Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you feel about Mega Evolution in the anime?

Default How do you feel about Mega Evolution in the anime?

GenVI introduced this new evolution mechanism, and of course that the anime based on the game has no reason not to utilize this new gimmick in its story-writing.

So, I wanted to know, how everybody feels about the utilization of Mega Evolution in the anime? Not only limited to The ME Special, but also the main TV series, movies and short OVA anime. Do you think they do it nicely/badly? Do you think they do it justly/incorrectly? Do you think there is any improvement need to be done?

I included AshGreninja in this discussion as well as it was always associated with ME by Alain and the staff despite that it is not exactly one, so technically speaking it is ME "by half".

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal view towards ME in anime is, of course it still has tons of places need to improve, but nonetheless it is not bad for the moment, at least for the first try as this is still something new.
    But, I do not mean it is good then, it is merely just passed my qualification mark. I like it that the anime limited ME to selected strong trainers and characters of authorities, and some other characters that are relevant to the previous ones. However, I do not like it that whenever they use it, they will abuse it, especially in such a large amount where that is no more needed for story, but simply for marketing, especially it just thrust down our throat by wholesaling!

Currently, I still have a mixed feeling towards Sawyer's MegaSceptile. I don't does he worth this ME or not. I probably leaning more towards negative because he doesn't seems like such a "special character" to me.

And then about AshGreninja...... Oh this one I have tons of word to say, so it is better to see my thought in this thread.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこに始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち

My main issue with Mega Evolution in the anime is the battles between Mega Evolved Pokemon.

They're essentially reduced to mindless "power struggle" where all opponents do is unleash powerful attacks at one another creating explosions and then unleashing even more attacks which collide in hopes that one will overpower the other and hit the opponent. There is zero strategy involved and it all comes down to 'attack, attack, attack'.

It's gotten the anime more epic I do think that and that's cool. For a show that's been going on since before I was even born to change things up a bit and make it more lively I think really shows the strength and power of the Pokemon franchise as a whole.

Credit to the amazing American--Pi

Quote Originally Posted by Janovy View Post
    My main issue with Mega Evolution in the anime is the battles between Mega Evolved Pokemon.

They're essentially reduced to mindless "power struggle" where all opponents do is unleash powerful attacks at one another creating explosions and then unleashing even more attacks which collide in hopes that one will overpower the other and hit the opponent. There is zero strategy involved and it all comes down to 'attack, attack, attack'.
    They have also been utilised a bit too much as a Deus Ex Machina at times. As if normal evolving hasn't played enough a part in the twerp's plot armour, we can now have some Mega Evolution come in and clean house. I'd just like some more power ups in the anime that require actual strategy and hard work than just some jackpot that trounces everything with no effort.

Quote Originally Posted by DatsRight View Post
    They have also been utilised a bit too much as a Deus Ex Machina at times. As if normal evolving hasn't played enough a part in the twerp's plot armour, we can now have some Mega Evolution come in and clean house. I'd just like some more power ups in the anime that require actual strategy and hard work than just some jackpot that trounces everything with no effort.
    You mean kinda like Alain Flamethrowers everything in his path? Yeah, I agree.

You mean kinda like Alain Flamethrowers everything in his path? Yeah, I agree.
    Did you forget that Mega Charizard Y's Dought power up Alain's Charizard's Flamethower. Also Alain's Charizard defeated 10 mega evolution prior to this tournament. It make it much more exprince in battle then other Pokemon that Teveor has.

It's fine I think, I would have like Ash with a mega evolution but Ash-Greninja makes up for it.

This pretty much. Im also hoping its just a 1 generation thing exclusive only to the XY series.

Hated it at first, didn't feel like Pokemon.
    Then it grew on me and I think it has been one of the nicest additions to both the anime and the games (or should I see, Showdown).

Oh yeah, that I can understand.

Especially in the past we always had battles of not only Ash but also many other people's NFE pokemons outwitting the FE pokemons using creative strategies and tactics. But when this ME gimmick had introduced, suddenly battle strategies and tactics where we always used in the past for winning are seems like not needed anymore. It just felt like the battle rule book and also the winning formula were rewritten by introducing this ME.

I admit it might be best to see how things play later on. This is the introductory series for Mega Evolutions, of course they're gonna over boost them. It's like how all new fighting types and evolutions are always milked when they first appear and then moderate to a more reasonable power level when the hype's over (remember how the Psychic types and legendary birds were elusive and unstoppable at the very start of the series?). Sun/Moon might downplay the light show with Mega Evolutions or even take a more complex turn in how they are used.

I like Mega Evolution. They give us some of the most visually appealing battles in the anime.

The mega evolution in anime seems fine by me. Only issue is regular pokemon beating mega evolved pokemon but the rest is fine.
    Dragon user - can counter Steel with Fire attacks and counter Fairy with Poison and Steel attacks.
    My Dragon gym leader/elite 4 and champion team - Mega Charizard X, Kingdra, Garchomp, Haxorus, Dragalge and Tyrantrum
    My legendary Dragon team - Mega Rayquaza, Black Kyurem, Latios with Soul Dew, Dialga, Palkia and Reshiram
    Currently waiting for Sun and Moon to come out.
    Now rooting for Ash Ketchum to win the pokemon league.
    Obtained shiny Latias on the 14/4/2016
    Private messages are restricted to contacts and mods. Vistior messages are available for everyone.
    Sorry for my annoying, improper and unprofessional posts everyone.
    I have Asperger Syndrome which makes it hard to socialize, make friends, date and communicate.

^ That reminds me about Korrina's story arc about her MegaLucario. Even today I still think her Lucario went berserk whenever ME until trained was from story plot planning POV unreasonable, as ME was always advertised as a power-up achieved by the bonds between the pokemon and its trainer, so when Korrina's Lucario had followed her since childhood hence by no mean their bond is weak or anything, I don't understand what caused her Lucario's ME so dangerous to the point of going rampage? If it is like something due to the instant increase in the "ME energy" in its body made it so sick that it can't control it, it also sounds very implausible, as Korrina is Gym Leader, a renowned trainer in town/city because of their strength, so it is impossible for her Lucario to be undertrained nor underleveled.

Other than Because The Plot Demands This Index, I don't see any reason behind it that can suspend my disbelief.

I kinda liked that stipulation since it shown being a good guy for once didn't automatically get you the jackpot power up. Korrina and Lucario had to learn to use it properly first. It was refreshing to show it wasn't just luck of the draw for a twerp to get a good Pokemon (eg. Sylveon evolving and getting the complete upper hand at JUST the right moment simply because Serena's kindness was a nice enough gesture to the cosmos), they had to actually work for it too.
    Last edited by DatsRight; 10th July 2016 at 6:45 PM.

I really like when major characters like Diantha, Korrina, Alain or even Professor Sycamore are actually shown to have a connection to their Mega Evolved Pokemon during their respective episodes. The games talk about the bond being important, but then ME doesn't actually require any level of friendship or affection (you could even have a Pokemon with low friendship Mega Evolve!). This is something that I think the anime gets right. I also love how the power of Mega Evolved Pokemon is clearly depicted in the attack animations. All of the moves look and feel like they have more impact, and the battles are visually pleasing.

But I don't like when Megas are used in a more trivial manner. Like the Hoopa movie, when Latios/Latias/Rayquaza all somehow Mega Evolved during the fight without Stones. Or in Pokemon Origins, when Mega/Key Stones were shoved into the Kanto narrative to push for upcoming games. Or the Mewtwo from BW who could just casually Mega Evolve. All to generate 'excitement!', even if it means breaking established canon.
    Last edited by Emperor Empoleon; 10th July 2016 at 7:33 PM.

I have always disliked Mega Evolution in any format. It started off as a glorified popularity contest for Pokemon. Oh look Charizard and Mewtwo have two Mega Evolutions. Pokemon that don't need Mega Evolution like Lucario, Garchomp, Salamence, Metagross and such got them anyway because they weren't overpowered enough. Anime wise I still dislike them, for the reasons Janovy stated. And I don't like this "strong bond creates Mega Evolution" nonsense either. It just singles out anyone who doesn't have a Mega Pokemon and make it seem like they don't have a strong bond with their Pokemon because apparently Mega Evolution is what becomes of it.

This is just my opinion and I know many will not agree but I detest Mega Evolution and the message it's sending in Pokemon. I hope it's a gen 6 gimmick that goes away.
    Parena or Serecham both equal Serena+Pancham! Sereevee or Serevee equals Serena+Eevee!

The good part about Megas is that they counter Knock Off.

...Oh wait, anime. Let's see, they are an excuse to make some pokes OP for no real reason, kind of the same they do with legendaries. No tactics; they are just nigh invincible. I'm looking at you, Alain...

I don't care too much about mega evolution in general, tho I liked how we saw Ash beat mega Lucario without using a mega pokemon himself cuz it shows that megas aren't that strong or invincible. I just wish Ash could've used a mega at one point even for just one episode since Kalos' strongest trainers have. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Aegiscalibur View Post
    The good part about Megas is that they counter Knock Off.

...Oh wait, anime. Let's see, they are an excuse to make some pokes OP for no real reason, kind of the same they do with legendaries. No tactics; they are just nigh invincible. I'm looking at you, Alain...
    That's like saying that Goku turns super saiyan for no reason. Did you miss the part about the Kalos war backstory with the mega stones being a by product of it?
    I don't see what's wrong with up-scaling the match,they are supposed to be powerful, and it's not like the anime had gotten rid of tactical battles altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Empoleon View Post
    But I don't like when Megas are used in a more trivial manner. Like the Hoopa movie, when Latios/Latias/Rayquaza all somehow Mega Evolved during the fight without Stones. Or in Pokemon Origins, when Mega/Key Stones were shoved into the Kanto narrative to push for upcoming games. Or the Mewtwo from BW who could just casually Mega Evolve. All to generate 'excitement!', even if it means breaking established canon.

The anime=/=games. In Smash Bros., Charizard and Lucario don't need their mega stones and a trainer to mega evolve at all. And in ORAS, Rayquaza can already mega evolve without a mega stone anyways. And I would hardly consider the use of Mega Evolution in Pokemon Origins a trivial matter, and considering that it has only like a minute of screen time it's not like it got in the way, so people tend to exaggerate how it got "pushed" for the sake of advertisement. Besides, it was a good way to end the battle with Mewtwo, would you have preferred Red to simply toss a master ball at it thus giving us an anti-climatic conclusion or Mewtwo defeated by regular Charizard thus undermining his power?

Quote Originally Posted by Platinum fan. View Post
    This is just my opinion and I know many will not agree but I detest Mega Evolution and the message it's sending in Pokemon. I hope it's a gen 6 gimmick that goes away.
    And I suppose that breeding for the perfect mon while discarding the lesser ones in the games was the right message? I don't understand why you are trying to make Megas seem like something amoral. It goes up there in the list of silly things people accuse pokemon of along with satanism. Also, it's not going away, GF never removes core mechanics.
    Last edited by Legendary Dragon; 11th July 2016 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary Dragon View Post
    That's like saying that Goku turns super saiyan for no reason. Did you miss the part about the Kalos war backstory with the mega stones being a by product of it?
    I don't see what's wrong with up-scaling the match,they are supposed to be powerful, and it's not like the anime had gotten rid of tactical battles altogether.
    What I mean is that there's no reason from the standpoint of good narrative (yeah, right) to make megas so OP that they are nigh invincible. That's just boring.

It's not like they just copied the games either. You can't just go onto Smogon ladder and flamethrower everything with your 'Zard-X. It doesn't work that way. So they used their artistic license in exactly the wrong way.
    Last edited by Aegiscalibur; 11th July 2016 at 9:52 PM.

Mega Evolution is a good concept and even more intense in the cartoon than in the games, but I would prefer if the one Mega per battle limit didn't exist.

Mega evolution in the anime is fine at best, but what annoys me the most is when they decide pokemon can just mega evolve without a stone like the M16, M17, and M18 movies. I'll cut the writers some slack because I doubt that the writers of M16 because ME was new, but the gloves are off for everything else. At least with the ME specials, Rayquaza's evolution resembles the games somewhat. Latios and Latias using spontaneous ME is just a big fat fail.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstardust View Post
    but I would prefer if the one Mega per battle limit didn't exist.
    I'm glad that there's a limit however, otherwise we'd likely see multiple megas in some battles which would seem like overkill. Each trainer only being allowed one mega evolved pokemon in each battle is more balanced I think since even some single megas seem overpowered any ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstardust View Post
    Mega Evolution is a good concept and even more intense in the cartoon than in the games, but I would prefer if the one Mega per battle limit didn't exist.
    The latest Magearna&Volcanion movie had loads of ME pokemons in each battles, but they are no more different than just having a bunch of FE pokemons. I don't even think the battles are tenser with more ME were used, oppositely I only think they just devalued them by wholesaling them. I dislike that the staffs downplay the overall powers of ME pokemons to the level of just an average FE pokemons in the lower tiers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast