182 25.93%
  • Wind Waker

173 24.64%
  • Ocarina of Time

292 41.60%
  • Others

223 31.77%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 235 of 275 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239245 ... LastLast
Results 5,851 to 5,875 of 6865

Thread: Zelda games discussion

Quote Originally Posted by HEB View Post
    I don't understand why Skyward Sword is so hated, it's better than Twilight Princess.
    Skyward Sword was a lot more innovative than Twilight Princess, but by that same token, innovation is a risk. Many people didn't like Skyward Sword because it tried to be a bit more... atypical than other Zelda games.

...Though personally I'd say it could've done with fewer Imprisoned fights. Especially since the 2nd and 3rd ones happen so quickly after one another.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod and one of the writers for the PotW.

I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by HEB View Post
    I don't understand why Skyward Sword is so hated, it's better than Twilight Princess.
    Because motion control.

Skyward Sword is a great game with terrible controls.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

"Terrible" is overstating it by a significant margin. Let's not be overly hyperbolic.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Nah. Even if they were perfect, they'd still be bad simply because you have to move.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    "Terrible" is overstating it by a significant margin. Let's not be overly hyperbolic.
    Fine, fine. Let's just call them annoying, then.

| Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

Quote Originally Posted by Jb View Post
    Nah. Even if they were perfect, they'd still be bad simply because you have to move.
    Listen to this man, you couch potatoes!

Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    No, "preference" is a better word!

Time will tell if the motion controls shall continue to be used in future home console titles.
        Spoiler:- 3DS friend-code:

Annoying to learn, not to use, I found.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

I'm actually going to have to agree with Hydrohs' original wording. In my opinion, key word is opinion, Skyward Sword was absolutely ruined by its controls. After many hours of play, having just made it inside of the first temple, I gave up on the game due to just how much the controls frustrated me. It took a minimum of 20 seconds every time I tried to do that attack that required you to hold the Wiimote over your head, and diagonal slashes registered as horizontal more often than they did as diagonal.

Maybe it's just something to do with my coordination, or due to the fact that Skyward Sword was the first time I'd touched my Wii in over a year, but for me, Skyward Sword's controls made the game all but unplayable. I can't say anything about its dungeon design, boss battles, or story, since I never experienced them fully, but I'm sure they were all very well done. A well rounded, atmospheric game that's an absolute pain to control, however, is not that I can push through.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Annoying to learn, not to use, I found.
    I found the opposite. I had no trouble learning what to do, but actually doing it was the annoying part.

It largely comes down to whether a person enjoys motion controls or not. I personally don't. I don't play video games to move around, there are plenty of other things I could do to accomplish that, I play them to relax. Pressing buttons is easy and more precise.

Quote Originally Posted by KillerDraco View Post
    Skyward Sword was a lot more innovative than Twilight Princess, but by that same token, innovation is a risk. Many people didn't like Skyward Sword because it tried to be a bit more... atypical than other Zelda games.

...Though personally I'd say it could've done with fewer Imprisoned fights. Especially since the 2nd and 3rd ones happen so quickly after one another.
    I think the small time frame between the second and third fights was to show that the seal on it was weakening.

Quote Originally Posted by Rayze Darr View Post
    I'm actually going to have to agree with Hydrohs' original wording. In my opinion, key word is opinion, Skyward Sword was absolutely ruined by its controls. After many hours of play, having just made it inside of the first temple, I gave up on the game due to just how much the controls frustrated me. It took a minimum of 20 seconds every time I tried to do that attack that required you to hold the Wiimote over your head, and diagonal slashes registered as horizontal more often than they did as diagonal.
    I think you should've been more patient. Never mind that they're motion controls, its a new control scheme period. I don't think anyone has waltzed into a new game and managed to play it perfectly, unless it was similar to a past game like Mario Galaxy 2. With Ocarina of Time and Minish Cap I didn't get the hang of things until just after the first dungeon.
    For the record I got the hang of SS somewhere in the Deep Woods actually, but that's only because it takes a longer time to get to the first dungeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

I found the opposite. I had no trouble learning what to do, but actually doing it was the annoying part.

It largely comes down to whether a person enjoys motion controls or not. I personally don't. I don't play video games to move around, there are plenty of other things I could do to accomplish that, I play them to relax. Pressing buttons is easy and more precise.
    Hmm... I wouldn't say I particularly enjoy motion controls - I'm pretty indifferent to both methods of control, as long as they're responsive and follow my commands accurately (which they both do, from past experience).

I'm struggling slightly with your reasoning, however... I also very much play games to relax, but I don't think that means that games like Skyward Sword have to be seen as a chore just because it requires a little bit of physical activity. I very much found myself wanting to play it because, like any other game, it was nice to immerse myself in the world and the story and the characters and escape from reality for a while - the control scheme was just negligible to me as I found them to be as responsive and accurate as button controls (bar one or two errors, but that's a given).

I think it should be noted that really the only portions of the game when I found myself really exerting myself physically was when I had to slash my sword quickly during bosses because of time constraints or when there were a lot of enemies. This only really applied to moments in the heat of battle and the majority of other sections which involved motion controls like riding your Loftwing, controlling the Beetle, swimming, etc were just as relaxing and as easy as if I were controlling it with buttons. I think even then in the more physical moments, I rarely felt tired and still the controls for me never hindered or affected my experience of the game in any way at all - and that's not just because they functioned well for me.
    Last edited by Poetry; 8th July 2013 at 3:47 PM.
    [CYTUS]
    ICE - L
    eyemedia - Bloody Purity
    xi - FREEDOM DiVE↓

Eh I had fun with motion controls. Went with the flow due to my favorite series having them, but nothing else. Something told me in the end that Nintendo's poor handling of motion+ plus an overall indifference will never allow the controls to be an industry standard, so I took it as a one off told myself to enjoy the game for what it is and that's it. Payed off beautifully, and my experience and enjoyment of the game has not and will not be hampered.
    Having said that, yes SS is an excellent game for me. Bought it when it came out, and with no regrets. In fact despite my above stamement of considering the controls as a one off, I do lament the fact that we might never get another motion control Zelda. But that is due to Nintendo's decision to not follow through with motion controls, so its a bit out of my hands.
    Last edited by mitchman_93; 8th July 2013 at 3:56 PM.

Were the controls really that bad? I mean, there were certain times that annoyed me (like that time when you had to pull the Master Sword from the ground) and flying the Loftwing was kind of irritating at first, but apart from that the motion controls weren't a problem. Regardless of whether you enjoyed them or not, I think it's a massive overstatement to say that they "made the game all but unplayable".

Do you all have horrible coordination or what? =P

Also, re: the overworld, Skyward Sword had the best overworld (maybe beaten by Wind Waker) in my opinion. I thought it was much more interesting to have the surface almost a dungeon in itself, rather than the mundane, open spaces of OoT (and Twilight Princess, to an extent). I agree with whoever said the sky sucked, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Poetry View Post
    Hmm... I wouldn't say I particularly enjoy motion controls - I'm pretty indifferent to both methods of control, as long as they're responsive and follow my commands accurately (which they both do, from past experience).

I'm struggling slightly with your reasoning, however... I also very much play games to relax, but I don't think that means that games like Skyward Sword have to be seen as a chore just because it requires a little bit of physical activity. I very much found myself wanting to play it because, like any other game, it was nice to immerse myself in the world and the story and the characters and escape from reality for a while - the control scheme was just negligible to me as I found them to be as responsive and accurate as button controls (bar one or two errors, but that's a given).

I think it should be noted that really the only portions of the game when I found myself really exerting myself physically was when I had to slash my sword quickly during bosses because of time constraints or when there were a lot of enemies. This only really applied to moments in the heat of battle and the majority of other sections which involved motion controls like riding your Loftwing, controlling the Beetle, swimming, etc were just as relaxing and as easy as if I were controlling it with buttons. I think even then in the more physical moments, I rarely felt tired and still the controls for me never hindered or affected my experience of the game in any way at all - and that's not just because they functioned well for me.
    It's not that I was exerting myself, it's the I hate having to sit in a particular position in order for the sensor to be picked up or so that I can move a certain way. It never tired me out or anything, it was just annoying not being able to play however I wanted or having to calibrate the controller when it got confused.

Quote Originally Posted by Valoo. View Post
    Were the controls really that bad? I mean, there were certain times that annoyed me (like that time when you had to pull the Master Sword from the ground) and flying the Loftwing was kind of irritating at first, but apart from that the motion controls weren't a problem. Regardless of whether you enjoyed them or not, I think it's a massive overstatement to say that they "made the game all but unplayable".
    The game was far from unplayable, I very much enjoyed the game itself. I just don't at all enjoy having to control it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurath8 View Post
    I think you should've been more patient.
    Well, I believe that putting many hours into a game qualifies as patient. I remembered that the flying controls were some of the worst controls I've ever seen in a video game (and I have literally played over 1,000 video games in my lifetime), and that after a few hours of running around and fighting enemies, that the controls never felt good by any definition. I don't deny that I may have ended up loving the game had I gotten used to the controls, but if it takes more than 8 or so hours just to be able to comfortably play a game, I think anyone is justified at writing it off at that point without being called impatient.
        Spoiler:- My Blog and Friend Codes:
    My Shinies:

I liked the controls in Skyward Sword. Having free control with your sword instead of pressing a button felt so much better to me. There are some people who do prefer the old school gaming of using buttons but there are also people who like the idea of motion controls. To be honest, the first time I played SS, it took me a while to get used to the controls but the more I played it the better I got and now SS is a lot easier. Even the Bokoblins have less chance of blocking my attacks. I don't know why but for some reason when you first play the game, the enemies are hard but the more you play, the easier the enemies get. It's pretty weird. There were several things about SS that I didn't like: fighting the Imprisioned (3 times! Argh!), the Silent Realms (nerve wrecking!), and the fact that it's too long of a story. I like Ocarina of Time better mostly because it's not too long to complete like Twilight Princess is (really long game) or Phantom Hourglass. Even though Wind Waker is still my favorite Zelda game, Ocarina of Time has to be the Zelda game I've played the most becuase it's not too long and it's not as tedious as Wind Waker.
    3DS FC: 2277-6721-8461 Name: Sam
    Pokemon Y Team: Frogadier
    Pokemon X Team:
    White 2 Team: FC: 0219-2021-5352 Name: Sam
    Black Team: FC: 0390-0424-5188 Name: BahamtX

Is Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX worth playing if i haven't played it before?
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/351ipzt.png[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Tf916 View Post
    Is Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX worth playing if i haven't played it before?
    Absolutely. Makes more sense to play the colour version rather than the monochrome version.

Get Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages too! I got both of them off of the e-shop and I love them! I also just finished Link's Awakening for my first time and it's quite unique compared to other Zelda games.
    3DS FC: 2277-6721-8461 Name: Sam
    Pokemon Y Team: Frogadier
    Pokemon X Team:
    White 2 Team: FC: 0219-2021-5352 Name: Sam
    Black Team: FC: 0390-0424-5188 Name: BahamtX

I liked Twilight Princess for the amazing graphics and Midna XD Skyward sword was good, but I stopped playing because I had to give it back to my friend. I made it to...what were those realms called... you had to pick up those green orbs...It was at the volcano place and the place was big so I had a lot of trouble XD flying around was cool too. Ocarina of time was unfinished because my uncle sold the Nintendo64 while I was at school -_______________- I got up to the point where sheik tells you to go to that graveyard.
    Friend Code
    4725-8753-8888

For those that use Club Nintendo (And everyone should) The Elite rewards were posted yesterday. You can choose between a poster set (Wind Waker, Luigi and Pikmin) or the Majora's Mask soundtrack if you're a Platinum member. The Gold rewards are all just VC titles.

Quote Originally Posted by EeveeSoulSilver View Post
    Get Oracle of Seasons and Oracle of Ages too! I got both of them off of the e-shop and I love them! I also just finished Link's Awakening for my first time and it's quite unique compared to other Zelda games.

I will do that also. xD
    [IMG]http://i49.*******.com/351ipzt.png[/IMG]

I also bought Oracle of Ages and Seasons when thy were on sale. Only started Seasons so far and finished the first dungeon. Still need to Link's Awakening DX where I'm only at the fourth dungeon.
    Xbox Gamertag: iDeadlyPanda|3DS FC: 0602-6674-5548 |NNID: ThePandaMan |Twitter

Claimed: Chrom from the Fire Emblem Series and Pokémon X
    Claimed Pokémon:

Spoiler:- Claimed Anime Songs/Anime List:

I got Ages and Seasons a few weeks ago.

Beat Ages first and Linked Seasons.

...I can't beat Twinrova, though.

I want to beat Link's Awakening before I start on Seasons. I'll be linking it with my Ages file that I beat a couple years ago.

Page 235 of 275 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235236237238239245 ... LastLast