Page 103 of 334 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,575 of 8345

Thread: Pop Music Thread

Here's the Top 10 for the Hot 100 chart being revealed tomorrow (dated September 10)

1. Moves Like Jagger - Maroon 5
    2. Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO
    3. Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People
    4. Lighters - Bad Meets Evil
    5. Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) - Katy Perry
    6. Super Bass - Nicki Minaj
    7. How to Love - Lil Wayne
    8. Good Life - One Republic
    9. Give Me Everything - Pitbull
    10. Stereo Hearts - Gym Class Heroes

Personal comments:
    -Well, we all knew Moves Like Jagger would make it to #1, but I didn't think it would take the spot so abruptly
    -Looks like Last Friday Night is going to shoot down after getting the top spot, as opposed to a song like Rolling in the Deep which fell slowly
    -My god, with the rate Pumped Up Kicks is climbing, I would not be surprised at all if this was the next #1
    -Interesting to see Give Me Everything back in the Top 10 after what I assume was "She Will"'s huge plummet
    -I personally thought that Cheers would hit the Top 10 before Stereo Hearts would, but considering Cheers is now sitting at #11, they'll both get there
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

Quote Originally Posted by HoennMaster View Post
    Numerous artists reuse the same performances for the same songs. It's nothing new and it doesn't make her lazy.
    Look everyone! There are numerous people running about town naked and shouting 'OOGLABOOGAPOOPHAHA', that means it's okay to do that now!

Quote Originally Posted by Aviere View Post
    By this standard, you dislike pretty much everyone we discuss in this thread because they are a "chart topper". You make no sense; music is music - just because a ballad resonates with a vast amount of people does not mean it is undeserving of a number one spot. It's very rare to have a ballad - especially one of the sort of "Someone Like You" - to get anywhere near the peak of the Hot 100 in this day and age of both shallow music and music listeners, so if anything, that makes it all the more special.
    Ah yes, a perfect dry example as to why Adele's music is so much better than all other music.

Recycling a performance as impactful as the one we saw Sunday isn't cheap or "lazy", it's appropriate, it's smart
    I agree that perhaps the 'laws' are different for vocal-reliant Adele, but let's not delude ourselves here Aviere. We all know Adele's an incredible vocalist, so what does it say to me when she's willing to flog the same donkey and not do something else?

When I first saw her do that performance, it really stood out as a profound moment of the BRITs where amongst all the bravado Adele could just use her vocals to capture the audience. But when she re-did that, I lost most respect fot her. Why now, when Adele was so brave before, had her performance balls suddenly lurched back up? I was expecting her to do something else, and show us again how she can massively b*tchslap award shows with her singing.

And of course, when we're hit by the same slap, of course we're going to be disappointed. What I think, it would have been so much better for her to sing Set Fire to the Rain. Whilst not as soulful, it could have so much more impact, and plus it's a much more complex song to sing so she'd be wowing the audience even more.

So really no- it's not clever. It's downright disappointing on Adele's part, she should've done something else.
    Last edited by Geekachu; 31st August 2011 at 10:39 PM.
    Running for the thrill of it

Newsflash (this time one that people will care about!): Moves Like Jagger hit #1 in the US this week, as I thought. So that's three correct predictions in a row, maybe I'll get lucky and Someone Like You will be #1 next week ^_^
    ミュウ

Quote Originally Posted by Terrakion View Post
    Newsflash (this time one that people will care about!): Moves Like Jagger hit #1 in the US this week, as I thought. So that's three correct predictions in a row, maybe I'll get lucky and Someone Like You will be #1 next week ^_^
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinnoh Champion View Post
    Here's the Top 10 for the Hot 100 chart being revealed tomorrow (dated September 10)

A little late on the news there

Also "You and I" shoots up from #35 to #16 this week, while "Someone Like You" goes from #34 to #19.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME

Quote Originally Posted by KickAsh View Post
    Guess what Gallade did last night? I don't know. Maybe he was at the bar, having a few drinks with his bros because even though he is so awesome he is also agreeable and a normal guy, just like you and me. Maybe he was with a woman. Maybe he was drag racing HORSES, which is a sport he invented. You know what else Gallade invented? The lightbulb.
    AND LIFE ITSELF.

Gallade.

A little late on the news there
    WHYYYYY
    I'm never fast enough ;_;
    Last edited by Retro Mew; 31st August 2011 at 11:01 PM.
    ミュウ

2. Party Rock Anthem - LMFAO
    3. Pumped Up Kicks - Foster the People
    4. Lighters - Bad Meets Evil
    5. Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.) - Katy Perry
    6. Super Bass - Nicki Minaj
    7. How to Love - Lil Wayne
    8. Good Life - One Republic
    9. Give Me Everything - Pitbull
    10. Stereo Hearts - Gym Class Heroes
    Oh my God. Words cannot describe how happy I am for Christina right now; it's her first #1 in ten years if I remember correctly (although this one is shared). And Last Friday Night fell like a stone, which I hadn't counted on. And how is Party Rock Anthem still in the top ten?

Also "You and I" shoots up from #35 to #16 this week, while "Someone Like You" goes from #34 to #19.
    I'm so happy that You and I is climbing the charts, although I was expecting it to enter the top ten this week. And I'm sure that Someone Like You will reach the top ten next week, as sales have been high since Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by Geekachu View Post
    Ah yes, a perfect dry example as to why Adele's music is so much better than all other music.
    Look, I'm sorry that I've managed to steer the topic from Gaga for a page or two (such a crime on my part), but I never said that Adele's music is "better than all other music". I did, however, say (directed at someone else, mind you) that labeling ballads as unessential additions to the top of the Hot 100 was silly. I mean, honestly, is it your goal to harp on everything I state in favor of Adele? I've laid off of Gaga, hell, I've been praising Gaga. Am I wrong in assuming that this is the "Pop Music" thread? It is special, here in America, for a ballad to gain mass popularity, especially with young people. Shame on me for speaking truly.

I'm not even going to address your statement on how you've lost "most respect for her" at length. If you lose nearly all respect for an artist based on a recycled performance, a performance that most Americans had not seen, I don't know what you're going to do about nearly every other musician, because let me tell you, recycling performances isn't anything new.

Again, I've never stated that Adele's music is better than anyone else's, all I've inferred in my time in this thread is that Adele has possibly stolen the spotlight for the year, an unexpected occurrence given Gaga's album release in May. Apparently, to some people in the Pop world, that is a crime beyond forgiveness. I have not committed murder, Geekachu.
    Last edited by Aviere; 31st August 2011 at 11:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    Oh my God. Words cannot describe how happy I am for Christina right now; it's her first #1 in ten years if I remember correctly (although this one is shared). And Last Friday Night fell like a stone, which I hadn't counted on. And how is Party Rock Anthem still in the top ten?
    I am happy for her because she's extremely talented, but just like Katy, I can't stand her in interviews or how she presents herself, not to mention the many stories about how she really is. It makes it hard to celebrate...

I thought LFN was going to remain at the top for at least one more week. I'm happy with the new number 1 but I'm more interested in You and I and Someone Like You. I wonder which one will chart higher. Yes, I'm seeing this as a competition.

I'm going to bet that Someone Like You eventually charts higher. I just think it's a better song, but both artists to me seem more like album sellers. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    this hope is treacherous, this daydream is dangerous.
    ~I've claimed Turtwig~

I don't think Adele would work well with artists like Katy Perry and Nicki Minaj. Adele's style is just too different from those of Katy and Nicki, so their collaboration would be a hot mess. That's just my opinion, though.
    Eh, Nicki's interchangeable. Maybe Florence Welch instead. You could take out Katy, too, and maybe add Hayley Williams. I'm just trying to name different artists since everyone's doing the "BritneyGagaMinaj" combo.

<snip>
    I hate to turn this into a coarse bitter argument, but you really shouldn't take such offense. Whether I loose respect for Adele is within my own disgression, and I don't think that offense should be taken for your favoured artist overall. And surely what I don't understand is that yes, boohoo, most of the American audience probably wouldn't have seen that BRIT performance, but surely that would matter most to Adele fans, ones that watch her performances with such dedication?

And my point in losing respect for her was completely valid, I'll re-iterate: I had respect for her the first time when she said f*ck to theatrics, but to re-use that IMO was very disappointing. Of course it was relevant for me to lose respect if she defiled the thing that made me like her in the first place. So don't take that as some stanning attack against you or Adele since it isn't, I still appreciate Adele as an artist.

Lastly my point earlier about her music being 'typically better than everyone elses' was in a more sarcastic tone. It wasn't aimed at you, I was just commenting on how many people these days judge the genre instead of the artist. I don't know whether the Google Translation for that into Aviere becomes 'Adele's crap I h8 hurr', but no malice against her was what I intended.

I completely respect Adele for what's she's done, but it's in my righteous opinion whether I lose respect over a recycled performance, or the attitude of many today. And it's within my righteous opinion whether I can say that (I mean, give me credit, I'm not barfing 'Adele iz a pile ov crap' over the thread, am I?) so don't take such offense over validated opinion.

Oh my God. Words cannot describe how happy I am for Christina right now; it's her first #1 in ten years if I remember correctly (although this one is shared).

Her last number one was shared too. Her last #1 was Lady Marmalade in 2001. So it's still been 11 eleven years since her last solo #1.

Sad that LFN is fall so fast and I Wanna Go is out of the Top 10 after just a month. Happy for Moves Like Jagger though. I wish Party Rock would fall like a stone.

Look everyone! There are numerous people running about town naked and shouting 'OOGLABOOGAPOOPHAHA', that means it's okay to do that now!
    Dumbest comparison ever.
    Last edited by HoennMaster; 1st September 2011 at 12:28 AM.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Lastly my point earlier about her music being 'typically better than everyone elses' was in a more sarcastic tone. It wasn't aimed at you, I was just commenting on how many people these days judge the genre instead of the artist. I don't know whether the Google Translation for that into Aviere becomes 'Adele's crap I h8 hurr', but no malice against her was what I intended.
    I don't know if you read your post over again, but maybe you should take a look. Your "dry example" comment was directed at me, not Adele. I don't get this defensive over things Adele, I get defensive when a sarcastic statement was perceiveably directed at me. I can let it slide if your words got jumbled in such a manner that it did not come across the way you intended it to, as is the way with the internet.

I organized my post in a certain way for a reason - I briefly addressed your opinion of Adele and how you had "lost respect" for her because that was my secondary point, people have opinions, I'm mature enough to know that not everyone will agree with me, and I'm experienced enough to know that you and I rarely agree on anything. I took issue with your sarcastic inference from my paragraph that I was stating Adele has put out music that exceeds everyone else's. I'm not that shallow.

In short, I respect your opinion of Adele, I take issue with you quoting one thing out of nearly every one of my posts about Adele and finding a problem with it. You ask me to give you credit for forming posts that are obviously well-thought out and aren't plain posts such as "I hate Adele's voice," and other nonsensical statements. I ask you to do me the same justice - my posts aren't "dry".

Dumbest comparison ever.
    To be honest it does meet the same premise of your idiocy stating that a commonly done thing is suddenly acceptable.

I don't know if you read your post over again, but maybe you should take a look. Your "dry example" comment was directed at me, not Adele.
    At face value, yes, but its sentiments weren't. I wouldn't be so coarse towards one of the few willingly good and intelligent discussers on this thread.

I was stating Adele has put out music that exceeds everyone else's. I'm not that shallow.
    Perhaps this was just a little lost in translation, but again it was just moreso a commentary on the attitudes of many people. I understand you have the intellectual depth to respect Adele's music with something more than that, I just personally found something about it worth being sarcastic :P

I take issue with you quoting one thing out of nearly every one of my posts about Adele and finding a problem with it.
    That's just concise reading and debating

I ask you to do me the same justice - my posts aren't "dry".
    They certainly aren't, I just found something about the sentiments in there.
    'Tis all Aviere.

ments weren't. I wouldn't be so coarse towards one of the few willingly good and intelligent discussers on this thread.
    Now that I know that it was not your intent, I see no need to draw this bickering out further. I took no joy in starting an argument with you, it's just at face value, like you mentioned, your comment was surprisingly abrasive, and I was genuinely bitter about one of my points being perceived as dry, given my attempted tact and care in structuring my posts. I appreciate the kind words, and as I'm sure you know, there is a reason why most of my discussions in this thread are with you.

To be honest it does meet the same premise of your idiocy stating that a commonly done thing is suddenly acceptable.
    The only idiocy here would be you. Did I say it was acceptable? No I certainly did not. I said "Numerous artists reuse the same performances". Exact quote. And no, it's not the same premise at all. Reusing a performance and streaking have nothing in common when it comes to what can and can't be done. Obviously you don't pay attention to music since most artists reuse performances including your beloved Gaga. You don't have to be an *** because people have different opinions than you. It makes you look foolish.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

Quote Originally Posted by Dax View Post
    I am happy for her because she's extremely talented, but just like Katy, I can't stand her in interviews or how she presents herself, not to mention the many stories about how she really is. It makes it hard to celebrate...
    Yeah, I like her music more than I like her as a person, but I'm still happy for her. At least now her fans have something to brag about, and I hope that the haters stop calling her "Floptina".

I thought LFN was going to remain at the top for at least one more week. I'm happy with the new number 1 but I'm more interested in You and I and Someone Like You. I wonder which one will chart higher. Yes, I'm seeing this as a competition.
    I also thought that Last Friday Night would stay at number one for another week. I guess Katy will be releasing her sixth TD single soon since LFN is falling.

And although I really do want You and I to chart well, I don't think it'll be able to chart higher than Someone Like You; Adele seems almost unstoppable at the moment.

Haters will never stop calling stars names. At least Floptina is better than Shitney and Caca, etc.

Well LFN is still getting tons of radio airplay so I'm sure it has at least a few more weeks in the Top 10.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

pop music sucks.

Now that I know that it was not your intent, I see no need to draw this bickering out further.
    It's good to know Aviere, no malice intended.

And anyway, we agree on our love for Florence and Marina, eh?

The only idiocy here would be you.
    I suppose people are entitled to their own opinions.

But there's no need to get your ovaries in a twist all the time over silly things. Despite whatever definition of idiocy you uphold, there's no need to be stroppy and pugnacious m'dear, since mirrors are great things to look at before you cast around ill-concieved language as such as 'foolish' and whatnot.

Look who's talking. Hypocrisy is in the air. You're being the exact same way.
    Last edited by HoennMaster; 1st September 2011 at 2:51 AM.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

"Yoü and I" stands absolutely no chance against "Someone Like You". If there were a competition (and there isn't) then Y&I would be pounded into oblivion. SLY is outselling Y&I almost 2 to 1 right now and is a little more radio friendly.

Originally Yoü and I wouldve been much bigger that SLY, but with the boost from the VMA's SLY is looking like Rolling In The Deep: Round 2.
    ミュウ

I think Someone Like You would beat You and I regardless. Someone Like You definitely appeals to a bigger audience than You and I.
    Alpha Sapphire

Omega Ruby

And anyway, we agree on our love for Florence and Marina, eh?
    For sure. I can't wait for their albums... Nicola's too. ♥

Quote Originally Posted by Terrakion View Post
    "Yoü and I" stands absolutely no chance against "Someone Like You". If there were a competition (and there isn't) then Y&I would be pounded into oblivion. SLY is outselling Y&I almost 2 to 1 right now and is a little more radio friendly.

Originally Yoü and I wouldve been much bigger that SLY, but with the boost from the VMA's SLY is looking like Rolling In The Deep: Round 2.
    Figured I'd weigh in on this - I agree, pre-VMAs, "Yoü and I" was going to outperform "Someone Like You" by a noticeable margin... obviously "Y&I" will be successful, it's a Gaga song, but I'm not sure if it can topple "SLY" after what went down on Sunday. We'll see, I'm still curious about the airplay they'll both get. Can't wait for next week's Hot 100.

Oh, and Terrakion's right - this isn't a competition.

omg. I can't believe Dev's album still hasn't leaked!

FRIEND CODE: Pokemon Y - 4399-0179-3036 (Alex)
    FRIEND SAFARI: ELECTRIC

Emolga - Helioptile - Manectric
    Bug Catcher Kreayshawn

Page 103 of 334 FirstFirst ... 3539399100101102103104105106107113153203 ... LastLast