Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021
Results 501 to 522 of 522

Thread: Regarding our selection process

  1. #501
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Irresistiville
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mew's Spirit View Post
    I would love to see what people can think up for Lapras, but I'm probably not random number generator. Keyword is "Probably". XD

    I can see why the number generator is used. If we chose the Pokemon, then all the good Pokemon would be done at from the start, and nearing the end of the generation, all that would be left would be the BU and NU Pokemon along with most of the UU Pokemon. It wouldn't be fun at all.
    No, people would still pick those Pokemon lol. It'd be Pokemon that no one remembers like at all, such as I dunno Claydol?

  2. #502

    Default

    To be perfectly honest, we could probably have votes on certain Pokemon and still have more than enough to go through. There's probably somewhere around 300+ Pokemon that are either good or at least viable in one of Ubers, OU, UU, RU, and NU, which would give us about 6 years worth of material. However, the advantage of the RNG is that it is impartial, eliminating any hurt feelings about someone's pick not being chosen or something. It also shakes things up since every once in a while, it's kinda fun to get a PU Pokemon and try to come up with sets for it that actually work.

    So yeah, I do think voting would actually be possible as far as raw numbers go, but it's probably best to stick with the RNG.

  3. #503
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Irresistiville
    Posts
    1,019

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    To be perfectly honest, we could probably have votes on certain Pokemon and still have more than enough to go through. There's probably somewhere around 300+ Pokemon that are either good or at least viable in one of Ubers, OU, UU, RU, and NU, which would give us about 6 years worth of material. However, the advantage of the RNG is that it is impartial, eliminating any hurt feelings about someone's pick not being chosen or something. It also shakes things up since every once in a while, it's kinda fun to get a PU Pokemon and try to come up with sets for it that actually work.

    So yeah, I do think voting would actually be possible as far as raw numbers go, but it's probably best to stick with the RNG.
    Plus voting would mean even more work for Miror and we don't want our bby getting overworked (Now go close some RMT's and approve clans for us you sexy little ~~~)

  4. #504
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    SE asia, Phiippines.
    Posts
    691

    Default

    I think I can understand the vale of the Random Number Generator in terms of picking ever pokemon of the week.

    But as far as the chosen pokemon go from the very start of Black and white, I can't recall which tier had the most pokemon. My guess is that either Ubers (movie release rerasons), OU, and NU get the most pokemon presented on this generation's POTW. All I'm hoping is that before October 12, we will have an equal amount of pokemon from every tier (Can't sat much from little cup since we already start fusing them with their evolutions, with a couple misses. Like, where's Gligar? or Togetic?). Hopefully.
    Last edited by jireh the provider; 1st September 2013 at 4:20 PM.
    Current Chapter: 36: Inner Mountain Province (Click the Banner above)

  5. #505
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Hyderabad (India)
    Posts
    3,591

    Default

    With the 5th gen competitive game-play coming to its near end in about a months time and the start of the new 6th Gen. I feel like there should atleast be another Week Special covering each Gens Starters in the 5th gen competitive game-play scenario.

    Out of the 15 Starters, only 5 have been covered so far with the 5th gen perspective (the Unova Starters, Venusaur & Chrizard). This leaves us with 10 other to cover.

    I feel that there is a need to cover all the Starters (as well as update the other 5 articles), as these Starter pokemons are special and should deserve more focus especially at the end of each Gen.

    I think it would be much easier to do a type based Starters Week Special covering all the 3 types Starters in the span of 3 weeks.

  6. #506
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Bournemouth, England
    Posts
    15,828

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lucario At Service View Post
    With the 5th gen competitive game-play coming to its near end in about a months time and the start of the new 6th Gen. I feel like there should atleast be another Week Special covering each Gens Starters in the 5th gen competitive game-play scenario.

    Out of the 15 Starters, only 5 have been covered so far with the 5th gen perspective (the Unova Starters, Venusaur & Chrizard). This leaves us with 10 other to cover.

    I feel that there is a need to cover all the Starters (as well as update the other 5 articles), as these Starter pokemons are special and should deserve more focus especially at the end of each Gen.

    I think it would be much easier to do a type based Starters Week Special covering all the 3 types Starters in the span of 3 weeks.
    Unfortunately, we're going to be too busy for this, but we'll likely do something similar in Gen VI.

    For the record, assuming we have enough data by then, we'll be beginning our Gen VI Pokémon of the Week in November

  7. #507
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Um... Uh... I really don't know where else I can go to ask this. With regards to today's POTW on Togekiss... I was wondering why there wasn't a pre-evo corner for Togetic? Even since I saw Chansey's pre-evo corner, I was really looking forward to seeing what there would be to say about Togetic.

    But there's nothing there! I don't understand... Togetic can use the eviolite quite well, can't it? Why didn't he get a mention? I waited so patiently for this moment, and I somehow feel that I got... I don't know how else to put it. Ripped off? I don't think I'll be satisfied until I learn why there isn't a pre-evo corner today. I'd just like to know is all.

  8. #508
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Between Noland and Adan <3
    Posts
    4,343

    Default

    Wouldn't it make sense to start Gen VI POTW when all Egg Moves are found?

  9. #509
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    28

    Default

    im sorry but this random selection is a bit too much.
    pokemon of the week this week is Macargo? AGAIN??
    at least try to bring up pokemon that have been updated, or pokemon that werent in 5th gens pokemon of the week. its bore some to see the same pokemon.
    keep it random then but exclude the pokemon from last gen of the week unless theyve been updated. comon please.

  10. #510
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    1

    Default

    No one might see this NOW (as of 2014) but, as a suggestion, we should do a pokemon every week, from one generation. By this, I'm saying we should have say, Arcanine, Garydos, Charizrd, and Zapdos. BOOM! An entire month is covered. Do you see what I mean?

  11. #511
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    6,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cloudynamite View Post
    im sorry but this random selection is a bit too much.
    pokemon of the week this week is Macargo? AGAIN??
    at least try to bring up pokemon that have been updated, or pokemon that werent in 5th gens pokemon of the week. its bore some to see the same pokemon.
    keep it random then but exclude the pokemon from last gen of the week unless theyve been updated. comon please.
    Random Number Generator more than likely will pull up repeats. We had ~250 Fully evolved Pokémon available in Gen 5, which should last just under 5 years. We had about 136 weeks to get as many as we could, we had just over half of them done (54% based on my estimates). It was a Matter of time before we pulled up a Repeat, especially when there are only 30 new FE Pokémon.

    Many Pokémon got one or two changes, but alot changes happened to the meta game as a whole. After a month in to the New Generation, Serebii can't decide to add or remove Pokémon based purely on the Movesets, at that time the metagame as a whole was just starting to settle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi Masaki View Post
    No one might see this NOW (as of 2014) but, as a suggestion, we should do a pokemon every week, from one generation. By this, I'm saying we should have say, Arcanine, Garydos, Charizrd, and Zapdos. BOOM! An entire month is covered. Do you see what I mean?
    Serebii uses a Random Number Generator to pick and choose, the next Pokémon of the week is only known when he posts it. When I was staff, I only knew about it after Serebii posted it in this forum. He does have theme weeks, (Electric Rodent week and Eeveelution week) and has keep a few Pokémon out of the Normal running for "Special Occasions."
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr


    MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

    3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

  12. #512

    Default

    We usually have 3 or so months planned out in advance. The Pokemon are picked randomly but changed freely. For example if we get Persian and I want to do Tentacruel instead, well we're doing Tentacruel now.

    Also if possible I avoid theme weeks. The energy required for those things is ridiculous. In Electric Rat Week I just copy / pasted each entry and edited them slightly. It still took like 2 hours per day. Never again!

  13. #513
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    8

    Default

    Since you guys only do fully evolved Pokemon, it's going to take a long time to cover all 435. By long I mean it will actually over 8 years at the current pace. By that time, The Pokemon series may have ended. The only way to do it in just over a year is daily.
    FC is 1263 7145 9704 and Name is Drew.

  14. #514

    Default

    So I can't help but wonder why people think that all of the Pokemon need to be covered? If we were trying to write full competitive analyses for every Pokemon as a competitive reference, we might have a need to cover everything, but that's not the case. The POTW articles are mostly for entertainment purposes and to give Serebii users a little something to look forward to every weekend. While they may offer good competitive insight at the time of writing, they are not updated regularly as metagames change and thus can become outdated over time, so Smogon's database is still the best place to go for competitive advice.

  15. #515
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Philly
    Posts
    354

    Default

    So idk where to mention this but once again, what's with the delphox hate? This is like the 3rd or 4th time delphox is mentioned in another potw but in a negative way. Idk if it's a running joke or something but it's kinda old and unnecessary. What does delphox have to do with floatzel?
    Pokemon XY: Episode 15 is my favorite Pokemon episode OF ALL TIME (And Clemont my favorite character)

  16. #516
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Croatia
    Posts
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Supersonicbro View Post
    So idk where to mention this but once again, what's with the delphox hate? This is like the 3rd or 4th time delphox is mentioned in another potw but in a negative way. Idk if it's a running joke or something but it's kinda old and unnecessary. What does delphox have to do with floatzel?
    You can say that again. I just wrote the same thing in my Pinsir review.

    It's an old,boring and unfunny joke.
    They really need to stop with this.

    Pokegyms Double Battle Frontier Brain
    FC: 2294-4517-3671 (IGN: Alen)

    21.4.2014. National Pokedex completed

    Psychic friend safari:


    Pokegym League gym badges earned:

    Credits to Azulart for the gym badges

  17. #517
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New York, New York Baby!
    Posts
    208

    Default

    I don't mind the selection method. Yes it is irritating when Pokémon that have been done before come up again, but what can you do? The random pick is, I'm sure, to avoid bias picks, so I live with it. the one thing that I think could be changed is to occasionally purposefully pick a pokemon that hasn't been done in a long time, such as the legendary birds and dogs, among others. That would satisfy the hungry masses who keep pressuring you to do new Pokémon.
    // What kind of Dragon Tamer would I be without dragons? Click them to help them grow, or here to see them all!


    Pokegym Fighting Leader!


    Pokegym Credit: Azulart (gym badge), Venom1950 (banner)
    Trinity Credit: AstralShadow (userbars) & Kida-Ookami (badge) & Sworn Metalhead (symbol)

  18. #518
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinleaf Town
    Posts
    29

    Default

    I would like to point out that Furret has not been featured, I have looked just now as far as gen IV and no sign of it. Mainly because I am raising one in SoulSilver atm, but it surely must have some competitive use. Considering the commonness of Sentrets (I think they appear in X/Y, not sure), and so most people are likely to have one, surely it needs looking at? There are also definitely some more Pokemon that need looking at, but Furret stands out to me as one that needs a PotW. Urgently.


    Claimant of Spiritomb

  19. #519
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    NW England
    Posts
    6,147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by joe_alker View Post
    I would like to point out that Furret has not been featured, I have looked just now as far as gen IV and no sign of it. Mainly because I am raising one in SoulSilver atm, but it surely must have some competitive use. Considering the commonness of Sentrets (I think they appear in X/Y, not sure), and so most people are likely to have one, surely it needs looking at? There are also definitely some more Pokemon that need looking at, but Furret stands out to me as one that needs a PotW. Urgently.
    The selection Process in 5th gen and 6th Gen, it almost totally picked at random. Some Pokémon Starters, ledgendaries and a selection of special Pokémon are not on the random list. Furret was actually picked up during 3rd gen: http://serebii.net/potw/162.shtml (While it's not linked anyware on the site, you just need to know where to look or use the search option.

    According to Smogon.. Furret is NeverUsed regular and I don't see it changing.. Personally I think it could be time consuming when using "competitive" Pokémon to complete against most NPCS.
    Writing LJ Twitter Raptr


    MikeSharpeWriter.com -Project Elfish Jarate

    3DS - 3007 - 8991 - 4413 (VM/PM me to add you)

  20. #520

    Default

    Furret is a cool little Pokemon, but it's sadly terrible competitively. All Furret's POTW would be is another "This thing is bad, but here's what to do with it if you have to use it" sort of article. It's probably better that the RNG doesn't pick Pokemon like that so that we can get more usable Pokemon for articles that will offer a more positive analysis.

  21. #521
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Twinleaf Town
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nutter t.KK View Post
    The selection Process in 5th gen and 6th Gen, it almost totally picked at random. Some Pokémon Starters, ledgendaries and a selection of special Pokémon are not on the random list. Furret was actually picked up during 3rd gen: http://serebii.net/potw/162.shtml (While it's not linked anyware on the site, you just need to know where to look or use the search option.

    According to Smogon.. Furret is NeverUsed regular and I don't see it changing.. Personally I think it could be time consuming when using "competitive" Pokémon to complete against most NPCS.
    Sorry, my edit didn't work. I did spot it in Gen III and tried to edit, but my phone doesn't approve....

    And, well, I don't look at Smogon. It winds me up, but that's something else.


    Claimant of Spiritomb

  22. #522
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,703

    Default

    No point in keeping this open any longer.

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •