Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrothorn

Default Ferrothorn

Ferrothorn
    Predicted Tier
    OU

Overview
    God, this thing is like a flower was somehow raped and bred with a bee. Look at those thorns!

But being serious, Ferrothorn is a beast. He has everything that a pokemon would want. An awesome look, great defensive power, a typing that resists 11 common types, and the ability of entry hazards. Though it could be a little higher, 74 HP works very well with his 131 / 116 defenses. He can effectively counter alot of threats today, including Excadrill.

Ferrothorn also is an insane pokemon in Ubers. You could even say he was built (or grown?) for Ubers. He resists 11 of the 12 common Uber types, which includes Dragon, which is commonly used. He even fails to be 2HKO'd by even a STAB Draco Meteor from a 150 base pokemon, or even a +6 STAB Surf from Kyogre. He'd still be taking some serious damage, but that's not something just ANY pokemon can handle.

He has better defenses overall than Forretress, a method of healing in Leech Seed, and a better defensive typing. Despite this, even Ferrothorn has some flaws, like every pokemon.

4x weakness to Fire Type attacks is very threatening. This can be easily remedied with Rain in play, or by using a certain pokemon from the Team Options below. Along with this, Forretress does have one little niche over Ferrothorn- Rapid Spin. It also has a new and improved Sturdy, which has gone from the worst non-penalty ability to one of the best.

Despite these faults, Ferrothorn should be a common sight in both OU and Uber play, and is a huge threat any team needs to prepare for!

Moves
        Spoiler:- Level Up Moves:

Spoiler:- TM / HM Moves:

Spoiler:- Egg Moves:

Abilities
    Steel Thorns: Any pokemon that makes contact with Ferrothorn takes damage. Not entirely useless, but it could be better.

Possible Sets

Standard Utility
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Steel Throns
    EVs: 252 HP / 60 Def / 196 SDef
    Nature: Sassy
    - Stealth Rock / Leech Seed
    - Spikes / Leech Seed
    - Gyro Ball / Power Whip
    - Power Whip / Explosion
    Ferrothorn's trademark set. Ferrothorn has great defensive stats and a wide support movepool, so why not? This isn't meant to be a lead, but to come in after an Anti-Lead or similiar, when he can't be taunted. Since it can't have all three in one set, you should have to pick Spikes or Leech Seed. Leech Seed is the preffered option as you will be able to heal up some, but Spikes makes an incredible liability in Stall Teams. If you want a high power attack, Gyro Ball gets 225 base power with that measly 40 speed. Power Whip however has a strong power to hit Quagsire and Swampert for high damage, as well as slowly killing Suicune as it fails to ever 3HKO Nattorei, even with a +6 boost. If you got with Gyro Ball, Power Whip can be used in the last space to handle a plethora of pokemon or Explosion as a method in case he may die.

This set also works in Ubers.

Support
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    Ability: Steel Thorns
    - Leech Seed
    - Thunder Wave / Toxic
    - Spikes
    - Power Whip / Gyro Ball
    This Ferrothorn is meant to either support your team or stall your opponents. It all depends on what moves you use. Leech Seed + Leftovers offers great recover in a turn. If your running support, use Thunder Wave so you have a greater time sweeping or Toxic to Heal massive HP to yourself and damange massive to your opponent. Spikes is a must, since both sides appreciate it. Power Whip or Gyro Ball really depends on your own preferences.

Gimmick Annoyer
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    - Leech Seed
    - Ingrain
    - Toxic
    - Rest
    Oh god, this thing pisses me off. Regaining 3/16ths of your HP a turn, damaging the opponent for 1/8th is just cruel. Not a great set, but it deserved some recognition. Rest just in case you need a quick heal.

Swords Dance
    Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
    EVs: 158 HP / 240 Atk / 112 SDed
    Nature: Adamant
    - Swords Dance
    - Seed Bomb / Power Whip
    - Iron Head / Gyro Ball
    - Explosion
    94 Base attack is nothing to scoff at. At 312 attack and great defenses, Ferrothorn can run a Swords Dance set with ease. Not only do his defenses make it an easy set up, but it makes a great sweep attempt as well. Seed Bomb for consistency, or Power Whip for... well power. Iron Head for consistency and flinch chance or Gyro Ball for power. Explosion will hit the hardest and will be used only if you need to.

Curse you, Ferrothorn!
    Ferrothorn @ Rugged Helmet
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SDef
    Nature: Careful
    - Curse
    - Leech Seed
    - Seed Bomb
    - Iron Head
    How does this thind wear a helmet? Curse Ferrothorn is a great pokemon, and works just like Suicune. However, with Sleep Talk no longer available, Leech seed is his only choice. With 6 curses, Nattorei will fail to be OHKO'd by pretty much everything. Iron Head instead of Gyro Ball since this needs to last longer, and the same to Seed Bomb > Power Whip.

Team Options
    Jellicent loves him. It's funny since Ferrothorn kinda looks like a Pringle. But really, with Jellicent, they quite literally resist 15 of the 17 types, besides Flying (Who cares) and Ground (which may be a problem.) Luckily, Zapdos resists both, so the FerroZapIcent core is a great core resisting all 17 types. They all have defensive value as well, which is a bonus.

In Ubers, Kyogre is his best friend. Rain puts his weakness to only 2x, which will make him difficult to beat. They form a great defensive core as well, resisting most of the other's weaknesses, barring Fighting.

Countering Ferrothorn
    Anything with a Fire Attack will slaughter him. He is also easily taken down by Taunt. This section is short, since he doesn't have many counters. Although, Blaziken does do a nice job.

This is quite honestly one of my favorite competitive pokémon of the 5th gen, along with Haxorus and Chandelure. It would be nice if it had a Sp Def boosting move, but you can't have everything, I guess. I think that Shed Shell should at least be mentioned with Chandelure running rampant, though. (Before you chew me out, Shadow Tag Chandelure has not been banned, Smogon and Pokémon online have both decided on it.) Nice sets btw.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Ferrothorn is one example of something that GameFreak did right. Great defenses, good defensive typing, lots of support options, a decent attack stat with great STAB moves, Ferro's got it all.

Just one suggestion. On the support set, you could slash Leech Seed next to Stealth Rock. It's still legal with Spikes, and in many cases Spikes is a superior entry hazard to Stealth Rock in 5th Gen, so it will go great with Leech Seed for support. After all, with Ferro's bulk, he won't find it hard to set up those Spikes.

Yeah, you might want to make it
    - Stealth Rock / Spikes
    - Spikes / Leech Seed
    so any of the three combos can be chosen.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

I will get on to that matter in a little while. Thanks for the help, maybe I can do analysises more often.

he's pretty much forretress with a few more resistances, 1 more weakness, better move pool, and better bulk. I like him
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/343jiwx.png[/IMG]
    Keeping the classics alive

Ferrothorn is one of my favourite Pokemon this gen. Just wanted to say that while Taunt does stop him from using Hazards/Leech Seed/T-wave the taunter can't be too frail as Gyro Ball and Power Whip hurt from his decent attack stat. So Taunt doesn't necessarily "easily take him down".
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

Ferrothorn is better than forretress. It has much better special defence, and can get hp def and spdef above 300. however fortress does have a better tability and slightly better typing.
    *I would use iron head over gyro ball because what if a pokemon is slower?
    Counters: A fire punch Darmanitan with life orb (does not take recoil but get boost from sheer force and sheer force) will 1hko any ferrothorn without focus shash.
    Pokemon Ferrothorn counters: Weavile (a stabbed iron head or gyro ball would wreak weavile), It might wall kyogre pretty well, Swapert, quagsire, just for starters.
    Competitive battling pokemon

Currently Training
    Shiny Pokemon

Almost (and actually, I think 99%) of OU is faster than Nattorei.

Forretress has Rapid Spin whilst Nattorei does not.

Those are not counters, they are checks.

Pokemon Ferrothorn Counters isn't really viable.

good thing i planned on wanting one
    Thunder Ghouls is getting low on members and we could use your support. Join us
    FC for Trading and Battling:2666 3899 5906
    Name: Azukan(happyface) Record: 3W-8L
    [IMG]http://i39.*******.com/344uwsj.gif[/IMG] I have alot of bred Deinos. They need homes.

My Best Friend Pokemon: Smashy Gorebyss Honchkrow     Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by twcopal View Post
    however fortress does have a better tability and slightly better typing.
    Ability: arguably no. Sturdy won't work if Forretress isn't at full health, and with hazards that is unlikely. Getting 12.5% knocked off physical attackers is great at wearing them down.

Typing: again, arguably no. They both share the quad fire weakness, and the only weakness Ferrothorn has over Forretress is Fighting. While that is a big thing to be weak to, the extra resists to Rock, Water and Electric moves are big deals as they are commonly seen offensive types. Especially water.

They're both hit neutral by Ground though :/
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

really solid ou mon. i think it's probably for the best that spikes + rocks + leech seed is illegal since that helps with 4mss a lot. really solid typing+defenses and it's nice to see a defensive poke that can't be set up on (120 power stab move off 95 atk is nothing to scoff at).

I use this set for Ferrothorn.

Ferrothorn @ Lagging Tail
    EVs: 252 HP/125 Atk/125 Sp.Def
    - Power Whip
    - Gyro Ball
    - Payback
    - Toxic

Back in the Serebii.net Forums!

Ha ha, I love and hate Ferrothorn at the same time. I love it because it completely walls rain teams, and I hate it because it completely walls rain teams. xD lol I mean, this thing is beast in rain. Hm... Might be time for me to make a new team...

I love the Steel Thorns+ Rugged Helmet combo...it's quite succesful

"Fear is Freedom!
    Subjugation is Liberation!
    Contradiction is Truth!
    These are the truths of the world! Surrender to these truths, you pigs in human clothing!"

I love Ferrothorn...no, I've never used it before...
    But I've always managed to OHKO or 2HKO it with my Dragonite's unboosted Flamethrower, or my Lucario's Blaze Kick
    Always a free KO for me XD

SPECIALSHIPPER!

"Pokemon? Isn't that for little kids?" -Guy that got whacked in the head two seconds later

I love ferrothorn, and I know people are going to just hate this set and think it's stupid but I actually think it could work pretty well;

ability; iron thorns
    item; rugged helmet
    -Leech seed
    -Toxic
    -Power Whip/ Gyro Ball
    -Thunder wave

OK this is just meant to slowly kill opponents 1/8 with iron thorns, 1/8 with rugged helmet (if they hit you), Leech seed 1/8 from them and straight to you, toxic 1/16 and rising and thunder wave to cripple and Power Whip/ Gyro ball for STAB'ed damage

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzlm23 View Post
    I love ferrothorn, and I know people are going to just hate this set and think it's stupid but I actually think it could work pretty well;

ability; iron thorns
    item; rugged helmet
    -Leech seed
    -Toxic
    -Power Whip/ Gyro Ball
    -Thunder wave

OK this is just meant to slowly kill opponents 1/8 with iron thorns, 1/8 with rugged helmet (if they hit you), Leech seed 1/8 from them and straight to you, toxic 1/16 and rising and thunder wave to cripple and Power Whip/ Gyro ball for STAB'ed damage
    I see no problem with this set, the only thing irregular is Toxic, but it's a decent move, I'd say by all means use it, but I'd remove something for spikes, they're just too good to not use
    The world will turn to Ash...

SS Friend Code
    James 4727-2044-6382
    Silver Trainer Card, 4 Stars
    493/493 Pokemon

White Friend Code
    James 4813-6393-3409
    Purple Trainer Card

Looking for a female Anticipation Eevee
    Can offer Pokerus etc.
    PM for offers

Quote Originally Posted by Fozzlm23 View Post

ability; iron thorns
    item; rugged helmet
    -Leech seed
    -Toxic
    -Power Whip/ Gyro Ball
    -Thunder wave

You can only put one status on the opponent... why have T-wave and Toxic? One or the other :P
    I don't play 4th Gen or 5th Gen.

My Youtube Channel. Feel tired of 5th Gen, with Stealth Rock, Eviolite, Choice Scarf, and priority everywhere? Come check out some good old ADV OU, where you can waste your time watching battles that go on for more than 50 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by Charmander#4 in the thread "Is the God of the Bible Good, Evil or Neutral?"
    I think he rolled Chaotic Neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by meteor64 View Post
    You can only put one status on the opponent... why have T-wave and Toxic? One or the other :P
    hahaha I guess his intention was to use both so he can affect the ones that resist the other, but I agree and I'd take one out for Spikes
    The world will turn to Ash...

SS Friend Code
    James 4727-2044-6382
    Silver Trainer Card, 4 Stars
    493/493 Pokemon

White Friend Code
    James 4813-6393-3409
    Purple Trainer Card

Looking for a female Anticipation Eevee
    Can offer Pokerus etc.
    PM for offers

For your swords dance set, I'd run brave over adamant, and make a note for a zero speed iv, and make gyro ball the main option over iron head. Ferrathorn is so slow that it won't be getting any flinches, and besides, since it's so slow, gyro ball will be at full power most of the time, which is nearly twice as strong as iron head. Lastly, drop explosion for leech seed.

I've found it pretty useful with

Ferrothorn @ Rugged Helmet - Relaxed
    252 HP/104 Attack/60 Defense/92 Special defense
    -Stealth rock
    -Spikes
    -Gyro Ball
    -Explosion

It has the bulk to set up hazards, the strength to take out a Forretress that may Rapid Spin it, and the ability to take out a massive chunk of any enemy switched in, which is particularly useful when its health has been penalized by entry hazards, giving it a viable KO and thus an handicapped enemy on the followup.

I actually keep it and Forretress on a sandstorm team, with no augment in special defense on either, and use Forretress for toxic spikes, hazard clearing and setting the last layer or two of spikes, which I often lose the opportunity to do-- And then exploding as well. Along with a phazer or two (I don't like using Excadrill, hence having an actual sand team and not just a bunch of Excadrill support), it's a pretty killer combination-- Stealth rock I put on my Tyranitar lead, and I have power whip as well.

Just some thoughts for team options.
    SoulSilver FC: Diana--4383-4295-7267

Interested in a less competitive community, dedicated not to evening the meta/competitive game by elimination but to evening it by finding the use for the "less useful" factours? Simply casual and want to talk about your favourites?
    http://karenites.co.cc/phpBB3/index.php

Nah, Explosion is stupid this gen, without the opponent's halved defense, it's just a mediocre move.
    I'm tired of signatures...

Love Ferrothorn, bit of a pain to evolve though, but definitely worth it. Going to be a great OU

My shiny pokemon: as well as shiny Snivy I got from some randomer japanese guy over the GTS
    Y Friend Code 2793-1497-1708
    Friend Safari: Poison, Gloom, Muk and Garbodor!

Play Ocarina Of Time. Get to Ganon. Replace Ganon with Emboar and tell me he doesn't fit right in? The truth is out, Ganon has escaped, and is now in the form of a Pokemon!!!

Spoiler:- Credits:

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Ferrothorn is one example of something that GameFreak did right. Great defenses, good defensive typing, lots of support options, a decent attack stat with great STAB moves, Ferro's got it all.

Just one suggestion. On the support set, you could slash Leech Seed next to Stealth Rock. It's still legal with Spikes, and in many cases Spikes is a superior entry hazard to Stealth Rock in 5th Gen, so it will go great with Leech Seed for support. After all, with Ferro's bulk, he won't find it hard to set up those Spikes.
    Too bad it looks terrible.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast