Thread: Sequelshipping (Mei/Hyuu | BW2 heroine/rival) [SPOILERS WITHIN]

Default Sequelshipping (Mei/Hugh | BW2 heroine/rival) [SPOILERS WITHIN]

Before we go any further, since BW2 has a ways to go before an English release:

THERE WILL BE SPOILERS FOR BLACK 2 AND WHITE 2 IN THIS THREAD. LOTS OF THEM. IF THIS IS NOT OKAY WITH YOU, TURN BACK NOW.

And for the rest of you? Welcome to my newest beloved protag/rival ship.

[Edited 6/29/2012: Hyuu is now Hugh, which makes sense to me. Ergo, I have edited the initial post to reflect this!]

So, with that out of the way, let's go over the basic things you need to know, but probably already know anyway.

Sequelshipping, as I heard it's now called, is the ship for Mei/Hugh from Black 2 and White 2.

Mei: The playable heroine from Black 2 and White 2. A girl from Aspertia Town, entrusted by Professor Juniper (via Bianca, of course!) with a starter Pokemon and a Pokedex. Standard-issue silent protagonist, but most people seem to imagine her as very sweet, perky, and expressive.

Hugh: The protagonist's childhood friend, who has the starter Pokemon with the type advantage to yours. He has a bit of a temper in the right circumstances, but is very humble otherwise. He does get very passionate about things he cares about... alternatively, he might also start to hate things with a passion, as he does Team Plasma, so it's a bit of a double-edged sword. He battles you twice early in the game, being the token rival character, but not much after that, since his focus shifts off of friendly competition. Also, he's not a douchebag! And he has a little sister he'd do absolutely anything for.

RULES TO LIVE BY

1. SPPf rules apply, blah blah... in fact, they probably supercede any rules I lay down in the event something isn't covered here. Long story short, just use your head.
    2. With the above comes the rule about bashing: don't do it. Not this ship, not other ships, not any characters, none at all. I don't care if they're completely unrelated to the topic at all, just... don't. This also applies to individual users as well as other ships/characters.
    3. Put effort into your posts. It's impossible to contribute much of anything to any discussion with an insubstantial one-liner or vague, noncommittal agreement with something someone else said, you know? I encourage the use of one's gray matter at any given time!
    4. Posting links to relevant material is cool by me, even if it's your own. I'm not super strict about advertising fanwork and all, but... at least try to make it seem like you're not only posting to plug your own stuff? And if you did not write or draw the work you're linking to, credit the person who did. Link back if it's a fanart from Pixiv, especially.
    5. On the subject of relevance: keep it that way. Ideally, all posts in this thread will relate to the ship, peripherally at bare minimum.
    6. Try to keep the topics and questions... semi-relevant? I mean, I'm not going to micromanage what you can and can't discuss in the way of what-ifs and ideas and such, but again, here's the part where I encourage you to think about what you're posting. This is becoming a recurring theme, isn't it?
    7. Since the games aren't out in English yet, feel free to ask questions and make speculations if you want. I've been playing in Japanese and getting the gist of the dialogue from what knowledge I have of it, but feel free to ask or contribute info as well.

I'll be keeping a members list, but I may need to be pestered to update it every now and then. Bear with me, I'm new at being a thread starter.

MEMBERS LIST

Spoiler:- :

I'll put up some relevant links for searching for fanart and such later. For now, have an inaugural topic!

Q: What intrigues you about/attracts you to this ship? Why do you like it so far, or why do you think you'll like it?
    Last edited by Kaiserin; 29th June 2012 at 8:33 PM.

SHINY RAINBOWS BECKON YOU TO THE ARTIST'S CORNER

Trainer Name: Misha
    3DS FC: 5112-3720-5938
    Friend Safari: Fighting; Pancham, Machoke, Hariyama

Omg yay, a thread for Sequelshipping! <3

What intrigues you about/attracts you to this ship? Why do you like it so far, or why do you think you'll like it?

Well from what I know of the rival so far, and based on fan interpretation of the main heroine, the ship has potential to be a very sweet one. I've always viewed Hyu to be somewhat of a tsundere character and the idea of him crushing on the adorable Mei is just so...askldfj. Plus I've seen some Pixiv art/comics that absolutely sold me on this ship haha.

Regarding the games though, well, I can't really say much since 1) I can't read Japanese and 2) I'm barely halfway through it (4th gym...). Canon-wise it still seems very sweet. You can tell Hyu and Mei are very close since they are childhood friends, and Hyu trusts her (or at least I think so?). If only I knew what they were talking about though. I can't wait until the US release. ;-;

Anyway yeah. Consider me a full-fledged supporter~!

Hooray, first member! Haha, I'm not really expecting to get a lot of members immediately, especially since people want to avoid spoilers or don't know much about the ship yet, but I'm happy at least someone else is on board with this. C:

I feel the same way as you, though. I'm already head over heels for this one because of the difference in dynamic it has from the other protag/rival ships -- the competitive spin that the others had is much less heavily emphasized, and instead the draw of the relationship to me is that Hyuu talks a lot about "relying on" the protagonist. The whole friendship seems to center less around friendly competition and more around trust and actually being friends in a more classical sense. He states from very early on in the game that, even though they're technically rivals, he wants to rely on her and be relied upon by her. So needless to say, I was sold pretty quickly. (And it didn't help that in the trailer he was just boytouching Kyouhei to delicious extents, so I imagine that would extend to Mei too...)

And also, I get the feeling the big brother instinct on Hyuu's part would make this tooth-rottingly adorable, regardless of what Mei's personality is. I'll go on a fanart hunt in a bit, so maybe I can pull some other people over to the Dark Side. |D

I actually can't decide between VisorShipping and SequelShipping, but... hey, CHILDHOOD FRIENDS FTW! *shot* Anyway...

What intrigues you about/attracts you to this ship? Why do you like it so far, or why do you think you'll like it?

Well, first of all, they're childhood friends, which automatically confirms that they have known each other for quite a while. And the idea of childhood friends getting together is simply adorable to me, because, well, it's as if they were destined for each other. (>////<) And as Yuppirox said, Hyuu/Hue seems, looks, and sounds like a total Tsundere to me as well, so it would be funny if Hyuu did have a crush on Mei, so yeah. Because, Tsundere is awesome when under the right circumstances.

I haven't got the Japanese copies yet, so I have to wait till November (it WILL come in November, just look at Harvest Moon: Tale of Two Towns, they said that it was coming in the second quarter of 2012 to the UK and it's coming on the 29th of June >_<) to get my copy. So right now, I'm judging on the fact that 1) they're childhood friends 2) Hyuu being a Tsundere and 3) the two of them looking quite cute together, so I can't exactly judge on their interactions and stuff like that yet, which is admittedly annoying. But since they seem more like friends than actual rivals, I think this has potential. =D

Well Hyu for one thing. XDD He seems so mysterious..but you turn out to be childhood friends? That's adorabe. X3 Though, I will admit I'm also fond of the Male Counterpart x Hyu. XDDD; I don't know much about this ship as I have yet to play B2W2, but I'd love to join this thread.

“...This is a tricky problem, huh. I really, really want to see the other Heroes... and if it works out, I want to make friends with them! If I made friends with six Heroes, I’d be an awesome mage! We could even conquer the world!”
    -Flatt Escardos, Fate Strange Fake
    3DS Friend Code: 1306-5187-6204
    tumblr|fanfiction

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserin View Post
    ...instead the draw of the relationship to me is that Hyuu talks a lot about "relying on" the protagonist. The whole friendship seems to center less around friendly competition and more around trust and actually being friends in a more classical sense. He states from very early on in the game that, even though they're technically rivals, he wants to rely on her and be relied upon by her. So needless to say, I was sold pretty quickly. (And it didn't help that in the trailer he was just boytouching Kyouhei to delicious extents, so I imagine that would extend to Mei too...)
    Oh really? So he wants her to rely on him as he relies on her... That sounds really cute actually. Now I get this image of two friends with a strong bond built around trust and reliability, and I can't help but love it even more. This ship is already on a whole different level than other heroine/rival ships and that makes me glad. (:

And also, I get the feeling the big brother instinct on Hyuu's part would make this tooth-rottingly adorable, regardless of what Mei's personality is. I'll go on a fanart hunt in a bit, so maybe I can pull some other people over to the Dark Side. |D
    YES, oh gosh now I'm imagining Hyu being overprotective of Mei and shooing off other guys who he deems as harmful or not trustworthy. xD She seems like such an innocent type of character too so it works splendidly.

Speaking of fanart:

http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=28224080 <- These are so adorable >w<
    http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...st_id=28212723
    http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.p...7864482&page=5 <- This one made me fall in love with the whole "Hyu is actually innocent and mildly tsundere" idea haha

Quote Originally Posted by 00poke_maniac View Post

Well Hyu for one thing. XDD He seems so mysterious..but you turn out to be childhood friends? That's adorabe. X3 Though, I will admit I'm also fond of the Male Counterpart x Hyu. XDDD; I don't know much about this ship as I have yet to play B2W2, but I'd love to join this thread.
    I thought that based on his design and the way he was promoted in the trailer, too. I was so prepared to be indifferent about Hyuu, but then he turned out to be a total sweetie, so... I was already too far gone. XD I admit Kyouhei/Hyuu is equally adorable, if only since Hyuu was pretty boytouchy with him in the trailer... but I think I like Mei a tiny bit better, if only because of the oniichan complex factor. I guess.

Which is not something I would normally go for, but... but...! ;w;

Quote Originally Posted by Yuppirox View Post
    Oh really? So he wants her to rely on him as he relies on her... That sounds really cute actually. Now I get this image of two friends with a strong bond built around trust and reliability, and I can't help but love it even more. This ship is already on a whole different level than other heroine/rival ships and that makes me glad. (:
    I guess you do battle him more as the game progresses, but for a certain period, you go a good long time without battling against him at all. And you seem to double battle alongside him (or for him) almost as much as you battle him directly in the game -- it's already happened at least twice at the point I'm at.

YES, oh gosh now I'm imagining Hyu being overprotective of Mei and shooing off other guys who he deems as harmful or not trustworthy. xD She seems like such an innocent type of character too so it works splendidly.
    Oh my god yes. He's such a great big brother to his real sister, and a lot of his motivation relates indirectly to the fact that he's so devoted to her -- he wants to get back her Purrloin that Plasma stole five years ago; all together now, awwwwwwww -- and although I'm pretty equal-opportunity when it comes to rival/protag ships, I just like the idea of him being able to wrestle with the big brother mentality and the "oh god... female childhood friend..." part, too.

For anyone who wants to surf around Pixiv, here's the relevant tag. If it doesn't work, just put ヒュウメイ into the search box. There is a bit of R-18 stuff mixed in if you don't have the filter on, but I'll assume anyone who looks here is mature enough to handle that. C:

Hi guys! I want to be a member here cause I'm kind of hooked to this shipping, I just wanted to post my story, if you won't mind! Here it is!
    http://www.fanfiction.net/s/8434336/1/One-Last-Thing
    Well...I hope you like the fanfiction I wrote

So this is the newest iteration of the classic main girlxrival ship, might be worth keeping an eye on it.

Closing cause hai there two month bump.

So long, best friend; Bryony Sarah White: 28/6/87 - 29/6/13
    Ships I've NamedTwitter