177 25.54%
  • Wind Waker

172 24.82%
  • Ocarina of Time

290 41.85%
  • Others

220 31.75%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 185 of 268 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235 ... LastLast
Results 4,601 to 4,625 of 6699

Thread: Zelda games discussion

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    By... who?
    Fi, your partner. She made a habit if stopping me from moving every so often to tell me stuff I already knew/already figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Yeah, it'd be perfect. The only downside would be that the motion control couldn't be 1:1 like Skyward sword, since there's no enough buttons to handle all the different angles Link can slash his sword. That doesn't bother me though, it was a silly gimmick.
    The swordplay didn't feel gimmicky to me, in fact I think it slightly enhanced the swordplay(but that might have been down to enemy design and AI rather than the motion controls). It could easily be replaced with buttons though, apart from the Spin Attack, which was pretty awesome without the charging time it usually has. I don't know why but I feel as if you're more prone to getting mobbed by enemies in this game.

I think the items, menus etc. benefitted much more from Motion controls than swordplay. One thing I loved about Skyward sword is that you were no longer rooted to the spot while aiming weapons. Also choosing items and potions was also done in real time and we could even dodge with the menu open. It made battles a lot more fluid. The Shields in particular were handled very well, as not only did being hit with your shield up stun you, but it would break unless you timed your Shield Bash. Of course all the items, menus and mechanics like flight and skydiving could be done with buttons but I think they would suffer more than swordplay without motion control.
    Last edited by Aurath8; 7th June 2012 at 10:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    The swordplay didn't feel gimmicky to me, in fact I think it slightly enhanced the swordplay(but that might have been down to enemy design and AI rather than the motion controls). It could easily be replaced with buttons though, apart from the Spin Attack, which was pretty awesome without the charge. It may have been a bit overpowered, as it allowed you to knock down most enemies to the floor(even Lizalfos) and proceed to plunge your sword in their neck to kill them in 2 hits.

I think the items, menus etc. benefitted much more from Motion controls than swordplay. One thing I loved about Skyward sword is that you were no longer rooted to the spot while aiming weapons. Also choosing items and potions was also done in real time and we could even dodge with the menu open. It made battles a lot more fluid. The Shields in particular were handled very well. Of course all the items, menus and mechanics like flight and skydiving could be done with buttons but I think they would suffer more than swordplay without motion control.
    I don't mind the 1:1 motion either, but i think it'd just be better for them to make motion vs. controller optional to please as many people as they can, especially in a time where they need SOMETHING to keep the haters from hating!

RIP Ice Grabbers
    Super Smash Bros. Melee - Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Nana you're too smart for a 3DS.
    *credit to PurpleBlitz for drac stuff*

Yeah, it'd be perfect. The only downside would be that the motion control couldn't be 1:1 like Skyward sword, since there's no enough buttons to handle all the different angles Link can slash his sword. That doesn't bother me though, it was a silly gimmick.
    Yeah, I thought about that. Basic sword slashing like Twilight Princess would be fine by me.
    I claim Larvitar!

Quote Originally Posted by Bestgamepearl View Post
    I don't mind the 1:1 motion either, but i think it'd just be better for them to make motion vs. controller optional to please as many people as they can, especially in a time where they need SOMETHING to keep the haters from hating!
    Doubt they will though but it's very possible (at the sacrifice of your camera maybe). Still don't see why so much complaint over the motion controls (even now).
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by Charizard Champion#06 View Post
    Fi, your partner. She made a habit if stopping me from moving every so often to tell me stuff I already knew/already figured out.
    Was she really any worse than Navi, whom I don't hear people claiming "ruined" Ocarina (HEY! LISTEN! memes aside)?

but i think it'd just be better for them to make motion vs. controller optional to please as many people as they can
    Except for where that would water down most of the game, since very little of the motion-dependent gameplay from Skyward would have been doable with button controls. There'd be little point to adding motion control at that point - if you're going to water down the game enough so that everything is button-simple, why bother?

especially in a time where they need SOMETHING to keep the haters from hating!
    That's an awful reason to do anything.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Was she really any worse than Navi, whom I don't hear people claiming "ruined" Ocarina (HEY! LISTEN! memes aside)?
    Yes. Absolutely yes. I'll take 10 Navis over one Fi.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Come on now. They served the exact same purpose. Claiming Navi didn't stop you mid-game to shout at you is willfully misremembering.

-----
    Words to|live by

I didn't find Navi annoying at all. I ignored her cries most of the time anyway, and it's not like she's screaming at you.
    I claim Larvitar!

Come on now. They served the exact same purpose. Claiming Navi didn't stop you mid-game to shout at you is willfully misremembering.
    It's not that they did different things, it's how they did that same thing. Navi pops up way less, for one, and basically tells you were to go. Fi pops up all the time telling you something completely obvious while throwing around arbitrary percentages for no reason, and it completely enrages me.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Yeah. Navi only gave vague hints compared to Fi, who will tell you exactly what happened in the cutscene you just watched.

Fi pops up all the time telling you something completely obvious while throwing around arbitrary percentages for no reason, and it completely enrages me.
    It's 72% possible that you're letting the latter cloud your judgement and that this doesn't make her worse than Navi.

Yeah. Navi only gave vague hints compared to Fi, who will tell you exactly what happened in the cutscene you just watched.
    That's the whole point. She's basically a robot. Yes, she's going to take all of the floaty images and moving statues and flying spirits you just saw in the cutscene and dryly summarize it for you. It really isn't a big deal.

-----
    Words to|live by

It's 72% possible that you're letting the latter cloud your judgement and that this doesn't make her worse than Navi.
    FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

It does for me. Navi can be ignored except for a few times in the story where she forcibly talks to you. Fi shows up too often and is annoying all the time.

Why don't I find the sidekicks annoying? I'm glad I don't.

It does for me.
    And that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that objectively, they were the same concept, executed differently as their different forms and existences dictated. You can't claim Navi was fine but that Fi was too much.

-----
    Words to|live by

And that's fine, but it doesn't change the fact that objectively, they were the same concept, executed differently as their different forms and existences dictated. You can't claim Navi was fine but that Fi was too much.
    I'm not claiming it as fact, merely as my opinion.

That's the whole point. She's basically a robot. Yes, she's going to take all of the floaty images and moving statues and flying spirits you just saw in the cutscene and dryly summarize it for you. It really isn't a big deal.
    After the 30th or so time it seems like the game is treating me like an idiot. Yes, I know the switch opened the door, I just watched it happen. Yes, I know the boss key is in that chest over there, it's the same kind of chest the last three boss keys were in. Yes, I know my hearts are low, the game already has a beeping sound that tells me. Yes, I see the mechanism in the middle of the room, how about I go figure out this puzzle by myself instead of you giving me obvious hints that essentially tell me what to do?

The difference between Navi and Fi is that Navi is less frequent in telling you things and she doesn't treat you like a 6 year old.

I don't get why people fret over partners; if they're going to say something I already know about, I skip it, not complain about it, for God's sake.

Are you forced to listen to Fi? (or forced to rapidly tap A to skip) Because IIRC, there are very few times where Navi actually forces you to listen and read something.
    I claim Larvitar!

Fi's alright, her percentages gimmick is kind of lame but at least she has a personality unlike Navi.

But we can all agree Midna is the best, yes?

Quote Originally Posted by DL-Ghirahim View Post
    I don't get why people fret over partners; if they're going to say something I already know about, I skip it, not complain about it, for God's sake.
    That's a dumb counter-argument. There's no way for the player to know whether Fi will feed them redundant information or not until they've already read it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitarquake View Post
    Are you forced to listen to Fi? (or forced to rapidly tap A to skip) Because IIRC, there are very few times where Navi actually forces you to listen and read something.
    Yes, there are many times that Fi pops up without invitation. And God forbid if your batteries are low. She's blare a harsh ringing sound through the Wiimote every time you enter a new area until you respond so she can tell you that you have low batteries. Even though there's already an on-screen prompt for it and my batteries have at least another 3 hours of life left.

Quote Originally Posted by Endoplasmic Reticulum View Post
    Fi's alright, her percentages gimmick is kind of lame but at least she has a personality unlike Navi.

But we can all agree Midna is the best, yes?
    Agreed. Even the King of Red Lions.

Yes, there are many times that Fi pops up without invitation. And God forbid if your batteries are low. She's blare a harsh ringing sound through the Wiimote every time you enter a new area until you respond so she can tell you that you have low batteries. Even though there's already an on-screen prompt for it and my batteries have at least another 3 hours of life left.
    Gosh, she sounds terribly annoying.
    I claim Larvitar!

Quote Originally Posted by Tyranitarquake View Post
    Gosh, she sounds terribly annoying.
    She's not annoying, it's people's impatience.

Now about you guys who want full voice acting in your Zelda games...

That's a dumb counter-argument. There's no way for the player to know whether Fi will feed them redundant information or not until they've already read it.
    They know it by reading the first and/or second textboxes, in said case, button-mash that A button.

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    She's not annoying, it's people's impatience.

Now about you guys who want full voice acting in your Zelda games...
    It's not so much impatience as it is wanting a Zelda game to not treat me like I'm an idiot. And no one say "they're targeting a younger audience!" because they did that with Wind Waker while still providing a fun, challenging, "I need to tell you this because you're a moron who doesn't pay attention and can't figure out simple puzzles"-free experience.

And no, I don't think I'd like full voice acting in Zelda.

Page 185 of 268 FirstFirst ... 85135175181182183184185186187188189195235 ... LastLast