Thread: Gary Oak is Back in Black for Unova...

Default Gary Oak is Back in Black for Unova...

...and so am I.

Spoiler:- Just so I don't get infracted for foul language:

Yeahman.

Anyway, this is a team I've put together as a sort of dream lineup for Gary in Unova. I took his anime team, threw stuff in that fit over his old pokemon, and then lost the plot halfway through and just put together some decent synergy shiz. Blame TBR for this. And the above demot.

Oh yeah, and just because this is a Gary team, I'm doing perfected EVs. For the most part. Kind of. Maybe.

Right. Team.

Accelgor @ Choice Specs
    Nature: Rash
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Ability: Sticky Hold
    - Bug Buzz
    - HP Ground
    - Energy Ball / Giga Drain
    - U-Turn

Yeah... Accelgor is where I started losing the plot for this team, but anyway. Simple SpecsGor, Bug Buzz for STAB, HP Ground > Fighting / Focus Blast because it has better coverage overall and doesn't suck on the accuracy front. Energy Ball just because it has no other options besides Sludge Bomb, though Giga Drain could work to heal off some damage. U-Turn for scouting. Rash nature for + SpA without -Atk or Spe, and less weakness to priority moves than Mild. I half considered running Quiet, just for the hell of it, since Max Speed Quiet still ties with Max Speed Base 110's on this thing, lol. I guess it can take Dodrio's old place.

Emboar @ Leftovers
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
    Ability: Blaze
    - Flame Charge
    - Brick Break
    - Flamethrower
    - HP Grass

Emboar because Gary always, always picks the starter with a type advantage over the most common one. Since Serperior is the most common (Ash even has a Snivy now, fgs), Emboar would be Gary's pick. Nitro Charge (sounds cooler than Flame Charge) helps as an increase to Emboar's lackluster speed. I don't remember how fast this spread gets it, and I don't particularly care. Brick Break for special walls, while Flamethrower and HP Grass suffice for coverage. Shame the piggeh is so outclassed. Oh, and Leftovers for taking advantage of Emboar's excellent HP stat (Hits 330 even with no investment).

Krookodile @ Leftovers
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 84 Hp / 184 Atk / 240 Spe
    Ability: Intimidate
    - Earthquake
    - Crunch
    - Brick Break
    - Bulk Up

Krookodile is an example of a Pokemon that can become quite dangrous after a turn or two of setup. Bulk Up combined with its decent defenses allows it to act as a bulky sweeper. 184 Atk hits 316 Atk, enough to be dangerous following a Bulk Up with enough to still cause dents beforehand. 84 Hp is a Lefties number, and 240 Speed is enough to outpace + Natured Base 90's. Earthquake + Crunch + Brick Break gets excellent coverage and Dual STABs. Leftovers for healing. It takes Nidoking's old spot. Gigalith is a possible alternative, taking Golem's old place, to give me a Flying-type resist. Not likely, though.

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
    Ability: Lightningrod
    - Thunderbolt
    - Overheat
    - HP Ice
    - Wild Charge

Zebstrika for yaaaaay new E-Vire. Max SpA and Speed, Rash for less damage from priority, Life Orb for more power, Moveset for maximum coverage. Wild Charge to take advantage of Physical STAB and Zeb's nice Attack stat. Lightningrod > Motor Drive b/c nothing is faster than Base 100 in-game anyway, so it'd be a waste.

Sawsbuck @ Leftovers
    EVs: 76 Hp / 216 Atk / 216 Spe
    Ability: Sap Sipper
    - Wood Horn
    - Jump Kick
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed

Bambi <3 Simple SubSeed Sawsbuck replaces Arcanine. 76 Hp EVs is a Lefties and Leech Seed number, 216 Speed EVs outpaces +Natured Base 90's. Shiny Winter Forme just because I can, and because it's the best, imo.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 240 Hp / 252 Def / 16 SpA
    Ability: Water Absorb
    - Scald
    - Shadow Ball
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp / Toxic

Typical. Jellicent has no place whatsoever in a Gary team, but I ran out of ideas, ok? Scald + Shadow Ball for coverage and STAB. Recover for healing. WOW for the wow factor ofc and status for ease of capture. Toxic is a possible addition over WOW since Scald already burns. 240 Hp EVs is lefties +1. 252 Def for max bulk, the rest in Special Attack for a little more oomph.

Yeah, that's my crappy GARY MOTHERF*CKING OAK team. I'm back now. Be happy, dang it.

Thanks to Veekun for the sprites.

Fire away, guys.
    Last edited by Eon Master; 1st March 2011 at 8:31 PM.
    "Archer, you've decided? You'll really kill him, no matter what?"
    "Go on, escape from here. I'm not going to allow you to cry anymore."

Accelgor can run Giga Drain > Energy Ball; the loss of power is minimal, while the recovery would be a blessing for one so weak.

Consider HP[Grass] > Grass Knot on Emboar; there's a lot of light Water Pokemon in Unova, unfortunately. It's just consistently better here.

Crunch > Foul Play; there's no reason why a Pokemon with a good base Atk stat an Atk-boosting move would use a STAB that is wholly dependent upon its enemy's Atk stat.

Wouldn't Jellicent want to have 240 HP EVs? Meh, I suppose it doesn't matter...

You're a bit Flying weak yay for not being helpful!. Yeah...yay.
    Thinking about posting a team in the 5th Gen IGRMT sub-forum? Be sure to read the rules before proceeding. Are you looking to have only one Pokemon rated? Then check out our Single Rate Thread for movesets and help. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech View Post
    Accelgor can run Giga Drain > Energy Ball; the loss of power is minimal, while the recovery would be a blessing for one so weak.
    Noted, I'll consider it. I could just use Sawsbuck's Leech Seed to heal anything, but yeah.

Consider HP[Grass] > Grass Knot on Emboar; there's a lot of light Water Pokemon in Unova, unfortunately. It's just consistently better here.
    Meh. Done.

Crunch > Foul Play; there's no reason why a Pokemon with a good base Atk stat an Atk-boosting move would use a STAB that is wholly dependent upon its enemy's Atk stat.
    Crunch's BP is 80. Foul Play's is 95, and it gets boosted by opposing attack boosts.

EDIT: Ah crap, I forgot it was based on the opponent's attack stat. You're right, in that case. This is why I need to double-check my facts carefully when I do this.

Wouldn't Jellicent want to have 240 HP EVs? Meh, I suppose it doesn't matter...
    Nah. Not a lefties number.

You're a bit Flying weak yay for not being helpful!. Yeah...yay.
    Argh, Flying. Knew I was missing something. Ah well.

You could replace someone with Gigalith to give you
    a flying resist, he could be the new Golem.

Gigalith @ Leftovers
    Careful Nature
    252 HP/252 SpD/6 Atk
    ~ Curse
    ~ Explosion
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Rock Slide

Cool team, I like the idea ^^

Pc+1

^Click it!^

So if:

Emboar = Blastoise
    Accelgor = Dodrio
    Zebstrika = Electivire
    Krookodile = Nidoking
    Sawsbuck = Arcanine
    Jellicent = Whatever

Where are Umbreon and Scizor?

Anyways, onto the rate.

Scald is an option on Emboar. It gets a water move, use it. (Not to sound pushy or anything.) Rock Slide also is good on 'Dile so it gives a bit of coverage. Also, since you have Scald and WOW (which probably conflict, you can use Toxic) you can have Hex on Jellicent. Pretty nice team, and so other people don't bash me, flying weak.

^I already pointed out the Flying weakness lol.

@Eon: 240 HP EVs would be Lefties +1.
    Thinking about posting a team in the 5th Gen IGRMT sub-forum? Be sure to read the rules before proceeding. Are you looking to have only one Pokemon rated? Then check out our Single Rate Thread for movesets and help. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shuckle
    You could replace someone with Gigalith to give you
    a flying resist, he could be the new Golem.

Gigalith @ Leftovers
    Careful Nature
    252 HP/252 SpD/6 Atk
    ~ Curse
    ~ Explosion
    ~ Earthquake
    ~ Rock Slide

Cool team, I like the idea ^^

Pc+1
    Ehh, yeah, but who would I replace? Only one that really fits is Krookodile, and I don't wanna ;_;

Eh. It's up for consideration, I'll keep it in reserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Gyara
    So if:

Emboar = Blastoise
    Accelgor = Dodrio
    Zebstrika = Electivire
    Krookodile = Nidoking
    Sawsbuck = Arcanine
    Jellicent = Whatever

Where are Umbreon and Scizor?
    I suppose Jellicent could be Umbreon, but comparing the two would be like comparing a water balloon to a hand grenade, such is the difference in awesomeness. And I hate Gary's Scizor.

Scald is an option on Emboar. It gets a water move, use it. (Not to sound pushy or anything.)
    And lack a move to hit opposing Water-types? No thanks.

Rock Slide also is good on 'Dile so it gives a bit of coverage.
    Normally yeah, but it's pretty redundant with both Crunch and Brick Break on the set. And with BB it's not walled by Breloom, lol. Just preference.

Also, since you have Scald and WOW (which probably conflict, you can use Toxic) you can have Hex on Jellicent.
    With Hex, the need for an opponent to be statused is a letdown, an annoyance, and makes it generally inferior to Shadow Ball. I don't know why Aurawarrior8 popluarized it, but I plan on undoing that damage whenever possible. Toxic is passible.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerech
    @Eon: 240 HP EVs would be Lefties +1.
    Ehh, right. Sorry, this was kinda hasty. Like, over the course of an hour talking with TBR on Mibbit hasty, lol.

I'll edit the first post later.

@ Kerech: That was the point of the joke.

@ Eon: I meant you can have Scald over Flame Charge. And I guess you can make Accelgor Umbreon as it is the "counterpart" to Escavalier as Umbreon is to Espeon.

Quote Originally Posted by Eon Master View Post
    ...and so am I.

Spoiler:- Just so I don't get infracted for foul language:

Yeahman.

Anyway, this is a team I've put together as a sort of dream lineup for Gary in Unova. I took his anime team, threw stuff in that fit over his old pokemon, and then lost the plot halfway through and just put together some decent synergy shiz. Blame TBR for this. And the above demot.

Oh yeah, and just because this is a Gary team, I'm doing perfected EVs. For the most part. Kind of. Maybe.

Right. Team.

Accelgor @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Sticky Hold
    - Bug Buzz
    - HP Ground
    - Energy Ball / Giga Drain
    - U-Turn

Yeah... Accelgor is where I started losing the plot for this team, but anyway. Simple SpecsGor, Bug Buzz for STAB, HP Ground > Fighting / Focus Blast because it has better coverage overall and doesn't suck on the accuracy front. Energy Ball just because it has no other options besides Sludge Bomb, though Giga Drain could work to heal off some damage. U-Turn for scouting. Rash nature for + SpA without -Atk or Spe, and less weakness to priority moves than Mild. I half considered running Quiet, just for the hell of it, since Max Speed Quiet still ties with Max Speed Base 110's on this thing, lol. I guess it can take Dodrio's old place.

Emboar @ Leftovers
    Nature: Naive
    EVs: 40 Atk / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
    Ability: Blaze
    - Flame Charge
    - Brick Break
    - Flamethrower
    - Grass knot/Wild Charge

Emboar because Gary always, always picks the starter with a type advantage over the most common one. Since Serperior is the most common (Ash even has a Snivy now, fgs), Emboar would be Gary's pick. Nitro Charge (sounds cooler than Flame Charge) helps as an increase to Emboar's lackluster speed. I don't remember how fast this spread gets it, and I don't particularly care. Brick Break for special walls, while Flamethrower and HP Grass suffice for coverage. Shame the piggeh is so outclassed. Oh, and Leftovers for taking advantage of Emboar's excellent HP stat (Hits 330 even with no investment). You should stick with grass knot or use wild charge because HP grass will take a long time to get.

Krookodile @ Leftovers
    EVs: 84 Hp / 184 Atk / 240 Spe
    Ability: Intimidate
    - Earthquake
    - Crunch
    - Brick Break/Rock slide
    - Bulk Up

Krookodile is an example of a Pokemon that can become quite dangrous after a turn or two of setup. Bulk Up combined with its decent defenses allows it to act as a bulky sweeper. 184 Atk hits 316 Atk, enough to be dangerous following a Bulk Up with enough to still cause dents beforehand. 84 Hp is a Lefties number, and 240 Speed is enough to outpace + Natured Base 90's. Earthquake + Crunch + Brick Break gets excellent coverage and Dual STABs. Leftovers for healing. It takes Nidoking's old spot. Rock Slide is another choice over Brick Break so that you can get the Quake-edge.

Zebstrika @ Life Orb
    Ability: Lightningrod
    - Thunderbolt
    - Overheat
    - HP Ice
    - Wild Charge

Zebstrika for yaaaaay new E-Vire. Max SpA and Speed, Rash for less damage from priority, Life Orb for more power, Moveset for maximum coverage. Wild Charge to take advantage of Physical STAB and Zeb's nice Attack stat. Lightningrod > Motor Drive b/c nothing is faster than Base 100 in-game anyway, so it'd be a waste.

Sawsbuck @ Leftovers
    EVs: 76 Hp / 216 Atk / 216 Spe
    Ability: Sap Sipper
    - Wood Horn
    - Jump Kick
    - Substitute
    - Leech Seed

Bambi <3 Simple SubSeed Sawsbuck replaces Arcanine. 76 Hp EVs is a Lefties and Leech Seed number, 216 Speed EVs outpaces +Natured Base 90's. Shiny Winter Forme just because I can, and because it's the best, imo.

Jellicent @ Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    EVs: 236 Hp / 252 Def / 20 SpA
    Ability: Water Absorb
    - Scald
    - Hex
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp

Typical. Jellicent has no place whatsoever in a Gary team, but I ran out of ideas, ok? Scald + Shadow Ball for coverage and STAB. Recover for healing. WOW for the wow factor ofc and status for ease of capture. 236 Hp EVs hits 400, which is divisible by 16, for obvious reasons. 252 Def for max bulk, the rest in Special Attack for a little more oomph. If you are using Will-O-Wisp then Hex would be better than Shadow Ball

Yeah, that's my crappy GARY MOTHERF*CKING OAK team. I'm back now. Be happy, dang it.

Thanks to Veekun for the sprites.

Fire away, guys.
    My comments are in Bold.

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794

If you are using Will-O-Wisp then Hex would be better than Shadow Ball
    I would like to say something about this.

Imo, Hex is a really poor move. Why? Because the turn it takes to Will-o-Wisp or Toxic or whatever the opponent is hardly any more useful than the setup turn for a move like Solarbeam. In addition, there's a chance that these moves may miss, which only lengthens your setup. And all for just a 20 Base Power boost compared to Shadow Ball? It would take four uses of 100 Base Power Hex to make up for the turn lost setting up. True, a status condition is nice, but imo it's just really not worth it in the context of efficiency.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueRabbit View Post
    I would like to say something about this.

Imo, Hex is a really poor move. Why? Because the turn it takes to Will-o-Wisp or Toxic or whatever the opponent is hardly any more useful than the setup turn for a move like Solarbeam. In addition, there's a chance that these moves may miss, which only lengthens your setup. And all for just a 20 Base Power boost compared to Shadow Ball? It would take four uses of 100 Base Power Hex to make up for the turn lost setting up. True, a status condition is nice, but imo it's just really not worth it in the context of efficiency.
    I beleive you forgot the Burn/Toxic damage there. And of course the defensive benefit of burn. I accept the damage loss is pretty big but on defensive pokemon I dont see why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huspoel View Post
    You're saying some really smart stuff there.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurawarrior8 View Post
    I beleive you forgot the Burn/Toxic damage there. And of course the defensive benefit of burn. I accept the damage loss is pretty big but on defensive pokemon I dont see why not.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBlueRabbit View Post
    True, a status condition is nice, but imo it's just really not worth it in the context of efficiency.
    Was meant to imply that I had considered the damage and etc.

Perhaps on a fully stalling Jellicent, but stall is pretty weak in-game in general. Imo not on a semi-tanking one like this. Tanks still need to be able to hit hard right off the bat, they need a degree of flexibility. Using Hex only rigidifies their attacking potential by forcing a setup.

@Rocky: Sorry that I have to use your rate to make a point, but you've stepped on the mousetrap, so to speak.

All raters, please take note that you should read everything said in a thread before your rate thoroughly. When suggestions are repeated, it's annoying, and borders on spam because this is really common sense.

Thank you.

Also, as for the Hex argument, Alex and I already discussed this over Mibbit yesterday, and we both agree that it's extremely subpar in-game. Whenever possible, Shadow Ball is more effective. Even if a Pokemon is a status platform, it's still not going to rack up as much damage on average, and as TBR said, it forces setup instead of allowing you to tank effectively from the get-go.

tl;dr for Hex.

First post is fully updated.

Agreed. Imo, Hex is really only useful if one plans on laying Toxic Spikes. Since that's the only (almost) surefire way to spread status without wasting a turn.

PC +1?

But I still think even without Hex, Will-o-wisp conflicts with Scald (redundant).

Quote Originally Posted by gyaradosuseddragonrage! View Post
    But I still think even without Hex, Will-o-wisp conflicts with Scald (redundant).
    I'm sure that is why toxic is there then.

Yes that is a Female Dino Charge Red. It's a FanFic thing
    3DS FC: 3995-6518-0794