View Poll Results: PO or Smogon Tiers?

Voters
147. You may not vote on this poll
  • PO

    32 21.77%
  • Smogon

    115 78.23%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 110

Thread: PO Tiers VS Smogon Tiers

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UStrainer40137 View Post
    Bans, bans, bans, this is why I do uber battles.
    Don't insult me for playing all out.
    That is soooooooooooo my logic. Besides, the uber tier is probs the most balanced tier atm, if not the most versatile.
    Start playing ubers, not OU. Serebii needs more ubers players!

    Join my new forum:

    http://rayquazasheaven.freeforums.org/index.php



    Credit to J-Master!

    Will not be active on weekdays due to school.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Quincy, IL
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calze6 View Post
    That is soooooooooooo my logic. Besides, the uber tier is probs the most balanced tier atm, if not the most versatile.

    That's not even close to being right. Actually, that's never been right.

    Although the sentence after that is true.
    If I seem like a jerk, at least know it's with good intention.
    "Man is nothing but a miserable pile of secrets." -Dracula SOTN

  3. #53
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    66

    Default

    If you played ubers then you would know that calze is right.
    Ladder Peaks
    1v1-1/Standard Ubers-2/Standard OU-7/CAP-1/Dream World Ubers-1
    AKA Plusle on Smogon--Member of Team Serebii for Forum Invatational

    [IMG]http://i55.*******.com/15mb492.gif[/IMG]
        Spoiler:- Credit:

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Quincy, IL
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Ubers is not the most balanced tier. It has nothing to do with playing Ubers, OU, UU, or that new created tier.

    Although the tiers are still benging (Smogon is going slowly, PO rushing through ---> Not saying either is wrong)

    Balance will never be close to being "better" in Ubers. However, he is certainly right in the fact it is the most versatile. I have no argument there.
    If I seem like a jerk, at least know it's with good intention.
    "Man is nothing but a miserable pile of secrets." -Dracula SOTN

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Yeah, I think Uber is kinda balanced. When you are building an Uber team, you have to consider and carry a counter for EVERY pokemon in the tier because all of them can be dangerous threats, unlike in OU, where you just have to consider some of the most used threat.
    I'm tired of signatures...

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Its not balanced like OU. Its just harder to tell how broken everything is when the entire tier is bursting with 140+ attack stats and STAB Draco Meteors.

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Quincy, IL
    Posts
    657

    Default

    Personally, most people I speak with believe UU is probably the most balanced tier at th e current moment.

    The thing most people are not understanding the more versatile a tier is the less balanced it is. The more factors you take into account/yata yata.

    Where as a tier with less factors will almost always be more balanced.

    Just like fighitng games, more often than not a fighter with less characters will be more balanced than one without. MVC2 V. MVC3, MK2 Vs. MK3, SSB/SSBM Vs. SSBB, and more.
    If I seem like a jerk, at least know it's with good intention.
    "Man is nothing but a miserable pile of secrets." -Dracula SOTN

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Actually, Ubers, having the hyper broken-*** things when put together is actually really balanced. There is always a way to check everything with an offensive team or defensive team, even SD arceus (with scarf dialga or terakion).

    Considering there is a lot less to check, it becomes more balanced.
    Start playing ubers, not OU. Serebii needs more ubers players!

    Join my new forum:

    http://rayquazasheaven.freeforums.org/index.php



    Credit to J-Master!

    Will not be active on weekdays due to school.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Invading Pekopon, de arimasu!
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    By definition, no one SHOULD care if Ubers is balanced or not. It's a banlist where anything goes, and that's how it's always been.

    From what I know, I would suppose Smogon still has an edge with its tier listing, but even so, after the fiasco that was Drizzle+Swift Swim (That discussion went on for ages, don't even think about trying to ask about that)m well... Both sites' userbase are pretty dense, but I can't even speak on my behalf, since I don't battle anymore, just observe.

    In the end, I'm pretty biased towards Smogon, but that's just me.
    [img]http://i35.*******.com/2s0bg9h.png[/img]
    3DS FC: 1032 - 1228 - 8506 (Be sure to VM/PM me if you add me)
    dA|FF.net|Youtube

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    2,151

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LightingKimba View Post
    By definition, no one SHOULD care if Ubers is balanced or not. It's a banlist where anything goes, and that's how it's always been.

    From what I know, I would suppose Smogon still has an edge with its tier listing, but even so, after the fiasco that was Drizzle+Swift Swim (That discussion went on for ages, don't even think about trying to ask about that)m well... Both sites' userbase are pretty dense, but I can't even speak on my behalf, since I don't battle anymore, just observe.

    In the end, I'm pretty biased towards Smogon, but that's just me.
    Both sites have some terrible members, but at least Smogon has the higher level skill to back it up. Pokemon Online has.. Kokoloko?

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Invading Pekopon, de arimasu!
    Posts
    1,347

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Both sites have some terrible members, but at least Smogon has the higher level skill to back it up. Pokemon Online has.. Kokoloko?
    I wouldn't know the userbase there. :V I just know it's a site with a simulator on it, is all.
    [img]http://i35.*******.com/2s0bg9h.png[/img]
    3DS FC: 1032 - 1228 - 8506 (Be sure to VM/PM me if you add me)
    dA|FF.net|Youtube

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I read the first couple of posts, and skimmed through the rest of the thread.

    All I can say is, yes our tiering process hasn't been ideal thus far but we're doing the best we can. The best way to help change our tiers is to participate in discussions on the forums and to battle on the server.

    Furthermore, there is extensive ongoing discussion about a new suspect nomination/voting process which should vastly improve things.

    I'm not going to comment on whether one is better or the other (PO vs Smogon) because it honestly comes down to a matter of personal preference for the most part. I'm not the one to say which is right or which is wrong, and truthfully, neither is anyone else. Hopefully we'll be able to please a wider range of people with our new system.

    If you prefer one over the other, then more power to you but there's no sense in going around needlessly bashing either system. Your energies would be better spent trying to help improve whichever one you believe is flawed. :)

    Happy Pokemoning!

    http://pokemon-online.eu - The most up-to-date Pokemon battle simulator.
    Now with Pokemon Black/White, Diamond/Pearl, Ruby/Sapphire, and Gold/Silver generations!
    Red/Blue coming soon.

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    the sunniest place on Earth
    Posts
    247

    Default

    To me, I couldn't give less of a ****. Teirs are just something made up. If I made teirs, it would be by pokemon that actually suck. Look at Typhlosion for a minute. My favorite ****ing pokemon. Best Eruption Scarfed pokemon there is. Sure, Entei has the same speed, but its Special Attack sucks. He's better than Groudon. Since Groudon's ability can set up sun, 150x1.5x1.5=337.5 Base power. I say if I don't have to do it, I'm not going to do it. So suck it Smogon and PO.
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

    I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.


    credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

    Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    17

    Default

    The only thing wrong with Smogon is that many users on there are evil. The tiers for both sites are mostly similar anyway.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    California, USA
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Who's bound to screw up the tiers? Smogon took out Salamence AND Garchomp because they could NOT devise counters toward them.
    My Dream Ice Team

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    california
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ~_Cloud_Strife_~ View Post
    Who's bound to screw up the tiers? Smogon took out Salamence AND Garchomp because they could NOT devise counters toward them.
    Scizor came into popularity because he could revenge-kill Salamence after Platinum came out. Weavile was also there to revenge-kill Garchomp in early D/P.

    But the fact that these two pokemon were some of the only checks added to the fact that the Gen IV metagame was beginning to revolve around them. It was more overcentralization than anything else. And I can safely say good riddance, with them gone, Generation IV OU was and will be the most stable metagame probably ever.

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Posts
    949

    Default

    They are not counters. They are checks. Neither can switch into mence's flamethrower.
    Start playing ubers, not OU. Serebii needs more ubers players!

    Join my new forum:

    http://rayquazasheaven.freeforums.org/index.php



    Credit to J-Master!

    Will not be active on weekdays due to school.

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    california
    Posts
    204

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by calze6 View Post
    They are not counters. They are checks. Neither can switch into mence's flamethrower.
    Yeah, I know, but you still get what I meant.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    3

    Default

    OK you are all complaining like little girls about how PO tiers suck at least they actually test pokemon out for their tiers when moving pokemon from OU to Uber and test pokemon on their Stats, Move-sets and abilities and not because they are very Overused a great example is Salamence he was not a huge threat to the meta-game but in a 15 man vote that took like a week to decide and was banned to ubers where he sucked Di*k and just became a waste of a Pokemon. PO at least tests their pokemon in both tiers to see if they belong in that tier and how large of a effect they have in their tiers they test counters that they have and who they counter and if they see that they aren't meta-game breakers they stay they aren't like Smogon where they just ban pokemon left and right just because people like to Bit*h that their teams cant fight 1 or 2 pokemon everyone has counters in their respective tiers and if they don't then they are moved into tiers that better suit them not just thrown in Ubers like its a place to hide pokemon that a few guys don't like fighting in standard play and if a pokemon is put down in UU it means nothing to OU play cause you can still use them and PO at least has a structure for their UU tiers unlike Smogon that just has 3 Major Tier labels for Pokemon Uber, OU, UU. PO just has a more thought out structured from of play its very obvious that they test their tiers more thoroughly than Smogon
    Yo people fight me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Pm me if you down for a fight !!!
    FC - 4511 2654 9662
    Name - Snake
    Lv 100
    Legends are allowed
    NO UBERS !!!

  20. #70

    Default

    ^
    Ignorant post is ignorant.

    Your saying Mence wasn't a threat in 4th gen OU? Sure it wasn't impossible to stop but it would usually manage to take down at least one of the opponents pokes without much prediction. The test on Mence lasted at least a month, not under a week so I don't know where you got those facts. Who cares that it doesn't stand out in Ubers. Ubers is for things that break OU not things which are good in Ubers, otherwise we would probably have Scizor and Forretress in 4th gen Ubers based on how well they did. Tbh PO's testing isn't even remotely close to Smogon's. You say its better but they actually spend LESS time testing as they usually spent a week or two for each suspect as opposed to Smogon who spends a miniumum of one month. PO uses a more casual voting method which is by definition less structured than Smogon's ladder requirement system. Also, people complaining about pokes don't get it banned. Tons of people complain about Reuniclus but it was voted OU overwhelmingly last time. Only players who do well enough on the ladder get to vote, and if they make it that high than they most likely know enough to vote.

    I don't see what you are rambling about as far as UU is concerned. Smogon also has it to where you can use UUs in OU, and they always have, so they are no different from PO in that regard. The only difference between them right now is PO has started testing UU in 5th gen while Smogon has decided to focus on completing OU before working down. In other words they are trying to be more thorough, whereas PO are the ones who are rushing into UU.

    I'm not saying PO's bad or anything, just that Smogon is better in terms of tiering systems. They also have better, and more serious competitive players than PO for the most part.
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaveli
    The user above is me, a major sleazy wh0re!!

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    ジョ-ト
    Posts
    551

    Default

    I have followed Smogon's ever since I began obeying tier lists. Although I still raise competitive pokemon, I haven't done any wifi battling in a long time.

    -1st place at my Toughest Trainer Tournament
    -Friend Codes
    -White: 3954 6397 8535
    -Diamond: 2019 6150 4056

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    In your dreams...
    Posts
    949

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blckshadow01515 View Post
    OK you are all complaining like little girls about how PO tiers suck at least they actually test pokemon out for their tiers when moving pokemon from OU to Uber and test pokemon on their Stats, Move-sets and abilities and not because they are very Overused a great example is Salamence he was not a huge threat to the meta-game but in a 15 man vote that took like a week to decide and was banned to ubers where he sucked Di*k and just became a waste of a Pokemon. PO at least tests their pokemon in both tiers to see if they belong in that tier and how large of a effect they have in their tiers they test counters that they have and who they counter and if they see that they aren't meta-game breakers they stay they aren't like Smogon where they just ban pokemon left and right just because people like to Bit*h that their teams cant fight 1 or 2 pokemon everyone has counters in their respective tiers and if they don't then they are moved into tiers that better suit them not just thrown in Ubers like its a place to hide pokemon that a few guys don't like fighting in standard play and if a pokemon is put down in UU it means nothing to OU play cause you can still use them and PO at least has a structure for their UU tiers unlike Smogon that just has 3 Major Tier labels for Pokemon Uber, OU, UU. PO just has a more thought out structured from of play its very obvious that they test their tiers more thoroughly than Smogon
    Cool story bro. Smogon made NU and LC, btw. A poke that does well in a metagame is generally pretty good, imo.
    Start playing ubers, not OU. Serebii needs more ubers players!

    Join my new forum:

    http://rayquazasheaven.freeforums.org/index.php



    Credit to J-Master!

    Will not be active on weekdays due to school.

  23. #73

    Default

    I almost want to say tiers exist for a reason. I used to be kinda for, kinda against tiers. Now after playing so many random battles on the 5th gen random battle wi-fi I really see the need for tiers. Majority of fights all I see is a garchomp and other legendaries or psuedo-legendaries on EVERY SINGLE TEAM!

    It's really starting to tick me off. I don't think anyone battles to enjoy it on there and instead just "plays to win" and picks anything and everything with giant base stat totals.

    I hear PO tiers are based on usage percentages to a degree. Which would work "initially" but then people would just move onto the next best thing they can should what they used before be put out of the tier they had been using that particular pokemon in.
    My shiny collection all on Black now
    Chained: MM: Events: RE:

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Posts
    194

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blckshadow01515 View Post
    OK you are all complaining like little girls about how PO tiers suck at least they actually test pokemon out for their tiers when moving pokemon from OU to Uber and test pokemon on their Stats, Move-sets and abilities and not because they are very Overused a great example is Salamence he was not a huge threat to the meta-game but in a 15 man vote that took like a week to decide and was banned to ubers where he sucked Di*k and just became a waste of a Pokemon. PO at least tests their pokemon in both tiers to see if they belong in that tier and how large of a effect they have in their tiers they test counters that they have and who they counter and if they see that they aren't meta-game breakers they stay they aren't like Smogon where they just ban pokemon left and right just because people like to Bit*h that their teams cant fight 1 or 2 pokemon everyone has counters in their respective tiers and if they don't then they are moved into tiers that better suit them not just thrown in Ubers like its a place to hide pokemon that a few guys don't like fighting in standard play and if a pokemon is put down in UU it means nothing to OU play cause you can still use them and PO at least has a structure for their UU tiers unlike Smogon that just has 3 Major Tier labels for Pokemon Uber, OU, UU. PO just has a more thought out structured from of play its very obvious that they test their tiers more thoroughly than Smogon
    Man, you sound like a guy who was banned from Smogon or something. -.-. Please, this is an intelligent forum, with intelligent people and intelligent discussions, so be make more intelligent posts. So haven't heard the story? Lemme tell you something. Salamence was banned not because it was to hard to stop, but because it made the metagame somewhat unbalanced. Back to the day when Mence and Latias was around, the metagame was what they call the 3-dragon 3-steel metagame. It was boring when you just meet the same pokemon on every battle you have. So Smogon, with their best effort of trying to create a balanced competitive environment, banned Mence. And banning a pokemon from OU doesn't require you to playtest it in Uber. Uber is just a banlist, nobody cares how well that pokemon does in Uber.
    I'm tired of signatures...

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    272

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fox Reeveheart View Post
    I almost want to say tiers exist for a reason. I used to be kinda for, kinda against tiers. Now after playing so many random battles on the 5th gen random battle wi-fi I really see the need for tiers. Majority of fights all I see is a garchomp and other legendaries or psuedo-legendaries on EVERY SINGLE TEAM!

    It's really starting to tick me off. I don't think anyone battles to enjoy it on there and instead just "plays to win" and picks anything and everything with giant base stat totals.

    I hear PO tiers are based on usage percentages to a degree. Which would work "initially" but then people would just move onto the next best thing they can should what they used before be put out of the tier they had been using that particular pokemon in.
    When the US comes out with Ranked battles, the Free battles will be less clogged with such kinds of people.

    I've played a lot of random matches, but still see no reason for tiers. If the game didn't ban it, I don't see why we have to ban something. (As by the logic of Sirlin's Playing to win, banning should be kept to a very bare minimum)

    I've never really agreed with the Evasion Clause, and being able to use Double Team is a heavy relief and a wake-up call for people to use always-hit moves (I swear they're in the game for a reason!). Besides, DT on any pokemon takes up a bloody moveslot, can't be used with choice items, takes a turn to use (A turn isn't very long for some Pokemon), and doesn't always work!

    I Also never liked that some people are deciding to ban Drizzle + Swift Swim, but the Pokemon with Drizzle doesn't have double Speed, so can't you Change the weather then (On the switch out to swift swim or while the Pokemon with Drizzle is out)? It's like carrying a Rock-type that loves Sandstorm, you might consider Actually putting Sandstorm on that Pokemon, if you don't, sorry that new Weather came up and your Sp. Def is screwed.

    Now, I may be a bit uniformed &/or Biased. If there are major flaw's in my argument, Point them out nicely. (However, if you're argument is only about luck, I won't listen. Otherwise, I'll listen, I'm trying to argue like a human being!)
    Have you heard of a SNES game called "Tetris Attack"? It's possibly my favourite game of all time.

    Have you heard of a popular Series Called "Pokemon"? It's possibly my favourite Series of all time.

    Oh wait... That's most likely what you're here about.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •