Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Ferrothorn

<-countering Ferrothorn

I have only used my Ferrothorn a bit, and make fun of it all you want because I have only used him a few times so far. But I have been using him as a lead. My IV's on my Def. and Sp. Def are 28 and 29, i decided to try an unusual EV spread and moveset.

Nature: Impish
    EV:
    Hp: 120
    Att: 60
    Def: 140
    Sp. Def: 188

Moveset:
    Power Whip
    Gyro Ball
    Toxic
    Sandstorm

Depending on what pokemon is sent out against me, I can either go for a SE hit, hit the switch in with Toxic (hopefully) or setup my Excadrill with sandstorm. If I get my Excadrill in with sandstorm, few, if any, pokemon will be able to attack first with a fire-type move.

My ferrothorn is a beast. unfortinatly, the ferrothorn document is on my other comp.
    Welcome to SPPf! Where everything's made up and the points don't matter! Yup, the points are like...any argument in this forum!

I have claimed Wooper!

I would use it but Fire already shits on me. Its access to support moves like Seed and T-Wave and entry hazards AND a powerful STAB move make it very powerful.

I got Ferroseed and gave it Rocky Helmet and it tanked gyms 5-8! Than once I beat the Elite 4 I redid Ferrothorn this way;

Ferrothorn
    Ability: Iron Bards
    EV's: 252 HP 100 Def 156 SDef
    Nature: Relaxed (+Def -Spd)

-Power Whip
    -Toxic
    -Leech Seed
    -Stealth Rock

This combo (if used properly) will make physical sweepers faint before you ever use a Power Whip. I start with Stealth Rock, than I use Leech Seed, and than I use Toxic. After that if the pokemon is still standing than I proceed to use Power Whip.

Ferrothorn does have a harder time against Special Attackers because it makes his ability useless, which is why I run Toxic over Thunder Wave. Plus I use Togekiss's Para-Flinch set.
    wascos1Friend Code:0948-1608-2091

Pokemon Battle Ready For Competitions

where do you get Stealth Rock? Does he learn it?

Pokemon White FC: 3181 5467 4837

Quote Originally Posted by Zercker View Post
    where do you get Stealth Rock? Does he learn it?
    Egg move, has to come from the Onix, Geodude, Roggenrola, or Dweeble families.
    BLACK TEAM!
    (I have claimed Honchkrow, the Don)
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/xfnpc5.png[/IMG][IMG]http://i56.*******.com/21l4h6t.png[/IMG]
    R.I.P. Shiny Dusknoir and Shiny Ratticate
        Spoiler:- Credit:

I've been thinking of building a Ferrothorn, thought I would run it by you guys first:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
    EVs: HP 252, Def 128, SDef 128
    Moveset:
    Stealth Rocks
    Leech Seed
    Curse
    Gyro Ball/Iron Head

I would use Stealth Rocks instead of Spikes because it deals additional damage to Fire (my biggest rational fear). Leech seed would be used not just to heal, but to motivate the opponent to switch out, activating the Stealth Rocks upon entry. In the event they use Rapid Spin that's fine, they got rid of my hazard(s) but just lost 1/4th their health from the combined Iron Barbs+Rocky Helmet.

Now here's where things get tricky for me. Sweep Freak suggested using Iron Head in a Curse build, but wouldn’t Curse benefit Gyro Ball more? While Iron Head would be STAB’ed 80 power/100 accuracy, Gyro Ball can potentially be a STAB’ed 150 power/100 accuracy. Unless you’re fighting something with a decently below average speed (we’re talking less than Spd 80 at level 100), Gyro ball should deal more damage. Then you throw Curse into the mix and your boost to attack/drop to speed is a double boost for Gyro Ball. Am I missing something about this?

Also, which do you suggest between Relaxed/Sassy Nature? Considering I WANT to be hit physically so they lose 1/4th their health, but I don’t want to lose a lot of health in the process I would say Relaxed. But his defense is already really high, and since I’m Cursing it will keep going higher anyways. So should I balance him out and put his nature towards Sassy instead? If so, should I refigure his EV’s?

Thanks for the great thread so far!

Quote Originally Posted by sushipopsicle View Post
    I've been thinking of building a Ferrothorn, thought I would run it by you guys first:

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
    Ability: Iron Barbs
    Nature: Relaxed/Sassy
    EVs: HP 252, Def 128, SDef 128
    Moveset:
    Stealth Rocks
    Leech Seed
    Curse
    Gyro Ball/Iron Head

I would use Stealth Rocks instead of Spikes because it deals additional damage to Fire (my biggest rational fear). Leech seed would be used not just to heal, but to motivate the opponent to switch out, activating the Stealth Rocks upon entry. In the event they use Rapid Spin that's fine, they got rid of my hazard(s) but just lost 1/4th their health from the combined Iron Barbs+Rocky Helmet.

Now here's where things get tricky for me. Sweep Freak suggested using Iron Head in a Curse build, but wouldn’t Curse benefit Gyro Ball more? While Iron Head would be STAB’ed 80 power/100 accuracy, Gyro Ball can potentially be a STAB’ed 150 power/100 accuracy. Unless you’re fighting something with a decently below average speed (we’re talking less than Spd 80 at level 100), Gyro ball should deal more damage. Then you throw Curse into the mix and your boost to attack/drop to speed is a double boost for Gyro Ball. Am I missing something about this?

Also, which do you suggest between Relaxed/Sassy Nature? Considering I WANT to be hit physically so they lose 1/4th their health, but I don’t want to lose a lot of health in the process I would say Relaxed. But his defense is already really high, and since I’m Cursing it will keep going higher anyways. So should I balance him out and put his nature towards Sassy instead? If so, should I refigure his EV’s?

Thanks for the great thread so far!
    The only problem I see here is that this set does not threaten water types very much, even after a curse, and even less so if they get behind a substitute to dodge leech seed. One thing you could do is drop either stealth rock or leech seed, to get power whip, but then you'd lose some utility support and some things (like heatran) still won't be threatened at all.

Gyro-ball + curse is a nice combo. Watch out for stuff like Hippowdown though, it's already slow and you're not carrying grass to deal with it, and it could be carrying fire fang for a 2HKO.

If you plan on being able to get curse up, then going for special defense might be a good idea. Just keep in mind that then you're taking a risk in having Thorn take powerful physical hits before a curse, given all the very strong physical sweepers out there (Garchomp, Excadrill, Conkeldurr etc.).
    "I now understand the basics of battle, but have much yet left to learn of combat. While I can hold my own, I cannot call myself anything more than a trainer"

One thing you could do is drop either stealth rock or leech seed, to get power whip, but then you'd lose some utility support and some things (like heatran) still won't be threatened at all.
    Heatran would be a problem almost no matter what you do with Ferrothorn, but I understand the worry of Substitution Water-types. But I'm hoping to make him somewhat utility focused, and I have gyro ball instead of power whip in case of grass types, which are immune to leech seed.

But generally I agree.

This is my moveset:
    -Leech Seed
    -Protect
    -Gyro Ball
    -Power Whip
    Item: Leftovers

This thing is almost impossible to kill. Once Leech Seed is up, it usually restores way more damage that it takes when it alternates with Protect.
    My Youtube Channel is finally up!

http://www.youtube.com/user/Dooplissity

Ferrothorn look like an interesting Pokemon to use, and hooray for having a grass type that does not stink (though you could say that it's unfair because of its steel typing, which is the considered the best type in the series).

I love my Ferrothorn. He's an amazing switch in for good damage towards physical sweepers. Not to mention the handy item ROCKY HELMET which boosts that iron barb power up to taking 1/4 damage off of your opponent every time it touches it. This stops fake out's, and just beats the poop out of anybody who comes near the guy. <3

Substitute should be mentioned, since it prevents Thunder Wave and Burn, as well as easing up prediction. Not to mention that his Substitutes take forever to break... Without a Fire/Fighting move. Also I believe that Iron Barbs activates upon hitting a substitute as well.
    Ignore, thanks.

Iron barbs/Rocky helmet do not work on subs. very disappointing I know
    FC: 1506 5859 1076

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo-Unlegendary View Post
    Egg move, has to come from the Onix, Geodude, Roggenrola, or Dweeble families.
    Actually, you can get Stealth Rock and Leech Seed from Torterra, if he learned Stealth Rock in 4th Gen. Makes it a LOT more powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

You're better off putting Stealth Rocks on something else. Ferrothorn's primary use is Spiking.

Although that may be the case, Ferrothorn could still act as an effective Stealth Rocker if you lack Rocks on your Team. It's not the primary option, but it is very viable.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

Its possible. I guess if you're not spending your free turns Spiking you can spend it Leech Seeding or Thunder Waving..

Default Ferrothorn sets

Those are some really nice sets youve laid out, i might train a ferrothorn with one of them, Ive also made up my own set and hoping pple like it since it actually does work quite well:

Nature: anything that raises either defenses and lowers sp attack or speed
    EV spread: put everything in sp def and def, youll steadily gain hp through other means
    Item: Leftovers, your goin for bulk here
    Ability: Iron Barbs, its pretty much a given
    Moves:
    Curse
    Toxic
    Ingrain
    Gyroball

Curse is there for att gain and added bulk
    Toxic is there to ruin other bulky pple
    Ingrain partners with leftovers for more hp
    Gyroball works wonders with Curse

Toxic is more of a filler move, i might replace it with leech seed
    Ingrain is a giver, protects u from switching moves such as dragon tail
    Curse is a huge helper making it a huge physical wall
    Gyroball is resisted by few and with stab and curse support, your hitting for a lot of damage

hope this set helps a few pple looking for a defensive wall attacker, and feel free to comment on this set, id like to see what pple have to say

I love ferrothorn. Especially protect leech seed stealth rocks and power whip

Click above and check out my YouTube channel!

@the ingrain set. ingrain is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE MOVE. it is basically an auto-shadow tag on yourself. you now cannot escape so guess what? in comes set-up sweeper, gets to +6 whatever,and sweeps your team.
    "The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must." -Thucydides

Quote Originally Posted by garchompmaster29 View Post
    @the ingrain set. ingrain is a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE MOVE. it is basically an auto-shadow tag on yourself. you now cannot escape so guess what? in comes set-up sweeper, gets to +6 whatever,and sweeps your team.
    Ingrain can be a pain when used incorrectly, but with ingrain, leftovers, and leech seed if you have it, thats a ton of self-healing, plus if you come up against a dragon tail and u have boosted with curse, ingrain makes you stay in place so Dragon tail wont switch u out getting rid of your stat changes.

So in my opinion Ingrain is a great move

No, Ingrain is not a great move.

Go Volcarona!
    OH **** I CANT SWITCH!
    Volcarona used Fiery Dance!

Well it'l work with Explosion at best. Since Everything nowadays carries a Fighting or Fire typed move for killing Ferrothorn (He's the prick who tops the Usage chart)
    Ignore, thanks.

what someoneiguess said. it is a great move on 1 condition: you don't want to be trapped in and get your whole team swept.
    "The strong did what they could, the weak suffered what they must." -Thucydides

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast