Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why doesn't Ash have any female rivals?

Default Why doesn't Ash have any female rivals?

So... yeah, it's supposed to be a shonen and all, but restricting females who battle Ash to only gym leaders is discriminatory and disappointing at the same time.

I mean when was the last time Ash had a female league rival? It was all the way back in Hoenn. I mean seriously?

Also, if you look at the champions of each league, you'll notice that all of them are guys as well. No girl ever made it even to the semis.

Girls are all doing showcases/Contests or are in the kitchen.

or both.

I mean they could add one anytime. They just chose not to yet. SM seems to be a good opportunity to do so.

Can we have Blue/Leaf as a rival please? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Girls are all doing showcases/Contests or are in the kitchen.

or both.
    I wasn't talking about Ash's travelling companions. I was talking about people he meets on his journey. So far it's been only guys.

Also, actually guys are in the kitchen - Brock, Cilan, Clemont. Serena did some baking, though.

Good God damn question. Please SM give us a female rival who's actually competent and skillful

Was Bianca a rival or not? She clearly doesn't count as one. Anyway LizardonX already answered the question. Girls do Contest or non-contest. And even if they did make a female rival she'd just lose to Ash anyway. Why is that so important? I'd rather a competent strong battle female sidekick who can actually fight for herself as opposed to making a strong female rival who's only purpose is to just lose to Ash like all the male rivals. What's the difference beyond a shipping?
    RIP anime version of Glovehead. Pokemon Adventures will save you.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    Was Bianca a rival or not? She clearly doesn't count as one. Anyway LizardonX already answered the question. Girls do Contest or non-contest. And even if they did make a female rival she'd just lose to Ash anyway. Why is that so important? I'd rather a competent strong battle female sidekick who can actually fight for herself as opposed to making a strong female rival who's only purpose is to just lose to Ash like all the male rivals. What's the difference beyond a shipping?
    Bianca was sort of a rival, but not really at the same time. Also, I was really disappointed that Ash didn't face her in the league.

Then why not make a girl who would defeat Ash? Or at least fight to the end in a close match. Like I said, Hoenn, Katie was the last female rival he had and she was quite good, especially in the first part of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Soniman View Post
    Good God damn question. Please SM give us a female rival who's actually competent and skillful
    Yes, please.

Casey was set up to be Ash's rival when he was in Johto, but she showed up only three times the whole saga, and the episodes were further apart each time. Who knows if she would've made for a good rival, and she was honestly annoying whenever she was on-screen (probably because of her voice actress), but it was at least something because Gary didn't really show up in Johto until the Silver League. Were there other opportunities for Ash to have a female rival? Absolutely, but it appears that ever since coordinators were introduced, you only saw female rivals there toward the female lead--since Dawn. May had Drew and Harley as her rivals the most, and there were a couple of female rivals, but they didn't show up after their respective episodes were done with.

I always feel like Misty had potential to be a rival to Ash and not just because they bickered with each other, or even because of her bike. They have the qualities for a rivalry, and they sometimes squared off against each other before they both competed in the Whirl Islands, but it wasn't to the extent of Ash and Gary's rivalry. Which... okay, friendly rivalry is fine and all, but I dunno, it would've probably done more to Misty's character if they were rivals while still being on friendly terms (kind of like how May and Drew's rivalry became). Ash went on to be mentors to his female companions except Iris, so we never got to that point.

I unfortunately don't see this becoming a thing in SM, but I suppose we'll have to wait and see.
    Winner of Best Non-Pokémon Fic of 2015 in the Shipping Oscars
    Forsaken: Chapter 20 - 11/17/14 / Encryption: Chapter 8 - 3/10/16 / Handle with Care: Chapter 10 - 3/17/14

It is possible for Alola but don't know at the moment. Not many female trainers aside from gym leaders, elite 4 and champion that could be considered a rival to Ash. Anything is possible though.

I have no idea, and it really kinda stunk this generation that Ash didn't have one because I could've finally found myself an Ash OTP that isn't a nevermet. I would have liked Shauna to be one of his rivals too.
    It's not a good idea to get too emotionally invested in the repetitive 20-year-old commercial that markets the Pokemon games. Be invested in the actual Pokemon games instead!

There was Casey and Bianca. Unless you meant a non-friendly rivarly. But yeah, I would defintely like to see a main female rival for Ash as well. Sun and Moon might do it, but I still have my doubts honestly. If you think of it like that BW had a lot of similarities to OS and XY has a lot of similarities to AG (i.e. four member group, sibling pair, no rivals up until the league, etc.) but with some role reversals (May/Max were sister/brother and Clemont/Bonnie are brother/sister, Bonnie being the one to get women for Clemont for and him pulling her away like how Max pulled Brock away) we might be getting a jerk female rival to draw similarities from DP next, but we will see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Were there other opportunities for Ash to have a female rival? Absolutely, but it appears that ever since coordinators were introduced, you only saw female rivals there toward the female lead--since Dawn. May had Drew and Harley as her rivals the most, and there were a couple of female rivals, but they didn't show up after their respective episodes were done with.
    Dawn had Kenny and Nando actually.
    Last edited by XY Rules; 10th August 2016 at 11:48 PM.
    Check out my original story: Forbidden Book
    http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3163587/1/Forbidden-Book

[IMG]http://sngk.net/upioUz/img1[/IMG]
    A Saga of pain, love, and revenge

Because god forbid a female rival indirectly makes him understand love at last.

~ "As long as it has a flavor, I like any kind of food!" ~

Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Phantom Brave: We Meet Again

Maybe Pokemon was afraid of the writers added a rival that Ash pairing would be more popular than Ash X Serena pairing and cause more issues for them. Than again, that doesn't explain the past few series, I can't think of a reason.

Angie from D/P would have made a good female rival for Ash, too bad she turned out to be a love intrest instead.
    A close family member of mine died today, I put this in my sign as respect for him

Ash fan. Luffy fan. Gintoki fan-Gintama. Endou fan-Inazuma Eleven.
    Multi Luffy {One Piece} and Ash {Pokemon} Shippers.

Too much pent-up sexual tension obviously.
    Thank you FairyWitch for the artwork!

Tends to be an ongoing trend in most anime/manga targetted towards kids; typically the rival of the Protagonist is the same gender.

The anime dabbled with it with Casey, who got completely lost in the shuffle, and Bianca, who was in a gen overstuffed with rivals.

Katie was arguably the most skilled female opponent Ash ever faced in a League, but even then, she got way less focus than Morrison and Tyson.
    Last edited by crimson_echidna; 11th August 2016 at 8:02 PM.
    Top 10 Favorite Mons:

Because the writers want to teach kids conservative gender roles. There's your aesop, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegiscalibur View Post
    Because the writers want to teach kids conservative gender roles. There's your aesop, folks.
    Girls have cooties, man.

~ "As long as it has a flavor, I like any kind of food!" ~

Wii U: AuraGuyChris
    Youtube Channel - Phantom Brave: We Meet Again

They are unpopular for the target demographic of Japan.

So nope, it won't happen. Japanese values kinda close this.
    Discussions on forums are always serious business :3

Party Hard
    Fc Ixchen: 0559-7194-5664

That's what I would like to know!

Personally, one of the most memorable matches in the entire Hoenn series was the battle against Katie. She had no real reason to be there, but she was, and she was strong, competent and certainly gave Ash a run for his money.

I had real high hopes for Astrid's appearance at the Kalos League - I was hoping they'd bring back her Mega Absol, Pyroar and Meowstic, add in Granbull, Dragalge and Chesnaught for good measure and remind us all that girls don't have to be gym leaders in order to be good trainers. Sadly, I wish for too much.
    Hoenn Memories

Thanks Guys!

Quote Originally Posted by AuraChannelerChris View Post
    Because god forbid a female rival indirectly makes him understand love at last.
    THIS. Another ship to my arsenal of favorite ships if they do give a female rival for Ash.

Credits To Sworn Metalhead For The Awesome Banner

I wish that would happen. But it won't.
    「M O N S T R O C K E R 」
    ► Monstrocker's shipping list
    ► DEVIANTART

Because this is Japan, they aren't popular if they aren't part of the games, no one wants to see the vanilla MC getting creamed by a girl in Japan unless she is into dominance.

So not happening anytime soon.

Who necroed this? I thought it was locked?
    Discussions on forums are always serious business :3

Party Hard
    Fc Ixchen: 0559-7194-5664

Because Cynthia equates more man-power than all the male rivals combined.
    -
    [IMG]http://i44.*******.com/9i9zxi.gif[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.*******.com/j8faqd.png[/IMG]
    * Credit to pokefan#493

Bianca is a female rival to Ash.

There was also Katharine, who was friendly, but she had an episode and then we shall review only the figuration in the Unova League...

But for me the worst case remains Casey... This is the first Ash Female Rival's... She was cool... And it's not even gone to the league... To be replaced by an ugly girl fan of Fire Pokémon... The only flaw that I will give to the Johto League ...
    I'm French, so I apologize in advance for my writing's mistakes in English. ^^

For me, AG is the best anime's period.

Quest Team Pokémon X : Hawlucha, Gardevoir Shiny, Blastoise, Gogoat, Tyrantrum and Delphox

Quest Team Pokémon Alpha Sapphire : Ninjask, Altaria, Azumarill, Sharpedo, Glalie and Blaziken

Quest Team Pokémon Blue : Nidoking, Pidgeot, Dewgong, Hitmonlee, Aerodactyl and Jotleon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast