177 25.58%
  • Wind Waker

172 24.86%
  • Ocarina of Time

289 41.76%
  • Others

220 31.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 197 of 268 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247 ... LastLast
Results 4,901 to 4,925 of 6695

Thread: Zelda games discussion

I confess to only recently getting into Zelda. I bought Skyward Sword, loved it, bought Ocarina of Time 3DS, haven't finished it and downloaded Link's Awakening too.
    My favourite has to be Skyward Sword. No offense to OoT fans, it's still good, but after finishing SS I sat back and said "Wow, that was a good game!" Ocarina just doesn't quite measure up IMO.
    Also, Link's Awakening is so damn confusing! I have no clue what I'm doing. Ah well, I'll find my way.
    The reason I haven't finished Ocarina is cos I just got to the Water Temple. I haven't started it, but I've heard its infamous reputation and I'm kinda afraid to boot my 3DS back up. Thank God for my HeartGold Nuzlocke keeping me occupied!
    So yeah, that's me, a complete Zelda noob. I really do like the series though.
    "I swear Bianca if you crit me I'll push you down the stairs." - The wise words of BlameTruth on Rival battles

Opponent sent out Ninetales!
    Me: I know! Fight fire with fire!
    Arcanine used Flare Blitz!
    Ninetales's Flash Fire made it useless....
    Me: 0.0
    -.-
    Stupid saying.........

Planned White 2 Team:
    Biggles Magneto Sally
    Soprana Padfoot Gatling

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal Llama View Post
    I confess to only recently getting into Zelda. I bought Skyward Sword, loved it, bought Ocarina of Time 3DS, haven't finished it and downloaded Link's Awakening too.
    My favourite has to be Skyward Sword. No offense to OoT fans, it's still good, but after finishing SS I sat back and said "Wow, that was a good game!" Ocarina just doesn't quite measure up IMO.
    Also, Link's Awakening is so damn confusing! I have no clue what I'm doing. Ah well, I'll find my way.
    The reason I haven't finished Ocarina is cos I just got to the Water Temple. I haven't started it, but I've heard its infamous reputation and I'm kinda afraid to boot my 3DS back up. Thank God for my HeartGold Nuzlocke keeping me occupied!
    So yeah, that's me, a complete Zelda noob. I really do like the series though.
    aww you should seriously continue the water temple, its not so bad after a while and you have to play through the other temples too.
    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Exeggudork View Post
    aww you should seriously continue the water temple, its not so bad after a while and you have to play through the other temples too.
    Exactly what I was going to say. Just make sure you visit every single room in the temple and you should be able to find your way around. General piece of advice: work your way up from the bottom and repeat.
    Once you figure out what to do you'll find that the Water Temple is among the best in the series - even better than the ones in Skyward Sword.
    But yeah, complete Ocarina and then perhaps you'll see why so many people prefer it to SS.

The reason I haven't finished Ocarina is cos I just got to the Water Temple. I haven't started it, but I've heard its infamous reputation and I'm kinda afraid to boot my 3DS back up.
    You're playing it on the 3DS?

No excuses for not finishing. They've softened the hardest edges of the temple completely. Get in there.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Once you figure out what to do you'll find that the Water Temple is among the best in the series
    Can't agree with this at all, I've beaten Ocarina a good 5-7 times now and I hate the Water Temple just as much as I did when I first played it even though I find it much easier now. I may be presuming too much, but I'm sure this is how a lot of other Zelda fans feel. If you want a fairly difficult dungeon that also happens to be fun, the generic answer is Stone Tower Temple.

Quote Originally Posted by Ampy View Post
    Can't agree with this at all, I've beaten Ocarina a good 5-7 times now and I hate the Water Temple just as much as I did when I first played it even though I find it much easier now. I may be presuming too much, but I'm sure this is how a lot of other Zelda fans feel. If you want a fairly difficult dungeon that also happens to be fun, the generic answer is Stone Tower Temple.
    Well, each to their own but I found that once I defeated it the first time I overlooked its initial difficulty and started to appreciate it for things like its architecture and atmosphere, which I think is one of the best in the game. In addition I think the music is the best dungeon music in the entire series and it works both as an accompaniment to the gameplay and as a standalone piece of music. There are some obvious design flaws (the iron boots issue and the hideous serpent-shaped room come to mind) but personally it's my favourite in the series.
    Last edited by Poetry; 15th September 2012 at 5:55 PM.

I'm not bothered by the Water Temple a whole lot either. It's really just a pain because of the Iron Boots, I enjoy it otherwise.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    You're playing it on the 3DS?

No excuses for not finishing. They've softened the hardest edges of the temple completely. Get in there.
    yea the 3ds version is a whole lot easier, especially since they made the water boots an actual item.
    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

Well, each to their own but I found that once I defeated it the first time I overlooked its initial difficulty and started to appreciate it for things like its architecture and atmosphere, which I think is one of the best in the game. In addition I think the music is the best dungeon music in the entire series and it works both as an accompaniment to the gameplay and as a standalone piece of music. There are some obvious design flaws (the iron boots issue and the hideous serpent-shaped room come to mind) but personally it's my favourite in the series.
    Fair enough, guess I still hold a grudge against it for giving me so much trouble when I was younger. :P

Well I finished Ocarina. Water Temple was actually quite easy in the end, one of the easiest in the game to me. I found the previous temple (Fire?) harder actually. Maybe cos it is as you guys said, they made it easier in the remake. Either way I got through it. I loved the ending, the fight with Ganon was tough enough (I didn't get the Goron's sword). I really should have stocked up on fairies beforehand....
    I really enjoyed Ocarina, but I still prefer Skyward Sword. I preferred motion controls to the buttons (only cos they did it near perfectly), I preferred Ghirahim to Ganondorf (though Demise was so clichéd and unnecessary it hurt), I MUCH prefer Skyward Zelda to Ocarina Zelda (the stupid woman would not give me the damn Master Sword when I was fighting Ganon even though IT WAS RIGHT BESIDE HER), I preferred Skyward's art style and music and I actually saw Link as a human in Skyward, not just some automaton who did what everyone told him like in Ocarina. He had just met Zelda and was running in rings for her! In SS I saw a motive for his heroics and I believed it.
    All that is no slight on Ocarina, though. I'd still place it around 5 on my top games ever. I just prefer SS. Ocarina is very well designed and has aged well too, but I don't think it's good enough to compete with a similarly high standard new (ish) Zelda game.
    Just my two cents. I'm sure some of you have some good counter arguments and I'd be happy to hear them.

EDIT: I've heard of a Zelda game in the works. I kinda hope it's a MM remake cos I don't have an N64 and I want to try it, I've heard a lot of good things about it.
    Last edited by Lethal Llama; 16th September 2012 at 7:12 PM.
    "I swear Bianca if you crit me I'll push you down the stairs." - The wise words of BlameTruth on Rival battles

-.-
    Stupid saying.........

Planned White 2 Team:
    Biggles Magneto Sally
    Soprana Padfoot Gatling

I MUCH prefer Skyward Zelda to Ocarina Zelda (the stupid woman would not give me the damn Master Sword when I was fighting Ganon even though IT WAS RIGHT BESIDE HER)
    She was separated from you by a ring of evil fire for the majority of the time you were without the Master Sword. And once that was gone, what's the need for her to bring you the sword?

I've heard of a Zelda game in the works.
    It's common knowledge. Those responsible for developing the game have said as much.

I kinda hope it's a MM remake cos I don't have an N64 and I want to try it, I've heard a lot of good things about it.
    It's not. Not yet, at least.

If you have a Wii, you have everything you need to play Majora's Mask with a minimum of searching.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 16th September 2012 at 9:01 PM.

-----
    Words to|live by

Well I finished Ocarina. Water Temple was actually quite easy in the end, one of the easiest in the game to me. I found the previous temple (Fire?) harder actually..
    Never mind the difficulty of that thing, the Fire Temple is one of the most hideous dungeons in the entire series. It's only redeeming factor is the awesome music with the chanting but then Nintendo replaced it with a much blander version to make trawling through the thing even more laborious then it usually would be.

Ocarina is very well designed and has aged well too, but I don't think it's good enough to compete with a similarly high standard new (ish) Zelda game.
    The trouble with Skyward Sword is that it's premise was to defy and re-invent the conventions of the series, which it did for the most part, but from the Ancient Cistern onwards, it fell back onto old patterns and just felt like another Zelda game compared to the fantastic shiny newness which is usually associated with the first half of the game. Ocarina did what it promised to do and it delivered exceptionally well, and that's why it's considered the greatest Zelda of all time and why Skyward Sword has been shunned aside from the podium in favour of it. Which is a little unfair, I admit because although Ocarina is still the greatest, Skyward Sword might have just taken my spot as my personal favourite, despite its flaws.

The Fire Temple is supposed to be hideous. It's built inside of an active volcano and it's meant to hold not only a bloodthirsty lava dragon, but also clearly prisoners of some sort for some reason. There's not a ton of "pretty" to be found in that.

-----
    Words to|live by

I didn't just mean aesthetically or by location, I just meant generally in terms of how it compares to the other dungeons in the game concerning layout, puzzles and general gameplay. Along with Jabu-Jabu's Belly it's my least favourite dungeon in Ocarina.
    Anyway, if I did mean 'hideous' in that context, don't you think I'd be spewing out hate for something like the Shadow Temple, a decidedly more unpleasant location than the Fire Temple?

I didn't just mean aesthetically or by location, I just meant generally in terms of how it compares to the other dungeons in the game concerning layout, puzzles and general gameplay. Along with Jabu-Jabu's Belly it's my least favourite dungeon in Ocarina.
    Anyway, if I did mean 'hideous' in that context, don't you think I'd be spewing out hate for something like the Shadow Temple, a decidedly more unpleasant location than the Fire Temple?
    Or the Bottom of the Well...
    *shivers*
    I'm currently doing the Hero Run of SS. After not playing it for so long I was out of sword practice and Ghirahim in Skyview kicked my green booty all over the room. What a lovely reintroduction, to have my *** handed to me by the most effeminate man I have ever seen this side of anime.

-.-
    Stupid saying.........

Planned White 2 Team:
    Biggles Magneto Sally
    Soprana Padfoot Gatling

I've gotten pretty far doing my Hero Mode run of SS. I just need to gather the parts of the Song of the Hero and get the TriForce. And of course the Skyloft Silent Realm in between. Ugh! By the way, I wanted to hear from your opinions guys: do you like the Silent Realm trials or do you just loathe them? I personally don't like them. They cause to much anxiety for me especially once the guardians wake up and I'm running for my life!
    3DS FC: 2277-6721-8461 Name: Sam
    Pokemon Y Team: Frogadier
    Pokemon X Team:
    White 2 Team: FC: 0219-2021-5352 Name: Sam
    Black Team: FC: 0390-0424-5188 Name: BahamtX

The trouble with Skyward Sword is that it's premise was to defy and re-invent the conventions of the series, which it did for the most part, but from the Ancient Cistern onwards, it fell back onto old patterns and just felt like another Zelda game compared to the fantastic shiny newness which is usually associated with the first half of the game. Ocarina did what it promised to do and it delivered exceptionally well, and that's why it's considered the greatest Zelda of all time and why Skyward Sword has been shunned aside from the podium in favour of it. Which is a little unfair, I admit because although Ocarina is still the greatest, Skyward Sword might have just taken my spot as my personal favourite, despite its flaws.
    The Sandship is one of the most innovative and unique dungeons in Zelda history (as is the whole Sand Sea section). It's bloody amazing. Even the Fire Sanctuary is a great dungeon. I just love the idea that you're in the dungeon at the same time as a load of NPC's who are just looking to get minted. The only thing that would have added to it would have been a bit of co-op ala Goron Temple in Phantom Hourglass.

I'm currently nearing the end of both Skyward Sword Hero Mode and OoT 3D. TBH it's so long since I played OoT I'd almost forgotten the ins and outs of it, so I've approached it with an open mind. While it is undoubtedly a great game (and perhaps I'd enjoy master quest even more) I must say that I am of the opinion that Skyward Sword is a far superior game. The length, the structure of the temples (smaller, fewer keys), the exertion it takes simply to get to a temple, SS is just amazing. Even Skyloft was just far superior to Market/Kakriko (and I like those places). My gripes with SS are so minor they are almost irrelevant.

Tokyo Game Show this week no? Maybe some Zelda 3DS news.

Yeah I agree SS is bloody awesome, hell I liked twighlight princess more than OOT or Wind Waker

Quote Originally Posted by arceus7 View Post
    Yeah I agree SS is bloody awesome, hell I liked twighlight princess more than OOT or Wind Waker
    You're not alone. Get ready for the flames...
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    You're not alone. Get ready for the flames...
    I think that the majority of us here can understand that Zelda is a wide and varied series and the different people will have different opinions on which is 'the best'.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by EeveeSoulSilver View Post
    I've gotten pretty far doing my Hero Mode run of SS. I just need to gather the parts of the Song of the Hero and get the TriForce. And of course the Skyloft Silent Realm in between. Ugh! By the way, I wanted to hear from your opinions guys: do you like the Silent Realm trials or do you just loathe them? I personally don't like them. They cause to much anxiety for me especially once the guardians wake up and I'm running for my life!
    I always liked the Silent Realms. The tension was perfect for the situation and if you kept your cool you always get by the guardians. I also found the atmosphere and appearance beautiful.

-.-
    Stupid saying.........

Planned White 2 Team:
    Biggles Magneto Sally
    Soprana Padfoot Gatling

Quote Originally Posted by Snorunt conservationist View Post
    The Sandship is one of the most innovative and unique dungeons in Zelda history (as is the whole Sand Sea section). It's bloody amazing. Even the Fire Sanctuary is a great dungeon. I just love the idea that you're in the dungeon at the same time as a load of NPC's who are just looking to get minted. The only thing that would have added to it would have been a bit of co-op ala Goron Temple in Phantom Hourglass.
    Hmm... I understand your reasoning concerning the Sandship and the Sand Sea section, but when I think of innovative and unique in Skyward Sword, I think of Lanayru Mining Facility. The Sandship was good, but I just feel that it wasn't executed as well as it could have been. It was fun at parts, especially when you get the Bow, but it failed to maintain my interest while I was playing through it for the most part. Also the boss was slightly disappointing in that it was just another standard "shoot it in the eye" affair.
    Skyward Sword aside, I think one of the most innovative dungeons in the series as a whole is the OoT Forest Temple. That dungeon ticked all the boxes for me - it had brilliant music and atmosphere, it wasn't too easy or too challenging, it had one of the best bosses in the game, and most importantly, it had a wide variety of puzzles which gave the impression that Nintendo were never using the same trick twice. Compare something like that to the Sandship and you've got quite a large gap between them, in my opinion.

And as for the Fire Sanctuary... sorry, but it just felt like the game was really scraping the barrel for ideas and was running out of steam by that point. A good dungeon by the standards set by the series as a whole, but as a Skyward Sword dungeon.... just didn't cut the mustard for me.

Best Bosses ? Really , mind explaining that one? The music sounded like insanity crawling up your skin into your ears to me.

You mean the Forest Temple boss, Phantom Ganon? That boss had exactly the same music as every other boss in the game...

Skyward Sword aside, I think one of the most innovative dungeons in the series as a whole is the OoT Forest Temple. That dungeon ticked all the boxes for me - it had brilliant music and atmosphere, it wasn't too easy or too challenging, it had one of the best bosses in the game, and most importantly, it had a wide variety of puzzles which gave the impression that Nintendo were never using the same trick twice. Compare something like that to the Sandship and you've got quite a large gap between them, in my opinion.
    You're right, the Forest Temple is the most innovative dungeon in Zelda history!

The first dungeon to take place in the Lost Woods, right? Oh, Skull Woods? Nevermind. How about the first dungeon with an alternate form of Ganondorf as the boss? And returning his shots back at him? Genius. What, Aghanim? Oops. What about fighting an almost identical miniboss in 4 different rooms? Link's Awakening does it too.

I don't know how I though sailing through desert in a tiny boat using a stone to change the time of a small radius of the area to a lush ocean all the while chasing after an incredibly techinically advanced ship hijacked by robot pirates was more innovative and unique than a dungeon in the forest.

Page 197 of 268 FirstFirst ... 97147187193194195196197198199200201207247 ... LastLast