Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Regarding our selection process

I was happy that Espeon, and Umbreon were chosen, and I was REALLY happy when Lucario was announced Pokemon of the Week. Now, the rest of my team would be Meganium/Samurott ( Don't know if I spelt that right, sorry ) Manaphy, and Arceus. Yes, they are legit. I would be happy if Manaphy would be featured, for while I have played Pokemon for many years, I still do not understand much such as moves or items to give to my Manaphy, due to its movepool not having many choices that can turn the tide of a battle.

HurrDurrPokemans!

Maybe we should do a little cup POTW though it doesn't look like it's going to happen

No Little Cup because the demand for it is extremely low compared to the time it takes to write it. Think of it this way. Stats...

Smogon Server
    Wifi OU - 200,000 battles
    LC - 1,300 battles

Pokemon Online Server
    Wifi OU - 850,000 battles
    LC - 4,600 battles

I know LC has its own fan base but it's such a small percentage among players that I don't feel it's worth the time.

I'd just like to point out that there are enough pokemon in the tiers from Ubers to RU to just do those for 4 years, which is the normal amount of time in a generation. We could just do those, the better pokemon, rather than spending loads of time doing useless POTW's on NU pokemon. If a NU pokemon came up through the RNG, then you could just roll it again. This would mean better pokemon, and it would also mean that OU pokemon don't get POTWs just because they're weren't selected by the RNG.

There are also 5 unreleased pokemon, so that's a total of 213 pokemon from Uber to RU - exactly 4 years and 5 weeks worth of POTWs. Even if the generation did last longer than that, we could just pick the best pokemon from NU, or do some POTWs again, because pokemon do go from Uber to OU, and OU to Uber. Also, metagames shift sometimes as new strategies emerge. Volt-turn is now one of the most used strategies, and it wasn't so popular earlier on in BW. Pokemon such as Shaymin, who suddenly become a whole lot more viable as volt-turn counters, are suddenly a lot better, and therefore they have different roles, and can be updated.

Just a thought. All I'm saying is that we don't need to be doing useless POTWs for completely not viable NU pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbeller View Post
    I'd just like to point out that there are enough pokemon in the tiers from Ubers to RU to just do those for 4 years, which is the normal amount of time in a generation. We could just do those, the better pokemon, rather than spending loads of time doing useless POTW's on NU pokemon. If a NU pokemon came up through the RNG, then you could just roll it again. This would mean better pokemon, and it would also mean that OU pokemon don't get POTWs just because they're weren't selected by the RNG.

There are also 5 unreleased pokemon, so that's a total of 213 pokemon from Uber to RU - exactly 4 years and 5 weeks worth of POTWs. Even if the generation did last longer than that, we could just pick the best pokemon from NU, or do some POTWs again, because pokemon do go from Uber to OU, and OU to Uber. Also, metagames shift sometimes as new strategies emerge. Volt-turn is now one of the most used strategies, and it wasn't so popular earlier on in BW. Pokemon such as Shaymin, who suddenly become a whole lot more viable as volt-turn counters, are suddenly a lot better, and therefore they have different roles, and can be updated.

Just a thought. All I'm saying is that we don't need to be doing useless POTWs for completely not viable NU pokemon.
    Serebii wouldn't allow it and I don't like the idea of ignoring NU Pokemon either. I can make sure we don't get strings of useless NUs like we did recently but I don't thing Serebii would let us just pile on OU after OU until we have them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Serebii wouldn't allow it and I don't like the idea of ignoring NU Pokemon either. I can make sure we don't get strings of useless NUs like we did recently but I don't thing Serebii would let us just pile on OU after OU until we have them all.
    Well, I meant more just doing the RNG as it is done at the moment, but just removing all the NU pokemon. This would mean that pokemon such as Sunflora can't waste a week, which could be used by another, better pokemon.

I guess there are still some useful NUs, a prime example of this being Quagsire. I guess you could still put them in the RNG. It's just, the analysises are meant to be for OU, so advertising for someone to use a Sunflora in OU is completely misleading to newer players, and that's something that you shouldn't be doing.

Meh, it was just an idea. It doesn't really matter if you don't like it, I don't think it would work. I just think it would be better if some of the really pathetic pokemon weren't chosen, as they're just a waste of the process.
    Last edited by Barbeller; 6th June 2012 at 5:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Barbeller View Post
    Well, I meant more just doing the RNG as it is done at the moment, but just removing all the NU pokemon. This would mean that pokemon such as Sunflora can't waste a week, which could be used by another, better pokemon.

I guess there are still some useful NUs, a prime example of this being Quagsire. I guess you could still put them in the RNG. It's just, the analysises are meant to be for OU, so advertising for someone to use a Sunflora in OU is completely misleading to newer players, and that's something that you shouldn't be doing.

Meh, it was just an idea. It doesn't really matter if you don't like it, I don't think it would work. I just think it would be better if some of the really pathetic pokemon weren't chosen, as they're just a waste of the process.
    When some NU pokes have niches to fill in the OU metagame? Take Charizard for instance. Last I checked, in was NU, but under the sun, Choice Specs Charizard has just about the same power of a Choice Specs Reshiram. Its only drawbacks are its decent, but not great, speed, and its horrible weakness to stealth rock. Couple that with Solar Power's after effect and bad defenses, it can't logically be used in OU without extensive team planning. Why would you take those pokemon out when they can have niches that only they can have?
    if youve never heard of lebanon kansas learn the name

HG FC- 0261 1686 4446

Black FC- 0518 7584 9410

Gen VI FC: 1049-0257-8808

Quote Originally Posted by carnivalmar View Post
    leern to spel i canot reed
    Ironic, isn't it?

Clickee for me?

The way I see it, most NU Pokemon are either viable in the NU metagame or pre-evos of Pokemon that are viable in at least one tier, so they'd be included anyways in the Pre-Evo Corner. I see nothing wrong with just skipping Pokemon that have next to no place even in NU (like the previously mentioned Sunflora) and working with Pokemon that, at the very least, have a valuable niche in NU.

Wait, did we finally switch to doing the tiers of the PotW pokemon that it is? In which case, only the pokemon that aren't viable in any tier should be skipped (there are still plenty of them in NU).

My oppinion: Each pokemon has it's competitive value no matter how mediocre or pitiful it is. POTW is not just for showing the best pokemon around, but also to help others (mainly new trainers) to understand wich pokemon is good and wich one is not by pointing out the good points and the flaws of each pokemon and for every pokemon. However, There is 663 pokemon (Counting different forms for the same pokemon), so, there is no way of doing them all before gen 6 comes out (if there's going to be a gen 6 of course). So I think, to do the most of them, it's essential to do just the same that we did during the eeveelutions week or the rotom forms week! We cannot consider a week to spinda, another one to do unown, and another one to do smeargle etc... These pokemon should be grouped as gimmick pokemon and done in a week. the same thing could happen to all of the early rat pokemon like raticate, furret, linoone and watchog. The week we did hitmonlee, I really thought that we should do also hitmonchan and hitmontop as well. There is plenty of pokemon, and POTW of gen 4 couldn't finish all the pokemon back then. And now, with even more pokemon in gen 5 to cover, we need to work even faster.

To be fair, I'm not the person who writes the POTW every sunday and not the one who manages this forum, so I don't really know how much work all of this takes. I'm fine with the POTW as it is now. The previous post was just a suggestion that for me will improve the POTW.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayofquazar View Post
    My oppinion: Each pokemon has it's competitive value no matter how mediocre or pitiful it is.
    Inclined though I am to agree with you, I can't ignore the continuing existence of Luvdisc.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Serebii View Post
    Black Kyurem & White Kyurem are to be dealt with at a later date
    Serebii, please tell me that by "a later date", you don't mean this coming Sunday. I'd like to get back to the ordinary RNG-produced picks for the POTW.
    Last edited by Missingno. Master; 12th July 2012 at 1:47 AM.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 3 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master View Post
    Inclined though I am to agree with you, I can't ignore the continuing existence of Luvdisc.

EDIT:

Serebii, please tell me that by "a later date", you don't mean this coming Sunday. I'd like to get back to the ordinary RNG-produced picks for the POTW.
    Later date being October 7th

We have one more of the movie tie-ins then we're back on the RNG. For one week in August, the RNG selected a Pokémon we had set aside for a special theme week so we'll be doing that week then

Can't wait until the end of all the uber tier, most of the time banned, Pokemon of the Week. I'm actually looking forward to a few lesser used Pokes to be spotlighted.

Like, can anyone make a good Beedrill or say a Tropius? That be neat.

This is a stupid question but is it possible to make a seperate thread for the puns as we are talking about the pokemon and not jokes of it?

As in, B/W Kyurem are going to be done when B/W2 comes out in NA?

Credit to Beck for the RNG userbar.
    As of August 18th 2012, I resigned as a CG leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Duranteater View Post
    This is a stupid question but is it possible to make a seperate thread for the puns as we are talking about the pokemon and not jokes of it?
    I don't think it's really necessary. One thread should be more than enough to discuss potential sets and puns for the POTW. Besides, most viable sets for a Pokemon end up being mentioned in the first couple of days anyways, so the rest of the week can be spent deciding on puns to use for the write-up.

If you're talking about the normal type idea, maybe Kangaskhan or Lopunny would be nice. Or perhaps Slaking is a good idea.
    Last edited by Locnlo; 27th July 2012 at 6:00 PM.

I appreciate people who love poems of different kinds and types. I am a poet and also love poetry and songs. If you are the one who is in need of beautiful phrases, then in that case I would request you to take help of mine for it. I love to write and in writing poems, I use different kinds of exaggerations and metaphors.

You know, I wonder what would be the other special groups after electric rodent week if they can come on the possible next RNG?

-Common Bug Week (Butterfree family, Wurmple Family, Burmy Family, Beedrill Family)
    -Common Normal Type week (Ratata family,Sentret Family, Zigzagoon Family, Bidoof Family, Minccino Family, Patrat Family, Stoutland Family)
    Final Chapter: 38: Mountain's Edge(Click the Banner above)

Would it be possible to do a Starters Week. We have a total of 15 starters from 5 generations, out of which the 3 Unova ones have been already covered (though not updated with the B2W2 games) and Venusaur is being covered in POTW #88. Also there are still a lot of other pokemons to cover, and with the official release of the last 5th gen pokemon (i.e., Genesect), it does seem like the next main series game would most likely be a 6th gen game (i don't see the possibility of an RS remake at this point). games

So, wouldn't it be better to cover all the remaining starters in a weeks special.

Trying to cover the starters in one week would be pretty excessive. Remember that Electric Rodent Week was only 6 Pokemon, and BH was already bogged down enough by that. Trying to cover a ton of starters would just he too much.

I don't see a problem with maybe covering each Gen's starters in a series (i.e. do Blastoise and Charizard in the next two weeks), but unless Serebii already has something like that planned, it's more likely that we'll just get to them as the RNG picks them.

Ahaha, if Serebii ever made me do "starters week" I would buy a plane ticket to England just to punch him.

R/B/Y Starters week would be possible, on the anniversary of R/B being released but we're doing Venusaur this week.

Ahaha, if Serebii ever made me do "starters week" I would buy a plane ticket to England just to punch him.

R/B/Y Starters week would be possible, on the anniversary of R/B being released but we're doing Venusaur this week.
    Starter week- 12 entries (since gen 5 were done before..) and that's suicide!
    A 1 trick pony pokemon week wobbufett,unown,ditto,magikarp all of them have like... 1 set is more normal choice..
    Rodent week was okish since they were mosly useless anyway..

Do you need to do a revamp of some pokemons? some of them got new stuff in BW2 like eelektross got lots of physical options I don't mean do all of them but some notable ones..

I wonder what will happen if Arceus ill be choosen... he have 17 forms..

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Oak
    Only two things are infinite, the universe and the amount of zubat in caves, and I'm not sure about the former.
    Shortcut to damage calculator

Crap. Don't check your PMs :S

Seriously though, we're done with theme weeks. It's too draining

I'm ok with theme weeks, just not massive ones.

Remember it takes me about 2-4 hours to write each POTW article.

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021 LastLast