Thread: How Strong Was Hunter J?

Default How Strong Was Hunter J?

I've been reading up on anime antagonists and one struck me in particular: Hunter J.

How strong is Hunter J in the Pokemon universe?

I have recently been defending Ash and how he's a competent trainer, especially during league season, however Hunter J seems to ignore that and completely obliterate any hopes of Ash winning. In all of their encounters, Ash only runs as a distraction with no chance of winning. Her Drapion and Salamence have outstanding records of their own, easily defeating Gary and Ash's Pokemon.

Knowing this, how strong do you thin Hunter J is in the Pokemon universe?

I was thinking in between conference league champion and Elite 4 member. In the future, if she ever reappears with a mega-Salamence, probably Elite 4 tier.
    Last edited by SoundVoltex; 27th August 2016 at 3:36 AM.
    メガシンカ

Dragon Nest NA:
    bemani, SoundVoltex, SINOBUZ

Hunter J would be in between Frontier Brain Level and Elite Four Level.

Not as strong as Alan.

She has that overpowered Salamence so I'll say she's below Elite Four level.

Yea she's about elite 4 level because her drapion alone handled ash and Gary in no time flat.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

High FB LvL

Probably around the same level as an E4, so she is damn strong.

Gym leader's ace level. Nothing more.

Quote Originally Posted by DrLazyEyes View Post
    Probably around the same level as an E4, so she is damn strong.
    Elite Four level seems like an overestimation. She wasn't that tough. She was at around Gym Leader level at most in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstardust View Post
    Elite Four level seems like an overestimation. She wasn't that tough. She was at around Gym Leader level at most in my opinion.
    What gym leader compares to her Drapion and Salamance? I find it hard to believe that even Wulfric matches that power...
    メガシンカ

Dragon Nest NA:

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstardust View Post
    J's Salamence and Drapion out muscled Blastoise's Hydro Pump and Pikachu's Thunder Bolt in that beam struggle by a big margin,she's at least close to Frontier Brain Level at best.

Hunter J was not dangerous because she was a good trainer; she was dangerous because she was a brutal and lethal trainer. She was calculating and was very willing to use lethal force, something champions only bluff about.
    "Everyone creates the thing they dread. Men of peace create engines of war. Invaders create Avengers. People create... smaller people? Er... children! I lost the word there. Children. Designed to supplant them. To help them end."

"Momentai!"

But this is the traditional royal Canterlot voice! It is tradition to speak, using the Royal "we", and to use THIS MUCH VOLUME WHEN ADDRESSING OUR SUBJECTS!!

Hunter J's strength is kind of hard for me to determine since the few times she showed up she would mostly attack Ash as if she was aiming to kill him, but their battles themselves didn't often have results other than J giving up when her plans got foiled. I think she might be on par with the Frontier Brains however based on her handling of Salamence and how it held its own against Regigigas. :]

Quote Originally Posted by STICKTOPIA View Post
    Yea she's about elite 4 level because her drapion alone handled ash and Gary in no time flat.
    The same could be said about her Bohmander too, but then again, it's not like Satoshi and Shigeru are difficult to overwhelm to begin with. So I don't think J's at Four Heavenly King level per se.

Quote Originally Posted by SoundVoltex View Post
    What gym leader compares to her Drapion and Salamance? I find it hard to believe that even Wulfric matches that power...
    Many gym leader's with strategy and knowledge how to defeat a specific pokemon the best. There are many out there who can defeat Hunter J. She was only using her pokemon in a brute way like many other trainers with fully evolved pokemon. Justg brute force through. Drapion was decent and should it've been suprising that pseudo are shown to be strong? I mean even Cameron had a pseudo which was portrayed to be a top notch mon.

She lacks actual strategy and her pokemon lacks of good utility moves. Wulfric's Avalugg using the Hail-/heal+gyro ball strategy would wreck her.

Quote Originally Posted by datdimfb View Post
    The same could be said about her Bohmander too, but then again, it's not like Satoshi and Shigeru are difficult to overwhelm to begin with. So I don't think J's at Four Heavenly King level per se.
    Actually I personally consider Hunter J cornering Ash and Gary as impressive, especially in Gary's case in Dp since he had strong pokemon with him from the start and he was still struggling against Hunter J's pokemon iirc. ^^

Well for one she uses non-Pokemon weapons and breaks the mold. Her Medusa laser can affect even legendary Pokemon as much as potatoes or normal Pokemon, which makes her incredibly dangerous in a Pokemon dominated world
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:
    Trade: Sylveon

Friend code: 4356-0061-9735, Redjirachi

Latest shiny: Skorupi

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Well for one she uses non-Pokemon weapons and breaks the mold. Her Medusa laser can affect even legendary Pokemon as much as potatoes or normal Pokemon, which makes her incredibly dangerous in a Pokemon dominated world
    Strictly Pokemon speaking, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Oreo View Post
    Actually I personally consider Hunter J cornering Ash and Gary as impressive, especially in Gary's case in Dp since he had strong pokemon with him from the start and he was still struggling against Hunter J's pokemon iirc. ^^
    Yeah, his Electivire and Blastoise were considered stronger than Pikachu at the time too.

On another note, since Mega-Evolutions have been introduced, it would not be far-fetched that she would have a Salamencite (if she was still alive). Imagine Hunter J with a Mega-Salamence... that's a whole new level of scary. I think she'd be at least Brandon's level at that point.
    メガシンカ

Dragon Nest NA:

I imagine Hunter J would probably rank somewhere between Top Tier Gym Leader and the Elite 4. It's a tricky one. On the one hand she had a powerhouse in Salamence who would compete with Regigigas, Brandons Regi Trio, Ash's Pikachu and Gary's Blastoise but on the other hand she has Ariados who's battle strength wasn't really known. It's hard to classify her as E4 level when only 2 of her Pokemon's (Salamence and Drapion) strength are known but she seems stronger than any ordinary trainer and gym leader.

I'd imagine based on her success it's more towards E4 level though. She managed to evade the police and was notorious for capturing many strong Pokemon for other trainers.

Twitter | Tumblr | Currently Exploring Unova

Quote Originally Posted by SoundVoltex View Post
    Strictly Pokemon speaking, I guess.
    Not having to rely on Pokemon is strength. Also, thankfully she couldn't ever use Mega Salamence, as Mega Evolution requires a strong bond with one's Pokemon. Which given that Lysandre could use Mega Evolution goes to show what a complete sociopath J is
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav:

Quote Originally Posted by RedJirachi View Post
    Not having to rely on Pokemon is strength. Also, thankfully she couldn't ever use Mega Salamence, as Mega Evolution requires a strong bond with one's Pokemon. Which given that Lysandre could use Mega Evolution goes to show what a complete sociopath J is
    How do we know that J doesn't have a strong bond with her Pokémon? Salamence could have been just as evil as her and joined her to get rich too. The same with Drapion since he was willing to kill Ash, if I remember correctly, and we've seen Pokémon refuse to follow immoral orders before, even Pokémon that worked for villainous teams, such s Arbok of Team Rocket.
    Team Rocket will pay for their crimes.

My fanfiction.net profile

Quote Originally Posted by Mew2 View Post
    How do we know that J doesn't have a strong bond with her Pokémon? Salamence could have been just as evil as her and joined her to get rich too. The same with Drapion since he was willing to kill Ash, if I remember correctly, and we've seen Pokémon refuse to follow immoral orders before, even Pokémon that worked for villainous teams, such s Arbok of Team Rocket.
    That's really disturbing to think that a giant scorpion and dragon are as psychopathic as Hunter J
    Shinies
    Search:
    Random:
    SR:
    Traded away:
    Gift:
    In-game:
    MM:
    Dexnav: