Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #5

Default Community POTW #5

a 5th gen pokemon? that's gotta be wrong!

yeahno.

me and serebii agreed to push this ahead a few weeks, so have fun, whatever.

in my opinion, the most fun pokemon in the game. being zoroarked, zoroarking someone else, it's hilarious, I love it. not to mention its actually a great pokemon, not just a gimmick. yeah, go wild.

Two things.

One, take any discussion of our choices here; http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthr...9#post11911359

Two; Remember, when dealing with Illusion that it takes the appearance and name of the non-fainted Pokémon that's last in your team at the turn you switch. So if Zoroark is the one at the bottom of the team, there is no Illusion

also, something I'm really excited to write about is the partners section for zoroark. as much input on that would be awesome, as honestly... zoroark is the most fun pokemon in the game.

Chessmaster in Disguise

Nasty Plot
    Dark Pulse/Night Burst
    Extrasensory
    Focus Blast/Flamethrower
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb
    EVS: 4 HP/252 Sp.ATK/252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -ATK)/Modest Nature (+Sp.ATK, -ATK)

Zoroark's natural element of surprise allows you to get up a free Nasty Plot when they realize that the Infernape they just Psychic'd isn't an Infernape at all. From there, just use Night Burst or Dark Pulse to kick some serious butt. Dark Pulse has more accuracy and a flinch chance, but Night Burst has slightly more power and a surprisingly useful chance for an Accuracy drop. Extrasensory provides coverage against Fighting types that might come in on your STAB move. Focus Blast hist Steels and opposing Dark types and is powerful, but has infamously bad accuracy. Flamethrower decimates Steels with reliable accuracy and hits most Dark types neutrally, but sadly, it makes you a sitting duck against Tyranitar.
    What do you mean it's not awesome?!

Your Basic Zoroark
    Item: Choice Specs/Expert Belt
    Nature: Modest (+Sp.atk, -atk)
    EVs: 4 Hp, 252 Sp.atk, 252 Spd
    Night Burst
    Extrasensory
    Flamethrower
    Focus Blast
    A pretty simple set to use: smash something with Zoroark's amazingly high special attack. The Choice Specs add power, but the Expert Belt is almost as good, and it allows the usage of more than one move.

Partners: Pokemon such as Alakazam can handle some of Zoroark's weaknesses, but if you can bring a pokemon that resists some of Zoroark's weaknesses in the back of your team, such as Weezing, then you can fake out your opponents.

Zoroark@life orb
    modest
    substitute
    nasty plot
    focus blast
    night burst/dark pulse
    252sp atk 252spd
    basically, set up a sub on the fooled opponent, then proceed to nasty plot. Focus blast and dark pulse have pretty good coverage. Leftovers maybe better than life orb for this set because of the substitute.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/11b19wm.png[/IMG] oh yeah
    ALL THANKS TO EZZPEON

I CLAIM CASTFORM

Zoroark@Wise Glasses
    Timid nature
    252 Sp.Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Nasty Plot
    ~Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
    ~Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    ~HP Ground

Pair this thing with Weezing. More and more stuff is carrying Psychic because of Conkeldurr, so of course they'll use it on what appears to be Weezing. Predict this and NP up. Until then try to pass it off as an attacking Weezing. If it's a choiced Psychic, NP again on the switch and commence sweepage.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Prologue up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Child Molester

Zoroark @ Rare Candy
    Ability: Illusion
    Naughty nature
    EV's: 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 HP
    - Scary Face
    - Imprison
    - Torment
    - Foul Play

"Zoroark wants to get physical"
    Physical Zoroark
    Zoroark @Life Orb/ Focus Sash
    Adamant Nature (+Att. -Sp Att.)
    4 HP/ 252 Att./ 252 Speed
    - Hone Claws
    - Night Slash/ Pursiut
    - Sucker Punch
    - Aerial Ace/ U-Turn
    Sort of a novelty set, that might work well if used correctly. Doesn't have a great movepool, but good STAB moves to cover for that. Adamant nature, as you want the max attack possible on this set. Night Slash for your standard, main attacking STAB move. Pursuit to catch things maybe scared of Zoroark on the switch. Sucker Punch is helpful to hit things faster than zoroark, and makes a good revenge killing move. Aerial ace to hit fighting types that want to KO zoroark. U-Turn to get out of there, or to hit other dark types.
    Pairs: Zoroark would like a ghost type to cover for fighting weakness and bug, such as Burungeru or Desukan.
    [IMG]http://i43.*******.com/343jiwx.png[/IMG]
    Keeping the classics alive

idk about anything but moves and items but here i go
    zoroark@expert belt
    dark pulse
    nasty plot/calm mind
    focus blast
    shadow ball

i would pair this set with darkrai.
    have zoroark use nasty plot or calm mind behind darkrais dark void and when the enemy wakes up pound them with your other moves.

Reno, I wouldn't mind throwing in some ideal partners.

Smeargle can learn everything and can be tricky when coming. But, Sazandora can learn the exact set that Zoroark can.

I'll get some sets later, but for now, that's it.

Problem with Night Burst is that it immediately reveals that you are a Zoroark. Of course the Psychic immunity will help too. He gets great synergy with Roopushin since Roopushin hits the Steels Zoro has trouble with and Zoroark can take Psychics that Conlkedurr would hate. Conkles can tank amazingly too and OHKO prevo-stone Chansey for Zoro.

@Sweep Freak: Sazandora doesn't get Nasty Plot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

This is my first set, so tell me if something can be done better.

NastyArk

- Nasty Plot
    - Night Burst
    - Flamethrower
    - Extrasensory/Grass Knot/Focus Blast

@ Life Orb/ Leftovers
    Illusion
    Modest (+SAtk, -Atk)
    Ev's 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def

A set were Zoroark's good special attack gets even bigger. Nasty Plot is the way Zoroark is going to boost is special attack. Night Burst Is Zoroark's signature move, and its strongest special STAB. Flamthrower can handle Steel's, and is one of the best moves in Zoroarks shallow special movepool. The last option open for most of Zoroarks special moves. Extrasensory covers its remaining weakness, Fighting, but Grass Knot covers important typs like Water and Ground. Lastly there is Focus Blast If you want pure power, and some other coverage.

Illusion is utilised best by looking like a pokemon that can force out an opponent that won't survive a +2 STAB Night Burst.

Edit: I was too slow! My set was written in 3 ways in the time it took me to make it.
    Last edited by jespoke; 30th January 2011 at 4:48 PM.

"Zoroark wants to get physical"
    Physical Zoroark
    Zoroark @Life Orb/ Focus Sash
    Adamant Nature (+Att. -Sp Att.)
    4 HP/ 252 Att./ 252 Speed
    - Hone Claws
    - Night Slash/ Pursiut
    - Sucker Punch
    - Aerial Ace/ U-Turn
    Sort of a novelty set, that might work well if used correctly. Doesn't have a great movepool, but good STAB moves to cover for that. Adamant nature, as you want the max attack possible on this set. Night Slash for your standard, main attacking STAB move. Pursuit to catch things maybe scared of Zoroark on the switch. Sucker Punch is helpful to hit things faster than zoroark, and makes a good revenge killing move. Aerial ace to hit fighting types that want to KO zoroark. U-Turn to get out of there, or to hit other dark types.
    Pairs: Zoroark would like a ghost type to cover for fighting weakness and bug, such as Burungeru or Desukan.
    For this set, wouldn't you want Swords Dance over Hone Claws? There's no physical moves there that would require an accuracy boost and you'd get a better attack increase.

Default Yay 5th gen

Coolest ability ever.
    zoro@lifeorb
    illusion
    naive +spe -spdef
    56att/200spatt/252spe
    nasty plot/ focus blast
    flamethrower
    grass knot
    night slash/night burst
    Life orb is to kill pokemon who would normaly survive your attacks. Illusion, the coolest ability, and like anyone cares zorarks only ability. But the coolest, most fun ability. Nature makes zorark hit really really fast. The evs are pretty self explanitory. Nasty plot raises zorarks spattack, it doubles it. Focus blast is for type diversity though nasty plot is better. Flamethrower kills steel pokemon, such as skamory, grass knot is a death sentence to most bulky waters or ground, especialy swampert who has a quadruple grass weakness.
    night slash kills special walls and gets stab. Night burst is a special stab, but with it zorark can be walled fairly easily.
    A great partner would be gengar. It is weak to both phycic and ghost both of which zorark resists; furthermore, gengar is not affected by fighting moves and bug attacks suck against him so you would lose his weaknesses. Also because gengar is a special pokemon a phisical move zorark could murder swith ins like chancey. Other ghosts work ok but i think gengar rocks.
    Please Rate MY Team
    Never underestimate swampert.
    GEN. 3 is the best Ever!

Back from a long break from pokemon! Hello everyone!

Default Yay 5th gen

Coolest ability ever.
    zoro@lifeorb
    illusion
    naive +spe -spdef
    56att/200spatt/252spe
    nasty plot/ focus blast
    flamethrower
    grass knot
    night slash/night burst
    Life orb is to kill pokemon who would normaly survive your attacks. Illusion, the coolest ability, and like anyone cares zorarks only ability. But the coolest, most fun ability. Nature makes zorark hit really really fast. The evs are pretty self explanitory. Nasty plot raises zorarks spattack, it doubles it. Focus blast is for type diversity though nasty plot is better. Flamethrower kills steel pokemon, such as skamory, grass knot is a death sentence to most bulky waters or ground, especialy swampert who has a quadruple grass weakness.
    night slash kills special walls and gets stab. Night burst is a special stab, but with it zorark can be walled fairly easily.
    A great partner would be gengar. It is weak to both phycic and ghost both of which zorark resists; furthermore, gengar is not affected by fighting moves and bug attacks suck against him so you would lose his weaknesses. Also because gengar is a special pokemon a phisical move zorark could murder swith ins like chancey. Other ghosts work ok but i think gengar rocks.
    Please Rate MY Team
    Never underestimate swampert.
    GEN. 3 is the best Ever!

Back from a long break from pokemon! Hello everyone!

Just a thought from a complete newbie:

Wouldn't U-Turn be a good counter for Zoroark?

Zoro takes X2 damage from U-turn due to Bug weakness (It has a decent 70 BP, not to mention Zoro's weak (60) base defenses), which could break his Illusion, while also giving you a chance to switch. Just a theory from a complete newbie.

Quote Originally Posted by Monochromatic View Post
    Just a thought from a complete newbie:

Wouldn't U-Turn be a good counter for Zoroark?

Zoro takes X2 damage from U-turn due to Bug weakness (It has a decent 70 BP, not to mention Zoro's weak (60) base defenses), which could break his Illusion, while also giving you a chance to switch. Just a theory from a complete newbie.
    Yeah U-Turn absolutely murders Zoroark. It's just a question of if your attacking Zoroark unless you've already broke through its illusion.

Supportoark

-Protect
    -Sucker Punch
    -Toxic
    -U-Turn

Leafovers
    Illusion
    Adamant (+Atk,-SAtk)
    Max Speed, Attack. Leftover go into Defense.

The main key to this set is Toxic, then Protect to stall for damage, while Leftovers recovers what HP you do lose. Sucker Punch guarantee's that if they attack you, you'll hit them first, and U-Turn is for a quick escape from Bug or Fighting types that'll rip you to shreds.
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/ff46iv.png[/IMG]

Me and my Boyz!

Quote Originally Posted by salaswampert View Post
    Coolest ability ever.
    zoro@lifeorb
    illusion
    naive +spe -spdef
    56att/200spatt/252spe
    nasty plot/ focus blast
    flamethrower
    grass knot
    night slash/night burst
    Agreed, Gengar is probably Zoroark's best illusion. You think you're gonna KO a Gengar with Psychic then "It doesn't affect the foe's Gengar!" That rocks if you're the Zoroark while your foe is fuming claiming hax.

I like this pokemon very much. It gives the game an extra spin to it

Here is my set:

Zoroark @ choice scarf
    Ev's: 252 sp attack, 152 (52) attack, 106 (206) speed
    naughty/rash
    attacks:
    - U-turn
    - foul play/night burst
    - flametrower
    - focus blast/grass knot

Zoroak, the illusionist. His movesets are as important as the pokemon you choose that zoroark is going to look like. I prefer pokemon like espeon,skarmory,natorei,... . In general, defensive pokemon; because they force the oponent to switch into an offensive pokemon (or let a offensive pokemon attack). I like this because the mostly don't have much defences so you have more chance of sweeping.
    I like zoroark to be a little bit of a mixed sweeped since his physical attack isn't that bad and it gives him much more diversity to count pokemon. Also U-turn and choice skarf is a deadly combination. But his special attack stays it's strong point so I personly like to maximize the special attack stat.
    Grass knot mainly is for swamperts, wich are difficult to counter without grassknot, but to be honest I prefer focus blast since swampert aren't so many seen in 5th gen OU lately. You may find foul play a weard move to go for, but actually it can be really handy. I uses the opponents attacking stat so it is perfect to use when you are able to switch in into a dragon dancing gyarados or a sword dancing dragon-pokemon. But the move stays really tricky, because it also can happen that the opponent switches into a defending pokemon with barely any attack. If you prefer to choose night burst over foul play I suggest of putting more EV's on speed since you only have one physical move then.
    For the Ev's, I suggest of keeping the special attack at it's maximum because it stays the strongest point of zoroark. Also his speed is quit high so with the combination with choise skarf it doesn't need so much speed anyway.
    The last thing I want to say it that this moveset isn't a solid as other ones. You should really let the moveset depend on the pokemon that zoroark is projecting and think about what the opponent should do when he falls for it, and to what he would switch into or wich attack it is going to use

So that was it. Hope you like the moveset

Ps: wow fforgot to send the rest of the text

More to come
    Last edited by noobiess; 2nd February 2011 at 5:30 PM.

Zoroark works best when you don't give it away too early.

The fact Zoro gets base 105 speed is neat, as it lets him outrun those base 100ers easily, but sadly 105 is only good and not great. His physical movepool consists of STAB options Foul Play, Night Slash and Sucker Punch, Return, Ankle Sweep and U-Turn, and...that's it. Of those, Foul Play can be countered by the fact that it uses the foe's attack stat in damage calculations, meaning a special tank can happily come straight in and sponge off that attack, despite its meaty base 95 STAB strength. Sucker Punch only works if being attacked, and considering Zoroark's bulk is equal to Spinda, that won't save him. He does get Counter as well, but with weather and sand floating around this isn't a saving throw, though it could allow him to abuse Illusion to get a free kill by forcing a resisted physical move. However, Zoroark has much better things to do. Hone Claws is just a crap move full stop outclassed by Swords Dance, but he only has the bulk to use one and even then with a Life Orb he's packing a scary 700ish attack, but as stated before he only has the power to use STAB moves and U-Turn. In short, physical Zoroark sucks.

Specially, however, is a different story. Natural access to Nasty Plot combined with his impressive base 120 special attack means Zoroark runs a tasty 744 special attack after a plot boost, and if doing so on a switch means he has liberty of abusing his monstrous special movepool. Sadly, Dark Pulse is an egg move, and while Night Burst is stronger, it gives up the game that he's a Zoroark, and that 95 accuracy can bite you at the worst moment. Thankfully, Zoroark is in the Ground Egg group meaning he can get Dark Pulse from Smeargle, who can also give him Extrasensory, though Psychic is an awful attacking type. With Extrasensory, Dark Pulse, Flamethrower and Grass Knot as well as Hidden Power, and though you may argue that this leaves him with 2 moves considering Dark Pulse, you can see that fire/grass doesn't help him against Heatran, so Focus Blast may be worth consideration, despite that hopeless accuracy. Calm Mind is outclassed by NP, and Zoro as stated before is fragile.

I see some support sets here, and will touch on that. Base 105 speed is pretty fast, though outrun by still quite a few things, but it gives Zoro a decent ability in use as a utility mon. By using Illusion to give the idea of another pokemon, Zoro can then Taunt something, poison them with Toxic then come in later to aid a sweeper's rise by Mementoing something. However, Erufuun does the whole support thing much better with access to Mischievous Heart, and Zoroark should really just play his role as a special sweeper with the power to fool others into thinking he's something when he's not.

I reject your Nyancats and replace it with my own.
    FB

Zoroark the Illusionist!

-Nasty Plot
    -Grass Knot
    -Night Burst/Dark Pulse
    -Extrasensory

@Expert Belt/Leftovers
    Illusion
    Modest(+SAtt, -Att)
    Ev's 252 SAtt / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Nasty Plot needs no introduction.. and because of Zoroark's huge speed it can be used as a first attack, to give that nice boost. Grass Knot 1HKO rock type pkmn and hits hard on water's. Night Burst or Dark Pulse.. well they both have STAB, the first one has 85 power 95 acc (may lower the opp. acc), the other one has 80 power 100 acc (may flinch)... is up to you really! Extrasensory covers its main weakness: Fighting! And with the new "heavy weight champion" of the 5th Gen Roopushin, this may be your best choice!

The Illusion of the Illusionist!

- U-turn/Vengeance
    - Foul Play/Sucker Punch
    - Aerial Ace/Dig
    - Giga Impact

@Expert Belt/Choice Band
    Illusion
    Adamant (+ Att, - SAtt)
    Ev's 252 Att / 252 Spp / 252 HP

Lets get Physical! No really this moveset can be a real pain in the ***... If you put Zoroark as a Lead then you should go with U-turn, otherwise Vengeance for a Revenge kill! Foul Play is the best choice because of Zoroark's not-so-bright Attack stat.. Aerial Ace can deal with Bugs and Fighters, but Dig can handle all 5 types... and because your opponent knows nothing about you in the 1st round this can be a very cool move to have! Giga Impact covers pretty much what's left!

Partners:

I guess every thing that can trick the opp... such has ghosts/bugs/fighters.
    Another good option could be a Stockpile/Baton Pass user like Drifblim.. any pokemon that could raise Zoroark's Def/SDef.

I feel the need to mention that Focus Blast should not be slashed, ever on special sets as it is Zoroark's only decent option against Tyranitar on the specially based sets. Continuing, they all want max speed to as to outspeed base 100s, and it's worth mentioning that team preview can mess up Zoroark a ton.

Anyways, the NP set should look like this, not the ones posted earlier:

Zoroark@Life Orb
    Timid | Illusion
    252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 HP

- Nasty Plot
    - Dark Pulse / Night Burst
    - Focus Blast
    - Flamethrower / Grass Knot / Extrasensory

Nasty Plot is easy to set up provided you can come in disguised as something that will force the opponent out with relative ease, making Zoroark a perfect user of the move. Dark Pulse or Night Burst is up to the person using Zoroark, but it should be mentioned that Night Burst will immediately give away the fact that it is a Zoroark, whereas Dark Pulse will not. Focus Blast rounds off for excellent type coverage when paired with a Dark attack, and most importantly hits Tyranitar. The final slot is essentially just a filler, with Flamethrower hitting Nattorei and Breloom, Grass Knot damaging bulky waters other than Rotom-W pretty heavily, and Extrasensory hitting Roobushin switch ins.

Swords Dance set should look something like this:

Zoroark@Life Orb
    Naughty / Naive | Illusion
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

- Swords Dance
    - Sucker Punch / Night Slash
    - Flamethrower
    - Ankle Sweep / U-Turn / Night Slash

The SD set has a bit of surprise value, and can come in disguised as something like Kobalon or Landlos pretty easily, which is massively helpful in setting up. Sucker Punch versus Night Slash on the first attacking slot is basically personal choice, but Sucker Punch is often better, hitting Latias, Gengar, and Latios, all of whom outspeed you. Flamethrower is the single best option in the next slot, for hitting Nattorei and Breloom, who both sort of wall the set, and the final slot is essentially just a filler, with Ankle sweep hitting Nattorei and steels for a bit of damage, U-Turn being a solid scouting move for midgame, and Night Slash being a secondary option if not used in the primary attacking slot.

Partners

Decided to add this after I saw the post where someone listed Weezing as a partner. =/

Partners for Zoroark should never be stuff that take different amounts of hazard damage than he does. That means pairing him up with, say, Gengar to "lure Psychic moves" is rather stupid, as Zoroark cannot effectively disguise himself as Gengar due to them receiving different amounts of hazard damage (Zoroark is hit by Spikes). Something like Scizor though, for example, would be a solid partner, though it doesn't quite lure the perfect moves for Zoroark, it can let Zoroark beat a switch in come to take an +2 Bullet Punch and facing a +2 Sucker Punch or +2 Dark Pulse.
    Last edited by windsong; 30th January 2011 at 5:56 PM.

Default Revenging Zoroark

Revenging Zoroark

Zoroark @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Illusion
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252Atk / 252Spd / 4 HP
    - Sucker Punch
    - Counter
    - Aerial Ace
    - Night Slash

Firstly, it would be worth noting that with this set, you would have to breed a Raticate with Counter first to then breed with a Zoroark for the moves Sucker Punch and Counter. Night Slash is the primary move which allows you to basically land an attack. Focus Sash gives Zoroark the chance to use Counter despite its weak defences and hopefully knock out a pokemon and Sucker Punch is there to deal damage to any revenge-killer. Aerial Ace is mainly there to fill in the moveslot but it can also KO things like Heracross and slow Fighting types which pose a threat.

To counter a special-based Zoroak, I would recommend Special Walls such as Blissey, Snorlax or even Mantine. Lucario has almost nothing to fear as it can withstand Flying moves and easily OHKO with an Aura Sphere or Close Combat. Aianto should also receive a mention here as it outruns Zoroark and can deal a powerful blow from X-Sissor.
    Last edited by Aerodact; 30th January 2011 at 6:11 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast