Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ash's Torterra

Default Ash's Torterra

Ash's Torterra has a really bad reputation on this forum. It was one of Ash's most relied on Pokemon in Sinnoh as a Turtwig and a Grotle but became shafted due to Chimchar and his evos. Do you think Torterra is a better Pokemon then some people give it credit for? Would you like to see a future appearance where Torterra gets a chance to win?

The problem is Ash is usually not good in handling slow and big Pokemon, with the exception of Snorlax.

Turtwig won countless battles in its first form because it was like Bulbasaur 2.0 at first. When it evolved into Grotle it got slower and harder to handle, and then Torterra even worse. Its hilarious, I think Torterra is the only Pokemon Ash had that actually got *worse* at battling when it evolved.

Quote Originally Posted by CyberCubed View Post
    The problem is Ash is usually not good in handling slow and big Pokemon, with the exception of Snorlax.

Turtwig won countless battles in its first form because it was like Bulbasaur 2.0 at first. When it evolved into Grotle it got slower and harder to handle, and then Torterra even worse. Its hilarious, I think Torterra is the only Pokemon Ash had that actually got *worse* at battling when it evolved.
    I pretty much agree. I think Paul knows how to handle Torterra better than Ash since both are completely opposite of each other. As for it coming back to get a win, I'd like to see it in the league, and perhaps Ash could use some more of Paul's strategies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Biggest Fan of the Diamond and Pearl Series: Dawn+Serena Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    Ash's Torterra has a really bad reputation on this forum. It was one of Ash's most relied on Pokemon in Sinnoh as a Turtwig and a Grotle but became shafted due to Chimchar and his evos. Do you think Torterra is a better Pokemon then some people give it credit for? Would you like to see a future appearance where Torterra gets a chance to win?
    Two words: Suicide Mountain

Torterra is a solid tier 3 Pokemon. It holds its own against tough competition. But it screws itself over with Suicide Mountain.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Replace Rock Climb(useless move which guaranteed his loss) with Earth Power or Bulldoze or Gyro Ball,and maybe replace Synthesis(barely did ay good anyway)with Giga Drain and he will be fine.

Of course it is, it's just that Ash doesn't know how to handle a tank just yet.

My deviantART page, check it out if you want.

Truth is they always killed off torterra to make Ash's opponents seem more competent.

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Truth is they always killed off torterra to make Ash's opponents seem more competent.
    That too, which I always thought was unfair to the big guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red View Post
    That too, which I always thought was unfair to the big guy.
    I always felt lie it should have been the one to take down Paul's drapion, or at least tie with it, but I guess not :/

Credit goes to Sworn Metalhead of Dćdric designs.

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    I always felt lie it should have been the one to take down Paul's drapion, or at least tie with it, but I guess not :/
    Agreed. I would've loved to see Torterra redeem itself for the defeats it had to go through, but the writers decided to give that one to Goku MkII as well -_-

Ultimately, a Pokemon is only as good as the Trainer that commands it. Ash's inability to handle it caps its potential, and while it may have a higher ceiling with a Trainer who can put its skills to better use, its with Ash and will only do as well as Ash can command it to.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

Poor Torterra. Stupid Pokémon writers not letting Ash be competent.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Christianity is a Relationship with our true God, Jesus. It's not a Religion. Copy and paste If you agree

Registeel is mine, yay!

Adventure of Adventureness & Awesome of Awesomeness: Smashing the 4th wall into gazillion pieces since 2010. - Sig too long, so Mod a cropped it

That's why I can Torterra doing well in the future. Once Ash is a better trainer he'll be able to utilize Torterra to it's full potential

Torterra should return with these moves

Wood Hammer
    Bulldoze
    Stone Edge
    Crunch

Its hard to believe Torterra's only win in its final stage is blasting off Team Rocket.

Its hard to believe Torterra's only win in its final stage is blasting off Team Rocket.
    He had so much potential as Turtwig too

I know. It had a lot of power behind it, but always got shafted with the battles against the strongest opponents before they were even slightly weakened. It seems like the writers had a personal vendetta against Torterra... for some reason

Always watching. Always waiting. Never truly at peace in a realm of its own.
    Giratina will return....someday.

Torterra just needs to forget Suicide Mountain and come back as a reserve and earn a League win and it'll get its redemption.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

The problem with Torterra is Infernape was the star of Sinnoh.

Whatever starter pokemon that fully evolves is usually the star of that generation, like Charizard, Sceptile, Infernape and eventually Greninja. Torterra just...had no hope with Infernape being the star

Ash's torterra has the same overall win ratio as sceptile. Kind of funny actually.

It's a pity torterra had to exist in the one season of the show where they took type advantages seriously. In any other region getting hit by a SE ice punch or pin missile would have done nothing to it because the types were inverted.

I'm not into using some other person's self-created "tier system" to rank Pokemon, I'm going purely by my own opinion and what I've seen...

I like Torterra a lot. Since I got Pokemon Blue in 1998/9 and selected Bulbasaur as my starter, I've probably had a slight Grass-type bias. I think people in this thread have already spoken a lot of sense mentioning how it is such an "un-Ash like" Pokemon, and I think that might be a part of the reason I like it. It may also be part of the reason it hasn't done so well competitively though.

Unfortunately Torterra does not have an impressive body count. In fact, unless you count a victory against Team Rocket (which I doubt many people count), it has a body count of 0, and this clearly undermines Torettas as a character and works against it.

You never know though, in this never ending repetitive anime, there may come a time when Torterra is able to return and pick up a win. I'd like that a lot.

It is nice to see Torterra has fans.

Torterra was destined to lose all of his battles:

Bertha: A fight against an E4 is a guaranteed loss. In his defense, Torterra did put up quite a nice fight.

Volkner: This battle was to showcase Infernape's immense new power. Torterra should've gotten at least 1 KO though.

Paul: This battle was used to showcase Infernape's power... yet again. Gliscor, Buizel, and Pikachu got some time to shine as well, but Torterra unfortunately got shafted along with Staraptor.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Red View Post
    Agreed. I would've loved to see Torterra redeem itself for the defeats it had to go through, but the writers decided to give that one to Goku MkII as well -_-
    I thought Gliscor got the KO on Drapion?

The only change I would have made in the battle against Paul was make Torterra defeat Aggron, since Gliscor needed a win anyway. Infernape didn't need another one.

Quote Originally Posted by bboyrei View Post
    The only change I would have made in the battle against Paul was make Torterra defeat Aggron, since Gliscor needed a win anyway. Infernape didn't need another one.
    Honestly if I were Ash I would of used Torterra in my battle against Tobias

Quote Originally Posted by Crimson Red View Post
    Honestly if I were Ash I would of used Torterra in my battle against Tobias
    Would Torterra even have been in any condition to face Tobias? Only reason I feel Pikachu was even in contention to be picked after the Paul battle was because he was the only one who avoided being poisoned, he took less of a beating compared to others and he's used to the fast pace with little time for recovery from the Leagues. Torterra didn't have those luxuries and while a fully fit Torterra would make a good case to be used, Torterra-post Paul just needed a rest.

Signature Credit: The Comet
    My Tumblr

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast