186 25.83%
  • Wind Waker

177 24.58%
  • Ocarina of Time

293 40.69%
  • Others

233 32.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 281 of 287 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285 ... LastLast
Results 7,001 to 7,025 of 7173

Thread: Zelda games discussion

MY only real problem with Skyward Sword is that it felt too easy compared to previous entries. The only time I disliked the motion controls was when you fought those Moblins with electric swords so that if you didn't slash the right way, you would get electrocuted. That part sucked, but everything else was just fine.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program and technology. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for an enhanced reading experience, news, reviews, insights into Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, and special features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    MY only real problem with Skyward Sword is that it felt too easy compared to previous entries. The only time I disliked the motion controls was when you fought those Moblins with electric swords so that if you didn't slash the right way, you would get electrocuted. That part sucked, but everything else was just fine.
    The dungeons were easy, but they were creative and the combat felt far more involved. The combat was certainly more difficult then Twilight Princess where you could basically just spam the Back Slice and win.

I always use the Skyward Strike on Technoblins. They can't counter projectile attacks.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 8 Battles
    Anyone who says all pokemon are created equal cearly hasn't had much experience with Unown.

Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    The dungeons were easy, but they were creative and the combat felt far more involved. The combat was certainly more difficult then Twilight Princess where you could basically just spam the Back Slice and win.

I always use the Skyward Strike on Technoblins. They can't counter projectile attacks.
    I certainly agree. Skyward Sword's dungeons were creative and had a nice mix of puzzles. The combat was more challenging as well. Why didn't I think of using the Skyward strike against technoblins. D'oh. I used arrows instead.

Glad to see there isn't a lot of Skyward Sword hate here. You find it everywhere on Youtube. Yep combat in Twilight Princess was pathetically easy. Most enemies was 4 hits and and ending blow. The dungeons were really fun. To this day, the Goron Mines and the Arbiter's Grounds are my favorite dungeons in the series. The only tough enemies were the Dinaflos, Dark Nuts, and the Ice figure enemies. They are easy once you get the ball and chain though.

Skyward Swords Motion Controls were fine with me. The only problem I had was stabbing Ghirahim in the final boss fight. The only part of the game I disliked was the padding of the song of the hero. You guys may not like sidequests, but I love them(if they add to the story, background of Hyrule, are fun, and/or give a good reward). That's why I loved Wind Waker, I think it did the best when it came to exploration in the Zelda Series. There were so many sidequests to do and places to go. I just wished it wasn't rushed because they scrapped two dungeons, and Greatfish Isle was going to be populated, and you would be able to explore Hyrule to go to the Wind and Earth temples in earlier development.

Skyward Sword had a great and interesting story(I teared up when Zelda went to sleep), yes you may have to repeat going to places but there were new things to do there, I liked it because it changed up the formula a bit. The overworld had a more dungeon feel to it, you did not always use the dungeon item on the boss(first boss anyone), upgradeable items were pretty cool, I like how the shield has a damage bar so you can't spam it to block attacks without it costing you.

That's where Twilight Princess failed in my opinion. It had a huge world, but hardly nothing to do in it. Collect a few golden bugs, find rupees and heart pieces, and a few Secret Caverns. Kakariko was mostly barren, after the midway point you never needed to go back to Ordon, Hyrule Castle Town was bustling but you could talk to very few NPCS there. The Hidden Village wild west feel was cool but after beating the Bulbins, it was boring. I just want Zelda to have more than two populated areas with Hylians in them for once. Give me four or more sizable towns with things to do in them or make them important plotwise(its pretty bad you only have two Hylian towns in most Zelda games when the last time you had more was Zelda II). In exception Ocarina of Time had three "towns", Kakariko, Hyrule Castle Town, and the Gerudo Fortress. That was what I liked about Ocarina of Time, every area was populated. Not many barren places in that Overworld. Also I want to see an actual tribe of Shiekah in a Zelda Game instead of only seeing one member that is Impa.
    Last edited by Blastoys; 30th March 2015 at 5:47 AM.

My Advanceshipping AU fic The Legend of May: An Ash to the Past COMPLETE!

People always seem to have very strong opinions on Zelda games. Some love them with everything they've got, and others despise them and see them as a blemish on one of their favorite franchises. I've found TP fanboys to be especially bad about this because they want the games to be gritty(or as they'd say, "realistic"), but all 3D Zelda games get a lot of love and a lot of hate.

Ocarina of Time is praised for being revolutionary; it's criticized for being "overrated" or underwhelming compared to later 3D Zeldas(though to be fair, it's the one that set up the formula for 3D Zeldas).
    Majora's Mask is a cult clasic praised for it's atmosphere and interesting sidequest, but criticized for it's 3-day gimmick and again for being "overrated".
    Wind Waker is praised for it's story and places to explore in the overworld, but criticized for its "kiddy" art style and mostly empty ocean.
    Twilight Princess is praised for being "mature" and having debatably the best sidekick in the franchise(Midna), but is criticized for its bland color pallet, empty overworld, and easy combat.
    Skyward Sword is praised for it's story, characters(namely Zelda and Groose), and motion controls. It is criticized for it's linear surface world, empty sky(which was kind of like an underwhelming version of WW's ocean), and motion controls.

I'm not saying this is what I personally feel about all of them, but this is all stuff I commonly see while discussing these games. I've already seen some TP fanboys complain about Zelda U having "Wind Waker's artstyle"(what?), and while I know this doesn't represent every Twilight Princess fan, it does go to show how strongly people can feel about their favorite games.

I think it's because 3D Zelda games are always the most ambitious. Look at WW's and TP's extreme art styles and compare that to, say, ALBW with it's simple world and art style. Not that I didn't like ALBW, but it just doesn't have the lasting impact and atmosphere 3D Zelda games do.

tl;dr: People hate trying new things.
    Last edited by Zachmac; 30th March 2015 at 6:00 AM.
    Anyone who says all pokemon are created equal cearly hasn't had much experience with Unown.

Wind Waker... ...criticized for its "kiddy" art style
    Only to be deified for that same reason when the series went back to a more "realistic" art style three years later, giving one some idea of just how much stock should be put in any of these complaints.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

I really can't give any major complaints about of the 3D Zelda games, I think they're all amazing. Twilight Princess is definitely my favorite, but possibly because it was the first Zelda game I played. If I had to, I would probably actually say that Ocarina was my least favorite, but that really doesn't mean much as I still loved it.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program and technology. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for an enhanced reading experience, news, reviews, insights into Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, and special features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

I think it's because 3D Zelda games are always the most ambitious. Look at WW's and TP's extreme art styles and compare that to, say, ALBW with it's simple world and art style.
    Moreso than a restricted scope (or perhaps resultant of one?), in a post-OoT environment, 3D Zeldas tend to be regarded as the main Zeldas, with 2D Zelda taking a backseat in terms of exposure and draw power; there's plenty of self-professed Zelda fans that have only really played the 3D games, and that's reflected in the sales, as well as what's now become a console vs. handheld dichotomy in parallel. Certainly, there's a reason that the only traditional 2D Zelda that Nintendo's developed since OoT bills itself as a LttP sequel.

I feel like a lot of 3D Zeldas have tried/are trying to sell themselves on spectacle/technical promises and conceptual leaps as more of their main appeal, not entirely unlike something in the vein of Crysis or Uncharted, which is part of what drives the constant stylistic shifts in alternate attempts to appeal to the market and strike out as unique and different; to that extent, I'd like to think I understand how the restrictions of Majora's Mask (both developmentally and within the game) have allowed the game's recognition to undergo a renaissance in recent years as a tighter, leaner game while its more expansive brethren get bickered to pieces.

From what admittedly limited experience I have with both genres of Zelda, I've found myself enjoying the 2D games more for trying to deliver a more focused experience than their polygonal counterparts; they eschew your vast, breathtakingly empty Hyrule Field/Great Sea/The Sky with a denser, more cohesive, more fleshed out overworld that can still retain that sense of exploration and adventure from the 3D Zeldas without being saddled with the traversal, linearity, and world-building issues that too often accompany them. Personally, I find the humbler, freer aesthetic and structure of something like Link's Awakening far more appealing than the limiting, cumbersome sense of scale that 3D Zeldas burdened with the expectation of selling consoles attempted to impart.

or maybe I'm just salty because 3D Zelda keeps putting in sections that take away your stuff and make you go stealth, idk
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 30th March 2015 at 7:11 AM.

Playing Majora's Mask. I'm enjoying it, but i think the soundtrack is not as good as OoT and i wish the main story had major plot twists (i love ALBW, OoT and Link's awakening plot twists). However, the masks are really fun to use and i love how different the game is.

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post
    Moreso than a restricted scope (or perhaps resultant of one?), in a post-OoT environment, 3D Zeldas tend to be regarded as the main Zeldas, with 2D Zelda taking a backseat in terms of exposure and draw power; there's plenty of self-professed Zelda fans that have only really played the 3D games, and that's reflected in the sales, as well as what's now become a console vs. handheld dichotomy in parallel. Certainly, there's a reason that the only traditional 2D Zelda that Nintendo's developed since OoT bills itself as a LttP sequel.

I feel like a lot of 3D Zeldas have tried/are trying to sell themselves on spectacle/technical promises and conceptual leaps as more of their main appeal, not entirely unlike something in the vein of Crysis or Uncharted, which is part of what drives the constant stylistic shifts in alternate attempts to appeal to the market and strike out as unique and different; to that extent, I'd like to think I understand how the restrictions of Majora's Mask (both developmentally and within the game) have allowed the game's recognition to undergo a renaissance in recent years as a tighter, leaner game.

From what admittedly limited experience I have with both genres of Zelda, I've found myself enjoying the 2D games more for trying to deliver a more focused experience than their polygonal counterparts; they eschew your vast, breathtakingly empty Hyrule Field/Great Sea/The Sky with a denser, more cohesive, more fleshed out overworld that can still retain that sense of exploration and adventure from the 3D Zeldas without being saddled with the traversal, linearity, and world-building issues that too often accompany them. Personally, I find the humbler, freer aesthetic and structure of something like Link's Awakening far more appealing than the limiting, cumbersome sense of scale that 3D Zeldas burdened with the expectation of selling consoles attempted to impart.

or maybe I'm just salty because 3D Zelda keeps putting in sections that take away your stuff and make you go stealth, idk
    Wait, what are you guys talking about? A Link between worlds is 3d.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuxuba View Post
    3D models with 2D gameplay, hence "2D Zelda" as mentoned. The discussion is about the console titles, which are fully-realized 3D worlds, not the handheld titles.

-----
    Words to|live by

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Only to be deified for that same reason when the series went back to a more "realistic" art style three years later, giving one some idea of just how much stock should be put in any of these complaints.
    Exactly.
    I really can't give any major complaints about of the 3D Zelda games, I think they're all amazing. Twilight Princess is definitely my favorite, but possibly because it was the first Zelda game I played. If I had to, I would probably actually say that Ocarina was my least favorite, but that really doesn't mean much as I still loved it.
    That's actually kind of how I feel; I loved all the 3D Zeldas.
    I was disappointed by TP at first because it was so easy, but its strong traits grew on my over time.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuxuba View Post

Yeah but you play it in a top down 2.5D perspective.

To me objectively, Ocarina of Time is the best 3D Zelda Game. Even though I love and enjoy Wind Waker more. All the 3d zelda games do somethings correctly and better than Ocarina of Time. However, Ocarina was the first Zelda game I played and beat so that definitely contributes to my opinion of it. I thought Twilight Princess was great for awhile. Then I replayed it and something seemed missing. Then I discovered Chyde109's Twilight Princess Review video and he nailed it on the head where Twilight Princess did good but mostly went wrong.

I am sure Nintendo will do a dual release of Zelda U on wiiu and their next gen console like they did with Twilight Princess. I sure hope Nintendo does not release a new homeconsole soon. I just got me a WiiU. The reason the wiiu is not selling is due to it not use the Controller Pro as the main controller and their terrible marketing with the console. I wish it would sell more units. I find it hard to believe it still has not topped 10 million units yet. I am really excited for ZeldaU. I am hoping this will be for 3D Zelda what Link to the Past was for 2D Zelda. To me a perfect Zelda game would have excellent story telling with some plot twists, epic boss battles, new and creative items, fun and creative puzzles in dungeons, plenty of optional side quests, huge world with tons of treasure to find(and worth exploring), sword skill upgrades, and for once and optional sword upgrade(it has been since Ocarina where we have had a 3d zelda with a stronger sword than your main quest related one). I hope they bring back magic power if they have to use RPG elements to upgrade your MP and make it where it auto regenerates(or heals if you sit down). It be nice to have some cool magical items and spells to use.
    Last edited by Blastoys; 30th March 2015 at 7:18 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoys View Post
    I am sure Nintendo will do a dual realease of Zelda U on wiiu and their next gen console like they did with Twilight Princess.
    There's no reason to expect this yet - if they can get the game out by the end of 2016 (reasonable) then it won't be an issue, because...

I sure hope Nintendo does not release a new homeconsole soon. I just got me a WiiU.
    ...whatever the NX is isn't going to be out until 2017, if we're not even going to get our first look until next year. That said, the Wii U is two and a half years old, let's not pretend it just came out.

The reason the wiiu is not selling is due to it not use the Controller Pro as the main controller and their terrible marketing with the console.
    Not quite. The dearth of software is culprits 1, 2 and 3. Everything else is secondary.
    Last edited by BCVM22; 30th March 2015 at 7:24 AM.

-----
    Words to|live by

I agree with your first comment if the NX comes out in 2017 at the earliest.

I disagree with your next statement though. I mean really lack of software? New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World, Assasin's Creed, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros WiiU, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Kountry Tropical Freeze, etc. That is an accomplished game library there. It's missing Pokemon, Metroid, Star Fox, Fire Emblem and a traditional Zelda game. I do not think software is the problem.

It is marketing and getting more 3d party titles. Nintnedo branded itself as casual with the Wii. They need to do a better job branding themselves as being hardcore as well. Also it is unfortuante they named their console WiiU. A lot of people thought it was only an HD Wii, kinda of like how the New 3ds is a higher powered 3ds.

New Super Mario Bros U, Super Mario 3D World, Assasin's Creed, Bayonetta 2, Mario Kart 8, Super Smash Bros WiiU, Hyrule Warriors, Donkey Kong Kountry Tropical Freeze, etc. That is an accomplished game library there.
    It is. But that library is also spread out over two and a half years. It gets a little thinner when you look at it like that.

It's missing Pokemon, Metroid, Star Fox, Fire Emblem and a traditional Zelda game. I do not think software is the problem.
    Given what a Pokémon game on the Wii U would be, none of these would be system movers on their own (save the last one, obviously). These would help but they are not the solution on their own or even collectively (again, save the Zelda game).

They need to do a better job branding themselves as being hardcore as well.
    "Casual", "hardcore", what do these even mean anymore? And even if one puts meaning in these words, the Wii U isn't "hardcore". It packs less internal memory than its competitors and features a smaller number of the big third-party titles that its competitors feature. You can argue with yourself over the extent to which this hurts the system - making it less powerful and less featured so as to sell it at a lower price point was an intentional decision, no doubt, and Nintendo's industry-best stable of franchises potentially makes up for the weak third-party support - but the fact is that those so-called "hardcore" gamers (best usually avoided, honestly, but that's neither here nor there) don't gravitate towards the Wii U, necessarily. Again, you can have that debate as to how much of an issue that is in the grand scheme of things.

Also it is unfortuante they named their console WiiU. A lot of people thought it was only an HD Wii, kinda of like how the New 3ds is a higher powered 3ds.
    That's silly. People had no trouble differentiating the Nintendo, the Super Nintendo and the Nintendo 64, no issues telling apart the Game Boy, the Game Boy Color and the Game Boy Advance and no problems knowing the 3DS was a step up from the DS. If someone was going to look at the name Wii U and all associated materials and every other context clue and still conclude that it's "only an HD Wii", they're going to be confused by a lot of things in their life.

-----
    Words to|live by

Not even a main title Zelda game would move any noticeable amount of systems. Especially Zelda Wii U. It you don't already have a U for Mario, DK, Pikman, Kart, Smash, then Zelda probably wouldn't change anyone's mind. Xenoblade might move some since the JPRG fans would want it and no other game offers something similar but I don't Zelda would. Zelda will probably has a pretty high attach rate.

Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    That's silly. People had no trouble differentiating the Nintendo, the Super Nintendo and the Nintendo 64, no issues telling apart the Game Boy, the Game Boy Color and the Game Boy Advance and no problems knowing the 3DS was a step up from the DS. If someone was going to look at the name Wii U and all associated materials and every other context clue and still conclude that it's "only an HD Wii", they're going to be confused by a lot of things in their life.
    The problem is, not everyone buying a system is fully educated. I've talked to some people in retail that said that a lot of people going into their store were confused and thought that the Wii just gained a tablet. I'm not exactly refuting your point, but you, me and almost everyone on this forum, yes, we know the difference, but there are those that use almost no sources other than ads, and come into a gaming store wondering which system they should get themselves/their kids/etc. without the recommended research.

3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Quote Originally Posted by Excitable Boy View Post

I feel like a lot of 3D Zeldas have tried/are trying to sell themselves on spectacle/technical promises and conceptual leaps as more of their main appeal, not entirely unlike something in the vein of Crysis or Uncharted, which is part of what drives the constant stylistic shifts in alternate attempts to appeal to the market and strike out as unique and different; to that extent, I'd like to think I understand how the restrictions of Majora's Mask (both developmentally and within the game) have allowed the game's recognition to undergo a renaissance in recent years as a tighter, leaner game while its more expansive brethren get bickered to pieces.

I fall under that category of people who call themselves Zelda fans, but only like the 3D games. The only 2D Zelda game I've actually beaten was Mimish Cap, and I've also played but not beaten the original and Adventures of Link. Personally, I just feel like the 2D ones are a little lackluster compared to their 3D counterparts. They just allow you feel like you're a part of the world so much easier, and the environments/puzzles are so much more unique. When they released A Link between Worlds, I just couldn't help but feel it was a waste after they just had Ocarina of Time on the 3DS, proving that a 3D game on the 3DS was possible.

Also, I think the stealth parts fun. Annoying, but fun.

Check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by The Admiral View Post
    There's still something occurring repeatedly. I expect ALBW dodged it because of its connection to LttP if anything.
    As an outsider to the fanbase looking in, my impression is that most 3D Zeldas tend to be hyped to ridiculous heights initially, and as time goes on, people start to get a more grounded interpretation (with the Internet distorting that "maybe's it's not flawless" into "it's utter trash," as it is prone to do, and the apparent following upswing in perception existing as a reaction to that).

The constant identity crises probably aren't helping that, either.

When they released A Link between Worlds, I just couldn't help but feel it was a waste after they just had Ocarina of Time on the 3DS, proving that a 3D game on the 3DS was possible.
    PH and ST proved 3D(-esque?) Zeldas were possible on the DS, and those got shat on in heaping helpings, while ALBW's been by and large well-received; I don't see why the existence of 3D Zelda would make 2D obsolete when 2D Zelda has demonstrated its value quite capably for almost 30 years.

I liked ST (Zelda's only useful when she's a ghost LOLOLOL women), but the one thing I HATED the most was the gotdang train tracks!! Took forever and ever and ever to get to someplace. Same for freaking PH. They were fine on the first run, but I'm perfectly fine with never ever ever playing them ever ever again... Ever. Now that I think about it, overworld traversal in 3D Zelda is really effing dull.

You are Slave.
    Want emancipation?

I personally loved ALBT and liked the usefulness of wall merging during boss battles to avoid damage. And it was so much better being able to have ALL the main weapons and doing the dungeons in ANY order you wished instead of it being linear. I always do the Thief Hideout first just so I could have the Sand Rod and then head for the Desert Palace.
    "Hey! Don't pawn your trash on me!" Watchy Watchog

Skyward Sword is praised for it's story
    I wonder why. It's not uncommon for Link to be the chosen one, but Skyward Sword really drills it into your head to the point of tedium. The ultimate endboss is bland. Fi has pretty much no good lines. There is never any sense of tension. And the world isn't empty just in terms of tedious flying and backtracking; there's almost nobody to talk to. I'm not saying the others had a gripping story, but this came across as weaker than usual.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegiscalibur View Post
    I wonder why. It's not uncommon for Link to be the chosen one, but Skyward Sword really drills it into your head to the point of tedium. The ultimate endboss is bland. Fi has pretty much no good lines. There is never any sense of tension. And the world isn't empty just in terms of tedious flying and backtracking; there's almost nobody to talk to. I'm not saying the others had a gripping story, but this came across as weaker than usual.
    The story praise probably comes from us getting the origin of the characters. I for one thought that was great.

Check it out!

The story praise probably comes from us getting the origin of the characters. I for one thought that was great.
    But that's just more "the chosen one" stuff. Fate dictates that there is an endless cycle of these generic struggles between good and evil. It's not something any of the characters decided for themselves. It's just boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Aegiscalibur View Post
    But that's just more "the chosen one" stuff. Fate dictates that there is an endless cycle of these generic struggles between good and evil. It's not something any of the characters decided for themselves. It's just boring.
    That "chosen one" stuff is also part of why Groose was so awesome, though.

I dunno, the game's story just felt interesting to me. Cheesy or not, there was always something happening between every dungeon.

That "chosen one" stuff is also part of why Groose was so awesome, though.
    It would be more legit if it had really become the Legend of Groose. Sidekicks are well within the boundaries of the usual plot, and he only appeared a few times anyway.

Cheesy or not, there was always something happening between every dungeon.
    You mean those short cutscenes? There were barely any NPCs to talk to in between.

Page 281 of 287 FirstFirst ... 181231271277278279280281282283284285 ... LastLast