View Poll Results: Favorite Zelda game

Voters
692. You may not vote on this poll
  • Twilight Princess

    177 25.58%
  • Wind Waker

    172 24.86%
  • Ocarina of Time

    289 41.76%
  • Others

    220 31.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 211 of 268 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261 ... LastLast
Results 5,251 to 5,275 of 6695

Thread: Zelda games discussion

  1. #5251
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Purgatory
    Posts
    1,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    if it ever comes to michigan then i'm all ears.
    You, I like you.
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL ~ Kid Icarus club ~ Attack on Titan club ~ Xat New Leaf dream code: 4800 2561 7674

  2. #5252
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Kanto
    Posts
    193

    Default

    I am doing Master Quest 3D (with 3 hearts..I know, I am crazy) since I already beat OoT twice already.
    That and a 3 heart run of the original game...along with Twilight Princess.
    Twilight Princess suffered from being WAY to easy of a Zelda game.
    Check out Dragon-Tamer club..had to remove it because sig was too big. (Mod: As was having the water club)

    Credit to Savanny
    CREDIT TO CYRIUS[
    Need someone to train your pokemon or breed for one ? I will do it.


  3. #5253
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Yes
    Posts
    1,285

    Default

    Has anyone else heard of the Majora's Mask opera that's happening?

    http://majoraopera.wordpress.com/

    It hasn't been updated for a while, so I'm not sure if he's still doing it, but I think some of the songs are incredibly done.
    Deku Palace
    http://youtu.be/9FWGKCqjXqM
    Anju and the Postman
    http://youtu.be/NMv-sUrLIWs
    Pamela
    http://youtu.be/cNP6KdSKlQc
    Sakon
    http://youtu.be/cNP6KdSKlQc
    Mayor's room
    http://youtu.be/mle6z8kx428
    even if we don't understand each other, that's not a reason to reject each other. There are two sides to any argument. Is there one point of view that has all the answers? Give it some thought.
    ^ This is the reason why I like arguing. If I come off as standoffish or overly angry in an argument, don't worry. I'm probably having the time of my life. Whether I agree with them or not, the pokemon fandom has a lot of different opinions, and I love how nobody is afraid to share them.


  4. #5254
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brb rape
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Almost all my favourite pieces come from Majora's Mask, that game was unsurpassed in the series tbqh, especially on the music front. I mean sure there are some gems in every game, but they are generally few, Majora's Mask is consistently evocative and appropriate with its soundtrack, really well thought out and woven into the game.

    One of my favourites (can't really choose a definite one) would be Calling the Four Giants, which happens to be the first Majora's Mask piece I recorded on piano. XD

  5. #5255
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    16,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    Almost all my favourite pieces come from Majora's Mask, that game was unsurpassed in the series tbqh, especially on the music front. I mean sure there are some gems in every game, but they are generally few, Majora's Mask is consistently evocative and appropriate with its soundtrack, really well thought out and woven into the game.

    One of my favourites (can't really choose a definite one) would be Calling the Four Giants, which happens to be the first Majora's Mask piece I recorded on piano. XD
    I prefer the music of the Wind Waker series of games myself. They employ more interesting instruments, in my opinion.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  6. #5256
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brb rape
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Wind Waker's music was excellent as well, although it's weird because WW's mood was the polar opposite of MM's. Definitely a display of the magic that Nintendo had, they're getting a little too keen on catering to the people who just think of Ocarina of Time as a Zelda benchmark.

    Well not just a little too keen. :/

  7. #5257
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    16,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    Wind Waker's music was excellent as well, although it's weird because WW's mood was the polar opposite of MM's. Definitely a display of the magic that Nintendo had, they're getting a little too keen on catering to the people who just think of Ocarina of Time as a Zelda benchmark.

    Well not just a little too keen. :/
    I dunno, I think Skyward Sword was a fair bit different from OoT. We'll have to wait and see what the next new game is like, but I don't think they've got caught up in it.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  8. #5258
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brb rape
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Well it recycled the "get 3 of something to unlock Master Sword then do like 4 more things and fight bad guy and it was Ganon all along." Sorry I mean Demise.

    I mean you may say that's the point of Zelda, but they hardly did much to compel me into not being "oh this again". Lanayru was really the only stellar part of the game, and well the rest was a mixed bag at best.

  9. #5259

    Default

    Skyward Sword added considerably more to do between dungeons, particularly in the latter half.

    If you're going to fault them for structuring the game as "three dungeons > quest shift > 4-5 dungeons > endgame" despite that significantly different material, not only would I ask how you might differently structure what is a dungeon-heavy action/RPG, but I would suggest you might keep in mind that the structure started with A Link to the Past rather than Ocarina.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  10. #5260
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brb rape
    Posts
    68

    Default

    If my considerably more you mean dowsing for about 100 years then sure.

    Also the structure did start with ALttP yes, but doing somethign for the first time exempts it from pattern repetition criticism. Also bear in mind that the reason I also mentioned Ocarina is because that is the game that is always ranted and raved about, people don't call ALttP the quintessential Zelda experience, even though I would say it is.

    Also what Skyward Sword also does is relentlessly hold your hand the entire way, and doesn't let you opt out of just skipping exceptionally long tutorial segments. Some things perhaps need some help to get into, but God man what happened to just having the player work the basics out themselves? Guess it's because we don't have instruction manuals anymore, I miss those, because it meant that by the time you fired up the game, you were expected to know the basics. Of course nobody read them but hey, that way it didn't spend 2 hours going "hey Link, this is how you run, now run around in circles five times to progress. Oh sorry Link you ran 4 times, try again!"

    I sound like I really hate the game which I don't, I did enjoy it, but I really think they're rehashing emptily and pandering rather than taking risks and producing truly memorable experiences.

    OoT: Memorable
    MM: Memorable
    WW: Memorable
    TP: =/
    SS: Meh

  11. #5261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    If my considerably more you mean dowsing for about 100 years then sure.
    Or I mean things like the dragon's quests and boss battles outside of dungeons and other such elements. But if you'd prefer to (partially inaccurately) distill the material down that way, that's your prerogative.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    Also what Skyward Sword also does is relentlessly hold your hand the entire way, and doesn't let you opt out of just skipping exceptionally long tutorial segments. Some things perhaps need some help to get into, but God man what happened to just having the player work the basics out themselves? Guess it's because we don't have instruction manuals anymore, I miss those, because it meant that by the time you fired up the game, you were expected to know the basics. Of course nobody read them but hey, that way it didn't spend 2 hours going "hey Link, this is how you run, now run around in circles five times to progress. Oh sorry Link you ran 4 times, try again!"
    That's exaggerated. The tutorials weren't anywhere near that binding.

    Furthermore, you call Wind Waker memorable despite it using a nearly identical structure. I realize the game's aesthetics and atmosphere account for a significant portion of that, but still.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  12. #5262
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brb rape
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Yes because Wind Waker, rather than harping about your DESTINY and overtly latching onto the OoT structure, it creates an entirely new setting, new mood, new art style (that's actually chosen for artistic purpose unlike SS where I don't get why they used the impressionist style apart from wanting to make something pretty on the Wii's limited hardware), with strong characterisation all round and a different spin on the hero thing.

    See Zelda's general theme is that of the destined hero, whereas Link of WW has to go fight through arduous tasks to become a hero. He isn't supposed to be the hero, he earns that through his grit and determination, as well as his overall good nature. The end too, where the King tells the children that it's time to stop the shadows of the past holding the future back was very poignant, and imo metaphorical for the direction the Zelda series should have taken.

    Again like I said it's not the formula per se that bothers me, everything has a core structure, but you really should do something outstanding to draw you away.

    I mean which characters do you really grow attached to in SS? I mean the general Skyloft folk you don't interact with all that much, and not at any deep level. Zelda you never bloody see so I mean, what sort of rapport can you really build with someone you're chasing the entire time? Groose was the best done character in the game, and even his development felt exceptionally forced.

    The Dragon quest was quite good, but that falls under Lanayru which I already mentioned as being particularly stellar. Again though you say stuff like the boss rush or what, exactly? I mean the boss rush just gave you a chance to fight the bosses again, somethign we saw in Majora's Mask anyway, and that's not really especially going to make me care more.

    What else? Was mostly just a case of fetch quests, and although I'm not the sort of person who wants dungeondungeondungeon (I mean Majora's Mask is my favourite and it only has 4 main temples), but what I want is some variety and significance to all the material that fleshes the game out. You can get through SS's stuff without too much complaint, but I mean how much of all that extra stuff was making you just really really care? Can't say tadtones were particularly enthralling.

    When you're judging a Zelda game, you're judging at the highest possible standards. While a game from another franchise that was exactly like SS I would probably laud for its efforts and say is a great game with some things it could work on, Zelda games have to fight against the fact their experience should stop them from making unambitious and questionable design choices.

    I liked SS, but sorry, I don't see myself playing it again, and the more I think about it the more I'm just underwhelmed. Nothing about it apart from Lanayru really struck me as fantastic, and honestly if it weren't for Lanayru I'd be far more disappointed with the experience.

    EDIT: With regards to the tutorial stuff, pretty sure it was worked out that there's about 1h of opening tutorial material that you are bound to.

    Pretty sure that's a lot.
    Last edited by kingmassa; 20th January 2013 at 11:57 PM.

  13. #5263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    Zelda you never bloody see so I mean, what sort of rapport can you really build with someone you're chasing the entire time?
    They did a pretty decent job establishing Link and Zelda's relationship despite their limited time on screen together.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    The Dragon quest was quite good, but that falls under Lanayru which I already mentioned as being particularly stellar.
    Why would all of that fall under one province of the game? You have quests to do in all three regions, all of them different, and again that doesn't count things like the Levias battle.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    but what I want is some variety and significance to all the material that fleshes the game out.
    Three completely different quests between later dungeons with three completely different types of gameplay.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    I liked SS, but sorry, I don't see myself playing it again, and the more I think about it the more I'm just underwhelmed. Nothing about it apart from Lanayru really struck me as fantastic, and honestly if it weren't for Lanayru I'd be far more disappointed with the experience.
    I don't really care what you do or don't do with the game. It just seems to me like somewhere along the way you resolved to view the game with as cynical an eye as possible and went from there, is all.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    With regards to the tutorial stuff, pretty sure it was worked out that there's about 1h of opening tutorial material that you are bound to.

    Pretty sure that's a lot.
    One hour of what is a 15-20 hour main quest? Percentage-wise, that's not really a lot, no.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  14. #5264
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    a really nice chair
    Posts
    3,920

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    Yes because Wind Waker, rather than harping about your DESTINY and overtly latching onto the OoT structure, it creates an entirely new setting, new mood, new art style (that's actually chosen for artistic purpose unlike SS where I don't get why they used the impressionist style apart from wanting to make something pretty on the Wii's limited hardware), with strong characterisation all round and a different spin on the hero thing.
    They used the art style they did for two reasons:
    1) It makes it easier to see enemies' attacks and act accordingly
    2) A bit more subliminal, but WW's art style, where the world went to crap and was flooded, is cel-shaded. Twilight Princess, where everything went to be normal after OoT, is a bit more moody. OoT, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword, they all come before either of these two timelines and had none of either. Skyward Sword, being released after Wind Waker and TP, is a combination. People speculated that the styles split up accordingly with the timelines.

  15. #5265
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Brb rape
    Posts
    68

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    They did a pretty decent job establishing Link and Zelda's relationship despite their limited time on screen together.
    They established Link and Zelda are close early on, but giving you no reason to actually care. Where they separated you from Aryll who you don't necessarily build a rapport with, you have characters like Tetra and the pirates introduced to build a relationship with, and as your adventure progresses these extended relationships become important.

    Again what you're failing to respond with his how much did you actually connect and care? How much immersion was there as opposed to just "oh I'm here playing this vidjagam". No really consider that.


    Why would all of that fall under one province of the game? You have quests to do in all three regions, all of them different, and again that doesn't count things like the Levias battle.
    Let me try and recall these quests. Okay. God the fact that I'm having to think about this is really sort of a serious problem.

    Faron: Dowse and dowse some more. When you're done dowsing, get to the temple. Round 2, douse then some tadtones and stuff cool time for temple.


    Eldin: Go through some caves and dowse. Get item. Go to Volcano.
    R2: Lose all your items, get them back, get to temple.

    I mean again I'm not opposed to more playtime but really it's just like oh more of this and no engagement whatsoever. It's all just thrown in in a way that obviously just demands you to spend more time, rather than to purposely add any sense of gravity, context or genuine care for the adventure, mission, and the world in it.

    This is something which older Zeldas often managed.

    Three completely different quests between later dungeons with three completely different types of gameplay.
    And can you please spell these out for me because I have a feeling I might just have forgotten because I really don't remember all the much exciting variety.

    I don't really care what you do or don't do with the game. It just seems to me like somewhere along the way you resolved to view the game with as cynical an eye as possible and went from there, is all.
    Actually quite the opposite, I was really excited and gave it ample opportunities to impress me. How is it that I can call some parts of the game stellar and just gripe about other stuff? I can because it's true. Trust me, the intense cynicism and scathing is reserved for Twilight Princess.

    One hour of what is a 15-20 hour main quest? Percentage-wise, that's not really a lot, no.
    Words cannot express how much is wrong with this sentiment. One hour of forced, unnecessary, boring, borderline frustrating game time is not an issue? ONLY 5-7% of total time? I mean this isn't counting all the times Fi butts in to say "hey Link *the bloody obvious goes here*". Again if all of this could be skipped then we're all cool here, but no, it's imposed, and a minimum of 5% total gameplay time being imposed tutorial sequences is unacceptable.

    Quote Originally Posted by Zibdas View Post
    They used the art style they did for two reasons:
    1) It makes it easier to see enemies' attacks and act accordingly
    2) A bit more subliminal, but WW's art style, where the world went to crap and was flooded, is cel-shaded. Twilight Princess, where everything went to be normal after OoT, is a bit more moody. OoT, Majora's Mask, Skyward Sword, they all come before either of these two timelines and had none of either. Skyward Sword, being released after Wind Waker and TP, is a combination. People speculated that the styles split up accordingly with the timelines.
    1) It does? Is it something to do with the colour contrast or something?

    2) Pretty sure that's not really what it is. I'm sorry but the whole timeline hoo hah wasn't actually bothered about until fanboys starting their relentless crusade on the concept with the advent of the internet. Obviously they had the structure of some kind, but timeline stuff really wasn't the cornerstone until it started becoming the thing fans obsessed over (literally the worst thing to obsess over because the ambiguity allowed for freshness). But I mean, if the art style was specifically chosen to facilitate the advanced combat, then that answers my question I guess, since that actually does make sense.
    Last edited by kingmassa; 21st January 2013 at 2:14 AM.

  16. #5266

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    Again what you're failing to respond with his how much did you actually connect and care? How much immersion was there as opposed to just "oh I'm here playing this vidjagam". No really consider that.
    I'm failing to respond with it because it's item number "haha no" on the list of things I'm worried about when I'm playing a video game. How much I am "connecting and caring" doesn't have a whole lot of effect on whether I'm doing my best to properly press buttons and move the controller. Clearly you and I simply have different standards as to what interactive game software really "needs" in order to be "good".

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    God the fact that I'm having to think about this is really sort of a serious problem.
    No it isn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    It's all just thrown in in a way that obviously just demands you to spend more time, rather than to purposely add any sense of gravity, context or genuine care for the adventure, mission, and the world in it.
    The distinction between "it demands you to spend more time" and "add[s] any sense of gravity, context or genuine care for the adventure, mission, and the world in it" seems to be defined by whether it met with your approval or not.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    And can you please spell these out for me because I have a feeling I might just have forgotten because I really don't remember all the much exciting variety.
    Flooded forest. Weaponless stealth on the volcano. Defending the moving Timeshift Stone in the desert. All different goals than simply getting from point A to point B while defeating anything that gets in your way.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    I can because it's true.
    It's true to you.

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    Words cannot express how much is wrong with this sentiment.
    Guess you'll just have to use a drawing or song or something, then. Interpretive dance, maybe?

    Quote Originally Posted by kingmassa View Post
    One hour of forced, unnecessary, boring, borderline frustrating game time is not an issue? ONLY 5-7% of total time? I mean this isn't counting all the times Fi butts in to say "hey Link *the bloody obvious goes here*". Again if all of this could be skipped then we're all cool here, but no, it's imposed, and a minimum of 5% total gameplay time being imposed tutorial sequences is unacceptable.
    Why was any of the tutorial material really that bad? It's not as if they lock you in a room and drill you on the material. It hardly constitutes more of the game than, say, Ocarina's tutorial stuff does, and with a completely new control scheme, wouldn't you prefer the game teach you the basis of combat before it dumps you into the midst of a horde of enemies and say "'kay, have fun!"?
    Last edited by BCVM22; 21st January 2013 at 2:27 AM.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  17. #5267
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South of Nowhere
    Posts
    7,911

    Default

    Hoooooooooolllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyy fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
    hd windwaker on the wii u what the flying **** can't contain all my hypes. Can't contain them at all! I don't give a **** if its cause the newer one is gonna take long to make, its the best apology ever. Ever!

    More importantly, the next one is gonna be non-linear? You said that about SS, but we'll see Aonuma, we'll see!
    Last edited by mitchman_93; 23rd January 2013 at 2:41 PM.
    BLAH

  18. #5268
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Newton
    Posts
    3,574

    Default

    HD Windwaker looked amazing! Just when I thought I would be free from buying new stuff after April we get a fall release

  19. #5269
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    From the land down under...
    Posts
    7,000

    Default

        Spoiler:- :

    Now that looks pretty.

    A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

    The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

    Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Fan Art Reviews: toufu's Manga! Check out neat art of Golduck and Shinx, among others!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

  20. #5270
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    In QTR
    Posts
    45

    Default

    It's look more then pretty, I can wait to play it again


    My Shinies:

    3DS FC : 0645-5808-1475
    Pokemon in My Safari: Dedenne, Helioptile, Manectric




  21. #5271
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    South of Nowhere
    Posts
    7,911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
        Spoiler:- :

    Now that looks pretty.
    So pretty. I especially love the bloom. Hopefully Motion + controls are available, and they map the baton to the Wii Remote. I mean its a match made in heaven, and I couldn't care much for the touchscreen, even if everything gets moved there. I wonder how our WW aficionado will react to this.....
    BLAH

  22. #5272
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    16,900

    Default

    Oh my god guys. I can't even begin to even anything.

    Wind Waker in glorious dynamically lighted cel-shaded beauty. This is my life.

    Quote Originally Posted by mitchman_93 View Post
    I wonder how our WW aficionado will react to this.....
    You have your answer. Mind blown. Heart aflutter. Tears streaking down my face.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  23. #5273
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Not in Obamaland
    Posts
    5,867

    Default

    You know how I say things like "Pokemon X & Y is not enough for me to want to buy a 3DS?"

    Well, THIS BEAUTIFUL THING is enough to make me want to buy a Wii U!!! If they did the same for Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, somehow, I think that would be an excellent idea.

    However, I STILL think the basic character design is the stupidest thing ever. Especially the way everyone waves soooooooooooooooooo slowly.
    Last edited by Thriller; 23rd January 2013 at 4:30 PM.
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets


    At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

    I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

  24. #5274
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    16,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Thriller View Post
    You know how I say things like "Pokemon X & Y is not enough for me to want to buy a 3DS?"

    Well, THIS BEAUTIFUL THING is enough to make me want to buy a Wii U!!! If they did the same for Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks, somehow, I think that would be an excellent idea.

    However, I STILL think the basic character design is the stupidest thing ever. Especially the way everyone waves soooooooooooooooooo slowly.
    If the one complaint you have is that people wave too slowly I think we'll be okay. Their wave seems pretty normal to me.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  25. #5275
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Not in Obamaland
    Posts
    5,867

    Default

    Is it normal for you to keep on waving? and waving? and waving? and waving? and waving?
    Pokemon: The Theme of Secrets


    At long last, I am returning with my Fan-Fic. Just need to find a better host. Blogger has done its course but I need just a little more recognition.

    I freaking HATE "Mega" Evolution.

Page 211 of 268 FirstFirst ... 111161201207208209210211212213214215221261 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •