Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #7

Quote Originally Posted by rukarion View Post
    why do you use shell smash. defence is what cloyster is all about.
    good counters are pokemon with special electric moves, eg magnezone.

__________________________________________________ ______

if you belive that garchomp is too good for the Uber tier then copy and paste this in your sig. (started by garchompkid)
    Because shell smash gives it +2 att, sp att, and speed. Add that together with Skill Linked Icicle Spear and that can OHKO even Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

Quote Originally Posted by TimmahX View Post
    It doesn't have a 50% chance of flinch. Each hit has a 11.7% chance of flinching. Those chances aren't added together. That would be like saying if using a move that has a 50% flinch rate was used twice, it would flinch guaranteed. That would really have a 25% chance of each result, Flinch/No, No/No, Flinch/Flinch, No/Flinch. Each hit has a 11.7% chance on it's own of triggering, which isn't a lot. It's good, but not THAT good. It's not usually worth giving up LO or with Rapid Spin support, Focus Sash.

Its a 47% chance of flinch.

Quote Originally Posted by rukarion View Post
    why do you use shell smash. defence is what cloyster is all about.
    good counters are pokemon with special electric moves, eg magnezone.

__________________________________________________ ______

if you belive that garchomp is too good for the Uber tier then copy and paste this in your sig. (started by garchompkid)
    Cloysters base stats and movepool (rapid spin, spikes, etc) make it seem good as defensive pokémon, but in reality, it isn't. It has a massive 180 base defence, but it's special defence and hitpoints are both at a pathetic base 50, meaning that neutrally hitting special attacks still cause it a lot of pain if it gets surprised if a foe has a special move (like Fire Blast on some physical sweepers to deal with Skarmory, Bronzong, and Ferrothorn). Combine that with the fact that Cloyster is an ice type, meaning it takes super effective damage from both rock moves and fighting moves, something severely hampering physical walling since a lot of physical sweepers use one of those two types of moves. Add to that a lack of a recovery move (apart from rest) and a stealth rock weakness hampering it as a spinner and Cloyster suddenly isn't that strong defensively anymore compared to the likes of Forretress, Slowbro, or Skarmory, or as useful as a spinner as Forretress, Donphan, or Starmie.

It simply isn't good for supporting, spinning, or defending. Before Shell Break it wasn't really good for anything so it was in UU, nowadays Shell Break sweeping gives it something that it isn't completely outclassed in by others.
    Last edited by Sceptile Leaf Blade; 15th February 2011 at 8:55 PM.
    Master balls are the cheapest thing ever invented. It's more fun catching everything with balls that can fail. 'caught Latios in the wild without master ball ftw'

Vacuum wave is definitely Cloyster's worst fear. NP Infernape is the way to be prepared.

3DS: 5413 1009 1553

according to its weaknesses, this it the best partner for it-

flamethrower
    hp ground
    energy ball
    shadow ball

aw....... i have to make a new account on smogon because my old one got banned for trollin.
    very fun 5 day run.
    Last edited by pikamanepicfail45; 15th February 2011 at 10:38 PM.
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

That would give you two Stealth Rock weak Pokemon. Shandera doesn't even kill bulky waters that get in Cloyster's way although he does get rid of the bulky steels.

AWSOME!! its great to have a 5th gen potw that didn't get a meintion in 4th gen.
    not a big fan of cloyster, bur heres what I got.

Moves:
    surf
    aqua ring
    ice beam
    ????

never really used it much, but it was a sp attack.
    3DS FC: 4081-5902-7378 Add Me!
        Spoiler:- My Champion Teams:

Credit to Forever and Again art shop

Credit to VampirateMace for the Banner

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    That would give you two Stealth Rock weak Pokemon. Shandera doesn't even kill bulky waters that get in Cloyster's way although he does get rid of the bulky steels.
    yeah, but if they have stealth rock they're usually phyically weak (like Blissey)
    or specially weak (like Gigalith).

Gigalith has sturdy, though. all of them ( i just checked) have one good defense stat and one below average. with the exception of ferrothorn, but it dies from one fire attack.
    wait Probopass has 2 good defense stats, however it would die from a hp ground.
    if you use them as a lead, then they don't get hurt from SR in the first place
    Last edited by pikamanepicfail45; 15th February 2011 at 11:24 PM.
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

That doesn't make sense, virtually all teams have Stealth Rock. Having a Blissey doesn't make you physically weak because you have 5 other Pokemon to make up for it.

Max speed beats out Gyarados, Dragonite, and Blaziken before a Shell Break (and +2 Blaziken after).
    But don't you want to use Shell Break AFTER your opponent attacks on the first turn so they don't do as much damage (unless you're using a White Herb)?

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Gyarados is the only one I'd want to take a hit from and its Stone Edge OHKOs after Stealth Rocks anyway. The other two decimate Cloyster in one shot (Blaziken does 108% minimum with NO item and Dragonite does 86.3% - 102.1% with 0 SA LO Fire Blast). Theres also Breloom to deal with and in a pinch outrunning it may win a game for you (you easily live through a Mach Punch at +0, but not always Bullet Seed)

All I think this really needs is a Defensive spiker set, a Shell Break set and maybe a LO Spiker set.
    ~signature~

Here I am with another double/triple tip.

For triples, you can partner up with a Blastoise and an Infernape/Typhlosion and have them use their oath moves. While the rainbow is being set up, have Cloyster shell break. Cloyster should have a Jolly nature and be raised with max speed and attack so the speed boost will be more effective. Here are some moves and such that the Cloyster should have:

Item: King's Rock
    Ability: Shell Armor
    Moves:
    Icicle Drop
    Ice shard
    Secret Power (for possible Parahax)
    Shell break

Or if you are willing to raise a Hasty Nature Cloyster for a mixed sweeper, here are some good moves:

Item: King's Rock
    Ability: Shell Armor
    Moves:
    Icicle Spear
    Water Pulse
    Ice Breath/Icy Wind
    Shell Break

I hope I did a good job. I forgot that Cloyster can't learn Waterfall. ._.

My favorites happen to be mid-evolved poison types.

Why would you use Hammer Arm and Superpower on the same set?

Also because Cloyster has such low HP and such high Defense if you are to ever invest in Cloysters defenses it means you ALWAYS MAX HP first. Maxing HP gives you about 25% more durability, maxing defense improves it by only about 16% (and doesn't do anything to help your special defense).
    I would think 252 Def would at least be more physically defensive than 252 HP?

Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophicalPsychologica View Post
    With pokemon that have a defensive stat that is much higher than their HP, it is best to maximize HP instead of the defensive stat to maximize it's ability to take hits, like Shuckle. Pokemon with a high HP stat but lower defenses normally maximize defenses before HP, like Hariyama.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilosophicalPsychologica View Post
    Nope. It might seem that way but on probably 99% of Pokemon putting EVs into HP helps more than defense.

I don't know. Hydro Pump one shots physical Skarmory and Icicle Spear OHKOs Special defensive Skarmory. Hydro Pump does more damage to stuff overall though but Shell Blade is more reliable.
    Special defensive skarmory may be OHKOed, but how many skarmorys are special defense?
    in the making...

Quote Originally Posted by ultimatedarkrai View Post
    Special defensive skarmory may be OHKOed, but how many skarmorys are special defense?
    It's the second most used Skarmory set.

-Cloyster-

Special Shell

Nature:

Quiet

Ability:

Shell Armour

Moves:

Shell Break
    Brine
    Ice Beam
    Explosion/Toxic Spikes/Hail

Using:

Brine is a super move when used to the best of its ability, that being when the opponent’s HP is less than half full. Other than that then it is rather useless, luckily Ice beam is used to get rid of the bulky grass/ground types and also takes care of some flying types, and when powered up with shell break, ice beam can also be used as a good weapon against Dragons.

The final slot is a very tricky space to fill. Hail chips at your opponents HP, while setting up Toxic Spikes would be a good idea if Cloyster is sent out first. If you’re feeling very risky, however, then explosion may be for you. After all, it will take a while for anyone to take Cloyster out with physical attacks so you should have plenty of warning before the end comes; giving you time to use explosion.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/11gmw6f.png[/IMG]
    Comming Soon...

Thanks to Skiyomi for the great banner!

It might be possible that Cloyster will be moving completely to the OU tier.
    If it does, I personally think that all of the defensive sets won't really be useful in OU as they could be in UU.

3DS: 5413 1009 1553

Why do people keep putting Ice Shard in Shell Break sets? I say it should be in Other Options at best, even though it could possibly net you a few hits on pokemon that outspeed you. Am I missing something huge?

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Quote Originally Posted by ASB View Post
    Why do people keep putting Ice Shard in Shell Break sets? I say it should be in Other Options at best, even though it could possibly net you a few hits on pokemon that outspeed you. Am I missing something huge?
    It's actually quite useful. It helps give you a shot against priority users which, believe me, are in great supply these days. Notably it hits Breloom and Dragonite for SE damage. The problem with this is a lack of coverage, but Icicle Spear is going to be hitting a huge portion of the metagame hard enough anyways.

So you can revenge kill things without setting up, like Salamence, also.

Icicle Spear + Rock Blast OHKOs a huge portion of the metagame while the water move is only useful on a small number of things (pretty much anything tougher than Blaziken that resists Ice / Rock, though this is a surprisingly small list). Ice Shard removes Breloom as a counter and takes down a 35% Roobushion.

It also revenge kills some dragons as said above, and takes care of frail Scarfers like Lati@s and Gengar which are pretty much the only things faster than you after a Shell Break. You even do 50-60% to Doryuuzu!

Since Cloyster have HUGE defense so it can be acted as a physical wall if you don't want a Skarmory. Anyway this is my favourite Cloyster set:
    Haha!! Fooled you!
    @ Lum Berry
    Skill Link/ Shell Armor
    252 HP/ 28 Atk/ 228 Spe
    Impish
    -Shell Break
    - Spikes
    - Icicle Spear/ Icicle Drop
    - Explosion

If you use Shell Smash, then the opponent would think "This thing gonna sweep my team" so 70% they will switch to a counter or a sturdy wall that lols at him.

Implying the opponent switches into his worst nightmare, Ferrothorn. Usually they will tw first, which you used Spikes. Then he will switch or Gyro Ball. I can't calculate damage yet but I think it will survive it. Use the second Spikes. And if they switch into a special attacker on the third turn you may want to Spikes or just go boom

Caution: Skarmory
        Spoiler:- Click or I will order you to dance with Justin Beiber:

(12:21:35) Udder Chaos: jb is gggggggaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!
    (12:21:45) Ray !: ^
    (12:21:48) GoreAndSuch: ^
    (12:21:51) adadadada: ^

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast