Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 4th Gen Shiny Discussion

Thanks, I enjoyed the Giratina story. I've never caught a shiny via soft reset because I always give up. I have this fear of the target exhausting all its moves and killing itself with Struggle, so I'm not sure if I would have had the patience to avoid using the Master Ball as you did.

I've been enjoying the games since red and blue, and up until about a week ago, I had never found a shiny, excluding gyarados at the lake of rage.

It was in my platinum. I was training my newly caught gible under cycling road, which would eventually be a powerful part of my team, which at the time consisted only of my level 29 Monferno and level 26 Staravia. So I was running through the grass in search of more enemies, when I found myself engaged in battle with a machop. Now, I immediately thought to myself: Hey, that machop looks a little....funny....... Is it maybe.....the color?..... But that means...... No, that's ridiculous......its near impossible.... And then I saw it. That glorious sparkle. That sparkle that every little boy dreams of seeing. I couldn't believe it.

A SHINY MACHOP!!!!!!!!!!

I was amazed and scared at the same time. I was nervous that I was going to kill this glorious freak of nature, and if I did, I would be very, very,VERY pissed off. I withdrew gible and sent out Bronzor (which I had planned on using but quickly found it to be much to difficult) and hit machop with a hypnosis. It began to snooze, and luckily I had just restocked on balls. Pokeballs, mind you. I threw a pokeball, and..... Ahhh, the feeling of success. I added this shining glory to my team.

Haha, that's not all. You think I would make a big story out of a lone shiny? No, this machop is not alone.

THE VERY SAME DAY, I was still training. I encountered a Gligar, seemingly usual. I wasn't looking at the screen at the time of the encounter, and I was, well, a little zoned out. Now, keep in mind I was playing on my 3ds, so the colors were a little muddy. (For those of you who don't know, DS games on the 3ds look bad.) I noticed the Gligar might have a bit of an odd coloration.

I looked on this very website to see what the shiny sprite looked like. At the time, the shiny and normal Gligar sprites looked similar to me. Given the 3ds' graphics and the fact that I had found a shiny earlier that day, I thought there was no way this Gligar was shiny. I was about to finish it off when I decided to catch it anyway, just in case.

I threw a pokeball, and it failed. The Gligar re- emerged, and yet again I saw that glorious sparkle. I exclaimed a large selection of inappropriate words quite loudly to voice my amazement. I put it to sleep with Bronzor's Hypnosis, and caught it on my second attempt.

And thus is the story of my double shiny.
    I have claimed Alduin, the mighty dragon! He shall one day return to bring forth the end of time, and fulfill the prophecy of the world eater.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatGonzales View Post
    I've been enjoying the games since red and blue, and up until about a week ago, I had never found a shiny, excluding gyarados at the lake of rage.

It was in my platinum. I was training my newly caught gible under cycling road, which would eventually be a powerful part of my team, which at the time consisted only of my level 29 Monferno and level 26 Staravia. So I was running through the grass in search of more enemies, when I found myself engaged in battle with a machop. Now, I immediately thought to myself: Hey, that machop looks a little....funny....... Is it maybe.....the color?..... But that means...... No, that's ridiculous......its near impossible.... And then I saw it. That glorious sparkle. That sparkle that every little boy dreams of seeing. I couldn't believe it.

A SHINY MACHOP!!!!!!!!!!

I was amazed and scared at the same time. I was nervous that I was going to kill this glorious freak of nature, and if I did, I would be very, very,VERY pissed off. I withdrew gible and sent out Bronzor (which I had planned on using but quickly found it to be much to difficult) and hit machop with a hypnosis. It began to snooze, and luckily I had just restocked on balls. Pokeballs, mind you. I threw a pokeball, and..... Ahhh, the feeling of success. I added this shining glory to my team.

Haha, that's not all. You think I would make a big story out of a lone shiny? No, this machop is not alone.

THE VERY SAME DAY, I was still training. I encountered a Gligar, seemingly usual. I wasn't looking at the screen at the time of the encounter, and I was, well, a little zoned out. Now, keep in mind I was playing on my 3ds, so the colors were a little muddy. (For those of you who don't know, DS games on the 3ds look bad.) I noticed the Gligar might have a bit of an odd coloration.

I looked on this very website to see what the shiny sprite looked like. At the time, the shiny and normal Gligar sprites looked similar to me. Given the 3ds' graphics and the fact that I had found a shiny earlier that day, I thought there was no way this Gligar was shiny. I was about to finish it off when I decided to catch it anyway, just in case.

I threw a pokeball, and it failed. The Gligar re- emerged, and yet again I saw that glorious sparkle. I exclaimed a large selection of inappropriate words quite loudly to voice my amazement. I put it to sleep with Bronzor's Hypnosis, and caught it on my second attempt.

And thus is the story of my double shiny.
    That is an awesome story. Lucky you didn't kill that Gligar, I think it has a nice shiny sprite. (though apparently not so much on a 3DS) congrats!

and thanks for relaxing the rules here as well Bill =) Am I right in assuming it's relaxed enough to allow posts of encouragement as long as we don't get out of hand / post one-liners?
    Pearl BQ: 1.2.3.4.
    SS BQ: 1.2.3.4.

120726-090522.jpg
    I can't get over it.

Black 2 team

Soul Silver Team

- Under Construction-

Spoiler:- tumblr:

okay, i evolved my new shiny chikorita into bayleef. it will be a meganium soon enough. pics coming soon

Spoiler:- Y Badge Quest:

Quote Originally Posted by JohnNiles View Post
    Thanks, I enjoyed the Giratina story. I've never caught a shiny via soft reset because I always give up. I have this fear of the target exhausting all its moves and killing itself with Struggle, so I'm not sure if I would have had the patience to avoid using the Master Ball as you did.
    Oh, thank you! It was really freaking me out at the end, let me tell you. I wasn't even aware at the time that Giratina has very little total PP, so I am sort of glad I didn't know that as it would have wound me up even further.

Congratulations GreatGonzales on those two shinies. Gligar is such a cool Pokemon, and yes, I know what you mean about the 3DS graphics being different ... it's a little hard to adjust to. Also, they stuffed up Gligar's colour in Platinum, I believe, so it's no wonder you really were confused about it. Lucky you had that notion that it might possibly be shiny and not just plough through it with some powerful attack or something.

And congrats on that Ursaring, MaidensGhost! Were you random encountering for it, or was it just a lucky fluke?
    Last edited by Kyle Clarthy; 27th July 2012 at 9:00 AM.

Friend Codes:
    5456 0313 8777 - Water Safari: Octillery, Floatzel, Frogadier
    0146 9781 1948 - Fairy Safari: Kirlia, Floette, Swirlix

Wow - I'm having a brief attack of luck. After only 913 encounters my 4th Platinum Badge Quest shiny has appeared...

And it's a shiny Budew! n_n

I'm really happy it was Budew that decided to shine, since Roselia is a shiny I've always wanted - I spent ages hunting for one in Ruby/Sapphire (and found many other shinies during said hunts; Zigzagoon, Volbeat and 2 Illumise), and hatched over 1000 eggs for it in Pearl.

I hope the rest of the BQ shinies appear just as quickly.

And here's how my other 4th gen hunts are going:
    Heart Gold: Badge Quest/Lapras - 5200 soft resets
    Soul Silver: Headbutt - 13,885 encounters

Good luck everyone! ^_^

My shiny Pokemon pictures ~~ My shiny Pokemon videos
    AC:NL - Helen from Starlite ~
    3DS 1 FC: 2208-4574-2359 ~ 3DS 2 FC: 0834-1721-4212
    Newest shiny: Oshawott - 23rd October 2014 (Y - 1303 eggs)

Hey everyone =) I was expecting my Giratina hunt to go over the odds since my Platinum game trolled me with a 10.5 month long Piplup hunt, but after 7215 resets I have a shiny Giratina!

[img]http://i47.*******.com/25iynut.jpg[/img]

I really wanted to catch it without my Master Ball, but when it got down to 2 PP (after escaping from 2 Premier Balls, 15 Dusk Balls, and 10 Timer Balls) I ended up just throwing the Master Ball.

It has an Impish nature, and I'll be calling it Sombra ("shadow" in Spanish, I think it sounds elegant... plus my shiny Zapdos from Soul Silver, which was leading my party, has a Spanish name).

Next up in Platinum is Palkia, which is probably my favorite Sinnoh legendary =) Congrats to Helio on your Budew, and good luck to everyone on your hunts!
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2r40gt0.png[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/j0wppv.jpg[/IMG]
    ~Shiny Card~
    If You're Interested in Shiny Hunting, Check Out Shiny Hunters United!

I went on a mudkip masuda method a few nights ago on 7/26/2012 and after 59 eggs IT SHINIED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My first shiny since Febuary which was a shiny deino after 107 eggs on White! So yeah i'll post pictures of Fusho my shiny mudkip later on. He has a quiet nature often dozes off, but I don't care xD Special attacking swampert here I come lol xD Pictures coming soon!

my xat avvie (c) me
    {~Friend Safari : GHOST : Pumpkaboo | Golurk | Lampent~}
    {~Total self-caught shinies: 92~} {~Most recent shiny : shiny Heatran(OR SR)~}
    {~3DS FC : 4012-3813-9306 IGN Emii(Y version/OR version)~}

Join TEF in the Guild section! Click here!

Nice good shinies! Love the Giratina so much.

I am at 14,925 starters seen now...shine soon, please?
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

Spoiler:- Current Hunts:

4 days ago I started my very first soft reset hunt for shiny Giratina, so far I'm up to 1658 resets. I hope to be able to add Giratina to my list of shinnies soon! But are there any trips that you guys can give a N00b shiny hunter that would keep her from getting discouraged?

^Never give up. You can put a hunt on hold for a few months or so, but always finish what you've started. It works a lot of the time. Also, have a calculator on hand, and go on Youtube and watch shiny hunters videos. For example:

shinyhunterzach
    pokewaf
    PureSkill740

And a ton of others. They really help you out. If you have a YT account, sub to them, as it helps you out a bit when looking for videos.

Anyways, over 15,300 Starters seen now, after nabbing over 153 SRs today. Doing nicely!
    Yveltal, the Destruction Pokémon: "When its life comes to an end, it absorbs the life energy of every living thing and turns into a cocoon once more."

I'm thinking about starting a Masouda Method Shiny something. Lucario? No. It is one of the few times Lucario isn 't the best. Maybe an Eevee, so that I can get a Shiny Umbreon. So, I'm gonna start it when I get back home, and will try to update at least once each 3 days.

EDIT: Forgot to ask: Anyone has got a good place for egg-hatching? I kinda like Cycling Road, but in HG (where I will hunt) it isn 't this good. I also go a lot to that route right next to the Day-Care, so I can hold one more egg and don 't need to waste space with my Time-Traveler Dragonite (I call it this way because I got it in the GTS and the year of catch was set to 2062. I know how it really happened, yet I like dreaming about, someday, he taking me into a time-travel)
    Last edited by Pokémon Trainer Xande; 28th July 2012 at 9:53 PM.

Eeveelover824 made this awesome banner

I am back to Pokémon/Serebiiforums. If you had any business with me before my long time outside Serebiiforums, let me know by a Private Message

HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot believe my eyes. I Have finally found a shiny starter, and it happens to be a Chikorita!

I absolutely cannot believe it!!!! I must thank cocoadragon and dan2point5 for the inspiration and motivation. You two have helped me so much, I couldn't have got this without you two, thank you! It appeared after 15,552 Starters seen and 5,184 SRs! I cannot believe it at all! I don't mind it being Chikorita! Longest hunt is over!

Quote Originally Posted by FullmetalPikachu View Post
    4 days ago I started my very first soft reset hunt for shiny Giratina, so far I'm up to 1658 resets. I hope to be able to add Giratina to my list of shinnies soon! But are there any trips that you guys can give a N00b shiny hunter that would keep her from getting discouraged?
    Good luck with that hunt, FullmetalPikachu! You've already made a fair bit of progress, so keep at it! I find it easier when I hunt to make sure I'm doing something else at the same time, whether it be listening to my ipod, watching TV/DVDs, or surfing the net. And yeah, like AquaRegisteel said, watching youtube videos of shiny hunters, especially the "live" variety, really helps, because you never know when they're going to show on the video, and when they do, you can't help but feel that infectious excitement. It's very encouraging.

Budew looks brilliant, Helio. Nice and quick hunt there for you.

Awesome job there, Rykerr! Your pics do Giratina much more justice than my 3DS ones ever would!

Congratulations to Lavaburst on their Mudkip ... very nice shiny there!

And congrats to AquaRegisteel for finally finding that Chikorita! Did you have a Chikorita before that? Will you hunt for one again?

Also, good luck to everyone hunting!

I'm just leveling up my shiny Pokes at the moment to 65, because I don't think the traded ones will obey me in HG if they get any higher. Nothing really exciting to report.
    Last edited by Kyle Clarthy; 29th July 2012 at 1:37 AM.

Friend Codes:
    5456 0313 8777 - Water Safari: Octillery, Floatzel, Frogadier
    0146 9781 1948 - Fairy Safari: Kirlia, Floette, Swirlix

Zane Clarthy and AquaRegisteel I wanna thank both of you for the suggestions. I think I'm going to try the watching youtube videos!

And just a small update on my shiny Giratina hunt, I just hit 2000 resets this morning at breakfast. I'm hoping it would shiny on 3000, only because I like the number 3 :D

Quote Originally Posted by Zane Clarthy View Post
    And congrats to AquaRegisteel for finally finding that Chikorita! Did you have a Chikorita before that? Will you hunt for one again?

Also, good luck to everyone hunting!
    I will hunt for the other two starters, but a second Chikorita would be perfectly OK ^_^

Also, here's the images of it!:

Spoiler:- Photos here!:
    Last edited by AquaRegisteel; 29th July 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Nice to see this thread gets more active!

I got a new 4th gen shiny too... yeah. After only 2,734 REs PLUS 10k I did in the past.

- Encounter -
    - Data -

Probably will just name him Pokey My next hunt after this is in fifth gen in Mistralton Cave, hoping for... What do ppl usually want when they come to this cave? Definitely not for Woobat or Boldore.
    My luck has been good at getting all my RE targets shone so I hope I'll get what I want it. I don't mind another Woobat (I've got 2 already) as it is my fave pokemon, or getting my first Boldore. So yeah.

Congrats Aqua on your pretty Chikorita, 5k+ is still fair, hope to see more shinies from you.
    Congrats on other new shinies before and after me.

Rock this thread guys!
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

just got 5th shiny of my SS BQ after 1055 SR
    here he is [IMG]http://i48.*******.com/uo64h.jpg[/IMG]
    GLASSTHEDRAGON
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Current Hunt:
    8,400 SRs
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Other Hunts
    2123 REs

Nice Lapras there! Congrats again =P

Still going for 2,000 REs today, just hit 1,800 REs.

Wow. Congrats, cocoadragon. I'm up to 6500+ soft resets for shiny Lapras in my own Heart Gold Badge Quest. What nature does yours have?

Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    Wow. Congrats, cocoadragon. I'm up to 6500+ soft resets for shiny Lapras in my own Heart Gold Badge Quest. What nature does yours have?
    sorry your hunts so long i hope it shines soon its bashful

bashful nature was hoping for something that raises sp+ and doesnt lower speed nature but i got bashful a neutral nature the lapras wascompletely unexpected tho so i cant complain and i also wanted water absorb as ability well u dont always get what u want it looks great tho u can definitely tell the difference when u see it sliding across the screen

now im hunting magnemite at 500 REs

[IMG]http://i47.*******.com/1g5gnp.jpg[/IMG]
    Last edited by cocoadragon; 30th July 2012 at 9:51 PM.
    GLASSTHEDRAGON
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Current Hunt:
    8,400 SRs
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Other Hunts
    2123 REs

Can't believe I haven't posted in the 4th Gen thread for so long...Congrats Zane, GreatGonzales, MaidensGhost, Helio, rykerr, lavaburst14, AquaRegisteel, Cutty, cocoadragon and many more on getting your shinies!

After taking a break from my 5th Gen hunts for a bit I've gone back to SRing for Groudon on Soulsilver, and I'm at 940 SRs now. I don't have a Master Ball left since I used it on Ho-oh, so I hope I'll be able to catch him okay with all the other balls I have and my False Swiper. I'd hate to accidentally faint him XO.

Good luck everyone on your hunts! :3
    ~Graoo!~

~Mightyena lover and Shiny Hunter~

[Pokemon Y Friend Safari: Fire--- Magmar, Larvesta and Braxien]

I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what's a Badge Quest?

Quote Originally Posted by cocoadragon View Post
    sorry your hunts so long i hope it shines soon its bashful

bashful nature was hoping for something that raises sp+ and doesnt lower speed nature but i got bashful a neutral nature the lapras wascompletely unexpected tho so i cant complain and i also wanted water absorb as ability well u dont always get what u want it looks great tho u can definitely tell the difference when u see it sliding across the screen

now im hunting magnemite at 500 REs

[IMG]http://i47.*******.com/1g5gnp.jpg[/IMG]

Well I've had loads of shinies lately (especially on this BQ) that haven't taken that many SR/encounters, so I was bound to get a longish hunt sooner or later. I'm hoping for a Calm natured one. I'm now at 6700+ soft resets. Good luck with Magnemite. ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by FullmetalPikachu View Post
    I hope this isn't a stupid question, but what's a Badge Quest?
    It's where you catch a shiny before getting each gym badge.

Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 10161718192021222324 ... LastLast