Thread: My Harley Has Narcissistic Personality Disorder Theory: Sequel

Default My Harley Has Narcissistic Personality Disorder Theory: Sequel

My Harley Has Narcissistic Personality Disorder Theory

I posted this on bulbagarden's forums. I thought it would be good fun here.

I'm also putting off my homework. ...at 12:01 AM...

"
    I think Harley, from the anime, has Narcissistic PersonalityDisorder, or NPD for short.

The evidence:

He must have at least five of these symptoms to be considered for the illness, although granted a more in-depth psychological question inquiry (I think that's the phrase) is used to actually determine if someone has a mental/personality disorder, but we can't just walk up to Harley and ask him questions about his life, you know.

1. Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
    He always expects to be revered for his achievements, even if he messes up or just flat out loses, as he often does in battles.

2. Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
    Well, he is a Pokemon Coordinator, and a pretty determined one at that, so you can't say he's not obsessed with power or beauty. As for love, I have no idea. He does however have a preoccupation with success however. As he said during the Kanto Grand Festival, Japanese Version (the English dub changed the script) "The Grand Festival Cup (or whatever the cup's name is) will be mine!" And let us not forget how he taunts Drew about beating him in battle afterwards.

3. Believes that he or she is “special”and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
    He believes he is special; all around beautiful, talented, amazing, superb, etc.He likes to be with talented coordinators, like Drew and Jesse(bella) before Harley decided she wasn't a good coordinator. He also likes other talented people such as Norman and Nurse Joy.

4. Requires excessive admiration
    Well, there was that incident with the cookies (although in my opinion I think Harley thought May really WAS TRYING to insult him, but others might disagree). And let us not forget that we should shower Harley with complements, because he is great and supremely talented, and such.

5. Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
    Again, if you insult Harley, someone’s gonna get hurt real bad, and it’s gonna be you.

6. Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantageof others to achieve his or her own ends
    Those times he lied to May so she would either lose the contest or get disqualified from it entirely. Or when he used Team Rocket to defeat May in a contest and in return he promised he’d help them steal May’s Pokémon [although whether he actually meant that promise or not is up to fan interpretation, one could infer that because he stopped right when the twerps showed up and said that he’d rather have his Pokémon defeat May in battle instead (there’s that over-whelming, undeserved confidence again) that he was just bluffing].

7. Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
    Depends on the situation. Of course he’d be empathetic to the feelings of both his Pokémon and others’ as well. He’s even shown slight empathy to May, giving her small pep-talks before a battle (“just stay calm and keep the powder dry”), if only to give her a false sense of security or mess with her mind. For the most part however, he’s absolutely apathetic, possibly sadistic, to May. To Drew, he has insulted him at least twice, the third episode he showed up in, and the Grand Festival, and he absolutely loved (he was smiling with a big grin and LAUGHING) when Drew told May that he wasn’t weak like her and broke May’s feelings. It’s not shown if he reacts this way to all people or just those he picks on.

8. Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
    He envies that May wins all the time. Does he just blow off a loss and wait for the next contest? NOOOOO!!!! He gets REVENGE!!! I’m not quite sure if he thinks others are envious of him, though it wouldn’t be much of a stretch. ...Wait, I remember he said something like: “Oh, you’re just jealous because I...” I forgot the rest. (It was from the first episode he was in, I think.)

9. Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

It’s time to break out the quotes.

“If you’re gonna be throwing the word adorable around, you better be talking about YOURS TRULY!!”

“So what? It’s a competition, right?”

*bumps into May* “Move!”

“AUUGGGHHHH!!!! Stupid contest must have been RIGGED SOMEHOW!!!”

In addition to this, I read that some people with NPD have some trauma or just a way they were raise that caused their disorder,specifically a parent that either praises them too much, or on the contrary, a parent that constantly puts their child down. It should be noted that not all NPD people have specific trauma, and sometimes it’s passed down from generation to generation (whether it’s genetic or not is unknown). We know absolutely nothing about Harley’s family. However, I would like to propose that it’s not only how your family that treats you, but anyone that’s important in your life.I would like to propose that Harley was bullied when he was younger, with children often calling him bad names. I take this from the line “Lunch time was supposed to be my happy time, a time when the pressures of school, a time when all those obnoxious kiddy-poos would lay off my back, ever so briefly.”, from the part when he flashbacks to the time a girl took his last snack.

I’ve read numerous articles from the internet, and I got the symptoms from this website: Narcissistic Personality Disorder Symptoms | Psych Central https://psychcentral.com/disorders/n...rder-symptoms/
    I’ve also read about other disorders, and I ruled out: antisocial (sociopathic) personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, histrionic personality disorder, and sadistic personality disorder (because it stopped being in the DSM from DSM III on).

I’ll let others decide for themselves if he has the disorder or not. Feel free to discuss."

Disadvantages/cons:
    As someone mentioned on the other thread, diagnosing a fictional character with a mental illness is making a Mickey out of- making fun of- the mental institution as a whole. I do not agree with this position, but I thought I'd mention it anyways.

We do not know Harley's life.

Harley is emotionally sound. His self-esteem is just fine. Or maybe it isn't. I don't know.

Harley is a jerk.
    Last edited by jnshucker12; 22nd March 2017 at 4:36 PM. Reason: add link

Just call me if you need me.
    '"Go spend some time that you could be using to contribute nothing to society, and/or not be productive." -A You-tuber'
    Burgh's gym. Hidden easter egg.

As long as you acknowledge that this is a kid's TV show and "your" Harley is, in fact, a fictional character...
    Having traveled through the Kanto (x2), Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos regions, plus the Orange & Decolore Islands, competing in six regional Pokémon League competitions, winning the Orange League, defeating the Kanto Battle Frontier, seeing/ meeting each of the rare and powerful Legendary/ Mythical Pokémon, some on numerous occasions, and continually fighting vigilantly against six villainous teams, Ash has apparently now decided to go to school.

Lol. It's "My theory" not "My Harley." But I assume you're just messing with me. Or screwed up reading. (I do love Harley though.)

Just call me if you need me.
    '"Go spend some time that you could be using to contribute nothing to society, and/or not be productive." -A You-tuber'
    Burgh's gym. Hidden easter egg.