Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding our selection process

I fyou do crap at least do new crap. I'd much more prefer simisage than salamence for example.

some useless pokemon a cool, and you havent done them in 4th gen.

like smeargle
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

people claim that there are 150 "usable" pokemon. alright. lets say we do all of those pokemon to make people happy. last gen there were 199 potws. so what happens for the last 49 weeks? people start complaining because it has been 20 weeks since we did a "usable" pokemon. keep the random number generator. it makes it so we do a "usable" pokemon at least once every few weeks. and people need to stop hating on the "unusable" pokemon. odds are that if you see them in competitive battling they are going to be the ones that give you trouble because you dont expect anything from them
    Last edited by tecannon521; 1st June 2011 at 8:28 PM.
    You cannont handle the steels!

The last 49 weeks you do "almost usable" crap like the electric eel or Raticate. Things that aren't high in usage but still "usable"

How about three pokemon are selected by a random number generator, then the community votes on who should be the POTW.

just because some pokemon are not as good as others does not mean they are "crap". people only call them "crap" because they are not good enought to exploit their strong points. their stats, abilities, and movesets might not be as good as the those of other pokemon but that doesnt matter. pokemon is about strategy. its how you use the pokemon that matters, not what pokemon you use

Quote Originally Posted by tecannon521 View Post
    just because some pokemon are not as good as others does not mean they are "crap". people only call them "crap" because they are not good enought to exploit their strong points. their stats, abilities, and movesets might not be as good as the those of other pokemon but that doesnt matter. pokemon is about strategy. its how you use the pokemon that matters, not what pokemon you use
    No, they're still crap. If you can use your fancy logic and make Raticate usable why can't you use the same logic to make Pokemon like Salamence or Lucario even better than that.

All I'm saying, Pokémon skipped between 3 and 4, like the "meh" somewhat usable Venusaur, and Hitmonlee, could get another entry in the RNG. Like 2 Venusaur vs 1 Hydreigon, to boost odds.

If you people hate POTW, ignore it! We can all admit it's more fun to see our favorites on POTW than those we dislike. When Typhlosion last made POTW, I looked at my Typhlosion and said, "Wow. This set woulda been really good!" That's the fun of it. Dislikes? Personally, Beheeyem bugs the living crap outta me. HOWEVER!!! I still enjoyed looking at the wide variety of sets --- Nasty Plot, Supporter, even the Pre-Evolite Fans corner --- as much as Beheeyem's claimer, #1 fan, and cosplay dresser.

I'm back, baby.

I think voting would be a cool idea. There could be a poll for ten random Pokemon and everyone votes on it for 3 weeks and then on the 4th week the most voted random wins.
    Walker Sleepover

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    The last 49 weeks you do "almost usable" crap like the electric eel or Raticate. Things that aren't high in usage but still "usable"
    I'd much rather havethe good and the bad together

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    No, they're still crap. If you can use your fancy logic and make Raticate usable why can't you use the same logic to make Pokemon like Salamence or Lucario even better than that.
    granted, pokemon like salamence are better. but that does not mean that pokemon like raticate are useless. seeing as battling is about strategy, its the strategy determines how well a pokmon fairs. salamence is better than raticate, im not going to argue with that, and that is due in large part to the fact that salamence has a better typing, movepool, abilities, and stats therefore giving it greater strategic possibilities. but if you can find the right strategy for raticate then you can get raticate to do fairly well

and seeing how potw is about developing strategies, why not come up with strategies for pokemon like raticate?

stick a poll of about 4 pokemon at the top of that weeks potw and do the winner for the next one!
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

aren't we like completely ****ed if the rng picks Eevee

If the RNG picks, say, Venasaur, or some other member of a trio/duo, could we do it's counter parts for the next week(s)? That way we could have Venasaur, Charizard, then Blastois like you did with the Unova starters.

Maybe Ninjask/Shedinja, Galade/Gardavoir, Froslass/Glalie, ect.

Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    aren't we like completely ****ed if the rng picks Eevee
    I think it only picks full evolutions, why put in Eevee instead of Vaporeon, Flareon, and company?
    stick a poll of about 4 pokemon at the top of that weeks potw and do the winner for the next one!
    But if we do that, there will be a pretty decent chance of the most popular first, with a couple less popular ones mixed in, and in the end we'd still only have unpopular ones, since the other two/three would have to be unpopular for an unpopular one to win.....

Besides, we'd have less time to come up with sets.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 3rd June 2011 at 3:54 AM.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Magnemite used Sonic Boom! Magnemite glitched through the wall! It's super effective! Lyric fainted!

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    I think it only picks full evolutions, why put in Eevee instead of Vaporeon, Flareon, and company? But if we do that, there will be a pretty decent chance of the most popular first, with a couple less popular ones mixed in, and in the end we'd still only have unpopular ones, since the other two/three would have to be unpopular for an unpopular one to win.....
    Nah, if it picks the number of a pre-evo, iirc we just select the evolution.

But if we do that, there will be a pretty decent chance of the most popular first, with a couple less popular ones mixed in, and in the end we'd still only have unpopular ones, since the other two/three would have to be unpopular for an unpopular one to win.....

Besides, we'd have less time to come up with sets.
    we would have the same amount of time because when reno reads the disscusion to write up the pokemon he messages serebii to start the next one (the winner) and anyway it would mean that the we get the more popular, less popular ones first

That seems like a rather flawed concept. It gives pokemon like mawile and crygonal a low, low chance to be selected, while giving pokemon such as Gallade/Gardevoir and that variety a much higher one. Wouldn't it make sense to simply base it off the final evolution's number, and reroll if it isn't one?

I know that my suggestion is off topic here and I'm sorry!!

But I think that you could run a "Like - button"/ "5 star" system to rate comments... In the pkmn of the week section there are some comments worth being highlighted. Just saying..
    I don't use "uber" Pokemon, I don't calculate stat values, I don't use cheating devices, I don't breed my way to perfection, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are, and treat them like individuals instead of brainless drones. If you use this philosophy, copy & paste this into your signature. (Started by Tyranitar)

Demon Fox Trainer
    ~ignis~
    I claim DW "Under-The-Sun" Ninetails

Quote Originally Posted by epic_eevee View Post
    Nah, if it picks the number of a pre-evo, iirc we just select the evolution.
    Actually the RNG can't select pre-evo's at all.
    My Shinies:

My Black Team:

Wow its a rng, its not changing. No matter what is picked, someone is not going to like whatever is chosen, so no matter what someone will not like what is chosen, so the rng keeps it fair for everyone. Voting would not work and plus I have read the potw for a long time and I would stop reading them if it was just magicarp and whatnot at the end. It is better if the good ones are spread out. I don't want pokemon like Simisage, and Raticate at the end. It is the best solution and there really is not a need for 15 pages of this in my opinion. Plus this is not where you place requests for the potw. People should not be posting what pokemon they want picked. If thats how it worked, then I would choose my favorites like Swampert, Hydriegon, ect. every week because I like that pokemon. Then someone would be "like these pokemon suck I want some NU pokemon like Raticate". There is a reason it is random. Its random because its fair to everyone and it keeps it interesting. But It Is Random and if I needed a set for a pokemon like swampert I just google 5th gen swampert moveset, and find one. But honestly I think there should be a different tier system for serebii.net, instead of using the Smogon one. I dislike the smogon one and I think that it should not ban amazing pokemon like salamence and garchomp to ubers. They are good but I think it is ridiculous when I battled with salamence in 4th gen. and people would get mad at me, just because a website said it was "overpowered". If there was a new tier list I would contribute to a tier making the list if there was one.
    Sorry for going crazy but 13 pages of potw requests and ideas for voting is utterly ridiculous, its just the same stuff posted over just worded different. It is completely crazy just like banning salamence to ubers.
    Last edited by salaswampert; 22nd June 2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Please Rate MY Team
    Never underestimate swampert.
    GEN. 3 is the best Ever!

Back from a long break from pokemon! Hello everyone!

Default idea

we should use the 1st through 4th generations in the 4th generation thing and the 5th generations in the 5th generation thing.
    Last edited by Archangel; 29th June 2011 at 6:05 AM. Reason: stay on topic

Quote Originally Posted by yoda0714 View Post
    we should use the 1st through 4th generations in the 4th generation thing and the 5th generations in the 5th generation thing.
    Wow, the first complaint/suggestion in 26 days!

Seriously though, doing 5th gen POTW means we're doing sets for how pokemon can be used in 5th gen and includes pokemon from all generations.
    My Shinies:

My Black Team:

I personally think one pokemon every 5 days would be easier that one out every 3days 12hours. days would have reno up at the middle of the night on wenesday, or or early in the morning on one day and at night on the next. 5 days will still give us 6 pokemon a month (except February), and 72 pokemon a year. Or i think we should do 2 pokemon at one time, giving 7 days of imput on both. I do not agree in a poll system, because than the "more favored" will be done first, making it run dry quicker. I also thing all pokemon from all tiers should be done, because its not the pokemon that sucks, its the trainer using/ "looking down apon" them. I personally like the challenge of using all NU pokemon, considering after 12 years of pokemon the OU teir has gotten pretty boring (though i only unvail uy ou team). It requires much more skill to use NU pokemon, and even people new to pokemon will beinifit by learning possiple ways to learn less used/ unconventionakl pokemon. In my opinion if you think a pokemon sucks, you should seriously reconsider what/ who sucks.
    Competitive battling pokemon

Currently Training
    Shiny Pokemon

Quote Originally Posted by BaldWombat View Post
    IF we decide to implement a voting program, then the Mods will be deciding which pokes go into the list so we can always cycle the different tiers.
    even though i am new, i completly agree with bald wombat

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast