Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Beta House: Reloaded

Mentorees:
    Story title: Kyurem- the third hero
    Fandom (preferably pokémon): Pokemon
    Plot summary: Zach, Bianca, and Cheren(Who are teenagers) start their journey. Zach soon comes across a man who wants Pokemon liberation, by befriending the legendary Kyurem.
    Genre: Action/Romance
    Rating: PG-13
    Mentor needed: Grammar,and characterization
    Prior writing experience: Another fan fic, which i'm still making
    Writing sample (optional, but expected):
    I finished Chap 1, but i'll just post part of it.

Spoiler:- chap 1:

Added to the list!

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

The BBS Forums! Join in!
    Gain achievements for activity on forums & the games!

Tied to this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors - check it out!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut?
    Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Category (two maximum unless comprehensive): Plot/ Character traits (like how characters act)
    Genre specialty (if any): anything exept mushy or sexual romance
    Method of contact:PM/VM
    Proofreader (yes/no): no

If you're applying to be a mentor, you'll need to provide some samples of your writing and reviews made as well, please. (Doesn't have to be on this forum).

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Current article: Dude, where's my Game Corner? Learn why you can't gamble in ORAS. =(
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Alright, if it's desperately needed, can I get re-added? Still kind of busy, but I have more time and can certainly help out one or two people.

Though probably obvious with the picture, I was formerly known as IanDonyer. Actually got a username closer to my real name, now.

Alright, I update that bit.

Think I might PM a few of the older people on the list sometime to see if they still want someone/didnt mention they found someone.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Story title: Bravery and Smartness
    Fandom (preferably pokémon): Pokémon
    Plot summary:A 16 year old is traveling through Hoenn, and he meets Team Aqua and Team Magma. The police are no match for them, so he decides to take them on. He travels to the gyms for practicing.
    Genre: Adventure/Action/Romance
    Rating: PG-13(For now)
    Mentor needed: Character depth
    Prior writing experience: Kyurem the third hero
    Preferred mentor (optional): Someone good with character depth
    Other (optional): It has to be through PM, I don't have e-mail

Update: Feral has agreed to help me, with the understanding of working through potentially long time delays.
        Spoiler:- Breeding stuff:

Mentorees:

Story title: Embrace

Plot summary:

A riolu egg is abandoned at a breeding facility. An older teen raises him while filling him with hope that soon his trainer and his father will return. This is the story of a teen's promise to find those that left riolu behind. With a distaste for battling and an unorthodox career this will be harder than it seems.

Genre: Drama, Action, Comedy (Some)

Rating: Most likely rated "R" For sexual references ( Protagonist is a breeder).

Mentor needed: Comprehensive / Plot

Prior writing experience: School work. Otherwise it's my first fic.

Preferred mentor (optional): -

Writing sample (optional, but expected): I've never published anything. If someone is curios I'll gladly post the prologue to this story.

Other (optional): As a newer writer, I sometimes I have trouble sticking to one tense. Consequently, I need to be slapped repeatedly with a large trout until I learn my lesson. I will accept and enjoy said fishy beatings, as I want to improve.
    Last edited by Drippy Miltank; 28th October 2011 at 1:30 AM. Reason: It's Gramma-fix time!
    Embrace

A breeder joyously hatches a riolu for a client. To the dismay of the hatchling, the client never returns to claim him. Faced with an abandoned pokémon, the breeder vows to find the riolu's trainer and family.
    (Better banner coming soon.)
    Current - Chapter 1: The Client.

Coming up - Re-writing Chapter 2

Spoiler:- 4th Gen Eggmove (Any Nature/Gender):

I'm alive, I'm alive!

Thanks for telling me, Glover. Zoruagible, you already have an entry there so I'm not updating that one (given how many people want a mentor as it is), sorry. You can replace your first one if you want though. And Drippy Miltank, you've been added; and as I noticed your previous edit of maybe wanting to be a mentor as well, if you want to still do that just make another post using the mentor application.

Going to make some PMs now to people on the list for a while to see if they still want. And if I don't get any reply in a week I'll assume they don't need a mentor anymore and remove said request because it seems odd to me for people to still want it after half a year.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

And after more than a week and some replies (and some not, including from people who haven't even signed on for half a year) and other PMs the list of people wanting mentors is now significantly smaller, but nonetheless more mentors is always something needed! =p

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Mentorees:
    Story title: Into the Shadows
    Plot summary: Cipher attempts to realize their plans, and Wes, Rui, and Eldes set out to stop them.
    Genre: Post- XD, Adventure
    Rating: R
    Mentor needed: Comprehensive
    Prior writing experience: Academic mainly.
    Preferred mentor (optional): none.
    Writing sample (optional, but expected): Link to fic is in my sig. Also, this is a oneshot that I wrote.
    Other (optional):

I'd like to drop my previous fic mentor request thingy for Johto Journeys and submit a new one.

Story Title: The Return Of The Indigo League (temporary)
    Plot summary: Ash and co. head back to Kanto to have another go at the Indigo League. Little do they know that they are to be greeted by old friends and rivals... As soon as they reach Indigo Plateau, they find that many of Ash's old friends have all come to either participate in the League, the nearby Grand Festival or simply to watch. With all of them in one place, plenty of romance, drama, adventure and mystery follows...
    Genre: Adventure, Romance, Drama, Mystery
    Rating: K+/T
    Mentor needed: Anyone who can help me out with battle scenes, character introductions, chapter pacing, etc.
    Prior writing experience:
    Preferred mentor (optional):
    Writing sample (optional, but expected):
    Other (optional):

Updated both of you into it!

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Default Beta Reader/Editor wanted

It seems that the Beta Reader thread has sunk pretty low. Well, I'm desperate enough so here I go. If I'm in violation of something, I'm sorry.

My old Beta Reader had to drop me since our time tables aren't able to match. I need a new one who can suit my needs to work on my fanfic. Here's what I'm working on and what I expect a Beta Reader to help me with:

Pokemon: The Black & White Adventures is my adaptation of the games, Pokemon Black, Pokemon White, Pokemon Black 2 and Pokemon White 2 obviously. The storyline for the first series basically follows Hilda, a 14 year old Pokemon Trainer, journeying Unova to enter the League, complete the Pokedex and stop Team Plasma with the mysterious young man named N. The second series (02) follows 16 year old Bunny (my nickname for the BW2 protagonist but her actual game name will be used as her birth name) and her boyfriend (the BW2 rival) journeying Unova and encountering the revived Team Plasma.

If you have any doubts of this, I guarantee that the actual stories will NOT be carbon copies of the games' storylines and characters. It may be a Trainer Fic but I intend for it to stick out in a good way. Though the majority of their elements will be used, I intend to expand on them and put a twist on certain things. For one thing, Bianca is Juniper's assistant from the get-go and Cheren is Looker's nephew and crime fighting partner. As such, they're not Hilda's rivals but still play a role. Elesa is a singer and actress. N is Hilda's rival and fellow Dex Holder. And yes, there's Ferriswheelshipping and I intend to pull it off well. I wish I could explain more but I'd rather not spoil anything outside PMs since a lot of these twists might genuinely surprise readers.

For a Beta Reader, I need someone who's a very frequent regular here with plenty of time to kill when discussing and brainstorming with me via PMs. If you're busy with personal issues at a particular moment, I'll understand and wait for your return if it's very important. You should be willing and interested to work with me and help me with my characters, stories and ideas. Maybe even make your suggestions. Of course, they must be a fan of Generation V and Unova with enough knowledge on it but you probably knew that.

They also must be flexible with dark, light and thrillingly epic tones since my Trainer fic isn't mature in the sense of nudity, sex and extreme violence or light in the sense of the Pokemon Anime but on the level of epicness like Pokemon Special or Digimon more or less. It's pretty young adultish like Harry Potter or Molly Moon and I plan to give it a sense of an action cartoon with a storyline and standalone stories for the characters as well as elements so older readers can have fun. The characters are written to be gray where they're not perfect in the sense that they makes mistakes like any person would. It's less cliched and shabby than you'd believe but I'll let you be the judge.

And example would be Hilda: she was raised to be smart, quick witted, outdoorsy and athletic. She also studied extensively on Pokemon, Training and Battling from books so we see her use her knowledge for hands on experience and strategies. She's serious when the situation calls for it and smart enough to take care of herself but is young at heart so she plays games with her Pokemon outside training and battling. The childish persona is her way of letting loose and having fun in a good mood so she doesn't go insane from being serious 24/7. She doesn't start out as one and develop into the other but rather she's both from the get go: well-rounded and subtly developed over the story. Though she's a great prodigy, she does make mistakes when caught up in her emotions or playing the hero against Team Plasma.

Anyways, my Beta needs to be imaginative for this and not take things too seriously. A fun and understanding person. I also have Aspergers Syndrome so if I say something I shouldn't have by accident, please address this so I may apologize.

So, any volunteers?

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

*Looks at last post date* At the risk of being yelled at; may I be re-added as a mentoree? Silentmemento is unavailable to help me at the moment.
    Embrace

A breeder joyously hatches a riolu for a client. To the dismay of the hatchling, the client never returns to claim him. Faced with an abandoned pokémon, the breeder vows to find the riolu's trainer and family.

Hmm... tbh given the huge gap and all since the last post I think it might be an idea to just restart this thread. Thoughts? And on that note, any thoughts about any changes that could be implemented for the new version?

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Hmm... tbh given the huge gap and all since the last post I think it might be an idea to just restart this thread. Thoughts? And on that note, any thoughts about any changes that could be implemented for the new version?
    Could you include my post and DrippyMiltank to the new thread as well?

You got that right! The Legend of Korra is returning on October 3rd! Mark your calendars!

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    I think it's for the best. I'll bet many of those needing mentors won't come back, and a short list of mentorees would be less daunting. Hopefully, this will attracting new mentors.
    Embrace

Could you include my post and DrippyMiltank to the new thread as well?
    Yes, given your requests would be actually current rather than half a year old minimum. Same goes for mentors too - probably best to just start fresh on that.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Mentorees:
    Story title: Kyurem's wrath (A Black and White 2 fan fic)
    Plot summary: Three teens are finally allowed to leave on a journey. They travel to the next town to challenge the gym leader, and meet Team Plasma. Team Plasma gives them a speech about howw Pokemon should be set free, and they don't buy it. Later on they discover that Team Plasma plans to turn the rest of Unova into ice. Can they stop Kyurem in time or is Unova and possibly the rest of the world doomed?
    Genre: Action/Adventure/Comedy
    Rating: PG-13 (Because of language)
    Mentor needed: Comprehensive/Plot, if someone's good at both i'll be glad but if not I can deal with just comprehensive
    Prior writing experience: My crappy fan fics
    Preferred mentor (optional):
    Writing sample (optional, but expected): I'll PM you it if your interested
    Other (optional):

Closing and new thread made here.

On the list already is Drippy Miltank and Zoruagible; matt0044, I need you to use the form for applying (which I guess didn't happen as you had a separate thread anyways, but!). Also Bay as mentor as she said she's okay with being on the list while I was remaking. Everyone else needs to reapply/let me know if they still want to be on the list if they were already.

The BBS Forums! Join in!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123