Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fad [One-Shot]

Wow,that was an amazing read. I'm glad i found this on Nachoes Sig.

I've always been a fan of Pokemon, i can still remember those days where everyone you knew as a child had a gameboy with a pokemon game of their own. Battles and trades between friends were a daily occurrence, and the rest of the time was spent talking about it. It was like a common ground for all kids. I can actually remember becoming friends with kids who i had never met before, just because they had a pokemon shirt on or something.

It's quite ironic that lately i have been feeling very nostalgic, and a tad bit sad since most of my friends aren't into pokemon anymore. I just miss the craze ya know? I miss seeing toys at every store, i miss the constant chatter about it amongst friends, i miss getting so excited about a plushie in a pokeball from burger king, I miss it being so damn popular.

Anyway,i made an account on these forums just to post in this thread. Once again that was an amazing read that really touched me, thank you for allowing me to feel a bit of nostalgia and for showing me that others feel the same way i do.

Quote Originally Posted by TrainerJecht View Post
    Wow,that was an amazing read. I'm glad i found this on Nachoes Sig.

I've always been a fan of Pokemon, i can still remember those days where everyone you knew as a child had a gameboy with a pokemon game of their own. Battles and trades between friends were a daily occurrence, and the rest of the time was spent talking about it. It was like a common ground for all kids. I can actually remember becoming friends with kids who i had never met before, just because they had a pokemon shirt on or something.

It's quite ironic that lately i have been feeling very nostalgic, and a tad bit sad since most of my friends aren't into pokemon anymore. I just miss the craze ya know? I miss seeing toys at every store, i miss the constant chatter about it amongst friends, i miss getting so excited about a plushie in a pokeball from burger king, I miss it being so damn popular.

Anyway,i made an account on these forums just to post in this thread. Once again that was an amazing read that really touched me, thank you for allowing me to feel a bit of nostalgia and for showing me that others feel the same way i do.
    I think the cards were really the big thing at my school, which was fine with me since I loved those pictures. :D I hardly ever played, but I really liked looking at everyone's cards.

I understand. It was fun to know that the Pokemon craze was everywhere and you could always find it and enjoy it.

Wow, thank you. :) That makes me feel great. I'm glad you enjoyed the story.

While this may not have been the most technically brilliant piece of literature I've ever read, it does manage to evoke just the kind of feeling you had in mind. Because a lot of us here have had our childhood practically defined by Pokémon, I think those nostalgic feelings can be brought up using very little words. I found myself constantly reflecting on my own childhood, and how Pokémon fit into it.
    What you've done really well here, I think, is confronting that romantic, nostalgic feeling with a grim sense of reality. It's as if you tell the reader "hey remember this and that and this?" and then kind of corrupt, crush those memories with a cynical, realistic look on things. By doing that, it's as if you remind the reader (or at least me) that playtime's up, your childhood's at an end, it's time to move on. The very thing that has defined your early years must take a step back now.
    Idk, maybe it's just me who interprets this story that way. The fact that I'm in the middle of my second year at University now and that everyone expects me to be the hardworking, grown up young man; and even more so the fact that I don't really (want to) recognise myself in this new 'me', probably has a lot to do with it.
    I'm curious if you also had something like this in mind when writing this, or if it's only me who gets that message from this story.

Ugh, sorry for the long *** post btw ^^"
    tl;dr - great job, hits home

I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said already, but... wow. This is really, really good. I didn't discover Pokemon until the third generation, but I still feel somewhat nostalgic about the past, and this story really hit home. All the little details about his journey are simultaneously amusing and saddening. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Flashflood View Post
    While this may not have been the most technically brilliant piece of literature I've ever read, it does manage to evoke just the kind of feeling you had in mind. Because a lot of us here have had our childhood practically defined by Pokémon, I think those nostalgic feelings can be brought up using very little words. I found myself constantly reflecting on my own childhood, and how Pokémon fit into it.
    What you've done really well here, I think, is confronting that romantic, nostalgic feeling with a grim sense of reality. It's as if you tell the reader "hey remember this and that and this?" and then kind of corrupt, crush those memories with a cynical, realistic look on things. By doing that, it's as if you remind the reader (or at least me) that playtime's up, your childhood's at an end, it's time to move on. The very thing that has defined your early years must take a step back now.
    Idk, maybe it's just me who interprets this story that way. The fact that I'm in the middle of my second year at University now and that everyone expects me to be the hardworking, grown up young man; and even more so the fact that I don't really (want to) recognise myself in this new 'me', probably has a lot to do with it.
    I'm curious if you also had something like this in mind when writing this, or if it's only me who gets that message from this story.

Ugh, sorry for the long *** post btw ^^"
    tl;dr - great job, hits home
    Haha well it was meant less as a giant middle finger to everyone's childhood and more as a (positive, actually, as sad as the whole story may seem) look back on all the fun that Pokemon has brought. The message wasn't exactly "It's over," but instead "It was fun while it lasted," which I think is really what you want to take away from any experience. And as you grow (which it seems you are), you keep the lessons you learned and apply them.

I'm glad you liked it. :) Good luck at University.

Quote Originally Posted by Mei View Post
    I don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said already, but... wow. This is really, really good. I didn't discover Pokemon until the third generation, but I still feel somewhat nostalgic about the past, and this story really hit home. All the little details about his journey are simultaneously amusing and saddening. Well done.
    The third generation is actually a convenient to find Pokemon for reading this story, assuming you've played FireRed or LeafGreen (which, along with RSE, have already developed their own nostalgic memories for a lot of people, which I think is cool). I'm happy that, even though this specific strand of nostalgia might not directly apply to you, you could still enjoy it. Thank you for reading. ;)

Oh, wow. I... I don't know what... to... say. First off, Diamond was my first game. Ever since then, I've been a devoted Pokemon fan. So, you're probably thinking that since I wasn't even born when the games came out, that this would mean alot less to me than those born in the 90's.

WRONG!!!!!!
    Anyway, I've always wanted someone to play my games with. It's always been, me. In my school, Pokemon is "uncool" to those mean, snobbish popular kids, and everyone else believes them. I've always thought that Pokemon will always be that way. But after reading this story, I've realized, that Pokemon represents pure, childlike innocence. Pokemon was a fun, adventurous place to kids, and growing up took that innocence. And how, I don't want to lose that feeling either, and that's a fear I've had for a long time.

Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about, and how in the world it relates with the story? I doubt it, no one ever does. Anyway, really fantastic story!
    http://i1082.photobucket.com/albums/...pynegaiday.png" width="468" height="100">

"To date, life has been a race between software companies making bigger and better idiot proof machines, and the Universe making bigger and better idiots. The Universe is winning." -Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by floracat View Post
    Oh, wow. I... I don't know what... to... say. First off, Diamond was my first game. Ever since then, I've been a devoted Pokemon fan. So, you're probably thinking that since I wasn't even born when the games came out, that this would mean alot less to me than those born in the 90's.

WRONG!!!!!!
    Anyway, I've always wanted someone to play my games with. It's always been, me. In my school, Pokemon is "uncool" to those mean, snobbish popular kids, and everyone else believes them. I've always thought that Pokemon will always be that way. But after reading this story, I've realized, that Pokemon represents pure, childlike innocence. Pokemon was a fun, adventurous place to kids, and growing up took that innocence. And how, I don't want to lose that feeling either, and that's a fear I've had for a long time.

Does anyone know what the heck I'm talking about, and how in the world it relates with the story? I doubt it, no one ever does. Anyway, really fantastic story!
    Hey there,i know how you feel. i remember having people to play with when i was around 7. As time went by,less and less of my friends seemed to care about Pokemon. It's saddens me. It's true that these days Pokemon is not popular anymore, at least not like it used to be, but that doesn't mean there aren't people who care about it. You just have to find the right group, sites such as this serve as a community/outlet for Pokemon fans such as ourselves. The people here share the same passion you do.

Also, even though we are growing up, it doesn't mean we can't carry things from our past with us. The memories and fun we had with Pokemon ( and still continue to have) will always be with us. Don't be bothered by what other people think. If you enjoy doing something then do it. Besides, i'm sure there are quite a few people who will still be enjoying Pokemon for a loooong time, me being one of them. xD

Quote Originally Posted by floracat View Post

WRONG!!!!!!

I know what you mean. It's important to mature as you get older but I don't think you should have to lose all of the excitement and innocence that makes being a kid so much fun. I think Pokemon has become something that everyone can enjoy and even if it'll never quite be the same as it once was, in a way, it helps you enjoy the fun you once had when you were younger.

Anyway, I'm glad you liked it. :)

:'(

That was...that was beautiful. It left me with a barren sense of emptiness and sadness, and that seems basically the story of my life (minus the aspect I'm female and--sadly--not an cough*official*cough Pokemon Trainer).

I remember the days everyone in their brother was playing Pokemon on their DS's, and trading cards, and a couple of me and my buddies even RP'd some stuff, like how we were Legendaries trying to avoid gazes of humans.

That story is so true that it's heartbreaking...where did all the love go, the happiness, the innocence?

I know I'm only enforcing what everyone else is saying, but I do have something to add; no matter what, fad or not, I will always be a Pokemon fan forever. And you can count on that.

Excellent story, btw. Though I was't a fan from the beginning, it reached out to me. Bravo.
    True Pokemon fans don't HAVE a signature.

Wow, this really hit me. It's a beautifully crafted story, and it almost brought tears to my eyes. I rarely ever think about what might happen past a trainer's journey. You can always just restart the game and things happen again, just like clockwork. To imagine people like Oak, the guard, Bill, and even the player's mother moving on like this, and the world itself passing training and battling by...that's almost too much to handle. So I would say that this is a very awesome story, and incredibly original. Bravo!
    Dimensions of Darkness - on hiatus l Sgt. Froakie - ongoing l Envoy - upcoming

harmoNy - one-shot l The Piplup and Chimchar Variety Hour - on hiatus
    Author's Profile

Latest Chapter (Sgt. Froakie): Chapter 2 - Beware the Cute Ones
    Credit to Astral Shadow for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by SnowyPiplup View Post
    :'(

That was...that was beautiful. It left me with a barren sense of emptiness and sadness, and that seems basically the story of my life (minus the aspect I'm female and--sadly--not an cough*official*cough Pokemon Trainer).

I remember the days everyone in their brother was playing Pokemon on their DS's, and trading cards, and a couple of me and my buddies even RP'd some stuff, like how we were Legendaries trying to avoid gazes of humans.

That story is so true that it's heartbreaking...where did all the love go, the happiness, the innocence?

I know I'm only enforcing what everyone else is saying, but I do have something to add; no matter what, fad or not, I will always be a Pokemon fan forever. And you can count on that. :)

Excellent story, btw. Though I was't a fan from the beginning, it reached out to me. Bravo.
    Official as you ever can be. XD And it's good to know that some fans will be there forever. As long as people love it, it'll always be around.

Thanks for reviewing. :) Your post made me smile.

Quote Originally Posted by GalladeRocks View Post
    Wow, this really hit me. It's a beautifully crafted story, and it almost brought tears to my eyes. I rarely ever think about what might happen past a trainer's journey. You can always just restart the game and things happen again, just like clockwork. To imagine people like Oak, the guard, Bill, and even the player's mother moving on like this, and the world itself passing training and battling by...that's almost too much to handle. So I would say that this is a very awesome story, and incredibly original. Bravo!
    I love stories that expand on canon (specifically the game canon) so this was really fun to write. And sometimes the sadder thoughts are the most interesting ones to write. So thank you for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoyed it so much.

Wow, that was...sad. [In a good way, of course, since I'm pretty sure that's the emotion you're trying to convey. =P]

I really like the way you describe things, which was important seeing as it's one of the central aspects of the story itself. The depressing way you describe Pallet Town was arguably better in conveying the emotion than the character himself, but that may be just me.

I'm kind-of put off by your ending, though, with the trainer reminiscing about Bill and the guard and the S.S. Anne Captain. As Breezy had said, they seem out-of-place from the whole thing, and it felt more like extensions rather than actual parts of the story. You already achieved the feeling of nostalgia with the trainer going around Pallet Town, so I don't think you needed it to take it further and describe other key points of the Kanto journey, especially since you didn't give as much focus on them as you did with Pallet Town.

A few other things:

She smiled from the plastic lawn sign as if nothing was wrong. As if the mere presence of her face wasn’t itself an atrocity.
    I don't get who "she" and "her" is referring to. The house? The mom? Caroline Burnes?

at which he and his mother had talked every morning before he left to play or go school and every night after he returned, dirty and tired, was gone.
    You're missing a "to".

One thing in the room remained. The old television set, rabbit ears and all, sat on the wooden floor.
    It's kind-of contradictory since earlier on in this paragraph you say that "it was the first time he had seen it empty in his entire life". Maybe you mean empty in the sense that it wasn't as "full" as it used to be, but of course I'd assume that empty means nothing at all. Not really a mistake, just a bit confusing. XD

A house much nicer than his own, with nice looking people and a mean little boy.
    I think those two words need to be hyphenated.

Overall, though, it's a nice one-shot. You brought out the emotions really well, and I admit I can relate to this as well since Yellow was my first game [that I played. Red was the first game I saw. XD] If this is how you write in a one-shot, then I should really be getting to see how you write in chaptered fics.

Berries -- Humans of Hoenn -- A Friday -- Escape Rope

images were taken from four specific web pages of Serebii.net

Real men keep fads alive. This reminds me of all the days I spent thinking Pokemon was over back in the 2000's, after I grew out of the cartoon, and not giving a **** about it. Now, it's my favorite game. Ironic, eh? I guess I'm a living example of Red's message at the end.

I salute you, Red. *cries manly tears of manly nostalgia*
    Last edited by Sgeckledorf Spoongeblorb; 25th April 2011 at 3:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dramatic Melody View Post
    I'm kind-of put off by your ending, though, with the trainer reminiscing about Bill and the guard and the S.S. Anne Captain. As Breezy had said, they seem out-of-place from the whole thing, and it felt more like extensions rather than actual parts of the story. You already achieved the feeling of nostalgia with the trainer going around Pallet Town, so I don't think you needed it to take it further and describe other key points of the Kanto journey, especially since you didn't give as much focus on them as you did with Pallet Town.
    I can definitely see you guys' point, so I'm trying to work on another ending that doesn't include those specific memories. I have to admit, though, I kind of have a fondness for the ending I have now, so I'll have to write something I like even more before I replace it. ^^; I realize that sounds pretty douchey.

A few other things:
    I don't get who "she" and "her" is referring to. The house? The mom? Caroline Burnes?
    You're missing a "to".
    It's kind-of contradictory since earlier on in this paragraph you say that "it was the first time he had seen it empty in his entire life". Maybe you mean empty in the sense that it wasn't as "full" as it used to be, but of course I'd assume that empty means nothing at all. Not really a mistake, just a bit confusing. XD
    I think those two words need to be hyphenated.
    All fixed (hopefully including the ones that aren't strictly grammar-related, since I kind of just worked with those until they made sense in my head XD ). :]

Overall, though, it's a nice one-shot. You brought out the emotions really well, and I admit I can relate to this as well since Yellow was my first game [that I played. Red was the first game I saw. XD] If this is how you write in a one-shot, then I should really be getting to see how you write in chaptered fics. :)
    I'm actually working on one right now, so hopefully I can maintain that and eventually post it.

Thank you so much for the wonderful review. I'm glad you can relate and even happier you enjoyed it. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeckledorf Spoongeblorb View Post
    Real men keep fads alive. This reminds me of all the days I spent thinking Pokemon was over back in the 2000's, after I grew out of the cartoon, and not giving a **** about it. Now, it's my favorite game. Ironic, eh? I guess I'm a living example of Red's message at the end.

I salute you, Red. *cries manly tears of manly nostalgia*
    Hell yeah we do! [/ubermanly]. I'm glad you came back around. People completely growing out of things makes me sad. :(

Haha, thanks for the review.

My gosh, what a beautifully nostalgic story. Great, great one-shot right here. It sets in reality and puts into perspective just how much times have changed.

I've been around for Pokemon since its early days. Crystal was my first game, but I still remember the fad's golden years and actively participated in the hype, and maybe not having a Pokemon game early on made the mystery that much deeper for me, making those memories that much more nostalgic.

I'm going to copy NACHOE! and put this into my signature (with credit to you, of course), if that's OK. I want everyone to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grei View Post
    My gosh, what a beautifully nostalgic story. Great, great one-shot right here. It sets in reality and puts into perspective just how much times have changed.
    Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it.

I've been around for Pokemon since its early days. Crystal was my first game, but I still remember the fad's golden years and actively participated in the hype, and maybe not having a Pokemon game early on made the mystery that much deeper for me, making those memories that much more nostalgic.
    It was quite a fun time. I can't imagine seeing in all the fun happening without a game to play along. But of course that would give you an even different sort of nostalgia about the whole thing. I know that even if I come into something a few years after it begins, the early years still make me nostalgic somehow. ;) Ex: 90s sitcoms. I was like five at the time they were airing so I obviously wasn't watching, but when I see their older episodes, I somehow get sad. xD

I'm going to copy NACHOE! and put this into my signature (with credit to you, of course), if that's OK. I want everyone to read this.
    I would be honored. :) Thanks for the review!

Nice story man, real nice. sad, but in a good way, i don't really know why but it is. =)

Anyways as far as pokemon never being real, yeah IRL it never will, but there's nothing stopping virtual reality creating a fully functional real time pokemon MMO universe.

I know the tech is comming and i'm planning on working my way into the industry to be able to create memories like the ones we have of pokemon for people of all ages. If i ever got the chance to wrok on a Pokemon universe, i would learn japanese, sell my house and move to japan to help out with the project, without giving it a second thought.

But then again, like your story and as much as i love pokemon, maybe ill just lose interest somewhere along the line, right now i don't imagine i ever will truely lose interest, but, as sad as it is, it's possible.

Nice story man, real nice. sad, but in a good way, i don't really know why but it is. =)

Anyways as far as pokemon never being real, yeah IRL it never will, but there's nothing stopping virtual reality creating a fully functional real time pokemon MMO universe.

I know the tech is comming and i'm planning on working my way into the industry to be able to create memories like the ones we have of pokemon for people of all ages. If i ever got the chance to wrok on a Pokemon universe, i would learn japanese, sell my house and move to japan to help out with the project, without giving it a second thought.

But then again, like your story and as much as i love pokemon, maybe ill just lose interest somewhere along the line, right now i don't imagine i ever will truely lose interest, but, as sad as it is, it's possible.

wow, how's this for nostalgia? the first game I ever played was Pokemon Blue, way back in the year 2000 when I was 7 years old. I loved the first gen (I thought I was the only one who bought a lemonade for the guard, just to be sure), and the second and the third. But now, while I still like Pokemon, it's lost the 'grip' it had on me. I never understood why, but I think it's because I'm older now and, like your great piece, the world and myself have moved on.

I remember imagining if I were a trainer and I remember my friends and I all talking about this great fad during school.

This is great, thanks for evoking some fun memories.
    Progress in society's medicine
    "Doctor, I have an ear ache."
    2000 BC - "Here, eat this root."
    1000 BC - "That root is heathen, say this prayer."
    1850 AD - "That prayer is superstition, drink this potion."
    1940 AD - "That potion is snake oil, swallow this pill."
    1985 AD - "That pill is ineffective, take this antibiotic."
    2000 AD - "That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root!"

Was your first Pokemon game Red, Blue or Yellow? Yes? Read this.

Spoiler:- QUOTES:

Quote Originally Posted by [Imaginative]:[Clockwork] View Post
    It was quite a fun time. I can't imagine seeing in all the fun happening without a game to play along. But of course that would give you an even different sort of nostalgia about the whole thing.
    It really was. And not having a game... actually enveloped me further into the fad, I think. I would play my friends' games whenever I went to their houses, and each play was sort of like a teaser. Now I wonder what it would have been like had I joined into the fad when most other people did. You're right, it definitely gives a different meaning to one's nostalgia, depending one how and why they were involved with it.

Quote Originally Posted by [Imaginative
    :[Clockwork]]I know that even if I come into something a few years after it begins, the early years still make me nostalgic somehow. Ex: 90s sitcoms. I was like five at the time they were airing so I obviously wasn't watching, but when I see their older episodes, I somehow get sad. xD
    I agree! No matter what, the early years of a franchise or series are always great for the newcomer, because it's a brand new opening into an entirely new world. I suppose that's why this can appeal to everyone, really, because everyone who likes Pokemon has experienced the excitement of their respective early years.

Quote Originally Posted by [Imaginative
    :[Clockwork]]I would be honored. Thanks for the review!
    Sorry! I sort of added it to my signature without really waiting for your permission. Oops. :S

But thank you, for writing this!

This is the sixth thing ever to make me cry, the others being all pokemon-, pain-, or yawn-related. This brings back so many memories of when I was first introduced to Pokemon in Preschool and how much I pretended to be pokemon with my friends. My first game was Crystal, but I had been wanting pokemon games since 2 or 3 years before. I am an anime fan to this day. This draws up all of my feeling of sadness and anger at those who abandoned pokemon in the 3rd Gen.....excuse me. I have to go cry now.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelArson View Post

Ha, that would definitely be interesting. Come to think of it, why hasn't anyone made that? :/ I want it now.

You should definitely get to work on that. ;) I'm not sure I would be willing to do the same, even if I knew what I was doing in that area.

I hope you can stick with it. I would imagine that the further you explore the more technical side, the passion for playing might be leave and be replaced by a passion for creating. Hopefully. xD

Thanks for the review!

Quote Originally Posted by Vermehlo_Steele View Post
    wow, how's this for nostalgia? the first game I ever played was Pokemon Blue, way back in the year 2000 when I was 7 years old. I loved the first gen (I thought I was the only one who bought a lemonade for the guard, just to be sure), and the second and the third. But now, while I still like Pokemon, it's lost the 'grip' it had on me. I never understood why, but I think it's because I'm older now and, like your great piece, the world and myself have moved on.
    I had Blue too! *high five* It's the same way for me. I haven't even bought HGSS yet, which are games I've been looking forward to for forever. It's sad to say, but I guess the awkwardness of buying a Pokemon game has finally outweighed my interest in playing them. Actually, I just woke up from a dream where I bought them, but that's not important. XP

Quote Originally Posted by Vermehlo_Steele View Post
    I remember imagining if I were a trainer and I remember my friends and I all talking about this great fad during school.

This is great, thanks for evoking some fun memories.
    I think Pokemon Trainer was among many, many lists of kids' dream careers back then (including mine). :) Thank you so much for reading.

It really was. And not having a game... actually enveloped me further into the fad, I think. I would play my friends' games whenever I went to their houses, and each play was sort of like a teaser. Now I wonder what it would have been like had I joined into the fad when most other people did. You're right, it definitely gives a different meaning to one's nostalgia, depending one how and why they were involved with it.
    This is stupid, but I'm actually feeling a little nostalgic just imagining your situation. I was the exact opposite, though. My brother, my cousins, and I were always playing Pokemon together (up until the end of the 2nd generation) so I was very immersed in the fad. There are just so many things I remember about the games and so many key moments and it all just floods me with nostalgia. That feeling of happiness and sadness mixed together was what I really wanted to capture with this story.

I agree! No matter what, the early years of a franchise or series are always great for the newcomer, because it's a brand new opening into an entirely new world. I suppose that's why this can appeal to everyone, really, because everyone who likes Pokemon has experienced the excitement of their respective early years.
    It would be very interesting to have, like, the 4th generation be your first and then "discover" all of the older games. I wonder if a person like that would like them or just think they're low-quality, boring old games. I know one of the biggest reasons I love the older games (and really anything from that time period) is because it was all during my childhood, so I can't imagine what someone who was born later would think of them.

Sorry! I sort of added it to my signature without really waiting for your permission. Oops. :S

But thank you, for writing this!
    Lol, it's fine. You're welcome! And thank you again! XD

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMudkip View Post
    This is the sixth thing ever to make me cry, the others being all pokemon-, pain-, or yawn-related. This brings back so many memories of when I was first introduced to Pokemon in Preschool and how much I pretended to be pokemon with my friends. My first game was Crystal, but I had been wanting pokemon games since 2 or 3 years before. I am an anime fan to this day. This draws up all of my feeling of sadness and anger at those who abandoned pokemon in the 3rd Gen.....excuse me. I have to go cry now.
    Aw, but I wanted to make people happy too! I hope they were at least somewhat happy tears. :') You should have demanded those 1st gen games! >:D I don't really watch the anime anymore, but my dream gift would be first season. Talk about nostalgia. I think the weird thing about the 3rd gen is, even though it lost a lot of fans, it was also a fresh start for the series, and became sort of a second 1st gen for a lot of little kids who had never played before, which is really nice. As annoyed as I was initially with RS (I wanted Kanto back. ;_; ), I have to admit that I have my own nostalgic memories of playing those now. That's also when I started peeking onto the internet to get Pokemon information, so there's just so much during that time that's Pokemon-related for me, it's hard to really dislike anything about the 3rd gen. Also, FRLG! :D

Haha, thanks for the review!

This is very well-written, and captures how I'm sure many of the "veteran" players such as myself feel thinking back to the very first games. Pallet Town was the perfect setting for this -- it brings back so many memories, probably more than anywhere else in the games. When I was messing around with the "Old Sounds/Music" thing on HG, and went to Pallet Town, I started tearing up. Sometimes you don't realize how much of an impact seemingly small things have on you until you look back at them.

Quote Originally Posted by river-wolf View Post
    This is very well-written, and captures how I'm sure many of the "veteran" players such as myself feel thinking back to the very first games. Pallet Town was the perfect setting for this -- it brings back so many memories, probably more than anywhere else in the games. When I was messing around with the "Old Sounds/Music" thing on HG, and went to Pallet Town, I started tearing up. Sometimes you don't realize how much of an impact seemingly small things have on you until you look back at them.
    Yeah, I thought Pallet Town was really the only place it could be. I mean, Pallet Town is the beginning of everything so where else could it be? I always thought that Old Sounds thing was a really cool feature in those games and (if I ever bought them ._____. ) I would probably be using that a lot, just for the sake of nostalgia. xD Thanks for the review!

I think it's time for me to move this thing to the Completed Fics section, so I'll be PMing a mod as soon as I post this. :) I honestly can't believe that this one-shot got so many reviews and touched so many people and I'm really grateful for all of you reviewing and sharing your memories and allowing me to share mine. I got excited every time I saw someone had brought this back from the dead since it meant I could relive the old days for just a little longer. However, I also think that everything that could be said has been said. I just hope that someday, someone will read this again after it's in the completed section, and maybe get inspired to start writing (which, incidentally, is a very similar situation to how I got started writing).

But I've gone on long enough. Thank you all so much for everything. :)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12