Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #6

Quote Originally Posted by assassinsceptile View Post
    Starmie is OHKO'd by anything Garchomp has except for Fire Blast, so it can't switch in.

I really think we need a thread to define counter so people don't just think it's anything that can OHKO a certain poke.
    I guess Starmie could revenge kill but...

also what's with some of these sets? why run special attack on Gar? (The world would laugh at you if you try and run that...

I still think burn is a lethal counter...
    Dragons are my friend, Ice is my foe...
    (Kyurem is an exception) dragonics rule

-Let us hope for gen 6 to turn out well!

Quote Originally Posted by GarSlizer View Post
    Yeah, but when the speed is not important Landorus wins. In addition, Chomp needs a Scarf to go any faster, but the Genie does not since he has Rock Polish. What that means is that the genie can go faster than any Ice Beam-abusing special attacker that tries to check him (like Starmie) and destroy them with EQ, Chomp really cannot do so without a Scarf, and even then ScarfChomp is fairly easy to turn into setup fodder if you predict correctly (such as sending a Steel type into an Outrage or Stone Edge, a flying type--incl. the genie, lol--into EQ, or a Flash Fire poke like Chandelure or Heatran into a Fire move)
    Speed is always important. And the prediction argument can be applied to literally anything. Landorus could use EQ and the opponent switches into Bronzong and KO's with HP Ice. Or it could use Rock Polish, come up against something with Ice Beam that it can't KO and die. That's not a valid argument.

Point being Garchomp and Landorus are completely different Pokemon. Garchomp is bulkier and can phaze, has higher attack and the best STAB (Dragon) in the game, which is made even better by one of the best coverage types with Dragon. Landorus meanwhile, can't go defensive, but can go mixed and has a Ground immunity. The only thing they really have in common is that they are Ground type.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

Here's an interesting Garchomp. Please give feedback or stuff!
    Dragon Tail @Power Band/Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly/Impish/Careful
    Effect: Rough Skin
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance/Hone Claws
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake/Fire Fang/Stone Edge
    I though of this set from out of nowhere and I though it can be effective. Substitute to pull off some Swords Dances or Hone Claws and serves as a protection when using Dragon Tail since you always go last. If your not in a Substitute, Rough Skin can take care of some damage to the foe if touched. Dragon Tail hurts Dragons and may KO them with the help of Swords Dance, or switch them out. That's when Earthquake, Fire Fang or Stone Edge come in. They all provide coverage with Earthquake being a powerful STAB and taking care of Steels, Fire Fang for Ice coverage, Burn, or flinch, and Stone Edge for powerful coverage.
    Last edited by SazandoraMASTER; 8th February 2011 at 12:10 PM.

I have two ideas for Garchomp movesets:

Classic Chomp
    Dargon Claw/Outrage
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Swords Dance

EVs: 4 HP, 252 speed, 252 attack/
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    Item: Leftovers/ Life Orb
    Ability: Sand Stream

This is a classic Garchomp set. Swords Dance gives it the attack power it needs to become a HUGE threat.

DONT RUSH ME I NEED TO HONE MY CLAWS
    Hone Claws
    Dragon Rush
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

EVs: 252 HP, 252 speed, 4 attack
    Nature: Jolly
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Rough Skin

This is a more different Garchomp then what you would normally see. With Hone Claws raising its attack as well as accuracy, you dont really need 252 attack EVs.
    Last edited by MyuX3; 8th February 2011 at 5:19 PM.
    My HeartGold Ubers team:

My HeartGold OU team:

My Youtube Channel:
    http://www.youtube.com/Brightpath937

I'm currently not accepting any battle requests. SORRY! ):

Quote Originally Posted by MyuX3 View Post

Classic Chomp
    Dargon Claw/Outrage
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Dragon Dance/Swords Dance

EVs: 252 HP, 128 speed, 128 attack/ 252 HP, 252 speed, 4 attack

This is a classic Garchomp set. Dragon Dance instead of Swords Dance gives it speed, and power instead of just power. Or if you just want to foucs on POWER, Swords Dance gives it lots of POWER.

Hone Claws
    Dragon Rush
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

This is a more different Garchomp then what you would normally see. With Hone Claws raising its attack as well as accuracy, you dont really need 252 attack EVs.
    Garchomp doesn't learn Dragon Dance...

Quote Originally Posted by assassinsceptile View Post
    Garchomp doesn't learn Dragon Dance...
    OOPS!! I did not know that.
    My HeartGold Ubers team:

My HeartGold OU team:

My Youtube Channel:

Quote Originally Posted by MyuX3 View Post

Classic Chomp
    Dargon Claw/Outrage
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge
    Swords Dance

EVs: 4 HP, 252 speed, 252 attack/

This is a classic Garchomp set. Swords Dance gives it the attack power it needs to become a HUGE threat.

Hone Claws
    Dragon Rush
    Earthquake
    Stone Edge

why would you use swords dance
    you would get OHKOed by a starmie if you wasted a turn using swords dance

Quote Originally Posted by rukarion View Post
    why would you use swords dance
    you would get OHKOed by a starmie if you wasted a turn using swords dance
    Swords Dance is definity not a waste of time, and there is no guarantee your opponent will have a Starmie... Swords Dance sets Garchomp up for a sweep, without it Garchomp would not be as useful.
    Also remember what assassinsceptile said.

Starmie is OHKO'd by anything Garchomp has except for Fire Blast, so it can't switch in.

I really think we need a thread to define counter so people don't just think it's anything that can OHKO a certain poke.
    Last edited by MyuX3; 8th February 2011 at 5:55 PM.
    My HeartGold Ubers team:

My HeartGold OU team:

My Youtube Channel:

what about swampert(mine even knows outrage).
    starmies are common and nice and simple to get.
    weavile has ice punch
    even a scizor can OHKO it =[ (if it has choice band, technichen(is this how its spelt?)and bullet punch. nasty)
    if you use swords dance, use it once and give it a focus sash, and make it fast

what about swampert(mine even knows outrage).
    starmies are common and nice and simple to get.
    weavile has ice punch
    even a scizor can OHKO it =[ (if it has choice band, technichen(is this how its spelt?)and bullet punch. nasty)
    if you use swords dance, use it once and give it a focus sash, and make it fast
    Ice Beam is better on Swampert because Outrage is garbage without STAB and Ice Beam hits Chomp and Mence harder. Chomp even OHKO's Swampert at +2 with Outrage 101.2% - 119.4%. Starmie isn't very common in 5th gen, which is what this POTW is for, as Chomp is banned from 4th gen standard. Neither Starmie nor Weavile can switch in, making them checks not counters. Scizor is OHKO'd by Fire Blast on the switch, though it can come in on an Outrage or for the revenge kill, making it a check. Focus Sash is useless on a nonlead pokemon as entry hazards will negate your Focus Sash completely.

The best counters in 5th gen for Chomp are still Skarm and Bronzong, although it is revenge killed by a lot more now.

Have to agree, bronzong is a good counter. if it is very slow, use trick room totake chomp out.
    weavile may not be able to switch in, yet, it can be a revenge killer, also starmie. mine can ko my garchomp(plus my starmie is shiney with good moves and nature. got on GTS for tyrouge any =])

Have to agree, bronzong is a good counter. if it is very slow, use trick room totake chomp out.
    weavile may not be able to switch in, yet, it can be a revenge killer, also starmie. mine can ko my garchomp(plus my starmie is shiney with good moves and nature. got on GTS for tyrouge any =])
    If Garchomp is holding a Yache Berry Starmie and Weavile are OHKO'd and can't do the same, as Garchomp is as bulky as a Swampert. Plus, where you got your Starmie from and the fact that it's shiny is irrelevant.

If only it did, it could be better...
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

yea i knew it. landorus learns outrage at lv 85. also there are about 50 OU pokemon that can learn ice beam
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Double/Triple Battle: How about Charizard, Moltres, or Ho-oh as a partner for Garchomp. They don't get hurt by his earthquake and get super effective STAB on ice types that may attempt to get an ice attack in, or just to get rid of Ferrothorn, Skarmory, or Bronzong so that Garchomp can have an extra attack slot where you would normally have Fire Fang.
    Or maybe you could use Thunderus, Emolga, or Fan Rotom for the waters that try to get an Ice Beam in.

that is a good idea, especially with charizard as it is faster than the others and will scare ice types away as most of them are slower than average pokemon. i dont really know what's wrong with my pictures of serperior,hydreigon, and excadrill.
    Last edited by pikamanepicfail45; 9th February 2011 at 4:04 AM.
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Quote Originally Posted by SazandoraMASTER View Post
    Here's an interesting Garchomp. Please give feedback or stuff!
    Dragon Tail @Power Band/Leftovers
    Nature: Adamant/Jolly/Impish/Careful
    Effect: Rough Skin
    -Substitute
    -Swords Dance/Hone Claws
    -Dragon Tail
    -Earthquake/Fire Fang/Stone Edge
    I though of this set from out of nowhere and I though it can be effective. Substitute to pull off some Swords Dances or Hone Claws and serves as a protection when using Dragon Tail since you always go last. If your not in a Substitute, Rough Skin can take care of some damage to the foe if touched. Dragon Tail hurts Dragons and may KO them with the help of Swords Dance, or switch them out. That's when Earthquake, Fire Fang or Stone Edge come in. They all provide coverage with Earthquake being a powerful STAB and taking care of Steels, Fire Fang for Ice coverage, Burn, or flinch, and Stone Edge for powerful coverage.
    This set is pretty good, actually. Garchomp doesn't normally need subsitute, but you'd need to run leftovers or you're ice bait. Otherwise, nice idea! Dragon Tail takes care of whoever you aren't good against... so... yeah...
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

Finally some feedback haha I've had to post that twice lol but thanks

Well, here goes. Sorry if any has posted this set already, I just saw the Garchomp and went straight to reply.

Boost-a-Chomp
    Garchomp @ Focus Sash
    Adamant / Sand Veil
    252 Att - 252 Spd - 4 HP

Hone Claws
    Dragon Rush
    Earthquake
    Brick Break / Stone Edge

Hone Claws begins by not only boosting the Attack stat, but also the accuracy which is great for STAB Dragon Rush, and also Stone Edge if your running it.
    Earthquake has awesome coverage.
    The choice between Brick Break and Stone Edge is where I get torn. Stone Edge works kinda ace with Earthquake, but Brick Break works fantastic against Tyranitar and covers its x4 Ice Type Weakness. Lately, it's rare I find a team that doesn't have a dark type in it (*cough* Zoroark *cough*) so I would personally prefer Brick Break.

Garchomp can take a big blow while setting up, and if its a good Ice type attack, Focus Sash gives you the reasurance that your going to be able to use that attack and accuracy boost to deal a nice chunk of damage back. Leftovers is OK for some recovery, but it may not help you if you take an Ice Beam first hit. Life Orb is cool, but you risk the loss of HP each time you attack. Choice anything is going to lock you into 1 move, and thats not a good thing for Garchomp.

In Double and Triple Battles, Sand Veil usually kicks in due to the heavily Popular Tyranitar, and thus gaining an evasion boost. Tyranitar Can usually take on what Garchomp cannot so works nicely with Garchomp, just remember that your Tyranitar is not going to be too happy about an Earthquake.

Countering Garchomp is simple enough. Bulky Waters seem your easiest way as Garchomp can't learn anything that will score a super effective hit on one. Water Types can usually carry a good Ice move and will cause Garchomp some pain, especially if you target its slightly lower Sp. Def (Hello reliable Ice Beam).

Love's The Pyro Poke's

Quote Originally Posted by random13 View Post
    Double/Triple Battle: How about Charizard, Moltres, or Ho-oh as a partner for Garchomp. They don't get hurt by his earthquake and get super effective STAB on ice types that may attempt to get an ice attack in, or just to get rid of Ferrothorn, Skarmory, or Bronzong so that Garchomp can have an extra attack slot where you would normally have Fire Fang.
    Or maybe you could use Thunderus, Emolga, or Fan Rotom for the waters that try to get an Ice Beam in.
    very good idea. fire types take out weavile. but also lawnmower rotom would be better as it has levitate and STAB thunderbolt and leaf storm

good item for garchomp is a rowap berry. it hits back when your hit by ice beam. how about attack forme deoxys with ice punch and phsyco boost. that could wreack a garchomp? (only if garchomp hasn't got crunch)

I also forgot. milotic is good for a counter (on 4th gen, palmer's caused so much trouble to my garchomp)
    Last edited by Ragnarok; 9th February 2011 at 8:11 PM.

counters-Glaceon it has a reasonable defences and can hit hard with ice beam
    -Mamoswine has defence and ice shard
    -Skarmory deals with most things garchomp can through at it exept fire fang but should be able to take it
    -bronzong almost like skarmory
    -Ferrothorn- provides good defence but typing suffers from fire fang

The hone claws set is a nice addition along with dragon tail defensive sets which open up more options for chomp
    although the 4th gen sets are still very effective

Update:some counters can probably be dispatched easily so it's bad on my part (first post)
    Last edited by The Joker.; 9th February 2011 at 7:27 PM.
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Superior Snivy View Post
    counters-Glaceon it has a reasonable defences and can hit hard with ice beam
    -Mamoswine has defence and ice shard
    -Skarmory deals with most things garchomp can through at it exept fire fang but should be able to take it
    -bronzong almost like skarmory
    -Ferrothorn- provides good defence but typing suffers from fire fang

The hone claws set is a nice addition along with dragon tail defensive sets which open up more options for chomp
    although the 4th gen sets are still very effective

Update:some counters can probably be dispatched easily so it's bad on my part (first post)
    Again, the only two you listed that are counters are Skarmory and Bronzong, the rest cannot switch in.

Actually Scarf Glaceon can survive Garchomp's hits and OHKO with Ice Beam even through Yache Berry. Too bad its complete garbage otherwise.

I see what I did by listing some Pokemon who can just OHKO garchomp.
    But Ferrothorn is still viable if you partner it with kingdra (ou) or palkia (uber) so it can safely switch in.
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    Actually Scarf Glaceon can survive Garchomp's hits and OHKO with Ice Beam even through Yache Berry. Too bad its complete garbage otherwise.
    Jolly LO Outrage vs ScarfGlaceon = 86.4% - 101.8% OHKO with no SD and with rocks up 100% of the time. It can take an EQ though a bit of the time 71.7% - 84.9%. The only move Glaceon can come on safely is Fire Blast.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast