Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 30

Thread: How many episodes till each main girl character makes a cameo?

  1. #1

    Default How many episodes till each main girl character makes a cameo?

    We are nearly almost over with this XY series and Iris still hasn't made her cameo like all the past main characters did. Does her character getting a lot of backlash mean this for her?
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

    Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town!
    Posts
    4,470

    Default

    IIRC none of the other girls reappeared in the following sagas this late. Iris also got her own special episode. I don't think she's coming back, but if she does, it'll likely be during a post-league arc.
    "It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...And then one fine morning -
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."


    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Where I'm meant to be
    Posts
    761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    Does her character getting a lot of backlash mean this for her?
    I wouldn't think so. Iris seemed to be very popular, and a cameo could come in due time. I'd be patient and see what happens later.

    Remember that nothing "guarantees" a cameo. Just because she was an Ash companion before doesn't mean she is obliged to return to the anime, even as a cameo.

  4. #4

    Default

    Iris was very popular with the Japanese female fanbase from what I've heard so she's definitely making an appearance especially if XY ends sometime in 2017. XY is not over yet.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDragonfangirl View Post
    We are nearly almost over with this XY series
    What in the world makes you say that

    It still has at least, oh...a little over 8 or 9 months to go. Almost two years at most.

    That's still plenty of for her to pop up for a few episodes for whatever reason.

    That said, it IS looking suspicious. If she appears, she'll have appeared later than the other girls did when they came back.

    Also, XY has broken tradition in several areas already, so it might not be a stretch to say they'll skip bringing back the Female Companion this time while they're at it.

    And, well...I get this funny feeling the producers might not want to bring her back thanks to her being the least(?) popular girl, from the least popular series...

    Though I can see her appearing in an episode with Drasna; or something involving Dragons vs. Fairies (Like a battle with Serena & Slyveon and/or Bonnie & Dedene. Or a battle with Valerie if she's bold enough)
    Last edited by Jangobadass; 28th December 2015 at 8:30 PM.
    *gets on knees*

    Oh Arceus in your dimension, please let Missingno return to freak out a new generation!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Celebrating Pokémon's 20th
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    IIRC none of the other girls reappeared in the following sagas this late. Iris also got her own special episode. I don't think she's coming back, but if she does, it'll likely be during a post-league arc.
    Dawn appeared in Unova during the Pokemon World Tournament arc, which was after Ash earned his eighth gym badge. As Ash is only at seven right now in Kalos it's not later than all others.

    Regardless, I could see them cutting her cameo due to the combined factors of the poor reception of Unova and a general trend of not following traditions since Unova started. But there's no reason to assume she won't appear at this point. Personally, I did not like Iris at all, but still it would be a shame for her not to get a cameo.

    Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

    Also, for news, reviews, info on Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website. Come and join us for 20th Anniversary festivities, they've already begun!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    U.K Wales
    Posts
    1,751

    Default

    Bguy7 sums up the answer for this.
    Misty and May both appeared quite early on in the series in terms of story, where as Dawn didn't return until Ash had obtained his 8th badge. So Iris could appear at any moment. Like Dawn she had a special at the start of the current series so the wait doesn't seem so long and we get an idea what she's up too.
    Its not too late at all for Iris to appear so just keep waiting.
    Sig deleted by Hydrohs. Read the sig rules.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town!
    Posts
    4,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    Dawn appeared in Unova during the Pokemon World Tournament arc, which was after Ash earned his eighth gym badge. As Ash is only at seven right now in Kalos it's not later than all others.
    I was referring to episode count. BW was faster-paced than XY.
    "It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...And then one fine morning -
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."


    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Where all are equal
    Posts
    4,374

    Default

    I wouldnt be surprised if they actually decided to to skip Iris' cameo.

    Wouldnt be the first or last time XY wasted a ton of potential for no reason other than incompetence.
    Last edited by phanpycross; 28th December 2015 at 7:37 PM.

  10. #10

    Default

    lol sour grapes

    She is not appearing this arc at least but I would wait until next year. If she doesn't comes back then the writers just skipped her.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    603

    Default

    Maybe they're saving Iris cameo when drasna makes her debut.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    726

    Default

    IMO, Iris was the second best female character they ever had, so to not include her because of a bunch of silly fanboys and girls who hate on her because she dared to question Ash would be silly. Besides, I hardly think Japanese animators care all that much about what American fans think. Perhaps when Pokemon was in its hay day, but not now.


    Quote Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
    Does Dawn own Misty? Yes she does!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Lively Town
    Posts
    10,537

    Default

    They should subvert our expectations and have the dude come visit.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Celebrating Pokémon's 20th
    Posts
    1,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    I was referring to episode count. BW was faster-paced than XY.
    Hmm...I hadn't realized that. I would think that the relative position in the series (so as determined by Ash's progress) matters more. Even if it doesn't, there's really no reason why she couldn't appear later than anyone previously.

    Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

    Also, for news, reviews, info on Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website. Come and join us for 20th Anniversary festivities, they've already begun!

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    They should subvert our expectations and have the dude come visit.
    That WOULD be pretty interesting. Ever since that Showcase episode with showed they have Connoisseurs in Kalos I thought that opened the door for him.

    Also, he could challenge Siebold to an epic cook off!
    *gets on knees*

    Oh Arceus in your dimension, please let Missingno return to freak out a new generation!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Usa
    Posts
    3,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chalkus View Post
    IMO, Iris was the second best female character they ever had, so to not include her because of a bunch of silly fanboys and girls who hate on her because she dared to question Ash would be silly. Besides, I hardly think Japanese animators care all that much about what American fans think. Perhaps when Pokemon was in its hay day, but not now.
    I don't dislike Iris myself so I have no problem with her showing up. I think she should show up again when the kalos league ends tho if there's an arc afterward. ^^

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    60

    Default

    These numbers might be a bit off (not sure how reliable Bulbapedia tends to be on this sort of thing) but here's a quick summary:

    Misty left in Gotta Catch Ya Later (episode 273) and returned in The Princess and the Togepi (episode 318).

    May left in Home is Where the Start Is (episode 466) and appeared again in Our Cup Runneth Over (episode 541)

    Dawn left in Memories are Made of Bliss (episode 657) and returned in Piplup, Pansage, and a Meeting of the Times (episode 743)

    Iris left in Best Wishes Until We Meet Again (episode 798*)
    *Blimey this show is long.

    The most recently aired episode is Z's Explosive Birth! What Lurks in Kalos at #892.

    Misty 45
    May 75
    Dawn 86

    I don't know if Iris will return or not but if she does, she'll have the longest gap between departing and leaving. OTOH, the number of episodes gets larger with each character.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    462

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tommytoe View Post
    *Blimey this show is long.
    I personally suggest counting each saga as it's own series (OS25, AG58, DP163, etc.). Makes it easier to digest and keep up with.

    Heck, I think that's kind of the point.

    OTOH, the number of episodes gets larger with each character.
    Good point. She could very well appear after the Snowbelle badge during the gap between it and the League like Dawn did. She could even appear AFTER the Kalos League for all we know... :-/

    Though the real trick is her appearing without it feeling forced or unnatural.

    In AG, Misty's appearance in the Mirage Kingdom 2-parter was somewhat forced (but cool), with her guest stint in the Battle Frontier being a more natural. Arceus knows it was one of the precious few times the producers remembered "Oh yeah, we're in Kanto again!".

    May's guest stint in DP made sense with her career as a coordinator taking her to something like the Wallace Cup, and it was well handled. (A pity Drew and Harley didn't get to tag along, but that might've been a stretch)

    On the flip side, Dawn's guest stint in BW was forced, fairly unnecessary/pointless, and she didn't do much. One of several acts of desperation, IMHO.

    So hopefully they're just waiting for the right time to bring Iris back when it feels natural to the overall plot.
    Guess we'll find out over time...
    Last edited by Jangobadass; 14th January 2016 at 12:39 AM.
    *gets on knees*

    Oh Arceus in your dimension, please let Missingno return to freak out a new generation!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town!
    Posts
    4,470

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jangobadass View Post
    So hopefully they're waiting for the right time to bring Iris back when it feels natural to the overall plot.
    Guess we'll find out over time...
    So more or less when Drasna or Zinnia appears in the show.
    "It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther...And then one fine morning -
    So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."


    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ?
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    Every gen has had a previous main girl get at least one re-appearance. So probably yes.
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:
    Trade: Sylveon

    Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

    Latest shiny: Omanyte(40 SR!)

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    10

    Default

    BW was erased from the the anime history books.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    11

    Default

    I hope it'll be soon I really wanna see Misty in Kalos!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    ?
    Posts
    2,894

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shizumania View Post
    I hope it'll be soon I really wanna see Misty in Kalos!
    We already saw her in Hoenn. None of the old girls have appeared in two other generations after their leave. That being said...this IS the 20th anniversary. Misty could re-appear as part of that anniversary
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:
    Trade: Sylveon

    Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

    Latest shiny: Omanyte(40 SR!)

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,315

    Default

    At this point I wouldn't hold my breath and guarantee with 100% certainty that Iris will appear in Kalos. If this question was asked at very beginning of Kalos series I would say yes, but now after 2 years and more than 3 months,. As well passing more than 100 episodes of current XY saga future for Iris character in getting obligatory follow up and recognition is in least hand unclear. Because it has never passed this much ever since replaced female protagonist from previous saga returned for subsequent series for couple of episodes.

    Misty returned after a bit more than 10 months and 44 episodes in Hoenn after she was replaced.
    May came back after roughly 1 year and 7 months or translated through episode count. After 77 episodes for her one follow up appearance.
    Dawn returned after around 1 year, 9 months and give or take 85 episodes.

    With Iris setting up new record in how much time it has passed ever since ,main girl was replaced and received cameo. Notice how with each new girl that gap between leaving and coming back only gets even larger?

    So in theory there is still time and several plots through which Iris return in Kalos saga could be justified.
    Such as:
        Spoiler:- potential ideas for Iris return:


    But clock is ticking with each passing episode raiding up valid concerns among people if writers will even bring Iris back at all?

    However one thing is for sure; if this happens and im completely against break of this tradition; it wouldn't happen because of potential lack of popularity and support surrounding Iris character as some already brought up in this thread. Because even if this was true it would not make any difference, since we already saw several anything but highly popular characters returning several times after their debut. Such as Tracey, Ritchie, Casey, Magicarp salesman, Butch and Cassidy etc, etc. With their popularity status and following not affecting whether they would be brought back or not.

    No, if Iris doesn't return it will be pretty much because of writers just not caring. Because based on writers lack of care and disrespect showed toward past main characters, pokemon anime continuity and legacy it wouldn't surprise me in slightest if they all around break tradition of giving replaced female companions even that one follow up cameo before fading away forever in oblivion thanks to unneeded and excessive cast replacing. Starting with current XY saga and Iris character unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    We already saw her in Hoenn. None of the old girls have appeared in two other generations after their leave. That being said...this IS the 20th anniversary. Misty could re-appear as part of that anniversary
    That happened more than 10 years ago. Im fairly certain that most people who ever liked Misty are anything but satisfied with way how writers marginalized her importance and abandoned her completely in this anime. That being said ever since I joined this site I was one of biggest advocators for Misty returning back to main cast and I still think this would be good idea.

    Feeling show had more humor, tension, variety of interactions and lot of colorful emotions springing between characters thanks to depth and liveliness of her persona. As well having as character several unfinished things and potential worth in exploring her story further(becoming water master is one of them with E4 Siebold from Kalos ironically enough carrying such title in games).
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 6th February 2016 at 1:10 PM.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Until now it was always in the second dub season.
    So I don't know, really.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •