Thread: Should May have returned to Sinnoh as Dawn's Main Rival?

Default Should May have returned to Sinnoh as Dawn's Main Rival?

Question says it all. Btw, it's just May, no Drew, Harley, Soledad, etc involved.

It would have been interesting to see their different contest battling styles clash. May is more of a "regular" pokemon battler who just happens to use flashy moves or use clever techniques here and there in a battle. We saw this especially during her saga with Ash. While she used combos such as the fire/water fusion, or showing off her Beautifly, even using Skitty's assist, her main style involved regular battling and attacking with powerful moves like overheat, ice beam and sky uppercut. While Dawn is the opposite approach, she is a flashy trainer who just happens to be battling. This is seen through her combos such as Ice Aqua Jet, Ice Chandelier, and her spinning move. All is done is show her Pokemon and while it does deal damage like a regular battle, the first and foremost intent is to show off her Pokemon with dazzling moves.
    Last edited by Marianna; 19th April 2017 at 2:55 AM.

No, May was far more experienced than Dawn. It wouldn't even have been fair. Zoey was perfect for Dawn, even though she wasn't as cool a character as Drew was, she still gave Dawn problems.
    And May without Drew and Harley would have been awful, they're the best rivals they ever gave to another character. May and Dawn work better as friends, not rivals.

No not in the slightest. The Wallace Cup arc was the best of the return arcs and I wouldn't trade that for May's constant reappearance.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

"Resistance. Rebellion. You will burn these ideas away."

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

I can see where you guys are coming from. After all, experience aside, her Pokemon are uber powerful too at least compared to a beginner.. during the Jubilife contest, her Buneary wouldn't stand a chance against any of her Pokemon..

but what if she was introduced later? Like when Dawn had a few more ribbons and a stronger team, and then during the GF? I'm know I'm reaching straws here though. :P. I just wanted to discuss another possible way May to appear but not just a one time cameo thing. Haha.

i love may, but i felt that she received a nice conclusion at the end of AG. her return for the wallace cup arc in DP was more than enough. plus imo, both may and dawn do best against their own rivals to compete against (may has drew, harley, solidad and dawn has zoey, nando, kenny, ursula).

but, for the sake of the argument, if she did come back to be dawn's rival, i'd rather she have new pokemon to work with so that she would be on dawn's level from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by U.N. Owen View Post
    No not in the slightest. The Wallace Cup arc was the best of the return arcs and I wouldn't trade that for May's constant reappearance.
    May was already starting to overstay her welcome by the time the Wallace Cup was ending from my perspective, so I'm glad she didn't stay longer. I don't think Ash's female friends should return for longer than two episodes cuz Dawn's comeback was too long as well.

May being dawn's rival would be unfair since she is more experienced. besides i think the way she left the anime was fine.

No, May has more experience so it wouldn't have made much sense to bring her back as a rival.
    ~Sailor Saturn~

Quote Originally Posted by Marianna View Post
    but what if she was introduced later? Like when Dawn had a few more ribbons and a stronger team, and then during the GF?
    I don't think it would have made much of a difference. I mean, it's not like May would be standing still, waiting for Dawn to catch up to her level of experience. She'd be participating in Contests the same as Dawn, earning ribbons for the Grand Festival, and thus further progressing her already more advanced skills at the same time that Dawn was still discovering and growing into her own.
    Last edited by Glaceona; 20th April 2017 at 4:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Glaceona View Post
    I don't think it would have made much of a difference. I mean, it's not like May would be standing still, waiting for Dawn to catch up to her level of experience. She'd be participating in Contests the same as Dawn, earning ribbons for the Grand Festival, and thus further progressing her already more advanced skills at the same time that Dawn was still discovering and growing into her own.
    Interesting. I'd argue though, while May has more experience she and Dawn have different battling styles. May's seemed to be more focused on using powerful attacks and hitting the opponent head on. She also tended to rely on luck such as assist, metronome and secret power. Granted, she can show off her Pokemon and can be clever at times or apply what she has learned on her journey, but against Dawn? Well by the GF, Dawn could be just as clever, had many combo moves mastered down, and could show off her Pokemon's elegance through her spinning dodge, counter shield technique, and even Togekiss's grace and against Zoey, showed that like May she's not afraid to one-up someone in a battle.

I'm just doing this for the sake of argument btw haha. I'm glad we got Zoey though but still.. watching May and Dawn's two different styles of battling go head on in a GF double battle would have been amazing to see. :P. But needless to say, I liked Zoey, maybe too mentor like for Dawn but still nevertheless she contrasted well against Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Marianna View Post
    Interesting. I'd argue though, while May has more experience she and Dawn have different battling styles. May's seemed to be more focused on using powerful attacks and hitting the opponent head on. She also tended to rely on luck such as assist, metronome and secret power. Granted, she can show off her Pokemon and can be clever at times or apply what she has learned on her journey, but against Dawn? Well by the GF, Dawn could be just as clever, had many combo moves mastered down, and could show off her Pokemon's elegance through her spinning dodge, counter shield technique, and even Togekiss's grace and against Zoey, showed that like May she's not afraid to one-up someone in a battle.
    True.

However, Sinnoh Contests in general appeared to be more centered on flash and formality than Hoenn (or Kanto) Contests, which generally appeared more casual in nature. (This was mostly due to Contests being new and somewhat experimental in AG, and most of their early problems being ironed out by the start of DP, I know, but thinking of one as more formal and the other more casual is how I, personally, tend to reconcile the differences.) Even Dawn's natural penchant for elegance and flash wasn't enough to get her through the Appeal Round a couple of times, so May, with her less flashy and more offensive style, would potentially have an even harder time unless she learned to adapt her style accordingly. And unless she learned to adapt her style accordingly (in this scenario), she wouldn't be able to make it to the Grand Festival in the first place.

It's also worth noting that May was made aware of her style being too focused on offense at the end of AG, when her lack of elegance and defense in favor of an onslaught of dazzling attacks ultimately proved to be her downfall in the Grand Festival. She knew that she needed to find her own style, one less influenced by Ash's and better suited for Contests, and chose to stop traveling with him and go off on her own journey to find/create one.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokegirl Fan~ View Post
    No, May has more experience so it wouldn't have made much sense to bring her back as a rival.
    Yea Dawn would've been at a huge disadvantage if May had been her Sinnoh rival. Granted Dawn did manage to beat May once, tho it seemed like luck on Dawn's part since Glaceon was newly evolved back then and perhaps wasn't that strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    Yea Dawn would've been at a huge disadvantage if May had been her Sinnoh rival. Granted Dawn did manage to beat May once, tho it seemed like luck on Dawn's part since Glaceon was newly evolved back then and perhaps wasn't that strong.
    I always thought Dawn won because Piplup was her most experienced pokemon and Glaceon is May's least experienced.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu979 View Post
    I always thought Dawn won because Piplup was her most experienced pokemon and Glaceon is May's least experienced.
    May's Glaceon has always kind of confused me during the Wallace Cup. It's her youngest and potentially least experienced, yet it went through five new moves over the course of the arc: Ice Beam and Iron Tail during its debut episode, and then Secret Power, Ice Shard, and Mirror Coat (plus Shadow Ball, which it knew as an Eevee) during its battle with Piplup. o.O

I feel that Dawn had enough rivals in DP, what with Zoey, Kenny, and Ursula. May showing up as Dawn's permanent rival would have crowded things.

Quote Originally Posted by Shayuin View Post
    I feel that Dawn had enough rivals in DP, what with Zoey, Kenny, and Ursula. May showing up as Dawn's permanent rival would have crowded things.
    Eh, only Zoey seemed like a genuine threat to Dawn, so May being the second big DP rival wouldn't have been such a bad thing.