Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #6

Hybrid View

Default Community POTW #6

yeah, it's that mother beast garchomp. banned from 4th gen pre-platinum, it hasn't had a good OU run in... ages!

one of the best pokemon in the game, unique speed tier, great... everything. go wild. garchomp is cool.

use garchomp@leftovers with:

sword dance
    dragon claw
    fire fang
    earthquake

to get good coverage
    nature to power up speed or attack
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

A good partner is Virizion.

Vzon and Chomp cover each other quite well, actually.
    Fighting moves kill Ices and Leaf Blade gets rid of grasses that learn Ice moves.
    Just watch out for Sap Sipper Azumarills.
    Waiting for Slaking here...

SD-Chomp

Garchomp@Life Orb?
    Adamant/Sand Veil

~Swords Dance
    ~Earthquake
    ~Dual Chop/Dragon Claw
    ~Stone Edge/Fire Fang

Boost with Swords Dance. EQ for STAB and good coverage. Dragon Claw/Dual chop are Dragon-Type STABs. The rest depend on what other types of coverage you need. Stone Edge for an EdgeQuake combo, Fire Fang for Ferrothorn and other steels.

Crunch or Brick Break can also be used.
    Last edited by Monochromatic; 6th February 2011 at 7:33 PM.

Garchomp@Yache Berry
    Jolly nature
    252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
    ~Hone Claws
    ~Stone Edge
    ~Earthquake
    ~Dragon Rush/Outrage/Dual Chop

Garchomp is among the many Pokemon to gain access to Hone Claws. It may seem like an inferior Swords Dance, but anyone who's had a Stone Edge miss at exactly the wrong moment would probably disagree with that. The Accuracy boost will do wonders for Stone Edge, not to mention the STAB Dragon Rush. Outrage is insane on Garchomp, true enough, but Dragon Rush doesn't lock you into the move, nor does it confuse you at the end. Dual Chop is optional if you live in fear of enemy Substitutes, but overall, Dragon Rush is the better option. The Yache Berry is to provide Garchomp with a better chance of surviving an oncoming Ice Beam or something, allowing it to set up.

Off topic, I'm kinda peeved that none of the previous POTWs so far have used any of my ideas. Especially the Work Up mixed sweeping Machamp, that was genius.

Anyway, as far as ability goes, I suppose it's your call. Rough Skin makes foes think twice about using physical contact moves (illegal with Outrage, however), while Sand Veil is as useful as ever on Sandstorm teams.

Unlike some of its fellow dragons, Garchomp lacks access to Dragon Dance. Of course, this could be a good thing, as that thing has high enough Attack and Speed as it is.

And please tell me the next one's not gonna be ANOTHER pseudo-legendary.

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 3 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

any pokemon that can start a sandstorm is a good partner if running sand stream
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Garchomp

My basic garchomp sweeper
    moves

OUTRAGE
    EARTHQUAKE
    CRUNCH
    IRON TAIL/BRICK BREAK/FIRE FANG/double team
    item: rowap berry, focus sash,
    nature: adamant/jolly
    max attack,speed,HP

good partners
    TYRANITAR (sand stream) + EXCADRILL

How to take down
    use timid starmie with ice beam!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rukarion View Post
    Garchomp

My basic garchomp sweeper
    moves

OUTRAGE
    EARTHQUAKE
    CRUNCH
    IRON TAIL/BRICK BREAK/FIRE FANG/double team
    item: rowap berry, focus sash,
    nature: adamant/jolly
    max attack,speed,HP

good partners
    TYRANITAR (sand stream) + EXCADRILL

How to take down
    use timid starmie with ice beam!!!
    Just saying...

Double Team is banned, isn't it?
    And there was no need for Caps >.<

Garchomp@Choice Scarf
    Nature: Jolly
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Att/252 Spe/ 6 HP
    Moves:
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Blast

His speed is bad this gen for sweeping so a Scarf set is his best option. Outrage to clean up late game and Dragon Claw early game so you aren't locked into Outrage and become set up bait, Fire Blast for Forrethorn and Skarmory and EQ for STAB and coverage against things like Heatran and Excadrill.

I don't see anything but Swords Dance- and Choice sets on Garchomp

Garchomp
    @Leftovers/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    Rough Skin/ Sand Veil
    Swords Dance/Stone Edge
    Earthquace
    Dragon Claw/Outrage
    Fire Fang
    Jolly/Admadant
    252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Hp

Short explanation:
    Only use Sand Veil in a sand team. Otherwise use Rough Skin
    Swords Dance in a swords set, or Stone Edge for covering.
    Earthquace is awesome an gets STAB
    Dragon STAB. Dragon Claw is reliable, but Outrage got more power.
    Fire Fang for Ferrothorn, Forretress and, in the swords set, Ice types.
    Last edited by jespoke; 6th February 2011 at 6:15 PM.
    Don't be misled by my low post count: I've been around for years.

Quote Originally Posted by assassinsceptile View Post
    Garchomp@Choice Scarf
    Ability: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Att/252 Spe/ 6 HP
    Moves:
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Dragon Claw
    - Fire Blast

His speed is bad this gen for sweeping so a Scarf set is his best option. Outrage to clean up late game and Dragon Claw early game so you aren't locked into Outrage and become set up bait, Fire Blast for Forrethorn and Skarmory and EQ for STAB and coverage against things like Heatran and Excadrill.
    If it is running a choice item doesn't that make Dragon claw useless as you will be locked anyway? I think you would be better off with something else maybe something like stone edge for neutral on ballooned Heatran?
    Also people Garchomp has FAR better options than Giga Impact...
    Last edited by Dragrath; 6th February 2011 at 7:52 PM.
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

Dragon Claw is nice if the opponent only has a little HP left and you don't want to be locked into Outrage. It's not that useful, but nothing in Chompy's 4th slot on a choice set is.

Bulky Chomp works pretty well- he's got a lotta resistances, and his defences are better than Swampert's. Chomp forces switches a lot- no-one wants to let him set up- and this makes it easy for him to lay Stealth Rock or rack up entry hazard damage with Dragon Tail. Sand Veil makes this extremely annoying. I run:

[img]http://oi52.*******.com/2ntxr42.jpg[/img]

Garchomp (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 24 SDef / 16 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Dragon Tail
    - Stealth Rock
    - Earthquake
    - Substitute/Protect/Dragon Claw

EVs: HP is maxed for overall bulk, though you may want to drop to 401 HP for max lefties recovery or 404 HP for 101 HP subs that can't be broken by Seismic Toss in one hit. 216 Def takes Chompy to his last 'jump point', 16 Spd is enough to outspeed max Speed Jolly Tyranitar, and the rest is bunged in SpDef.

One issue you'll have is when your Dragon Tail forces in a bulky water or dragon that outspeeds you and OHKOs- as such, you'll definitely want teammates who can switch in on dragons and bulky waters. Your main worry will be bringing in Hydreigon or Latios, since these Pokémon take minimal damage from hazards- Blissey/Chansey or bulky Steel types like specially defensive Jirachi, Empoleon, Heatran or Ferrothorn are excellent partners for soaking Draco Meteors. Salamence, Dragonite and Garchomp are more difficult to deal with; your entry hazards/sandstorm damage ought to allow you to scout out if they're running Leftovers or a choice item/resist berry/life orb, and you can react appropriately. Protect also allows you to scout for Salamence's set, since he's absurdly versatile, though try not to let him get a free Dragon Dance.

Bulky Chomp has no self recovery other than Leftovers, so Wish support is appreciated. Blissey, Chansey and Jirachi all work and allow you to kill two birds with one stone, while Vaporeon and Alomomola can also do quite well. Sandstorm support is obviously important, so Tyranitar or Hippowdon are important team-mates, and with bulky Chomp, the more entry hazards, the better. Spikes and Toxic Spikes are invaluable, even though Bulky Chomp can provide his own entry hazards; definitely consider bringing along Forretress, Skarmory, Ferrothorn, or Roserade to your team.
    Last edited by Ekul the Sarcastic; 8th February 2011 at 8:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by totaldude54
    Isn't Pokerus an STD?

I think Garchomp should be a power hitter

Garchomp-Adamant
    -Earthquake
    -Stone Edge/Rock Slide
    -Fire Fang
    -Dragon Claw
    team_magma93

Counter to Other Garchomps

I've always found this set very useful at countering other Garchomps and setting yourself up to sweep the rest of the team.

Garchomp @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Rough Skin / Sand Veil
    - Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Stone Edge
    - Swords Dance
    EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP

So, you're facing another Garchomp which has perhaps even used a Swords Dance and is wrecking your team to pieces? This is the perfect counter, my friend. The key is for it to be faster! When sent out, your higher speed will allow you to get in a Swords Dance before the foe will wipe you out... or bring you down to 1 HP thanks to Focus Sash. From there, you can get a OHKO with a reliable Dragon Claw and focus on the rest of the opposition's team with a very powerful dragon. One problem with this team is the fear of High-Speed Priority moves like Quick Attack, but if you're using him in the Battle Subway, where only 3 pokemon are allowed for entry, the foe team is likely to lack a very fast move. This set obviously works well at countering other sweepers who are having a similar effect on this pokemon's teammates. EVs are plain simple and boring but it is a necessity to get Garchomp's speed to the max possible!

As for counters... Cryogonal is faster and one Ice Beam will probably exterminate Garchomp. Weavile is the obvious Ice-type which can OHKO Garchomp with Ice Punch.

Partners... Hmm.. Machamp's No Guard could make your Garchomp deadly and if it's fast, it can protect Machamp with Crunch and Stone Edge as well as doing fierce damage with Dragon Rush whilst Machamp can use Dynamic Punch and Bullet Punch to fend off Ice Types which pose a threat to Garchomp. But I find Machamp goes well with everything... You basically need something which can avoid earthquake by sharing the type of flying or having levitate!

my garchomp now would have to have
    dragon tail
    crunch
    brick break
    iron head

nature and evs to speed

item:choice scarf

dragon tail to attack and phaze anything and everything. crunch and brick break cover every type for netral damage at least. and iron head takes out ice types if you get fast enough to hit before them.

Quote Originally Posted by smayer View Post
    my garchomp now would have to have
    dragon tail
    crunch
    brick break
    iron head

nature and evs to speed

item:choice scarf

dragon tail to attack and phaze anything and everything. crunch and brick break cover every type for netral damage at least. and iron head takes out ice types if you get fast enough to hit before them.
    Dragon Tail has negative priority which makes the Choice Scarf useless.

Off topic, I'm kinda peeved that none of the previous POTWs so far have used any of my ideas. Especially the Work Up mixed sweeping Machamp, that was genius.
    okay, I'll include every single set everyone posts.

yeahno.

I can't include every single set. sweeping machamp doesn't work, and mixed sweeping machamp? maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    okay, I'll include every single set everyone posts.

yeahno.

I can't include every single set. sweeping machamp doesn't work, and mixed sweeping machamp? maybe not.
    If you are quoting me, that were not my exact words! XP

The point is...well, a lot of Gen 4 Pokemon have lost their niches.

Oh well, um, Garchomp...eh?

Garchomp has received very little bonuses in Gen 5, aside from being promoted back to OU. It's still the same powerhouse as it always has been. It can utilize Aqua Tail and Fire attacks more efficiently yet mpre difficulty with the advent of Drizzle and Drought. All in all, its bonuses are Hone Claws and Rough Skin, and those are only very mild options. Dragon Tail is possible, but is better used by more defensively-oriented monsters.

Oh joy, the pokémon that killed Flygon, one of my faves. As much as I loathe this thing, it's a very useful tool.

I'll try to make sets that aren't just restatements of the 4th gen sets, as nearly everything I've seen so far is simply a 4th gen set.

Mence @ Life Orb
    Sand Veil
    Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
    4 HP/252 ATK/252 SPE
    ~Earthquake
    ~Outrage/Dual Chop/Dragon Tail
    ~Fire Fang/Brick Break
    ~Swords Dance

Pretty much a normal physical sweeper set with a few minor additions. Ground/Dragon STAB moves are unresisted outside of Skarm and Levitating Bronzong, but these can be taken down by Fire Fang. Outrage is more powerful than the other moves slashed in with it, but it locks you in for a few turns and then confuses you. Dual Chop breaks subs that Erufuun may try to set up using Mischievous Heart, but it is not all that powerful. Dragon Tail phazes and temporarily gets rid of things that you simply don't think you can take down, but the negative priority hurts. Balloon Heatran would cause Chomp some trouble, so you may opt to use Brick Break, though Skarm (and Bronzong to a degree) would be much more problematic. I guess everything depends on your team.

Other Options: Hone Claws, Stone Edge, Dragon Rush. Using either of the latter two moves without Hone Claws is strongly discouraged, they're rather inaccurate.

Team Options: Ttar and Hippo help for obvious reasons. Opponents will hate your Mence, and they'll hate it even more if they can't hit it on the rare occasion that they outspeed it. OU Steel-Types other than Ferrothorn, Excadrill, and Skarm resist all of this guy's weaknesses (Ice and Dragon), but Heatran is especially great as it resists Ice x0.25, which would hit Chomp for quadruple damage. Empoleon is rarely seen, but it can do the same thing.

Counters: As mentioned above, Skarmory walls him if he isn't carrying Fire Fang, BalloonTran if he doesn't know Brick Break. Not only is Heatran a good compliment to Chomp's weaknesses, he can also take down an enemy Chomp. Sharders, especially Mamoswine, help. Mamoswine can threaten to shard and then EQ the inevitable Heatran switch-in unless it has a Balloon.
    Last edited by ASB; 6th February 2011 at 6:41 PM.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

And so, we come to Garchomp. I wonder if my friend is going to make an apperance?

Anyhow,

Choice-Chomp+T-Tar Partner
    Sand Veil
    Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    -Dragon Rush/Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail
    -Fire Fang
    -Aerial Ace
    -Brick Break
    Adamant, Jolly
    252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp

This G-chomp works with T-Tar. There's a fighting type? Either Dragon Tail or Aerial Ace. Fire Fang is nice for Ferrothorn. And the dragon move is your choice. If you want power, but less reliability, go for D-rush. Reliability and switch outs is D-tail. And D-claw is for if you don't want either D-tail or D-rush (but I don't see any reason to use it other than that). And Brick Break covers any Blissey that come your way.

Partner this with: T-Tar, Swampert and other Water types, and Machamp.

Hone-Chomp
    Muscle Band
    -Hone Claws
    -Dragon Rush
    -Stone Edge/Earthquake
    -Fire Fang/Giga Impact
    Jolly/Adamant
    EVs: 252 Speed, 252 Attack, 4 Hp

Here, you use Hone Claws to make Dragon Rush really really scary! Bigger attack and accuracy boost makes it a killer. Then, you can choose Stone Edge for the scary thing or Earthquake for STAB. And for the last thing, I'd go with Fire Fang, but that Giga Impact would be very nice... and for the natures you can go for speed (this set has enough attack) or more attack.

Partners: Togekiss and the fliers, T-Tar (but only if no earthquake), and Blissey (again, NO EARTHQUAKE).

Counters: Blissey walls special sets, especially with that Ice Beam. Empoleon works well on the non-Earthquake or Brick Break sets. Manaphy just will wall any Garchomps who think they're so cool and are Ubers. And then there's Frosslass. Speedy things with Ice moves and the immunity to Brick Break AND Earthquake. And, of course, Flygon. Ice Punch or a Dragon Claw, Flygon is overlooked for Garchomp, but it can beat them.
    Last edited by Epicpip; 6th February 2011 at 6:58 PM.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

[QUOTE=Epicpip;11936718]And so, we come to Garchomp. I wonder if my friend is going to make an apperance?

Anyhow,

Sand Veil
    Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    -Fire Fang
    -Aerial Ace
    -Brick Break
    Adamant, Jolly

This G-chomp works with T-Tar. There's a fighting type? Either Dragon Tail or Aerial Ace. Fire Fang is nice for Ferrothorn. And the dragon move is your choice. If you want power, but less reliability, go for D-rush. Reliability and switch outs is D-tail. And D-claw is for if you don't want either D-tail or D-rush (but I don't see any reason to use it other than that). And Brick Break covers any Blissey that come your way.

Why Brick Break for blissey?
    With 10 Base defence you kill it with STAB EQ no?

Quote Originally Posted by MUSE+.+ View Post
    Anyhow,

Sand Veil
    Choice Band/Choice Scarf
    -Fire Fang
    -Aerial Ace
    -Brick Break
    Adamant, Jolly

Why Brick Break for blissey?
    With 10 Base defence you kill it with STAB EQ no?
    You're SERIOUSLY running a Garchomp set without Earthquake or Outrage? That's suicide. And you contradicted yourself in there too.

make latias pokemon of the week! its so cute but unbeliveably powerful at the same time!
    too good for words

I'm looking for any shinys

my egg count 497

my heart gold fc is:2880 8644 1191

my black fc is:3267 6588 5679

take the quizz

Garchomp@Brightpowder
    Jolly | Sand Veil
    252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP

- Swords Dance
    - Substitute
    - Dragon Claw (CHOMP MODE)
    - Earthquake

This Garchomp is capable of massively pissing people off as shown by eternal's use of it in the spl, where he single handedly haxed out panamaxis (iirc) with it. Continuing, it annoys the **** out of people and is best paired with SubTWave Jirachi for added fun.

Also, Togekiss makes a good partner, as does Wobbufett.

ALSO THE FACT THAT PEOPLE ARE ACTUALLY SUGGESTING GIGA IMPACT MAKES ME SAD... ;_;

edit: and sd sets don't need outrage, since you already KO most important stuff with +2 DClaw, and being locked into Outrage is just asking for a steel to come in and kill you

edit2: and you should still mostly run jolly because being outsped by gliscor, base 100s, and other garchomp sucks
    Last edited by windsong; 6th February 2011 at 7:19 PM.

And so why not Giga Impact? It's a suggestion. No one said you HAVE to use it. It's a powerful move, and some people like those moves.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast