Thread: It's weird

Default It's weird

I've had a really weird relationship with the anime. I liked it when I was a kid, fell out of it mid Johto, came back in Hoenn when I was like 13 (older than the target demographic), and followed it religiously until about mid-Sinnoh when I suddenly fell out of it. I still kept up to date and regrettingly watched some Black and White.

With X and Y, considered one of the, if not, best series, I've tried to get into several times (including just now on Netflix) but just simply cannot. I think it's because it's too childish for my taste. But that is especially strange because I do really like children's stuff (Zootopia is one of my favourite movies and Avatar is one of my favourite shows), but there's something about the anime that simply turns me off but I can't put my finger on it, yet I see plenty of adults enjoying it. Anyone got any ideas?
    Are you are a fan of video games? Obviously you are because you're on this forum. Anyway, if you want, check out my channel by clicking the image below!

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Nothingjustgo
    Twitch: https://twitch.tv/nothingjustgo

The dub for XY does suffer a little from dumbing things down, having less enthusiastic actors and making the dialogue more corny and juvenile (though truthfully this has always been the case). The soundtrack is also completely altered par the odd bit of music such as TR's motto, and I think that helps dilute a lot of the atmosphere at times.

I'd advise watching the Japanese with subtitles and seeing if it's any different for you, that's most older fans' method of watching the show anyway. Most of XY is on Youtube in sub form. Not much context or content is different between versions aside from this however, so if you don't like it, it might just be a case of taste (you're not the first fan to hate XY).
    Last edited by DatsRight; 21st June 2016 at 10:44 AM.

I stopped watching the anime a long time ago but I do keep up on Serebii's episode guides to know what's going on, though it's mostly because I'm curious what kind of pokemon Ash catches.