175 25.51%
  • Wind Waker

172 25.07%
  • Ocarina of Time

289 42.13%
  • Others

216 31.49%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 233 of 267 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237243 ... LastLast
Results 5,801 to 5,825 of 6661

Thread: Zelda games discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    A game with Zelda as the protagonist?

Hmm..... I'm sitting on the fence for now. It doesn't sound like a terrible idea but then again it doesn't sound like a particularly good one either.
    Honestly, I think that game would be pretty damn awesome! I love using Zelda in Super Smash Bros. If she did get a playable part or her own game, I would definitely get it. She is my favorite Nintendo Princess. And she rocks! I mean Peach has her own game why not Zelda!
    Latest Shiny!

Found: Route 12
    Method: Chain Fishing
    Date of Catch: 2/14/14
    Currently Hunting: Eevee, Ekans, Skourpi
    Total Shinies: 10

3DS FC: 5429-6844-5288
    Ice FS: Bergmite, Spheal and Lapras

Quote Originally Posted by Will5iam View Post
    And she rocks! I mean Peach has her own game why not Zelda!
    Because Peach's game was terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by jonman721 View Post
    It serms redundant as well, what's the point of having link be a girl, just for the sake of it? Also link and zelda switching roles kinda devalues both established characters.
    How exactly does it devalue them?

Nothing wrong with Zelda being the hero(ine) for once. We've seen several incarnations being pretty badass before. She at least deserves the spotlight.

Better than either being the damsel in distress, barely having a role, or being the love interest like in most Zelda games.

At least "The Legend of Zelda" would make perfect sense for once.

Quote Originally Posted by lolipiece View Post

Nothing wrong with Zelda being the hero(ine) for once. We've seen several incarnations being pretty badass before. She at least deserves the spotlight.

Better than either being the damsel in distress, barely having a role, or being the love interest like in most Zelda games.

Except it doesn't fit with the lore, why would the hero's spirit be reborn as a prince who needs saving? and why would hylia be reborn as the hero's role?

And zelda as a damsel in distress is wrong, she was only that for a handful of the games, in OoT she certainly didn't need saving until the very end, in TP she was a very large political leader who was just waiting out, in WW, ST, and maybe PH she helps you out on your quest, hell in SS she's 2 steps ahead of you during half the game, stop putting her as a damsel in distress people, it's wrong, and it shows you haven't done much research.
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL ~ Kid Icarus club ~ Attack on Titan club ~ Xat New Leaf dream code: 4800 2561 7674

It is pulling them out of a role they have filled for over 20 years. It would be like . . . if the band Slayer all of a sudden decided they were now a country band or something. I mean some things should just be left unchanged is what I think this comes down to. It isnt even entirely about if they game would be fun or not. A game like that I feel like would just be a 180. Not to mention it would probably be pretty against anything that is already cannon. I mean of course anything can be made cannon but how could they fit in something like this well without it feeling forced or out of place. Sure it is fine for things to change but some things like the roles of Link and Zelda are better left as they are. . . you know to not risk making a mess of it as well as risk removing the sentimental value the core of the series (Yeah can not think of a better word then sentimental Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż ) Also to say that Zelda is left with barely a role would be a exaggeration I think . . . I mean how can you say she had a small role in Ocarina in Wind Waker in Twilight Princess. I mean yeah sure she isnt as present as Link but that is because you are playing as Link. How is it possible for her to have as big of a role as the character you play as.
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Except it doesn't fit with the lore, why would the hero's spirit be reborn as a prince who needs saving? and why would hylia be reborn as the hero's role?
    How should I know? I'm not the one making the game. The guys at Nintendo can come up with a reason. Maybe some magical mixup. Maybe Hylia wanted to be the hero for once.

I never even said whatever Link is going to be has to be saved.

And zelda as a damsel in distress is wrong, she was only that for a handful of the games, in OoT she certainly didn't need saving until the very end, in TP she was a very large political leader who was just waiting out, in WW, ST, and maybe PH she helps you out on your quest, hell in SS she's 2 steps ahead of you during half the game, stop putting her as a damsel in distress people, it's wrong, and it shows you haven't done much research.
    No, you're wrong.

The basic definition of a damsel in distress is.:

Usually a beautiful young woman placed in a dire predicament by a villain or monster and who requires a hero to achieve her rescue.
    All that matters is that she's kidnapped and needs to be saved by the hero. She can be the strongest person in all of Hyrule (and she probably is), but it all boils down to the kidnapping and rescuing.

Not every Zelda game has it, but it happens a whole lot. Mario may get by with having Peach captured most of the time, but Zelda has mixed it up by either not having her kidnapped or not having her appear in an important role at all.

Also, she was kidnapped in WW (after you fix the Master Sword), PH (at the beginning of the game), and ST (she may be a spirit, but her body is still stolen.)

How should I know? I'm not the one making the game. The guys at Nintendo can come up with a reason. Maybe some magical mixup. Maybe Hylia wanted to be the hero for once.

No, you're wrong.

All that matters is that she's kidnapped and needs to be saved by the hero. She can be the strongest person in all of Hyrule (and she probably is), but it all boils down to the kidnapping and rescuing.

Not every Zelda game has it, but it happens a whole lot. Mario may get by with having Peach captured most of the time, but Zelda has mixed it up by either not having her kidnapped or not having her appear in an important role at all.

Also, she was kidnapped in WW (after you fix the Master Sword), PH (at the beginning of the game), and ST (she may be a spirit, but her body is still stolen.)
    Demise's spell was that they would reincarnate in the same situation, they would have to retcon a game designed to put the games together.

By that definition, every person who has any problem that needs to be solved by a outside party is a damsel in distress, and what's so bad about it being a damsel in distress, it's not like it's hurting anybody.

And to actually make this argument on topic, the only games I can think of, where zelda needed saving was LoZ, LttP, hmmm...maybe MC, I havent played that one.
    3DS FC:4253-3982-7075 ~ MAL ~ Kid Icarus club ~ Attack on Titan club ~ Xat New Leaf dream code: 4800 2561 7674

Well if you have played more then one of the more popular games in the series you must have SOME understanding of what is cannon . . . and that this is something that would be very difficult to fit into the cannon that has been made over 20 years . . .

No, you're wrong.

But for the majority of WW Zelda/Tetra was more then capable of holding her own. Your basically using one small plot element to justify your point
    Last edited by Touché Amoré; 21st June 2013 at 5:08 AM.
        Spoiler:- Credits:

Zelda could easily have a co-op system and have it so that you switch between Zelda (or Sheik) and Link in game for solving puzzles, and maybe certain combat sections.

I would have no problem making Link a girl for one game, especially due to the fact that Link is several characters, and due to that having one female Link would make no difference.

Or better yet, just have a 'play as a girl' option, then make male Link canon. No trouble caused.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Dragon View Post
    Zelda could easily have a co-op system and have it so that you switch between Zelda (or Sheik) and Link in game for solving puzzles, and maybe certain combat sections.

I would have no problem making Link a girl for one game, especially due to the fact that Link is several characters, and due to that having one female Link would make no difference.

Or better yet, just have a 'play as a girl' option, then make male Link canon. No trouble caused.
    the problem i see with a multiplayer zelda is that if a puzzle requires more than one player then it would be impossible on your own. they would need to make it so you could complete the puzzles both on your own and with others.
    The Doctor: 'People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually*
    from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff.'
    In other words: Time is Complicated.
    Credit to epicjirachifan, Chapter of Charizard FairyWitch and Astaral Shadow of the Under

It did, Four Swords did a great job at it with the anniversary release making it suitable for single player. I honestly can't think of a way a Zelda game could have a good multiplayer mode outside of Four Swords' collective linear style due to the charm of the Zelda series is discovering the dungeon as you go along.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

The only thing here is that there's not really a need to have a female Link. Nintendo only really change things where change is needed in gameplay, and never before has anyone said "It's a shame Link isn't a female because then he'd be able to do this, and this, and this..." You say that having one female Link would make no difference. So why change it?

I think a more pressing issue would be to perfect the way Zelda herself is presented in the games rather than thrusting her into the spotlight. I loved Tetra in TWW, right up until the point when she discovered she was actually Zelda and then gained the personality of a toaster and "spent the rest of the game locked in a cupboard".
    Last edited by Poetry; 22nd June 2013 at 10:17 AM.

The only thing here is that there's not really a need to have a female Link. Nintendo only really change things where change is needed in gameplay, and never before has anyone said "It's a shame Link isn't a female because then he'd be able to do this, and this, and this..." You say that having one female Link would make no difference. So why change it?
    This. Gameplay always comes before story in Zelda(and most Nintendo games really). That said, Zelda will have to play differently from Link to replace him as the protagonist for a game. I'm sure that most Zeldas have had an affinity for Magic, so maybe her combat could focus around a more expansive use of Magic spells, while still keeping several old Zelda items like the Hookshot or Bombs. That come open up more new gameplay opportunities than a female Link who happens to actually be Zelda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

When I say that Co-Op would work, I would mean that in single player it would revolve around switching between two characters being controlled by one player, then in multiplayer, this isn't needed as each player controls one player.

I think a more pressing issue would be to perfect the way Zelda herself is presented in the games rather than thrusting her into the spotlight. I loved Tetra in TWW, right up until the point when she discovered she was actually Zelda and then gained the personality of a toaster and "spent the rest of the game locked in a cupboard".
    Agreed. I'd much prefer a more interesting and independent Zelda as a character rather than shoe-horning her into the player role (a move which would more than likely end up as a cheap gimmick). Tetra (up until she actually became Zelda, as you said), SS Zelda and ST Zelda were a step in the right direction. I much prefer a more dynamic and interesting character than the boring damsel in distress archetype that we usually get.

Link has little personality anyway and is more of a blank slate character, so I don't see what the point replacing one avatar with another just for the sake of it.

Also, lolipiece is right. Zelda does fit the damsel in distress trope in almost every game. Regardless of what she did for most of the game (which... is usually getting kidnapped), she nearly always ends up helpless and in need of saving. It gets tiring after a while.
    Last edited by Valoo.; 23rd June 2013 at 8:21 PM.

I wouldn't mind seeing Zelda in her own game, but it'd be difficult to get it to work. I think it would work best if it wasn't a part of the main series, more like a side-story or perhaps a prologue to the series itself!
    Current Shiny Hunt:

Abra - 14 Boxes

Next Hunt:

Aron
    Ludicolo

Quote Originally Posted by Cmack102 View Post
    I wouldn't mind seeing Zelda in her own game, but it'd be difficult to get it to work. I think it would work best if it wasn't a part of the main series, more like a side-story or perhaps a prologue to the series itself!
    I don't see how it could be a prologue to the series since it starts with Skyward Sword and the Zelda there didn't do much until the start of the game besides being a student of the Knight Academy.

Legend of Zelda: Gaiden? Structuring would be a pain to pull off but think about the possibility of playing as Zelda while travelling between the various Temples during the earlygame of Skyward Sword? And of course I'm sure everyone has heard the idea of playing as Sheik during the 7 year timeskip in Oot.
    Last edited by Aurath8; 28th June 2013 at 5:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Hmm playing as zelda...I just don't know. She's clearly not the stoic royalty getting abducted every game like peach, but she's not exactly a robust female character that can hold her own for a games entirety. I mean there are qualities in her various incarnations that can be more dominant then others much like tetra's personality but still it would go against the series' base character tropes. Link is courage which is why he goes on these adventures and zelda is wisdom which denotes an air of royalty and aristocracy. The maiden and the knight basically. As I said you can give the maiden some spunk, sure but reversing the roles goes a bit too far.

Quote Originally Posted by mitchman_93 View Post
    Hmm playing as zelda...I just don't know. She's clearly not the stoic royalty getting abducted every game like peach, but she's not exactly a robust female character that can hold her own for a games entirety. I mean there are qualities in her various incarnations that can be more dominant then others much like tetra's personality but still it would go against the series' base character tropes. Link is courage which is why he goes on these adventures and zelda is wisdom which denotes an air of royalty and aristocracy. The maiden and the knight basically. As I said you can give the maiden some spunk, sure but reversing the roles goes a bit too far.
    Who said the roles had to be reversed?

Maybe they can set it in a part of the timeline where there is no incarnation of Link to defend Hyrule.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

hums Dark World theme

Where aren't people talking about damsels in distress?
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Quote Originally Posted by ParaChomp View Post
    hums Dark World theme

Where aren't people talking about damsels in distress?
    Nowhere on the internet, it's common knowledge 90% of the internet is bat**** insane.

Speaking of LBW, I gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night that the game will make up for the same overworld with a different dark world.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Who said the roles had to be reversed?

Maybe they can set it in a part of the timeline where there is no incarnation of Link to defend Hyrule.
    Somehow I just can't believe that would ever happen. Especially after SS, which without spoiling it for others gives Zelda's existance and incarnations a whole new meaning.If a link where never to exist then that basically means that the powers that be would be saving the world not a chosen hero. Which would imply a hole in the plans somewhere. LoZ is surprisingly air tight in the what character does what area, and to shift things around would go against the in-game universe's guidelines that the gods themselves set up.
    Nowhere on the internet, it's common knowledge 90% of the internet is bat**** insane.

Speaking of LBW, I gotta feeling that tonight's gonna be a good night that the game will make up for the same overworld with a different dark world.
    I'm actually gonna go one further and say that the dark world is going to be the light world of lttp.
    BLAH

Quote Originally Posted by mitchman_93 View Post
    I'm actually gonna go one further and say that the dark world is going to be the light world of lttp.
    Mind=Blown
    Attached Images Attached Images

As long as we get more Dark World theme it's all good.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    As long as we get more Dark World theme it's all good.
    Fun fact:
    The wall painting mechanic ties into the OW/Dungeons transition between the two worlds according to Aonuma. Whatever the hell that means. Maybe the dark world seeped into the light world, working much like the twilight of TP and to access it? Dungeons existing in both worlds? So much can be done with the wall painting if its tied into the world duality that its not funny. I would love it if you can turn into a drawing turn a corner and bam! The dead end opens up into another part of a dungeon but its in the dark world.

Page 233 of 267 FirstFirst ... 133183223229230231232233234235236237243 ... LastLast