Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding our selection process

because it's called pokemon of the week for a reason, and it has been the potw for... since this site started?

do you think it's fair to allow people what... 3 days to get their ideas and sets posted in the potw thread? pretty sure 3 days wouldn't allow everyone who wanted to get involved... to get involved...

It could still be "Pokémon of the Week". The word "Pokémon" is both singular and plural.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

After 4 days people just spam the same sets that 20 other people posted.

If Reno says no, then its a no.

Archangel is offline Founder of the Competitive Pokémon Forum

Quote Originally Posted by TheAwesomeOne View Post
    After 4 days people just spam the same sets that 20 other people posted.
    People start doing that the same day it's posted , but we still get some useful sets in the last couple of days too from time to time.

Bottom line is Reno is right and it wouldn't be fair to everyone. Plus it's called Pokemon of the Week for a reason. and that's not going to change anytime soon ;/ sorry
    3DS Friend Code : 2509-2166-4408

A possibility is to go Higher tier, then lower tier, and switch off. But I think we should do Reshiram and Zekrom soon, since they are the cover Pokemon for Black and White.
    I claim Buizel.

or keep is random like it is?

going higher tier to lower tier right now is ridiculous considering there aren't clearly tiers yet. also, how high or low are we talking? what about borderline, that's right in the middle. how many people will complain that we didn't pick their favourite OU pokemon? yeah, a lot. how many people will complain that I'm ignoring the more fun lower tier pokemon and focusing only on the good UU pokemon? yeah, a lot. so let's say I start focusing more on the more obscure pokemon. how many people will complain that I picked spinda this week when it isn't competitively viable? yeah, a lot.

so please, come up with a way that pleases everybody and that keeps the choices fresh, fair, and won't cause any complaints whatsoever.

until you do, it's random.

Default how about this

If we do it in chroniclogical order and skip over nu pokemon

and skip pokemon that didnt ge a revamp and stays the same
    Last edited by phantomtrainer; 3rd April 2011 at 8:13 PM.

For the last time,
    We choose the Pokémon with a Random Number Generator.
    And NU is the most fun tier there is!

Random really is the best way to do it. It's fair and impartial

I think that Pokémon that didn't get a turn last Gen should be given double a chance of being picked this Gen, so there is about 20 of them, each Pokémon has a 1 in 300 chance or something, the 20 should get a 2 in 300 chance.

The numbers are rough BTW, people have been picking at the littlest things that I do wrong, so I am giving them nothing to complain about.
    Last edited by TheAwesomeOne; 4th April 2011 at 1:37 PM. Reason: Absolutely nothing!

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    because it's called pokemon of the week for a reason, and it has been the potw for... since this site started?

do you think it's fair to allow people what... 3 days to get their ideas and sets posted in the potw thread? pretty sure 3 days wouldn't allow everyone who wanted to get involved... to get involved...
    You could still start the thread a week beforehand, even through there is another one too :I

And people: STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT THE RANDOM NUMBER GENERATOR! Why listen to your complains, when removing it would bring 10 times more complains about the sellection not being fair?
    Don't be misled by my low post count: I've been around for years.

I think for the first 2-3 months, only 5th gen pokemon should be picked (still at random). After that, I don't really mind if they're completely random, it's always interesting anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Meowmeow View Post
    A possibility is to go Higher tier, then lower tier, and switch off. But I think we should do Reshiram and Zekrom soon, since they are the cover Pokemon for Black and White.
    Probably being saved for the movies they're starring in in July!
    *ALL-STAR MODE*

i would say do way more gen 5 pokemon til like june........
    then tone it down to like every other week.....
    picking things like chandelure or seismatoad or excadril...........stuff that will be widely used........

If I could be a Gymleader:
    ELECTRIC

Dude, if you do the math, it would take over 12 years to get through all Pokemon. So it'd be hard to run out of choice. in fact, if you keep thinking to save the best for last, there won't be time for the best and good Pokemon would only come during events like movie premiers ansd stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaMaaan View Post
    Thanks, there was no reason to be like that, I could just find your quotes where you support bullying. I've made clear countless times that my parents spoke with her parents, it didn't work, i spoke with her, it didnt work, what the hank do you want me to do? call the cops, lol? slapping her was the only option, only an idiot wouldn't be able to grasp that, her bullying should NOT be allowed to continue. It's obvious.
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    - YourFavoriteUser because, well I forgot what I was going to put here but I was definitely going to shout him out for something.

Quote Originally Posted by ShinyRaikou View Post
    Dude, if you do the math, it would take over 12 years to get through all Pokemon. So it'd be hard to run out of choice. in fact, if you keep thinking to save the best for last, there won't be time for the best and good Pokemon would only come during events like movie premiers ansd stuff.
    If you forgot to notice, we don't do unevolved Pokémon.

There's around 330 viable Pokémon to do. While yes, this is more than the four year limit, we have plans

Before anyone says it, yes unevolved Pokemon are covered in their final evolution's page.

Though I wonder how Porygon 2 will be handled, since it plays like a completely different Pokemon with Evolution Stone.

It should be treated like a separate Pokemon, I would assume.

Also I'd consider having chansey a separate poke too. Because it's a BOSS.

I thought of a good pokémon! Hydreigon. Some people might think it takes a while to get, but you will see that it is worth the effort. It's one of the best Dragon type Pokémon. Let me know if yo have an idea strategy for Hydreigon.

^Dude, have you not read the other 6 pages of people telling other people to shut up because they are requesting a Pokémon. Go to the Competitive RMT section.

You know, a way to stop all argument over this is to do Magikarp, Caterpie, and Burmy consecutively to shut everyone up.

The only decent alternative to the Random Number Generator that would provide "variety" and still be fair that I can think of would be a random Gen 1 Pokemon one week, something (also random) introduced in Gen 2 the next, then 3, 4, 5, and back to 1.

The main problems with this, though, stem from the fact that some Pokemon have cross-gen family lines and some Gens have more final-stage Pokemon than others.

Personally, I like the fact that it's random, but this is the next best alternative I thought of. Of course, movie celebrations, etc. would still feature Pokemon with prominent movie roles as usual.

they need to do mor fifth generation, because... there are already potw for the majority of others, and sometimes im not sure how to effectively use some of the fifth gens.
    Last edited by BLABO; 15th April 2011 at 1:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLABO View Post
    they need to do mor fifth generation
    Well, from looking at the Pokemon of the Week Gen V section of the main site, there have been more Gen V than any other so far, followed by 1st (not counting pre-evolution corners).

EDIT:
    1- 3 (Machamp, Cloyster, and Snorlax)
    2- 2 (Blissy and Tyranitar, 3 with Politoed)
    3- 2 (Absol and Salamance)
    4- 1 (Garchomp)
    5- 5 (Serperior, Emboar, Samurott, Darmanitan, and Zoroark)

EDIT 2: My point being that even with the random number generator, we do seem to be getting a good enough mix of new Pokemon in with the older ones, so I guess it works.
    Last edited by Ememew; 10th April 2011 at 7:52 PM.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast