Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding our selection process

I want to do Vanilluxe, that would be cool
    [IMG]http://i53.*******.com/1z1d54y.png[/IMG]

Spoiler:- FC:

Spoiler:- Team Enchanted Garden:

Spoiler:- pending trades:

Wow. I believe Serebii has said it enough, they are not going to change how they do POTW.

Also, I think I should say I love those POTWs that are for things that are completely idiotic. Like Delibird or Unown. They're my favorites, I don't care for all the common loved superpowers.

I do have a question... Kinda not pertaining to the topic. Does Recoil or other effects that would harm the user, if the user has Magic Guard, which blocks everything except from direct attacks, does the Magic Guard prevent things like Explosion from killing it as it would with something without Magic Guard? Its not specified on Serebii whether things like Recoil or Burn Orbs or such do the SC or Recoil if it has Magic Guard. Sorry for jumping around the question so much, can't really find the words.

Edit: I've got another less important question. Does the ability Defiant raise the user's Attack if the user uses a move that lowers one of it's stats? If so, just as an example, would a Farfetch'd's Curse give +1Atk,+1Def,-1Spd and then Defiant give an added +2Atk? If so, it would give the equivalent of half a BellyDrum and a boost to defense. Sorry if these questions are out of place.
    Last edited by WeatherEffectRain; 4th May 2011 at 10:40 PM.

Mwahaha! R4GE Zibdas! I have Claimed Probopass!

I support MC. But with Eviolite. Viva la Eviolite!

Magic Guard bounces back Rapid Spin and Status moves I believe.
    And I think Defiant is not self inflicted Stat drops.
    Last edited by TheAwesomeOne; 2nd May 2011 at 10:01 PM.

After reading through nine pages of "I want Hydreigon" and "polls are good" and "I have a good idea that would totally work because I've never run a massive site before, guyz," -

Kind of feeling your (the mods') anger and wanting to kill myself. Or maybe that's the lingering effects of the Human Centipede. *shudders*

But in all seriousness... RNG is the only way to go. Honestly, the only other viable (in sense of fairness) way to get through all of it would be numerical/alphabetical but that would be... exceedingly dull.

Keep with the RNG, those of us who would like to see our favorites can just pray to the RNGod every week and cry our worthless selves to sleep when the uber we have with hyper beam and giga impact doesn't get picked.

Honestly, until you've run a site (or any comparable gathering) of this magnitude with years under its belt (or if you have a fairly in-depth understanding of how business is and does), it's a lot more complicated than it looks. And we, the community and the consumers, are some of the most unrighteous whiners you will ever see as soon as you, the admins and essentially business execs, do something to tick us off that we see as purposefully set in motion; hence it's better to just leave it all to chance and then surprise us from time to time whenever there's suitable cause.
    Last edited by FireWinged; 3rd May 2011 at 4:08 AM.

If I might throw in the perspective of possibly a more casual gamer, I've long visited Serebii and find the PotW fascinating. Certainly, I believe, the element of chance makes it interesting. However, with an ever increasing pool of Pokemon from which to choose, I fear that a largely random system may squeeze out 5th gen pokemon.

If we examine approximate mathematics (and please correct me here if I make some grievous error) there are around 320 viable pokemon to cover, of which around 80 (a quarter) are new to this generation. If we take a generous estimate of 200 weeks between generations, this means that, statistically, only around 2/3 of gen 5 pokemon will be covered this generation. Moreover, with each generation the pool becomes larger and it becomes more unlikely that a pokemon will be picked.

Thus, although I appreciate that the RNG is a simple, fair system, could there be some sort of guarantee factored into it that all pokemon will be covered across the life of their own generation? For casual gamers, many of whom use this site but would never be able to contribute directly, the pokemon of said generation are likely to comprise the overwhelming majority of their teams. Others are interesting and certainly should not be ignored as they are particularly relevant to competitive players. Nevertheless, I believe that ensuring all of generation 5 is covered in its lifetime would prove to no-one an inconvenience, would serve of great benefit to many, often invisible, casual players and would negate the risk of pokemon repeatedly missing their chance at coverage in an ever expanding pokedex.

No one cried when Gen 4 Pokés didn't get done for the Gen 4 POTW, so why are people crying about Gen 5!?!?!?
    RNG is what they are using.
    AND NOTHING ELSE.

And trust me, we're making sure that all Pokemon will be covered this generation

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    And trust me, we're making sure that all Pokemon will be covered this generation
    Yea, I'm still speculating what your big plan is :P Any news on when your new system comes into action?
    Don't be misled by my low post count: I've been around for years.

Quote Originally Posted by jespoke View Post
    Yea, I'm still speculating what your big plan is :P Any news on when your new system comes into action?
    Next month maybe?

...Thinking. Is it any occurance that it is Mother's day and Leavanny was chosen? 'Cause I'd say the likes of Kangaskhan would've fit it more easily, but hey, it works.

[ This is not a complaint comment by the way. ]

On the Serebii.net homepage, introducing Swalot as Pokemon of the week there is a typo.
    It says Sawlot.
    My Shinies:

My Black Team:

personally id love to see more 5th gen Pokemon as POTW. I really like hyrdeigon, chandelure and victini and would really apprieciate some movesets and ideas for them
    , and
    My pokemon Black Team.

Friend Code:3654 1369 6108
    plz fell free to rate my team here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=521745
    they are in no particular order so if anyone has suggestions for the order that would be great.

I read what a few other users said - about the whole "voting" deal. That DOES sound like an interesting idea, but, as already stated, people will STILL complain. And, quite honestly, I DO enjoy seeing Pokemon of all sorts as POTW. In a way, it's kind of exciting, not knowing WHAT you'll read about on Sunday. If Serebii's POTW was based on votes, all we'd see is OU Pokemon. C'mon, guys. If you want to see an in-depth OU analysis, just visit Smogon. I usually enjoy reading the subtle differences between Smogon and Serebii set recommendations. But reading JUST about OUs, week after week, would become so monotonous.

But I digress. Seeing a totally random and bizarre Pokemon like Swalot is refreshing. After playing B/W WFC for so long, you forget all about Swalot and other under-used Pokemon. So, anyway, keep things as they are. I enjoy Serebii's POTW, and I like the variety I'm used to seeing.

Quote Originally Posted by poly.pol View Post
    personally id love to see more 5th gen Pokemon as POTW. I really like hyrdeigon, chandelure and victini and would really apprieciate some movesets and ideas for them
    , and
    We have done more 5th Gen then all other Gens.
    5-1st Gen
    3-2nd Gen
    3-3rd Gen
    2-4th Gen
    9-5th Gen.

i'm interested in seeing genesect or something, but i would really liek to see one from my team:
    gengar
    togekiss
    electivire
    dragonite
    starmie
    and breloom!
    FC: 4468-2026-1764

Credit to GameMaster10.

No requests Colbat.
    Random Number Generator does it all, so we have absolutely no control over the next Pokémon.

I agree, the random number system is very good, it's the best way i guess.
    It's fair and always a surprise, and who doesn't like surprises anyway?

By the way, is it a coincidence that Tyranitar, Salamence, and Garchomp all came out as the first few POTWs? (And Machamp, who was also kinda a big boss in 4th Gen)
    Ignore, thanks.

The first few POTW's were not random. Once B/W was released in America we started using a random number generator.

Hm...Yet again, a question. Sorry for me not pertaining to the topic alot.

Its about a set I'm working on. Trick Room just makes the slowest Pokemon move first correct? Well, I'm wondering: Gyro Ball, the better-to-be-slower, could have amazing synergy with this. Being slower than the rest of the game is good for Gyro Ball, and being slower makes you faster with Trick Room. However, I have not tested this. Does Trick Room affect Gyro Ball? I'd really love to know, 'cause it'd make tons of things sweepers whereas they'd normally want to be slower -- and they still are.

Jumping around the question again. But seriously, I don't know where else to put them.

Thanks if you can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpip View Post
    I think that there should be a poll, but with four or five choices. An example would be like:

What should the next POTW be?
    A. Typhlosion
    B. Armaldo
    C. Slowbro
    D. Duskinoir
    E. Swellow

And so that way, you could limit which pokemon would be done.
    I would go for E. not just because swellow is my fav pokemon, but (I think) it has been years since it got potw.

Originally posted by WeatherEffectRain
    Does Trick Room affect Gyro Ball?
    A little irrelevant but no, it does not.
    My Shinies:

My Black Team:

do one of nattorei

Founder Of TOTW
    War record 9/0/0
    Smogon rank 1345 (peak)
    8/8 OSL Basges
    Unbeaten on wifi
    But does it really matter.......

Quote Originally Posted by random13 View Post
    A little irrelevant but no, it does not.
    Thankyou, I thought not, just wanted a little outside proof. And, like I said, I didn't know where else to put it. Oh well, I'm not gonna ask any more questions on this thread, no matter how irritating.

No one will care in 3 and a half more years (which I believe you stated you'd like the PoTW 5th Gen to last) about a moveset for Empoleon, Scizor, or any other OU or Uber Pokemon that you haven't covered. People will have figured out the best/most popular/their favorite movesets on their own. I mean, Swalot? Really? Do yourselves a favor and pick out Pokemon people will want to read about. And this isn't about the number generator. This is about the fact that you don't exclude dumb Pokemon that don't have any redeeming qualities. The last two PoTW to be featured were Swalot and Leavanny. It seems like the articles should have had a disclaimer saying: "These Pokemon cannot take hits or dish them out. They have little redeeming qualities, however. So if you wanna use them, use them."
    Have you even read Levanny's Overview on its PoTW?
    Why would anyone even consider using it after that severe criticism?http://www.serebii.net/potw-bw/542.shtml
    Seriously this is some bull sh*t.

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast