Thread: Alex's Future White Version Team

Default Alex's Future White Version Team

Introduction

I am rather new to competative training and all (been just a casual trainer until a few months ago, and I've been playing since pokemon first came out when I was 10), but I have seen a few threads here and there, and have gotten some ideas. While I don't know how these pokemon will fare, these movesets/itemsets seemed like they could help me out greatly in casual competative battles and in-game. Anywho, enough babbling and onto my team. Bear in mind that I do not have White version yet, but have it reserved, and am doing this pre-emptive so I know what I am getting myself into.

Pokemon: Serperior
    Nature: Hasty
    Ability: Overgrow
    Item: Occa Berry
    Move 1: Leaf Blade
    Move 2: Wring Out
    Move 3: Toxic (TM)
    Move 4: Swords Dance (TM)
    Purpose: As my starter pokemon, I usually keep it on hand. I wanted to have Serperior be fast while dealing constant and plenty of damage. With Toxic, I will be dealing constant poison damage, and with Swords Dance and Leaf Blade, I can deal a hell of a lot of STAB damage. And I felt Wring Out would cap it off well.

Pokemon: Carracosta
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Solid Rock
    Item: Rindo berry
    Move 1: Rock Slide
    Move 2: Earthquake (TM)
    Move 3: Wide Guard
    Move 4: Aqua Tail
    Purpose: Mainly, I planned for Carracosta to be in Double and Triple battles to be a meat shield for the team. In round one, he would use Wide Guard to prevent widespread moves and allow my team to get out boosting/weather/status ailment moves. With Rock Slide, I can take out flyers, and with Aqua Tail, I get the STAB bonus. I have also considered replacing Aqua Tail with Waterfall or another moderate-strong powered/more accurate water-type move. Earthquake will be able to take out most other pokemon I face. In terms of EV training, I do intend to work on Speed with him so that he can get Wide Guard out sooner.

Pokemon: Machoke
    Nature: Adamant
    Ability: No Guard
    Item: Muscle Band
    Move 1: Dynamic Punch
    Move 2: Payback (TM)
    Move 3: Bullet Punch
    Move 4: Cross Chop
    Purpose: Machoke is my favorite, so don't tell me I should evolve him. Using a staple set of moves for the Mach family. Payback will help take out many pesky psychics that pop up. Dynamic Punch, of course, is the focus of this set.

Pokemon: Lapras
    Nature: Modest
    Ability: Water Absorb
    Item: Wise Glasses
    Move 1: Surf
    Move 2: Ice Beam
    Move 3: Thunderbolt (TM)
    Move 4: Sing
    Purpose: Partly serving as my surfer, partly working alongside Carracosta in double/triple battles. While Carracosta uses Wide Guard, Lapras uses Sing to at least take one of my foes out for a bit. With Surf and Ice Beam, I get the STABs, and can take down dragons (as there seem to be quite a few in this gen). Thunderbolt with a high SpA will be powerful, and with the help of the next pokemon can deal even more to my foes.

Pokemon: Zebstrika
    Nature: Rash
    Ability: Lightningrod
    Item: Leftovers
    Move 1: Thunder Wave
    Move 2: Wild Bolt
    Move 3: Thunder (TM)
    Move 4: Rain Dance (TM)
    Purpose: Along with Carracosta and Lapras, Zebstrika helps in my multi-battles. As Carracosta guards and Lapras sings, Zebstrika uses Rain Dance. The next turn around, Carracosta and Lapras attack with water-type moves (or thunderbolt from Lapras as well), while Zebstrika attacks with Thunder, which is also boosted from the rain. Lightningrod helps with the electrical attacks in those types of battles, and Leftovers helps cure the hurt from it. It also allows me to use Wild Bolt and recover soon after.

Pokemon: Sigilyph
    Ability: Magic Guard
    Move 1: Miracle Eye
    Move 2: Psychic
    Move 3: Tailwind
    Move 4: Shadow Ball (TM)
    Purpose: Another of my Special Attackers, and works well with Carracosta in double battles. As it has Magic Guard, it will be safe from all but direct attacks. Miracle Eye works as some insurance against dark-types. Psychic is staple for most Psychics I have seen. Tailwind helps my whole party, Carracosta included. And Shadow Ball can help with ghosts that can pop up.

Backup Pokemon

As I will be without Machoke and Lapras for the majority of the game, I felt I would need some placeholders. And since they are gonna be with me for a while, I may want to make them good. So here are my thoughts for backup pokemon. And yes, I know they are all bug-types. I don't need to be told how that will affect my team.

Pokemon: Galvantula
    Nature: Timid
    Ability: Compound Eyes
    Move 1: Electra Net
    Move 2: Electra Ball
    Move 3: Bug Buzz
    Move 4: Agility
    Purpose: With Compound Eyes, I will be able to hit better than usual. Electra Net has the benefit of both lowering my opponent's Speed and STAB. With Agility, my Speed goes up further. With Bug Buzz, I get STAB and I can lower my opponent's Special Defense. With the decrease of speed and SpD from my opponent and the speed bost on me, Electra Ball deals a lot more damage than it would initially.

Pokemon: Scolipede
    Nature: Lonely
    Ability: Poison Point
    Move 1: Megahorn
    Move 2: Toxic
    Move 3: Venom Shock
    Move 4: X-Scissor (TM)
    Purpose: I want this pokemon to poison and severely harm. Megahorn and X-Scissor severely harm. Toxic and Poison Point deal poison. And with the opponent poisoned, Venom Shock deals a LOT more damage.

Pokemon: Volcarona
    Ability: Flame Body
    Move 1: Bug Buzz
    Move 2: Butterfly Dance
    Move 3: Fire Dance
    Move 4: Gale
    Purpose: With a LOT of Special Attack from Modest nature, Wise Glasses, Butterfly Dance, and Fire Dance, and the lowering of the opponent's Special Defense from Bug Buzz, it will deal a massive ammount of damage with Gale, Fire Dance, and Bug Buzz.

Final Thoughts
    Like I said, I am not the best at these kind of things, but I think I chose some good moves and the like. But with some kind words and helpful advice from you fine trainers, I can make this team into a force to be reckoned with. Thank you all in advance

Click my Trainer Card to see my Shiny Pokémon List

My Personal Pokémon Website: Ace Trainer Alex Webpage
    Ace Trainers United Website: Ace Trainers United
    Ace Trainers United Facebook Group
    Pokémon X Version: Alex - 2535-4116-7272
    Friend Safari: Poison -

Serperior isn't the best choice for a sweeper, I'm afraid. I'd suggest one of the dragons, such as Haxurous (Dragon Dance) or Garchomp (Swords Dance), or maybe Hydreigon (Work Out). Your choice, though. Level Ground is likely a better choice for Carracosta, seeing you have no flyers besides Sigiliph (You just might be able to keep Earth Quake if you use Hydreigon, as he has levitate). For Machoke, use the evolution stone. It'll make him so much more durable than Machamp, show him up. Lapras looks fine, though remember Sing has shaky, shaky accuracy, so use at your own risk. Rain Dance is better with Lapras, and Lapras can learn Thunder anyway. I think Zebstrika should be replaced with Eelectross. Miracle Eye and Tailwind aren't very practical, and should be replaced with Roost and Ice Beam, in my opinion. Galvantula should use Thunder, to take advantage of Compound Eyes, and Energy Ball for Rock types. Volt Change is better than Agility, to get out of tight spots (Galvantula is fast enough). Earthquake is probably better than X-Scissor on Scollipede. Hidden Power (fighting) is better in place of Gale to take care of certain threats, and has better accuracy.

About your Pokemon's item's, I notice you use mainly Not-Super-Effective berries (which only get one use) and Wise Glasses. You should take Zebstrika's Leftovers and give them to Sigilyph. I'll leave the rest for future posters.

Hope this helps.

Serperior's movepool and base stats allows it to be a sweeper, though. It has the Speed, and it also has access to Swords Dance & Coil, and its Def & SDef means it will last longer than your average sweeper. It's Dream World ability also made to work for sweepers with moves that drops own stats, such as Leaf Storm, which Serperior can learn.

IMO, without its DW ability, make Serperior fully physical instead of Mixed.
    Your set is fine, just get the Adamant one, and replace Wring Out with Dragon Tail, and Swords Dance with Coil.
    You can also keep Swords Dance, but replace Wring Out with Aerial Ace instead (the whole reason why you use Coil is to boost Dragon Tail's power AND accuracy)

Or go all out attacking by replacing Swords Dance with Coil, Toxic with Dragon Tail, and Wring Out with Aerial Ace.

Scolipede has only 55 Base SAtk, though I'm not sure if a double-powered Venom Shock with such a low SAtk will deal more than Poison Jab, that make use of its 90 Base Attack.
    And yeah choose between Megahorn OR X-Scissor, and replace the one you didn't choose with Earthquake.

My shinies. Just click the links~

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

My shinies are not for trade or cloning.
    Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.
    Banner 1 made by Light Venusaur, thanks ^_^

Rock Slide benefits Scolipede more than Poison Jab since Toxic already poisons. Swords Dance is an option for a more offensive Scolipede.

Stone Edge also helps Machoke more than Cross Chop(which is essentially a low PP high crit Dynamic Punch that doesn't confuse.

Wide Guard gets priority and Doubles and Triples are rare ingame. Curse gives a more defensive side to him.

Denchura@Life Orb
    Modest, Timid/Compoundeyes
    -Thunder
    -Bug Buzz
    -Energy Ball
    -Volt Change

Denchura isn't nearly bulky enough to setup. Thunder gets an awesome accuracy boost, Energy Ball covers Rock and Ground. Volt Change gets you out of trouble while getting damage(and against certain pokes, avoiding Pursuit).

Sigilyph's Tailwind can only support a team member for one turn or itself for two. Even in the rare multi battle three of speed inrease may not help your team much. Ice Beam or Thunder Wave(which should be taken of Zebstrika) works better. Energy Ball or Air Slash will also help more than Miracle Eye. Of all the Dark types this gen, they are so frail that Air Slash would KO them, are part fighting(Air Slash) or part steel rendering your Psychic useless.

Two electric moves isn't helping Zebstrika at all.
    Zeburaika@
    Naughty/Motor Drive
    -Wild Bolt/Thunder
    -Overheat/Rain Dance
    -Nitro Charge
    -Return

Overheat allows you to hit high defence Steels like Steelix and Ground types that aren't paired with Rock/Water. Nitro Charge increases your speed. Return gets good neutral coverage. If you're adamant on keeping Thundance then they mmust replace Overheat and Wild Bolt. Overheat lowers you Spatk and sucks in the Rain, Nitro Charge stays since it heightens your speed. Thunder is the only Electric STAB you need.

Lastly, I'd like to add it is ridiculously hard to get a large amount of berries in BW, the only source being a Berry Gift and the Deam World.
    Last edited by Aurath8; 3rd February 2011 at 6:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Alright, I've been adding these suggestions to my spreadsheet I've been keeping my team's info on (put it just below my current setup above). Since Berries are more difficult to find (and I was really hoping to have Carracosta take only x1 from everything, but I suppose x2 from grass is still better than x4), what would be some suggestions for items to give to these pokemon? I knew from the get-go that items would be a difficult thing for me, especially since half of them have Wise Glasses.

Edit:
    Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    Wide Guard gets priority and Doubles and Triples are rare ingame. Curse gives a more defensive side to him.
    Like I said earlier, though, I do intend to do some battling over WiFi, and those are up there since they sound fun and interesting. While in-game it may not help me as much, in WiFi battles it will be more helpful for my team.
    Last edited by Ace Trainer Alex; 3rd February 2011 at 11:58 PM.

Then put your in game movesets, if you put a move exclusively for wi-fi, you have effectively wasted a move for in-game. In other words, put the move you will use offline.

I intend to use the same pokemon offline as online. I just will be using certain moves more often offline than online.

Regardless, can I get some suggestions for items for the above pokemon? Most of the strategies I will likely be going with have been posted by Aurawarrior and Shine.

However, some moves are very effective offline, and not so much online, and vice versa. I am just recommending that you don't waste an offline move just for online.

At the moment, I am not too concerned about that. usually offline tends to be easier than online anyways. but if needbe, I can breed these pokemon and have their children for online/offline play or use a set of switch-ins for offline play. While I hope to use these offline and online, I can always come up with a plan. The games aren't out in the US yet, so I have some time to do some planning.

Alright, so I have taken the movesets into consideration, and now I just have a couple more questions.
    1. What items should I give my pokemon?
    2. How many of what EVs should I give them?

Spoiler:- My New Pokemon Movesets:

Consider Evolution Stone on Machoke, simply for arsetons of bulk.

The future surrounds us.

Let us begin.

Again, how many times do I have to say this. If you are going to use these for online, go to CRMT. But since you posted it in IGRMT, put the offline moves. Do you want a set like this?

Swampert @ Leftovers
    252 Atk/252 HP/6 Spe
    Adamant/Torrent
    ~ Waterfall
    ~ Ice Punch
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Nothing

That is basically what you are doing. You are taking a moveslot and doing the equivalent of dumping in-game.

*Facepalm* Oh my god... and now I feel like a dumb***... I did not see the CRMT forum for 5th gen. I thought it was all in this forum. I am so sorry! If a moderator could move this to the appropriate forum, I'd appreciate it and feel less like an idiot.

Eh, with replies this many, I guess it's better if you just make a new thread there
    It's also easier to see, because all the replies would be from CRMT people, instead of mixed.

And while you're doing that, read the rules there, if I recall correctly there are some things different than the IGRMT rules.

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~

Shinies are not listed in order, for example the last shiny on the banner is not always the latest shiny I've obtained.

Machoke doesn't need Two fighting moves throw in a ice or fire punch ftw

cool. but serperior doesn't work as a sweeper

Quote Originally Posted by Shine View Post
    Eh, with replies this many, I guess it's better if you just make a new thread there
    It's also easier to see, because all the replies would be from CRMT people, instead of mixed.

And while you're doing that, read the rules there, if I recall correctly there are some things different than the IGRMT rules.
    Thanks, I'll go and do that in a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by NidokingJ View Post
    Machoke doesn't need Two fighting moves throw in a ice or fire punch ftw
    I was thinking about that. Both of those sound nice, but I think I'd go with Ice Punch, since freezing the foe so it can't do anything sounds more fun and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jangst View Post
    cool. but serperior doesn't work as a sweeper
    According to Shine, it can. It has the capability and the moves to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ace Trainer Alex View Post
    Thanks, I'll go and do that in a bit.
    And with that, this thread is no longer needed, so I'll close this one

For those of you who wonders why, read a couple post above, particularly #13 & #14.

~Shiny Banner 1~
    ~Shiny Banner 2~
    ~Shiny Banner 3~