I have two set ideas for Garchomp

Evasion:
    Sandstorm
    Double team
    Dig / Earthquake
    Dragon claw / Crunch

Nature-Jolly Item-Leftovers
    Ability-Sand Stream

Sandstorm and Double team for evasion, plus Sandstorm which is the main reason I put Dig in as an option instead of Earthquake, depends if you want damage from Sandstorm and waste an opponents PP (potential boost) or do more damage in ONE turn. Definently Dragon claw w/ dig and Crunch is optional w/ earthquake if your worried about ghosts or psychics.

Power Chomp

Earthquake
    Dragon claw
    Fire Fang
    Iron Head / Crunch

Nature-Adamant Item-Life orb/Choice band
    Ability-Sand Stream

Earthquake and Dragon claw are your stab moves. Fire Fang is for Steels that can take Earthquake and Ice types. Iron head takes out Aerodactyl and Crunch takes out Gengar.

Now time for Double and Triple battles!
    Double battle, Evasion set
    I would suggest Teaching Garchomp dig w/ a Pokemon that knows surf.

Double Battle, Power Chomp
    I would suggest a special hitter like Gengar or Togekiss.

Triple battle, Evasion set
    All the other pokemon w/ you Power Hitters that once again know surf

Triple Battle, Power Chomp
    Put Garchomp in the middle with pokemon immune to earthquake like Gengar and Skarmory.

and thats the end from me for Garchomp.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonite's View Post
    I have two set ideas for Garchomp

Evasion:
    Sandstorm
    Double team
    Dig / Earthquake
    Dragon claw / Crunch

Nature-Jolly Item-Leftovers
    Ability-Sand Stream

Sandstorm and Double team for evasion, plus Sandstorm which is the main reason I put Dig in as an option instead of Earthquake, depends if you want damage from Sandstorm and waste an opponents PP (potential boost) or do more damage in ONE turn. Definently Dragon claw w/ dig and Crunch is optional w/ earthquake if your worried about ghosts or psychics.
    First off, I think you mean Sand Veil, not Sand Stream. Next, Sandstorm is kind of a waste on Garchomp. You'd be better off using Tyranitar or Hippowdon for automatic Sandstorm. Also, Double Team is usualy banned in competitive play, unless you can convince your opponent to drop the Evasion Clause. Crunch isn't really covering anything of note that Garchomp's STABs don't hit harder. After all, Chomp's STABs alone hit everything in the game for strong damage except Skarmory and Bronzong. One more thing, never use Dig. As soon as someone sees you charging, they can just switch to a Flyer/Levitator to absorb it. And if they switch the turn you are charging anticipating an Earthquake, then you've given them a whole turn to do whatever the heck they want.

The other set's alright. You'll just need Jolly nature and some better moves than Iron Head and Crunch.

for counters, can shell break cloyster work? with its big defense it's probably going to take at least one hit, then +2 STAB ice move should OHKO.

double team won't really work if you use it.
    just make it a sweeper
    use
    iron head or iron tail or fire fang
    another partner may be bronzong. make garchomp hold iron ball and make bronzong use trick room. oh, and give garchomp fling if trick room wares out

Cloyster cannot take two Outrages to set up the Shell Break.

use timid starmie with ice beam to 1 hit ko garchomp
    (as i hate these in wifi battle tower, lucky i use a focus sash =] )

garchomp is made for physical, physical, physical and yet more physical.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by rukarion View Post
    use timid starmie with ice beam to 1 hit ko garchomp
    (as i hate these in wifi battle tower, lucky i use a focus sash =] )
    Starmie is OHKO'd by anything Garchomp has except for Fire Blast, so it can't switch in.

I really think we need a thread to define counter so people don't just think it's anything that can OHKO a certain poke.

Quote Originally Posted by assassinsceptile View Post
    I really think we need a thread to define counter so people don't just think it's anything that can OHKO a certain poke.
    Good point. Fried Rhys mentioned this in an old guide of his:

So many noobs use this for their reasoning that Salamence shouldn't be uber. Well noobs, Weavile is not a counter. A counter is a Pokémon that can SWITCH IN to another Pokémon with little to no risk to its own well-being, and also immediately threaten the opponent. Weavile cannot take anything from Salamence. Not all Salamence are Dragon Dancers. 50% are mixed. So when you bring in your Weavile, don't ***** you lost your "counter" when it is KOd by Draco Meteor. So, Weavile is not a Salamence counter, it is merely a "check".
    Pretty much, a "counter" is something that can safely switch in to an opponent and threaten it, while a "check" can merely threaten an opponent although it might be threatened as well.

going on that a bulky steel (bronzong,skarmory) would be a REAL counter
    Last edited by garchompkid; 7th February 2011 at 7:51 PM.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Just saying: These things are NOT viable:

- Mixed Chomp - Too low Sp Atk. If you really want the surprise element, use a special set.

- Giga Impact - Totally overpowered by STAB moves who don't give a free turn away: Earthquace (150 base) or Outrage (180 base)

- Dropping Fire Fang (Or Flamethrower/Fire Blast) for a non STAB move - The coverage for Ferrothorn, Forretress, Skarmory... (Long list) is too important to drop it for other coverage

- Dragon Tail in a Scarf set - Never use negative priority in a speed set

- Dig - Never give away free turns for setup or countering

- No STAB moves - Never go without Garchomps monsterous STAB moves. Their power and usefulness isn't matched by any other options Garchomp has.
    Last edited by jespoke; 7th February 2011 at 9:05 PM.
    Don't be misled by my low post count: I've been around for years.

So, my friend did say something. Except, he doesn't have an account. So, I'll post his best set (his others were a mix-chomp and as we all know that doesn't work):

A different approach...
    Item: Toxic Orb
    -Fling
    -Facade
    -Fire Fang
    -Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail/Dragon Rush/Outrage
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly

I guess this set is made like one of those item tossing sets except more suicidal or something. Yea, you apply the Toxic Orb, hope it poisons, yea... it's okay, but with the poison you can Facade like CRAZY and do okay with nothing bad except the poisoning. You run Outrage is you're trying to get rid of something before you die from poisoning, like Garchomp's Last Stand or something. It's okay, the mixture or fling and facade is pretty good.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Outrage and Earthquake out damage Facade even when boosted by a status condition.

Moves:
    -Hone Claws
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Rush/Dragon Claw
    -Stone Edge
    Ability: Sand Veil/Rough Skin
    Item: Life orb
    EVs and Nature:
    Evs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
    Adamant/Jolly Nature

After 1 Hone Claws, say hello to perfect accuracy and a threatening attack! Earthquake is powerful for steels and rock types and gets STAB. After the accuracy boost, Dragon Rush is now it’s main threat while Dragon Tail can knock of your opponent’s stat boosts, in exchange for –40 power and a low speed priority. Stone Edge is here for dealing with those nasty ice types and comes with a handy high critical-hit rate.

Partners: If your using Sand Veil, Tyranitar or Hippowdon are the obvious choices. If your using Rough Skin, anything with a ice resistance should be here.

Countering it:
    Strong ice types obviously. A scarfed Beartic can OHKO it with icicle drop. Specs Froslass can out speed it and get it with an ice beam, just look out for a boosted stone edge. Dragon types such as Haxorus and Bandgon can take it out easily when at max speed (if it's not a jolly chomp). Skarmory can take all of these moves with ease, and then get it with a powerful Brave bird. Cofagrigus can take it's moves decently with it's huge based defense and shut it down with Will-o-wisp. After a swords dance, Escavalier can KO Garchomp pretty quickly and take a few hits.
    Last edited by Porgon-XYZ; 8th February 2011 at 2:07 AM.

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

Quote Originally Posted by Porgon-XYZ View Post
    Moves:
    -Hone Claws
    -Earthquake
    -Dragon Rush/Dragon Claw
    -Stone Edge
    Ability: Sand Veil/Rough Skin
    Item: Life orb
    EVs and Nature:
    Evs: 252 Atk/252 Speed/4 HP
    Adamant/Jolly Nature

After 1 Hone Claws, say hello to perfect accuracy and a threatening attack! Earthquake is powerful for steels and rock types and gets STAB. After the accuracy boost, Dragon Rush is now it’s main threat while Dragon Tail can knock of your opponent’s stat boosts, in exchange for –40 power and a low speed priority. Stone Edge is here for dealing with those nasty ice types and comes with a handy high critical-hit rate.

Partners: If your using Sand Veil, Tyranitar or Hippowdon are the obvious choices. If your using Rough Skin, anything with a ice resistance should be here.

Countering it:
    Strong ice types obviously. Beartic can OHKO it with icicle drop. Specs Froslass can out speed it and get it with an ice beam, just look out for a boosted stone edge. Dragon types such as Haxorus and Bandgon can take it out easily. Skarmory can take all of these moves with ease, and then get it with a powerful Brave bird.
    The only counter you listed was Skarmory, none of the other pokemon can switch in, plus, Flygon, Beartic, and Haxorus are all outsped.

It was my friend's idea. I guess he was looking for the poison bonus.

For countering, Kyogre (if this is Uber Garchomp) works well. The whale could do in a Garchomp with one ice beam! And Groudon with one Dragon Tail or Dragon Pulse might do the same thing!
    Last edited by Epicpip; 8th February 2011 at 1:01 AM.

Sorry, I changed it.o3o

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

Quote Originally Posted by Epicpip View Post
    It was my friend's idea. I guess he was looking for the poison bonus.

For countering, Kyogre (if this is Uber Garchomp) works well. The whale could do in a Garchomp with one ice beam! And Groudon with one Dragon Tail or Dragon Pulse might do the same thing!
    Lolwut?

Garchomp should not be sacrificed just to poison an opponent with fling. It also shouldn't be poisoning itself, as facade is outdamaged by earthquake, so if you are that desperate, toxic is better. Finally, if it wants to stay in against kyogre or groudon, it should be outraging, to at least take a chunk out of them.

Chomp is really somewhat outclassed by Landorus/Landlos (whatever the Eng. name is) since Chomp is only 2 points faster and Landorus has access to Rock polish AND Swords Dance. On top of it all, the land Genie has better special attack, stronger Earthquakes and Stone Edges (thanks to Sand Force), a resistance to Conkeldurr's Mach Punches, and a natural immunity to Earthquake.
    What're you lookin' at soldier? DROP AND GIVE ME 645!!!

DO THEM RIGHT OR FACE THE WRATH OF MA' SAND FORCE!!!

--Landorus Boot Camp Motto

nobody EVAR uses the special sets on garchomp. theres no way that garchomp's special attack can outclass its physical power.
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Garchomp
    Sand Viel
    Choice Specs
    Timid/252 SP.att/252 Speed
    -Earth Power
    -Dragon pulse
    -Flamethrower/Fire Blast
    -Draco Meteor

What do you think? The first three moves are for coverage, the first two for stab, and draco meteor to finish off the battle. It's all about the element of suprise.
    nobody EVAR uses the special sets on garchomp. theres no way that garchomp's special attack can outclass its physical power.
    Just to make it more surprising.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 6 Battles
    Goldeen keeps stealing the Magical Karp's splashing glory in Smash.

Quote Originally Posted by GarSlizer View Post
    Chomp is really somewhat outclassed by Landorus/Landlos (whatever the Eng. name is) since Chomp is only 2 points faster...
    Stop right there. That's kinda the general idea of why Chomp is used so much. That extra 2 speed is HUGE. There's that, plus Sand Veil, Chomp's good bulk, his powerful Dragon STAB, a secondary STAB that almost perfectly compliments that Dragon STAB, and a resistance to Stealth Rock just to boot. Garchomp's anything but outclassed by Landlos.

just sayn that that special sets are always going to be underrated compared to physical sets. j ust like you wont see very many physical sets on zoroark
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Quote Originally Posted by jesusfreak94 View Post
    Stop right there. That's kinda the general idea of why Chomp is used so much. That extra 2 speed is HUGE. There's that, plus Sand Veil, Chomp's good bulk, his powerful Dragon STAB, a secondary STAB that almost perfectly compliments that Dragon STAB, and a resistance to Stealth Rock just to boot. Garchomp's anything but outclassed by Landlos.
    Yeah, but when the speed is not important Landorus wins. In addition, Chomp needs a Scarf to go any faster, but the Genie does not since he has Rock Polish. What that means is that the genie can go faster than any Ice Beam-abusing special attacker that tries to check him (like Starmie) and destroy them with EQ, Chomp really cannot do so without a Scarf, and even then ScarfChomp is fairly easy to turn into setup fodder if you predict correctly (such as sending a Steel type into an Outrage or Stone Edge, a flying type--incl. the genie, lol--into EQ, or a Flash Fire poke like Chandelure or Heatran into a Fire move)
    What're you lookin' at soldier? DROP AND GIVE ME 645!!!

DO THEM RIGHT OR FACE THE WRATH OF MA' SAND FORCE!!!

--Landorus Boot Camp Motto

yes but garchomp is natrually faster and that gives it an extra turn to attack while landorus uses rock polish. also i think that landorus can learn outrage though. its also has alot of speed disadvantages when it comes to things that have acsess to agility or rock polish. also the choice scarf sticks it to one move and thats bad when a steel type comes in when youre stuck to a dragon move,or a flying type with earthquake. the set i came up with gets stuck with ghost types after it it kills an ice type.

credits go to here.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast