10 25.64%
  • I like

17 43.59%
  • I no like

9 23.08%
  • I hate

3 7.69%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do you think of the deserts in the games?

Default What do you think of the deserts in the games?

I've always seen the deserts as one of the most fun and interesting to explore areas in Pokemon. They are one of those areas that tend to have alot of pokemon that only live there. So what do you think of these unique settings?
    Here is a list of all the desert routes and areas- (I'll include any area that's arid or has large populations of dryland pokemon, even if that area is not a true desert)

Hoenn Route 111- The first true desert in Pokemon, located near the center of the Hoenn region.
        Spoiler:- Route 111:

Unova Route 4- A desert that is also occupied by a constuction project, in black 2 the project is completed, and the desert destroyed, but in white two the project is called off, and the desert remains.

Desert Resort- A large expanse of sand, the only home to such unusual pokemon as Maractus, Sigylph and Dwebble

You can see the great Unovan Desert towards the lower middle part of the region.
        Spoiler:- Desert Resort:

Unova Route 18- This island is not a true desert. However, it was once adjacent to the desert resort, and as such, many desert pokemon live there.
        Spoiler:- Route 18:

Lentimas Town and Twist Mountain- Could be called the "other" desert of Unova, this area has been dried to the bone by its proximity to a volcano. The area is the only home of dryland Skorupi and Vibrava in the pokemon world.
        Spoiler:- Lentimas:

Lumiose Badlands- Possible the most barren and lifeless of all the deserts, it is inhabited by only three pokemon- trapinch, gible, and dugtrio (this is Kalos, mind you) all of which are fossorial, a testimony to how sterile this place is.
        Spoiler:- Lumiose Badlands:

Kalos Route 9- Again, while it cannot be called a true desert, the area is nonetheless quite arid and home to numerous desert species, including Sandile, Helioptile, and Hipoppotas.
        Spoiler:- Route 9:

Orre- The last desert in our list, the Orre region is basically entirely covered in desert! It is truly the largest in the pokemon world. It's native fauna is actually fairly limited, though. However this seems to be due to the interference of Cipher, and not due to the regions inhosbitability to desert pokemon.
        Spoiler:- Orre:

And, just for fun now, a list of all the desert pokemon! (if I missed any, feel free to bring up.)

Spoiler:- Desert Pokemon:

As you can see, the deserts and the pokemon that live in them are very interesting places, so what do you think about them?
        Spoiler:- Bugs:

So I was building quite a nice winning streak on random wifi battles, having beaten my way through countless Garchomps, Volcoronas, Aegislash and Mega Blazikens. Then my streak was utterly broken by a Vivillon, who completely swept my team.

I laughed it off as a one off sort of thing, since the guy deserved props for using it after all. But just as I was starting to build another win streak another Vivillon trainer showed up and it happened again. I am living in perpetual fear that the next trainer I face will have a happy, smiling murder butterfly on their team.

Pokemon #666 indeed.

If you ignore the annoying sandstorm during battles, desserts are quite lovely now that you mention it. By the way, you missed Sinnoh's Route 228.

I think Unova's dessert is my favourite. It was quite large & has a very diverse set of Pokemons (in terms of types). It has gone through a great deal of changes in B2W2 which makes it all the more interesting - it adds more to the history of the place. You've got also Relic Castle which is used in the plot and is home to Volcarona (epic dex entries) too.

My second favourite is probably RSE's dessert. I like the idea of the Go-Goggles. It has a decent selection of Pokemons, and again a few interesting mysteries. You have the Mirage Tower (nice little bike challenge), the Underpass & Regirock's cave. Makes you keep coming for more again, so it was nicely designed place.

After all this, Kalos's dessert was indeed quite dry like you mentioned. Also, did you have to add huge pictures of the dessert Pokemons? Was expecting a textual list in that spoiler.

I like the deserts in the games. They are interesting and unique environments which is great as it makes the areas in the games more varied. The sandstorm damage can be annoying at times, but it can also be helpful during some battles as not all Pokemon in the deserts are immune to it either. I don't really have a favorite desert as I like most of them, but the wind or whatever it is in the Lumiose Badlands can get extremely annoying when you are trying to travel west there, making it my least favorite.
    This is the future we made for ourselves
    But is it really the dream we wanted to live in?

The present has to be treated as precious
    Or we will regret it when it has become the past...

They're OK I guess. It's a nice refreshing change of mechanics, but running into wild Pokemon every 2 seconds and being hurt by sandstorm in battle gets kind of annoying.

I actually liked Hoenns' desert. It was small and easy to navigate... until you need to reach Regi... I forget which one.
    Didn't really enjoy crossing Unovas' desert though.
    Also didn't like the Sandstorm in battles :c

They are a nice addition at least. Its not always gonna be trees and cities so a desert adds a bit of variety where it otherwise seems abundance of nature. <.>
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Source of images

^ Regirock is the one in the Ancient Tomb.

I've always loved the deserts, since they tend to have one of, if not the most awesome, music tracks in the game. Navigating through the sandstorm is kind of frustrating (well, if you're not training a type that doesn't take damage in it/something with Sand Veil) but otherwise it's not too bad of a trek.

...Makes me sad that I'll have to wait until the post-game in Platinum before I'll get to go exploring in its desert area...

Current mono-type: TFL, Round 4
    Game: Black 2 (6/8)

Regions cleared: Johto | Hoenn | Sinnoh | Unova | (More? Let's finish these first~)

I hate Unova's Desert Resort. Sincerely, it's annoying and there's nothing worth there.
    In other games... I really never payed much attention, so I don't care, to be honest.

Hoenn Route 111 - Can't comment because, I admit, I wasn't really in to the games like I am today back during Gen 3.

Desert Resort in Unova - It was alright, not too hard to traverse.

Unova Route 18 - Again, alright. Not difficult at all, to me.

Lumiose Badlands - The only desert route, so far, that annoys me to no end. It's bad enough that the dust clouds move with you, but to top it off, two out of the three Pokemon you can find there have the Arena Trap ability. Those to things combined doses not make that route any easier to cross.

Kalos Route 9 - Kind of disliked it at first, but now it''s not too bad. It might have had something to do with not being used to the controls when riding the Rhyhorn for the first time.

Orre - Again, can't comment, because I don't think I played the game that region is from.
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:

Oh yes, I love the desert regions. Orre for me holds a very special place in my heart for being so visitor hostile and mysterious. I really need to replay Colosseum and XD again.
    Platinum FC: 4254 2191 9237

Call me weird, but I never really cared about the desert regions. XD

I generally like them,especially in Hoenn.The music is just awesome.I don't like Sinnoh Route 228 very much,though,because it has too many Bike obstacles.The same goes for Route 4 in Unova(in Black 2)because it doesn't have the usual "desert" feel like the rest of the areas...

They are ok.... The only one a found really annoying was the desert resort. Mainly because it's a huge spence of land and has sinking sand. You go slower if you use your bicycle on it but you go faster if you run through it. So I press the Y button quite a bit in that section.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

desert resort is terrible AAGGHHHHH
    † I love beautiful women, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you do too.†

~RIP User Four-Twenty April 20, 2014-April 20, 2014~

Always found the deserts to be an interesting change of pace. At the least, something with a bit more attitude then most of the other locales.

All the deserts are good.

I gotta say, I always disliked dessert levels in video games, period. I especially hated the one in Unova, but the one in Hoenn wasn't that bad.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Hate the one in Unova. Absolutely love the desert in Hoenn. Arguably the best desert in the pokemon game universe. The Kalos "desert" is a pretty good one as well, but it always seems to remind me of the Badlands zone from World of Warcraft (which isn't a bad thing to be reminded of, that zone was amazing.).

718/718 Pokemon caught as of 4/13/14
    Pokemon X FC: 2638-0594-6140
    Serebii.net Claims:
    -The Drill Pokemon, Nidoking

I hate deserts so much. The Relic Castle one was terrible.
    ASB | TPC | TCD
    Claimed Typhlosion.

I wasn't a a huge fan of the Relic Castle one either but the one in Hoenn was bearable.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

Quote Originally Posted by Hankka View Post
    I wasn't a a huge fan of the Relic Castle one either but the one in Hoenn was bearable.
    Agreed. Route 111's desert wasn't that long.
    ASB | TPC | TCD
    Claimed Typhlosion.

I'm not so partial about them but they add some diversity, which is nice.
    The one is Hoenn was indeed short, although had few notable points, like Regirock hidden in the South area or the fossils in the northeast {if I'm mistaking, correct me}
    The problem with the one in Unova is that maybe was a wee bit too big...at least there was a doctor healing your wounded pokemon
    Latest awesome shiny ^_^

I like them. I like ground/steel/rock types, so the storm doesn't bother me, and I can catch them.

However, kalos's can freaking burn.
    Yo, fellow Poke' lovers! My favorite is Feraligatr, but I love most pokemon. I've lots of pokemon hatched/caught, are willing to trade some.

Can breed a lot of pokemon, I have POKERUS, lot of HA pokes, PM me if you are willing to trade.

"If you love it enough you can have another because the new Pokemon can never take the sentimental value of the original, but can make new memories to add to the good times"
    -My younger brother

Friend code-1375 7776 2368-Heather

As Ground is my favourite type, and I am a big fan of fossils, I am usually fond of the generation's desert. I remember especially liking Hoenn's, and Sinnoh's was interesting, but strangely located seeing as that "island" is in reality part of Russia. Unova's was cool, but aggravatingly large. The outside, I mean; I did like Relic Castle mostly. The Lentimas Town area is also very cool. I like the desolate style of the town, it's kind of Old Western-ish. As for Kalos... god crossing that thing is annoying. You can't even protect yourself with repels -__- I was also very annoyed when I encountered extra Pokemon trying to explore every part of it, only to find most of the doors were locked. Maybe I'll like it better when it gets expanded for what is presumably the Volcanion event.
        Spoiler:- Friend Safari Information:
    Palaeontologist and proud.
    Soon to become Inconspicuosaurus.

they are really boring. and pokemon seem to appear with more frequence lol

The desert at Route 111 in R/S/E was kind of bland-looking in my opinion, but I liked that GF at least tried adding a new terrain to the games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast