Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How would you handle time in the anime?

Default How would you handle time in the anime?

Would you keep at the same pace as it always has been (Ash remains 10), or would you have him age? If so by how much?

In Origins, Red states that it's been about a week since he started his journey once he gets to Pewter City Gym. If we're going by this logic, it would only take 2 months to get all 8 badges; estimating it with all of the side stuff, the journey in Kanto could have been completed in about 4 months in-universe time.

Here's how I would handle the essence of time in the anime:

So it starts off with Ash turning 10.
    Kanto - 4 Months
    Orange Islands- 2 Months
    Johto - 6 Months (So now he's 11)
    Hoenn - 5 Months
    Battle Frontier - 3 Months
    Sinnoh - 7 Months (He turns 12 within this saga)
    1 Month Time-Skip
    Unova - 5 Months
    Decorola Islands - 1 Month
    Kalos - 6 Months (He turns 13 within this saga)

I would keep Ash as a kid and give him minor alterations in physical appearance; making him slightly taller and leaner as the series progressed, but still maintaining that overall child appearance.
    Last edited by Dwight; 22nd September 2016 at 9:28 AM.

Obviously it was never explicitly stated, but as FulgoreX said above, I always assumed that there was kind of a natural time progression until it was blown out of the water at the start of the BW series.

As it turned out, I was completely wrong, but I always assumed that each "main" series (Kanto, Johto, Hoenn & Sinnoh) took around a year, with the more "minor" series (Orange Island, Kanto BF) taking a matter of months. This would've made him around 14/ 15 by the time he rocked up in Unova.
    Having traveled through the Kanto (x2), Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos regions, plus the Orange & Decolore Islands, competing in six regional Pokémon League competitions, winning the Orange League, defeating the Kanto Battle Frontier, seeing/ meeting each of the rare and powerful Legendary/ Mythical Pokémon, some on numerous occasions, and continually fighting vigilantly against six villainous teams, Ash has apparently now decided to go to school.

The anime is a long advert targeted at whoever the newest generation of Pokemon fans may be, so they've intentionally made it "timeless", hence the general lack of mentions of time elapsing in the series since the OS.

"Longer term" fans who have stuck around are just an added bonus.
    Having traveled through the Kanto (x2), Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos regions, plus the Orange & Decolore Islands, competing in six regional Pokémon League competitions, winning the Orange League, defeating the Kanto Battle Frontier, seeing/ meeting each of the rare and powerful Legendary/ Mythical Pokémon, some on numerous occasions, and continually fighting vigilantly against six villainous teams, Ash has apparently now decided to go to school.

They're gonna have to end his story at some point, perhaps when Rika Matsumoto retires or the anime gets cancelled for whatever reason; which is why time could play a vital role in the story, and it doesn't even need to happen at a rapid rate. Just look at One Piece, over 500 episodes took place in the span of less than a year in-universe time.

Kanto-Ash is 10 years old
    Orange Islands-Ash is 10.2 years old
    Johto-Ash is 10.5 years old
    Hoenn-Ash is 11 years old
    Battle Frontier-Ash is 11.2 years old
    Sinnoh-Ash is 12 years old
    Unova-N/A
    Kalos-Ash is 13 years old

I wouldn't handle time in the anime much differently if I had a say in things. Sure I might age Ash by a year at the least, but that's just cuz the Pichu brothers short implied that Ash had turned eleven and I'd want to keep the timeline consistent. ^^

The show has literally stated time passing multiple times. Ash was 10 years, 10 months, and 10 days old when he started on his journey. He had to wait like three months before he could compete in the Indigo League (I think it was that one at least). Thus he became eleven. Then in Johto he celebrated his and Pikachu's meeting anniversary, so he was 12 then. In Hoenn, a brief scene had him mentioning that it was the day he met Pikachu yet again making him 13. In Sinnoh there was a special where somebody mentioned that it had been a year since the Sinnoh journey started making Ash 14 at that point. But then BW decided to completely ignore all that for whatever reason and keep him at 10...(how he's been doing all this crap in the span of less than two months is beyond me though...) But that's pretty much how I would handle it, just keeping in line with the timeline that the show itself had literally set up. Though considering a year had passed through each region, I would apply that to BW and XY as well. Thus making him 15 in BW, and 16 in XY.

Also I really don't get the "If Ash ages, it won't appeal to kids" excuse...Goku, Naruto, and Yugi sure as heck didn't seem to have that problem...
    Last edited by XY Rules; 24th September 2016 at 7:48 PM.
    Check out my original story: Forbidden Book
    http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3163587/1/Forbidden-Book

[IMG]http://sngk.net/upioUz/img1[/IMG]
    A Saga of pain, love, and revenge

I'd make it so that Satoshi spends a year in each region, so he'd have aged a lot by now. I'm not one of those people who wants Satoshi to get older per se, but the fact that he looks relatively the same throughout the years bugs me somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by datdimfb View Post
    I'm not one of those people who wants Satoshi to get older per se, but the fact that he looks relatively the same throughout the years bugs me somewhat.
    At least his design has changed a bit like when Best Wishes started since his eyes got brighter, plus when X&Y began his hair looked different as if it had grown. The latter might imply that time does go by in the show, just not as fast as in real life. :]

I'd start by having it exist

Who cares, it's a cartoon. Summer, spring, winter, and fall happened in all of Dawn's character endings. If anything, I treat time as whenever they start announcing it.
    ~Certified Alan & Mimikyu Apologist~
    Pikachu deserves the main character treatment he rightfully earned!

(Credit goes to Satomine Night)
    The enigmatic Bookworm & insightful Daydreamer:
    One prefers to keep to the sidelines out of danger, the other doesn't pay enough attention to sense the danger around her. Mao thrives in the face of chaos! Lillie shines in an organized setting.
    -Mao-Lillie friendship duo
    -Suiren: Full time big sister, part time kickasser, recommended for more screentime
    -Lillie will be Prof Kukui's live in assistant & bond with a lost Alolan Vulpix by chance
    -Ash will get character development and strives to be the best Ash like no Ash ever was...

I'd make it so that he's 11 by the end of Johto, and 12 by the end of Sinnoh.
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

Quote Originally Posted by Hungry Hungry Hypno View Post
    I'd start by having it exist
    The flow of time does exist in the show however since we know that months can pass as we saw during Ash's break before the Indigo league for example, unless the passage of time was only mentioned in the dub.

Pretty much what's been said already:

Kanto: 1 year
    Orange Islands: 6 Months
    Jotho: 1 year, 6 months
    Hoenn: 1 Year
    Battle Frontier: 6 months
    Sinnoh: 1 year, 6 months
    Unova (until league): 1 Year
    Unova (N/Plasma Arc + Decolore Islands) 6 months
    Kalos: 1 year.

About eight and a half years total.

But, of course, as we all know, time actually means nothing and Ash, like Bart Simpson, shall forever more be 10.
    Unova Memories
    Thanks Guys!

Time passes but no one ages.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    Time passes but no one ages.
    If that's the case then Ash should have stayed the way he was back in AG in terms of personality but still get better as a trainer.

Quote Originally Posted by PokemonBattleFanatic- View Post
    If that's the case then Ash should have stayed the way he was back in AG in terms of personality but still get better as a trainer.
    Maturity comes from experience rather than age. There's a reason people act suspicious with children when they display knowledge they aren't suppose to know. That, and it's a sign of an abusive household.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

In a perfect world, sure. But the writers just don't give a damn about moving Ash forward and they want to keep him as dim as possible.

Maturity comes from experience rather than age. There's a reason people act suspicious with children when they display knowledge they aren't suppose to know. That, and it's a sign of an abusive household.
    Ash had plenty of experience in AG but if you're gonna say that he never aged passed 10 then he was better off staying the way he was in AG because he was the most balanced.

Ash had plenty of experience in AG but if you're gonna say that he never aged passed 10 then he was better off staying the way he was in AG because he was the most balanced.
    And I agree with you.

"Momentai!"

Based on the idea that 120 episodes equals a year.

Kanto- 8 months

OI- 3 months

Johto- 1 year 4 months

Hoenn- 1 year

Battle Frontier- 6 months

Sinnoh- 1 year 9 months

Unova- 1 year 2 months

Kalos- 1 year 2 months
    I love thy username

3DS Friend Code: I'll remember once "insert new game" is out

Maturity comes from experience rather than age.
    Normally yea, but that wasn't exactly the case in Best Wishes since even with Ash's accumulated experience from four major regions, he ended up being kind of immature in Unova. It might've just been an anomaly, but it further proved that even experience can mean nothing in the anime. :[

i mean for all we know the length of a year in the pokemon world could be many times longer than it is on earth

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    The flow of time does exist in the show however since we know that months can pass as we saw during Ash's break before the Indigo league for example, unless the passage of time was only mentioned in the dub.
    A consistent and logical flow of time would be nice
    Favorite Generation: V
    Favorite Pokemon per generation:
    Favorite type: Water
    Favorite team: Plasma
    First shiny: (search) (random) Beast Trio (event), (SR) (Trade) (Chain)

I believe they are having ash finally turn 11 in Alola because in the Demo a man says when you turn 11 you can participate in the local rite of passage the island challenge, so id Ash wants to compete hes 11 i hope they continue to progress his age after. Before BW ruined i always thought it was a about a 7 to 8 months a region.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast