Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #7

Default Community POTW #7

basically... number #7 is shell break.

cloyster was awesome in 3rd gen, one of my favourite pokemon in general. stealth rock ruined it and left it dead in the water throughout 4th gen. however, 5th gen gave it shell break, one of the best boosting moves ever.

i dont know much about cloyster but ferrothorn would be a counter
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

Well I would recommend the Ability skill link for such attacks as Spike Cannon and Icicle spear. Icicle Drop is also a good option even though it is not a multi-hit move. Dive is probably the best physical attack if you choose to make it Adamant

more like shell blade.

shell break/shell blade/icicle spear/rock blast

is all good.

although, hydro pump is great and I'm pretty sure can OHKO skarmory after shell break.

Shell break
    252atk/252spe
    Skill link
    Shell break
    Icicle spear
    Rock blast
    Razor shell

Shell break raises attack and speed skill link makes rock blast and icicle spear always hit 5times and aqua jet for stab and priority

Edit forgot about razor shell that's an option too
    It doesn't get aqua jet thought it did oh well...(facepalm)
    Last edited by The Joker.; 13th February 2011 at 6:27 PM. Reason: Razor shell
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Shell Breaking Oyster:

Moveset:
    -Shell Break
    -Icicle Spear
    -Explosion
    -Razor Shell
    Item: Life Orb
    Trait: Skill Link
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252Spe/252Atk

After Shell Break, Cloyster hits fast and hard! Thanks to Skill Link, Icicle Spear hit's 5 times, breaking substitutes and having a base 25 power to a base 125 power, not to mention STAB. Razor Shell is another STAB that can lower defense at the cost of 5 accuracy. Explosion is the most powerful move in the game and is perfect for revenge kill and when your low on health.

Credit to FrostStorm for the banner; YOU ARE MAJESTIC FROSTSTORM

3DS FC: 4940 6396 1803

"Because I am the man... who made a typo in his own name while registering..."

it doesn't get aqua jet, but aqua jet would be pointless regardless as you are raising speed with shell break.

boom is more or less useless now.

Empoleon as an able counter could be worth mentioning. It resists everything Cloyster commonly carries, along with a 4x resistance to Icicle Spear and can OHKO it back with Grass Knot, although it needs defensive investment and is 2HKO'd by Rock Blast after Stealth Rock.

empoleon is 2hkoed by rock blast? really?

Cloyster
    Imprish (+ Def/ - Sp.Atk) Adament (+ ATk/ - Sp.ATK)
    Muscle Band/Life Orb/ Expert Belt/White Herb Skill Link
    216 Atk/164 Def/128 Spd

Shell Break
    Shell Blade/Explosion
    Rock Blast
    Icicle Spear

Okay if you give Imprish nature use White Herb to keep up your defenses (Phisyacal Wall Cloyster)

Icicle Spear and Rock Blast are obvious moves it Great with the Shell Break Set
    Shell Blade is STAB witha chance to lower Def (Waterfall would be great but it cant learn that)
    Explsion helps to take out anypokemon in your way is any other move dosent hit

I hope this helps

I chase the dream, not the competition.

Though i have never played a competetive game, but here is my attempt at what its move-set could be like,

Cloyster

"Breaking its Own Shell"
    Nature - Adamant/Jolly
    Ability - Skill Link

- Shell Break
    - Icicle Spear
    - Spike Cannon/Twin Needle
    - Rock Blast/Razor Shell

"Poisonous Shell"
    Nature - Jolly
    Ability - Skill Link/Shell Armor

- Toxic
    - Icicle Spear
    - Razor Shell
    - Substitute/Protect

Edit: Well by the time i finished writing this, many people have already posted this type of set.
    Last edited by Lucario At Service; 13th February 2011 at 6:33 PM.

Adamant / Jolly Nature
    317 Attack / 262 Speed
    Skill Link

-Shell Break
    -Razor Shell / Dive
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast / Payback / Explosion

If your running max attack, you may want to consider Payback or Icicle Drop, and if your running speed, Explosion is always a good option. And using Dive instead of Razor Shell gives you a bit of extra power and accuracy, but no secondary effects and it takes two turns to use.

Edit: Oops forgot some other things. Good Items would be a white herb to keep your defence up after Shell Break, Focus Sash for when they think they've got you, and since I don't have Black or White yet, maybe a Rechargeable Battery if you can manage to survive Electric attacks.
    Last edited by BattleFrontierChampion; 13th February 2011 at 6:41 PM.
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries (also known as ubers) in their teams. If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste this into your signature! (Started by SapphireL)

~BATTLEFRONTIERCHAMPION~

Homeless Clam
    Cloyster @ Focus Sash
    Ability: Skill Link
    Nature: Adamant / Jolly
    - Shell Break
    - Razor Shell
    - Icicle Spear
    - Rock Blast
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

Icicle Spear has a base power of 187 as well which will take care of any dragon. Razor Shell stops it becoming Steel-type bait and is a nice stab in general. Of course, on top of this your Cloyster is going to double its speed and attack with Shell Break making it a ferocious sweeper! Rock Blast is just there for type coverage and abuses Cloyster's ability which is all fun and EVs shouldn't need explaining... Focus Sash allows it to get in at least one shell break but probably two!

Back to Basics Cloyster!
    Cloyster @ Leftovers / Focus Sash
    Ability: Shell Armour / Overcoat
    Nature: Impish
    - Spikes
    - Toxic Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Explosion
    EVs: 252 Def / 252 Atk / 4 HP

Get rid of Stealth Rock placed on your team and/or set up your own entry hazards before going out with a bang. Simple. EVs are max in defence as you'll want to shift this in in front of a physical-based foe whilst the rest in attack for an explosion if need be and few in HP to stop stealth rock ruining you. Focus Sash is great as long as Stealth Rock isn't set up as you can use Explosion to take out an enemy sweeper whilst Leftovers helps Cloyster be bulkier.

Abusing Shelly thing / Anti-Sandstorm Team
    Cloyster @ Leftovers
    Ability: Overcoat
    Nature: Bold
    - Toxic / Toxic Spikes
    - Spikes
    - Protect
    - Surf
    EVs: 252 Def / 128 HP / 128 SAtk

So your opponent is expecting the usual set up of a shell-breaking Cloyster which almost all Cloysters will be. However... Whilst they feel they're free to attack and deal damage, you'll be blocking it with your high defence whilst laying down Toxic, Spikes or Toxic Spikes. The choice between toxic or toxic spikes is basically whether or not your team has a pokemon which can abuse entry hazards. Protect gives that poison another go at depicting your opponent's health and ups your own with an extra Leftovers whilst Surf prevents steel pokemon (who are just as likely to be on a sandstorm team) from abusing your abuser EVs focus on defence as almost all pokemon in a sandstorm team are physical attackers and its Overcoat ability stops Leftovers being cancelled out.

Shell Breaking Special Sweeper
    Cloyster @ Life Orb
    Ability: Overcoat / Shell Armour
    Nature: Timid or Modest / Rash or Naive
    - Shell Break
    - Surf
    - Ice Beam
    - Hidden Power (Electric) / Explosion
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 HP

It's a waste of a better attack stat as well as the nice ability Skill Link but it does at least surprise your opponent by obliterating physical walls which may be put in Cloyster's way. Hidden Power gets a super effective hit on Skarmory as well as walling water types but Explosion makes it pose a different sort of threat by ruining any Special Walls placed in its way when the opponent has realised your Cloyster is Special-based. EVs are plain and boring.
    Last edited by Aerodact; 13th February 2011 at 7:16 PM.

i never put much thought into this idea, but, skill link, king's rock and icicle spear/rock blast could potentially be very annoying after a shell break. That giving it the speed to flinch the opponent and the guaranteed 5 hits multiplying the effectiveness of the king's rock, not to mention the attack boost. i just remember being torn to shreds by a sneasel in XD using a similar strategy but it didn't have the consistency to last long because it relied purely on how often it would actually hit.

Quote Originally Posted by BattleFrontierChampion View Post
    Adamant / Jolly Nature
    317 Attack / 262 Speed
    Skill Link
    There's a maximum of 255 evs in each stat you know.
    The most Superior Snivy. Left, good time here though. I loved this place.

Countering Cloyster:
    Any neutral or super effective special move can hurt it, especially if done after Shell Smash but before the next move (By beeing slower than before Shell Smash Cloyster(base -70) or faster than after Shell Smash Cloyster(base +140))

For the speed base -70, you shouldn't use a pokemon with weakness to Water, ice or rock, as your opponent may think he can beat you without a Shell Smash. It's just in case you have one out when Cloyster commes in, as its too late if you have to swich in first.
    For the speed base +140, you've got Accelgor, Deoxys and speed nature Electrode. Ninjasks Sp Atk is too bad, and no other have the needed speed.

Edit: Ignore the slower part, it isn't a counter, it just shows why you shouldn't switch your cloyster in to any slow special pokemon.
    Last edited by jespoke; 13th February 2011 at 7:50 PM.
    Don't be misled by my low post count: I've been around for years.

Shell Break

Cloyster @ Life Orb
    Adamant (+Atk, -SpA) [Jolly, perhaps?]
    Skill Link
    4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Icicle Spear
    Rock Blast
    Razor Shell
    Shell Break

Shell Break renders a Jolly nature rather unneccesary, so Adamant seems like a more practical option. Icicle Spear has 150 base power when combined with Skill Link and STAB, and it can hit through subs. Rock Blast gets up to 125 power, making it more powerful and more accurate than a Stone Edge (also, it can break through subs like other multi-hit-moves). Razor Shell is Cloyster's best Physical Water STAB. Some may want to run Spike Cannon here, but Razor Shell's power is higher due to STAB than even a Skill Link Spike Cannon. Shell Break is the crux of this set, doubling all offensive stats while halving defensive ones. It works well on Cloyster, as his Defense is already insanely high and his Special Defense is near-abysmal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On a side note, would I be asking too much if I asked for a direct link to the pokédex page in the first post and perhaps in the POtW feature? Nobody wants to go all the way to the main site, go to the pokedex, and try to find the pokemon without even knowing its dex number.

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Even though Cloyster has a beast of a defense stat, the fact that it is an Ice-type is defensively problematic. Pulling off Shell Break requires some good prediction and timing.

Of course the results will obviously be spectacular if you do pull off Shell Break.

Broken Armor Cloyster
    @Life Orb/Muscle Band

-Shell Break
    -Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Razor Shell/Explosion

Nature: Adamant/Jolly
    EVs: 252 attack and speed, 4 HP
    ---------------------------------------
    "Back in my day, I preferred support!"
    @Leftovers

-Spikes/Toxic Spikes
    -Rapid Spin
    -Aqua Ring
    -Icicle Spear/Spikes/Explosion/Dive

Ability: Skill Link (if you are using Icicle Spear)/Shell Armor
    Nature: Impish/Careful
    EVs: 252 HP, 126 Defense and sp defense, 4 attack
    Last edited by Meowmeow; 13th February 2011 at 8:38 PM.

Default Cloyster Sets and Counters

Skill Link Set
    Nature and EVs: Adamant: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
    Item: Life Orb / Focus Sash

-Icicle Spear
    -Rock Blast
    -Razor Shell
    -Shell Break

Shell Break will be one of Cloyster's main assets in the 5th generation competitive scene, halving its Defense and Sp. Defense in exchange for double Attack, Sp.Attack and Speed. Cloyster already can't take special attacks well though, so a good deal of prediction is necessary with this set. With or without the boost, the moveset is pretty straightforward. Icicle Spear hits five times thanks to Skill Link and picks up a STAB boost, smashing through most enemies and ravaging substitute/subseeders like Serperior. Rock Blast doesn't pack STAB, but it gives Cloyster nice coverage and an option to use against other Water types. Razor Shell is Cloyster's other STAB attack. Life Orb sends Cloyster's power through the roof, whilst Focus Sash gives it leeway to set up Shell Break if your prediction isn't that good.

Rapid Spin Support
    Nature and EVs: Adamant: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Item: Focus Sash
    Ability: Shell Armor / Overcoat

-Ice Shard
    -Rapid Spin
    -Razor Shell
    -Spikes / Toxic Spikes

Cloyster can make a very viable Rapid Spin user, if your team needs the support. With that obvious slot taken care of, Razor Shell stays in as your standard STAB attack. With Focus Sash at your side, you can go for a last second Ice Shard at death's door, or just use it to take out anything weak to Ice with that nice priority effect. Leftovers is just too risky on Cloyster, due to it's depressingly low HP and SpDef. Spikes and Toxic Spikes take the last slot, since this set is based on support. Shell Armor protects you from unlucky criticals, while Overcoat protects you from being killed by a Sandstorm after Focus Sash saves you.

Counters

Lucario and Toxicroak can take out Cloyster with their STAB Vacuum Wave, scoring x2 damage and hitting Cloyster's pathetic SpDef with the priority benefit. There's lots of easy ways to take out Cloyster, but this one pretty much assures success. Anything that is faster than Cloyster with Focus Blast and Aura Sphere also stands a nice chance against it. After using Shell Break, Mach Punch is a pretty safe bet to downing Cloyster. Breloom safely switches into Rock Blast and Razor Shell (Well, as close as you can get to safe), and takes it out with Mach Punch. Yanmega can use Speed Boost and Protect/Hypnosis to gain a speed advantage, then take it out with anything (It doesn't really need a type matchup, it's crazy strong and Cloyster's SpDef is usually under 100 after Shell Break).

The main thing to target is that abysmal 45 Base Sp.Def. Cloyster cannot take Sp.Attacks well, especially when it's from Grass/Electric types. Lanturn makes a nice counter in this department, since it takes everything Cloyster has except Rock Blast. Rotom W and M work well also, but W is a better option, since M is weak to Icicle Spear.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

my cloyster-
    adamant nature
    252 atk/252 spd/4 def
    don't know ivs, but has hp ground
    skill link
    focus sash
    moves-
    ~shell smash
    ~icicle spear
    ~rapid spin
    ~razor shell

icicle spear is for skill link and STAB, a really good combo. razor shell is better than dive because you can use it twice in the time you use dive once. rapid spin is for my team, as a lot of them are weak to SR. with shell smash, he can live with the focus sash and kill spin blockers.

should be potw
    Last edited by pikamanepicfail45; 15th February 2011 at 12:59 AM.
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Shell Shocked

Nature
    Adament/Jolly

Ability
    Skill Link

Moveset
    Shell Break
    Clamp/Razor Shell
    Rock Blast
    Icicle Spear/Explosion

Clamp gives you more power with skill link 175 POW to be exact, however, Razor Shell can lower defense and it's slightly more accurate, but I'd go with Clamp. Rock Blast gives you plenty of neutral coverage with the water attack. However, there are still dual types who can block this combination such as Water/Fighting, Water/Steel, Grass/Fighting, and Grass/Steel. And to make things worst each of those dual types is going to have at least 1 strong candidate for the OU tier (Keldeo, Empoleon, Breloom, Virizion, and Ferrothorn). The final 2 moves are both there for getting rid of threats Icicle Spear gets rid of the Grass/Fighting type and handles known threats like Garchomp, while Explosion gets rid of both Grass/Fighting and Water/Fighting as well as another other non ghost or steel.

Countering
    Steel types give Cloyster so much trouble, notably Empoleon and Ferrothorn. Cloyster also has low HP and SD, and after a Shell Break it's DEF becomes more manageable, while it's bad SD becomes even worse, so Lucario and Toxicroak can easily revenge kill it with Vacuum Wave.

yea but if your opponent has keldeo, then they were using hacks because you cant get it through events.
    Last edited by pikamanepicfail45; 13th February 2011 at 8:55 PM.
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Your Basic Cloyster
    Jolly/Adamant Nature with Skill Link
    252 EV's in Attack and Speed
    4 EV's in HP
    Item: Focus Sash

Moves:
    Razor Shell
    Icicle Spear
    Rock Blast
    Shell Break

Shell Break lowers your defenses by 2 levels, which leaves you very frail . Equip your Cloyster with a Focus Sash if you don't want to lose it early. With Skill Link, Icicle Spear and Rock Blast will hit all 5 times and breaks subs most of the time unless they resist both moves. Razor Blade is your main STAB move, but you can use Dive as well, unless you hate waiting for a turn. Use Adamant for power or Jolly to outrun some pokemon.

3DS FC: 0001-3758-4431
    *Credit goes to Garnet Til Alexandros XVII for the Userbar*

yea but if your opponent has keldeo, then they were using hacks because you cant get it through events.
    or you are battling on a pokemon simulator, like most competitive players.

Support/Spiker
    EVs:252 HP 252 defense
    Impish nature
    leftovers

Moves:
    Toxic/Protect/Rock Blast
    Icicle Spear
    Toxic Spikes/Spikes
    Rapid Spin

Somewhat self-explanatory set. Toxic to support and wear down tougher pokemon but dont bother if you already have toxic spikes, Protect if you want to wear down a poisoned pokemon, and rock blast if you would rather have an attacking move and kept icicle spear. Icicle spear for its best STAB and guaranteed 5 hits, you can also switch this for the for the toxic spikes/spikes. Toxic Spikes or spikes depending if you want direct or indirect damage, and rapid spin for getting rid of any entry hazards your opponent may have set up. Max HP and Defense EVs so you can survive a few attacks and set up.
    Last edited by ultimatedarkrai; 13th February 2011 at 9:43 PM.
    in the making...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast