Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding our selection process

Default Regarding our selection process

Right, so a lot of you have been moaning about the process we use to select Pokémon.

Please allow me to explain. Barring the first few Pokémon (up until March 20th), the selection is completely random barring special events like movies in July and game releases. As such, several Pokémon are struck out of the random selector for this reason.

Based on the posts, you all want to do the best and brightest Pokémon as soon as possible. While yes, I'm sure this would be popular, you need to remember that the Pokémon of the Week has to last at least 3 and a half more years and if we were to do all of them now, there would be very little decent to cover later. We need to spread them about.

Even if we were to do a poll, the more popular ones would always be done right away leaving us with nothing but crap towards the end once again.

I understand that you lot can be frustrated by this, but try to see things in the longterm rather than the present.

Thanks

I still stand by by my decision to combine the Lumineon and Luvdisc PotW's, or at the very least combine Ditto/Unown/Wobbuffet due to either identical movepools or incredibly shallow moves.

This is done in order to conserve efficiency.

Regardless, I still think a voting process would be good to keep the community involved.

There are enough OU Pokemon for the POTW to stay interesting for a full year. With tiers changing we could potentially have 75+ OUs by the time they run out. Not to mention cooler UUs like Shinpora <3 or Nidoking that have plenty of viable sets.

If you try to limit our usage of "interesting" pokes to prevent the POTW from becoming stale its going to get stale anyway. Voting will also shut up everyone who says our choices are boring.

IF we decide to implement a voting program, then the Mods will be deciding which pokes go into the list so we can always cycle the different tiers.

I would be happy with that.

Edit: on the other hand this could be one of those things that sounds nice when you say it, but in practice doesn't really make much of a difference and only makes Reno / whoever else is directly involved work harder.

I think ya'll should do the Starters. Since the games coming up everyones trying really really hard to get their starters together. I personally would love to see a 5th gen Typhlosion though =D

Quote Originally Posted by SwordStaker View Post
    I think ya'll should do the Starters. Since the games coming up everyones trying really really hard to get their starters together. I personally would love to see Typhlosion though =D
    I am sure that Joe will want to do the starters around the time that the games are going to come out in the US/UK.

I say that the beasts should be done since the events are still going on. And Reshiram should be done on Feb 27 since the European version will be released on March 4th, and Zekrom should be done on March 6th since the US version is released on that day.

I can understand that you want to save interesting pokémon for later, but if people want to read up on a strong pokémon later, they can just look back into the archives.

RE the voting system: I'd be fine with having mods choose the pokémon on the poll. Even a limited amount of community involvement would be fine by me, and then picky annoying people like me would not be able to blame you guys :P

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

if there was a voting system, the pokemon would be picked at random.

if there was a voting system, everyone would complain the choices were boring, or there would be one pokemon that'd clearly win.

not going to bother arguing anymore, I've made my points enough.

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    I can understand that you want to save interesting pokémon for later, but if people want to read up on a strong pokémon later, they can just look back into the archives.

RE the voting system: I'd be fine with having mods choose the pokémon on the poll. Even a limited amount of community involvement would be fine by me, and then picky annoying people like me would not be able to blame you guys :P
    It'd make it uninteresting for Reno to do and people wont care if we're just doing dross like Raticate every week. It's not going to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    if there was a voting system, the pokemon would be picked at random.

if there was a voting system, everyone would complain the choices were boring, or there would be one pokemon that'd clearly win.

not going to bother arguing anymore, I've made my points enough.
    Reno has it bang on. People would just complain about the voting choices.

All right, fair enough.

**Raticate probably has a dozen good sets. Hes not boring!

I think that there should be a poll, but with four or five choices. An example would be like:

What should the next POTW be?
    A. Typhlosion
    B. Armaldo
    C. Slowbro
    D. Duskinoir
    E. Swellow

And so that way, you could limit which pokemon would be done.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpip View Post
    I think that there should be a poll, but with four or five choices. An example would be like:

What should the next POTW be?
    A. Typhlosion
    B. Armaldo
    C. Slowbro
    D. Duskinoir
    E. Swellow

And so that way, you could limit which pokemon would be done.
    This method will still cause the same problems. All the Pokémon people want done will be done in the first 12 months and that'll leave us with the rest and people would lose interest. If the polls had just what people deem unworthy, there would be moaning once again.

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    This method will still cause the same problems. All the Pokémon people want done will be done in the first 12 months and that'll leave us with the rest and people would lose interest. If the polls had just what people deem unworthy, there would be moaning once again.
    That is clearly the most likely case
    Don't be misled by my low post count: I've been around for years.

Every week have a set Tier that listing 5 pokemon in a poll and then having people vote so that people would be able to have a vote but you won't do all the good pokemon first. Just have people know what tier that week is so that no one will complain that you have boring pokemon. They will be able to understand.
    Last edited by Cldawson; 31st January 2011 at 7:10 PM.
    This is my favorite Heartgold team

John 3:16-For God so loved the world that He gave His only son that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal life.
    If you're a Christian and you love Jesus, add this verse to your sig. Started by jesusfreak94

You guys could switch the tier every week, say it would go Uber, OU, BL, UU, NU. Then people would have something new every week.

We have custom avatars, a fantastic staff, and a great community! Join today!
    Say that "DiscoPichu" referred you!
    Credit to zhanton for sig.

I agree with the random selection process, but with the 350+ Pokémon (either fully evolved or good enough for lower tiers even though they aren't) that can have reviews, we can last 3.5 years doing 2 pokemon a week. If that isn't too difficult for the developers to write, that could be a viable concept, and would help get more Pokémon reviewed before the generations roll over again. In generation 4, there were around 300 pokemon that could be reviewed, and we only got around to 199 of them before moving over. Doing 2 a week, at least for the time being, would help to get more Pokemon done by the end, and make it less likely for popular/good ones to be missed.

I agree that i missed some of the pokemon i would like covered last gen, but wouldn't it sound weard with "The 2 pokemons of the week"? Then it would even need an name change + it would bring extra work for reno.
    Don't be misled by my low post count: I've been around for years.

What about "This week's featured pokémon"?
    It's better than saying "Pokémon of the three-and-a-half days"
    Either way, I agree with the 2 'mons per week thing, the math works out nicely. You could even do one OU/Uber/BL and one UU/NU per week to give it some variety. It would be a little more work, but not as much as doing one/week last gen was since Reno or whoever compiles the PotW can just copy-paste sets and comments into the PotW section from the PotW discussion thread.

Wow, the number 3.5 is coming up a lot. 350 pokemon worthy of features, 3.5 years til next gen, 3.5 days per pokemon with 2 pkmn per week.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

I would have to say, instead of doing random ones, do popular pokemon for a week, maybe a few, then crap pokemon some time after.

And besides, if people get frustrated, they don't have to be a part of this.

I'm sorry, but I do have to agree with Reno and Serebii. I've been using the site for years (I know I only just registered for the forums but...) and if all the awesome Poke's had been done straight away, I probably would only come and check what levels moves are learned etc.
    PotW keeps me coming back and gives me new ideas on how to build a team that I find interesting, not what everyone else has, and doing random Poke's each week helps me do that.

You guys could switch the tier every week, say it would go Uber, OU, BL, UU, NU. Then people would have something new every week.
    I definetely have to agree with Mudkip8003. That'd be a very good idea.

Spoiler:- Credits & FC:

I agree with Serebii and Reno, but all I'm saying is, "You can't please everyone.

BUT!!! If Pokémon of the Week WERE to be multiples, perhaps once a month, it could be Pokémon with movesets that interlock and work together (i.e Marowak & Togekiss) for double or triple battles. Just an idea.

I'm back, baby.

It was just a suggestion

Anyway, I think that the RNG is just fine. Maybe you could do every now and then an "Anniversary Pokemon", like do Arceus or Dialga the week that they were leaked 4 or so years ago.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast