Thread: Metroid Series Thread

Default Metroid Series Thread

With the announcement of both Prime 4 and Samus Returns today, and therefore confirmation that the Metroid franchise is not dead, I figured it would be apt to open up a Metroid thread.

It may have just been a teaser, but the announcement of Prime 4 was easily on the top of my list of E3 moments. I knew this day would come eventually, but I didn't think it would be so soon.

And then there's Samus Returns. It's interesting that it's quite literally the first 2D Metroid game we've gotten since Zero Mission in 2004, 13 years ago. That's insane. Normally I'm against the idea of making 2D games when 3D exists, that's why I've never been a big fan of the New Super Mario Bros series or the recent Sonic games, but I think Metroid might just be the one franchise that I feel the two versions can co-exist. I'm little disappointed it's on 3DS instead of Switch, but I'll live with it. I never played Metroid II, so I'm especially interested in this game. To anyone who saw today's footage and played the original, can you give me an idea on how much has changed?

Also, I would just like to point out the fact of how extremely appropriate that game's name is. Samus Returns. It's been six years since our last Metroid game, but now Samus has returned.
    Last edited by Bguy7; 14th June 2017 at 7:28 AM.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

For news, reviews, info on my games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, Special Episodes, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing my custom Pokémon, including pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website. Join us as we celebrate Ash's 20th 10th Birthday!

As a Metroid fan myself, I'm really hyped for both Metroid games. I didn't even think we would get a Metroid game this soon after the Federation Force 'fiasco' (as many call it) last year. I never played Metroid II, so this is my perfect chance to play it in a modern form.

And for the record, it's like a year since the last Metroid. Federation Force is a Metroid game, it's too late to deny that now, it happened. The rest of your 'Samus Returns' point still holds though, it's indeed six (now seven) years since we last played as Samus in a Metroid game. :P

Banner made by Satomine Night

Quote Originally Posted by Hero of Truth View Post
    As a Metroid fan myself, I'm really hyped for both Metroid games. I didn't even think we would get a Metroid game this soon after the Federation Force 'fiasco' (as many call it) last year. I never played Metroid II, so this is my perfect chance to play it in a modern form.
    Honestly, as much as people hated Federation Force, it's the one thing that gave me hope that the franchise wasn't dead. There's no reason that you create an out-of-the-blue spin-off for a dead franchise. I always thought of it as hold-over until they were able to release the real thing, especially given the tease at the end of the game.

And for the record, it's like a year since the last Metroid. Federation Force is a Metroid game, it's too late to deny that now, it happened. The rest of your 'Samus Returns' point still holds though, it's indeed six (now seven) years since we last played as Samus in a Metroid game. :P
    Well, sure, on the strictest of technicalities, but a spin-off hardly counts. And you are right, it has been seven years. I was thinking Other M came out in 2011, not 2010.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

For news, reviews, info on my games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, Special Episodes, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing my custom Pokémon, including pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website. Join us as we celebrate Ash's 20th 10th Birthday!

Well I thought they were planing something, FF was just a way to tell everyone that a Metroid game is coming but still in development kind or thing.

I haven't seen much of the game yet to say for sure but look like the Metroid are gonna be quite hostile (they sort of just appear and can be easy taken down in the original). the defensive move along with that special attack are indeed new (looks like a bit of Other M fighting style is in here, which I like quite a bit).