Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2011 Edition

Hybrid View

Default Serebii Forums Suggestion Thread - 2011 Edition

Serebii Forums Suggestions Thread™

Got a suggestion that you think will make the forums a better place?
    Well look no further. 2011 edition oh boy!

Things not to ask about
    Seriously read this.

Name Changes
    Explanation from RaZoR LeAf.

Custom Avatars
    Explanation from JoshYEAH & Serebii.

Spam Forums
    The Games forum may suit your desires.

New Server / Upgrade to latest VBulletin
    We actually got the server fixed at the start of 2011, upgrading to a newer VBulletin is being considered.

Changes to the Infraction Point System
    Any queries about said system will most likely be answered here.

Changes to the Mod Team
    Any grievances you have with a moderator should be directed towards an admin (list near the bottom of this page).

Changes to the Sig Rules
    They were changed way back in December 2009, and made a lot more user friendly, check them out here.

A Trade Forum
    We have one that can be found here. We also have the Wifi-Chatroom. More information regarding the chatrooms can be found here.

The option to see Post Count
    We implemented that! Check the top right hand side of your posts!

Donations
    Serebii doesn't want donations, and likely never will.

Anything related to the Website and not the Forums
    Go to this thread if you have anything to suggest regarding Serebii.net.

Fan Game Forums

Intro kindly donated by JoshYEAH

Going back to the mentions of mobile in the previous thread, it would be great to have a mobile-friendly skin. When you load the forums on iPhone the text is tiny and scrolling in all directions to read it is annoying. I'm sure you can get some free simple mobile themes.

Quote Originally Posted by RichUncleSkeleton View Post
    Going back to the mentions of mobile in the previous thread, it would be great to have a mobile-friendly skin. When you load the forums on iPhone the text is tiny and scrolling in all directions to read it is annoying. I'm sure you can get some free simple mobile themes.
    This was answered in the previous thread;
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Nutter
    I did a little look around. There are Mobile forum app for iPhone/iOs Devices and a few for Android. Many are not cheap and require someone (The user or Joe) to buy something, and Joe to add some back end code to the forums, which I don;t think he wants to do yet.
    The forums just had a huge upgrade regarding the lag and whatnot, and everything costs money. The forum friendly skin thing goes back into coding issues, which as shown above, are not something that Serebii is currently considering.

OK then first, people need to learn that a forum theme is not an "app". Second, I'm sure there are free mobile themes out there. There are loads on the vBulletin site - you need to register, but I don't know if you need to pay to access them.

I'm fairly sure you guys have said no to this, but I'm just throwing it out there again since I can't remember why it was rejected.

Why not let users edit the titles of their own threads and have the new title show up on the index?
    Last edited by Lbsweet96; 27th January 2011 at 10:35 PM.

When you view serebii.net in Epiphany web browser, you are able to right-click. Just letting you know as this poses a risk to content theft.

Click here if you want to join ^
    Going through life with depression is like trying to run for a touchdown on two broken legs.

After 4 of these threads I'd have thought people would be able to tell the difference between the website and the forums.

First post FTW! (Kidding)

I love the new Serebii. I still wish we had custom avatarts (not complaining, if it makes the forum not lag, I'd rather not have it)

I mean, smogon has it.
    But I don't care about it much. In fact I don't want it at all.

What I really wouldn't mind is an option where whenever you get a post, you recieve a PM. There is one that does it for every topic you visited, and after trying that, my inbox just clogs up.

^ You mean you get PM'd whenever someone replies to a thread you posted in? That's basically the same as the subscription system with no email notification so it just shows up in your UCP. PM inboxes would have to be massively expanded too, to make it work.

Why not let users edit the titles of their own threads and have the new title show up on the index?
    I'd like this too.

No, when a thread made by you get's a post. This way, if you had a guide for example, you would be notified. But if you posted, it wouldn't message you.

That's another thing we need. A whole different section devoted to 5th generation analysises. That way, we could stop clogging the 5th Gen Discussion with them

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep Freak View Post
    That's another thing we need. A whole different section devoted to 5th generation analysises. That way, we could stop clogging the 5th Gen Discussion with them
    You mean like a Generation V Discussion Section, like with the past Generations? That would be a good idea since the games have been out in Japan for a long time and we are already getting into the US Rush.

Ruby: LeafGreen (Nuzlocke):
    Emerald: Diamond:
    Pearl: Platinum:
    SoulSilver: White:
    White 2:
    Wii FC: 8945-6722-1722-6586 | Nintendo Network ID: Master_Zach
    3DS FC: 1289-8257-7574 | Xbox Gamertag: WaTeRChAmP97
    Claimed: Blastoise, Pokémon XY & Calem from Pokémon XY

It would be great to have a mobile-friendly skin.

^You can go onto VBulletin and get a moblie-friendly skin.

I would like to be able to change the title of our threads.

We have custom avatars, a fantastic staff, and a great community! Join today!
    Say that "DiscoPichu" referred you!
    Credit to zhanton for sig.

I mean, if their were name changes, you could just have a button or something similiar and click it at the end of the day. You could also limit name changes for each user so they have to keep their name and it would be less hassle.

It's like, suppose you had 1 of 5000 people changing their username. You can simply tell him / her that they would have their username within a time limit. Then, when you get alot of people trying to change their usernames, you can click a "Accept all Name Changes" and avoid having to click one by one.

I don't know too much about computers, so I'm iffy if that would work, because honestly, I wouldn't mind a name change, but if it's for the server, why not?

I'm not asking for one, I am merely suggesting a possible solution. DX

Stop posting about User name changes; nothing anyone says or suggests will do anything other than clog up the thread.

Regarding the app thing; it is literally just a case of "Serebii doesn't want to do it so it isn't getting done."

What I really wouldn't mind is an option where whenever you get a post, you recieve a PM. There is one that does it for every topic you visited, and after trying that, my inbox just clogs up.
    This would require, as someone mentioned, a huge increase to PM box capacities of members; beyond that it's not so much a hassle reducing thing when if you're concerned about your threads there are a myriad of other ways to check them out; consider a bookmarks folder dedicated to threads you start for example. Such a thing is a lot more work than it need be for a result that not many people will care for (I know fine well if I got a PM every time someone responded to a thread I'd made I'd become annoyed very quickly).

So there's that; the users editing their thread titles thing is open to abuse and the permission masks on the area are somewhat iffy; if it's a matter of life and death that your thread title be changed I'm sure you could just PM a mod; I hear they're instated for things like that.

Hey I just had an idea that would solve the mobile issue: a forum skin with larger text! The main problem I have is that the font is tiny, but if you zoom in you have to move left to right as well as top to bottom.

It would take 10 minutes to go through the stylesheet and double all the font sizes. Then the forums would be much easier to read on iPhone.

I have a small suggestion for the forums. If its a bad idea thats ok, you dont have to listen to me. How about adding a section for Blog threads. It might make the forums a more social and friendlier place. Id like to be able to blog about various things like games and stuff. All the forum rules would apply of course, and i think it would be a great thing for us.

Quote Originally Posted by Arceus-sama View Post
    I have a small suggestion for the forums. If its a bad idea thats ok, you dont have to listen to me. How about adding a section for Blog threads. It might make the forums a more social and friendlier place. Id like to be able to blog about various things like games and stuff. All the forum rules would apply of course, and i think it would be a great thing for us.
    There was an idea being thrown around for adding the actual blogging feature that vBulletin incorporates, but ultimately it was decided against due to a lag free forum being superior to a lagging forum that you have a livejournal account on as well.

Ultimately if you want a Blog, here isn't the best place for it; just start up a Livejournal, Wordpress or Blogger account and link it in your signature, chances are you'll get the equivalent amount of readers as a thread would anyway. A blogs forum of the nature you describe would be an unholy mess to moderate, especially when you have things like commenting et al; basically it's a case of "make a blog on a blogging site and link it in your signature" or don't make a blog at all.

Serebii confirmed;

-18:55:43- (~Serebii) we may add it eventually
    -18:55:55- (~Serebii) but I just threw a load of cash in getting rid of lag
    Last edited by PLANES CURE TOWERS; 8th February 2011 at 7:57 PM.

Default Official and clearly defined terms

I feel that some terms are not well defined here on Serebii.net when it comes to the in-game trading especially. This has probably been brought up before, is probably in the wrong place, and etc., but I am new here! This is sort of why I am asking for a more clear definition. Where is the fine line drawn for hacking? Well IVed shinies? RNG Abuse? Cloning (By GTS)? AR? Pokesav? Flat out blatently managing the impossible? All those are hacking? Really needs better and more well defined terms. On the newbie forums, when I said 'hi' for the first time, I asked about RNG abuse (The ever controversial topic), and was told it is okay here on Serebii.net. Of course that was only one person and the rest had never heard of it. One thought it was the use of Action Replay.

I am by no means saying go all lawyer on the FAQs, just address what the tolerance here on Serebiiforums is for 'legit hacking' (Like I said before, dumb luck, RNG abuse? GTS Cloning? Item hacks? AR hacking for research (on game code like is done on other sites)? Flat out blatent Pokesaving?

You could just put a grocery list of what is and isn't allowed.

BTW, based on current results (From being in the Newbie Lounge), not many of you (outside of mods and admins) know what RNG abuse is. Its basically manipulation of the in game pseudo random number generator by manipulating the time on your DS (Done from the options menu on the main screen). Requires no outside devices other than a calculator and a brain. Can be done faster using a computer for your brain to speed up finding good IVs 100 fold (But the computer never in any way connects to the DS). And for future reference, people have in fact hatched pentaflawless-shiny-properly natured pokemon without RNG abuse. Whether or not you believe me is your choice. So basically everything from RNG abuse is actually possible.

And one last thing, please do not ignore me because I have a low post count. I am more well known on other sites, just not this one and have read Serebii articles and forums for many years now (Since Gen III I believe...)

Wow this is turning into a wall of text, so I better stop.

I know this is only a minor thing, it is more housekeeping but I have noticed that in the 5th generation section there is no 'Pokémon 5th Generation discussion' like the other generations. It might be because you are waiting for another 5th generation game to be announced but I think it might be sensible to put it in now so people can discuss what they would like in the third installment or some random theory on the genie trio that more applies for the entire generation instead of a specific game.

Also, i think this would take some pressure off some of the threads being posted in GPD which really should belong in the thread I am suggesting.
    Loves every part of pokemon, loves the movies, the anime and every game, so you could call me fan lol.

Apparently i'm a...

Favourite Pokemon: but i like them all

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ominous Fire View Post
    BTW, based on current results (From being in the Newbie Lounge), not many of you (outside of mods and admins) know what RNG abuse is. Its basically manipulation of the in game pseudo random number generator by manipulating the time on your DS (Done from the options menu on the main screen). Requires no outside devices other than a calculator and a brain. Can be done faster using a computer for your brain to speed up finding good IVs 100 fold (But the computer never in any way connects to the DS). And for future reference, people have in fact hatched pentaflawless-shiny-properly natured pokemon without RNG abuse. Whether or not you believe me is your choice. So basically everything from RNG abuse is actually possible.
    OK, serebiiforums seriously needs to update the terminology in the FAQs section, cause I am not sure what this is about. I have a basic idea, but past that no clue. It has something to do with math and a clock, maybe. I really don't know but whatever. I tried looking this up in the terminology section and found no mention of this; colour me surprised. If it is so accepted, we should have a guide, a dictionary entry, a floating head from "Where on Earth is Carmen San Diego" telling us what this guy is talking about, especially when it's common place on serebiiforums. Pat...I'd like to buy a clue. You're right guy this is something that needs to be addressed.

Edit: sorry if that sounded too critical...I was trying to be funny after...well...a long day of work.
    Last edited by druboyks; 21st May 2011 at 7:42 AM. Reason: my act of contrition dwarfs the impending apocolypse
    (first 2 images come from Nintendo boards, ) Profile badge () courtesy of ~.:Northern Lights:.~ "In a mad world, only the Hatter reigns supreme!" claim: Sarah Jane Smith w/ sonic lipstick

This is a pondering thought, but what if we made a Dream World sub-forum? We could have DW Recent Happenings, DW Pokemon discussion, DW furniture discussion, DW area discussion, DW mini-game discussion, etc.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    This is a pondering thought, but what if we made a Dream World sub-forum? We could have DW Recent Happenings, DW Pokemon discussion, DW furniture discussion, DW area discussion, DW mini-game discussion, etc.
    Or we could save space and just use the one Dream World thread which is functioning fine with discussion pertaining to all aspects of Dream World.

may be serebii could add the falvour texts to the black and white pokedex;

Quote Originally Posted by mewtwo177 View Post
    may be serebii could add the falvour texts to the black and white pokedex;
    This thread is for forum suggestions, not site suggestions. At any rate I imagine he will once the games actually come out in English.
    Quote Originally Posted by alishenai View Post
    I think that there should be restrictions on how big a signature can be. Some signatures are rediculously big and take up a almost an entire screen height. It makes reading threads very irritating and most serve absolutely no purpose.

I think it should really only be big enough for a couple of FC's, or maybe a small place to show off your shiny collection but nothing bigger than that. Have a look at my own signature to get an idea of how big I think it should be. Now I know that most people will probably disagree with me, but this is a suggestion thread and this is my suggestion.
    We already have a set of limits in the Signature Rules thread. If you see someone's signature that breaks those rules (too big, etc), you can report them to a mod by PMing them with a link to the person's profile.

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current Article: From RSE to ORAS - what has improved? We look at aspects that changed for better or worse.
    Previous Article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar: minty-fivestar on DA, edited background/cropping. Fic banner: cieux.

Page 1 of 29 1234511 ... LastLast