Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Regarding our selection process

yeah, I'd like to see a 5th gen typhlosion too.but more of a infernape, or maybye a smeargle (it can learn any move! you can make your dream move set!!

Default POTW suggestions

As an avid reader of the POTW there are a few that i'd like to see. Usually ones that i use but want to see how others use them. Or ones with Sub-par stats that could be improved.

Im currently holding out for Haxorus and Reuniclus. Both of which i have used in my teams and both of which have down right diobolical speed.

Quote Originally Posted by FierceDeity View Post
    As an avid reader of the POTW there are a few that i'd like to see. Usually ones that i use but want to see how others use them. Or ones with Sub-par stats that could be improved.

Im currently holding out for Haxorus and Reuniclus. Both of which i have used in my teams and both of which have down right diobolical speed.
    Unfortunately, the Pokemon are chosen via Random Number Generator. Thus we have Bellossom and Purugly in a row. Not that I wouldn't like to see those two you mentioned covered, but there's a chance they might not be done for quite a while.

I hope Audino is selected soon! I got a setup that plays to her strengths!

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    Either way, I agree with the 2 'mons per week thing, the math works out nicely. You could even do one OU/Uber/BL and one UU/NU per week to give it some variety. It would be a little more work, but not as much as doing one/week last gen was since Reno or whoever compiles the PotW can just copy-paste sets and comments into the PotW section from the PotW discussion thread.
    If you were to do 2 pokemon a week for almost 4 years, you're looking at about 400 pokemon, and I'm positive there are not that many fully evolved pokemon.
    "Your memories are connected, like links in a chain. Those same chains are what anchor us all together."
    -Naminé

Pokemon X Team - French Playthrough
    *COMPLETE*
    Amphinobi | Noctali | Mentali | Farfaduvet | Darumacho | Carchakrok
    3DS FC: 0430 - 9679 - 6068
    IGN: Micah
    Friend Safari Type: Fire
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Magmar, Ninetales, Charmeleon

Spoiler:- Credits, etc.:

Hmm, now I see why you deal with the frustration of a number generator. It keeps favoritism out of the running and gives even NU pokemon an equal opportunity of being chosen.

Please webmasters.......I have something I want to say.
    There is a certain pokemon that I would love to see, it hasn't been done since Gen 3.
    Life has only gotten worse for it as it has gone through the generation transitions, and not even smogon has any sort of movesets or strategies for it.
    It is currently an RU pokemon.
    Lanturn.

I've loved this thing since it came out in Gen 2, and (used to) have the title of the only pokemon who got every inch of boosts out of rain besides an ability, thanks to STAB Hydro Pump and STAB Thunder.
    While its stats are meh........the thing still is awesome.
    So please at least read this, I'm sick of no one even MENTIONING Lanturn.
    Even if you give it a ton of crap, it's better than nothing.
    Thanks for reading this, if you did.

-Prankstar 73-

EDIT: silly me, forgetting to read the 1st post.
    Ignore this.
    Last edited by Prankstar 73; 29th September 2011 at 2:29 AM.
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/2mzz2h1.png[/IMG]
    Pokemon Black FC: 1764 - 3901 - 4182

R.I.P The Battling Academy, 11/6/11 - 04/03/12
    Memories Are The Only Things Which Are Truly Eternal

.... This topic is for regaurding how they select pokemon. Not for suggesting what pokemon do next. They use a random number generator, and they do not take sugggestions. So whats the point of doing it?
    Competitive battling pokemon

Currently Training
    Shiny Pokemon

How about keeping the random number generator but giving Pokemon in higher tiers more numbers than those in lower tiers?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    How about keeping the random number generator but giving Pokemon in higher tiers more numbers than those in lower tiers?
    They won't do that b/c pretty much anybody who pays any mind to competitive battling knows what to expect out of the most popular pokemon, but no one cares for UU/RU. Or at least, almost no one cares for them.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    For the exact same reason I've been saying from the get-go. It'd mean at the end, we'd just have rubbish Pokémon.

This random generator is done in order to keep a balance between good and bad throughout the 4 years of this generation

It works well this way, then we see pokemon like Raichu, Gastrodon and Hitmonlee mixed in with the likes of Chandlure, Garchomp and Mewtwo. Not everyone uses OU, Ubers, etc.

Hey there, community

My only issue with the POTW is that I haven't beat Pokemon Black, yet (my version), so every time I see a pkmn from an older generation, I'm a -little- disappointed.

Every time I see a POTW from the new games, it totally makes my day! That'd be my only request, I guess - would it be possible to have newer pokemon every 2nd week, maybe..? I've just got through Twist Mountain after getting the 6th badge, so I'm not too sure how far from the finish I am, but seeing an ACtual 5th gen pkmn more often would certainly make me happy. It's especially cool, 'cause I can EV train specific pokemon before I've even beaten the game

Thx guys! I'm looking forward to contributing, now that I'm registered on the site

..also, I feel like I should mention: I think there may have been a mistake made with the Darmanitan POTW.

One of the sets that was listed was one with Flame Charge (Nitromatan, or whatever). However, I think Sheer Force works to eliminate the speed boost gained from Flame Charge.

Can anyone correct me, on this? I would've trained for a jolly Darmanitan, if I knew that Flame Charge didn't work...do you have to have Life Orb equipped, or something..? My only option, now, is to equip my Darmanitan with Choice Scarf and erase flame charge for another attack.

Any input's much appreciated

Nope, Flame Charge isn't affected by Sheer Force. The boost it gets isn't a secondary effect in the manner it uses

I actually happen to like this system. I would've never thought to use Stunfisk on a team before, and now I use one and it works great. It makes people think outside the box of 'Must. Use. OU.'

Quote Originally Posted by ~Nidoking~ View Post
    It works well this way, then we see pokemon like Raichu, Gastrodon and Hitmonlee mixed in with the likes of Chandlure, Garchomp and Mewtwo. Not everyone uses OU, Ubers, etc.
    How 'bout a good physical wall? One guy I'd like to train for myself is a Cofagrigus. My set would look like this (as there's no POTW to base from!):

- Shadow Ball
    - Calm Mind
    - Will-o-wisp
    - Additional attacking move/support option (Psychic, HP fighting, Destiny Bond, Trick Room, Substitute, etc.)

Will-o-wisp can shut down any physical sweepers, and Cofagrigus' defence is already super-high, so this would be my EV spread:

Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd) 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def

the -Spd nature would work well with a Trick Room team (or even if you put Trick Room on Cofagrigus), and the special defence investment could make it into a pseudo-special wall when combined with Calm Mind.

Lemme know what you think, or if you can think of a better set...man, it'd be SO nice if Cofagrigus had access to Pain Split!!! It'd be just like Dusknoir...oh, well

Quote Originally Posted by Whim88 View Post
    How 'bout a good physical wall? One guy I'd like to train for myself is a Cofagrigus. My set would look like this (as there's no POTW to base from!):

- Shadow Ball
    - Calm Mind
    - Will-o-wisp
    - Additional attacking move/support option (Psychic, HP fighting, Destiny Bond, Trick Room, Substitute, etc.)

Will-o-wisp can shut down any physical sweepers, and Cofagrigus' defence is already super-high, so this would be my EV spread:

Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd) 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def

the -Spd nature would work well with a Trick Room team (or even if you put Trick Room on Cofagrigus), and the special defence investment could make it into a pseudo-special wall when combined with Calm Mind.

Lemme know what you think, or if you can think of a better set...man, it'd be SO nice if Cofagrigus had access to Pain Split!!! It'd be just like Dusknoir...oh, well
    Using only one Special offensive move with Calm Mind isn't the best idea. However, using HP Fighting as the last move could actually make that set work quite well. But maxing out HP and Defense instead of HP and Special defense would be a better idea, as you're already gonna be boosting your SpDef with Calm Mind. The one problem is that you don't really have any way to heal, but that could be remedied to an extent with Lefties and-

Awshit. I better stop now, before I make this a post with, like, 6 Cofagrigus sets. >_>
    "Open your mouth too wide, and your ears close."

Do you wish you could do things like in the anime?
    Do you wish you could dodge behind a rock to avoid an attack?
    Do you wish that you could use the arena to stop your opponents cold?
    If you answered yes to any of those questions, the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League could be for you!

Quote Originally Posted by magikarprules View Post
    I actually happen to like this system. I would've never thought to use Stunfisk on a team before, and now I use one and it works great. It makes people think outside the box of 'Must. Use. OU.'
    Definitely. I actually created some pretty cool teams with Whiscash and Clefable after the POTW, and i never thought of doing so before.

This signature has been brought to you by Mochi10, thanks a bunch c:

Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Nope, Flame Charge isn't affected by Sheer Force. The boost it gets isn't a secondary effect in the manner it uses
    Smogon says otherwise.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

I think to prevent poular pokemon from getting the vote, why not select a tier and a random set of 6 to 10 pokemon to choose from.

Eg. The UU tier is selected and posters can choose from
    (I got these off Smogon of course)

Bisharp
    Houndoom
    Roserade
    Xatu
    Nidoking
    Donphan
    Abomasnow
    and Azelf

Posters would compete in a poll and the one with the most votes gets to be featured in POTW. Little Cup would not count as a tier.

Another thing is to do the same thing by type, select probably 6-8 randomly selected pokemon that all have a similar type and do the same thing (without tiers).

~|<
    My Pokemon Black Team:

Again, because people would vote for the good stuff and at the end, we'll have nothing but crap for the last year. It's random to endeavour to prevent that

I think they should start by doing pokemon that got the biggest bonuses over the gen change like dragonite and multiscale.

Not everyone uses OU, Ubers, etc.
    I agree with the sistem and I am one of those people who dosn't use all ubers,Ou.

The system is fine. I enjoy it because i wont use ubers.
    The only imporivement would cover 2 pokemion at one time.
    Competitive battling pokemon

Currently Training
    Shiny Pokemon

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast