, and could still not imagine why he was so insistent on helping her out.

"Let me get one thing straight - I'm pretty bad at giving myself up for the greater good…" Lucario clarified while trying to think of a good way to explain himself, "… But if… If we can really get humanity and Pokémon to co-exist… Maybe then there'll be a place in this world for a human Pokémon like me."

Much to Mew's surprise, Lucario suddenly starting laughing. She felt it was a nice contrast to his earlier fit of rage and sorrow, but still wondered what it could be about.

"Hahaha!" Lucario continued while patting Mew on the back, "Here you are, trying to save the world while I'm only thinking of myself. I should probably hide my selfish intentions better, huh?"

"N-No," Mew responded quickly, her voice involuntarily breaking up from the blunt force striking her, "I… I feel the same. The simple wish of not having to live alone in seclusion is what gave birth to this line of thinking."

"Well… Either way, that's not going to happen," Lucario said as he calmed down and pulled his hand back, having forgotten how physically weak her body was and worrying that he might have accidentally hurt her.

"What do you mean?" Mew asked, once more curious as to his intentions. Normally she was very good at analyzing people's thoughts and predicting their actions, but Lucario was different.

"This is OUR task, remember?" Lucario reminded her while pointing to himself again, "If we fail and you have to go back into hiding, the same goes for me. So… You won't be alone, at least."

They looked at each other, a heavy atmosphere beginning to surround them like before. This time, it was not as awkward as it had been, but more affectionate and friendly. For the first time since they had met, Mew could see the connection between Lucario and the Ethan she had admired, reinvigorating her resolve to protect him… And Lucario finally felt like he could trust the small legendary, at long last seeing her as a genuine friend.

"Uuooh! I'm all fired up!" Lucario yelled as he suddenly stood up with his hands in the air, "Now we've got a goal, let's get training! I'm expecting you to be standing up with only half of your powers this time!"

"Oh, no…" Mew whispered with a depressed tone, "But I was just barely able to do it with sixty percent the last time..."

"Enjoy it while you can," Lucario snickered as he bent over to scratch her head, "By the end of my training regime, you'll be using ZERO percent and doing squats like a real champ!"

"That is not physically possible for me!" Mew protested as she flew up and hovered in front of him, "And you should really be focusing on your own training! Knocking oneself into submission is hardly a legitimate use of aura!"

"Whatever," Lucario shrugged, gulping slightly at the notion of continuing his difficult and often painful teachings, "Even if I can't master that aura thing, I can just make my kicks more powerful by doing squats!"

"And even if I never utilize squats, I can still win every battle through the use of aura!" Mew snapped back, her tail twitching in annoyance.

"Squats!" Lucario yelled.

"Aura!" Mew yelled back.

"SQUATZ!" Lucario yelled, louder this time.

"AURA!" Mew yelled back, also louder.

The two of them kept going until they were too exhausted to train, and went to sleep instead. The following night they continued their journey and were finally able to talk to each other more casually, their friendship stronger and their destination finally clear.

A few miles away, there was a dog. Lying down and resting after a tiresome day of walking piled upon a restless night, it remained oblivious to the fact that it had nearly torn two Pokémon apart while also bringing them closer together than ever before.

Real animals, in a world like this? Strange occurrence indeed.

Well it seems Lucario/Ethan is becoming slightly more understanding, but where did this resolve go when they arrived at their destination? Maybe Zerobi changed his focus.

Looking forward to another chapter from you.

-Azurus

Well it seems Lucario/Ethan is becoming slightly more understanding, but where did this resolve go when they arrived at their destination? Maybe Zerobi changed his focus.
    No, it was there. Why do you think Lucario was so eager to go chasing Mew, and was so sure that she hadn't just abandoned him? They've got plans! I couldn't mention it outright, of course, because before anyone had read this chapter it wouldn't have made any sense... But now, I'm free to reference it all I want!

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast