Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Community POTW #7

Ugh. Clam/Oyster whatever it is I don't like it. I want Typhlosion!

Anyhow, I say that Machamp could decimate it. After a shell break a Dynamic Punch could destroy it. Or at least confuse.
    Who is next?

Typhlosion is epic and has beaten the heck out of OUs!

If you are like me, and think that Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, paste this in your sig. Started by Epicpip

MMM... let me think
    Tough as steel cloyster
    carefull nature
    moves
    icicle spear

MMM... let me think
    Tough as steel cloyster
    carefull nature
    moves
    icicle spear
    toxic
    razor shell
    swagger

item: rechargable battery/focus sash
    EVs 255 defence/255 sp def/255 attack/255 hp
    this just tries to block many OHKOers
    special set
    (send out and abomnasnow out)
    blizzard
    surf
    withdraw
    toxic

calm nature

partners
    garchomp
    abomnasnow
    gallade
    all these counter super effective moves

Abilities
    Skill Link: So this ability was around back in Generation III, although it took until now for it to finally get good. While in previous generations moves like Icicle Spear and Rock Blast got a boost to always hit 5 times, now with their improved Base Power they can deal 125 Damage as opposed to 50 in previous generations (that’s before Icicle Spear’s STAB). Factor that in with the fact that you’re demolishing Substitutes and still hitting them for Damage after the fact, and you got some lethal moves on your hands (and a fair means to stop a SubPuncher).
    Shell Armor: While formerly my choice of ability on Cloyster, now probably the most useless ability out of the three. While preventing Critical Hits is nice, the chance behind a possible crit and the superiority of its other abilities puts Shell Armor at the bottom of the barrel.
    Overcoat: Despite being and inferior Magic Guard, man this ability is good. Prevents damaging weather moves from damaging Cloyster, although it already had a Hail-immunity. Pretty much means that Cloyster can switch into a Sandstorm and not have to worry about taking 6.25% damage on each turn. If you’re feeling particularly gutsy that means that you could switch in and possibly threaten the Sand Streamer (of course you have to be wary of a Stone Edge to the face). Now all we have to do is wait for it to come out on the Dream World.

Partners for Cloyster
    As a Pokemon whose Rock-weak, a good Spinner makes a nice partner to get Cloyster in safely and Shell Break (possible with a Focus Sash to make sure it doesn’t get OHKO’d). Forretress or Hitmontop are good partners as they share none of Cloyster’s weaknesses, although other Spinners like Donphan or Claydol could do the job too. Cloyster could also work well on weather teams, as it already has a Hail-immunity and with Overcoat it could be viable on a Sandstorm team (be careful though, as both Sand Streamers are weak to Grass moves and Tyranitar is also weak to Fighting moves). Cloyster could also use some Wish Support if you wanted to work with that, and any Wish Passers like Jirachi or Latias are plausible. Many sweepers will enjoy Cloyster’s ability to (Toxic) Spike, although if Cloyster itself is Sweeping it requires a little bit of legwork.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Requiem
    Cross Country ftw.

use ice,water and ground moves for best coverage
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: those that understand binary and those that don't.

cloyster sucks at dealing with his counters. but if you give it 252 def ev's and a life orb, then it can survive a conkeldurr's Mach Punch and use an icicle spear. usually it dies on the next turn
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Quote Originally Posted by pikamanepicfail45 View Post
    cloyster sucks at dealing with his counters. but if you give it 252 def ev's and a life orb, then it can survive a conkeldurr's Mach Punch and use an icicle spear. usually it dies on the next turn
    He already survives Conkeldurr's Mach Punch. It does 67% max after Shell Break. Even Breloom needs a boosting item or Stealth Rocks to guarantee a OHKO.

Much more importantly if you're going to spend any EVs at all on bulk it should go into HP.

didn't know that. I've never fought Conkeldurr with a cloyster, so i was making an assumption. and with the evs in defense, it does ~50%.
    Conkeldurr i faced that used pwnage-
    Ability- encourage(?)
    leftovers
    hammer arm
    superpower
    payback
    bulk up
    seriously i dont know what compelled this guy to use a set like this, but it OHKOs cloyster with hammer arm or superpower. it doesn't get any drawbacks from its attacks
    if you are like me,and think Typhlosion is too epic to be in UU, copy this in your sig-started by epicpip.

I use this place for my sprites from now on, because they have front, back, male, female, normal, and shiny sprites.
    Credit to The Spriters Resource for all of my images from here forward.

credits go to here.
    Note-My name is Michael, not Micheal. 99% of people cannot spell my name correctly.

Snivy used STONED EDGE!!

Why would you use Hammer Arm and Superpower on the same set?

Also because Cloyster has such low HP and such high Defense if you are to ever invest in Cloysters defenses it means you ALWAYS MAX HP first. Maxing HP gives you about 25% more durability, maxing defense improves it by only about 16% (and doesn't do anything to help your special defense).

is hydro pump as useful as I think it is?

I'm sure I did some calculations and after shell break it OHKOs skarmory.

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    is hydro pump as useful as I think it is?

I'm sure I did some calculations and after shell break it OHKOs skarmory.
    I don't know. Hydro Pump one shots physical Skarmory and Icicle Spear OHKOs Special defensive Skarmory. Hydro Pump does more damage to stuff overall though but Shell Blade is more reliable.

icicle spear can seriously OHKO skarmory? that's ridiculous.

also, a 50% chance of flinching is insane.

Hydro Pump seems to be a lot more handy to take down some dedicated Physical Walls who probably are expecting to take a Shell Blade instead of a Hydro Pump, although I couldn't tell you the calculations if you invest entirely into Attack EVs.
    Cross Country ftw.

Max/max Impish Skarmory takes 80.8% - 98.8% from +2 Icicle Spear. Usually a OHKO after Stealth Rocks. Specially Defensive Skarmory takes 107% minimum.

I think this is pretty much the only Cloyster set people use..

Cloyster @ focus sash / life orb / white herb / king's rock
    jolly / naive
    skill link
    252 speed / 252 attack / 4 hp

shell break
    icicle spear
    rock blast
    hydro pump / shell blade

Jolly / naive is preferred over Adamant so you can outrun scarfed jirachi / sazandora / garchomp but also outrun Gyarados before a shell break and +2 Blaziken after. hydro pump is stronger than shell blade yet it less reliable. it claims ohkos on skarmory / metagross that shell blade can't.

focus sash: great as a lead, THE reason I stopped using CB ononokusu. +2 icicle spear destroys all other focus sash leads.

life orb: #1 item to use since it gives you a ton of OHKOs against walls.

white herb: prevents stuff like doryuuzu, breloom and roobushion from revenge killing you.

king's rock: gives nearly 50% flinch rate with your multi-hit moves and can help you muscle through a suicune or something.

Wait, Icicle Spear does THAT much? I feel like that makes your Water move moot, unless you're using Hydro Pump to take out a Registeel.
    Cross Country ftw.

Water move hits stuff like steels that Ice / Rock can't.

BIG BULKY CLAM FOR SPIKES

- Spikes
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Shard
    - Substitute/Barrier/Explosion
    Item Attached: Leftovers
    Ability: Shell Armor
    Ability and Nature
    200 HP 100 Atk 252 Def
    Relaxed (+Def -Spd)

This moveset sets up spikes and can rapid spin can take away your opponents at the same time as well as Stealth Rock and Toxic Spikes. Ice Shard makes Cloysters speed irrelevant when going up against Dragons. Substitute will make spikes easier to set-up, Barrier is for support, and Explosion is for revenge kill.

BIG BULKY CLAM FOR ATTACKING

- Ice Shard
    - Icicle Spear/Clamp/Rock Blast
    - Waterfall/Rapid Spin
    - Mudshot/Explosion
    Item Attached: Quick Claw/Focus Sash
    Ability: Shell Link/Shell Armor
    EV and Nature
    252 HP 252 Atk 4 Def
    Adamant (+Atk -SAtk)

Ice Shard is for out speeding dragons. Icicle Spear, Clamp and Rock Blast are the only attacks that makes Cloysters Shell Link relevant. Waterfall is for STAB while Rapid Spin is for getting rod of SR ect... Mudshot is the only other option I can see if you don't want to use revenge Kill Explosion. If you decide to go with Shell Armor over Shell Link than obviously replace Clamp, Icicle Spear, and Rock Blast with one of the other options.

This is my first try at POTW Collaboration, I hope I did a good job...

So, I guess the main question here is this: Shell Blade or Hydro Pump?

NOTICE: Above White FC is no longer valid. FC is now 0562-2001-5885.

Awesome pic by xPrincessAmanda.

John 3:36, John 3:16, Romans 6:23, Romans 3:23, Romans 5:8, John 14:6, Ephesians 2:8-9, Acts 3:19
    Join the Serebii Christian Alliance - http://www.serebiiforums.com/showthread.php?t=368080

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I guess that's true. By those calculations though, Icicle Spear seems more than capable to hit those who even resist Ice for some heavy damage.
    Cross Country ftw.

My set can run Shell Blade if you want, just shift 48 SpA to HP and change Nature to Jolly.

Max speed is not need. You won't speed tie on anything after Shell Break.

208 EV need to out speed scarfchomp
    224 EV need to out speed scarf 105 base speed
    244 EV need to out speed scarf 108 base speed
    Imposible to out speed scarf 110 base speed

IMO 105 and 108 use scarf is rare that why I use only 208.
    Last edited by GameMaster0000; 15th February 2011 at 7:18 AM.
    3DS FC : 3566-2812-7996

My Safari have :

I can Pokeshift service.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Harvest View Post
    I may be entirely wrong, but I seem to remember seeing a calc that showed a Shell Break'd Icicle Spear hitting a decently defensive Heatran for around 50% damage. I know the OHKO is important, but with Icicle Spear and Rock Blast getting decent damage even on Steels, is the 4th move even necessary? Could it be used as some kind of team support move?

I haven't actually used a Cloyster before, though, so I can't speak too certainly, but isn't it used late game to clear up when the Steel types are weakened?
    Quote Originally Posted by XxEpicsxX View Post
    Everything's possible, but that doesn't make it likely.
    ^What PAD needs to learn

Spoiler:- Misc in a nutshell:

Quote Originally Posted by GameMaster0000 View Post
    My set can run Shell Blade if you want, just shift 48 SpA to HP and change Nature to Jolly.

Max speed is not need. You won't speed tie on anything after Shell Break.

208 EV need to out speed scarfchomp
    224 EV need to out speed scarf 105 base speed
    244 EV need to out speed scarf 108 base speed
    Imposible to out speed scarf 110 base speed

IMO 105 and 108 use scarf is rare that why I use only 208.
    Max speed beats out Gyarados, Dragonite, and Blaziken before a Shell Break (and +2 Blaziken after). 48 HP EVs is viable though, it helps take on Roobushion after a Shell Break I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by streetlightdsb View Post
    I may be entirely wrong, but I seem to remember seeing a calc that showed a Shell Break'd Icicle Spear hitting a decently defensive Heatran for around 50% damage. I know the OHKO is important, but with Icicle Spear and Rock Blast getting decent damage even on Steels, is the 4th move even necessary? Could it be used as some kind of team support move?

I haven't actually used a Cloyster before, though, so I can't speak too certainly, but isn't it used late game to clear up when the Steel types are weakened?
    Max Attack Adamant LO Ice Shard vs 0/0 Heatran: 34.1% - 40.2%

Sorta impressive, but it is a 62 base power LO boosted STAB move against something with zero defensive investment. Hydro Pump usually OHKOs after Stealth Rocks without a Shell Break. Dropping the Water move for something like Spikes or Ice Shard isn't a terrible idea but Cloyster really likes having water STAB. On the other hand you OHKO most of the top used Pokemon with just Icicle Spear and Rock Blast. I guess you could run Spikes or something but.. whats the point when you can be attacking? What does Ice Shard hit? Its not like your Water move is going to waste.

This is pretty much the cloyster I see when I battle.
    Regular Usage or for Lead
    Nature: Adamant - EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Trait:Skill Link Item: Focus Sash
    Icicle Spear
    Rock Blast
    Ice Shard
    Shell Smash
    My Pokécheck
    Flying Type Friend Safari: Hoothoot, Farfetch, and Hawlucha. FC: 0344 9445 4037 PM me to add

why do you use shell smash. defence is what cloyster is all about.
    good counters are pokemon with special electric moves, eg magnezone.

__________________________________________________ ______

if you belive that garchomp is too good for the Uber tier then copy and paste this in your sig. (started by garchompkid)

Quote Originally Posted by Reno View Post
    icicle spear can seriously OHKO skarmory? that's ridiculous.

also, a 50% chance of flinching is insane.
    It doesn't have a 50% chance of flinch. Each hit has a 11.7% chance of flinching. Those chances aren't added together. That would be like saying if using a move that has a 50% flinch rate was used twice, it would flinch guaranteed. That would really have a 25% chance of each result, Flinch/No, No/No, Flinch/Flinch, No/Flinch. Each hit has a 11.7% chance on it's own of triggering, which isn't a lot. It's good, but not THAT good. It's not usually worth giving up LO or with Rapid Spin support, Focus Sash.
    This is a signature that doesn't eat up an absurd amount of space.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast