View Poll Results: Favorite Zelda game

Voters
720. You may not vote on this poll
  • Twilight Princess

    186 25.83%
  • Wind Waker

    177 24.58%
  • Ocarina of Time

    293 40.69%
  • Others

    233 32.36%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 283 of 287 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287 LastLast
Results 7,051 to 7,075 of 7175

Thread: Zelda games discussion

  1. #7051
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    When you get right down to it, pretty much every video game has a very convenient explanation for its premise.
    "Pretty much every" meaning how many, exactly? Haven't you ever played any of the better RPGs or VNs? They are a minority, sure, but I never said otherwise.

  2. #7052
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    18,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aegiscalibur View Post
    "Pretty much every" meaning how many, exactly? Haven't you ever played any of the better RPGs or VNs? They are a minority, sure, but I never said otherwise.
    Yes, I have. And them being a minority leaves my statement correct. They are also a completely different type of game than any Zelda game is. People are always expecting too much story stuff from Zelda, and then when we get it they complain about it anyway.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  3. #7053
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Yes, I have. And them being a minority leaves my statement correct. They are also a completely different type of game than any Zelda game is. People are always expecting too much story stuff from Zelda, and then when we get it they complain about it anyway.
    Your real statement was the implication that I'm somehow unaware of these things and I should join in the praise because it's a video game.

    Now, I'm one of the most cynical people around and have about zero illusions of past Zelda plots or expectations of any future ones. (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if SS was the franchise killer for me.) But that's no reason not to hold a small rant now and then as a form of catharsis. If you can't even rant about it on internet forums, all those wasted hours will really become wasted. Well, I like ranting about motion controls more though.

  4. #7054
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    18,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aegiscalibur View Post
    Your real statement was the implication that I'm somehow unaware of these things and I should join in the praise because it's a video game.

    Now, I'm one of the most cynical people around and have about zero illusions of past Zelda plots or expectations of any future ones. (In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if SS was the franchise killer for me.) But that's no reason not to hold a small rant now and then as a form of catharsis. If you can't even rant about it on internet forums, all those wasted hours will really become wasted. Well, I like ranting about motion controls more though.
    Not that you're unaware or should join in praise, but that's it's pointless to rant about something like this. I'm all for ranting on the internet, but it's really better to rant about something worthwhile.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  5. #7055

    Default

    I A-Ranked everything on Ganon's Fury. Sweet.

    But now I unlocked that other mode as well... How do you make the Weak Point Gauges appear on bosses without using all of your Focus Spirit?

  6. #7056
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Not that you're unaware or should join in praise, but that's it's pointless to rant about something like this. I'm all for ranting on the internet, but it's really better to rant about something worthwhile.
    It feels lame to copy you, but welcome to the internet.

  7. #7057
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    18,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aegiscalibur View Post
    It feels lame to copy you, but welcome to the internet.
    Fair point.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  8. #7058
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    I always had the idea to get a zelda game since GB color era but never got one. Ocarina of time or seasons back then. Have never really playedit before but I does look interesting for the story mode and adventure. Are ocarina of time or current zelda gamesworthgetting?

    Atm i have accomplished most of what I want in pkmn x though itsonly really half of any top acheivements that are availble. Ive stagnated on some minor shiny hunting and 5iv pkmn. I do have some goals to do in battle maison and foreign dex filing but thats mostly what I do on the 3ds. Im looking into a zelda game or smash bros if I do get another game. Any advice on this?
    fc 3926 6866-2593 ign Nelliel
    fight Sawk Machoke Tyrogue
    polar pattern Vivillion

  9. #7059
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    1,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
    I always had the idea to get a zelda game since GB color era but never got one. Ocarina of time or seasons back then. Have never really playedit before but I does look interesting for the story mode and adventure. Are ocarina of time or current zelda gamesworthgetting?

    Atm i have accomplished most of what I want in pkmn x though itsonly really half of any top acheivements that are availble. Ive stagnated on some minor shiny hunting and 5iv pkmn. I do have some goals to do in battle maison and foreign dex filing but thats mostly what I do on the 3ds. Im looking into a zelda game or smash bros if I do get another game. Any advice on this?
    Smash Brothers or Zelda? That's a hard one. I guess it depends mostly on what you're looking for.

    Zelda is entirely focused on single player. Many games in the franchise, such as Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Wind Waker, have focus on story and atmosphere. They also have puzzle-filled dungeons that have you make use of different tools. All of the current Zeldas are worth getting, I'd say. A Link Between Worlds does focus a lot less on narrative and is rather short, however, so while it's still fun, it's not as grandiose of an experience as the others(though it is beginner friendly).

    Smash Brothers doesn't have as much as far as single player content goes, but it has enough. This game has a lot of depth and content, so it's also really good if you want a game that will last you a good while. It's main focus is as a social game, however, so I'd mostly recommend it if you have friends who play it or a good internet connection.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 8 Battles
    Anyone who says all pokemon are created equal cearly hasn't had much experience with Unown.

  10. #7060
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Smash Brothers or Zelda? That's a hard one. I guess it depends mostly on what you're looking for.

    Zelda is entirely focused on single player. Many games in the franchise, such as Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Wind Waker, have focus on story and atmosphere. They also have puzzle-filled dungeons that have you make use of different tools. All of the current Zeldas are worth getting, I'd say. A Link Between Worlds does focus a lot less on narrative and is rather short, however, so while it's still fun, it's not as grandiose of an experience as the others(though it is beginner friendly).

    thank you for the reply Zachmac

    Smash Brothers doesn't have as much as far as single player content goes, but it has enough. This game has a lot of depth and content, so it's also really good if you want a game that will last you a good while. It's main focus is as a social game, however, so I'd mostly recommend it if you have friends who play it or a good internet connection.

    i really liked smash bros the few times i played it on N64 though wasnt that great with the game. i liked playing link with the hook and kick KO move but i never fared well against ppl who knew the any decent character moves. i do have a good net connection though it does drop off at time random times once in a while. as far as ppl i know who play it, its pretty much limited to online battles in that case. i do have some concerns with the screen size and 4 player brawls, from what i understand zooming out is a bit hard to keep track of.

    i got a xbox 360 with Soul Calibur 2 and 4 before i got my 3ds a few years ago. barely touch the 360 now thout thats aside th point. baring online battles posibilities (never put xbox online and years late to the online scene), i played the solo fighting games and i didnt last too long on it as the gimmicks and extras didnt keep my attention too much. SC4 does have cutomistaion on stats and characters and had lots of depth too. at most i play the games for nostalgia. i had more interest in the Unreal tournament games where you have a bunch of maps you can fight in and explore. i like the roaming parts as i could mind my business and look around nooks and crannies. if i do play the xbox its more likely id chose unreal tournament over SC2/4.

    i looked at a few ocarina of time 3d vids already and the roaming part gets my attention almost immediately. im not looking for the shortest or longest zelda game but something that the most interesting and isnt too short. looking more at occarina atm as i didnt get it back in the GB color era though. though i would probably narrow it down to oracle of seasons or occarina of time. i did seem to prefer oracle of seasons back then for some reason. though if i want the detailed roaming maps id probably need to pick a more recent game than Seasons.
    Last edited by nel3; 29th April 2015 at 4:42 AM.
    fc 3926 6866-2593 ign Nelliel
    fight Sawk Machoke Tyrogue
    polar pattern Vivillion

  11. #7061
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    1,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
    i looked at a few ocarina of time 3d vids already and the roaming part gets my attention almost immediately. im not looking for the shortest or longest zelda game but something that the most interesting and isnt too short. looking more at occarina atm as i didnt get it back in the GB color era though. though i would probably narrow it down to oracle of seasons or occarina of time. i did seem to prefer oracle of seasons back then for some reason. though if i want the detailed roaming maps id probably need to pick a more recent game than Seasons.
    You're not likely to find a unanimous opinion on which Zelda game to start with, but OoT is as good a place as any. If Seasons caught your eye and you're wanting something akin to it but more recent, A Link Between Worlds is likely to be your best bet.

    The question of Zelda vs. Smash Bros, as Zachmac said, basically boils down to whether you are more interested in a single player adventure or a multiplayer game. They're far too different for it to be worth weighing the pros and cons of them.

  12. #7062
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Ty very muchAkashin. I think I will go with the zelda series. The gameplay seems to interest me more over smash bros. though I cant rule out getting smash bros later on entirely as I still very much like the series. If im corrrect, I can still get oracle of seasons from the eshop any time given I have 6 dollars on the account. Would that eshop version be the full version and not a shortened demo?
    fc 3926 6866-2593 ign Nelliel
    fight Sawk Machoke Tyrogue
    polar pattern Vivillion

  13. #7063
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    18,196

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
    Ty very muchAkashin. I think I will go with the zelda series. The gameplay seems to interest me more over smash bros. though I cant rule out getting smash bros later on entirely as I still very much like the series. If im corrrect, I can still get oracle of seasons from the eshop any time given I have 6 dollars on the account. Would that eshop version be the full version and not a shortened demo?
    Yeah, it's a Virtual Console title, they're all the full games.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  14. #7064
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Yeah, it's a Virtual Console title, they're all the full games.
    Thank you, I have an idea where to get the GBC cartidge but I hav no intention ofgoing backto my gbc.

    is there any difference between ocarina of time or link to worlds when it comes to the actual hard copy of the game vs the eshop download?
    Im talking more about the 3ds memory card side. I can see it being a problem if the 3ds breaks and eshop copy is gone with it.

    In looking more to a hard copy atm as I cant find an eshop gift card as id rather not put any personal info on my eshop acct.
    Last edited by nel3; 30th April 2015 at 1:14 AM.
    fc 3926 6866-2593 ign Nelliel
    fight Sawk Machoke Tyrogue
    polar pattern Vivillion

  15. #7065
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Zelda is entirely focused on single player. Many games in the franchise, such as Twilight Princess, Skyward Sword, and Wind Waker, have focus on story and atmosphere. They also have puzzle-filled dungeons that have you make use of different tools. All of the current Zeldas are worth getting, I'd say. A Link Between Worlds does focus a lot less on narrative and is rather short, however, so while it's still fun, it's not as grandiose of an experience as the others(though it is beginner friendly).
    Leaving Ocarina of Time out of a list of games most focused on story and atmosphere is criminal. The music, cinematography, and writing are just as good today as they were in 1998. The scenes with Sheik, Impa, Zelda, Nabooru, Saria, and Ganondorf are all packed with emotion.

    The graphics and gameplay could be considered aged and sluggish, but the story and atmosphere are something special.

    Quote Originally Posted by nel3 View Post
    is there any difference between ocarina of time or link to worlds when it comes to the actual hard copy of the game vs the eshop download?
    Im talking more about the 3ds memory card side. I can see it being a problem if the 3ds breaks and eshop copy is gone with it.
    Technically, there is no difference in the games between physical and digital. It's mostly a matter of personal preference.

    I have heard however that Nintendo has stopped producing OoT3D, so physical copies may become hard to find if you don't get one soon.

  16. #7066
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seachran View Post
    Leaving Ocarina of Time out of a list of games most focused on story and atmosphere is criminal. The music, cinematography, and writing are just as good today as they were in 1998. The scenes with Sheik, Impa, Zelda, Nabooru, Saria, and Ganondorf are all packed with emotion.

    The graphics and gameplay could be considered aged and sluggish, but the story and atmosphere are something special.



    Technically, there is no difference in the games between physical and digital. It's mostly a matter of personal preference.

    I have heard however that Nintendo has stopped producing OoT3D, so physical copies may become hard to find if you don't get one soon.
    Ty seachran. Thats news to me though I dont think ill have trouble with hardcopies. 2 places have it atn though 1 store migth need to check the hidden shelf. I havent tried toys rus but they might still have it. The 2 stores I checked today had both shown on the shelf though in limited stock ie 1 or 2 shown. I will make a choice rather soon on occarina or worlds. I guess ill go with occarina while I can still get a hard copy. I could also get both hard copies while theyre available.

    If anything a eshop gift card is harder to find. Apparently canada gets a limited supply that doesnt stay long on the shelves and they dont restock or send them out often.

    given they're redoing the previous games into 3d, is there a good chance oracle of seasons/age are likely to be in the pipeline?
    Last edited by nel3; 30th April 2015 at 4:07 AM.
    fc 3926 6866-2593 ign Nelliel
    fight Sawk Machoke Tyrogue
    polar pattern Vivillion

  17. #7067
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The Wild Wild West
    Posts
    1,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Seachran View Post
    Leaving Ocarina of Time out of a list of games most focused on story and atmosphere is criminal. The music, cinematography, and writing are just as good today as they were in 1998. The scenes with Sheik, Impa, Zelda, Nabooru, Saria, and Ganondorf are all packed with emotion.
    Well, I wasn't entirely blown away by OoT's story. Not compared to the other 3D Zeldas at least. But it was decent enough, I suppose.

    I won't deny the atmosphere. The Forest and Shadow temples especially stuck with me.
    Venemo Oscuridad - 8 Battles
    Anyone who says all pokemon are created equal cearly hasn't had much experience with Unown.

  18. #7068

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Well, I wasn't entirely blown away by OoT's story. Not compared to the other 3D Zeldas at least. But it was decent enough, I suppose.
    To be fair, it was the first 3D Zelda, so I'd like to think other subsequent games built upon it. For its time, despite using largely the same "Rescue the sages, stop Ganon, and save Zelda" structure that A Link to the Past, the storyline was a pretty nice step forward given it fleshed it out more, and showed Ganon's effect on the world with the before-and-after of the child and adult timelines, went more into detail about the Triforce and its splitting into three pieces, and gave us a look at how Ganondorf became Ganon, so it was the first real backstory Ganondorf got. Other games built upon that, such as Wind Waker opting to go more into Ganondorf's backstory, for instance. And I will say that going from getting the three Sacred Stones, and seemingly succeeding only to have Ganondorf use you to get the Triforce, well, that stuck with me.

    I won't say Ocarina of Time has the best story by any means, but I'd say it made a fairly significant advancement over its predecessors, and was a fantastic way to give 3D Zelda games a strong start.
    Competitive/IGRMT Mod, one of the writers for the PotW, and (apparently) best regular mod of 2014. Also now available in orange!

    I make no claim of being perfect or always right. Take everything I say with a grain of salt.

  19. #7069
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zachmac View Post
    Well, I wasn't entirely blown away by OoT's story. Not compared to the other 3D Zeldas at least. But it was decent enough, I suppose.

    I won't deny the atmosphere. The Forest and Shadow temples especially stuck with me.
    I feel "packed with emotion" is also kind of overselling uhhh everything

    it was kind of a bummer to see Nabooru shot down but I felt nothing for Impa (who was barely around), Sheik (who just waxed poetic) or Ganondorf (whos big moments include "magicing a child" "taking over everything between timeskips" and "playing an organ") etc etc

    it has a good gimmick with the different eras and some pretty okay bosses and the best final dungeon (because it was BRIEF HOW DO SO MANY GAMES NOT REALIZE BREVITY IS KEY TO GOOD DUNGEONS) but on the whole i wasn't blown away by Ocarina's story & characters and I think that its historic importance (such as it is) has to be used to forgive its assorted faults.

  20. #7070
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    18,196

    Default

    If you think Ocarina of Time is packed with emotion, I think you should play some real story-focused games. It's not even the best example from its own time period.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  21. #7071
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Hope's Peak Academy
    Posts
    2,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    If you think Ocarina of Time is packed with emotion, I think you should play some real story-focused games. It's not even the best example from its own time period.
    The Lon Lon Ranch song packed me with emotion all right. Darn farmers Mario and Luigi invading muh Zelda!
    Last edited by Void Ventus; 30th April 2015 at 1:19 PM.


    You are Slave.
    Want emancipation?


  22. #7072
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    299

    Default

    I got both 3d zelda games and found a place the had loads of eshop cards. I didnt check that shop closely enough to notice the cards before.
    fc 3926 6866-2593 ign Nelliel
    fight Sawk Machoke Tyrogue
    polar pattern Vivillion

  23. #7073
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Greendale Community College
    Posts
    1,140

    Default

    Any emotional investment I had in OoT's story was shallow, at best. Wind Waker did a much better job of exerting some actual emotional power, mostly because Link wasn't just another blank, emotionless, dead-behind-the-eyes everyhero like in previous games. You can't relate to a piece of cardboard.

    Was that really it? Will wondered. Was that what they were all doing, looking for someone less different? Was that what he was doing? Rachel was dynamic and thoughtful and focused and caring and different in more ways than he could count, but the whole point of Rachel, as far as Will was concerned, was that she wasn't him. There was a flaw in Katrina's logic, then. This thing about looking for someone less different ... It only really worked, he realised, if you were convinced that being you wasn't so bad in the first place.

    - Nick Hornby

  24. #7074
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    In your mind
    Posts
    4,552

    Default

    Regarding, the Oracle games.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Yeah, it's a Virtual Console title, they're all the full games.
    There is one sort of exception to this. Since it doesn't play on the GBA, you can't get the GBA rings. Of course, when you transfer data, you can alter digits in your transfer code in order to get them.

    Ocarina of Time doesn't have that much emotion, but I don't think that is what its strengths lie in.
    The storytelling is decent, but the varying world in which you got to roam was something for its time.

    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

  25. #7075
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    In a monkey suit
    Posts
    10,709

    Default

    if you want real emotion done well, the best solution is to play something that isn't Zelda (really, nothing made by EAD fits this)

    edit: I guess MM fits this, but it's an exception proving a rule
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 1st May 2015 at 4:28 PM.

Page 283 of 287 FirstFirst ... 183233273279280281282283284285286287 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •